PDA

View Full Version : Saputo wants government money

werewolf
04-15-2009, 10:48 PM
[/URL]
MONTREAL — The Montreal Impact is seeking $25 million in government funding to expand its stadium and strengthen its bid for a Major League Soccer franchise.

Joey Saputo, president of the United Soccer Leagues club, said the decision was inspired by government funding of stadiums to be used by the two teams recently granted franchises by MLS for 2011 - Vancouver and Portland, Ore.

"It's something we never looked at and it's something we'll have to, or else we're going to see the train pass again and that's something we can't let happen," Saputo said Wednesday at a team banquet.

"We worked hard to develop the sport of soccer in Quebec and we have to start being more aggressive because infrastructure money is available and we can't be shy to take a look at potentially getting some of that money so we can bring the next level of soccer here, which would be the MLS."

[url="http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090415.wsptsaputo15/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home"]Read More (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jlb3CfAchI_mJZeufCwLghNg6_bQ)

kodiakTFC
04-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Not a bad idea

Cashcleaner
04-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Tell him to go fuck himself. There's a recession going on if the guy wasn't aware. Fucking unbelievable. People are losing their jobs and their savings are drying up, and somehow this guy is thinking that right now is the best time for the government to hand over 25 million dollars so he can put more seats in at his own stadium.

ExiledRed
04-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Tell him to go fuck himself. There's a recession going on if the guy wasn't aware. Fucking unbelievable. People are losing their jobs and their savings are drying up, and somehow this guy is thinking that right now is the best time for the government to hand over 25 million dollars so he can put more seats in at his own stadium.

If it brings increased prosperity to Montreal why the fuck not?

Should the money be going toward the CEO of CIBC's bonus?

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2009, 11:46 PM
and id like some of that innernets money
why wouldnt the government just give it to the national team if they were concerned with the state of canadian soccer (outside of trying to cater to seperatists). Ill be amazed if either happens and frankly i think its a bit ridiculous for him to ask

ExiledRed
04-16-2009, 12:01 AM
and id like some of that innernets money
why wouldnt the government just give it to the national team if they were concerned with the state of canadian soccer ?

Because funding the CSA, is like giving my 5 year old son $500 a week to keep my car on the road.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Because funding the CSA, is like giving my 5 year old son $500 a week to keep my car on the road.

yep i dont disagree with that but the argument of supporting national soccer still stands, regardless of how shit the organization is, its still our national organization, where as Montreal will be a local thing benefiting the national team barely.

I hate montreal with a passion, as much as i hate columbus but i would still love to see them in the MLS as itd be an amazing derby for sure. That being said i dont think gov money should go to it.

ExiledRed
04-16-2009, 12:30 AM
I disagree

More well run professional local clubs in Canada, with academies and canadian players will benefit the national team much more than stuffing wads of cash down the toilet.

Dirk Diggler
04-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Fair is fair ... if we benefited from government funding, why can't Montreal? And the current economic climate should have very little bearing on this decision. There are sporting infrastructures being funded all throughout the country as we speak (even in Montreal with the Molson Stadium expansion).

Ossington Mental Youth
04-16-2009, 01:12 AM
thats pretty reasonable argument, as vancouvers youth teams have an overwhelming presence on the u-20s if im not mistaken and it does make sense that a good majority of players in the academy will play for the nat's if called up but i still dont think youll be able to convince alot of people to donate a sizeable chunk of their taxes to soccer in this climate let alone a team in the mls in quebec.

Also im a little hesitant in believing that Saputo really has Canadian soccer's best interest in mind.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Fair is fair ... if we benefited from government funding, why can't Montreal? And the current economic climate should have very little bearing on this decision. There are sporting infrastructures being funded all throughout the country as we speak (even in Montreal with the Molson Stadium expansion).

i might be wrong but wasnt it ontario that helped fund, if thats the case, they should go to quebec provincial, if not then youre right, fair is fair

werewolf
04-16-2009, 01:22 AM
Federal, Provincial and Municipal money all went towards the National Soccer Stadium.

