PDA

View Full Version : John Limniatis-just putting it out there

trane
04-12-2009, 03:09 PM
When the conversation of changing on field manangers, not that it will happen or should happen now, but people often say if not Carver then who. Many say a coach with MLS experince, which I can see , Seatle gives validity to this theory, but to me Limniatis, has proved his worth, despite the late game melt down in Mexico. How many of you would agree, and which over , realisti options are out there? Sven and Scolari are not comming over any time soon.

ensco
04-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Holger?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holger_Osieck

Yohan
04-12-2009, 03:16 PM
stephen hart? lol

trane
04-12-2009, 03:19 PM
^ Holger has quite the resume, and I understnad thhat e plays the attacking stylemost fans would love. The only down side is that BSC101 would have a stroke from joy. He would be a great candidate.

Listen Hart, did well when he had the mens team, you got to give him that.

Beach_Red
04-12-2009, 03:19 PM
When the conversation of changing on field manangers, not that it will happen or should happen now, but people often say if not Carver then who. Many say a coach with MLS experince, which I can see , Seatle gives validity to this theory, but to me Limniatis, has proved his worth, despite the late game melt down in Mexico. How many of you would agree, and which over , realisti options are out there? Sven and Scolari are not comming over any time soon.

Well, if Montreal win the Canadian Championship again.....

trane
04-12-2009, 03:20 PM
^ If we play like we have, they just might.

ensco
04-12-2009, 03:22 PM
^ Holger has quite the resume, and I understnad thhat e plays the attacking stylemost fans would love. The only down side is that BSC101 would have a stroke from joy. He would be a great candidate.

Listen Hart, did well when he had the mens team, you got to give him that.

Hart may be great, but he really has zero experience with managing, or with club football.

Holger plays an attacking style, he knows a bunch of our guys from the CMNT, is an experienced manager.....and he knows zip about MLS, which is a major drawback. It has been a major problem for Carver, he is obviously having trouble translating his experience to our league.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

LucaGol
04-12-2009, 03:26 PM
I think Colin Clarke (of Puerto Rico Islanders fame) might be a good candidate. Knows North American soccer and has had a lot of success in the USL.

Also had success with FC Dallas coaching in the MLS a few years ago.

As far as MLS head coaches go ... Steve Nicol, Frank Yallop and Dominic Kinnear would all be at the top of my shopping list. (if they were available)

Our Canadian rivals in the USL also have strong managers, Teitur Thordarson and John Limniatis. I really admire how both the Whitecaps and Impact play given the talent they have. Nothing flashy, keep it simple, ball on the deck, lots of effort soccer.

This is all hypothetical of course.

trane
04-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Hart may be great, but he really has zero experience with managing, or with club football.

Holger plays an attacking style, he knows a bunch of our guys from the CMNT, is an experienced manager.....and he knows zip about MLS, which is a major drawback. It has been a major problem for Carver, he is obviously having trouble translating his experience to our league.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

MLS?

ensco
04-12-2009, 03:36 PM
MLS?

Now that you point that out, you're right!

Damien
04-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I think if either Carver or MoJo have to go, they'll both go. MLSE will clean house and we'll look at other options. I'd suggest Central/South America... but I think we're speculating a lil prematurely.

Oldtimer
04-12-2009, 03:47 PM
John Limniatis looked like a very good coach at the beginning of the CCL, however his credibility was severely damaged by the 5-2 meltdown by Montreal (and it could have easily been 10-2) in Mexico. For a team like TFC that has a problem with conceding late goals (and that's actually the team's biggest issue), adding John Limniatis would be like pouring gasoline on a raging fire.

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 03:49 PM
coaches coming into MLS from other leagues are already disadvantaged. If this league worked like most others, I'm sure both Carver and Mo, would have done much better.

As it is, I don't believe that Guus Hiddink, Rafael Benitez or Jose mourinho would do well here, at least for about three years.

None of those guys have to worry about salary caps, shallow talent pools, domestic players, senior and youth designations, allocation money, international scheduling conflicts and a limit to 24 players on the squad.

How well would they do in this environment? my bet is, poorly.

Conversely, I think some of these MLS coaches would be awful in a less restricted league.

