PDA

View Full Version : What can be done to help barrett?

mastermixer
04-12-2009, 08:56 PM
We know barrett is a talented player, but it is obvious by his body language that his confidence is shot. He just looks deflated out there... especially after that botched header last game the ref had to go over and make sure he was ok. Every missed opportunity seems to make it worse. I know most people are saying bench the dude but will that help his confidence? What can he or anyone do to get him out of this?

Gixmo
04-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Easy Answer

Support him - Rather feed him to the wolves...Chad's obviously struggling with his form, mentally and physically - the best we can do as supporters, is SUPPORT

You watch, one of these days Mr. Barrett comes along and when he dents the Onion bag, It will be of significance...

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 08:59 PM
It's all about his state of mind. Mentally there's a problem for him right now. Personally what I think would be best would be to sing positive chants about Barrett and make banners supporting Barrett etc. Maybe some friendly emails supporting him? Cheers!

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Order him a shrink, let him sort out his problems and take the rest of the season off.

That's how I'd help.

Pigfynn
04-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Easy Answer

Support him - Rather feed him to the wolves...Chad's obviously struggling with his form, mentally and physically - the best we can do as supporters, is SUPPORT

You watch, one of these days Mr. Barrett comes along and when he dents the Onion bag, It will be of significance...

Without any doubt this is the truth.

End of thread.

T_Mizz
04-12-2009, 09:03 PM
I agree that he needs to sort this out on the field and the best way to increase his confidence is to get him a goal but his confidence is so low that he can't score its a vicious cycle

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 09:06 PM
This is ridiculous.

"Don't worry about scoring, Chad, Take your time, we can wait! Don't mind that far superior forward sitting on the bench, we won't let him take your spot...no we won't"

Pigfynn
04-12-2009, 09:09 PM
With all due respect Exiled, who is this FAR superior striker?

SilverSamurai
04-12-2009, 09:10 PM
I was thinking voodoo or something... but banners work too.
Ya it's obvious his confidence is shot. He definitely needs a goal. Even De Vos was saying he feels for the guy.

Mrs. Workie
04-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Bench him- For a game or two.

TFC USA
04-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Every game matters. The fact that he refuses to put away game-changing or game-clinching goals will kill us.

See Cunningham. He missed so many chances in the Columbus game (that ended 2-2) and we should've won that game. He scored I think 1 goal on a breakaway and that was against Salt Lake.

Bench Barrett, have him work harder, let someone more capable than him play.

Shway
04-12-2009, 09:12 PM
^^^ lol
but its true
theres a song that goes, you better loose yourself in the music, the moments, you better never let it go, you only got one shot do not miss your chance to blow, this opportunity comes once in a lifetime.

Chad had more then 1?
Chad is 24 i believe, he is not Ibbe where we would be like he's still has alot to learn
Chad if he hasnt learned, send him to the bench

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 09:14 PM

(I used the term forward) Dichio is FAR superior to Barrett. Not just for his finish, but his ability to rally the team and hold the ball in the opposition half.

A year ago, nobody thought that Cunny deserved a song and a hug, and Cunny actually netted against Beckham's Galaxy.

greatwhitenorf
04-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Exiled is aggrieved because Barrett looks so much like Wayne Rooney.

Let's stick together and support Barrett. He obviously works hard and with his heart in the right place, good things will come. Miss a goal like he did with his wayward header in the first half of Saturday's game and it's easy to imagine he'll be haunted by it all week as he hits the practice pitch.

He made a mistake and I'll bet he wants to make amends.

apetimberlake
04-12-2009, 09:18 PM

At the moment....i would rather have......
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6q-f-zD4xPY/SCFFnqBhFOI/AAAAAAAABw8/oTUJDSKfrDU/s320/GoldfishPlayingSoccer.jpg

DVS
04-12-2009, 09:19 PM
G-NzDwwTb6o

Whatever you do don't show him this you tube. He may realize he really does suck

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 09:21 PM
. He scored I think 1 goal on a breakaway and that was against Salt Lake.

You missed this one then.

