PDA

View Full Version : Ives says new CB will now be a summer transfer target

ccopela
04-16-2009, 10:39 AM
TFC pass on Perlaza

Ecuadorian defender Jose Luis Perlaza left Toronto FC after a short trial and will not sign a deal. The central defender has signed with Ecuadorian club Barcelona. TFC fans wondering whether Perlaza was the mystery central defender Toronto FC has long been eying can relax. He is not. TFC sources tell me that the centerback the club was eying all winter is now a summer transfer window option after his club balked at selling him in the midst of a promotion fight (and yes, I'm still working to get the name of this mystery defender.)

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/04/morning-ticker-pacheco-receives-itc-vieri-a-rounder-and-usmnt-starts-supporters-group.html

T_Mizz
04-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Speculators do your job, here's what we know he's probably from a championship club that is close to getting into the premier league. Discuss

DOMIN8R
04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Wow. Lots of info here to fuel speculation.

Present team in a promotion fight
CB
Beirne said "big name for MLS" or something like that - feel free to correct me.
what else?

dupont
04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Oh god! Rumors playing with my heart again.

Yohan
04-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Speculators do your job, here's what we know he's probably from a championship club that is close to getting into the premier league. Discuss
or league 2 team going for league 1? lol

ACSertL
04-16-2009, 10:45 AM

That could be any number of clubs. Right now the clubs involved in the promotion race in the Championship are:

1 Wolves
2 Birmingham
3 Sheffield United
4 Cardiff City
5 Reading
6 Burnley
7 Swansea City
8 Preston North End

Nodoubtguy
04-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Why is everyone assuming England??

or did I miss something?

jabbronies
04-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Glenn Loovens

jabbronies
04-16-2009, 10:47 AM

or did I miss something?

because that's all we know...if you know anything about another league, feel free to speculate!! :canada:

DOMIN8R
04-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Glenn Loovens might be too young

Pachuco
04-16-2009, 10:49 AM

or did I miss something?

haha, that's funny. And true. Shows you the number of biased people on here :)

Hitcho
04-16-2009, 10:49 AM
This makes no sense. If he's important enough to be retained for a promotion push to the Premiership, then why would he want to move to MLS instead of playing against the shining lights of the PL next season? :noidea:

ACSertL
04-16-2009, 10:50 AM

Actually my first inclination was to look at the 2 Bundesliga, sorry to disappoint.

Kickit09
04-16-2009, 10:50 AM
i really wish we could get a quality CB before half the season is over. but i guess better late than never.

Nodoubtguy
04-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Segunda Division teams in Spain fighting for promotion:

Xerez CD
CD Tenerife
Rayo Vallecano
Hercules CF
Real Zaragoza

jabbronies
04-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Glenn Loovens might be too young

but he's a jouneyman...been on 5 teams already - 3 on loan.

Daveisonfire
04-16-2009, 10:54 AM
This makes no sense. If he's important enough to be retained for a promotion push to the Premiership, then why would he want to move to MLS instead of playing against the shining lights of the PL next season? :noidea:

Which makes me wonder if Ives meant relegation...It would certainly make the speculation a bit easier.

Hitcho
04-16-2009, 10:55 AM
^ yeah maybe.

I think for now we:

A) don't have nearly enough to go on to start making educated guesses: and
B) still don't know if this new CB rumour has any substance to it or is just fuelling itself in the gossip columns.

Besides which we really could have done with this guy (if he even exists) the day after Marshall left. Our back line isn't exactly brimming with confidence so far this season, despite the addition of Serioux...

pubboy
04-16-2009, 10:58 AM

Because, he probably wouldnt get a game in the PL as he's not good enough. There is a massive gap between the PL and Championship, and it's getting bigger. Most teams that get promoted often replace a good chunk of the team that got promoted. Championship teams are usually made up of young players who are getting playign experience before stepping up (if they are good enough), older players who cant quite cut the PL any more, and of course players who arent good enough to step up.

Hitcho
04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
^ not sure i agree about replacing a good chunk of the team, but it's definitely possible that if this team gets promoted then the player in question might not be seen as a first teamer in the PL. It's not unusal for teams to keep bit part players until the end of an important seaosn in case they are needed, and the likelihood is that the selling club won't get any significant money for this guy because MLS rarely pays out, so why not keep him until the Summer?

We have a large chunk of our home games between now and the end of May though, so even if we sign this mystery CB we're unlikely to see much of him at BMO Field this season - gah!!

