PDA

View Full Version : Sutton- how do you rate his play so far?

trane
05-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I was very happy when we signed him last year. I had rated him very highly. Unfortunately we did not have a chance to see much of him last year. This year , I found myself agreeing with Shepp Messing or whatever his name is, in that in some ways it is still unclear if he is a top goaltender.

I know that he has made some excellent saves, but he has also made some seemingly basic mistakes, the DC game was the last example. I think that I was speaking to Rooney, and I had to agree with him that on the penalty on which NYRB scored it seems he could have done better. So I am asking your opinion. I am just confused about him, on one hand the game saving saves, and on the other the rebound that costs us points. Also the fact that Carver did not start him in the first game seems to indicate that he is not the clear number one. On the other hand I do not think we would have had clean sheets without him. Are we overrating him, or will he prove his worth during the season?

Again I stil think he is our goaltender for now and the future, but I just wanted to see you views on this.

TFC_Toon
05-29-2008, 07:25 PM
I think Sutton is first choice for sure, I had my doubts last year and then the injury early on so we did not see much of him. This year he is in total command of his box and looks the part. He looked to be a bit shaky vs D.C. but you know, I think we can overlook that and for him to have a strong outing at home vs L.A.

Or not, just read another thread indicating he is on International duty, still first choice for me and look forward to him being between the sticks soon. Bloody MLS, why do they not recognize International fixtures and schedule accordingly?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-29-2008, 07:27 PM
I think hes tops and we will see that by the end of the year.
Definitely top 5.

el rojo fanatico
05-29-2008, 08:31 PM
He sure is racking up the clean sheets this term

SLBuu
05-29-2008, 08:32 PM
9/10

i think he's been great so far this season. the only hiccup would be the last game against DC.

Keyman
05-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Greg Sutton has been nothing short of fantastic this year, it's night and day when compared to last season. I know he had a very questionable backline last season, which had a lot to do with his poor play at points, however he is a much more conifdent keeper this season. He comes off his line much better, especially on crosses. He also has better positioning this season, and his reflexes are top notch.

He is one of our teams most valuable players.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Sutton first.

colman1860
05-29-2008, 09:32 PM
I wrote this after the DC game.

I know we were under huge pressure all game, but mostly DC just missed chances by missing the net or shooting weekly directly at Sutton. I was one of the few who were very confident in Greg before the season and I absolutely love his play so far this year, but I wasnt so impressed tonight. DC's big chance in the first half was a shot right at him for which he let out a big rebound. On their first goal he began to come out on the cross, then hesitated, and was out of position as the ball came through the 6 yard box to perralta. Yes, Dichio loses the original header and somebody was asleep and wasnt following Perralta, but one could definitely ask for better positioning from Greg. Second goal isn't his fault as it's a penalty. (EDIT: I didnt see the penalty, is it true that he could have done better??) Third was a stinker. Also, rebound control was shaky throughout the night (thinking of DC's goal that was called back on offside, as well as two chances in the first half where shots were right at him but he didnt try to catch them). No real point to that long speel - I love the big man and would never even think about suggesting that Edwards should play instead of him, as he's played an outstanding season so far. I just dont really agree with those that say he was the only one who kept us in it tonight (along with Dichio).

Also, I think he is at fault for New York's goal. While it was a well struck ball, it was a freekick at the keeper's corner. Reminded me of Edwards in Columbus or Fabregas' goal in Milan vs Kalac. Not hugely embarassing blunders, but a good keeper should stop those shots.

profit89
05-29-2008, 09:51 PM
8/10. first choice for sure at the moment.

Cashcleaner
05-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Sutton is certainly doing better than I thought he would. As long as the D stays solid we should be very comfortable with him calling shots from net.

trane
05-29-2008, 10:08 PM
I wrote this after the DC game.

