PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Demand

RedsYNWA
04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
BMO expansion...TFC Honeymoon is over etc.
An observation, you can get 20$ tickets from Stub Hub for the next 2 games, wow

You will see the stadium half empty this year on at least 2 or 3 occassions.
Demand for tickets is drying up.
Skalpers are losing $:eek:

looks like MLSE might have to fork out some $ for a DP:) or expansion will never happen

Dale_Rojo
04-15-2009, 08:31 PM
great news for me , ill be bringin new faces to the stands ;)

dcdcdc
04-15-2009, 08:33 PM
I think the novelty is wearing off and non sell outs may occur for a few games this year.

Pachuco
04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Well it's no coincidence that MLSE released tickets to 5 home games today.

wzhxvy
04-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Its a perfect storm of crappy scheduling (too many games close to each other), bad weather and poor play. Fing idiots...I mean its like they are trying to screw this up.

Darlofletch
04-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Makes me wish i hadn't bought the $920 season tickets. Well hopefully if this becomes a regular thing and there's a lot more empty seats, it will inspire them to show some ambition and make a real effort to compete.

If we keep losing, crowds will go down, and as the Blue Jays and Raptors show, once that happens it's awfully difficult to get back to regular sellouts in Toronto if you're not called the Leafs, no matter how popular you used to be.

loconet
04-15-2009, 08:43 PM
The recession is more real than our DP boys..

dcdcdc
04-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I think a huge factor in a drop in attendance will be the questionable location of BMO field and if many people would be still willing to continue to the long journey to a game if the team doesnt improve. It's like Ricoh in the middle of nowhere

CretanBull
04-15-2009, 09:05 PM
^ Questionable location? The best thing about BMO is the location.

Batman
04-15-2009, 09:05 PM
I think a huge factor in a drop in attendance will be the questionable location of BMO field and if many people would be still willing to continue to the long journey to a game if the team doesnt improve. It's like Ricoh in the middle of nowhere

Has BMO moved recently? Why wasn't the location a problem in previous years?

Redpunkfiddle
04-15-2009, 09:09 PM

Nonsence. It doesn't take a downtown Toronto elitist to know that BMO is perfectly sited close to good transit options, decent parking opportunities, and near to pre and post game watering holes filled with plenty of enjoyable shady characters.

Heathen
04-15-2009, 09:13 PM

:rolleyes: Don't tell me you're a So7

grimm
04-15-2009, 09:17 PM
These are Sunday and Wednesday games, plain and simple. I'm not going either...

dcdcdc
04-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Has BMO moved recently? Why wasn't the location a problem in previous years?

I'm saying for some people, to get to BMO is difficult because its not on the subway line. But initially they did it because of the initial frenzy. If 5% of the people aren't willing to do the journey anymore for a Wednesday night game, well thats 1000 seats empty for that game. I've had 2 guys bail on their share of seasons tickets just because it was a pain to come from Thornhill.

Wagner
04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm saying for some people, to get to BMO is difficult because its not on the subway line. But initially they did it because of the initial frenzy. If 5% of the people aren't willing to do the journey anymore for a Wednesday night game, well thats 1000 seats empty for that game. I've had 2 guys bail on their share of seasons tickets just because it was a pain to come from Thornhill.

it's toronto fc...not vaughn fc.
there are more people down near bmo....and literally millions of people along the lakeshore that have access to the go train...when you moved up there, you chose to move away from things that downtown people get to enjoy.

you're in the minority here.

Dave67
04-15-2009, 09:21 PM
The end is near! Maybe Kolumbus can support a second team :)

nfitz
04-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Could be worse - it could be in Vaughan!

Joe Kool
04-15-2009, 09:23 PM
I come from Ajax by car every game. No problem at all. I love being down by the water. Feels like a mini vacation for me every time. Guess it is not for everybody but I have no intention of stopping. I do find it interesting with the availability of extra tickets this year to the STH's but I think they will still all be sold by match day.

Yohan
04-15-2009, 09:25 PM
yay! i can attend more TFC games this year!

Mikey
04-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Lots of tickets available on the ticket exchange too.

Never thought I would see the day BMO was referred to as hard to get to, in the middle of nowhere.

This forum is AWESOME!

MUFC_Niagara
04-15-2009, 09:46 PM

Well that's their problem. I live in Niagara Falls and with traffic I am looking at a 2 hr trip each way. The only thing that keeps me from BMO is work. If people want to give up their tickets I can count on both hands and both feet people that I know in this neck of the woods that will gladly make the trip! The location is gold for me. 30 mins GO Train ride from Oakville!

MUFC_Niagara
04-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Lots of tickets available on the ticket exchange too.

Never thought I would see the day BMO was referred to as hard to get to, in the middle of nowhere.

This forum is AWESOME!

Tell me about it, Mikey. Where is James Oliphant, we need a facepalm!

BC101
04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
he did that at ME Today.

dcdcdc
04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
If the team doesnt improve soon, the place won't be sold out. Or it may be sold out just with a lot of no shows. The stadium is in a beautiful locale just not practical for some people, it should be on a subway line.

S_D
04-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Well if we are lucky, lots of people will give up their seasons and poor sods like me that don't have them can buy them up. :)

billyfly
04-15-2009, 09:53 PM

Are you one of those "never go south of 7" Italians?

Redpunkfiddle
04-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Oh right, like the one we are building out to the middle of nowhere in Vaughan!

I kid you not.... its going to the middle of nowhere.

olegunnar
04-15-2009, 09:54 PM
I guess the silver lining would be that those that go because it's a day light club...club BMO...would stop going because the novelty wore off (it's about that time....24-30 months)...people going for the footy could grab the tickets.

napoli73
04-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Well the novelty might have worn out for the curious bunch.....maybe now i can finally get my season tickets.

olegunnar
04-15-2009, 09:59 PM
If the team doesnt improve soon, the place won't be sold out. Or it may be sold out just with a lot of no shows. The stadium is in a beautiful locale just not practical for some people, it should be on a subway line.

Everyone is going to be on this guy's case...but he's got a point.

There was a weeknight game last year where I gave up and got off the King Streetcar at metro hall and walked to bmo because of the traffic. I beat the streetcar.

The King streetcar...or the harbourfront LRT both suck.

If the Go train is not an option BMO can be a pain to get to.

CretanBull
04-15-2009, 10:09 PM
For anyone who doesn't live downtown, anywhere along the subway line would be an absolute nightmare and the team probably never would have taken off like it has. BMO is in the best possible location, its walking distance from the GO Train which makes anyone from Hamilton to Oshawa happy, and its TTC accessible with the Bathurst and Lakeshore (which picks up at Union Station) street-cars stopping right at the stadium....you can take the Dufferin line down to King and walk, or take the King street-car to Dufferin and walk down. For anyone driving its minutes from the DVP. There's no better location in the city for a stadium.

JonO
04-15-2009, 10:11 PM
It's not over yet. A colleague of mine came into my office today asking if I could help him and his brothers get tickets. None of them are soccer fans, but they want to experience a TFC game...

And while BMO is not the easiest place to get to, it's not all that difficult...

S_D
04-15-2009, 10:23 PM
It can be a pain in the ass to get to, but I just overlook it lol.

I live in the northwest end so if I wanted to take TTC all of the way, an hour to get to the subway by bus, 30-45 minutes on the subway during rush hour, and then tack on the streetcar ride.

I would rather drive and pay for parking.

marshall_law
04-15-2009, 10:28 PM
The recession is more real than our DP boys..

bingo.

i wonder how many corp.-owned seasons won't be renewed next year...

stugautz
04-15-2009, 10:35 PM
So what I can gather is next year when I'm offered a half season pack I won't have to pay for the Marlies??