T_Mizz
04-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Which makes me wonder if Ives meant relegation...It would certainly make the speculation a bit easier.
That is exactly what I was thinking because it said they decided not to sell him which is somthing a team fighting a relegation battle thinks about not one in a promotion fight
Also people assume England because that is the most likely of scenarios, really how many players from Spain or Italy or Germany do we have? But players from the Championship/League 1 are plentiful. Brennan, Dichio, Robbo, Ricketts

Pachuco
04-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Here is a big name, currently fighting for promotion in Spain's Real Zaragosa.

Roberto Ayala - He's 36 though. But he's played 43 games this year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Ayala

EDIT: Oops, he played 43 games in 2007. Note sure about 2008 yet

Ossington Mental Youth
04-16-2009, 11:03 AM
two teams id be tempted to look at would be birmingham and wolves as we've gotten players from them in the past

Hitcho
04-16-2009, 11:07 AM
A CB good enough to win promotion from Championship to PL AS A STARTER would be a dream for us. But if we're getting some CHampionship reject who has hardly played and/or is a bit of a retirement package, then I'd rather we looked elsewhere.

Time will tell I guess, and there does seem to be a move for younger players this season by TFC, so hope springs eternal!

ccopela
04-16-2009, 11:12 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Starosta

I don't think he is a CB but (A) he is on the roster of a team fighting for promotion (B) I think Sean Keay posted a rumor of a couple players TFC was looking at a while ago and he was one of them (C) He played for Poland at the U-20 tournament in Canada.

His wiki says he's on loan in Poland but he's still listed on the Sheffield United website with no mention of the loan to Poland.

T.Reis
04-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Gary Naysmith of Sheffield Utd! You heard it here first!

Nuvinho
04-16-2009, 11:16 AM
So what if the player's team gets promoted, and the team then decides they don't want to sell him, or the player himself, wants to stay in the newly promoted league he is in?

Lucky Strike
04-16-2009, 11:18 AM
FWIW, the top 5 clubs chasing promotion to Ligue 1 in France are:

RC Lens
FC Metz
RC Strasbourg
US Boulogne CO
Montpellier HSC

I think we can discount France though; TFC doesn't have any connections there nor do its staff. That last one is an assumption, true, but one I feel pretty confident in making.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Starosta

I don't think he is a CB but (A) he is on the roster of a team fighting for promotion (B) I think Sean Keay posted a rumor of a couple players TFC was looking at a while ago and he was one of them (C) He played for Poland at the U-20 tournament in Canada.

His wiki says he's on loan in Poland but he's still listed on the Sheffield United website with no mention of the loan to Poland.

yeah i think we were supposed to sign him but he fucked off (perhaps it was the other polish lad)

HAHA thought this too

Ossington Mental Youth
04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
So what if the player's team gets promoted, and the team then decides they don't want to sell him, or the player himself, wants to stay in the newly promoted league he is in?

well if the guy has already agreed to a contract with us the team has no rights, hes ours now...

Yohan
04-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Naysmith is CB? I thought it was LB

felipe
04-16-2009, 11:22 AM
wasn't Darren Purse (Cardiff) mentioned before at some point? He could be likely as a)he's club captain, - they wouldn't want to move him in midst of promotion chase, a potential big disruption; and b)the club would likely look to upgrade from him once in the Prem.

He's 32 which would seem to fit our british 'youth policy'. And he would do a hell of a job in the MLS.

He's probaby too expensive for us, but just throwing it out there, idle speculation.

TFC_Toon
04-16-2009, 11:25 AM
David Edgar?

H Bomb
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Raidi Jaidi maybe? Same model as Tebily....I cant imagine him jumping back up to Premiership to be honest...seems to be a little too slow for that game now....I know I'd be happy with him. Blues were also trying to get Matt Mills in the transfer window but failed and that would explain not letting him go

Lucky Strike
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
David Edgar?

Only if Newcastle is chasing promotion next year. :D

T_Mizz
04-16-2009, 11:28 AM
David Edgar?
I think I need a change of pants
http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs39/f/2008/344/c/9/I_jizz_in_my_pants_by_HOLIMOUNT.jpg

JDG
04-16-2009, 11:32 AM

Keep the defamatory statements off of the forum.
There were five posts before the England question was asked, and you jump right in and paint this whole group with one brush.
How is it that 5 people suddenly represent the views and opinions of the Red Patch Boys?

Your statement shows a clear bias, and it's quite ugly - smiley or not.

Strikers
04-16-2009, 11:32 AM

I was thinking it might be Garyn Naysmith as well.

I also have a feeling they are looking at Matthew Kilgallon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Kilgallon

TFC_Toon
04-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Only if Newcastle is chasing promotion next year. :D

Oops, yeah it says promotion not relagation....now why do I have relegation on my mind...

