PDA

View Full Version : The Team 1200 on BMO and The Fans

vergilg
04-16-2009, 10:54 AM
So, here in Ottawa we are still debating the whole MLS issue, and Lee Versage from the Team 1200 says it's great to go to TFC games at BMO, it's an event.

What bugged me is how he portrayed some, and sometimes all, of the fans.

he said the fans sing the Dichio song in the "24th" minute, which I've tried to correct him on
he said he's been to games with season ticket holders who couldn't name 4 players from the team
he said the supporters sections (RPB, NEE, etc.) don't even CARE about the score or what's going on the field... they just follow the guy with the megaphone and chant all game, oblivious to what is going on in the game

It irked me a little because the games I've been too I see fans following every little move on the field and react accordingly. And he's making it sound like the supporters are just out there for themselves.

If you want to drop Lee a line feel free at: overtheedge@team1200.com

He'll never learn that Dichio scored in the 21st minute.

Daveisonfire
04-16-2009, 10:55 AM
23:13

arbogast
04-16-2009, 10:56 AM
If you guys get a team get used to it. the un-informed media in TO say the same kinda crap.

T_Mizz
04-16-2009, 10:56 AM
That's what I thought too

vergilg
04-16-2009, 10:59 AM
That's what I thought too

Yeah my bad about the timing of the goal.

Yeah I guess we should get used to the pro-CFL media.

I am sick of arguing with those pro-CFL people, cause I know city of Ottawa will not let us have an MLS team.

Parkdale
04-16-2009, 11:02 AM
he said the supporters sections (RPB, NEE, etc.) don't even CARE about the score or what's going on the field... they just follow the guy with the megaphone and chant all game, oblivious to what is going on in the game

It irked me a little because the games I've been too I see fans following every little move on the field and react accordingly. And he's making it sound like the supporters are just out there for themselves.

when supporters put themselves over the team, then they've lost the plot.
we don't need to tell anyone here that what happens on the field should
directly related to what is happening in the stands. We get that...

and maybe one day sports media will get it too?

olegunnar
04-16-2009, 11:08 AM
I can't find anything wrong with what he said.

-Dichio's goal was in the 24th minute

-I've been to games and observed people in STH scarves that have no clue what is going on. Was a game last OCT in the beer garden and there was a whole table of them standing with backs to the field talking about their halloween costume choices and the status of their laundry, didn't look at the field more than a few times.

- traditionally supporters groups have aimed to put on a "show of support" with TIFOs and songs and chants and fireworks and smoke. Now you could argue that RPB is trying to change all of that, kind of a supporters group LITE, no flag waving during play, lots of booze, no expectations just a kind of do what you like and pay your $20....but in a traditional sense he's right. Supporters groups are there to put on a show of support. They can watch the game later on tape.

Blazer
04-16-2009, 11:12 AM
He’s right on the first two counts and although he paints everyone with the same brush in his last one, he’s probably not too far off for some people who are in fact oblivious and just come to get wasted and scream.

Canadian Blue
04-16-2009, 11:47 AM

To be honest I kind of agree with this........especially in year one we chanted just for the hell of it but it was new we were all excited to finally have a team to call our own. Year two we were still shit and people still chanted non stop for a losing team playing like shit, this got annoying. Year three.....I think we are getting better at chanting when warranted......but there are still times when we chant just for the hell of it.....

BFin
04-16-2009, 11:48 AM
23:13 is the 24th minute.

Section225
04-16-2009, 12:13 PM

-I've been to games and observed people in STH scarves that have no clue what is going on. Was a game last OCT in the beer garden and there was a whole table of them standing with backs to the field talking about their halloween costume choices and the status of their laundry, didn't look at the field more than a few times.

- traditionally supporters groups have aimed to put on a "show of support" with TIFOs and songs and chants and fireworks and smoke. Now you could argue that RPB is trying to change all of that, kind of a supporters group LITE, no flag waving during play, lots of booze, no expectations just a kind of do what you like and pay your $20....but in a traditional sense he's right. Supporters groups are there to put on a show of support. They can watch the game later on tape.

You are spot on!

Jack
04-16-2009, 12:23 PM

Is that what we're trying to do? :rolleyes:

Pinkie
04-16-2009, 03:17 PM

HAHAHAHAHA i love that is a rpb MEMBER that's saying that.

Jack
04-16-2009, 03:21 PM
HAHAHAHAHA i love that is a rpb MEMBER that's saying that.
At least one of us does :(

FluSH
04-16-2009, 03:51 PM

It used to be at 24.... hence DICHIO24

then the great correctness debate happened... and Dichio settled it all.

