PDA

View Full Version : Barrett VS Vitti The Uneven Fight to start

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Some of you love barrett, some of you don't. Still How ANYONE on this board can still favor him to start over Vitti is mind Boggling so, lets take a look back on both of there previous performances...

Week 1- @ KC
Barrett Starts , Chokes Horribly Passing the ball to the keeper. works hard but dosent really get anything useful done.

Vitti- Dosent get the start.

Week 2 @ Shithole :D
Barrett- leeches off of vitti , more like a ghost.

Vitti- Hardest working player on the team. Lunging in for tackles , winning the ball back after other lost it. Creating chances. had some nice flick ons too.

Week 3 @ home v seattle.

Barrett- no comment. horrible

Vitti- Definitley earned this start. Again showed his determination and was the best offensive player for tfc .

Week 4 @ home (yesterday)

Barrett- Starts , Chokes on a open header and a couple others. Dosent play well.

Vitti- Gets subbed late in DEFINITLEY Deserved to start.

in conclusion. Why Does Carver Favour Barrett over Vitti?

Barrett continues to miss easy chances and not play well. Yet we knew that before we signed him.. HE CHOKES ALL THE TIME AND LOOSES THE BALL HOW , as a tfc supporter can this board NOT be furious . How can anyone in there right mind Support Barrett starting.

Vitti on the other hand has worked hard , making defenders work against him, he creates chances and dances around other teams defenders. Does Vitti have to choke on something to start? I have lost faith In Carver. Especially when it seems he favours players based on the nationality of the player.

Please if there is any evidence that barrett should be starting over Vitti do share it. Vitti OUTWORKED barrett in columbus. and at the home opener. ....

Im not all for vitti. Im all for TFC winning and as it stands Barrett shouldnt be seeing the light of day. Cut the crap Carver.:mad: on that note Velez , buddy you should be in there too ;)

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 02:59 PM
cut one, bench the other. Put Dichio in front of Dero and Guevara.

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:11 PM
cut one, bench the other. Put Dichio in front of Dero and Guevara.

what a joke , do you hate vitti because he was the best on TFC two of the games he started? why do you hate Vitti ?

Carter
04-12-2009, 03:16 PM
what a joke , do you hate vitti because he was the best on TFC two of the games he started? why do you hate Vitti ?

Vitti is by FAR NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT the best on TFC of the two games he started.

We have much better skilled players than Vitti, Vitti looks lost on the field, hes not completely there yet he still needs to work into the team.

Barrett has the experience with the guys, Vitti not so much. It will all come in time. Once everyone starts to GEL alittle better.

Vitti is just a loan player, hes not a keeper. Hes only here Temporary, which is not what we need in a player, because if hes not playing for a contract, why is he really playing?

and whats with your hard-on for Vitti? Do you have a man-crush?

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Vitti is by FAR NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT the best on TFC of the two games he started.

We have much better skilled players than Vitti, Vitti looks lost on the field, hes not completely there yet he still needs to work into the team.

Barrett has the experience with the guys, Vitti not so much. It will all come in time. Once everyone starts to GEL alittle better.

Vitti is just a loan player, hes not a keeper. Hes only here Temporary, which is not what we need in a player, because if hes not playing for a contract, why is he really playing?

and whats with your hard-on for Vitti? Do you have a man-crush?

More like a tfc hard on that is going limp. TBH anyone other than choke barrett would be nice ATM. :D

Carter
04-12-2009, 03:24 PM
More like a tfc hard on that is going limp. TBH anyone other than choke barrett would be nice ATM. :D

I don't hear you talking smack about anyone else whos choked in the last couple games, RICKETTS!

The boys just need to get their heads back in it, Barretta is good guy, he might just alot on his mind thats all.

:rolleyes:

FluSH
04-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm starting to believe Vitti is injured... more so than we think.

poppamidnight
04-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Okay one thing that's really pissing me off lately is talk about the need for a top striker/bringing in a DP striker

HAVE PEOPLE FORGOT WE HAVE O'BRIAN WHITE COMING?!?!?!?!

Our depth-chart when everyone's HEALTHY (may be reason Vitti hasn't played lots early) could be this:
1 - White
2 - Vitti
3 - Chad
4 - Dichio
5 - The man formerly known as "Ibbe"

Chad's sucks right now....he's in a slump....the kind of slum Chicago inevitably knew all about (hence wanting to trade him to us), but to be honest im not that worried

I don't think we realistically view Chad as our top-striker in the long run (or for that matter top-2)
He's an injury replacement - and i honestly believe we're showcasing (or at least ATTEMPTING TO) him for when White and Vitti reach 100% healthy status - at which time he'll get dealt

trane
04-12-2009, 03:25 PM
^
Flush,

You must be right. There is not other explenations, unless Carver is blind, or going for the first overall pick again.