T_Mizz
04-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Still, a man can dream though

Krasno.pL.
04-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Edgars not coming
as of last weekend.

T_Mizz
04-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Edgars not coming
(plugs ears) La la la la la la la la la:D

Canadian Blue
04-16-2009, 11:50 AM
but he's a jouneyman...been on 5 teams already - 3 on loan.

and we all know how journeymen have worked out.......Welsh, Samuel, Ricketts, Robert...:noidea:

Section 117
04-16-2009, 12:01 PM
I heard the CB is going to be from Germany....

Pachuco
04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Keep the defamatory statements off of the forum.
There were five posts before the England question was asked, and you jump right in and paint this whole group with one brush.
How is it that 5 people suddenly represent the views and opinions of the Red Patch Boys?

Your statement shows a clear bias, and it's quite ugly - smiley or not.

WTF? dude, who the hell pissed in your corn flakes? You obviously completely mis-interpreted what I was saying. The smiley face was because I myself am biased towards EPL and the Championship. I believe that's where the best pool of players are myself and that's where Mo and Carver have connections.

Nothing to do with Redpatchboys, it's about the general feeling of people on who post on this board, INCLUDING ME. So please, stop trolling my responses and twisting them into something I didn't even say. What happens now? do you ban yourself for trolling?

nimamalek
04-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I had heard from friends that the guy was from Germany and they thought it was Kevin Mckenna, but he is not in a promotion fight, but a Canadian would make sense. Anyone else hear anything about Mckenna beyond speculation?

Pachuco
04-16-2009, 12:34 PM

You have been right before. So I wouldn't be surprised if you are right again.

Hitcho
04-16-2009, 12:36 PM

wanna tell us who you heard that from? :hump: :p

TorontoBlades
04-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Can I throw a couple of Blades into the mix here, maybe I'm biased but this club is Carver's best contact in the mix, right?

Ugo Ehiogu - failed to really make an impression, played a Rangers as well, so maybe Mo might have a connection there as well

Chris Morgan - I love him, but none of you guys do becaus ehe busted up Iain Hume

Sun Jihai - he was a rock star at Man City, and would be a huge boost to the Chinese sector in Toronto, hasn't done what i had hoped for SUFC

Thoughts?

TorontoBlades
04-16-2009, 12:53 PM
I was thinking it might be Garyn Naysmith as well.

I also have a feeling they are looking at Matthew Kilgallon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Kilgallon

definately not those two...didn't see your comments guys b4 i posted, sorry....if it was indeed Kilgallon, we'd be set like whoa!

Kooper
04-16-2009, 12:56 PM

or did I miss something?

Why are we assuming Championship? The Non League teams In England are still in a fight. Come on Oxford United!

Burton Albion
Cambridge Utd
Torquay
Kidderminster
Stevenage
Histon
Oxford Utd

Nuvinho
04-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Here is the Bundesliga 2 standings and teams....lets assume away:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=ger.2&cc=5901

Mikey
04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
This nicely pushes the DP issue off onto the summer, and then from there it will get knocked to the renewals month.......

brad
04-16-2009, 01:06 PM
This nicely pushes the DP issue off onto the summer, and then from there it will get knocked to the renewals month.......

Who said this player would be a DP?

Lucky Strike
04-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Why are we assuming Championship? The Non League teams In England are still in a fight. Come on Oxford United!

Burton Albion
Cambridge Utd
Torquay
Kidderminster
Stevenage
Histon
Oxford Utd

Wasn't it said earlier it was a player that would be "big in MLS"? If so, it's unlikely to be a player from anywhere lower than League One (to be conservative) if he does come from England.

Disclaimer: I may have lost the sarcasm intended above, but still...

I guess my point is we should be looking almost strictly at the tier 2s of the better leagues in the world. A player from the San Marino second tier won't help us.

Hitcho
04-16-2009, 01:29 PM
I'd love a DP centre back, assuming he was actually worthy of the spot. If we had a kick ass CB on the team, easily the best in the league who was able to lead the line, dominate in the air and bring confidence to our defence then with Frei in goal and Robbo in front of the back four we'd be unlikely to concede many goals, even with our attacking full backs roaming forward. That in turn would give the rest of the side confidence and belief. If the attacking players gel then all of a sudden we'd be the kind of force in the elague we all hoped TFC would be this season.