Exactly where am I supposed to complain?

James Oliphant

This one's worthy of some T-Palm...
http://gotorontofc.com/jamey/t_palm.jpg

he did that at ME Today.

...on more than one occasion.

Bars92
now I don't have to pay scalpers $80!

nfitz
04-15-2009, 10:57 PM
The Harbourfront streetcar has quite a queue after the gaem, but the Bathurst streetcar is more frequent, and perhaps less used. I took it after the first game, as I missed the eastbound GO by about 20 metres ... and there was literally 5 streetcars waiting; the only delay was the amount of time it took to board that many people (wish it was POP). Over the last year or so, TTC seem to have figured out that they can predict closely when the game will end, and stockpile a bunch of Bathurst streetcars ready to move people out quickly. And with the new dedicated ROW along Fleet to Bathurst, it can be on Bathurst quite quickly.

One thing to look forward to, is GO frequencies should increase a lot in the next year or two, so taking GO will be a better option, and with weekend and all-day service starting on more GO lines, one can just take GO to Union and change to a Georgetown or other train.

Transit will get better. Who knows, if they build this new downtown subway line they are talking about, there could even be a station quite close to Exhibition.

hamiltonfan
04-16-2009, 01:12 AM
To average southern Ontario sports fans ticket demand can be broken down into this:
new team=hot ticket
winning=hot ticket
losing at home to an expansion side= bullshit
a draw at home to the worst team in the league= bullshit
low scoring games early in the season at a cold BMO field= bullshit

Once a few scalpers get out of the TFC business the season tickets will open up to the thousands of other will supporters. I’m on the red waiting list along with a huge group of friends.

nfitz
04-16-2009, 01:20 AM
To average southern Ontario sports fans ticket demand can be broken down into this:
new team=hot ticket
winning=hot ticketAnd yet I hear the Maple Laughs still sell out. Perhaps there is another criteria?

hamiltonfan
04-16-2009, 01:33 AM
My man we all know The Toronto Maple Leafs are in a ballpark FAR FAR away in regards to another criteria. We are talking about the highest valued franchise in the National Hockey League. The corporate world buys up the tickets, fans buy the merchandise, TV Channel and the odd over priced ticket.

MLSE needs a winning team to sellout. Its an early season boys. we are going to come up with some big wins in the next few games.. those few games in august and july will be a hot ticket

ensco
04-16-2009, 04:29 AM
My man we all know The Toronto Maple Leafs are in a ballpark FAR FAR away in regards to another criteria. We are talking about the highest valued franchise in the National Hockey League. The corporate world buys up the tickets, fans buy the merchandise, TV Channel and the odd over priced ticket.

It's going to be interesting for the Leafs. They have a huge waiting list, they could sell out the greens 10x over, but demand is not there at the prices they charge for the seats in the lower bowl.

A bunny with a very good nose has told me that the Leafs have a problem with seasons tickets renewals in the Golds and Platinums, and a gigantic problem with the Raptors renewals across the board.

MLSE are bleeding everywhere. There'll be no grass, no DP, and they'll palm the Edu money.

Calvin
04-16-2009, 06:18 AM
In case you were worried about TFC ticket demand, peep this:

Chicago Fire at Columbus Crew Tickets 4/25 4-25-2009
Saturday
7:00 PM $12 - $59
MLS cup champs vs top team in the league!

Chicago Fire at Toronto FC Tickets 5/16 5-16-2009
Saturday
4:00 pm $56 - $5700

brad
04-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Everyone is going to be on this guy's case...but he's got a point.

There was a weeknight game last year where I gave up and got off the King Streetcar at metro hall and walked to bmo because of the traffic. I beat the streetcar.

The King streetcar...or the harbourfront LRT both suck.

If the Go train is not an option BMO can be a pain to get to.

You can jump the GO train from Union to Exhibition.

Also, I don't know if the still run it, but when I lived in the Annex, TTC ran an express bus from Bathurst Station. It came every 10 minutes, took around 10 minutes to get to BMO. I took it to every match.

It's not that hard to get to...

Carter
04-16-2009, 07:42 AM

I love how you just contradicted yourself, some things on this forum are just amazing.
:eek:

Nodoubtguy
04-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Dufferin Bus from Dufferin Station
Streetcar from either King, St Andrew, or Dundas West Station
Bathurst Streetcar from Bathurst Station

It takes me maybe 15 minutes to go from Bathurst Station to BMO.....is that really that much of an issue??

Carter
04-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Dufferin Bus from Dufferin Station
Streetcar from either King, St Andrew, or Dundas West Station
Bathurst Streetcar from Bathurst Station

It takes me maybe 15 minutes to go from Bathurst Station to BMO.....is that really that much of an issue??

Or just come down early for the tailgate, and there are NO issues, post game head to joes for a couple brews with your boys, and grab the streetcar at king, again NO issues...

Mark in Ottawa
04-16-2009, 08:00 AM

:smilielol5:
You have got to be kidding.

Living here in the wasteland of Eastern Ontario where there is no interconnected transit system between towns/cities I know just how good you have got it. Subway/Bus/streetcar/Go Train all connected... I am Jealous as hell!

There really is only one way to get around if you live here and want to attend just about any event. :auto:

Yeah... we have a good bus service across the core of the city of Ottawa but our main large event venue isn't there but out in the sticks for a lot of people.

Mark in Ottawa
04-16-2009, 08:01 AM
So what I can gather is next year when I'm offered a half season pack I won't have to pay for the Marlies??

Exactly where am I supposed to complain?
^^ +1 from here ;)

Nuvinho
04-16-2009, 08:20 AM
It could be that one of Toronto FC's sponsor's backed out (which can be justified during these economic times) and their block of tickets for each game is on sale?

giambac
04-16-2009, 08:30 AM

looks like MLSE might have to fork out some $ for a DP:) or expansion will never happen

Like I said the honeymoon is over.
Bring in players, play exciting ball, win some games, make it look like you care about the loyal supporters and maybe they will continue to support the team.

Lie to us as Mo has been doing, play like shit like they have been ,and you will lose the fan support.

It's that simple.

Arnie Knows
04-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Get DP spruce shit up .

Need new buzz

Don Julio
04-16-2009, 08:38 AM
The location is really not the problem in the least. At all. 100% off the mark.

A glut of home games in cold weather, including Wed & Sun games against teams that are crap and we really don't have a rivalry with is the problem. Mid-week has always been a bit of a problem. Throw in the fact that there's a low of 1°C and I think you have part of your answer.

But really it's the density. Unless you're winning it's hard to sell this many games in such a short time. I hope TFC sticks up for itself with regards to schedule next year. This is insane.

Fort York Redcoat
04-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Christ. This reads like we're getting Marlies attendance. Are we really worried we're not as popular as last year?:rolleyes:

Phil
04-16-2009, 08:40 AM
I think its due to a Wednesday night game, and a Sunday night game. Really there isn't much more about it.

I am sure some of the negative stuff in the media and the underwhelming games factor in, but game dates and start times are the biggest contributors to the issue IMO.

menefreghista
04-16-2009, 08:41 AM
I do think the ticket demand has taken a bit of a hit. But I think there is enough of a fan base now to scoop up any tickets that get released late.

The one thing I do question is the season ticket waiting list. I wonder how many people on that list are really only interested in getting cheap south end or corner tickets. How many of them are willing to grab season tickets for $800+? I bet very few.

dcdcdc
04-16-2009, 09:32 AM
BMO field is in a beautiful location once you get down there. But for people who have to travel through the city and choose to depend on transit, it's impossible. 90 minutes from Dufferin and Steeles sometimes for me. It just should have been on the subway line. The Streetcar was great for 1920. That's all I meant. I'm sure it's great for people living on lakeshore or people on the GO from Oakville.. but I've had people bail on the ST's just because they didnt want to deal with the trip. it's a fact.

