PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday, Apr.13

denime
04-13-2009, 06:30 AM
TFC gets quick shot at rematch
PAUL ATTFIELD
As the first thing to catch the players' eyes on their return to the dressing room it was a cruel reminder. There, illuminated on the far wall, was a computer projection of how the team is supposed to defend corners on a virtual pitch.
Minutes before, out on the real thing, Toronto FC had failed to deal with the visitors' late set piece, allowing FC Dallas captain Pablo Ricchetti to nonchalantly back-heel the ball past a stunned Stefan Frei and into the net.

Read More (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090413.TFC13ART2258/TPStory/Sports)

Serioux threat
Ryan Johnston

Rory Delap made it vogue again at Stoke City (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1056314/The-Throwback-Meet-Rory-Delap-footballs-latest-human-launch-pad.html) and now Toronto FC has its own missile man in Adrian Serioux.
Human slingshot, rubberband man, circus act; call it what you will, but the freakish ability to throw a game ball upwards of 30 yards is lethal.
When thrown, the ball comes in with the same pace of a corner kick, (http://stokecity.fandome.com/video/106660/Rory-Delap-Long-Throw-Highlights/) but it creates a level of indecision among opposing defenders that makes 10-year veterans look like trialists.
'It's difficult to defend, isn't it," TFC coach John Carver asked, reversing my own question.

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/04/12/johnston_throwins/)

Toronto FC held to tie by FC Dallas
Eric Koreen, National Post

TORONTO -- Toronto FC defender Adrian Serioux had just finished playing more than 90 minutes against the team he spent his last two seasons with. For the vast majority of that time, his new team led the game.
So as the Scarborough native greeted the media after TFC's 1-1 tie with FC Dallas on Saturday, he was nonplussed.
How does it feel to let an opportunity to kick your struggling ex-teammates when they were down slip by? Not great.
"Can I curse on camera?" Serioux inquired. "No?"

Read More (http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1488656)

TFC in desperate need of true centre-back
G.Wheeler

Stefan Frei has arrived.
In his third start in Major League Soccer, Toronto FC's rookie keeper had his busiest and best day thus far.
With a myriad of important saves, the young Swiss goalkeeper showed why he's TFC's keeper for the present and the future.

FREI A STANDOUT
Without Frei standing on his head on many occasions, a sub-standard 1-1 home draw against MLS bottom-dwellers FC Dallas could have been an embarrassing home loss.
Toronto was outshot 19-10 (7-2 on goal), hardly looking like the decent home side it was in '08.
TFC head coach John Carver may be happier about his team's performance this week than last, but quite frankly, anything short of three points has to be seen as a massive letdown.
After a positive start, the second half was a nightmare for the home side.
How can a TFC letdown for a second consecutive week be explained?
Much has been made of the team giving up too many second-half goals -- late goals in particular -- since its inception.
While fitness seemed to be a regular scapegoat, a more fitting reason is the lack of a defensive stalwart to keep the side organized for 90 minutes.
When the pressure mounts, all teams need a defensive player who can put his foot on the ball and dictate defensive responsibilities.
TFC never has had this player, and is thus exposed defensively.
From Day 1, the mantra for building TFC should have been from the back out.
This doesn't just apply to TFC -- or just soccer in general -- it's the building model for all sports.
Heck, when Brian Burke came to Toronto to save the Maple Leafs, he proclaimed he was going to build from the back out.
Instead, TFC has been built part by part, none seeming to fit appropriately with the others.
There are talented players scattered across the pitch, but style doesn't always mean substance.
To help the talent shine through from defensive third to attacking third, a strong defensive nucleus is needed to establish play at the back to find consistency and rhythm.
This hasn't happened and hopes of bringing in a top-class centre-back continue to fall by the wayside.
The addition of Adrian Serioux has helped the situation but he is not ideally suited for the role.
Serioux's preferred position is as a defensive midfielder and has been proven as a right-back in the past.
Similarly, Kevin Harmse isn't a natural centre-back.
Serioux in a defensive holding role would be a massive upgrade to the formation, allowing Carl Robinson to move more freely through the centre of the pitch.
That means Amado Guevara and Dwayne De Rosario could have more room to operate offensively while not giving up anything from a defensive perspective.

Once again, this means bringing in quality, natural centre-backs.
Makeshift doesn't work, whether it is the MLS or the English Premiership.
It's no coincidence Manchester United's recent defensive woes were compounded after losing Rio Ferdinand to injury.
Ferdinand's the stabilizing force at the back of United. His poise, positional superiority and organization disguises weakness in United's personnel.
Just like if Liverpool lost Jamie Carragher or Chelsea was without John Terry -- the defensive organization wouldn't be the same.
It's time TFC acquires a player in the mould of a Ferdinand, Carragher or Terry to call its own.
TFC still has its designated player allotment and now would be the appropriate time to use it on a centre-back.
If not, it will continue to be a busy season for Frei.