Two very big IF statements in there though - bah! :(

Section 117
04-16-2009, 01:37 PM
wanna tell us who you heard that from? :hump: :p

I would love to but I can not divulge that info as then he would not give me anymore info

Hitcho
04-16-2009, 01:39 PM
^ ok, just PM me then, I won't tell anyone... :D:D:D

Pachuco
04-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I would love to but I can not divulge that info as then he would not give me anymore info

Do you know the player's nationality? :D

Roogsy
04-16-2009, 01:43 PM
TFC fans wondering whether Perlaza was the mystery central defender Toronto FC has long been eying can relax. He is not.

This is the part that confuses me.

My sources in the team tell me Perlaza was no prize and did not impress. And yet he signs with a top club in Ecuador (who are arguably among the top 10 in South America as well)?

I guess I can understand if he will not be a starter, because if he is a starter in Ecuador, we just passed on a quality player. Most teams in Ecuador can run circles around MLS teams and in particular our little band of inconsistent 'ballers.

Fushida
04-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Can I throw a couple of Blades into the mix here, maybe I'm biased but this club is Carver's best contact in the mix, right?

Ugo Ehiogu - failed to really make an impression, played a Rangers as well, so maybe Mo might have a connection there as well

Chris Morgan - I love him, but none of you guys do becaus ehe busted up Iain Hume

Sun Jihai - he was a rock star at Man City, and would be a huge boost to the Chinese sector in Toronto, hasn't done what i had hoped for SUFC

Thoughts?

If only...... but he's getting up there in age, and I don't think he's decent anymore... though he is versatile. But I'll be bringing out my red Sun jersey should this ever happen :hump:

Whoop
04-16-2009, 01:49 PM
I'll guess Bo Svensson.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-16-2009, 01:51 PM
when is the summer transfer window>?

dantdot
04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
So possibly playing in Bundesliga2, fighting for promotion, that's like 8 teams...bah. Need a nationality.

ACSertL
04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
I'll guess Bo Svensson.

Bo don't know diddly :)

Pachuco
04-16-2009, 02:04 PM

My sources in the team tell me Perlaza was no prize and did not impress. And yet he signs with a top club in Ecuador (who are arguably among the top 10 in South America as well)?

I guess I can understand if he will not be a starter, because if he is a starter in Ecuador, we just passed on a quality player. Most teams in Ecuador can run circles around MLS teams and in particular our little band of inconsistent 'ballers.

Well you can't rule out the lack of ability for Mo and Carver to recognize talent. I'm not saying that's the case, but that's always a possiblity too. Also, it could be that Mo and Carver weren't impressed based on how much he's worth. Maybe Barcelona S.C is willing to pay more being that they know him intimetely (played in the same league).

ACSertL
04-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Well you can't rule out the lack of ability for Mo and Carver to recognize talent. I'm not saying that's the case, but that's always a possiblity too. Also, it could be that Mo and Carver weren't impressed based on how much he's worth. Maybe Barcelona S.C is willing to pay more being that they know him intimetely (played in the same league).

They might also be worried about losing him to Conmebol WCQ games as well, provided he still gets selected to the Ecuador NT.

Roogsy
04-16-2009, 02:12 PM
They might also be worried about losing him to Conmebol WCQ games as well, provided he still gets selected to the Ecuador NT.

Don't think he was a mainstay on la seleccion.

TorontoBlades
04-16-2009, 02:12 PM

shouldn't be confusing - in the MLS it's what benefit a player can give you...relative to his cost

So if a B+ player is aking A+ money - then the benefits dont outweigh the costs ...and that simply doesn't jive in the MLS world

We have to be looking at B+ players asking B+ or lower money

...basically anyone with two feet that is willing to take pay anywhere below their actual market value is welcome in the MLS...as long as that pay is reallllllly low :)

ACSertL
04-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Don't think he was a mainstay on la seleccion.

Cheers for clearing that up. :)

rocker
04-16-2009, 02:17 PM
ya money versus talent is certainly a key issue.
we coulda had Kiki Musampa too if Mo had caved in to his money demands. but at some point you have to just say "no" rather than cave to players who don't upgrade your squad that much more than what you got.
i'm sure if Perlaza was solid and wanted to play for 100K or whatever, he'd have been signed.

Pachuco
04-16-2009, 02:19 PM

I may be wrong, but I thought I read he retired from the national team.

Roogsy
04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
shouldn't be confusing - in the MLS it's what benefit a player can give you...relative to his cost

So if a B+ player is aking A+ money - then the benefits dont outweigh the costs ...and that simply doesn't jive in the MLS world

We have to be looking at B+ players asking B+ or lower money

...basically anyone with two feet that is willing to take pay anywhere below their actual market value is welcome in the MLS...as long as that pay is reallllllly low :)

*sigh*

I suppose. That is really disappointing.

