PDA

View Full Version : Saputo Expects to Enter MLS 2011

Shway
04-16-2009, 05:56 PM
MLS RUMORS REPORTS:

Knowing that time is running out on his clubs chances of entering MLS, Montreal's Joey Saputo has turned from jogging to a full court press ahead of next weeks MLS Board of Governors Meeting.

We received the following from a MLSR reader from the 24th Minute blog: (http://www.24thminute.com/2009/04/update-mls-to-montreal-in-2011.html)

According to reputable Montreal columnist Réjean Tremblay (http://www.cyberpresse.ca/opinions/chroniqueurs/rejean-tremblay/200904/16/01-847043-une-difference-exageree.php), Joey Saputo expects an answer from the Quebec government about the 25$ million Stade Saputo expansion money, within the next 3 weeks. He has officially asked new Quebec finance minister Raymond Bachand and Quebec minister of Education, Sport and Leisure Michelle Courchesne to back him up in his quest. Saputo mentions "Mr Bachand was already aware of the importance for Montreal to get in to the highest level of professional soccer in north america, and i expect a very quick answer". Apparently, Saputo expects the MLS to announce another expansion, within the next few weeks. Seeing the big success of Vancouver, he believes there is a big possibility a slot will open up for an eastern franchise for the 2011 season.

Shway
04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
For some apparent reason, i think it can be done

kodiakTFC
04-16-2009, 06:29 PM
3 Canadian MLS teams we're set!

drewski
04-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I think melnyk could make it an interesting race for the 3rd (and most likely final) Canadian team

rocker
04-16-2009, 07:23 PM
let's have 4 Canadian teams in MLS!!!! let's get Montreal AND Ottawa in the league... that would be sweet.. more hated rivalries for us.. plus a fuller Canadian championship..

nascarguy
04-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Quebec is full assholes and we all ready have too many assholes in the mls.

I give the Saputo assholes next few weeks to see if this is a lie

rocker
04-16-2009, 08:02 PM

you do make a good point, nascar!

Jack
04-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Tic tac

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-16-2009, 08:25 PM

He may want in...but do MLS need him.....NO...let the Impact wait.

Markham_RPB
04-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Tic tac

Tabernac, who the FCUK is the IMPACT.

BFin
04-16-2009, 08:34 PM
This just in:
Saputo expects to be a douche past 2012

Tommy
04-16-2009, 08:43 PM
The more teams in the mls, the better!

Redcoe15
04-16-2009, 08:50 PM
He may want in...but do MLS need him.....NO...let the Impact wait.
Uh, no. If Joey Saputo has seen the light, and the Quebec government pitches in, Montreal WILL get in. Guaranteed. Don Garber never slammed the door shut on Montreal. Canadian soccer would be far better serviced having Montreal in MLS than Ottawa.

bee dubya
04-16-2009, 08:58 PM
^ and I think the MLS would be better served having Montreal in the league instead of Ottawa. It's a bigger market and it's has a bigger television audience (french Canada).

It'll definitely be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Shway
04-16-2009, 09:26 PM
imagine that games toronto FC vs. Montreal games would get moved into Rogers Center, and Olympic Stadium

i could see 5,000+ supporters travelling

torfchamilton
04-16-2009, 09:32 PM
The more teams in the mls, the better!

Agreed and more importantly nice avatar

Heathen
04-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Ah but the Impact wouldn't be able to schedule the games for weekdays then to stop us from travelling

Keystone FC
04-17-2009, 01:18 AM
imagine that games toronto FC vs. Montreal games would get moved into Rogers Center, and Olympic Stadium

i could see 5,000+ supporters travelling

If this happens I just hope security is better in T.O. and Montreal than in CBus. Tasers, Teargas, and Whirlybirds oh my.

kodiakTFC
04-17-2009, 02:59 AM
If this happens I just hope security is better in T.O. and Montreal than in CBus. Tasers, Teargas, and Whirlybirds oh my.

I've seen Montreal's riot police in action, it was pathetic.

Marc"2L"
04-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Cut Dallas, Let PHP become a gridiron stadium.
Enter Olympique Montreal.

Buddy up with the other OM who share colours and they're set.

trane
04-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Like it or not the Impact are one of the better Football clubs/organizations in North America, if the MLS is to keep being the top league then it is in their interest to have a club of their qualitiy in the league. I thought the deal falling through the first time was silly, just Garber playing hard ball. He then turned aourd and gave a franchise for 35 Million, which , correct me if I am wrong included the cost of an SSS. Montreal had offered 40 including improvements to thier exsisting SSS.

Jack
04-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Bah!

Tic tac tabernaque!

:D

Parkdale
04-17-2009, 09:35 AM
hahaha.....

I really want them to get into MLS, just because we can have a rival in a city that we actually WANT to visit.

suck it Columbus!

TIC TAC

Shway
04-17-2009, 10:09 AM
^^^thats the exact reason why i wanted Ottawa in, we need to stop bring up CumBus attendance averages

Keegan
04-17-2009, 12:03 PM

hahaha nascar reminds me of the marty biron impression on 550 AM. hahah

"Pancakes good"

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Uh, no. If Joey Saputo has seen the light, and the Quebec government pitches in, Montreal WILL get in. Guaranteed. Don Garber never slammed the door shut on Montreal. Canadian soccer would be far better serviced having Montreal in MLS than Ottawa.

seen the light or not...let the man sit out a few more years yet at least to 2015-16 at the earliest

Shway
04-17-2009, 12:28 PM
why do you say this?