If a team is marginal for a long time, people will just not show up anymore and find any reason not to, and transit is a factor. I am at every game but the idea that a 10-15k crowd showing up wont occur is nonsense, especially for weeknight and april games. Even the Red Sox and Yankees played to half-empty houses during some of the 80s and 90s.

I love how you just contradicted yourself, some things on this forum are just amazing.
:eek:

Nodoubtguy
04-16-2009, 09:34 AM
It just should have been on the subway line.

so where on the subway line would you have put it?? I don't know too many places along the line with room for a 20k+ stadium, parking, ect....

rocker
04-16-2009, 09:37 AM
steeles/dufferin? in a few years you'll have a subway stop right near your door... take that down to union, then grab the streetcar over. it won't take 90 minutes.

and if they ever build that downtown relief line, which seems to be gathering steam as an idea, then BMO will be on a subway line. Transit City also looks like it will be helping to increase public transit speed around the city.

brad
04-16-2009, 10:18 AM
BMO field is in a beautiful location once you get down there. But for people who have to travel through the city and choose to depend on transit, it's impossible. 90 minutes from Dufferin and Steeles sometimes for me. It just should have been on the subway line. The Streetcar was great for 1920. That's all I meant. I'm sure it's great for people living on lakeshore or people on the GO from Oakville.. but I've had people bail on the ST's just because they didnt want to deal with the trip. it's a fact.

Being on the subway line is great for residents in Toronto, but not much use for those that drive in or take the GO train from the suburbs or out of town. If the stadium was not easily accessible to those people, it could account for just as many lost tickets as you seem to think the current location does. So you argument about that is bust.

Enlighten me - where should the stadium have been built that is on the subway line, has easy access for people that drive, is on the GO line, and actually has land available to build a stadium on?

Also, I find it hard to believe that very many people that rely on the TTC daily find the trip to BMO that prohibitive. The subway coverage in this city sucks, buses and streetcars are a necessity for most of us.

DVS
04-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Being on the subway line is great for residents in Toronto, but not much use for those that drive in or take the GO train from the suburbs or out of town. If the stadium was not easily accessible to those people, it could account for just as many lost tickets as you seem to think the current location does. So you argument about that is bust.

Enlighten me - where should the stadium have been built that is on the subway line, has easy access for people that drive, is on the GO line, and actually has land available to build a stadium on?

Also, I find it hard to believe that very many people that rely on the TTC daily find the trip to BMO that prohibitive. The subway coverage in this city sucks, buses and streetcars are a necessity for most of us.

Well if I say where I think the stadium should have been it would just be me dreaming. I think the Varsity location was a fabulous spot but we all know how that ended. The york U location never looked really desirable but personally would have loved a Downsview Park Location.

Personally its a pain for me to get to BMO but it is what it is. In about 10 years or so it will be dubbed "the mistake by the lake" once again but thats just be being pessimistic

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Are you one of those "never go south of 7" Italians?

OFFSIDE

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/empics/20090214/22/4209808063-soccer-coca-cola-football-league-championship-birmingham-city-v-nottingham.jpg

dcdcdc
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Exhibition grounds was relevant 50 years ago but is now a wasteland.. the geography of the city has changed. More than half the GTA lives outside the city. The Jays and Raptors and Leafs are all at the the major hub of the city and this land wasn't empty when they built these stadiums. ACC was built at the Canada Post building location.

Our subway is pretty impressive for North America actually and other cities would die for it. We should have taken advantage of it. Varsity would have been beautiful if it went through.

But this stadium caters to people who drive and pay $10 for parking. It wasn't smart from a "Transit City" point of view. That's all.

BRed
04-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I thought that it might have been because of the windy weather the past 2 home games but I do get the feeling that MLSE has taken it for granted that they need to sell this product. They really have abandoned their marketing for TFC. It's a shame if they run this ship to the ground specially with all the interest and dedicationg that was cested by the fans.

*Having said that I have 2 face value tickets to go see l'impact the montreal..if you guys want PM me..

dupont
04-16-2009, 11:17 AM
But this stadium caters to people who drive and pay $10 for parking. It wasn't smart from a "Transit City" point of view. That's all.

No way. This is the perfect location for public transit. I live around Bloor and Spadina and I take the streetcar and find it very convenient.
On the other side you have all the suburban car addicts actually taking public transportation because the stadium is so close to GO Transit. They would not do this otherwise.
It's a very responsible location for both inner city dwellers and suburbanites.

It may not be as awesome a location as the ACC but it's still damn good.

Pinkie
04-16-2009, 11:33 AM
. Varsity would have been beautiful if it went through.

have you ever been on bloor street at 3pm on saturday MUCH LESS tried to find parking around that area at any given moment during the week? IMPOSSIBLE

also I went to york and that commute was SHIT

BMO is in a great location in terms of public transit.end of.

Heathen
04-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Exhibition grounds was relevant 50 years ago but is now a wasteland.. the geography of the city has changed. More than half the GTA lives outside the city. The Jays and Raptors and Leafs are all at the the major hub of the city and this land wasn't empty when they built these stadiums. ACC was built at the Canada Post building location.

Our subway is pretty impressive for North America actually and other cities would die for it. We should have taken advantage of it. Varsity would have been beautiful if it went through.

A wasteland? what about Liberty Village or up on King, all within walking distance of BMO.
We already know that Varsity was a no go, so tell me somewhere else on the subway line where it could've been built that isn't a bigger wasteland (which Downsview is)

menefreghista
04-16-2009, 11:35 AM
The stadium location is great. Saying it keeps you away from the games just makes you look stupid, like the people who leave games early.

The Amphitheater is across the street and it is the #1 concert venue in the city in the summer. How could that be the case if the location sucks so bad?

If you live north of the city, I recommend driving and parking north of the stadium. If you want me to recommend some good city routes to get down to the stadium, I can. I live in Woodbridge and can get to the stadium in half an hour by car, even during rush hour.

I will admit that I use to take public transit to games but stopped because it was taking too long.

Ladies Love Julius James
04-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Isolated from the city, catering to those who arrive from the GO or the suburbs, congestion, yea I think it has a great current location.

DVS
04-16-2009, 11:59 AM
A wasteland? what about Liberty Village or up on King, all within walking distance of BMO.
We already know that Varsity was a no go, so tell me somewhere else on the subway line where it could've been built that isn't a bigger wasteland (which Downsview is)

A park, a subway stop, a great university and great community spirit. Not to mention the most U14 soccer players per capita in Toronto.

In downsview they breathe soccer it ain't no wasteland. Not to mention no lake effect problems like the future mistake by the lake will be

Heathen
04-16-2009, 12:06 PM
A park, a subway stop, a great university and great community spirit. Not to mention the most U14 soccer players per capita in Toronto.

In downsview they breathe soccer it ain't no wasteland. Not to mention no lake effect problems like the future mistake by the lake will be

Come on, where're the bars the pubs within walking distance? its a park, it would be a similar location to where Crew Stadium is in Columbus and BMOs sure as hell better than there

Parkdale
04-16-2009, 12:11 PM
are we really debating if TFC plays in a good location?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2694122903_ca88ffc441_m.jpg

^ see those buildings in the background? you want to be as close to those as possible.
BMO Field is about as close to the downtown core (and the benefits of mass transit) as it could possibly be.

people will jump on me for this, but if TFC decided to play at downsview park, I probably wouldn't be a season ticket holder.