I remember someone throwing around an Ecuadorian striker joining Colorado and I thought it was a great idea and then someone mentioned a $2million price tag and I was completely floored.

Dunno what this guy was asking, but if the price range wasn't right, I don't understand why they would go through the exercise of trialing him.

Roogsy
04-16-2009, 02:21 PM

I don't think I read that anywhere...and at 30, that would be really young wouldn't it?

ACSertL
04-16-2009, 02:22 PM

Nah, you're probably right. And Roogsy has also speculated this as well.

Beach_Red
04-16-2009, 02:26 PM

Come on, his agent flew him to Toronto as a negotiating ploy with the other team. He never had any intention of signing here. I'm surprised he even left his hotel room.

Whoop
04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Or maybe he just wasn't good enough for the national team anymore?

Hitcho
04-16-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't think I read that anywhere...and at 30, that would be really young wouldn't it?

30 is definitely young for a CB to be retiring from international football.

although it matters not now that he's gone i suppose!

Lucky Strike
04-16-2009, 02:33 PM
we coulda had Kiki Musampa too if Mo had caved in to his money demands. but at some point you have to just say "no" rather than cave to players who don't upgrade your squad that much more than what you got.
i'm sure if Perlaza was solid and wanted to play for 100K or whatever, he'd have been signed.

A bit off point, but at last news, Musampa was somewhere in League Two at Wycombe I believe.

Someone earlier in this thread or maybe another commented at how frustrating it was that other teams seem to be able to find players at the drop of a hat. I felt that was too until I realized it's all about perception. We hear about every single trial and potential rumour for new players about TFC. However, when it comes to other teams, all we see reported in the news and forums is that Team X signed Player Y so-and-so. I'm sure if we dug deep enough, we'd realize other teams have issues bringing people in too.

oxygenatedbrain
04-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Actually, Musampa signed for Willem II last month...hadn't played since Seoul.

Beach_Red
04-16-2009, 02:43 PM
we coulda had Kiki Musampa too if Mo had caved in to his money demands. but at some point you have to just say "no"...

That depends if you don't mind your team being a slut who says yes to everyone...

And, as we always say, the salary cap compliacted everything.

Bobo
04-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I think we need to look a bit lower than we clearly want to. My money is on this defender, if even playing in a major footie nation, being on a third division team as I don't see anyone wanting to play for Toronto FC instead of fighting for the jump to a top league.

Pachuco
04-16-2009, 02:54 PM

Some guys like to retire when they aren't good enough anymore :). I'm looking for the link, I remember reading it in spanish.

Roogsy
04-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Come on, his agent flew him to Toronto as a negotiating ploy with the other team. He never had any intention of signing here. I'm surprised he even left his hotel room.

LOL!

Not completely unlikely is it?

Oh the games...the mind games!

TOBOR !
04-16-2009, 03:15 PM

Easy.

Promoted teams have to gear up for life in the Prem and will cast off marginal players to make space for your local Guns-for-Hire. You know who I mean - the one's who get signed from just-relegated to newly-promoted clubs in the offseason, while these poor buggers move the opposite way.

Hitcho
04-16-2009, 03:29 PM
^ TOBOR, I agree and that make sense, but if he's important enough not to let go during the run in, then it's possible he'd be kept on in the promoted side. on the other hand, he may be a sub or ear marked to be replaced on promotion, and just kept around until the end of the season as an emergency fill in, in which case you;d be right.

I was really hoping we'd get Hyypia, a model pro who would never turn up in MLS just fro the pay cheque, would organise the shit out of our defence and win every single defensive header he went for, likely scoring a few goals from set pieces along the way. always a hopeless pipe dream, but this "promotion" news seems to quash it completely... :(

brad
04-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Easy.

Promoted teams have to gear up for life in the Prem and will cast off marginal players to make space for your local Guns-for-Hire. You know who I mean - the one's who get signed from just-relegated to newly-promoted clubs in the offseason, while these poor buggers move the opposite way.

Older players with top level experience often flourish at a level below as well once they've lost pace to play at the top level. Could be someone like that.

brad
04-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Another reason I think it will be an older player as I mentioned in my last post as opposed to a younger one being cast off - if you are club fighting for promotion, you don't exactly motivate your players by saying "go out there and fight for promotion son, so we can discard you and you can ship of to the MLS"

Someone who has already called time on a top flight career makes more sense. (assuming we are talking about promotion to the top flight, and not Div 3 to Div 2)

pekduck
04-16-2009, 05:00 PM
If only...... but he's getting up there in age, and I don't think he's decent anymore... though he is versatile. But I'll be bringing out my red Sun jersey should this ever happen :hump:
+1:hump:

poppamidnight
04-16-2009, 05:11 PM
when is the summer transfer window>?