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-17-2009, 12:39 PM
why do you say this?

the man had his chance...thumbed his nose at the league and the way
expansion is priced...didnt get his way and went off sulking...MLS will be fine without Montreal the league does not need them..let them be a big fish in a little USL pond.

Lucky Strike
04-17-2009, 12:44 PM

Indeed. 'Nuff said.

Redcoe15
04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
expansion is priced...didnt get his way and went off sulking...MLS will be fine without Montreal the league does not need them..let them be a big fish in a little USL pond.
That's your opinion. But, in case you wern't aware, there's not a whole lot of quality soccer markets out there for MLS to go into. And, like it or not (and we all know how much you despise it), Montreal IS a quality soccer market, as evident by the large crowd that turned up for the CONCACAF Champions match at the Big O this February. And Don Garber is fully aware of this, which is why he hasn't turned his back on Montreal joining MLS. If Joey Saputo has indeed seen the light, there's no reason that Montreal won't be in MLS in the forseable future. But I'm sure you can make up some on your own.

Keystone FC
04-17-2009, 02:32 PM
hahaha.....

I really want them to get into MLS, just because we can have a rival in a city that we actually WANT to visit.

suck it Columbus!

TIC TAC

Believe me. I want this as much as you.

TABERNAC

egoodwin
04-17-2009, 02:39 PM
if the MLS has Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa,

Do you think it is conceivable to think that the Nutrilite Canadian Championship will be done away with, and instead of having separate games, the games would be just the games that are in the MLS schedule?

Afterall, we'd play Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver twice in the league already... no need to add another 6 games to an already crowded schedule

drewski
04-17-2009, 02:52 PM
I have a feeling Canada wont' get a 4th team. Its an American league and I think they'd like to get at least one more American team in

Parkdale
04-17-2009, 02:53 PM

Do you think it is conceivable to think that the Nutrilite Canadian Championship will be done away with, and instead of having separate games, the games would be just the games that are in the MLS schedule?

Afterall, we'd play Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver twice in the league already... no need to add another 6 games to an already crowded schedule

good point, but I'm not sure how it would work with sponsorship.
Plus MLS seems to be all about superliga action, and ignores anything else.

flatpicker
04-17-2009, 03:01 PM

but in order to qualify for Champions League, a team needs to advance through a domestic league or competition.
- as far as I understand it...

Therefore, MLS games would not qualify as Canadian "fixtures" or some such thing. Perhaps the rules can be bent though.

That said... I don't mind extra games against Canadian teams.
I like the Canadian Championship... I like having a soccer competition of that calibre that is all our own.

keem-o-sabi
04-17-2009, 03:12 PM
maybe you'd have the CSL and any leftover USL1 groups in with the MLS clubs and have a true Canadian Open type cup?

ParadymeTFC
04-17-2009, 04:16 PM

So the MLS is better off with teams like Dallas pulling sub 6k attendance? Sounds a little off.

ExiledRed
04-17-2009, 04:23 PM
$40 million was absurd.

Saputo is a businessman, he did the smart thing trying to get the fee down.

Gerber played hardball and lost the chance to bring an almost guaranteed success into the league.

Not the smart thing.

Tommy
04-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Agreed and more importantly nice avatar
Thanks, PAOK 4 LIFE:hump:

Cashcleaner
04-17-2009, 05:00 PM
$40 million was absurd.

Gerber played hardball and lost the chance to bring an almost guaranteed success into the league.

Not the smart thing.

That's how I saw it. If Montreal doesn't make it in MLS, there's really no loss from Saputo but the league misses out on what could be a very lucrative market.

rocker
04-17-2009, 06:06 PM
That's how I saw it. If Montreal doesn't make it in MLS, there's really no loss from Saputo but the league misses out on what could be a very lucrative market.

I don't think the difference between Montreal and Portland or Montreal and Vancouver is much, if anything. Montreal's stadium expansion plans would have been far less than Portland or Vancouver's. Stadiums are revenue generators for MLS, given the revenue sharing that goes on.

Vancouver is a lucrative market, Portland is a lucrative market. Actually, given the supporters group already existing in Portland, one could make the argument that Portland's fan base is much stronger than Montreal's. The Montreal Ultras are a fraction of the Portland supporters.

Cashcleaner
04-17-2009, 06:20 PM
^ Hmmm, that's a pretty good point.

Though while we could agree that Portland has more supporters than Montreal, Montreal has more potential fans than Portland. Though Portland is looking good as well.

egoodwin
04-17-2009, 07:02 PM
it would encourage teams to field their A squads and not take it lightly, like TFC did last year

BRed
04-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Road trip to Montreal..yayy!

boban
04-17-2009, 08:09 PM

Spun the other way, no need to lose 6 games of revenue generation now is it?
And for my liking, as has been said, I like the fact we have a separate competition for Canada. It's basically cup games much like other leagues have.

backbeat
04-17-2009, 08:11 PM
all I can say is.....

