PDA

View Full Version : NOTE to Toronto FC TV Producers...

Carts
04-13-2009, 11:00 AM
I love the John Carver press conference after the matches...

Having the entire presser, unedited, candid, is a feature I look forward to after every match...

A question, could you plug in a boom mic to your camera to catch the reporters questions...???

JC's reactions are priceless, but sometimes it takes a while to figure out who or what he is talking about...

A 2nd audio channel with the room mic'd would be nice to hear the reporter questions...

Just a thought...

Otherwise, keep up the great work...
Carts...

Parkdale
04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
wait..... you can split audio tracks these days?

bee dubya
04-13-2009, 11:06 AM
^ only in post. ;)

I agree with Carts. Can the folks at TFC set up a mic for all reporters to use for their questions? It would be nice to hear.

Pigfynn
04-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Yes! I have meant to mention this. You can't hear the questions asked and it would be nice if that was fixed.

sully
04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
A question, could you plug in a boom mic to your camera to catch the reporters questions...???

Carts...

I agree with you..and I asked for that last year but I got no response then...

FluSH
04-13-2009, 12:42 PM
great recommendation!

Toronto_Bhoy
04-13-2009, 01:43 PM
This is a huge pet peeve of mine in all media.

It's not like these are media scrums in the dressing room or the training pitch! Its a designated press conference!!!

Even after the fact, you could use closed captioning.

TicTacTabarnack
04-13-2009, 01:44 PM
I'll +1 this reco

Arnie Knows
04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
This will Never happen , great idea but it will not happen ..

sully
04-13-2009, 02:09 PM

In that case I think it would be better if they re-formatted the show so that only Carver gives his thoughts on the match...what's the point in having a press conference where you don't know who's asking the question and you don't know what the question is...it looks amateurish to me as it is now..

jabbronies
04-13-2009, 02:13 PM

Why won't it happen?

Jeffro
04-13-2009, 02:23 PM
In that case I think it would be better if they re-formatted the show so that only Carver gives his thoughts on the match...what's the point in having a show where you don't know who's asking the question and you don't know what the question is...it looks amateurish to me as it is now..

But the point of a press conference is for the press to ask questions, it's not specifically for the viewer at home, it's for the media to get quotes and tidbits for their articles and sports highlight packages.
I do agree that it would be nice to hear the questions, but at this point I think we're lucky we get to see the whole press conference.

Hitcho
04-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Same point goes for the weekly media scrums from inside BMO Field etc.

sully
04-13-2009, 02:29 PM
But the point of a press conference is for the press to ask questions, it's not specifically for the viewer at home, it's for the media to get quotes and tidbits for their articles and sports highlight packages.
I do agree that it would be nice to hear the questions, but at this point I think we're lucky we get to see the whole press conference.

yeah I see you point...but it is also for viewers at home though, as that is how it's used also.. maybe Carver could reiterate a summary of the question before answering it...that's unlikely I guess though...anyway, I won't lose sleep over it..

Pigfynn
04-13-2009, 02:35 PM
What!??!

Sorry but it's NOT hard to put another mic in the room to pick up what the reporters are saying it would require:

1) a mic
2) a cord
3) a person to plug it in

Dave67
04-13-2009, 02:57 PM
What!??!

Sorry but it's NOT hard to put another mic in the room to pick up what the reporters are saying it would require:

1) a mic
2) a cord
3) a person to plug it in

Which at a unionized BMO will run you about 4 - 5 hundred. Too much to pay when you figure most reporters don't want their questions recorded (i.e. they will do their best to talk away from the mic and be undetected).

Parkdale
04-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Which at a unionized BMO will run you about 4 - 5 hundred.

hmmmm..... I wonder if there's a 'FlareWorkers Local' we can contact?

:cool:

Chewy Unikronik
04-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Why won't it happen?
Because, Arnie Knows!!! :p

Arnie Knows
04-13-2009, 03:06 PM
It won't happen because TFC likes to control all the info coming out ..
You get what they say u get and you will like it ..