Dirk Diggler
04-16-2009, 01:23 AM
i might be wrong but wasnt it ontario that helped fund, if thats the case, they should go to quebec provincial, if not then youre right, fair is fair

I think the majority of the funding was secured through the federal government ... the remaining was contributed by the province and the city.

nfitz
04-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Seems fair enough. Ottawa is seeking government money. Toronto FC got a mostly government-funded stadium. And the Whitecaps will be playing in a government-funded stadium (both original construction and renovations).

werewolf
04-16-2009, 01:26 AM
BMO Field and BC Place are also both involved in some of the biggest sporting events to ever be hosted here.

Dirk Diggler
04-16-2009, 01:41 AM
BMO Field and BC Place are also both involved in some of the biggest sporting events to ever be hosted here.

Some would argue that funding a roof that goes on afterwards the Olympics should not count as funding the events themselves but that is irrelevant as I believe that it was the right choice.

drewski
04-16-2009, 07:15 AM
if he gets it, and I'm not against i because it woudl provide not only short term construction employment but also in theory an economic benefit to the city of Montreal assuming they get an MLS team, it should come out of the infrastructure stimulus fund with the attached requirements, like matching funds from the city and province.

and also, BMO Field got $27mil from the federal government, though it is (city) government owned, whereas Saputo Stadium has so far been built with zero public funds I believe

EDIT: interesting side note, a year ago, Saputo was willing to shell otu $12mil fo the $24mil expected cost for expanision

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27032008/1/liverpool-co-owner-launches-mls-bid.html

Impact president Joey Saputo has confirmed he is holding discussions with Gillett with a view to a deal which would see the pair split the $30million (£15m) franchise as well as sharing the cost of a $12m (£6m) expansion of the Saputo Stadium.

JonO
04-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Seems fair enough. Ottawa is seeking government money. Toronto FC got a mostly government-funded stadium. And the Whitecaps will be playing in a government-funded stadium (both original construction and renovations).
Yeah but these stadiums (at least BMO) are owned but the gov't. Saputo Stadium is owned by Saputo. Is he looking to sell his interest in the Stadium or does he just want a handout?

drewski
04-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Yeah but these stadiums (at least BMO) are owned but the gov't. Saputo Stadium is owned by Saputo. Is he looking to sell his interest in the Stadium or does he just want a handout?

but neither are owned by the fed government who is providing the money

DRock
04-16-2009, 08:47 AM
But that $25 million would be going into stadium design, construction and logistics, all of which would create jobs and opportunities. It's the same as a capitol project except that it's a stadium instead of a bridge or whatever. Recession wise it makes no difference if the money goes to saputo for a new stadium or for a new capitol project in montreal. It's not like he's going to pocket the money.

trane
04-16-2009, 09:03 AM
I disagree

More well run professional local clubs in Canada, with academies and canadian players will benefit the national team much more than stuffing wads of cash down the toilet.

Agreed.

rocker
04-16-2009, 09:22 AM
i'm surprised Saputo didn't explore this avenue before, considering his team is closely partnered with the gov already.

BFin
04-16-2009, 09:25 AM

Yes. Absolutely.
Do it yourself.
I am sure he can afford it.

James17930
04-16-2009, 10:05 AM

Exactly. He should have thought of this before the U-20 WC

Beach_Red
04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Exactly. He should have thought of this before the U-20 WC

It seems like everyone has been taken by surprise by the interest in soccer in Canada. BMO was built on the cheap and MLSE invested very little in a team because it looked like a huge risk. What does it look like now?

Even a year ago would anyone have imagined 50,000 at Olympic stadium in Montreal for a CONCACAF Champions League game?

So, he didn't think of it back then, now he's looking at moving forward. It's really not a huge investment for the government and it will be worth it.

I still say that within ten years Canada could have a pro soccer league with as good attendance and as good TV ratings as the CFL gets. This would be just another step down that road.

Pachuco
04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
No one will convince me that he didn't think of this before. The moron tried to low ball MLS and he got screwed. Now he's on his hands and knees saying he'll collaborate if the government does. Honestly, this man made a big mistake and he's realized it.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-16-2009, 11:07 AM
No one will convince me that he didn't think of this before. The moron tried to low ball MLS and he got screwed. Now he's on his hands and knees saying he'll collaborate if the government does. Honestly, this man made a big mistake and he's realized it.

yep i agree 100%

Cashcleaner
04-16-2009, 11:14 AM
If it brings increased prosperity to Montreal why the fuck not?