I was so disappointed when Montreal pulled out
the rivalry is classic
the proximity fantastic
the two nations historic
it would be a delight to have our polar twin as part of the fray
the upper and lower nations
traveling down the MacDonald - Cartier Freeway
it just breathes football.....

Razcle
04-17-2009, 08:17 PM
$40 million was absurd.

Not the smart thing.

I wouldn't judge Garber's business tactics until you see the results of his decisions. If Vancouver or Portand are a flop, then it was a poor decision not to bring Montreal into the mix, however if they are both successes, Garber is a smart man for standing his ground.

PS...this also allows us to redicule the L'impact for still being a USL-1 division team for a longer period of time:D

Gazza_55
04-19-2009, 02:08 PM
$40 million was absurd.

Not the smart thing.

If $40 million is absurd how is Joey going to feel when he has to $50m to get in 3 or 4 years from now. Garber didn't lose anything. Vancouver is more of a sure thing than Montreal and he will gladly welcome the Impact in 2014 for an extra $15m.

ExiledRed
04-19-2009, 02:18 PM
If $40 million is absurd how is Joey going to feel when he has to $50m to get in 3 or 4 years from now. Garber didn't lose anything. Vancouver is more of a sure thing than Montreal and he will gladly welcome the Impact in 2014 for an extra $15m.

Given the economic climate, if Gerber asks for $50m on the next franchise, he's lost the plot.

I'll wager with you, although it'll take a long time to resolve, that fee will go down.

S_D
04-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Spun the other way, no need to lose 6 games of revenue generation now is it?
And for my liking, as has been said, I like the fact we have a separate competition for Canada. It's basically cup games much like other leagues have.

Just add to that CONCAFF has to get it's cut too.

apetimberlake
04-19-2009, 03:38 PM

This comming from a guy that likes Nascar.

Gazza_55
04-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Given the economic climate, if Gerber asks for $50m on the next franchise, he's lost the plot.

I'll wager with you, although it'll take a long time to resolve, that fee will go down.

You are having a laugh. Garber can't put the fee down because then he'll have to give a rebate to Portland and Vancouver. The franchise fee will be $40m or above or MLS won't expand. It just will not be worth it.

Redcoe15
04-19-2009, 04:08 PM
You are having a laugh. Garber can't put the fee down because then he'll have to give a rebate to Portland and Vancouver. The franchise fee will be $40m or above or MLS won't expand. It just will not be worth it.
Vancouver and Portland actually paid $35 million for their franchises, so anything is negotiable. I doubt if the fee will go any lower than that but, in this economy, there's no way it'll go much higher.

boban
04-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Well he did give a break to Van and Portland already.
It wasn't $40 mil but $35 mil each.
And considering there are less markets to go to, in conjunction with the economic climate I am agreeing with Excile here and betting it will be less than $40 mil. It just may be even less than $35 mil.

rocker
04-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Vancouver and Portland actually paid $35 million for their franchises, so anything is negotiable. I doubt if the fee will go any lower than that but, in this economy, there's no way it'll go much higher.

The thing is, Saputo's fee offer was drastically lower than $35 million USD.

So he's gotta at least get that offer to 35 million USD before Garber even considers his stadium expansion plans. In the end, Garber will get much more than Saputo initially offered, and Saputo will not get much of a "deal" on the initial asking price (Saputo's offer was much less than $30 million USD).

Garber wins in the end.

troy1982
04-19-2009, 04:20 PM
$40 million was absurd.

Not the smart thing.

MLS courted Mr. Saputo 10 years ago when the asking price was only 5 million but Joey just ridiculed the league back then. Now it looks like he will be paying 45 million.

I think Garber has won this battle.

Roogsy
04-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I could care less if Montreal makes it into MLS.

But the one good thing that would happen is as Parkdale said, travel to Columbus would become less important.

In fact...we could make the argument that the "Trillium Cup" will become more irrelevant than it already is and the Crew, their inept FO and militant police force will never make money off of TFC again.

Beach_Red
04-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Well he did give a break to Van and Portland already.
It wasn't $40 mil but $35 mil each.
And considering there are less markets to go to, in conjunction with the economic climate I am agreeing with Excile here and betting it will be less than $40 mil. It just may be even less than $35 mil.

Or, there could be no expansion at all until the "economic climate" improves and they can put the fee back up.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Montreal is an unsafe market for pro sports teams outside of Hockey

Original Alouettes CFL...folded..became the Concordes..folded Became the
Alouttes again. Montreal Expos..MLB RIP in washington...Montreal express NLL died a quick death..So Garber would be smart to avoid this city. Oh yes the Impact left the USL because
of financial problems in the past....

Beach_Red
04-19-2009, 05:03 PM
^ The failure of the Als/Concordes/Als in Olympic Stadium really has no bearing on the Als in Molson Stadium where they are a huge success.

Redcoe15
04-19-2009, 06:15 PM

Alouttes again. Montreal Expos..MLB RIP in washington...Montreal express NLL died a quick death..So Garber would be smart to avoid this city. Oh yes the Impact left the USL because
:frown2::icon_bs:

Gazza_55
04-19-2009, 08:51 PM

I know that they paid $35m that is why the next round has to be more.