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 03:26 PM

Do you hate rational debate? why do you hate rational discussion so much?

Vitti was great, but he should come on later on when the opposition are worn down. Dichio should be wearing them down for the first sixty minutes by holding up the ball and laying it off to proven goalscorers like DeRo and Guevara.

Rational discussion is excellent btw, you see how it works?

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't hear you talking smack about anyone else whos choked in the last couple games, RICKETTS!

The boys just need to get their heads back in it, Barretta is good guy, he might just alot on his mind thats all.

ohh well if i didnt make it clear Ricketts isint a forward =P

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Funny how, the player changes his name , yet we still call him Ibee :D

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm starting to believe Vitti is injured... more so than we think.
ala the limping segment on tfc tv? i though he was just scratching his leg :noidea:

Benficachop20
04-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Barrett should not be starting, Vitti or Dichio or maybe both at the same time. Just no Barrett. Although judging by Carvers press conference after the match, it seems like we will continue to see Barrett starting :(

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Funny how, the player changes his name , yet we still call him Ibee :D

That's cause he didnt change the 'Ibrahim' part.

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Barrett should not be starting, Vitti or Dichio or maybe both at the same time. Just no Barrett. Although judging by Carvers press conference after the match, it seems like we will continue to see Barrett starting :(
if that is the case , i dont want to watch another loss @ dallas , funny i actually saw this comming :eek:

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
That's cause he didnt change the 'Ibrahim' part.

Curious why did he change his name :noidea:

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 03:32 PM
maybe he wanted to sound more badass?

FluSH
04-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Curious why did he change his name :noidea:

From what I heard:

He Changed it out of respect for his mother. His Mother caught wind that we were calling him 'Ibby' which in his Mother's view was derogatory to his Muslim name. Out of Respect to his mother he went with Faud... hoping that we will call him Faud instead.

This is what I've heard. and I could be completely wrong.

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:37 PM
hm , yet we still call him ibee ... well can be honest. when i saw that name i thought we had signed his brother or something .....

FluSH
04-12-2009, 03:39 PM
hm , yet we still call him ibee ... well can be honest. when i saw that name i thought we had signed his brother or something .....

I'm doing my best to call him Faud. Met his family in KC.. they were with us in the supporters area.... great people.

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 03:39 PM
From what I heard:

He Changed it out of respect for him mother. His Mother caught wind that we were calling him 'Ibby' which in his mother's view was derogatory to his Muslim name. Out of Respect to his mother he went with Faud... hoping that we will call him Faud instead.

This is what I've heard. and I could be completely wrong.

But Ibee is short for Ibrahim, not Abbe.

Otherwise we'd be calling him Abby!

If he starts scoring for fun, I'll call him whatever the fuck he wants me to call him though.

FluSH
04-12-2009, 03:43 PM
But Ibee is short for Ibrahim, not Abbe.

Otherwise we'd be calling him Abby!

If he starts scoring for fun, I'll call him whatever the fuck he wants me to call him though.

Hey man... maybe he thought we didn't call him by his first name because we couldn't pronounce it.

I know one guy who is named Mohammed and goes by Mo, but others would find a huge offense to that.

I'm calling him Faud... airing in the side of caution.

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Hey man... maybe he thought we didn't call him by his first name because we couldn't pronounce it.

I know one guy who is named Mohammed and goes by Mo, but others would find a huge offense to that.

now all thats needed is something that rhymes with Fuad.:noidea:

poppamidnight

Wow... My prince inferrence really took us off topic here

If you guys still wanna talk about Fuad - the reason I have him ranked bottom of our FW chart is simply due to the fact I see carver using him out wide and replacing Ricketts

But doesn't change my stance that our top-2 strikers will be White + Vitti once their healthy

So basically this whole Barret debate seems useless until then

It's simply a matter of 'waiting it out' for those injuries to come through

Calvin
When Dichio went on it was like we were on a power play,

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:49 PM

oh NO not the Hockey association if anyone watched the seattle kc game you would understand me.... the fkin commentator tried to explain the man short as a hockey penalty .......:mad:

Calvin
04-12-2009, 03:54 PM
ok buddy, it was like they had a red card. but 1 red card is way different than a man down on a 5 man team. as far as ratios are concerned, i meant to express, its more like, in soccer, 3 or 4 men down.