FluSH
04-16-2009, 03:53 PM
To be honest I kind of agree with this........especially in year one we chanted just for the hell of it but it was new we were all excited to finally have a team to call our own. Year two we were still shit and people still chanted non stop for a losing team playing like shit, this got annoying. Year three.....I think we are getting better at chanting when warranted......but there are still times when we chant just for the hell of it.....

It all depends on what you think we are there for... some to be the 12th man... and if you are the 12th man... you better be chanting and supporting espcially when they are down.

egoodwin
04-16-2009, 04:24 PM
when the team is playing like shit, is it not better to chant to lift them up, rather than sit on your hands or boo

Cashcleaner
04-16-2009, 04:26 PM
^ Exactly! It can be sorta hard to do if you've had the wind taken out of your sails, but you gotta keep the spirits up no matter what the score is.

Brooker
04-16-2009, 05:51 PM
23 minutes and 13 seconds occurs in the 24th minute.

RedRum
04-16-2009, 06:55 PM
just a kind of do what you like and pay your $20....

+1

Instead of doing the eye-rolling/sarcasm thingee you should listen to what he is telling you. He is bang on.

werewolf
04-16-2009, 07:01 PM
This has been around for 11 months (and counting) -

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

How come nothing has been posted there if its really an issue?

Jack
04-16-2009, 07:05 PM
+1

Instead of doing the eye-rolling/sarcasm thingee you should listen to what he is telling you. He is bang on.
I don't agree, hence the eye-rolling/sarcasm thingee.

MUFC_Niagara
04-16-2009, 07:07 PM
The RPB has changed immensely since Season 1. A lot of people have noticed that. BUT, if YOU have an issue with things, there is a thread in the members forum to discuss problems! Instead of constantly bitching in the public forum why don't you do it in the part of the board where these things are dealt with or PM Jack.

J .
04-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Too many super quiet people. Sometimes it is heart breaking.

I dont mind if people aren't watching the game and trying to urge supporters on. We are an important part of the team. Not just the atmosphere. It motivates them and its an important part of luring more talented players here. People standing in 112,113, with their hands in their pockets, no emotion, a bored look on their face.

We need more flags, more jumping and more beer.

What we need is to have a degree of control of the south and move people into 113. Large swaths of that section are just a giant dead zone. Also move out a the quiet people in 112 too.

Waggy
04-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Ugh. Ok
1) Moving anyone is never ever going to happen, unless theres a new stadium. Or MLSE does decide to turn South End tickets over to the groups (which would be awesome, but unlikely). The best thing to do is just keep going as we are and convert people

2) I'm with Flush in the whole 12th man role. We have to react to whats going on on the pitch, but sometimes our job is to REVERSE whats going on there. Give the boys a lift. I understand if you disagree with that (and I don't mean this in any sort of harsh way at all), then I don't really understand why you joined a supporters group. Our job is to support, whether its going good or bad. Ideally it'd be good, but unfortunately it can't always be

3) Now we're getting mad at radio guys in Ottawa?! Really? Come on. As Olegunner said, there isn't much to disagree with anyways. We waste so much energy on useless tits like certain Toronto news writers that could be put to much more productive use. Not all press will be positive, but like the saying goes, all press is good press. Until you hit slander anyways. Either way, my point is we should just focus the energy in some better way than just bitching and moaning about things we have no control over, and focus on what we do have control over: game day. And being that 12th man. Thats why I'm here, and I'd like to think thats why we all are.

RedMAN127
04-16-2009, 09:47 PM
when supporters put themselves over the team, then they've lost the plot.
we don't need to tell anyone here that what happens on the field should
directly related to what is happening in the stands. We get that...

and maybe one day sports media will get it too?

A few people migh still need telling ... Sitting is 127, I am amazed by the number of nee'rs facing the crowd, rather than the action ... and waving flags at the height of action obstructing the view of those interested in the game.

In fact, it was suggested that arbitrary flag waving is more important to supporting the team than actually following the play. :canada:

egoodwin
04-16-2009, 11:03 PM
A few people migh still need telling ... Sitting is 127, I am amazed by the number of nee'rs facing the crowd, rather than the action ... and waving flags at the height of action obstructing the view of those interested in the game.