I'd go to a few games, but probably not every single one like I do now.

dcdcdc
04-16-2009, 12:14 PM
You can have a stadium location that encourages people in the city to drive or people to take transit. I live on the border of this town and if it is easier for many to drive than it wasnt put in a good place. And I live 5 minutes from a subway stop. If the Leafs were put on Exhibition Grounds, people would go nuts.

They will never put a subway stop at Exhibition grounds. LRT is no replacement. If they expand it by 10-15k, it will be a disaster with parking and streetcars. That's a fact. If it takes 2 hours for 20% of people to get to games, they wont be so willing.

We'll see..

JonO
04-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Do you work for MLS or something? This is almost their exact plan for most of the US stadium locations and look how well it's turning out for them...

I remember one of the stats that surprised everyong where the number of young professional who lived and worked downtown and who also bought tickets (and not just the cheap ones). There are lots of legitimate beefs with BMO field (although I am happy with it for now), but location isn't one of them.

maninb
04-16-2009, 12:33 PM

Surely you're joking....NO BARS or PUBS...And extremely hard to get to unless your coming from the North of the 401....BMO field is in a great location...

S_D
04-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't think anyone is really complaining about the location of BMO. It is a great spot. Nice view etc.

It is the transit that sucks if you aren't on one of the main lines. It takes me an hour to get to Downsview station via TTC buses. By car: 12 minutes.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-16-2009, 12:38 PM

if people stop showing up cause the team is not winning, are not real supporters anyways let them bugger off to the Jays while they are winning ( for the moment) when the Jays get back to losing they can come back to BMO with TFC in a playoff hunt

Carter
04-16-2009, 12:42 PM

If a team is marginal for a long time, people will just not show up anymore and find any reason not to, and transit is a factor. I am at every game but the idea that a 10-15k crowd showing up wont occur is nonsense, especially for weeknight and april games. Even the Red Sox and Yankees played to half-empty houses during some of the 80s and 90s.

It takes me an hour to get from yonge and sheppard (and i have to take a subway and streetcar), dufferin and steeles is only a touch farther, you should just take the bus straight down dufferin and your there... i don't know what takes you so long? :noidea:

S_D
04-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Surely you're joking....NO BARS or PUBS...And extremely hard to get to unless your coming from the North of the 401....BMO field is in a great location...

Yes there are bars and pubs there. Just not very many It would depend where the stadium was located in Downsview. If it was close to the Downsview subway near the reserves base, all you have to do is look north west. There are a pile of stores and stuff just to the west of the base opposite where the buses are stored, and behind there are some watering holes. And I am sure some enterprising people would set up bars fast.

If it is near the PMQ's by keele, lot of places there too.

It would all depend where the stadium was located in the park as to how accessible it would be.

nimamalek
04-16-2009, 12:46 PM
for everyone I know who has a season ticket I have 3-4 friends who want one. I think for the next couple of years we will be ok. If we are a losing team 2-3 years down the line I might give up my tickets, i'll support Vancouver at that point :)

Parkdale
04-16-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.fedpubs.com/maps/map_pix/torealg.jpg

^ Toronto, the GTA and the Golden Horseshoe --- It's BIG!

first wipe the grease off your pinky finger, and then put it on the image above.
Try to put your finger right on 'The Center' of the whole thing. you know where it is.

So guess what? BMO is under your pinky! You really can't get any better than that.

BleedRed
04-16-2009, 12:50 PM
there are more people down near bmo....and literally millions of people along the lakeshore that have access to the go train...when you moved up there, you chose to move away from things that downtown people get to enjoy.

That's some dumbass ignorant shit...I can assure you...people not living in Toronto are NOT the minority...

dcdcdc
04-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Toronto FC doesn't have an infinite fan base willing to sign up for 1500 dollar season tickets. You will need to win to have 90% renewals and sellout consistently. There are the rare teams that have excellent tv packages, sellout and lose (the Leafs and NFL teams). The Jays fell off the planet in 94 after one so so season and have never recovered.

if people stop showing up cause the team is not winning, are not real supporters anyways let them bugger off to the Jays while they are winning ( for the moment) when the Jays get back to losing they can come back to BMO with TFC in a playoff hunt

ilikemusic
04-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Playoffs?!?!

S_D
04-16-2009, 12:56 PM
And if i put my finger in the middle of the grey splotch it is brampton lol.

Which would be terrible because their transit is worse than in the outlying Toronto areas.

Parkdale
04-16-2009, 01:01 PM

That's some dumbass ignorant shit...I can assure you...people not living in Toronto are NOT the minority...

his point stands (despite his tone)

the bulk of the population lives along the lake.
Toronto, 'Sauga, Oakville, Ajax, Oshawa, Hamilton etc etc etc
are all on the lake, and they all have easy access to BMO on the GO lines.
If the stadium was more north, like downsview or even Varsity,
then it would be that much harder for the majority of the GTA's population
to get there on an efficient and direct route.

rocker
04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
if they put the stadium in Downsview it would be harder for me to get there.

So the people who live near downsview would have my current convenience, while suddenly I would take 90 minutes to get to Downsview.

You can't satisfy everyone.

I don't think people realize that Downsview is as far from downtown toronto as many of teh MLS stadiums are from their downtowns, yet for some reason we are always laughing at those cities for not putting their stadiums downtown.

Downsview is as far from downtown as Cawthra Road in Mississauga. And I'm sure people here would hate to travel out to Mississauga for a game.

Yohan
04-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't think people realize that Downsview is as far from downtown toronto as many of teh MLS stadiums are from their downtowns, yet for some reason we are always laughing at those cities for not putting their stadiums downtown.

Downsview is as far from downtown as Cawthra Road in Mississauga. And I'm sure people here would hate to travel out to Mississauga for a game.
yeah, but missisauga doesnt have a subway line right on it unlike downsview

new 30,000 seater stadium plus a new mall with all the amenities, it could work (pipe dream, i know)

dcdcdc
04-16-2009, 01:15 PM
The question is for expansion.. can the current way work? If the capacity were to double and say 40% of people drive into the city for a game and the rest via Streetcars and GO?

Jack
04-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Actually, when it comes to season ticket holders, they are ;)

Dale_Rojo
04-16-2009, 01:39 PM
It's going to be interesting for the Leafs. They have a huge waiting list, they could sell out the greens 10x over, but demand is not there at the prices they charge for the seats in the lower bowl.

A bunny with a very good nose has told me that the Leafs have a problem with seasons tickets renewals in the Golds and Platinums, and a gigantic problem with the Raptors renewals across the board.

MLSE are bleeding everywhere. There'll be no grass, no DP, and they'll palm the Edu money.

the leafs dont have a huge waiting list LOL its in the # of 4,000 people ... do the research!!

Parkdale
04-16-2009, 01:40 PM
the leafs dont have a huge waiting list LOL its in the # of 4,000 people ... do the research!!

leafs don't have a large waiting list because they have a 99.5% renewal rate, so most people see that being on the waiting list is pointless.

there's the research.

Jack
04-16-2009, 01:50 PM
They can't "palm the Edu money" ensco.

Roogsy
04-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Haven't they been doing that so far?

How long do they have until they have to spend it? Or is there a loophole.

menefreghista
04-16-2009, 02:10 PM
This is most likely were the Edu money is going:

http://www.insidetoronto.ca/article/67219

Hopefully paving the way to grass at BMO Field.

rocker
04-16-2009, 02:13 PM
yeah, but missisauga doesnt have a subway line right on it unlike downsview

that's irrelevant to my argument.
I live in mississauga and don't have a subway line to Downsview.

BMO has a fabulous Go Train line right on it too, a line that helps me get from a further distance than Downsview to BMO in just 20 minutes.

Anyhow, we can revisit this issue after transit city is done and the new subway is built to Vaughan. Coming from Steeles and Dufferin will be a breeze when you an just park at York U and ride the subway down to union.