Cunny's other goal on the breakaway (http://web.mlsnet.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=mms%3A//a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2008/open/topplays/06/060808_torhou_goal_cunningham_fx_350.wmv&w_id=21377&catCode=top_plays&type=v_free&_mp=1)

and another (http://web.mlsnet.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=mms%3A//a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2008/open/topplays/04/041308_torlag_cunningham_goal_350.wmv&w_id=18945&catCode=top_plays&type=v_free&_mp=1)

fiji_blue
04-12-2009, 09:26 PM
He needs to score two goals in Dallas !!

FluSH
04-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Stay away from the Voodoo!

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Exiled is aggrieved because Barrett looks so much like Wayne Rooney.

Let's stick together and support Barrett. He obviously works hard and with his heart in the right place, good things will come. Miss a goal like he did with his wayward header in the first half of Saturday's game and it's easy to imagine he'll be haunted by it all week as he hits the practice pitch.

He made a mistake and I'll bet he wants to make amends.

Hey, I'll support him, while he's our only option on the pitch.

Thing is he isn't. There are 3 other options. The only reason he's getting time on the pitch is because someone rather stupidly signed him to 4 years.

We're losing points right now, because mistakes aren't being acknowledged, rather they are being repeated.

Dichio is a better option, there is no arguing this point. Chad is a good kid, but he's a throwback from earlier MLS days when all you needed to be a great striker was one goal in ten attempts.

Shway
04-12-2009, 09:30 PM
o man after that video,

im rellishing the chance to see Obrien White play

tfc
04-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Easy Answer

yayyyyy, at least one person on this board sees the connection between being called a supporter and how they act/speak about the team.

"TRADE HIM/BENCH HIM/TELL HIM TO QUIT FOOTBALL FOREVER, HE BLOWS! whats that? no im not a crew supporter, why would you think that, i love TFC... biggest supporter out there..." :rolleyes::drinking:

Captain Croatia
04-12-2009, 09:31 PM
What does he need?

Practice, because it looks like gets none.

Hopefully when he scores his first goal he will regain his confidence and continue to score.

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Look At DVS video.

Watch those flubs.

Every top striker in the world has made a couple of those. But not even mediocre strikers in second tier leagues do it as often as that.

We can already make a video like that from his time here.

Gixmo
04-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Exiled - I totally understand your point, 100% - It's correct as well, there certainly are better options on the bench.. that being said, it's early on, It's 4 games in and there's a long season ahead. Let him sort it now so that when it is crunch time, he delivers.

I have 100% faith that Chad will find the net, and when he does I'm gonna bet the farm it saves face for TFC... When we praise him the, is all forgotten?

He obviously has skill, or he would not have made it this far in his career.

Sing him a song, give him a lift, make him a banner... and when he scores, We'll see it was all worth it.. What you gonna do if he scores and runs right to the South End ? Give him the bird? Tell him off?

No, We'll celebrate with him and the joy in his face will continue to translate to goals on the pitch.

(However, the time line for that happen needs to be quick, that I will give you..)

DVS
04-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Look At DVS video.

Watch those flubs.

Every top striker in the world has made a couple of those. But not even mediocre strikers in second tier leagues do it as often as that.

Dichio and/or Ibra deserve the start over him. Unfortunately it goes futher than Barrett.

1. Is the Vitti signing worth 300 000? Yes he hasn't played much but 300 000 bucks can get you talent in this league.

2. Ricketts gets signed? Personally I thought Ibra did a better job playing an unnatural position for him

3. Is there really a Centre Back playing beside Serioux?

And it goes on and on. Lack of depth will really hurt this club in the future.

Problem is its unprofessional to can Mo or Carver at this moment. This go slow when ownership is worried about counting concession sales etc etc over success on the pitch.

Also, that you tube I posted was only from last two seasons with Fire

napoli73
04-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Nothing will help him, he lacks basic footy skills, to me it just seem like he tries hard to be a good footballer but lacks the natural skills.

TFC USA
04-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Commentator: Through ball by De Rosario for Barrett at the edge of the penalty area! This could win it! WTF?! He toe poked it to the keeper. And TFC drops 2 more points in their quest for a playoff spot.