Should the money be going toward the CEO of CIBC's bonus?

Because there are better ways to spend $25 million of taxpayer's money. That's why.

Beach_Red
04-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Because there are better ways to spend $25 million of taxpayer's money.

But what if a lot of taxpayers want a little bit of their money spent like this?

I realize you can't have a referendum on every single issue (especially when it comes to a couple of bucks per taxpayer), but you can't ignore the people who would support this.

Soccer has been underfunded in Canada for a long time. A lot of people feel this way.

TFC Tifoso
04-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Shouldn't the title read "Saputo wants government cheese"? :D

Cashcleaner
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
But what if a lot of taxpayers want a little bit of their money spent like this?

I realize you can't have a referendum on every single issue (especially when it comes to a couple of bucks per taxpayer), but you can't ignore the people who would support this.

Soccer has been underfunded in Canada for a long time. A lot of people feel this way.

Well, then I suggest the Ultras in Montreal and their friends get their asses in gear and contact their MPs and MLAs.

cougars732
04-16-2009, 12:11 PM
this is so stupid.
the man wants government help to get the impact in.
but he's willing to dish out 500 million to buy the montreal canadians.
at least the man has a good sense of investment

Pachuco
04-16-2009, 09:01 PM
this is so stupid.
the man wants government help to get the impact in.
but he's willing to dish out 500 million to buy the montreal canadians.
at least the man has a good sense of investment

Yeap, so he is basically saying, well Mr. Government, if you helped Toronto, then you must help me.

So it's like me saying

Well Mr. Government, since you gave welfare money out this year to some people, how about you give me some too? Oh in the meantime, I'm finally going to get an Audi R8 which has been on my list of things I've wanted for a while.

Dirk Diggler
04-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Yeap, so he is basically saying, well Mr. Government, if you helped Toronto, then you must help me.

So it's like me saying

Well Mr. Government, since you gave welfare money out this year to some people, how about you give me some too? Oh in the meantime, I'm finally going to get an Audi R8 which has been on my list of things I've wanted for a while.

Not the same thing at all. You think the government did not know that if they wanted to, MLSE could have funded the entire stadium themselves? It isn't the same as giving out welfare. This is about making sound investments ... even if it does benefit some private parties in the short run.

nfitz
04-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Yeah but these stadiums (at least BMO) are owned but the gov't. Saputo Stadium is owned by Saputo. Is he looking to sell his interest in the Stadium or does he just want a handout?I can't imagine they own the stadium in it's entirety - I just don't believe the OIB would hand over part of the Olympic facility to a private landowner.

ExiledRed
04-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Because there are better ways to spend $25 million of taxpayer's money. That's why.

If you don't similarly object to the government funding of BMO you are a hypocrite, cash. what is it?

Mark in Ottawa
04-17-2009, 06:15 AM

And this morning the announcement is that he is interested in joining a group involved in the purchase of the Montreal Canadiens.

Just a businessman doing business. If he doesn't ask he will never get any extra dough to use in his various projects.

MartinUtd
04-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Can we start calling them the Montreal bailouts?

(even though we got same money)

MartinUtd
04-17-2009, 11:42 AM
If you don't similarly object to the government funding of BMO you are a hypocrite, cash. what is it?

haha.. so much for my little joke. I should have figured this would have been covered by the 37th post.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-18-2009, 09:42 AM
No government handouts to this assclown Saputo...there are too many people losing jobs , homes, etc to send money to Saputo....to Joey Saputo take you team and stuff it up you rear end MLS does not need you!!

Dale_Rojo
04-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Federal, Provincial and Municipal money all went towards the National Soccer Stadium.

;) :canada:

.......TBH that 25 mil shud be going towards making BMO a real NSS

Dale_Rojo
04-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Well, then I suggest the Ultras in Montreal and their friends get their asses in gear and contact their MPs and MLAs.