I think it opens June 15th....

So another 12 matches (9 league ones + 3 Canadian Championship)

:drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking:

Holy crap :mad5:
there's no possible way I can wait that long -
watching harmse will make me go :hulk: :banghead: :out:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I think im gunna have to take a 2 month Hiatus - go on an acid trip or something
:stogey:

Nuvinho
04-16-2009, 05:42 PM
^ We would of played over 40% of the MLS season before we get anybody.

Shakes McQueen
04-16-2009, 06:46 PM
^ We would of played over 40% of the MLS season before we get anybody.

While that's a disappointment, I'm totally fine with waiting, as long as it's someone worth waiting for...

Sooner get quality in the summer, than some bit player now. But if we end up with nothing in the summer, if Mo hypes this like he did Dickov, I will be pissed.

- Scott

mlsintoronto
04-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Wow. Lots of info here to fuel speculation.

Present team in a promotion fight
CB
Beirne said "big name for MLS" or something like that - feel free to correct me.
what else?

I did?

Brooker
04-16-2009, 07:15 PM
and we all know how journeymen have worked out.......Welsh, Samuel, Ricketts, Robert...:noidea:

Dichio, Robinson, Guevara, ........

:D:D

jloome
04-16-2009, 08:08 PM
I did?

I think he was referring to your fishing trip last year to Nickickousemenecaning, Ont.

anto7
04-16-2009, 08:56 PM
So Section 117 says he is from Germany. Now, as previously suggested, perhaps Ives got it wrong and he meant relegation battle. Borrusia M'gladbach(Stalteri) are 2nd bottom and FC Koln(McKenna) are only 9 points above safety.
McKenna does not appear to be playing much but they may want to have him as cover.
All pure speculation obviously. Stalteri does fit the big name theory even though he is really a right back.

Waggy
04-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Not to be pessimistic, but if the window OPENS june 15th, what are the odds we sign someone that day? Besides, we're looking for a needle in a haystack, without more info, the list is our imagination. And while fun to dream about, thats just going to set us all up for disappointment. And that disappointment is what Mo is trying to avoid, which is why he's being more selective about larger transfers. A DP (or any large signing) who flops does a LOT more damage than no DP at all in this market. So lets keep the faith, remember we're a mediocre to good team fighting for the playoffs, and whatever happens in the transfer window is gravy

MartinUtd
04-16-2009, 09:26 PM
I bet its a Blue Square player

H Bomb
04-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Raidi Jaidi maybe? Same model as Tebily....I cant imagine him jumping back up to Premiership to be honest...seems to be a little too slow for that game now....I know I'd be happy with him. Blues were also trying to get Matt Mills in the transfer window but failed and that would explain not letting him go

Also McLeish and Mojo played in two world cups together and have had contact due to the Tebily thing....So i've decided with my completely limited resources it's Jaidi....If I'm right y'all owe me a beer....each

TFCREDNWHITE
04-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Man If its Stalteri or Mckenna or any other shit player that we are "waiting" for 40% of season to be completed then i say WHAT A FARCE!! honestly pure bullshit!

Now its wait till the summer transfer window, it always seems like its something...wait for this, wait for that, one day in the future this will happpen, and some really great things are going to happen in the distant future!

and...GET THIS!? if you are really really really good and wait a long long time, we promise something MONUMENTAL, out of this world will happen!!

Fuck, its the same fucking story since day fucking one with this bullshit....

H Bomb
04-16-2009, 10:02 PM
take it to the complaint thread

Ossington Mental Youth
04-16-2009, 10:09 PM
So Section 117 says he is from Germany. Now, as previously suggested, perhaps Ives got it wrong and he meant relegation battle. Borrusia M'gladbach(Stalteri) are 2nd bottom and FC Koln(McKenna) are only 9 points above safety.
McKenna does not appear to be playing much but they may want to have him as cover.
All pure speculation obviously. Stalteri does fit the big name theory even though he is really a right back.

Yeah i was thinking this too.
Contrary to what TFCREDNWHITE says theyd both be solid additions but i dont see Stalteri coming even tho this is his hometown, i seem to remember him whining about the turf. McKenna would be great and versatile as all fuck.

mastermixer
04-16-2009, 10:22 PM
guys... we can't expect too much. We're not playing in the EPL.

DOMIN8R
04-16-2009, 10:50 PM
I did?

I guess I stand corrected. Again. Posting on this board just became like talking with my wife and kids.