(Final Whistle Blows)

Fans: Give him another chance! He just tries so hard. His confidence is lacking and once he starts he'll be a goal scoring slut.

Rinse, wash, repeat.

Pachuco
04-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Bench him.

InTheCrowd
04-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Guys support him. We know he can score from last season and once we get him back into it he'll really be bagging them for us! Simple support. Chant positively about him and make nice banners about him etc.

Shakes McQueen
04-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Look At DVS video.

Watch those flubs.

Google "Nicklas Bendtner". Or Didier Drogba for 80% of this season.

His confidence is shot. I support sitting him for a match or two, to get the pressure off him. I haven't given up on him, because I know he produced last season, and the season before.

- Scott

TFC USA
04-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Google "Nicklas Bendtner". Or Didier Drogba for 80% of this season.

His confidence is shot. I support sitting him for a match or two, to get the pressure off him. I haven't given up on him, because I know he produced last season, and the season before.

- Scott

Bendtner = A tall and better version of Andrea Lombardo

Come on, Arsenal and Chelsea are constantly winning. They're getting RESULTS. When Barrett flubs one wide of the post it potentially takes away a win or a tie. Not only should someone more capable than him start (Pablo Vitti), but show him how to score.

Yohan
04-13-2009, 09:01 AM
It's pretty darn sad situation because Barrett is doing practically everything else right, except score.

The fact that he's getting his share of chances means he's reading his teammates correctly and making all the right movements on pitch, plus he works hard, yet mysteriously his finishing disappeared.

So I'm torn between whether benching him, or give him one more chance.

Maybe putting him on sub's bench will motivate him. Then again, maybe benching him will shatter whatever confidence he has left. It's an ugly thing, to look at a striker who lost all his confidence. Just look at Sheva

Either way, Carver has to make a decision. TFC has demonstrated that Dallas's defence is shite, but striker needs to put away the chances and I don't know how much more Carver will tolerate Barrett costing us points.

InTheCrowd
04-13-2009, 09:23 AM
I say we play him. Benching him is way to risky. Just play him, he's bound to score any minute now. And with positive motivation, his chances will be much higher. Once he gets that one vital goal, he'll be back on his feet.

Pachuco
04-13-2009, 09:32 AM
I say we play him. Benching him is way to risky. Just play him, he's bound to score any minute now. And with positive motivation, his chances will be much higher. Once he gets that one vital goal, he'll be back on his feet.

I really don't get it. This is what Barrett is known for, way before he came to TFC. I remember I started reading Chicago threads at the time and most people were happy to see him go. So it's not something new to Barrett, he's not in a drought. He's simply doing what he does. He creates 10 chances and out of those he'll score once if he's lucky.

There is some truth to what Giambac is saying, atleast Cunningham was a proven goal scorer, he was trully in a drought here though.

At the end of the day, we can't be worried about people's feelings. He gets payed alot of money to put the ball in the net and he has trouble doing that. If he doesn't work out, get rid of him. It's not that hard to do in the MLS. Look, we got rid of Cunninham did we not?

And don't think I'm saying it's time for him to go, I'm not saying that at all. I am simply saying the guy needs to come off the bench for 1 or 2 games, I really think the change of scenery might help.

InTheCrowd
04-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I really don't get it. This is what Barrett is known for, way before he came to TFC. I remember I started reading Chicago threads at the time and most people were happy to see him go. So it's not something new to Barrett, he's not in a drought. He's simply doing what he does. He creates 10 chances and out of those he'll score once if he's lucky.

There is some truth to what Giambac is saying, atleast Cunningham was a proven goal scorer, he was trully in a drought here though.

At the end of the day, we can't be worried about people's feelings. He gets payed alot of money to put the ball in the net and he has trouble doing that. If he doesn't work out, get rid of him. It's not that hard to do in the MLS. Look, we got rid of Cunninham did we not?

And don't think I'm saying it's time for him to go, I'm not saying that at all. I am simply saying the guy needs to come off the bench for 1 or 2 games, I really think the change of scenery might help.

