PDA

View Full Version : MLS Please Please Please Bring Back the Reserve Division

T_Mizz
04-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Is it just me or is the MLS in dire need of the reserve division again. I mean our team is 23 men and really only 14 are able to play on a week to week basis and these seem to always be the exact same people. I for one would like to see some of the younger players get a chance, for instance Gomez, Nana, Gala, Sanyang (after August 1st), Edwards. These guys are just wasting away and I'm not sure they're even on the bench, so does anyone know exactly how much money they're saving? Because In my Opinion its not enough.

Keyman
04-12-2009, 08:24 PM
I say our bench players should just "happen" across the bench players from whoever our opponent is randomly at BMO Field the night after each game.

LucaGol
04-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Just another reason why MLS makes no sense.

T_Mizz
04-12-2009, 08:30 PM
I say our bench players should just "happen" across the bench players from whoever our opponent is randomly at BMO Field the night after each game.
You sir are one devious mofo:D

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Didn't some of our bench players play for Toronto FC Academy in the Dallas Cup?

T_Mizz
04-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Didn't some of our bench players play for Toronto FC Academy in the Dallas Cup?
Just Sanyang actually

Shway
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
only Sanyang, who is not "Officiallly" on the team until his18 birthday.

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
only Sanyang, who is not "Officiallly" on the team until his18 birthday.

Yes, if I remember correctly he scored the final goal in our 3-0 victory over the AC Milan Academy.

Shway
04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I think they should have an under 23 divsion, and play with some of the PDL teams, that would give the likes of Gomes, White, Edwards, Nana, Gala the chance to play, and also some of the youth players can get used aswell.

Thats the way it should be done.

Shway
04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Just to think if we ever needed these guys to come in by sudden injury , NOT ONE OF THEM IS GAME SHAPE

Parkdale
04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
the costs of having a reserve squad were really too high for some of the clubs who don't make money like TFC, LA or NYRB. Just imagine what it costs to bring an extra 20 people along to every away game! They killed the reserve division because many owners just couldn't justify keeping it. Obviously, it's better for the players and the team, but it's a sacrifice that the league felt it had to make.

T_Mizz
04-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I always wondered that but really if they are going to improve the on-field product the Academies need to be developed and the Reserve Division must be brought back

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Just to think if we ever needed these guys to come in by sudden injury , NOT ONE OF THEM IS GAME SHAPE

Well Nana and Gabe both play for Canada's U-21's but besides that, training is all we've got.

MUFC_Niagara
04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Just another reason why MLS makes no sense.

LucaGol....*gulp*....I completely agree with you!

T0R0NT0 FC
04-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Is it just me or is the MLS in dire need of the reserve division again. I mean our team is 23 men and really only 14 are able to play on a week to week basis and these seem to always be the exact same people. I for one would like to see some of the younger players get a chance, for instance Gomez, Nana, Gala, Sanyang (after August 1st), Edwards. These guys are just wasting away and I'm not sure they're even on the bench, so does anyone know exactly how much money they're saving? Because In my Opinion its not enough.

umm... the reserve division was pointless. you didnt' get extra players because of it, you still had the same 23 guys but had reserve games as well. So if anything it was worse than it is now. :noidea:

T_Mizz
04-12-2009, 09:00 PM
^But the 23 guys on the team all got to play which is what I'm saying

MUFC_Niagara
04-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I honestly can't see how anyone can dispute that a reserve division is needed. Just one of the many ways this league is mickey mouse.

Edit: I am saying a reserve division is needed.

Shway
04-12-2009, 09:08 PM
how is a league considered mickey mouse because they have a reserve division?

is that not like how it is everywhere else?
or is the Premier League Mickey Mouse?

or is the Premier league just 70 years ahead lol

MUFC_Niagara
04-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I am saying mickey mouse that they DON'T have a reserve division.....

Shway
04-12-2009, 09:14 PM
sorry mate ....

ahh these people so quick to read!!!

Cashcleaner
04-13-2009, 12:11 AM
I'd really like to see the reserve division make a comeback to MLS, but I'd like a different format for it and how it works in relation to the senior team. Back when we had it I don't think I ever fully understood the restrictions involved with it.

Also, the MLS academy program needs sorting out, but at least they are on the right track with regards to development - it's only shitty that right now you can only sign one person a season from the academy.

David_Oliveira
04-13-2009, 07:30 AM
For the most part, the players that don't play still go on the away trips. If the coaches/management of teams had any sense, they would set up a scrimmage between these players. Even if it was only an hour long game, at some bummfuck field, it would be great. They need some sort of fire under their asses for when they are needed. Also, if one impresses, it could light a fire under the ass of the starters.