Hitcho
04-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Actually I think from a Canadian perspective it's essential that Montreal get an MLS franchise and the sooner the better. Imagine how much TFC v Montreal games are going to raise the profile of the game in Canada - even 40 year old hockey nuts are going to cast an eye on those games (albeit for likely non-soccer related reasons) and the press coverage they'd get would be significantly more than TFC vs kansas/chivas etc. Raising the profile will engender more grass roots support, get more kids into the game, bring more money into the game through ticket sales, increased tv audiences etc and all of that will ultimately help the future of the game in Canada, including ultimately the CMNT in the long term.

Plus Montreal has a genuine soccer community, adds a gallic flavour the league will never otherwise acquire (and MLS would love to corner some French interest in their league, because even Francophones living in the US might get on board with a Montreal MLS side) and will match the kind of TFC/Seattle expansion success that MLS is now looking for.

Opinion on Saputo is neither here nor there frankly, and that goes for garber too frankly. he might have been a bit of a knob about the whole thing last time round, but that cost him an earlier expansion spot, so he paid for that. But going forward, MLS has to make bigger decisions that what people think of Saputo.

I'd love to see Montreal come in to the league over Ottawa or anyone else for that matter. Just scrap the US/Canada player distinction for MLS designation purposes or all the Canadian teams are gonna get fucked and end up with severely weakened rosters.

Hitcho
04-20-2009, 11:52 AM

Montreal might be French Canadian, but the bottom line is that soccer is much more of a French game than hockey is, and certainly the likes of baseball. So to compare fan support for soccer to other sports is comparing apples and oranges.

Blizzard
04-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Montreal might be French Canadian, but the bottom line is that soccer is much more of a French game than hockey is, and certainly the likes of baseball. So to compare fan support for soccer to other sports is comparing apples and oranges.

Yes but at the same time, Quebec and France are not the same thing so one can't relate support of soccer in Quebec to support of soccer in France. That is also apples and oranges. That's not to say Montreal won't do well. I believe they will and they are a much safer bet than Ottawa IMO.

Cashcleaner
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM
The Quebecois see themselves as exactly that - Quebecois. There isn't much loyalty to France in the province. Hockey is the undisputed King of Sports in Quebec.

Dirk Diggler
04-20-2009, 05:14 PM
The Quebecois see themselves as exactly that - Quebecois. There isn't much loyalty to France in the province. Hockey is the undisputed King of Sports in Quebec.

LOL yeah. I don't know why people believe the French crap still. It's like saying that Ontario loves soccer because we have English roots.

boban
04-20-2009, 06:06 PM
You'd be surprised. Cheick Kongo sure got a lot of support Saturday night.

Get In There
04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
all I can say is.....

I was so disappointed when Montreal pulled out
the rivalry is classic
the proximity fantastic
the two nations historic
it would be a delight to have our polar twin as part of the fray
the upper and lower nations
traveling down the MacDonald - Cartier Freeway
it just breathes football.....

Fantastic Post

The most needed and meaningful possible rivalry - look at the animosity in this thread, anticipation of the home rematch, (I'm frick'n in Scotland that week) and the history. About as Canadian as it can get (sorry western folks..;)

B

K1nG
04-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Impact FC will instantly become our biggest rivals.

AL-MO
04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Impact FC will instantly become our biggest rivals.

They already are! ;)

Oldtimer
04-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Plus Montreal has a genuine soccer community, adds a gallic flavour the league will never otherwise acquire (and MLS would love to corner some French interest in their league, because even Francophones living in the US might get on board with a Montreal MLS side) and will match the kind of TFC/Seattle expansion success that MLS is now looking for.

Somehow, the thought of folks in New Orleans cheering for Montreal seems a little unusual, but stranger things have happened.

gtaguy
04-21-2009, 07:00 PM
I would welcome Montreal with open arms however i think that they might have left a bad taste in major league soccers mouths ..
Its definetely wishful thinking and we all know that the american mentality is "you piss us off and we just embargo your asses"...

Shway
06-29-2009, 10:04 AM
"Montreal Wont Give Up On MLS Franchise"

http://www.24thminute.com/2009/06/montreal-wont-give-up-on-mls-franchise.html

"Montreal bowed out of the running (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2008/11/21/mls-montreal-expansion.html) for an MLS expansion franchise last November, months before it came down to the decision of actually picking a city. As we all know, it was Vancouver and Portland that ended up making it happen. However, Joey Saputo renewed his interest following Montreal's successful run in the CONCACAF Champions League, and started to go to MLS offices semi-regularly to brute-force a franchise in for 2011. In the past, Garber made it clear that MLS was not interested in granting a team for that year. It seemed, for a while, that Saputo's interest was Biff-Tannen-like in its disregard for reciprocation. (I'm okay with describing Portland as George McFly in this metaphor.)
"

Nodoubtguy
06-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Six Oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Rudi
06-29-2009, 04:41 PM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3793/44/125/1649910051/n1649910051_191329_6686326.jpg

TFC Kevin
06-29-2009, 04:53 PM
They can't succeed, their team sucks and they have no fans.

Yohan
06-29-2009, 05:05 PM
They can't succeed, their team sucks and they have no fans.
they have no fans?

apparently the TFC vs Impact game was nearly sold out. it's just rain that kept the crowd away.