The solution is to build better transit, not to move the stadium around.. cuz when you move the stadium around someone is always left out.

Now, if Downsview had a Go Train line next door accessible from the west and east then it might supplant BMO as the best site in a transportation sense.

T.Reis
04-16-2009, 02:15 PM
a small factor might be that there seems to be a lot of TFC fans that are douchebags now more then ever.

Most recent case in point, I'm walking down Dufferin to BMO the last game and some guy (who must have been around 30) is waving his TFC flag around trying to hit people on purpose. So he puts the flag over his shoulder and then makes a sharp turn to the left knowing that his flag pole is going to swing to the right and hit some girl. Ofcourse it does, right in the face. And no that's not funny because when your talking about the girls face that could have easily been her eyes.

Seriously? W.T.F! Is everyone just turning into an asshole suddenly for the simple sake of giving their buddies a quick giggle?

Not to mention all the shit that was going on last year on the GO train after the game, lots of innocent people being harrassed by drunks for no reason then to try to make the other drunks laugh.

Again, a small factor but maybe there's a few out there where it's just not worth their time or $$$ anymore.

Was this post long enough to be a rant?

Parkdale
04-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Again, a small factor but maybe there's a few out there where it's just not worth their time or $$$ anymore.

that was just right for a rant. and you know what? it's a valid point.
there have always been douchebags associated with pro sports,
and now it seems like they're not hiding it anymore.

all teams have them though, they just act different.

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/artest.jpg

Dbl_D
04-16-2009, 03:27 PM
a small factor might be that there seems to be a lot of TFC fans that are douchebags now more then ever.

Seriously? W.T.F! Is everyone just turning into an asshole suddenly for the simple sake of giving their buddies a quick giggle?

:noidea: exactly WTF...? I think people in Toronto, generally over the last few years, have turned in to assholes... T.O. use to be a friendly place... sadly not any longer...

think about this the next time your going to do an asshole thing... lets represent RPB :canada::drinking::hump:

GBV
04-16-2009, 04:07 PM
not only is the team not winning, it's "not winning" in dull fashion.
seriously, ignoring the atmosphere/experience, how many home games have been "exciting" with regards to what happens on the field?
i'm not even talking "skill level" so much. i'm talking chances, back-and-forth action, risk-taking, offensive thought. etc.

off the top of my head, i'll guess six to eight.

Pookie
04-16-2009, 04:17 PM
I think some of you are reading WAY too much into tickets being released prior to games and a stub hub sale.

Contrary to popular opinion, you can get Leaf tickets at cost in the days leading up to games all the time. Particularly, mid-week games.

Check Monday mornings for games on Wednesdays and you'll find quite a variety.

Leafs attendance dropped by 120 fans per game (on average) this year, yet no one is proclaiming interest has dropped.

Has the waiting list dried up? Did all gold listers get seasons? Nope.

What I read into tickets being released for TFC games?

Simply that they held back a number of seats for games for partners (and players) and didn't get the demand for the tickets they were holding back. They then offer them up to the general public.

Same as they do with the Leafs.

I'd be concerned if the renewal rate fell. If the wait list shrunk. If they couldn't sell their season tickets. If TV ratings were down. If games were going uncovered.

None of that is happening.

T.Reis
04-16-2009, 04:22 PM
:noidea: exactly WTF...? I think people in Toronto, generally over the last few years, have turned in to assholes... T.O. use to be a friendly place... sadly not any longer...

think about this the next time your going to do an asshole thing... lets represent RPB :canada::drinking::hump:

I was actually thinking about that a little bit after my post, bcuz u see the same thing at Jays games as well. For a second I thought maybe it's just the media focusing in on it a little more now.

But truth be told, as little as 5 years ago I could go to any sporting event in the city and rarely run into a fan(s) being asses. Now it seems more likely that u will come across something stupid then not.

At work I still defend TFC fans for the bad "hooligan rap" that was placed upon them, but even I'm starting to get fed up off this particular generation and what they seem to think going out and having a good time means.

OneLoveOneEric
04-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Definitely more douchbaggery in and around BMO this year than usual.
Never mind the guys across from me in 114 that think that yelling at opposition keepers for being homosexuals, or other such creative gems as "Burse wears a purse" are fitting, creative terrace classics :)

stretchthetruth
04-16-2009, 05:34 PM

leafs don't have a large waiting list because they have a 99.5% renewal rate, so most people see that being on the waiting list is pointless.

there's the research.

its actually more in the neighbourhood of 650. i called to get on the list, and spoke to the rep that handles the waiting list. i would have been #652, about 3 years ago. i asked him how quickly the list moves, and he said i would have to will my spot on the list to my kids - after working there for 10 years, he'd seen 6 seats turnover. not 6 pairs, 6 seats. total. nobody signs up for the list. its pointless.

Smokecell
04-16-2009, 06:34 PM
on a sort of related note, whats quicker if you're subwaying from the west end, the dufferin bus (which i usually take), or one of the streetcar routes?

thanks in advance to whoever answers

Brooker
04-16-2009, 06:58 PM
after working there for 10 years, he'd seen 6 seats turnover. not 6 pairs, 6 seats. total. its pointless.

wow...

Jack
04-16-2009, 07:15 PM
on a sort of related note, whats quicker if you're subwaying from the west end, the dufferin bus (which i usually take), or one of the streetcar routes?

Depends. Where are you coming from?

My preference would be Dufferin on a weekday, but Bathurst on a weekend, I think.

Nomad
04-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Streetcar is never preferable. Way too slow, too much traffic jamming it. Sometimes you can be waiting a while for that damn streetcar too.

Dufferin is way easier but it usually drops you off just outside the CNE and you have to walk.

Smokecell
04-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Depends. Where are you coming from?

My preference would be Dufferin on a weekday, but Bathurst on a weekend, I think.

Coming from beginning (or end) of the line kipling station, so dufferin is the closest stop which is why i usually take that route.

Also Nomad I really don't mind that walk, I mean it's not actually even that long :P

dannyd
04-16-2009, 10:02 PM

Dufferin bus definately...

nfitz
04-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Also, I don't know if the still run it, but when I lived in the Annex, TTC ran an express bus from Bathurst Station. It came every 10 minutes, took around 10 minutes to get to BMO. I took it to every match.Uh, was that the summer TTC ripped up the streetcar tracks on Fleet Street? The bus was a temporary replacement for the Bathurst Streetcar - which is now back. And works great!

RedsYNWA
04-17-2009, 12:33 PM
I think some of you are reading WAY too much into tickets being released prior to games and a stub hub sale.

Contrary to popular opinion, you can get Leaf tickets at cost in the days leading up to games all the time. Particularly, mid-week games.

Check Monday mornings for games on Wednesdays and you'll find quite a variety.

Leafs attendance dropped by 120 fans per game (on average) this year, yet no one is proclaiming interest has dropped.

Has the waiting list dried up? Did all gold listers get seasons? Nope.

What I read into tickets being released for TFC games?

Simply that they held back a number of seats for games for partners (and players) and didn't get the demand for the tickets they were holding back. They then offer them up to the general public.

Same as they do with the Leafs.

I'd be concerned if the renewal rate fell. If the wait list shrunk. If they couldn't sell their season tickets. If TV ratings were down. If games were going uncovered.

None of that is happening.

How do we know when tickets are being released to supposed Sold out games for TFC and the Leafs, I'm sure as hell not going to be on ticketmaster 24-7

Wighty
04-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Coming from beginning (or end) of the line kipling station, so dufferin is the closest stop which is why i usually take that route.

Also Nomad I really don't mind that walk, I mean it's not actually even that long :P

You could also catch the King streetcar from dundas west station.