Notes
Rumour has it TFC is getting ready to announce a summer friendly with a major European team. Part of the deal is said to be a grass field brought into BMO for the game ...
The long-throw is a weapon, but should it be used every time? Serioux's long throw worked to perfection on De Rosario's first goal as a Red.
But if TFC is going to use it every time, it needs to bring a man short and create some more space.

Off the streets and onto the soccer field
Iain Marlow

There is a glob of adhesive to hold Ritchie Peters' glasses together and his tear-aways and navy blue parka don't seem to fit too well.
But in his red Toronto Street Kids soccer jersey, modelled after this city's TFC franchise, he looks much better and senses he belongs to something much larger – the point, essentially, of any uniform.
At 39, his black hair speckled with grey, Peters is certainly not a Toronto street kid. More importantly, like many players on this highly skilled squad, he is no longer homeless.

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/617185)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

trane
04-13-2009, 06:57 AM
What qualifies you to write about football in Canada? It would be nice to get a bit more insight from professionals.

Batman
04-13-2009, 07:22 AM
What qualifies you to write about football in Canada? It would be nice to get a bit more insight from professionals.

wtf.:noidea:

TFC~Vatreni
04-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Notes
Rumour has it TFC is getting ready to announce a summer friendly with a major European team. Part of the deal is said to be a grass field brought into BMO for the game ...

I know a grass field is still a rumor but WAHOOOOOOOOO!:D

JDG
04-13-2009, 08:04 AM
wtf.:noidea:

He could be referring to the article from Judas Wheeler. :noidea:

The Kingpin
04-13-2009, 08:13 AM
This is great - we are posting The National Post. Who am I not allowed to read again? Not posting links to The Sun (assuming since there have been issues) - but then posting a link to the Sunshine girl, and The Star. What is happening around here? I'm rarely around anymore, but I think crazy is beginning to prevail!! :)

jabbronies
04-13-2009, 08:20 AM
This is great - we are posting The National Post. Who am I not allowed to read again? Not posting links to The Sun (assuming since there have been issues) - but then posting a link to the Sunshine girl, and The Star. What is happening around here? I'm rarely around anymore, but I think crazy is beginning to prevail!! :)

Gotta keep up with the times man!!:drinking:

keem-o-sabi
04-13-2009, 09:24 AM
today's coed girl (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/) :) :yum:

Super
04-13-2009, 09:31 AM
We're in desperate need of a striker who can actually score goals on a regular basis. 4 games, ZERO goals by our strikers.

I think we're walking into a season full of small defeats and draws.

Daveisonfire
04-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Vitti has scored...still not sure why it didn't count though

Beach_Red
04-13-2009, 09:41 AM
We're in desperate need of a striker who can actually score goals on a regular basis. 4 games, ZERO goals by our strikers.

I think we're walking into a season full of small defeats and draws.

You may be right. And this is not the league to rely on defense to win.

Roogsy
04-13-2009, 10:28 AM

You are allowed to read anyone you want. I wasn't aware that what happens on this board is precluding you from making the effort of typing in whatever you want on your computer.

As for the Sun...let's try to get our facts straight here people. There was DISCUSSION about that, but the Sun was never actually banned from this board. Some of you guys blame us for taking knee-jerk reactions but your accusations sometimes smell of the same shit.

rocker
04-13-2009, 11:08 AM

but I don't think Vitti has had the proper time (whether because of his injury, or whatever). He's played two full games.... in one he should have had a goal but it was called back for a bad call on Dichio.... if he had 1 goal in 2 games we'd be happy with him right now.

TheRenter
04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
the goals will come, up front isn't our problem; the back line is our problem

TFC John
04-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Vitti has scored...still not sure why it didn't count though

If we count the called back goals, Dichio put one in the net on Saturday. So that's two by our strikers - even though it's really not.

scooter
04-13-2009, 02:02 PM
good day all

Super
04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Last year I was upset about our strikers, and sure enough, most people on here said that the problem was with our D. Nevermind that we were one of the lowest scoring teams in the league in year one and two.

But fine, let's secure our defence to the point where no one will ever score against us. Because the only way in heck we're making the play-offs with this group of strikers is if we're able to pull out 26 0-0 draws.

Super
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
^ and just for the record, that is not to say that I have zero faith in our strikers. But at this time I have more faith in our defence than in our strikers. Hopefully that will change in the next game.

The Kingpin
04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
You are allowed to read anyone you want. I wasn't aware that what happens on this board is precluding you from making the effort of typing in whatever you want on your computer.

As for the Sun...let's try to get our facts straight here people. There was DISCUSSION about that, but the Sun was never actually banned from this board. Some of you guys blame us for taking knee-jerk reactions but your accusations sometimes smell of the same shit.

You forgot the "smiley" - as you must be joking...... :chillpill:

And why are you yelling the word "DISCUSSION"!! Was I a part of it?

trane
04-13-2009, 08:09 PM
He could be referring to the article from Judas Wheeler. :noidea:

Yes, that is the one.