In fact, it was suggested that arbitrary flag waving is more important to supporting the team than actually following the play. :canada:
if you or your "friends/customers" don't like it, have your seat moved...

if you're not willing to contribute to the atmosphere in a supporter section, you should just move to an area more suitable to you. 127 is a supporter section. Turning around to chant and flying flags are allowed in the section whether you like it or not, regardless of how many boards you go on to bitch about it.

vilerichard
04-16-2009, 11:43 PM
if you or your "friends/customers" don't like it, have your seat moved...

if you're not willing to contribute to the atmosphere in a supporter section, you should just move to an area more suitable to you. 127 is a supporter section. Turning around to chant and flying flags are allowed in the section whether you like it or not, regardless of how many boards you go on to bitch about it.

It's exactly that sort of attitude that makes 127 a little hard to take for some people. I would think that a more conciliatory approach would win over the rest of the section, but that's obviously not going to be the case. This "like it or lump it" line of reasoning doesn't really do much for creating a section where everyone can get on the same page -- especially for folks who have been there since the beginning (before the suits redesignated the section).

Fiin
04-17-2009, 04:58 AM
It's exactly that sort of attitude that makes 127 a little hard to take for some people. I would think that a more conciliatory approach would win over the rest of the section, but that's obviously not going to be the case. This "like it or lump it" line of reasoning doesn't really do much for creating a section where everyone can get on the same page -- especially for folks who have been there since the beginning (before the suits redesignated the section).

It works perfectly fine, have you ever sat there? Its that attitude that keeps us a tight nit group all on the same page, because, well, all the actual scarf carrying (we dont have cards :P) feel the same way about it, so if someone who isnt even a member thinks they are going to change everything cause they dont like it.. they can lump it. Sorry guys, not having a NEE rant here, but I will support my friends when people spew this shit out.

Fiin
04-17-2009, 05:02 AM

Have you ever actually seen a long established supporters section? Capos and chant leaders will go the entire game without seeing it most of the time. The few of us people who face the crowd are doing it to get chants going. Are you the same guy who comes on our board whining about flags 3 days before games days too? And seriously, what the hell do you care if I am seeing the game? Does it really affect you in anyway? Feeling guilty that maybe you should be doing a little more to help the team on?

Yep, supporting the team to us is more important then following play, I have DVR and torrents, I can watch the maybe 5 mins total play I missed later. I am gonna toss an idea out for yah.. instead of comming to whine on a different SGs forum, and probably cause shit when inevitably 1 of us defends ourselves, why not grow a pair and come talk to us in person? You'll get 1000x farther.

BTW, good jobs last week in the RPB corner, looked really good.

TFC Tifoso
04-17-2009, 06:36 AM

I don't think that attitiude is specific to 127, but besides that, by now people should know what is a supporters' section, and what goes on there, and what isn't......we go 100% to support our team every game, and it is frustrating to see that people are unwilling/can't be bothered to participate, especially when they know what to expect in a supporters section......we've actually had a couple of people raise concerns IN PERSON after the first game and it got settled quickly.....I think that approach works better as opposed to whining on a message board.

Mark in Ottawa
04-17-2009, 06:56 AM
So, here in Ottawa we are still debating the whole MLS issue, and Lee Versage from the Team 1200 says it's great to go to TFC games at BMO, it's an event.

What bugged me is how he portrayed some, and sometimes all, of the fans.

he said the fans sing the Dichio song in the "24th" minute, which I've tried to correct him on
he said he's been to games with season ticket holders who couldn't name 4 players from the team

If you want to drop Lee a line feel free at: overtheedge@team1200.com

And Lee Versage knows soccer how? I have never heard much regarding soccer from Team 1200. They are just too hockey and "all things NFL" centric. They would always choose Jim Rhome over anything to do with the Canadian National Soccer teams or the Nutralite Championship.

He has been to games with season ticket holders? Who are they?
Not every STH is going to know much about the team or follow it closely.
Many STH get tickets from corporate plans as a perk and not because they are passionate about the sport.

Ever watch an NHL hockey game on TV?
There are often fans paying little to no attention to the game &/or the sport. Some are there to get loaded and be goofs... same as in all sporting venues.

Ottawa has not seen anything like a supporters group in any of their sports since the South Enders at Landsdowne lost the CFL franchise over 15 years ago. And that one was most certainly alcohol fueled!

Fort York Redcoat
04-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Gross exaggeration on the part of the media to get a response? Never heard of it.

The first 2 points have merit. The last is ridculous as is anyone believing that the supporters don't care what's happening on the field. This just leads us down the "I'm a better fan than you" road based on how you watch a game.

TOBOR !
04-17-2009, 11:57 AM

LOL - you may want to edit that.