I know we were under huge pressure all game, but mostly DC just missed chances by missing the net or shooting weekly directly at Sutton. I was one of the few who were very confident in Greg before the season and I absolutely love his play so far this year, but I wasnt so impressed tonight. DC's big chance in the first half was a shot right at him for which he let out a big rebound. On their first goal he began to come out on the cross, then hesitated, and was out of position as the ball came through the 6 yard box to perralta. Yes, Dichio loses the original header and somebody was asleep and wasnt following Perralta, but one could definitely ask for better positioning from Greg. Second goal isn't his fault as it's a penalty. (EDIT: I didnt see the penalty, is it true that he could have done better??) Third was a stinker. Also, rebound control was shaky throughout the night (thinking of DC's goal that was called back on offside, as well as two chances in the first half where shots were right at him but he didnt try to catch them). No real point to that long speel - I love the big man and would never even think about suggesting that Edwards should play instead of him, as he's played an outstanding season so far. I just dont really agree with those that say he was the only one who kept us in it tonight (along with Dichio).

Also, I think he is at fault for New York's goal. While it was a well struck ball, it was a freekick at the keeper's corner. Reminded me of Edwards in Columbus or Fabregas' goal in Milan vs Kalac. Not hugely embarassing blunders, but a good keeper should stop those shots.

You identfed exactly the same issues that I saw, for the most part I think that he has been fantastic, but those goals you have identified, are goals which I was suprised a goalkeeper of his quality would give up. Hence my question. [ The Milan goal is one which is great example- hurtfull for me but right on the money- not a terrible goal to give up, but clearly one were the keeper sould have done better]

Fergy
05-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Just need to either catch the ball or punch/palm into touch - dc and galaxy games goals were scored by palming saves into the feet of a striker - all in all great season so far - if he works on that will be best keeper in MLS

jloome
05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Forrest noted this in the last sportsnet broadcast, pointed out that Sutton needs to work on not coughing up close rebounds as frequently.

I'm sure they've identified it and are working on it.

james
05-30-2008, 12:14 AM
i think hes currently one of the best in MLS. Its really hard to rate a goalie on Penalty kicks. Even the best goalies in the world only maybe stop 1 or 2 out of 5 penalty kicks, and often they guess the complete wrong way.

As for the ocasion coughing up rebound, that the only thing that is stopping him from being the best in MLS. IF he works on that he can really step up his game.

Mikey
05-30-2008, 05:21 AM
Greg Sutton has been nothing short of fantastic this year, it's night and day when compared to last season. I know he had a very questionable backline last season, which had a lot to do with his poor play at points, however he is a much more conifdent keeper this season. He comes off his line much better, especially on crosses. He also has better positioning this season, and his reflexes are top notch.

He is one of our teams most valuable players.

QFT...!

Cashcleaner
05-30-2008, 06:34 AM
If we were polling for the 2008 Supporters Choice Award as of today, how many would throw in a ballot for Greg Sutton?

I'm interested to know because personally I would definitely consider him a front-runner at the moment.

bhoybobby
05-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Sutton is our MVP to date, all doubting Thomases can fuck off

bhoybobby
05-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Forrest noted this in the last sportsnet broadcast, pointed out that Sutton needs to work on not coughing up close rebounds as frequently.

I'm sure they've identified it and are working on it.

Forrest should work on breaking correct stories. IMO the balls Sutton parries have been hit with real pace & movement.

Sutton has been an absolute standout for us. One of the best in the league

MrHawk
05-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Sutton has been great for us this year. Without him, I don't believe our record would be as good as it currently is.

Now comes the real test for the games that we don't have him, to test how good our depth really is.

trane
05-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Forrest should work on breaking correct stories. IMO the balls Sutton parries have been hit with real pace & movement.

Sutton has been an absolute standout for us. One of the best in the league

But that is the point, he has been trying to catch such shots, when he would probably been better of punching them, so not to risk that the ball fall at the foot of an attacker. I agree tht he has been great but this one aspect of the game will hopefully improve. No player is perfect.