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:56 PM
ok buddy, it was like they had a red card. but 1 red card is way different than a man down on a 5 man team. as far as ratios are concerned, i meant to express, its more like, in soccer, 3 or 4 men down.
hey hey dont get all work up dude:D:drinking:

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Barretta is good guy, he might just alot on his mind thats all.

Yeah, I've got a lot on my mind too.

Like, when the fuck is carver going to wake up and put the team's top scorer out on the fucking field at kick off, instead of this underachiever?

If he's got a lot on his mind, he should see a shrink and stay off the pitch until he snaps the fuck out of it. His misses aren't just one offs or 'bad-day' mistakes, they are PAR FOR THE COURSE, and they are terrible misses.

rocker
04-12-2009, 03:57 PM

I didn't quite see it that way. TFC played better in the first half than second. Dichio was on in the second, even if the Dallas goal had nothing to do with Dichio.

I like Dichio, but in the Dallas game it's not like TFC got better when he came on. TFC had more real chances in the first half than the second... i like what he brings, don't get me wrong, but I didn't see a radical difference in yesterday's game (Dichio had a greater influence when he came on in previous matches tho).

BuSaPuNk
04-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Vitti has to be injured he just doesn't seem right when he has played. He seems when he has played that he isn't an all out striker and has more of a tendency of flick on's and trying to find the open man. If mabey they played DeRo up front with Vitti he could get on the end of some of the set ups. It's still early in the season for both Vitti and Barrett and really most of our midfield and up front havn't played together for a while. Let them get some experience together and they should get there shit together.

Shakes McQueen
04-12-2009, 05:23 PM
The simple explanation is that Carver has faith in Barrett. He said it himself in the post-game media scrum yesterday.

Arsene Wenger is basically in a similar situation with Nicklas Bendtner. Bendtner couldn't hit the ocean jumping out of a boat right now, but Wenger keeps playing him, because he says he has great faith in his abilities, and because giving up on him would essentially shatter what confidence he has left.

Some coaches just believe in letting players play through their "funks". That said, I personally think Vitti should get the nod in Dallas, as he earned it with his previous performances. I also think just sitting and watching for a match might be good for him mentally. Let him get the pressure off his shoulders for a game. But that is just me.

I still believe we will see much better from Barrett. The guy isn't a career zero goal scorer - he scored nine last season, between Chicago and Toronto. He's just having an awful start to his season, and he knows it. You can see it every time he slumps his shoulders in the wake of a squandered chance.

- Scott

Carter
04-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I've got a lot on my mind too.

Like, when the fuck is carver going to wake up and put the team's top scorer out on the fucking field at kick off, instead of this underachiever?

If he's got a lot on his mind, he should see a shrink and stay off the pitch until he snaps the fuck out of it. His misses aren't just one offs or 'bad-day' mistakes, they are PAR FOR THE COURSE, and they are terrible misses.

Actually if i remember correctly Barrett, was TFC's Top Scorer last year, and hes got the most goals overall as well....

Calvin
04-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Actually if i remember correctly Barrett, was TFC's Top Scorer last year, and hes got the most goals overall as well....

danny d is our top scorer with 11.

Carter
04-12-2009, 05:53 PM
yeah, Barrett has 22 man...

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Danny starts, then Barrett and Vitti come on in the second half. At least for the upcoming game.

giambac
04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Some of you love barrett, some of you don't. Still How ANYONE on this board can still favor him to start over Vitti is mind Boggling so, lets take a look back on both of there previous performances...

Week 1- @ KC
Barrett Starts , Chokes Horribly Passing the ball to the keeper. works hard but dosent really get anything useful done.

Vitti- Dosent get the start.

Week 2 @ Shithole :D
Barrett- leeches off of vitti , more like a ghost.

Vitti- Hardest working player on the team. Lunging in for tackles , winning the ball back after other lost it. Creating chances. had some nice flick ons too.

Week 3 @ home v seattle.

Barrett- no comment. horrible

Vitti- Definitley earned this start. Again showed his determination and was the best offensive player for tfc .

Week 4 @ home (yesterday)

Barrett- Starts , Chokes on a open header and a couple others. Dosent play well.

Vitti- Gets subbed late in DEFINITLEY Deserved to start.

in conclusion. Why Does Carver Favour Barrett over Vitti?