T.Reis
04-17-2009, 03:20 PM
well something is up because i usually never have a problem with geting rid of tickets but for some reason I can't ger rid of tickets this year. And not just weekdays either.

Here's the next pair to go:
For $100 (face value) u can have my pair of tickets for Wedensday's game.
Section 224, Row 23, seat 5&6.

Pm me if intrested. Live at Winston Churchill and Q.E.W. for meet up!

You see what i just did there? it's called finding ways to sell your tickets in threads other then the ticket trader!

Dbl_D
04-17-2009, 03:47 PM

Dufferin bus is great...

James Oliphant
04-17-2009, 04:27 PM

Yup. Definitely the better route.

Manutd #1
04-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I think the location is nice in alot of ways and also bad in alot of ways. Weeknight games are the worst I drive from downtown yonge and dundas, and last year it took me over an hour to get to the stadium when it should take 10 mins. Also it is the hardest place to get in and out of but that is part of any sports event. I just do not know where else people think they should have put the stadium?\

Thearcticwander
05-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know how long the wait list is for season tickets? I just got on the list and I have no idea if this is a one year or five year wait.

Phil
05-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know how long the wait list is for season tickets? I just got on the list and I have no idea if this is a one year or five year wait.

Somewhere between 10 and 14 thousand. That was the number I heard at the begining of the year.

Maple Leaf Red
05-22-2009, 01:47 PM
well something is up because i usually never have a problem with geting rid of tickets but for some reason I can't ger rid of tickets this year. And not just weekdays either.

Here's the next pair to go:
For $100 (face value) u can have my pair of tickets for Wedensday's game.
Section 224, Row 23, seat 5&6.

Pm me if intrested. Live at Winston Churchill and Q.E.W. for meet up!

You see what i just did there? it's called finding ways to sell your tickets in threads other then the ticket trader!

This is a pretty interesting thread to revisit. After going to the games this year I don't think that there has been a marked decrease in interest. I think that a couple of things are causing it to seem like there is a biggest drop.

Part of the problem is that people that want tickets believe the "It's Impossible To Get Them" story and don't bother finding out where to get them. The TicketExchange is only available to season ticket holders when maybe it should be open to the public.

It also doesn't help that people only want to buy tickets in about 4 sections. Seems they are huge fans of the RPB and not so much of TFC.

JonO
05-22-2009, 01:52 PM
^^^ There is definitely a decrease in interest. I have a pair of the "more expensive" seats. In previous year, people would snatch them up no problem. This year I have given them away more time than i have sold them due to lack of interest.

In the last couple of years, people would jump at a chance just to get into a game. Now they only want the supporters' sections.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some people fairly low on the waiting list get season tickets for next year - if they are willing to pay more...

Pookie
05-22-2009, 01:55 PM
If the team doesnt improve soon, the place won't be sold out.

I take a slight issue with that.

The boys sit in a playoff position, 2 points out of first.
They are leading the Canadian Championship.
They have a couple of local boys (Brennan, De Rosario, Serioux and Sutton if you include the 'big stinky' as local).
They host numerous community events and clinics. The Players are friendly and accessible.

They might not sell out as the MLS isn't a "star" league. But to suggest that attendance declining is a function of the team and/or its play... what kind of improvement are you looking for?

BuSaPuNk
05-22-2009, 02:01 PM
^^^ There is definitely a decrease in interest. I have a pair of the "more expensive" seats. In previous year, people would snatch them up no problem. This year I have given them away more time than i have sold them due to lack of interest.

In the last couple of years, people would jump at a chance just to get into a game. Now they only want the supporters' sections.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some people fairly low on the waiting list get season tickets for next year - if they are willing to pay more...

I hear ya. I hold out for the most part to get southend tickets when I'm picking some up. If I can't get them no biggie....just want the less expensive seats can't really afford $50+ a seat then parking.

It's a double whammy people being a little more causious what they spend there entertainment dollar on and the all mighty desire to be in the southend.

brad
05-22-2009, 02:05 PM
It also doesn't help that people only want to buy tickets in about 4 sections. Seems they are huge fans of the RPB and not so much of TFC.

This could also be a factor of cost. A lot of the seats that come up are $$$.

TorontoBlades
05-22-2009, 02:22 PM
The only thing that ever carried interest in this team was the passionate support that we gave the team from day 1. Unfortunately, the folks at MLSE took credit for it, collected tons of praise for the marketing that apparently made everyone come to the stands, and allowed the RPB to suck on the tit for a bit as part of the marketing initiative. Now the worst part is that these people actually BELIEVED that it was indeed them tha created this - it's one thing to steal credit, and I'm sure most would let them have the praise as long as it meant a good working realtionship...but it's a completely different animal to actually start beleiveing in it.

They then started ripping apart at the autheniticty of the product - to try to make it a more manageable business model for the higher ups, things like the streamers and the whole stand-up here, sit-down there sections started to come into play. They would make "comprimises" with the supporters groups and the supporters would suck away at the tit (hey, I'm assuming here...but that's the way it usually works). Eventually when you tear at the authenticity of a product, no matter how hard you try to mask it....it starts to look fake - and that is where we stand today.

One day, the supporters are going to have to take back the team if they want to be able to support TFC the way they did on day 1. I personally am too busy fucking my own "partners" up and dont have nearly enough time - but I know a lot of you have invested the time and heart into the club...and my recommendation is to start investing it in the right places.

Pookie
05-22-2009, 02:40 PM
^ how exactly does it look "fake?"

Vancity RED
05-22-2009, 02:53 PM
^ Empty seats for important CC games and when the people that do show up act like they're at a Leafs game on one hand and and talk about how great the supporters are on the other. These are the people that come late, and leave early. They leave their seats 5 mins before half time and then show up 10 mins after the second half has started. They think the songs and the chants are cool but don't participate unless they're blitzed. That's my take anyway...

TorontoBlades
05-22-2009, 03:10 PM
^ how exactly does it look "fake?"

I can't speak for the rest of BMO - but I've sat in the same seats in 111 every game since the first game and the people around me have morphed from hardcore TFC supporters, to people going on dates in Blue Jay caps taking pictures of section 112. And this is 111, who knows what it's like on the west side... We used to be able to do whatever we want at BMO and now we walk a tight rope in order to accomodate MLSE and BMO policy. We cannot throw streamers - whether on not you want to is different - but now we can't. We have to sit or stand based on what section we have tickets in and I'm sure there's plenty more, flags rules, rules, rules, rules!!!! - we're all simply good clients of the MLSE now. We've forgotten how much leverage we have...no offence but if supporters had a common strong voice - Paul or whomever would have to listen...if he didn't he'd be out of the best job he ever had. It's just my opinion....take it for what you'd like

BRed
05-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I hope Montreal and Ottawa join the league soon, that would prop up attendance and interest back into Tdot.

brad
05-22-2009, 03:23 PM
I can't speak for the rest of BMO - but I've sat in the same seats in 111 every game since the first game and the people around me have morphed from hardcore TFC supporters, to people going on dates in Blue Jay caps taking pictures of section 112. And this is 111, who knows what it's like on the west side... We used to be able to do whatever we want at BMO and now we walk a tight rope in order to accomodate MLSE and BMO policy. We cannot throw streamers - whether on not you want to is different - but now we can't. We have to sit or stand based on what section we have tickets in and I'm sure there's plenty more, flags rules, rules, rules, rules!!!! - we're all simply good clients of the MLSE now. We've forgotten how much leverage we have...no offence but if supporters had a common strong voice - Paul or whomever would have to listen...if he didn't he'd be out of the best job he ever had. It's just my opinion....take it for what you'd like

TFC needed and still needs the atmosphere the supporters create to establish the brand. Once that brand is established, the supporters will get priced out, and BMO will resemble the ACC.

flatpicker
05-22-2009, 03:25 PM
^ I just don't think you will see TFC near the same kind of price and demand level as the Leafs.