UM02 looked pretty good, showing up in good numbers

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-29-2009, 05:07 PM
they have no fans?

apparently the TFC vs Impact game was nearly sold out. it's just rain that kept the crowd away.

Rain wouldnt keep real supporters away!!

Dirk Diggler
06-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Now that Gillett is out of the Montreal sports scene, can he still expect any support from him in regards to an expansion team? Personally I don't think his contribution into the Montreal bid was significant in the first place but it would be interesting to see if Gillett is a man of his words (i.e. his constant talk of being involved in the Canadian professional sports scene).

Chewy Unikronik
06-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Rain wouldnt keep real supporters away!!
Can we stop with this constant dick measuring?

prizby
06-29-2009, 06:50 PM
problem with canadian teams is that when it comes to x amount of domestic players, the talent is not there

drewski
06-29-2009, 06:50 PM
they have no fans?

+1

and their supporters are strong enough to get terracing in.

as for sucking, the team they have in USL and the team they'd have in MLS are markedly different, just look at Seattle

Roogsy
06-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Can we stop with this constant dick measuring?

When you have a huge schlong, it's all you can do to keep it in the pants! :D

j/k

jimiv
06-29-2009, 09:35 PM
let's have 4 Canadian teams in MLS!!!! let's get Montreal AND Ottawa in the league... that would be sweet.. more hated rivalries for us.. plus a fuller Canadian championship..

If Ottawa doesn't go MLS perhaps the Fury can move up to USL 1st division and still be a part of the Canadian Championship...:canada:

Ossington Mental Youth
06-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Ottawa wont be going to the MLS, that being said id love to see them in the USL

greatwhitenorf
06-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Give them a team, already. It would let us shift into a natural derby and away from the contrived Columbus claptrap. The Crew will flounder soon after, without having us to prop them up. The team will be forced to move and Hugene Melnyk can step in, throw bags of money at MLS and shift them to Ottawa, creating a nice balance to our Canadian championship.

CretanBull
06-29-2009, 10:59 PM
French people in Montreal don't exactly identify with France as a country, but believe me when it comes to World Cup time you'll see French Canadians who's families have been in Canada for 300 years flying French flags. Before the MLS landed in Toronto, soccer was bigger in Montreal than anywhere else in Canada.

ExiledRed
06-29-2009, 11:03 PM
I'd like to see a MLS team in Montreal.

Just not the impact, they can go to hell, it would be funnier if a different owner bought a franchise there instead.

CretanBull
06-29-2009, 11:04 PM

Just not the impact, they can go to hell, it would be funnier if a different owner bought a franchise there instead.

That would be brilliant. We could hate that new team, and the new team and us could hate the Impact.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-29-2009, 11:27 PM
French people in Montreal don't exactly identify with France as a country, but believe me when it comes to World Cup time you'll see French Canadians who's families have been in Canada for 300 years flying French flags. Before the MLS landed in Toronto, soccer was bigger in Montreal than anywhere else in Canada.

Are you serious? I find that quite strange. Quebec has been under British or Canadian sovereignty for far longer than it ever was under French sovereignty. I can understand why Quebecers love to wave the fleur-de-lis, but what does the tricolore have to do with Quebec? The modern French flag is a symbol of a revolution that took place AFTER Quebec was ceded to Britain!

Toronto Ruffrider
06-29-2009, 11:29 PM

Haha, I would laugh my ass off if that happened. Maybe the Impact could join the Toronto Lynx in the PDL.:lol:

Dirk Diggler
06-29-2009, 11:30 PM
That would be funny but unfortunately that won't be happening ... especially in this financial climate. Even in Toronto, MLSE were the only ones willing to invest in MLS so I'm assuming outside of Saputo, there are not that many people lining up to bring MLS to Montreal.

CretanBull
06-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Are you serious? I find that quite strange. Quebec has been under British or Canadian sovereignty for far longer than it ever was under French sovereignty. I can understand why Quebecers love to wave the fleur-de-lis, but what does the tricolore have to do with Quebec? The modern French flag is a symbol of a revolution that took place AFTER Quebec was ceded to Britain!

Oh, I know...but trust me come World Cup time the French Flag is everywhere. I was in Montreal during the '98 and '02 WCs and it was crazy.

Cashcleaner
06-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Ottawa wont be going to the MLS, that being said id love to see them in the USL

I absolutely completely agree. Well, at least with Melnyk's porposal of putting the stadium out in Kanata across from Scotiabank Centre. I took a trip to Ottawa coming back from the game in Montreal and stopped by the arena and the site for the possible soccer stadium. I gotta tell you, it's amazing that anyone from the city is willing to take the trip out that way to see the Sens play and I really don't see them doing the same for a soccer club. I was told the city is digging a subway system, but it won't be finished until 2016 and the line out to Kanata hasn't even been confirmed.

kodiakTFC
06-30-2009, 12:11 AM

Just wanted to comment on CretanBull's comments and say he is completely correct.

1. The French footie team is huge in Quebec and the only other teams that get support are the Italian and Portuguese (many of them live in Montreal).

2. Soccer is still bigger in Quebec than Ontario, I'd put money on it. Come Champions League, it is not hard to find a bar packed with soccer supporters watching the game. Same goes with Saturday and Sundays with EPL, la liga, etc.