FUCK montreal , they can draw 55k for the chokepackt but they cant fill that Piece of shit stadium for Our footy team. CUT them off already send these fuckers back to france. Why does anyone on here support this or them after what took place at the canada game there is BEYOND ME.:mad:

rant-over.

Redcoe15
04-18-2009, 10:52 AM
No government handouts to this assclown Saputo...there are too many people losing jobs , homes, etc to send money to Saputo....to Joey Saputo take you team and stuff it up you rear end MLS does not need you!!
:Yawn: :sleep::deadhorse:

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-18-2009, 11:37 AM

exactly thats why Garber should let his team sit on the sidelines for a while, 5-10 years at least...there are other importnat markets MLS need
to focus on, a second NY team, getting back to wither Tampa or Miami,
San Diego, Minnestoa just to name a few...before even considering
the Impact....

Redcoe15
04-18-2009, 11:54 AM
exactly thats why Garber should let his team sit on the sidelines for a while, 5-10 years at least...there are other importnat markets MLS need
to focus on, a second NY team, getting back to wither Tampa or Miami,
San Diego, Minnestoa just to name a few...before even considering
the Impact....
:smilielol5: Those cities you mention aren't anywheres close to putting up a serious bid for an MLS team. Barcelona withdrew its bid for a team in Miami because of how underwhelming the market is.

As Craig Forrest just mentioned on Soccercentral, no matter how big MLS gets, they can't and won't ignore Montreal. Try not to cry too much when they do get in. :smilewinkgrin:

Cashcleaner
04-19-2009, 12:08 AM

Methinks you need to take a look at my previous posts on the topic of government subsidies for sporting venues. If you do, you will note my objections toward the use of public money for BMO Field as well. Previous posts such as...

...So you see, my position is actually very conservative. In the case of BMO Field, I believe that the government shouldn't really have anything to do with the business of building a stadium. Sport is a business afterall, so leave it up to the private sector. Because BMO Field WAS mostly built with taxpayer's money - it's only fair that the public gets some use of it.

I agree, some things are best kept seperate. I say we let the government build roads, hospitals, and schools; and the multi-million dollar sports organisations build the stadia for their own use.

. Mike's Majors and Brampton battalion all playing at their own venues in relatively close proximity to each other. Why do we allow municipalities or other levels of government chip in for the cost of these mulitple venues? People have to realise that these buildings don't simply grow on trees, and the cost of a new publically-funded arena or stadium can easily pay for a new school or hospital ward. I'm not saying that it's not always a good investment on the behalf of the government, but it certainly doesn't seem like people are taking into account the real costs involved.

I certainly hope an apology for the implication of hypocrisy is on the horizon here.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-19-2009, 01:04 AM
Expanding the stadium- which I think Saputo also said would include building a roof over the whole thing- would provide jobs, something people are losing on a regular basis. Of course, it'd be ideal if he could fund the thing with his own money, but I don't see this as such a bad thing.

Also, after reading up, I am once again reminded of how nice the ignore feature is when mightytorontofc2008 is still posting here.

Dunkers
04-19-2009, 02:22 AM
i think the real mistake here is by don garber. He will regret not letting the impact into the mls. He has been very clear that expansion teams need to have a 20,000 seat soccer specific stadium. Now looking at expansion after Toronto, San Jose...seriouly it looks like a pile of shit, with some grass in the center, seattle, not soccer specific, phillly, shaky with respect to funding, Vancouver, not soccer specific, and Portland.

Good on Saputo for low balling the MLS, they are only in it for the 40 mil, they dont really care where you play, as long as you pay, and after a few seasons and a team (kc, the KKKrew, NE) moves from there respiective home, don garber will go knocking on montreals door, and guess what, it will be a low low pice tag, Saputo will be in the MLS and for less then any other team before him, hate the team, respect the business man

rocker
04-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Good on Saputo for low balling the MLS, they are only in it for the 40 mil, they dont really care where you play, as long as you pay, and after a few seasons and a team (kc, the KKKrew, NE) moves from there respiective home, don garber will go knocking on montreals door, and guess what, it will be a low low pice tag, Saputo will be in the MLS and for less then any other team before him, hate the team, respect the business man

KC and NE aren't going anywhere.