Oldtimer
04-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I think if either Carver or MoJo have to go, they'll both go. MLSE will clean house and we'll look at other options. I'd suggest Central/South America... but I think we're speculating a lil prematurely.

It's too early to spring the trap door. End of this season IS the time, should it be necessary. However, if you take RSL as an example (maybe the ultimate example in MLS), after 3 years of futility they fired their GM AND their coach and made the playoffs in year 4.

However, we're actually AHEAD of least year at this point in time. It's just that with the addition of DeRo, expectations have grown even more.

LucaGol
04-12-2009, 03:57 PM
John Limniatis looked like a very good coach at the beginning of the CCL, however his credibility was severely damaged by the 5-2 meltdown by Montreal (and it could have easily been 10-2) in Mexico. For a team like TFC that has a problem with conceding late goals (and that's actually the team's biggest issue), adding John Limniatis would be like pouring gasoline on a raging fire.

His credibility was severely damaged over 1 game?

I don't think so.

rocker
04-12-2009, 04:02 PM
coaches coming into MLS from other leagues are already disadvantaged. If this league worked like most others, I'm sure both Carver and Mo, would have done much better.

As it is, I don't believe that Guus Hiddink, Rafael Benitez or Jose mourinho would do well here, at least for about three years.

None of those guys have to worry about salary caps, shallow talent pools, domestic players, senior and youth designations, allocation money, international scheduling conflicts and a limit to 24 players on the squad.

Conversely, I think some of these MLS coaches would be awful in a less restricted league.

i agree. we've seen time and again that foreign coaches have a long adjustment period.

if and when TFC ever gets another coach (I don't think that should be assessed until season 3 is over) then it better be somebody who's coached in this league and had some success.... I don't want a guy who's figuring MLS out.

to the author of this thread..... Limniatis? Well Montreal did well, but Montreal also has kept together a core group of players for many years.

Montreal was a good team before Limniatis showed up, and a good team after.

That helps, and brings chemistry. I'd like to see him coach a team other than Montreal to see if it's him or his team.

trane
04-12-2009, 10:18 PM

You may be right about this. This league puzzles me, is the best way to put it.

Jeffro
04-12-2009, 10:28 PM
What's Frank Rijkaard up to these days? :noidea:

seriously though, I'm not going to throw Carver under the bus yet.

WaitingListSuck
04-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Well... Otto Regelle did help the Greeks to a championship in 2004 so y not help TFC to a Championship

eh eh whos with me lol

Shway
04-12-2009, 11:09 PM
One day were praising the guy, and making T-Shirts,
the next were asking about available managers?
lol

Shway
04-12-2009, 11:10 PM
wouldnt be surprised , Chants will go from "John Carvers all red army" to "your getting sacked in the morning"

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 11:27 PM
One day were praising the guy, and making T-Shirts,
the next were asking about available managers?
lol

Newcomer eh?

welcome to the board!

Cashcleaner
04-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I agree that Limniatis could potentially do very well in MLS. I'm still a Carver supporter, but I know he's far from perfect and maybe if our downward trend continues he should be sent packing - along with Mo. Carver deserves so more time to try to get into the groove of things, but I think Mo has overstayed his welcome.

Would I be receptive to Limniatis coming to Toronto as Head Coach? Yes. Though it would be with cautious optimism.

trane
04-13-2009, 06:23 AM
My thing is Carver shuold be given some more time, but I hope that he is not given all season, if the signs are clear that we are not moving in the right direction. That has been my position all along, it is not I love Carver one day, and I hate Carver the next. I like what Carver says, and what he is trying to do, but at some point he has to deliver.

Shakes McQueen
04-13-2009, 06:33 AM
What's Frank Rijkaard up to these days? :noidea:

seriously though, I'm not going to throw Carver under the bus yet.

There's been talk of Frank going to Chelsea and AC Milan, among others.

- Scott

trane
04-13-2009, 06:35 AM
^ That must have been started by his agent.

Shakes McQueen
04-13-2009, 06:41 AM
^ That must have been started by his agent.