Look mate, maybe it's what he's known for but last season he proved to us that he can score for Toronto FC. And let's not forget that he creates so many chances, I mean other strikers will get less opportunities to score than Barrett because he works so hard to get himself into these positions. I'm not going to use that against him, if anything towards him.

I still believe Barrett's in a drought mate.

Feelings have to be taken into account. Feelings contribute to how a player plays on the pitch. Look, Barrett's on a four year contract. We'd need to get something good in return to neglect that. Ya we got rid of Cunningham, but for what? A 3rd round draft pick. Once he starts scoring he won't stop.

I see what you're saying about him going onto the bench, but in all honesty that's just to much of a risk. It could work well for him or it could do the opposite. I say we keep letting him play and if we support him he'll have more motivation and will finish more of the scoring opportunities that he makes for himself.

apetimberlake
04-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Look mate, maybe it's what he's known for but last season he proved to us that he can score for Toronto FC. And let's not forget that he creates so many chances, I mean other strikers will get less opportunities to score than Barrett because he works so hard to get himself into these positions. I'm not going to use that against him, if anything towards him.

Commmmon.......He can't score, or pass.
This guy is dead weight....
How does he create chances?? His shots are miss the net or go into goal keeps arms (or are passed directly to the goal keepers feet)

InTheCrowd
04-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Commmmon.......He can't score, or pass.
This guy is dead weight....
How does he create chances?? His shots are miss the net or go into goal keeps arms (or are passed directly to the goal keepers feet)

He CAN score. He showed us that last season. Even if his shots miss the net or go into the keepers arms those ARE chances. He gets so many more opportunities than other strikers and that's not because he just happens to always get better passes than the other strikers. Once he nets one his confidence will go up. Criticizing and benching him won't help his confidence.

napoli73
04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't blame Barrett as he is trying the best he can, I blame whoever drafted and signed him ....he's the guy i blame because he must be blind if he saw skill in Barrett. He should go back and finish his College.

rocker
04-13-2009, 10:29 AM
the difference between Dichio and Barrett, in a statistical sense, is very small. Dichio is slightly better, but in real terms, the difference would amount to just a goal or two between them. Barrett is better at assists. Thus, I don't see Dichio as a massive upgrade on Barrett. A slight improvement, yes, but I think Vitti's got more upside than both (but I base this observation solely on my eyes and have no stats to back it up). And Vitti has acknowledged a chemistry with Barrett. I think either you go with Barrett and Vitti up front or Vitti with De Ro (and have Guevara feeding them).

Stats in MLS:
Dichio
2699 minutes
11 goals,
4 assists,
43 shots,
24 shots on goal,
55.8% of shots on goal
1 goal every 245 minutes,
1 assist every 674 minutes
1 shot every 63 minutes,
1 shot on goal every 112 minutes.

Barrett
5813 minutes,
22 goals,
14 assists,
185 shots,
96 shots on goal,
52% of shots on goal
1 goal every 261 minutes,
1 assist every 410 minutes
1 shot every 31 minutes,
1 shot on goal every 61 minutes.

If Dichio had played Barrett's minutes, he'd have scored 24 goals (compared to Barrett's 22)

If Barrett played Dichio's minutes, he'd have 10 goals, 7 assists (compared to Dichio's 11, 4)

Given that Dichio has stated he's retiring at season's end, and given the difference between the two is statistically insignificant, I see two options: 1) play Barrett.. since the guy is ten years younger than Dichio, and we need him to develop since we have him on a 4 year deal and he's untradeable unless we eat the deal, 2) play Vitti more and see if he is better than Barrett and Dichio.

jabbronies
04-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Drop him back behind another striker. That way he can come in with the ball and do what he does best, then you have that top striker put in the left over garbage that barrett would otherwise have missed.

napoli73
04-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Drop him back behind another striker. That way he can come in with the ball and do what he does best, then you have that top striker put in the left over garbage that barrett would otherwise have missed.