3. Consider the fact that the Impact, a USL team, get around 12k in attendance a season... A USL TEAM! The next highest team attendance wise in the USL is Portland with 8000, vancouver with 5000, and then your looking at many 3000 and belows. The Impact wouldn't just be successful in Quebec, they would explode as they have in Toronto and Seattle.

MLS in Montreal is a win-win because no one has the french tv rights, SRC or RDS or w/e, will pick up the games and trust me, the Quebecers have nothing else to support during the summer, they'll watch.

kodiakTFC
06-30-2009, 12:14 AM
I absolutely completely agree. Well, at least with Melnyk's porposal of putting the stadium out in Kanata across from Scotiabank Centre. I took a trip to Ottawa coming back from the game in Montreal and stopped by the arena and the site for the possible soccer stadium. I gotta tell you, it's amazing that anyone from the city is willing to take the trip out that way to see the Sens play and I really don't see them doing the same for a soccer club. I was told the city is digging a subway system, but it won't be finished until 2016 and the line out to Kanata hasn't even been confirmed.

Hockey is the countries biggest sport, I am not shocked people go all that way to see it. However, soccer in this country is niche and for it to be a success in Ottawa they would need to put it right downtown to make it as easily accessible as possible. MLSE had the right idea on this one, I dream of the day when we play on lakeshore beside Union.

Cashcleaner
06-30-2009, 01:07 AM
^ Well, it was touch-and-go for Ottawa for a while. I think if they stuck to a location downtown it would have been for the better.

CretanBull
06-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Downtown would have been better for the team itself, but dumping it out in the middle of nowhere would (somehow) lend credibility to the stupid mistake of putting the Scotiabank Centre out in the middle of nowhere.

twistedchinaman
06-30-2009, 03:30 AM
MLS cities: Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal
USL cities: Ottawa, Edmonton
PDL cities: Calgary, Winnipeg, Halifax

There.

kodiakTFC
06-30-2009, 03:59 AM
MLS cities: Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal
USL cities: Ottawa, Edmonton
PDL cities: Calgary, Winnipeg, Halifax

There.

I agree but I wouldn't mind seeing a Mississauga and Quebec City USL teams either.

C.Ronaldo
06-30-2009, 08:29 AM
^ damn straight.

Mississauga needs a summer pro team as it forms its own identity in the GTA.

Beach_Red
06-30-2009, 08:43 AM
2. Soccer is still bigger in Quebec than Ontario, I'd put money on it. Come Champions League, it is not hard to find a bar packed with soccer supporters watching the game. Same goes with Saturday and Sundays with EPL, la liga, etc.

So there's still the challenge of turning those fans into MLS fans.

Of course, that's the league's biggest challenge all over North America, isn't it? The quality of play isn't good enough to appeal to those Champion League, EPL, la liga, etc., fans but there aren't enough other fans willing to pay enough for tickets to raise the quality of play.

It's hard to use Seattle and Toronto as examples because it's still a novelty. I don't know about Seattle, but novelties wear off in Toronto.

TFCforever87
06-30-2009, 10:24 AM
So there's still the challenge of turning those fans into MLS fans.

Of course, that's the league's biggest challenge all over North America, isn't it? The quality of play isn't good enough to appeal to those Champion League, EPL, la liga, etc., fans but there aren't enough other fans willing to pay enough for tickets to raise the quality of play.

It's hard to use Seattle and Toronto as examples because it's still a novelty. I don't know about Seattle, but novelties wear off in Toronto.

Last time I recalled Toronto has never lost a professional sports team (aside from the roadrunners in the AHL) yes support seems to fade but there is always going to be a demand for sports in Toronto....football (MLS) is on its way up along with the NFL. NHL is going down (thank the US, I dont blame them etheir) and MLB and NBA have been the same for years not growing but not getting any smaller. Give it a couple more years the MLS will be considered with the NFL, NHL, MLB and NBA as the 5 big North American Sport Leagues. Soon MLS is going to have to start having and Prem and a Championship (well I dont know if that would work in the US that could damage the interest) we will soon see the change of the N.A. landscape of sports.

rocker
06-30-2009, 10:28 AM
^ damn straight.

i wish Hazel would put some money into a decent small soccer stadium.
i mean, a real stadium with proper stands, not just fields.

we have enough hockey arenas in mississauga.

C.Ronaldo
06-30-2009, 10:31 AM
^ me thinks its time to write up a letter

prizby
06-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Last time I recalled Toronto has never lost a professional sports team (aside from the roadrunners in the AHL) yes support seems to fade but there is always going to be a demand for sports in Toronto....football (MLS) is on its way up along with the NFL. NHL is going down (thank the US, I dont blame them etheir) and MLB and NBA have been the same for years not growing but not getting any smaller. Give it a couple more years the MLS will be considered with the NFL, NHL, MLB and NBA as the 5 big North American Sport Leagues. Soon MLS is going to have to start having and Prem and a Championship (well I dont know if that would work in the US that could damage the interest) we will soon see the change of the N.A. landscape of sports.

umm didn't Toronto lose the Toronto Phantoms of the arena football league?

didn't toronto at one time have an indoor soccer team too?