So, being completely priced out of the supporters section is unlikely.

brad
05-22-2009, 03:28 PM
^ I just don't think you will see TFC near the same kind of price and demand level as the Leafs.

Not now, not in the next 5 years. If this team and this league is still around 20 - 30 years though, I think it will be a different story.

TorontoBlades
05-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Isn't there a cap on how much they can increase season prices annually?

menefreghista
05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Isn't there a cap on how much they can increase season prices annually?

I don't think there is.

But I do think TFC has reached (or is close to) reaching the maximum they can charge for the pricier, higher end seats.

Inswingingwingman
05-22-2009, 03:54 PM
A cap? That's nuts. It's a business not a socialist state. Maybe if they got Bob Rae a top front office job. But business works on demand. Why do you think the Jays had toonie tuesdays? No business. The problem is the fans can't see the game due to the fieldturf. And the fieldturf is used to filter the beer. If they planted grass the province is going to mandate that you can't use any weedkiller and we'd turn into the TDC. D for Dandelion.

flatpicker
05-22-2009, 04:09 PM
I demand more tickets!
Sadly, some of the people in the Ticket Trader are not checking their pm's enough!

Suds
05-22-2009, 04:41 PM

very true... I have noticed this

Between myself a couple of my friends we have 7 season seats which range in average price from $50 - $110. The odd games we have extras and it is hard to find anyone who wants to buy them even below face value. Last year we could sell them no problem at all.

Seems most people are only willing to spend as much a $30. Anything above that and the people looking to buy is minimal at best.

I know last week was the long weekend, but I had 2 extra ticket. $61 face value and I could not find anyone who wanted them for $30 .. so they went unused.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-22-2009, 06:42 PM

the honeymoon is over for the non regular soccer supporter, thats about it..and its no real loss as it will get real supporters into the stadium quicker..montreal and Vancouver games are bad examaples as the were late starters,weather was not the best. and the casual fan doesn't understand the tournament. you wont see a half empty stadium in the near future...the Dp issue ..we dont need one, what we need is more quality MLS players, striker and defender asap. People worry too much about empty seats, Man Utd have them, Celtic, rangers have them all clubs have them.so its not a big issue.

kodiakTFC
05-22-2009, 06:49 PM
A lot of people don't try to get tickets because they've heard its impossible. A few people have asked me how I've been able to go to so many games. What we really need is for scalpers to screw off after this year and put the tickets in the hands of actual fans. TFC has no issue with ticket sales, if they did they would advertise it during their games, something I have never seen.

EDIT: You'll see a massive surge of interest come next summer with the world cup.

redcard
05-22-2009, 06:50 PM
i think the downturn in the economy has more to do with people not picking up the more expensive seats...if you have fewer entertainment dollars to spend you will look for the cheaper tickets...once the economy picks up the demand will return...

as for the NCC matches even last season there wasnt alot of interest...must be due to the team playing usl teams...

Suds
05-22-2009, 06:59 PM
i think the downturn in the economy has more to do with people not picking up the more expensive seats...if you have fewer entertainment dollars to spend you will look for the cheaper tickets...once the economy picks up the demand will return...

as for the NCC matches even last season there wasnt alot of interest...must be due to the team playing usl teams...

economy plays a role for sure

I also wonder how much the weather plays a factor. I noticed not as many tickets are floating around this weekend. I've received calls from some casual fans I know for the first time looking to get tickets for this weekend. First nice day we've yet to have.

Waggy
05-22-2009, 07:03 PM
I'd say weather and perceived success play a big part of things. We may know the value of a 3-3 road draw against Washington. but people who casually follow the team just look and see 3 wins, and keep reading stories about the lack of goals. They don't need to be getting points, but actually WINNING before general public will come. They came at first for novelty, it wore off, now all the sudden theres the still 1st place Jays (who I'm SURE will see an attendance drop after that sweep) to compete with, plus the rain. PLus the perceived difficulty to get tickets. Wait till july/august, people will be there. This city loves a winner. But if having 500 seats sold but not filled is our biggest problem... I mean thats pretty fucking good. Even the Leafs have empty seats.

prizby
05-22-2009, 08:40 PM
sorry but with 15,000 fans on the waiting list for seats, what is stopping TFC/BMO from sending messages to those fans offering single game tickets at face value

i think the reason games aren't sold out is due to poor running of the business

tfcmate
05-22-2009, 09:04 PM
I think seats are empty because when people like me check the ticket master site to buy tickets they are all sold out. Scalpers have them all. When they became available at the season start, all tickets sold out from ticket master in 2 minutes.

It pains me to see empty seats and I have to find new friends and favours to get tickets. But the masses just want to log into ticketmaster and buy up some tickets. If there is none available they typically give up.

Scalpers losing their shirts is needed to fix the problem.

phonzo
05-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I think seats are empty because when people like me check the ticket master site to buy tickets they are all sold out. Scalpers have them all. When they became available at the season start, all tickets sold out from ticket master in 2 minutes.

It pains me to see empty seats and I have to find new friends and favours to get tickets. But the masses just want to log into ticketmaster and buy up some tickets. If there is none available they typically give up.

Scalpers losing their shirts is needed to fix the problem.

Favours eh...

suggested approach: grab a partial pack or such..internal ticket exchange this year has almost always had seats available.
or
Use RPB ticket trader..

and then /enjoy:scarf:

nfitz
05-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Demand for the New England game doesn't seem low. There's a couple of pairs on Ticket Exchange in the supporters - but then only 3 seats in light grey, and 3 seats in medium grey ... though plenty in dark grey. Seems similiar to last year for the cheaper tickets.

Perhaps the issue has been more the glut of games, and constant rainy forecasts. Now that summer is here, attendance should pick up

redcard
05-22-2009, 11:01 PM
5 home games left during the warmer months of june, july and august...as of tomorrow we have already played 8 home games...so yeah the demand for the remaining games may be high, that should be an indication of weather playing a role in ticket demand...

i guess the average fan didnt realize the most of our home matches this season were going to be played during the cooler months of march, april and may!

cmonyoureds
05-22-2009, 11:35 PM

Tickets are reasonable price when you don't add a hockey team and double it for a package deal...... I know a few who won't be renewing next year should they be "forced" to pony up for the Marlies again. It seems it'd be just as easy to buy 6 games individually for half the price, and the ones you want, not the ones you're given.

cmonyoureds
05-22-2009, 11:37 PM
sorry but with 15,000 fans on the waiting list for seats, what is stopping TFC/BMO from sending messages to those fans offering single game tickets at face value

They got pretty far down that list to get rid of the partials this year, let alone next. My friend moved here this spring and put his name on the list. Got a call not long after asking if he'd take two tix.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-23-2009, 12:59 AM

For the most part I think TFC is well run, but I do agree that the club needs to do a better job of marketing its single-game tickets. A lot of friends of mine just assume that all TFC tickets are sold out, so they don't try to buy any. If my friends knew that TFC tickets were available at face value, they'd buy them in a heart beat.

Pookie
05-23-2009, 06:37 AM
A cap? That's nuts. It's a business not a socialist state.

But this business operates in a "single entity ownership." Costs are completely controlled by the league. Revenues are shared. Contracts are held with the league, not the individual teams.

While ticket prices and marketing initiatives are left to the club, it operates as sort of a board by looking after the best interests of the league.

MLSE has high ticket prices for some of its brands. I share the concern that they might raise them here with high demand. The one difference though is that in the NHL, high ticket prices are driven league wide by a very high cost structure.