If he's not coming off the bench, its the only position i see him playing. I'd have Dero and Vitti with Barrett playing Dero's position.

jabbronies
04-13-2009, 10:37 AM
If he's not coming off the bench, its the only position i see him playing. I'd have Dero and Vitti with Barrett playing Dero's position.

exactly...Since Barrett can't score, just have him bring the ball in and create chances for guys who can finish. Not that Vitti has proven himself either, but that's for another thread!

The thing I like about Barrett is that he isn't afraid to shoot!

napoli73
04-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Well he likes to shoot, but what i like is that he hustles and chases down the opposition well. There is no need to have your lone striker chasing players back into your own area like he does...that is why i think he's a better fit in that position.

Sullivan
04-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Sit him. Take the pressure off. Every game gets heavier.
Let him fight his way back to a starting spot after a few spells as a sub.
He's had chances to finish and he hasn't; he knows its coming.

kancell
04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
never seen the guy play apart from in that youtube video, but he sounds incredibly like kenny miller of rangers and scotland. these sort of guys that give 100% effort, close down well and work hard for the team are great, but they cannot be played as a lone striker.

rangers have paired miller up with kris boyd, who is the complete opposite, he doesnt track back and rarely tackles, however he has a natural ability to finish and scores a barrel load of goals whether he starts or comes off the bench. it sounds to me as if you need a proven goalscorer to create a similar partnership. someone like Mo Johnston!!!! ha ha!

as an aside, danny dichio is english league one (3rd division) standard, although many years ago was a decent player at QPR!

Carts
04-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Chad is probably rattled...

The off-season was all about bringing in Dero to boost the offence. Then Vitti is brought in with a hefty salary...

That can rattle a striker. They over think everything when 'not scoring' gets in their heads...

A breakout game will shake that off...

When a striker isn't scoring, the most important thing to keep working hard. He's doing that... Let's hope he shakes this off and finds the net soon...

Lets also remember, its not like the team is filling the net and he is the only one... 2-goals in our last 3-games, including being shutout at home...

The team is struggling to score, not just Chad...

Carts...

jloome
This is nothing new and should surprise no one. Barrett has always needed four or five chances for each goal he scores.

The only question at this point is whether at 24 someone can teach him how to roll the fucking ball into the fucking net. Does the guy do this all practice long? Unlikely, or he wouldn't be playing on Saturdays.

Given his extremely healthy assist totals, which are usually among the league top 10, we should be playing him as the second striker (as suggested by rocker, he has a lot of Dichio's traits, just a different set of tools to create space) and either try Vitti and see if he can finish or SIGN A FUCKING STRIKER.

The problem right now is that Dwayne is a much BETTER second striker and setup (hole) player than Barrett. So sit him until he's needed. Play Guevara and Robbo in the middle, or Robbo, Cronin Guevara in a 433. Either way, based on how he's played for us all year so far, including pre-season. DeRosario should be the second forward/striker, and Vitti should be up top.

InTheCrowd
If only we had Kenny Cooper. :D

If you shagged misses Cooper clap your hands
*clap*clap*
If you shagged misses Cooper clap your hands
*clap*clap*
If you shagged misses Cooper, if you stuck it in her pooper, if you shagged misses Cooper clap your hands
*clap*clap*

napoli73
04-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Curious how this might work....

-------------------Frei-----------------

Wynne-----Serioux----Harmes----Brennan

------------------Robinson-------------------
------Cronin------------------Guevara
-------------------Barrett--------------------

---------------------------Dero
---------------------Vitti

Giving us the option of Ibby, Ricketts, Dichio off the bench

Ossington Mental Youth
04-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Play Guevara and Robbo in the middle, or Robbo, Cronin Guevara in a 433. Either way, based on how he's played for us all year so far, including pre-season. DeRosario should be the second forward/striker, and Vitti should be up top.

yep, this is becoming a great source of stress for me with regards to Carver.
I know he loves his 4-4-2 but we have the capability to play a 4-3-3 effectively especially as Ricketts isnt playing that well. Once he is switche back to a 4-4-2 but at least give the 4-3-3 a go (looked good enough when we switched to it against Seattle).

