PDA

View Full Version : DeRo sits out practice

LucaGol
04-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Didn't see a thread about this ...

As reported on the fan590.

DeRo sat out practice due to soreness in hamstring ...

... serious, not serious ... does anyone know any other pertinent information?

Roogsy
04-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Yes

*Roogsy shoots himself in the head*

That is all.

Pigfynn
04-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Carver has said that it's not pulled, only tight

grimm
04-14-2009, 05:41 PM
*hiccup* kill me *hiccup* kill me *hiccup* kill me

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Damn turf

Redcoe15
04-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Yes

*Roogsy shoots himself in the head*

That is all.
Save a bullet for me, willya? :cryin:

Northern Soul
04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
When he was subbed off last match, you could see him holding his hammy on the sidelines. Probably precautionary.

Nuvinho
04-14-2009, 05:51 PM
He sat out the past 2 days for precautionary reasons.

Inklink
04-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah I remember him limping just a little holding the back of his thigh after last game.

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Damn turf

And so the season begins.

How many seasons are we going to watch, healthy, skilled players disappear from our meager lineup for whole swathes of the season?

How many times are people going to tell me that FT is statistically safer than grass?

jloome
04-14-2009, 06:11 PM
And so the season begins.

How many seasons are we going to watch, healthy, skilled players disappear from our meager lineup for whole swathes of the season?

How many times are people going to tell me that FT is statistically safer than grass?

Exiled, while I agree with you on most everything, stats are stats. It's been studied repeatedly (and you can look it up yourself, it's googleable) and there is no injury difference on turf.

Now, it's arguable studying turf can be biased by whether it accounts for relaying the turf regularly, which TFC hasn't done. But reality is reality. More people aren't injured on turf. Hell, Chelsea practices on field turf regularly. Teams in the Russian league, which is a hell of a lot better than MLS, play on it.

The problem is the perception isn't going away, and it hurts us on signings. As for injuries, look how many fewer we've had this year than the rest of the league, then tell me there isn't a difference in having Winsper.

jabbronies
04-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Where is Giambac on this one?? Say the line...say the line

ensco
04-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Exiled, while I agree with you on most everything, stats are stats. It's been studied repeatedly (and you can look it up yourself, it's googleable) and there is no injury difference on turf.

Now, it's arguable studying turf can be biased by whether it accounts for relaying the turf regularly, which TFC hasn't done. But reality is reality. More people aren't injured on turf. Hell, Chelsea practices on field turf regularly. Teams in the Russian league, which is a hell of a lot better than MLS, play on it.

The problem is the perception isn't going away, and it hurts us on signings. As for injuries, look how many fewer we've had this year than the rest of the league, then tell me there isn't a difference in having Winsper.

Winsper? You mean the fitness coach of the team that, last year, after 80 minutes, allowed 10 more goals against than it scored?

Sorry jloome, but I've looked at all that injury data (it all got posted here about a year ago) and it's nowhere near as compelling as you say. The basic problem is that very few teams play on the plastic, which means the sample size is very low.

You're also wrong to say that the basic problem with turf is perception as it relates to signings. That's an effect, not a cause.

The basic problem is that soccer played on fieldturf is a facsimile of soccer. It's bush league in every way.

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 10:06 PM

Statistics ARE statistics and that's all they are! they can be skewed one way or the other, and as Ensco says, 99% of games are played on grass and none of the remaining 1% are played at the highest levels.

So how are we making a comparison here?

Teams that train on fieldturf, are aware of it's problems and dont do things on it that they would do on matchday. They wouldnt on grass either by the way, because they dont want to needlessly injure themselves or a teammate.

They never play with the intensity of a competetive 90 minute match while training on FT, and they'd probably be told off by the coach if they did.

More important than the statistics are the players reviews...... seen any good ones lately?

Yohan
04-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Winsper? You mean the fitness coach of the team that, last year, after 80 minutes, allowed 10 more goals against than it scored?

you're blaming the last min fuck ups on a fitness coach?

brad
04-14-2009, 10:50 PM

You can blame it on the fitness coach when the players look out of steam at the end of the game. That was often the case in the first year, but not last year.

We conceded late goals last year because the opposition will press harder at the end of the match when they need a goal, and we were unable to cope with that pressure.

James Oliphant
04-14-2009, 11:41 PM
When he was subbed off last match, you could see him holding his hammy on the sidelines. Probably precautionary.

Yeah...I saw that too. Once near the middle of the pitch, once just after he crossed into touch.

ensco
04-15-2009, 05:23 AM

No. I'm just saying the free passes around here should be over.

This idea that has been endlessly retailed, that Winsper is some sort of amazing asset of the team, needs to find its way into the results, don't you think?

When has this team ever taken the game to the opponent in the last 10 minutes of a close match?

Never.

Mark in Ottawa
04-15-2009, 06:09 AM
Statistics ARE statistics and that's all they are! they can be skewed one way or the other
Ah yes... lies, damn lies and Statistics!

Mark in Ottawa
04-15-2009, 06:12 AM
No. I'm just saying the free passes around here should be over.

This idea that has been endlessly retailed, that Winsper is some sort of amazing asset of the team, needs to find its way into the results, don't you think?

And as lomg as you are into statistics...
the number of "man minutes" lost to injury would seem to have decreased since Winsper arrived on the scene.

He is dealing with the physical side of things not the mental aspects.
Late game "brain cramps" are his to study and fix?

Carts
04-15-2009, 06:31 AM

That's not exactly true...

I was at the Field Turf presentation last year during the All-Star week at BMO Field (put on by the field turf company). And while injury stats were basically identical, there was one big difference...

INJURIES AWAY FROM PLAY, the stats were much different...

The percentage of injuries, non-contact / away from the ball, on Field Turf was much higher than that of games on grass...

The presentation had officials from FIFA, doctors and surgeons, and it was Lee Godfrey who challenged them during the Q&A about the 'away from play / away from the ball' injury stats...

To be honest, that would be the mian problem. Guys will get hurt battling with an opponent anywhere - they could be playing on grass, turf, or concrete, but a higer percentage of injuries when guys are away from the play is a very concerning stat...

I had the entire presentation and stats etc on my old PC, and I e-mailed a copy to CoachGT (maybe you have it still?), and it was weird. The stats were almost exactly the same in every category, except that of injuries away from play / away from the ball...

Carts...

CoachGT
04-15-2009, 08:05 AM
I still have the presentation. Carts is right.

And I believe that the issue with late conceded goals has more to do with mental toughness than physical fitness. Decision making seemed to be a lot poorer late in games. Last Saturday, I noticed a couple of TFC players trying to get Carver's attention during the free kick that Dallas scored on, attention to try and get DeRo off the pitch. Carver raised his arms as if to say "who" but the attention was elsewhere, and the next thing you know the ball is in the back of the net.

jabbronies
04-15-2009, 10:25 AM
And I believe that the issue with late conceded goals has more to do with mental toughness than physical fitness. Decision making seemed to be a lot poorer late in games. Last Saturday, I noticed a couple of TFC players trying to get Carver's attention during the free kick that Dallas scored on, attention to try and get DeRo off the pitch. Carver raised his arms as if to say "who" but the attention was elsewhere, and the next thing you know the ball is in the back of the net.

IMO The players should have been talking to the captain/co captain and they should have relayed the message to the coach

It was more Mental breakdown for sure. You can see some of the stupid plays and positioning that was going on. Wether or not it was brought on by fitness is another issue

Technorgasm
04-15-2009, 10:30 AM
whoa.

hold on. .. it was just Practice.. . . not a game.. . not a game. . practice.

aka:

eGDBR2L5kzI