MLS will not be the 5th, maybe they'll be the 6th, but the 5th already is Nascar, who actually have more revenues then the NHL

prizby
06-30-2009, 10:48 AM

we have enough hockey arenas in mississauga.

i think mississauga have a decent mayor who will support this

TFCforever87
06-30-2009, 11:02 AM
umm didn't Toronto lose the Toronto Phantoms of the arena football league?

didn't toronto at one time have an indoor soccer team too?

MLS will not be the 5th, maybe they'll be the 6th, but the 5th already is Nascar, who actually have more revenues then the NHL

Nascar a sport :rolleyes: alright to some people it is I guess...and Arena football and indoor soccer dont count....two joke leagues...teams move year after year in those leagues.....would be nice if we could support them but hey I guess people in Toronto only want the "big" sport leagues. and yeah Nascar is a sport? HAHA! mabye if they did something other then driving in circles for 5 hours it would be a sport or if they added some more road courses.

Yohan
06-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Nascar a sport :rolleyes: alright to some people it is I guess...and Arena football and indoor soccer dont count....two joke leagues...teams move year after year in those leagues.....would be nice if we could support them but hey I guess people in Toronto only want the "big" sport leagues. and yeah Nascar is a sport? HAHA! mabye if they did something other then driving in circles for 5 hours it would be a sport or if they added some more road courses.
whether you think it should be a sport or not is not going to change the fact that car race is hugely popular, and cuts into room for growth of football in Canada

prizby
06-30-2009, 11:21 AM

unfortuately, yes it is a "sport" and one that is doing, very, very well (don't try to argue this, i had to make a presentation (about what they are doing right) on this 2 years ago, much to my displeasure...and yes they doing better than the NHL, you can't discredit them without discreding hockey)

Pookie
06-30-2009, 11:26 AM
There are a couple of benefits I see to having both Ottawa and Montreal in the MLS.

1. It will really force the issue of development for Canadian players. With the "Domestic player rule", Canadian talent will be in demand and conversely there will be demands made on the talent pool and those responsible for it

2. More competition locally should force MLSE to be very responsive to its fans. From ticket prices, to friendlies, to grass, to a roof, to atmosphere, to quality on the field, to designated players, to you name it... if Ottawa/Montreal were to upstage our FO, to quote Donnie Brasco, "someone's gonna get clipped."

Right now, MLSE has a monopoly on the MLS market in Ontario and Canada for that matter. A little competition would keep things honest.

Yohan
06-30-2009, 11:49 AM
There are a couple of benefits I see to having both Ottawa and Montreal in the MLS.

1. It will really force the issue of development for Canadian players. With the "Domestic player rule", Canadian talent will be in demand and conversely there will be demands made on the talent pool and those responsible for it
Maybe in a long term, but in short term, I think MLS will have to change the domestic player rule so that both Yanks and Canucks count as domestic.

Vancouver has couple of years to try to stock up on Canadian talents, but if Mtl and Ottawa gets in also, it'll seriously cramp up Canadian talent pool, with crappy players (haha Braz and Reda) being overpriced and you'll get teams that look like TFC year 1.

2. More competition locally should force MLSE to be very responsive to its fans. From ticket prices, to friendlies, to grass, to a roof, to atmosphere, to quality on the field, to designated players, to you name it... if Ottawa/Montreal were to upstage our FO, to quote Donnie Brasco, "someone's gonna get clipped."

Right now, MLSE has a monopoly on the MLS market in Ontario and Canada for that matter. A little competition would keep things honest.
As long as MLSE has a lock on Ontario market, and BMO keeps selling out, I don't think MLSE would be too concerned.

For some reason I can't see TFC fans jumping ship to an Ottawa franchise, not for a next little while.

Cashcleaner
06-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Personally, I don't really see how there would be much interest for USL or PDL teams in Canada anymore. The way I figure it, if Toronto FC continues to grow and Vancouver and Montreal become just as recognizable, people are just going to follow those three teams and forget about anyone else.

Steve
06-30-2009, 12:54 PM

The same thing many flags that come out in Toronto during the world cup have to do with those waving them? Which team do you expect them to support? Obviously they aren't a fan of the british (for too many reasons to count) so they aren't going to jump on the England bandwagon. And, since they speak the same language, it seems a natural fit.

SilverSamurai
06-30-2009, 01:06 PM
The same thing many flags that come out in Toronto during the world cup have to do with those waving them? Which team do you expect them to support? Obviously they aren't a fan of the british (for too many reasons to count) so they aren't going to jump on the England bandwagon. And, since they speak the same language, it seems a natural fit.
Go Haiti? Cote d'Ivoire? lol
I know, Senegal!

I think the east coast would support a semi-pro team, in USL. It's not like they'd have any other sports to compete with out there.

I'm actually surprised their's no CFL franchise out there. It's not that far of a drive getting around.
I'd think Halifax or Moncton would be the natural fits. Halifax is bigger, but Moncton is in a more central location and is trying to become the maritime hub.