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey, I'll support him, while he's our only option on the pitch.

Thing is he isn't. There are 3 other options. The only reason he's getting time on the pitch is because someone rather stupidly signed him to 4 years.

We're losing points right now, because mistakes aren't being acknowledged, rather they are being repeated.

Dichio is a better option, there is no arguing this point. Chad is a good kid, but he's a throwback from earlier MLS days when all you needed to be a great striker was one goal in ten attempts.

Yes this is arguing the Point on Dichio....he's slow...he's old..what the hell
is he still doing here? Barrett will get his goals once the confidence comes back..

Keyman
04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Barrett is a professional athlete. If he can't take criticism, especially when the criticism is entirely valid, then he shouldn't be playing the sport. I highly doubt he even gives a shit about what we think. Carver has probably gone off on him on numerous occassions. But the point is, the only thing that can be done to help Chad Barrett...is something that only Chad Barrett can do, score. Until he starts to score, he'll continue to hear it from logical fans, and should see his playing time diminish.

Azerban
04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
has anyone said "raise the nets 6 feet"?

didn't read the thread

Dirk Diggler
04-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Barrett is a professional athlete. If he can't take criticism, especially when the criticism is entirely valid, then he shouldn't be playing the sport. I highly doubt he even gives a shit about what we think. Carver has probably gone off on him on numerous occassions. But the point is, the only thing that can be done to help Chad Barrett...is something that only Chad Barrett can do, score. Until he starts to score, he'll continue to hear it from logical fans, and should see his playing time diminish.

Well said.

napoli73
04-13-2009, 11:34 AM
The fix could be as simple as an Optometrist.

InTheCrowd
04-13-2009, 11:35 AM

Did you just say scoring is going to help him score lol?

Keyman
04-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Did you just say scoring is going to help him score lol?
no...?

mastermixer
04-13-2009, 11:43 AM
seems like its down the middle on weather Barret should be benched or not. I think he should start off the bench until he gets a goal, then give him the starting spot back. Or better yet, if he continues with the airballs we realize that Vitti or Dichio deserves to start over him and just use him as an off the bench player.

Brooker
04-13-2009, 11:43 AM
the back of 112 seems to think booing Barrett will do the trick.

smart.

napoli73
04-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Benching won't help but changing his role will, he is what he is and a lone striker he is not! After watching the video posted i don't know what's more pathetic his misses or his strikes, they both lack quality.

InTheCrowd
04-13-2009, 12:40 PM
no...?

"But the point is, the only thing that can be done to help Chad Barrett...is something that only Chad Barrett can do, score."

Sounded an awful lot like it. :noidea:

smart.

Exactly. That's the kind of thing that will NOT help him. We need to encourage him not discourage him.

koryo
04-13-2009, 12:44 PM
RobM and I were talking about Barrett after Saturday's game. As soon as he missed his first chance he starts to beat himself up mentally - which means he's going to miss the rest.

I really don't know what you do to help that.

torontocelt
04-13-2009, 12:48 PM
RobM and I were talking about Barrett after Saturday's game. As soon as he missed his first chance he starts to beat himself up mentally - which means he's going to miss the rest.

If he is really that weak mentally then he is in the wrong game. Strikers miss opportunities all the time, they just have to get on with it. Mo was a great striker and I am sure he has had a word with Barrett. Barrett's main problem is that he just isn't very good.

ExiledRed
04-13-2009, 01:31 PM

You don't. The kid has to snap out of it himself.

"Take your time, buddy. We know you can do it.....go on, be like the little train... say to yourself 'I know I can...I know I can....I know I can....' Dont worry about the result, just go out and have fun...relax and a goal will come!

Once you get that ball in once you'll be the next Michael Owen!"

Personally I dont want to wait for him to get his head together. If his head's not together, he shouldn't be playing in the first place.

ExiledRed
04-13-2009, 01:32 PM
If he is really that weak mentally then he is in the wrong game. Strikers miss opportunities all the time, they just have to get on with it. Mo was a great striker and I am sure he has had a word with Barrett. Barrett's main problem is that he just isn't very good.