Yeah, just the usual hurricane of names flying around any notable and available manager. :D

- Scott

fetajr
04-13-2009, 09:41 AM
...Many say a coach with MLS experince, ....

this shouldn't be a requirement. If the coach is good, then he's good.

its the same when people suggest a world class coach for Canada... he doesn't need concacaf experience...if he has conmebol or uefa experience, then that will be fine; those confederations are stronger than concacaf.

fetajr
04-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Limniatis. YES!

he turned average joe's into winners in Montreal... he can do the same in toronto.

Oldtimer
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Limniatis. YES!

he turned average joe's into winners in Montreal... he can do the same in toronto.

The fact that Limniatis could do wonders with the likes of Braz is what makes people think he has potential.

However, I can't get out of my mind that shameful second-half collapse of MTL in Mexico. Whoever watched that game would be shaking their head. The Impact looked like an U-14 Rep team, not the professionals that they are.

Sullivan
04-13-2009, 10:31 AM
When the time comes, here's my .02 cents:
Sasho Cirovski & Bob Gansler.

Both have been very successful in the NCAA.
Maryland's success is a result of Cirovski's influence. Maryland and the ACC are top of the heap with all MLS coaches when it comes to the draft. These are facts, not opinions. And both men have extensive and exclusive networks.

They have a history together - as an assistant coach under Bob Gansler at Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I think he was also Bob's assistant when both were with Milwaukee for a season or two in the National Professional Soccer League. Cirovski is a Windsor Ontario boy, whose first coaching gig was in the Canadian Soccer League.

In 1997, Cirovski was an assistant coach of the US U-17 WC - Egypt, September of 1997. He also assisted with previous U20 national teams, so he's in the high level loop at the USSF. SC is very driven - he knows he's not at the front of the line for the US top job; that's Sigi. But he needs to start thinking about an MLS gig and professional experience.

Gansler has TFC season 1 experience to draw upon; his relationship with Mo went south, so Bob opted out.

Here's another way to look at it.
MLS is an American league dominated by American players; so is the NCAA. Cirovski has done very well at intergrating foreign players into his Maryland roster. Given the increased resources, a more global field of player selection, Cirovski doesn't all of a sudden forget or abondon a methodology that brought him success. At worst he makes modifications for the transition of pro football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Gansler
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasho_Cirovski

rocker
04-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Limniatis. YES!

he turned average joe's into winners in Montreal...

Montreal were winners long before Limniatis showed up. He didn't "turn them into winners".

They actually finished higher in the USL before Limniatis took over.

Detroit_TFC
04-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Thinking about managerial changes in the last several years, very few of them have made a positive impact. Probably the most successful one recently has been Jason Kreis at RSL, maybe Preki at CUSA. Smith in Colorado is showing promise, the Rapids were so awful that mediocre would be a step up for them. But Hamlett in Chicago, Osorio in NJRB, Yallop then Arena (so far) in LA, Hyndeman in Dallas, terrible, in terms of results for the team (I'm sure they are all very nice people). I'm sure people can add others to this list.

Changing managers doesn't appear to be the shortcut to success in MLS for established teams. I'm not ready at the beginning of season three to say that we are an established team yet, so theres that too.

trane
04-13-2009, 08:55 PM
^ We are not an established team, as you say, we are still layingl the fundations of our franchise. I just want to make sure that they are laid right. If hope that Mo and Carver can do it properly, if not and a change is to be made we need to make sure the fundation/direction is there for long lasting success.

arbogast
04-14-2009, 06:24 AM
The thing about Liminatis is that he knows how to get the players organized defensively, something neither Mo, and now JC can't seem to do.

trane
04-14-2009, 09:09 AM
^ That is why if we make the change he is the name that comes up, it is possible, and he can organize and imperfect roster to be solid defensively, while being able to put on an organized coutner attack. If the team is organized, I belive that Guevarra, DeRo, Vitti and Dichio can themselves create enough offensive power.

But others have put up many other interesting and plausible names.

Arnie Knows
04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
I feel Like the FO has no clue about football for the most part..

Mo and Carver have not proven anything as far as winning goes and this year is off to a Shit start already ..
there should be a small window given to trun things around but I agree to maybe cut bait and reload with a new coach and manager..