MLS revenue depends heavily on gate receipts. Not to mention that the gate receipts are shared with the city, who actually own the stadium. MLSE "manages" it but that also provides another "check and balance" for those that fear run away greed.

re: decrease in demand

Certain facts make it hard to accept individual stories of not being able to sell tickets.

The waiting list is not shrinking.
Season Ticket renewal rate was 98%
More than half of the Gold listers did not move into Seasons
When tickets were offered for public sale, it sold out within minutes

All of that occurred just weeks ago.

If you are making your judgement based on "empty seats" on TV, consider that the weather has been crap. Watch Yankee stadium or Fenway Park after a rain delay. Less than half the paid crowd stays.

LALAproductions
05-23-2009, 06:46 AM
koryo
05-23-2009, 09:44 AM
...and if they ever build that downtown relief line, which seems to be gathering steam as an idea, then BMO will be on a subway line.

Is that the plan that was proposed in 1985, to be completed by 2000? Saw the maps, would be fantastic if they could pull it off.

rocker
05-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Is that the plan that was proposed in 1985, to be completed by 2000? Saw the maps, would be fantastic if they could pull it off.

ya, it's pretty sweet. starts up at Pape and Danforth, goes down southwest to Distillery, across Front (Skydome, Spadina), has a stop at the Ex, then goes up toward High Park.

the way the overcrowding is increasing on the old lines, they'll probably have to do this in 10 years.

anyhow, rather than move BMO for the northerners, the solution is just better transit for getting around the city, including getting to BMO. I believe the new transit city initiatives have received funding for 3 new lines. already the transit east-west to BMO is great (Go train)... I'm interested in rumours that the Go Train will go to 30 minute service after they build the third rail, which is going on right now.

koryo
05-23-2009, 09:56 AM
I've seen the plans for those lines and it does look sweet. But given the cost of building a subway vs. dedicated street cars lines (ie: Transit City) I won't be surprised if they don't come to pass.

Can't understand why BMO would be anywhere else in the city. Okay, so it's inconvenient for Vaughan & Brampton as opposed to being inconvenient for Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, Ajax, Whitby, the 'Shwa...

iansmcl
05-23-2009, 10:25 AM
BMO is awesome to get to. I've come from: northern North York, eastern Scarborough and Vaughan and have never had any troubles getting there (just by transportation, my own punctuality makes me late every now and then). I've travelled from all three by bus and car; and never really had problems.

I don't understand the "it's hard to get from Vaughan" people. Park at Downsview take the bus. Take the 400/401/427/Gardiner, take the 404/DVP/Gardiner. Otherwise, go watch the Shooters.

Rhapido
05-23-2009, 10:50 AM
BMO is awesome to get to. I've come from: northern North York, eastern Scarborough and Vaughan and have never had any troubles getting there (just by transportation, my own punctuality makes me late every now and then). I've travelled from all three by bus and car; and never really had problems.

I don't understand the "it's hard to get from Vaughan" people. Park at Downsview take the bus. Take the 400/401/427/Gardiner, take the 404/DVP/Gardiner. Otherwise, go watch the Shooters.

I've been coming in from Vaughan since Day 1. For weekend matches, it takes me 25 mins by way of 400/401/427/Gardiner. You will never hear any complaints from me.

nfitz
05-23-2009, 11:07 AM
They got pretty far down that list to get rid of the partials this year, let alone next. My friend moved here this spring and put his name on the list. Got a call not long after asking if he'd take two tix.They got through the entire Red list, put them up for general sale, and then started phoning people!

iansmcl
05-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I've been coming in from Vaughan since Day 1. For weekend matches, it takes me 25 mins by way of 400/401/427/Gardiner. You will never hear any complaints from me.

Me and my fiance may have passed you (or vice versa!) a few times then! It's such a quick drive, like you said, I'll never understand the complaints.

Kaz
05-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Get yourself on any subway, walk through union, get on a street car, or buy the $2.00 go ticket to the ex go stop.

Or make the 40 minute walk on a nice day and take the streetcar back. (which is what I did for the Columbus game last month)

Toronto is insanely easy to get around in, And BMO has at least three mass transit options. (2 street car routes and a GO)

nfitz
05-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Toronto is insanely easy to get around in, And BMO has at least three mass transit options. (2 street car routes and a GO)And the Dufferin and Ossington buses. And an expressway going right past. I can't imagine a worse excuse!

kodiakTFC
05-23-2009, 01:40 PM
I love BMO's location. Easy to drive to to and the GO train is right there.

Cashcleaner
05-23-2009, 02:44 PM
I can't believe we're even talking about the location of BMO Field as anything less than perfect. I don't see how we could have improved upon the scenario of having the stadium a 2 minute walk from a GO transit train station. BMO Field is exactly where it needs to be.

Marc"2L"
05-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Recession, Play, Weather, Lack of Marketing that you can go to a game without your cool soccer friend/dad/business getting you the tickets. Take your pick.

I'm in Ottawa all summer. Once I'm finished up here I'll hopefully relocate to Toronto... right around the time my name pops up on the red waiting list.

GBV
05-23-2009, 10:11 PM
yeah, team marketing is shoddy ...

AdamZ
05-24-2009, 01:15 AM
Yikes, you would think this thread was about that sorry Calgary soccer team that was around a few years ago and drew 500 people in McMahon stadium based on some of the replies.

Average attendance at BMO Field last year was 20,108, average attendance so far this year has been 20,118.

Even with some of Europe's biggest clubs games don't sell out and often there are PLENTY of free seats (and you bet your ass there are a lot of fans who don't show up when it's cold and wet in England if the stadium is open-air and not sheltered in most areas, the fact that there's a football team in CANADA which let's face facts was pretty shit the past two years and is still such a big draw is nothing to be even remotely down about.

TFC is doing great. We'll be doing great in two years as well, if we're not I'll eat my hat.

Shep
05-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Not to mention Africa 2010. World cups have a way of renewing people's love for the game, and this time around TFC should be better set to hold that interest than they were in 2006. Of course there was the youth world cup, and that happening here was something special.. but there's nothing like the biggest competition in the galaxy when it comes to stoking the fires of football passion.

I'm drunk. :drinking:

edit... but then again we may lose some valuable players to international duties.. so maybe the wc isn't all hot for TFC.. I don't know.

AdamZ
05-24-2009, 01:41 AM
nah, people will want to see live footie after the World Cup. I've always felt a strange emptiness right after the final whistle of the world cup, cursing the fact that I had to wait a couple months for the European seasons to start. With TFC games to go to presumably during and after the WC attendance will be strong.

Blizzard
05-24-2009, 01:43 AM
I don't think there is.

But I do think TFC has reached (or is close to) reaching the maximum they can charge for the pricier, higher end seats.

It has to be approved by the league.

Kaz
05-24-2009, 11:21 AM
The number one thing they can do is not open up all the home games for purchase on the same day. The tickets are all gone, and I have no idea what my schedule is like in March for September.

I do want to say though, that when I was in Toronto last month, (and will be relocating permanently as soon as) not a game day went by without me seeing at least one TFC Jersey, Scarf, Jacket or Hat. It's good to see, and if the supports can keep their bitching to forums and stop arguing with stewards publicly in the stands, that will help to keep this going. It makes Fans look like asses, rather then the Organization.

nfitz
05-24-2009, 11:26 AM
... the supports can keep their bitching to forums and stop arguing with stewards publicly in the stands, that will help to keep this going. It makes Fans look like asses, rather then the Organization.Any arguing I've seen in the stands has been started by the stewarts. Yesterday I watched them come and chase away a 9-year old girl who was standing behind one of the staircases waving a flag - making no more of a nuisance of themselves than the guy who stands there for half-the-game selling beer.