This.

jloome
04-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Might be worth moving him to the wing. His strengths seem to be getting behind the backline and creating chances, maybe he's the next Ronnie O'Brien but is blinded by the belief he can hit the broad side of a barn.

ExiledRed
04-13-2009, 01:40 PM
maybe he's the next Ronnie O'Brien but is blinded by the belief he can hit the broad side of a barn.

Which he couldn't do even if he found the barn at the top of a beanstalk.

kancell
04-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Ronnie O'Brien!!! i recognise that name, a failed Dundee United loan player from circa 2002! the boy was at Juventus for 3 years somehow, he was fairly hopeless! is he decent in the MLS?

s2cazz
04-13-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm suprised that no one suggested getting the boy laid

Is there money for this in the budget?

spezz44
04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
could not agree more

TFCREDNWHITE
04-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Tell him that "TFC" would like to foster a Champions Mentality! and due to his lack of confidence and mental inability and inept finishing skills, we have decided to move you to the "Tim Hortons Super league"

jloome
04-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Ronnie O'Brien!!! i recognise that name, a failed Dundee United loan player from circa 2002! the boy was at Juventus for 3 years somehow, he was fairly hopeless! is he decent in the MLS?

He was. He was dropped this year and not resigned. Has a rep as a locker-room cancer, although he played well for us for our first season. Good acceleration, good dribbler. He'd get ripped up at top euro level by the defending, but here he was very effective, kinda a low-rent Huckerby.

fetajr
04-13-2009, 02:19 PM
We know barrett is a talented player, but it is obvious by his body language that his confidence is shot. He just looks deflated out there... especially after that botched header last game the ref had to go over and make sure he was ok. Every missed opportunity seems to make it worse. I know most people are saying bench the dude but will that help his confidence? What can he or anyone do to get him out of this?

Send him to the best rub'n'tug in town on MLSE's bill.

napoli73
04-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I think we have beaten this subject to a pulp....I would love to see him succeed and the team along with him...but the truth has to be told...if he is our starting striker then our team is playing to its ability and we are right were we deserve to be...plan and simple, change his role and i guarantee things will change...for him and the team.

gtaguy
04-13-2009, 02:30 PM
I think someone in the team needs to show chad some finer points of ball possession inside the 18 yard box..
Some one needs to remind chad to shoot the ball quicker and not get his angles blocked by oncoming defenders and goalie.
someone needs to tell chad that you can't possibly score by kicking the ball dead at the goalkeeper.
Chad needs to learn that his chances at scoring will improve if he lays off the toe punting crap and that a low shot just a foot off the ground is also a good viable option..
all his shots are wide , over the crossbar or dead on shots at the goalkeeper. Its a big net someone show him .

maybe chad can sleep under the goal net this whole week at bmo to get himself acquainted with it once again.

ExiledRed
04-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Barrett was supposed to solve our offensive problems.

Instead we inherited Chicago's.

nice.

bhoybobby
04-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Other than a superb work rate, which should be a given the lad's head seems to go down. I don't think he's mentally tough. I'd hope that Carver has DD mentoring him.

Maybe once he has a scoring run, his confidence will soar. Right now today, he's not our best option up front. DD & Vitti.

Having said that, being a young striker at TFC is always gonna be a demanding position, you have to contribute right away, if your not scoring you better be winning in the air & on the ground, plus setting up.

BFin
04-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Pinning our entire offensive struggle on one guy makes me...
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9361/bfinface.jpg
Even at work.

BFin
04-13-2009, 03:12 PM

smart.
That seems odd to me, since I am in the back of 112 and thought Barrett got love this week. I am about one of the biggest Barrett fans left, so I would recognize people openly criticizng him.
This week he got a lot of encouragement, I thought, as he was clearly giving 100% on the field, and the majority in 112 recognized that.
So thank you, I do feel smart for encouraging him.

Markham_RPB
04-13-2009, 03:20 PM
That seems odd to me, since I am in the back of 112 and thought Barrett got love this week. I am about one of the biggest Barrett fans left, so I would recognize people openly criticizng him.
This week he got a lot of encouragement, I thought, as he was clearly giving 100% on the field, and the majority in 112 recognized that.