KC has a new stadium on the way and NE's owner owns the stadium they play in. The Crew, maybe? But no team in MLS has ever been moved. Contracted, yes, but never moved.

Garber is also very strong willed. He doesn't give in, since he has all the power here. He'll get from Saputo the same fee Vancouver and Portland paid, or more. He has never taken less in expansion fees than the previous expansion round.

Beach_Red
04-19-2009, 11:18 AM
As Craig Forrest just mentioned on Soccercentral, no matter how big MLS gets, they can't and won't ignore Montreal.

Why not? The NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball all ignore Montreal.

Dunkers
04-19-2009, 11:38 AM
KC and NE aren't going anywhere.

But no team in MLS has ever been moved. Contracted, yes, but never moved.

San Jose to Houston?

ExiledRed
04-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Methinks you need to take a look at my previous posts on the topic of government subsidies for sporting venues. If you do, you will note my objections toward the use of public money for BMO Field as well. Previous posts such as...

I certainly hope an apology for the implication of hypocrisy is on the horizon here.

Not at all, I began my post with an IF. Meaning that if the first statement is true then the second statement is true also.

By clarifying the first statement is false, you have ascertained the second statement is also false.

Why do I need to apologise for that?

Cashcleaner
04-19-2009, 12:32 PM
If you don't similarly object to the government funding of BMO you are a hypocrite, cash. what is it?Yeah, no sign of a loaded or hostile question there. :rolleyes:

ExiledRed
04-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah, no sign of a loaded or hostile question there.

Well that clears that up then.:rolleyes:

Cashcleaner
04-19-2009, 12:39 PM
No! I demand my pound of flesh, Exiled!

Like maybe a good side of Strip Loin.

Or Brisket.

FluSH
04-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Saputo is a business man... no doubt about it

Gazza_55
04-19-2009, 02:01 PM
i think the real mistake here is by don garber. He will regret not letting the impact into the mls. He has been very clear that expansion teams need to have a 20,000 seat soccer specific stadium. Now looking at expansion after Toronto, San Jose...seriouly it looks like a pile of shit, with some grass in the center, seattle, not soccer specific, phillly, shaky with respect to funding, Vancouver, not soccer specific, and Portland.

Qwest Field in Seattle is soccer specific and perfect for MLS at capacity 27k that can be upgraded for big matches. Vancouver and Portland will also be SSS.

Saputo low-balling MLS cost him a franchise that he would have eventually only paid $35m. To get in the league in 2013 or later will cost him at least $45m. He should have just paid the $10m in 2003 when Garber offered it to him.

boban
04-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Saputo low-balling MLS cost him a franchise that he would have eventually only paid $35m. To get in the league in 2013 or later will cost him at least $45m. He should have just paid the $10m in 2003 when Garber offered it to him.
Based on what? There are less markets to go to and the economic climate sucks, and will for a long time.
It most likely won't cost him more, and just may be less.
It's just too early really to speculate to be honest.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Why not? The NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball all ignore Montreal.

exactly Montreal is a minor league town at best...no pro league outside of
Hockey should give that city a franchise....Hear that Mr Saputo...NO to Montreal in MLS!!

Beach_Red
04-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Hockey should give that city a franchise....Hear that Mr Saputo...NO to Montreal in MLS!!

Actually, with the right ownership Montreal would be a great soccer market. I know you aren't interested in the CFL but starting in the 90's minoir league football went through a renaissance in Quebec and the Als in Molson stadium benefitted from that.

Now, like almost everywhere in north America minor soccer is huge and a pro team in Quebec would do really well.

The Als didn't do very well in Olympic Stadium, though, so it's not a slam dunk, but it can be done.

Redcoe15
04-19-2009, 06:08 PM
:Yawn: exactly Montreal is a minor league town at best, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...no pro league outside of
Hockey should give that city a franchise, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....Hear that Mr. Voice-Inside-My-Head...WHERE'S MY BLOW UP SEX DOLL?!!
Fixed!

You're welcome. ;) :D

Gazza_55
04-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Based on what? There are less markets to go to and the economic climate sucks, and will for a long time.
It most likely won't cost him more, and just may be less.
It's just too early really to speculate to be honest.