Parkdale
04-13-2009, 03:08 PM

have you ever seen Carer go off on a rant? He'll say whatever he likes,
and I don't think there's anyone in TFC FO who would dare try to stop him.
He's had outbursts before that should have been censored, but they weren't.

seems like you've been consistently pulling things out of thin air

Arnie Knows
04-13-2009, 03:22 PM
have you ever seen Carer go off on a rant? He'll say whatever he likes,
and I don't think there's anyone in TFC FO who would dare try to stop him.
He's had outbursts before that should have been censored, but they weren't.

seems like you've been consistently pulling things out of thin air

Why are you attacking me .. I feel they won"t put the whole PC on the air with questions included ..
I find it amusing that you have sold out to the man

Don Julio
04-13-2009, 03:27 PM
This is the case with all press conferences in all sports and drives me nuts. Unless you're listening to it on the station that asked a specific question you have no idea what's asked. I'm not sure why, but I imagine it's intentional among the reporters trying to get any edge over their competitors.

Some coaches do a better job of others at including the question in their response.

Parkdale
04-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Why are you attacking me .. I feel they won"t put the whole PC on the air with questions included ..

I'm only pointing out that you have some serious Know it all tendencies
(but it's not like you're the only one around here with them) but sometimes
the things you propose just don't make sense. If TFC FO wants to rule these
press conferences with an iron fist, then why let reporters ask questions
at all? Obviously if TFC cared about controlling all the info that came out....
the whole situation with Columbus and thre local print media would have
been handled totally different.

I'm not attacking you, I'm just pointing out that you have some logic gaps in your arguments.

Hustle
04-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Get them reporters mic'd....that has always pissed me off about the press conferences. Get them to subtitle the questions at the bottom of the screen if they don;t want to mic it.

Arnie, why would they censor the questions, only to let us hear the answers?

James Oliphant
04-13-2009, 03:32 PM

I find it amusing that you think there's a man to sell out to in this situation.

Dave67
04-13-2009, 03:35 PM
This is the case with all press conferences in all sports and drives me nuts. Unless you're listening to it on the station that asked a specific question you have no idea what's asked. I'm not sure why, but I imagine it's intentional among the reporters trying to get any edge over their competitors.

Some coaches do a better job of others at including the question in their response.

I think that is a key second part of the reality. If you were working for The Star and asking a question the last thing you care about is the guy from The Score recording your question. Carver may be required to speak into a mic so everyone gets the answer but the reporters are not going to go out of their way to make sure their questions are recorded.

Arnie Knows
04-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I find it amusing that you think there's a man to sell out to in this situation.

You are not getting it one bit are U ..
You need to understand the dynamics of this situation in order to comprehend it .. You don"t

FluSH
04-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Why won't it happen?

because Arnie Knows...

FluSH
04-13-2009, 03:42 PM
You need to understand the dynamics of this situation in order to comprehend it .. You don"t

ooooh man usually I'll be all over James O... but this deserves a :yellow:

FluSH
04-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Is there a specific name behind this? Does it start with the letter M?

James Oliphant
04-13-2009, 03:49 PM

How many press conferences have you attended? Because I can almost guarantee it's far less than me.

James Oliphant
04-13-2009, 03:50 PM
ooooh man usually I'll be all over James O... but this deserves a :yellow:

He clearly doesn't understand the dynamics of the JO. ;)

Arnie Knows
04-13-2009, 03:59 PM
He clearly doesn't understand the dynamics of the JO. ;)

What paper do you work for ????

James Oliphant
04-13-2009, 04:00 PM
What paper do you work for ????

None. I work in television.

FluSH
04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Are the gloves coming off?

Arnie are you an insider?

Arnie Knows
04-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Are the gloves coming off?

Arnie are you an insider?

Lets just say this. I know more about TFC then soe guy from "television "

does ..

I have been to press conferences before

Daveisonfire
04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
I think the only issue here is getting a mic to hear what the reporters are saying...not sure what the whole arguement is for lol

Hustle
04-13-2009, 04:11 PM
I think the only issue here is getting a mic to hear what the reporters are saying...not sure what the whole arguement is for lol

......its because Arnie knows...;)

James Oliphant
04-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Lets just say this. I know more about TFC then soe guy from "television "

does ..

I have been to press conferences before

Oh, so you want something more specific from me, despite the fact that you're not willing to disclose anything yourself?

Okay.

I spent the last 5 years working for Global Television in Don Mills until I was laid-off in February. I've been a freelancer for various production companies in Ontario for over a decade, and have attended press conferences everywhere from UWO's TD Waterhouse Stadium to SkyDome to the Air Canada Centre to Hershey Centre Mississauga to the Toronto International Film Festival to BMO Field. I've had access to literally thousands of press conferences since becoming "soe guy from 'television'" in 1996. And I can assure you, they're all run exactly the same way.