Agreed
Barrett and I am pretty sure no players on the field representing TFC get booed ! 112 supports everyone, and on saturday we gave barrett nothing but love ! He might not have the greatest first touch, but you cant lack him for his effort on the field.
He runs down the ball , and tries to help the team as much as he willingly can !

Dale_Rojo
04-13-2009, 03:32 PM
TBH ride the bench for a game ONE GAME, let him get composed , see how he does in the next one, sub him in at half or so . if he does ok let him start .:noidea:

Brooker
04-13-2009, 06:07 PM

hey i know what i heard when he fucked up again in front of the south end.

im wearing a Barrett jersey so i don't like the sound of him getting boo'd from behind me. im gonna get a beer thrown at me lol.

Jack
04-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Pinning our entire offensive struggle on one guy makes me...

Even at work.
Still, when that one guy is getting the start every game and missing sitters, he's a lot more of a part of the problem than the solution.

BFin
04-13-2009, 06:56 PM
no doubt Jack, but he's not the player the majority of this board his making him out to be as well. I think I'm just frustrated with the hop on hop off the bandwagon attitude of some around here.

reggie
04-13-2009, 07:08 PM
trade him and a 1st rd pick to chicago for Mcbride....

Rocco
04-13-2009, 07:26 PM
i still have faith in him. All he needs is one goal to start off. One goal will get him back in action

seggs
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
[quote=napoli73;467313]Curious how this might work....

Wynne----- Serioux--- ----Brennan

------ -----------------
---- Cronin------Barrett---------Guevara----------

--------------------------------------------------
-----Dichio---------Vitti ----------Dero-------------

Give this a try . First half we score three goals , second half go back to normal formation. We have to play our best players.

trane
04-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Might be worth moving him to the wing. His strengths seem to be getting behind the backline and creating chances, maybe he's the next Ronnie O'Brien but is blinded by the belief he can hit the broad side of a barn.

I do not think that this is a bad idea. He runs hard, seems willing to come back, it would not hurt to try him out there for a strech of two.

kancell
04-14-2009, 08:45 AM
I do not think that this is a bad idea. He runs hard, seems willing to come back, it would not hurt to try him out there for a strech of two.

works with dirk kuyt of liverpool! terrible striker but very effective wide man

Jack
04-14-2009, 08:55 AM
[quote=napoli73;467313]Curious how this might work....

Wynne----- Serioux--- ----Brennan

------ -----------------
---- Cronin------Barrett---------Guevara----------

--------------------------------------------------
-----Dichio---------Vitti ----------Dero-------------

Give this a try . First half we score three goals , second half go back to normal formation. We have to play our best players.
Sorry, but that formation would be an absolute disaster. For a three-man backline, those are NOT the guys you want out there. We don't have the defenders for a three-man backline at this point in time. Wynne and Jimmy B are not cut out for it. We'd get ripped to shreds with Wynne and Brennan on a three-man backline and Serioux would not be the guy to anchor it.

Barrett in the midfield? If anything, you'd put DeRo there and put Dichio in the centre with Vitti and Barrett around him as forwards.

Not to be a dick, but this isn't Fifa 09 here :D

napoli73
04-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Just wanted to point out that this is not the formation that i suggested even if my handle is in the post........even i wouldn't try that in Fifa 09 :)

Jeff s
04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Ok, can someone please tell me where this "oh he'll be good" bullshit is coming from?

When the fuck was he ever good? He doesn't even hit double digits in a season. His shooting sucks, his touches suck, end of. What can save Barrett? How about practicing on those lame shots that could help. For the mean time sit your ass on the bench. Dichio and Vitti are better, what a waste for them to be on the bench.

Jeez, Cunny did the same thing and everyone hated him. So why the love for Barrett, at what point did he some how manage to give you guys this false hope that he'll turn good? Is it his poor scoring record, his ability fuck up easy chances? Just face it he sucks! I wish we trade him!