TFC247
06-30-2009, 01:32 PM
unfortuately, yes it is a "sport" and one that is doing, very, very well (don't try to argue this, i had to make a presentation (about what they are doing right) on this 2 years ago, much to my displeasure...and yes they doing better than the NHL, you can't discredit them without discreding hockey)
I don't think anyone's saying NASCAR isn't doing well. But just because something does well doesn't automatically make it a "sports". Poker's drawing a solid rating on sports channels, should we call it a sports too?

On the other hand, if you want to call NASCAR a "sports", then so be it, it's a sports to you. But the point wasn't to debate how NASCAR ranks in popularity, it's just that some people left it out because they obviously thought it wasn't sports to them. I don't think it matters in the end one way or the other.

Pookie
06-30-2009, 02:19 PM
As long as MLSE has a lock on Ontario market, and BMO keeps selling out, I don't think MLSE would be too concerned.

For some reason I can't see TFC fans jumping ship to an Ottawa franchise, not for a next little while.

I don't think they'll jump ship either. But they can demand more and probably will get "more action" on outstanding issues.

For example, Grass

If both Ottawa and Montreal were competing with 20,000+ stadiums and had the advantage of natural grass, they would be likely winning on the bidding for talent and the ability to host events.

Events like the World Cup qualifier that went to Saputo. Events like the FIFA U20 Championship that we hosted but could go to Montreal if given the choice between a natural grass surface in an Eastern Time Zone and an artificial one.

Competition there means lost revenue to MLSE (and the city). That gets business moving

For example, Real Madrid

Imagine a scenario whereby Impact fans got to see the MLS Cup, Chelsea and Barcelona all included in their ticket package? That's what happened in Seattle but of course, that's 3 time zones away.

Put that in our backyard and watch the fireworks.

For example, Designated Player

Imagine if Montreal signed De Guzman while we sat on our allocation money?

For example, Team Operation

Imagine if Montreal and Ottawa both allowed fans to vote on the GM like Seattle? What if they allowed standing throughout the stadium?

I just think that a little competition can be a good thing.

billyfly
06-30-2009, 02:37 PM
^ damn straight.

Having Square One is not enough?

TicTacTabarnack
06-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Downtown would have been better for the team itself, but dumping it out in the middle of nowhere would (somehow) lend credibility to the stupid mistake of putting the Scotiabank Centre out in the middle of nowhere.

Great Post from Bruce Firestone to why it was placed in the "middle of nowhere"
Why Scotiabank Place is Where it Is (http://www.eqjournalblog.com/?p=261)

Cashcleaner
06-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Go Haiti? Cote d'Ivoire? lol
I know, Senegal!

I think the east coast would support a semi-pro team, in USL. It's not like they'd have any other sports to compete with out there.

I'm actually surprised their's no CFL franchise out there. It's not that far of a drive getting around.
I'd think Halifax or Moncton would be the natural fits. Halifax is bigger, but Moncton is in a more central location and is trying to become the maritime hub.

Both representatives from Moncton and Halifax have approached the CFL over the years with plans to start a franchise out on the East Coast. The Halifax Schooners were actually a CFL club back in 1980s but never played a game because they couldn't get a stadium deal worked out.

I'm going to be honest, though. As much as I was a HUGE CFL/Argonaut fan, I think the league won't be able to compete with soccer if the MLS really takes off in Canada. Believe me, it pains me to say it, but I just think Canadian Football will suffer from declining attendance and interest as steam for soccer picks up.

Dirk Diggler
06-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Both representatives from Moncton and Halifax have approached the CFL over the years with plans to start a franchise out on the East Coast. The Halifax Schooners were actually a CFL club back in 1980s but never played a game because they couldn't get a stadium deal worked out.

I'm going to be honest, though. As much as I was a HUGE CFL/Argonaut fan, I think the league won't be able to compete with soccer if the MLS really takes off in Canada. Believe me, it pains me to say it, but I just think Canadian Football will suffer from declining attendance and interest as steam for soccer picks up.

I hope you're right.

rocker
06-30-2009, 04:14 PM
CFL just doesn't have the growth potential of MLS, mainly cuz MLS is starting in a low position. MLS also seems to be more favourable to immigrants than CFL football. I mean I know a lot of first-gen Canadians who are favourable to soccer due to their parents' interest.... I find that less true of CFL football. The CFL game seems to attract people moreso in smaller cities and towns, less multicultural places, and more traditional canadian homes.

Both leagues are seen as sorta second-rate compared to something elsewhere. But the CFL will never reach the heights of the NFL while naturally the Canadian MLS sides are tied to the top American soccer league.. so if the league grows and becomes huge in 20 years, the Canadian teams will be a part of that, not on the outside looking at the American league, as is the case with the CFL and NFL. There's also potential to become a league competitive with the big Euro Leagues in 20-30 years. CFL has nothing in Europe to compete with, since it's a regional, not a world's game.

Redcoe15
06-30-2009, 04:41 PM
I know a lot of people here aren't too crazy about the CFL, and I'm no better than a fair weather fan. But don't underestimate the health of the CFL. There are more Canadians that care about the game than you realize. And they will defend and support the sport like no other. Not to mention the sports media will make sure the CFL will stay at the forefront of the public's mind. Most of the sports media in this country wish ill on soccer.

boban
06-30-2009, 04:51 PM
There was discussion about 18 months ago about that.
But those ideas went to another location elsewhere in the province.