It can't be less than $35m because every other MLS franchise will be worth less and the league will have to give Portland and Vancouver money back. They will wait until someone is willing to pay $40m or $45m or whatever. If no one is willing to pay that for 10 years then they won't expand for 10 years. Which is fine by me cos 18 teams is good.

nfitz
04-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Hockey should give that city a franchise....Hear that Mr Saputo...NO to Montreal in MLS!!What, you think having a team in Dallas makes more sense - who can't get even get 7,000 fans out on beautiful weekend day? Montreal's USL attendance is much better than that; and they certainly have shown that can get 50,000 out for a big game, unlike MLS teams playing in the Champions League.

boban
04-19-2009, 11:58 PM
It can't be less than $35m because every other MLS franchise will be worth less and the league will have to give Portland and Vancouver money back. They will wait until someone is willing to pay $40m or $45m or whatever. If no one is willing to pay that for 10 years then they won't expand for 10 years. Which is fine by me cos 18 teams is good.
I'm just throwing it out there. I don't necessarily think it will. But what I do know is the goal posts keep moving with MLS and Garber that who knows where anything is really going to end up.

Cashcleaner
04-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Are some people forgetting the Impact packed 55,000 in the Big Owe for Champions League?

This may come as a shock to those less grounded in reality, but that actually happens to be a lot of people. Montreal can easily support the Impact in MLS.

Dunkers
04-20-2009, 01:47 AM
Qwest Field in Seattle is soccer specific and perfect for MLS at capacity 27k that can be upgraded for big matches. Vancouver and Portland will also be SSS.

have you forgotten about the Seattle Seagulls, i know they dont win too often at home, but they do play there, and the stadium holds some 70k, they just close the top half for footy. i wouldnt be suprised if those damn football line show up once Matt Hassleback and company return to playing there, (on a side not, why do you still see the gridiron line in Giants stadium in april! its not like they are playing games)

As for Vancouver, the bc lions, they will still play at bc place, so no its not soccer specific, you wont be able to sit close to the action as the bleachers will be far removed from the pitch, in order to accomodate the lions.

Whilte we are on the topic of soccer specific stadiums why dont we add RFK to the list, as DC is the only pro team stupid enough to play there... you could call it soccer specific, or an eye sore.

So really Seattle, San Jose, Vancouver dont play in soccer specific stadiums, (and to clear the air, neither does DC) but all paid in excess of 30 mil to get a franchise!

Don Garber = Money

Don Garber does not care about the state of soccer in north america, unless that caring helps him line his own pockets

Cashcleaner
04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Don Garber = Money

Don Garber does not care about the state of soccer in north america, unless that caring helps him line his own pockets

I wish I could get that framed. So many people assumed there wouldn't be anymore Canadian MLS clubs after Toronto's franchise because the USSF demands more American teams to develop talent with. That may be true, but it wasn't enough to stop Garber from awarding a franchise to Vancouver or possibly Montreal in the future. Why not? Because those cities have a greater potential than many other candidates to generate money for.

Gazza_55
04-20-2009, 03:24 PM
have you forgotten about the Seattle Seagulls, i know they dont win too often at home, but they do play there, and the stadium holds some 70k, they just close the top half for footy. i wouldnt be suprised if those damn football line show up once Matt Hassleback and company return to playing there, (on a side not, why do you still see the gridiron line in Giants stadium in april! its not like they are playing games)

As for Vancouver, the bc lions, they will still play at bc place, so no its not soccer specific, you wont be able to sit close to the action as the bleachers will be far removed from the pitch, in order to accomodate the lions.

Whilte we are on the topic of soccer specific stadiums why dont we add RFK to the list, as DC is the only pro team stupid enough to play there... you could call it soccer specific, or an eye sore.

So really Seattle, San Jose, Vancouver dont play in soccer specific stadiums, (and to clear the air, neither does DC) but all paid in excess of 30 mil to get a franchise!

Don Garber = Money

No I haven't forgotten about the Seattle Seahawks. Soccer Specific does NOT mean Soccer only. It means you control your own revenue, have some say in the dates, the sightlines are good and it feels like a footy stadium. I was at their home opener and Qwest is more of a soccer stadium than BMO field.