Pachuco
04-16-2009, 11:06 PM

This shit is going to get annoying pretty quick. So unless you have something positive to say, we can only post in a single thread. Fuck that!

He's commenting specifically about the subject being discussed in the thread. nothing wrong with that.

wzhxvy
04-16-2009, 11:09 PM
I have something positive to say, its great that the FO continues to generate hope to pacify the fans. I find them to be very creative in the number of permutations of different ways they can try but fail to sign a player. I am sure they are working on cloning Mo's DNA as we speak so we have 11 stand up shooters like Mo. A quality, classy guy.

H Bomb
04-16-2009, 11:17 PM
This shit is going to get annoying pretty quick. So unless you have something positive to say, we can only post in a single thread. Fuck that!

jloome
04-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Also McLeish and Mojo played in two world cups together and have had contact due to the Tebily thing....So i've decided with my completely limited resources it's Jaidi....If I'm right y'all owe me a beer....each

More likely he'd take a rich payout in Saudi or the Emirates. Be huge if we got him.

Pachuco
04-17-2009, 11:05 AM

Your complaint about my complaint should go to the complaint thread :rolleyes:

H Bomb
04-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Consider it complained about! :D

bee dubya
04-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I would expect that if this is truly signed, sealed and delivered, TFC will announce the deal as soon as the European season is over and the player is available. We might not see the player on the pitch until June 15 but I'm sure we'll know about it much sooner than that.

Oldtimer
04-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I would expect that if this is truly signed, sealed and delivered, TFC will announce the deal as soon as the European season is over and the player is available. We might not see the player on the pitch until June 15 but I'm sure we'll know about it much sooner than that.

I doubt it (unless there's leaks).

MLS clubs are not allowed to announce players until they have had all of the paperwork processed by the league FO. It's part of the single-entity thing.

maninb
04-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Stalteri makes NO SENSE...He's never really played CB, and is quite short, and slow....So signing him wouldn't really fill any of the current holes..

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
I guess I stand corrected. Again. Posting on this board just became like talking with my wife and kids.

...who are very nice people (you forgot to add). ;)

I think the person who said it was a big name for MLS was Ives. But my brain is scrambled...

RedsYNWA
04-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Franck Queudrue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franck_Queudrue) could it be??????????

RedsYNWA
04-17-2009, 01:17 PM
^ TOBOR, I agree and that make sense, but if he's important enough not to let go during the run in, then it's possible he'd be kept on in the promoted side. on the other hand, he may be a sub or ear marked to be replaced on promotion, and just kept around until the end of the season as an emergency fill in, in which case you;d be right.

I was really hoping we'd get Hyypia, a model pro who would never turn up in MLS just fro the pay cheque, would organise the shit out of our defence and win every single defensive header he went for, likely scoring a few goals from set pieces along the way. always a hopeless pipe dream, but this "promotion" news seems to quash it completely... :(

Hyppia would be awesome, but alas it will never be:(

dantdot
04-17-2009, 01:18 PM
...who are very nice people (you forgot to add). ;)

I think the person who said it was a big name for MLS was Ives. But my brain is scrambled...

Yeah, it was Ives, but he doesn't know who he is or where he's from. You figure that out.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah, it was Ives, but he doesn't know who he is or where he's from. You figure that out.

Okay, so it's not just me ... :skep:

Nuvinho
04-17-2009, 01:33 PM
So from the clues:

- He is from Germany, that could mean he is playing in Germany, or is a German playing in another league (probably England)

-He is somewhat 'Big' for MLS.

any others?

ACSertL
04-17-2009, 01:40 PM
So from the clues:

- He is from Germany, that could mean he is playing in Germany, or is a German playing in another league (probably England)

any others?

The only German defender I can think of playing in England, off the top of my head that is, would be Middlesbrough's Robert Huth.

dantdot
04-17-2009, 01:41 PM
So from the clues:

any others?

Playing for a team fighting for promotion, but some think Ives could have meant relegation.

RedsYNWA
04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Moussa Ouattara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moussa_Ouattara)
Łukasz Szukała (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%81ukasz_Szuka%C5%82a)

How about these 2 from the German league

ACSertL
04-17-2009, 01:47 PM
The only German defender I can think of playing in England, off the top of my head that is, would be Middlesbrough's Robert Huth.

Playing for a team fighting for promotion, but some think Ives could have meant relegation.

Just quoting myself from the previous page on the slim chance I hit this one out of the park :lol:

Section 117
04-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Hey Guys

So my source informed me that the player I was refering to earlier in this thread is not coming he changed his mind...