Arnie Knows
04-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Oh, so you want something more specific from me, despite the fact that you're not willing to disclose anything yourself?

Okay.

I spent the last 5 years working for Global Television in Don Mills until I was laid-off in February. I've been a freelancer for various production companies in Ontario for over a decade, and have attended press conferences everywhere from UWO's TD Waterhouse Stadium to SkyDome to the Air Canada Centre to Hershey Centre Mississauga to the Toronto International Film Festival to BMO Field. I've had access to literally thousands of press conferences since becoming "soe guy from 'television'" in 1996. And I can assure you, they're all run exactly the same way.

I apoligize .. I thought you were busllshitting .. And No i haven't been to a TFC presser but I have watched on TFCtv and understand what goes on there . I am very perceptive and can figure shit out when I need to..

You have a good resume , sorry that you were laid off in Feb . sincerly .. TV is suffering the $$ crisis as well ..

James Oliphant
04-13-2009, 04:22 PM
On the one hand, I sincerely appreciate the sympathy.

On the other... http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k97/derPixie/Smiley/facepalm.gif

Carts
04-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I'll put my two cents in - as I really didn't think a simple thought of having a boom mic or ambient omi-directional mic plugged and tracked so we could hear the questions would start a huge debate...

I have worked in the sports media for 13 years now with Canada's leading sports TV network (TSN), and done work for our parent company (the worldwide leader in sports ESPN) several times a year...

I have attended several hundred media conferences, several hundred scrums, a bunch of hotel availabilities, some great post game chases etc. Those were at events such as NHL Stanley Cup Finals, NHL Reg season, NBA reg season, MLS reg season and MLS all-star game, NFL games & playoffs, plus court cases involving sports figures, labour disputes etc etc etc...

After watching what Toronto FC TV uploads online, they are not trying to "control" what goes out...

Nor have I ever heard of a reporter trying get the upperhand or be ahead of his/her competition by whispering a question during a media conference... In those cases, one-on-one interviews take place off to the side, generally to the print media - we call them "scribblers" - as they're getting more of the story as they have a relationship with the player/coach/exec and the quotes aren't recorded, they're scribbled down - as the player/coach doesnt want the quote to come back to them - they'd just be listed as "sources close to the team"...

So to sum it up - I think I am qualified to say that not only is getting a boom or room mic to grab the questions technically doable, but wouldn't cross any "control what goes out" problems or thoughts...

I posted this in the hope that the TFC TV producer would see it, and say "...yeah, why don't we track the camera mic and give our viewers the questions..." That was all... I would have e-mailed them directly, but I haven't seen a contacts list on the page (to be honest, I didnt really look that hard - I guess I should have)...

Carts...

James Oliphant
04-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Agreed, Carts...in full.

Dave67
04-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Gotta disagree with you Carts.. I guess half of us on this board work in Canadian TV (God bless tax credits). A boom mic at BMO needs an operator. Unionized operator at that. No way the cash will be put out to hire someone to operate a boom mic for a TFC media scrum.

Note: I do not work in televised sports. My regular mixer does, he did the All Star game from BMO and several live games from BMO. He had a good laugh at the idea of reporters speaking into mics at a BMO post game scrum.

James Oliphant
04-13-2009, 10:06 PM
skint - They already have someone to shoot the pressers for them on an ENG camera. There's no reason that person can't have an omni on the front of his camera to at least pick up at least some of the reporters' questions.

Dave67
04-13-2009, 10:11 PM
James - I can only offer his opinions to you. He does TFC, Leafs and Raptor games. His opinion is "Reporters will do everything to make sure they are not on the rooms mics" I'll have to hit him up with your points in the morning. Is your user name your actual name? Maybe he has worked with you?

James Oliphant
04-13-2009, 10:29 PM
James - I can only offer his opinions to you. He does TFC, Leafs and Raptor games. His opinion is "Reporters will do everything to make sure they are not on the rooms mics" I'll have to hit him up with your points in the morning. Is your user name your actual name? Maybe he has worked with you?

It's entirely possible. I haven't done much in the way of live sports since I started working at Global, but yeah...that's my real name you see here on the boards.

It's certainly a small enough industry. ;)

EDIT: A lot of people in the industry know me as Jamey. I always found James to be a bit formal, but that's my given name, so....