No reason was given....

RedsYNWA
04-17-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm sorry there is no such thing as a big for MLS defender in the German 2nd division

Nuvinho
04-17-2009, 01:50 PM
I think Huth is a good guess. He would be big for MLS standards since he did play for Chelsea too.

Nuvinho
04-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Hey Guys

So my source informed me that the player I was refering to earlier in this thread is not coming he changed his mind...

No reason was given....

hahahahahaha!!!!!

RedsYNWA
04-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Hey Guys

No reason was given....

:rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolle yes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5:

Sure there Johnny

RedsYNWA
04-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I still say Franck Queudrue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franck_Queudrue)

dantdot
04-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey Guys

No reason was given....

:hulk:I hope that isn't the main "big" CB expected to sign...

H Bomb
I dunno about Queudrue...he was just named Blues player of the season and is really a wide back and not a CB

H Bomb
also I imagine Ives knows the difference between promotion and relegation....

ACSertL
04-17-2009, 01:59 PM
I think Huth is a good guess. He would be big for MLS standards since he did play for Chelsea too.

I think he'd do very well here, I am just not sure about his contract status at Boro right now.

backbeat
04-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Peter Clarke - Southend United???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/southend_utd/8004148.stm

Section 117
04-17-2009, 03:38 PM
:rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolle yes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5:

Sure there Johnny

Reds

I am not sure why the sarcasm...

As I have only posted information on things that I know are going to happen. As an example I posted Serioux was coming even though Ives said he wasn't. I am not one of those people that just post things that are highly unrealistic..

Nuvinho
04-17-2009, 03:50 PM
So:

1. Rapids sign defender Julien Baudet from Crewe

2. DCU inquiring about Avery John

backbeat
04-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Peter Clarke - Southend United???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/southend_utd/8004148.stm

Interesting comments on the Southend United Forum

Re: Peter Clarke (http://www.theshrimpers-online.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4637#p30230)

http://www.theshrimpers-online.co.uk/forum/styles/prosilver/imageset/icon_post_target.gif (http://www.theshrimpers-online.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=30230#p30230)by SUFC1STLAST&ONLY (http://www.theshrimpers-online.co.uk/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=921) » 10 Apr 2009, 05:32
It's the wages thingy that is likely stumbling block on a contract extension.

Sooner or later RM knows that the wage structure will have to be broken,
if his stated ambition of acheiving Championship status, is to be achieved.

There must be a limit to goodwill and loyalty when the rewards are limited.

Whilst still in the midst of a possible play off battle, contracts talks would
be unsettling, so as soon as we are out of the running I would hope that
RM will immediately call Peter Clarke in to start the talking processes.

Personally, I will be holding fire on buying a season card until there is
a definite knowledge of who will be remianing at the club next season.

IMO Clarke is not an "average" Centre Half, as stated by Wildheart,
and IMO Clarke brings much more to the team than mere footballing skills.

He has a very big heart, Wildheart and that determined level of
commitment to the club, game in, game out, is something which money
alone cannot always buy - IMO.

http://www.theshrimpers-online.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4637

anto7
04-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Whilst we are on this wild goose chase here is another name to add to the list, Michael Duberry of Reading. He is a veteran CB formerly of Chelsea. Reading are in a battle for promotion. At 33 he may not be up to a return to the Premier League.

DOMIN8R
04-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Reds

I am not sure why the sarcasm...

As I have only posted information on things that I know are going to happen. As an example I posted Serioux was coming even though Ives said he wasn't. I am not one of those people that just post things that are highly unrealistic..

You know this place by now. A few sceptics make up the vocal minority. Do as most do. Dismiss it.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Bit disappointed to hear what Section 117 is saying (dudes been right on enough occasions). Godwilling the boys will pull through without.

rocker
04-18-2009, 01:35 PM
when the heck is Nana gonna be back? I know we're always looking overseas for help, but I liked what I saw from Nana last year. maybe he's not a #1 option, but he seemed ready to get a shot at the big time.
hopefully Winsper can get him into shape soon.... Nana's better than Harmse.

Pachuco
04-18-2009, 07:42 PM
when the heck is Nana gonna be back? I know we're always looking overseas for help, but I liked what I saw from Nana last year. maybe he's not a #1 option, but he seemed ready to get a shot at the big time.
hopefully Winsper can get him into shape soon.... Nana's better than Harmse.

Yeah I gotta agree with that.

Dirk Diggler
04-18-2009, 09:20 PM
also I imagine Ives knows the difference between promotion and relegation....

LOL I was thinking the same thing. People just want to hear what they want to be true.