Barrett continues to miss easy chances and not play well. Yet we knew that before we signed him.. HE CHOKES ALL THE TIME AND LOOSES THE BALL HOW , as a tfc supporter can this board NOT be furious . How can anyone in there right mind Support Barrett starting.

Vitti on the other hand has worked hard , making defenders work against him, he creates chances and dances around other teams defenders. Does Vitti have to choke on something to start? I have lost faith In Carver. Especially when it seems he favours players based on the nationality of the player.

Please if there is any evidence that barrett should be starting over Vitti do share it. Vitti OUTWORKED barrett in columbus. and at the home opener. ....

Im not all for vitti. Im all for TFC winning and as it stands Barrett shouldnt be seeing the light of day. Cut the crap Carver.:mad: on that note Velez , buddy you should be in there too ;)

The simple answer is that Carver has no clue waht he is doing.

Also in my opinion Barrett is as bad if not worse than Cunningham. And we have him for 4 more years!!!!!! WOW. Thanks Mo you useless excuse for a manager!!!!!

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 06:54 PM
The simple answer is that Carver has no clue waht he is doing.

Also in my opinion Barrett is as bad if not worse than Cunningham. And we have him for 4 more years!!!!!! WOW. Thanks Mo you useless excuse for a manager!!!!!

And that's why you're not our manager. :)

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 07:17 PM

You dont remember correctly.

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 07:19 PM
You dont remember correctly.

Well by far the most goals per game. If he were at Toronto the whole season he would've made the rest of our strikers look like midgets at a basketball game.

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 07:22 PM
yeah, Barrett has 22 man...

that's 22 career MLS goals.

This statistic means nothing, Cunningham had 93 of those when he joined us.

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Well by far the most goals per game. If he were at Toronto the whole season he would've made the rest of our strikers look like midgets at a basketball game.

No he wouldn't, he wasn't that good, and he still isn't.

Are you his brother?

Shakes McQueen
04-12-2009, 07:36 PM
that's 22 career MLS goals.

This statistic means nothing, Cunningham had 93 of those when he joined us.

Barrett had nine goals last season. Dichio had six.

Unless you mean goals in a TFC uniform, although I don't understand how that is any more relevant than career goals.

- Scott

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 07:37 PM
No he wouldn't, he wasn't that good, and he still isn't.

Are you his brother?

Time to bring in my handy dandy statistics.

Danny Dichio - 17 starts and 6 subs (23 games played) scoring 6 goals = 0.26 gpg

Rohan Ricketts - 26 starts and 1 sub (27 games played) scoring 4 goals = 0.15 gpg

Chad Barrett - 13 starts and 0 subs (13 games played) scoring 4 goals = 0.31 gpg

Everyone else on the squad scored 2 or less goals.

Now you can see Barrett's goals per game record destroys every other players' besides Dichio. You still think that he wasn't that good? He scored last year but he isn't scoring this year. We know he has the ability to score consistently, however he needs to get out of his mental drought before he can start scoring again.

Blizzard
04-12-2009, 08:00 PM
oh NO not the Hockey association if anyone watched the seattle kc game you would understand me.... the fkin commentator tried to explain the man short as a hockey penalty .......:mad:

LOL. Ya, I caught that too. He was aiming insultingly low. He obviously had a low opinion of his viewing/listening audience (he was on radio too).

robert32
04-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Barrett couldn't score in a french brothel with 10 bob bunged in his luggle

brad
04-12-2009, 08:02 PM

Unless you mean goals in a TFC uniform, although I don't understand how that is any more relevant than career goals.

- Scott

It's highly relevant. Depends very much on the service from the team. Look how Buddle did with Beckham providing.

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 08:10 PM
It's highly relevant. Depends very much on the service from the team. Look how Buddle did with Beckham providing.

But once again, take a look at the goals per game ratio. He had the highest on our beloved TFC last season.

OneLoveOneEric
04-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Neither Barrett nor Vitti have impressed me yet.
Wiki doesn't count for me.
Barrett hasn't looked the part, but somebody seems to believe in him.
Vitti hasn't had a chance yet, but really hasn't ever done anything that special in his past. I think he was basically a flyer Mo took hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.
But people billing him as a saviour are very premature.

J .
04-12-2009, 08:29 PM
While Barrett has not finished he is getting chances and making the defence work. Vitti still needs work and I am willing to give Barrett one or two more games. If he puts in a few of those chances and hes a hero, but right now hes as goat. Lets not get throw him under the bus just yet he really stretches the field for Guevara and DeRo with his pace and work ethic.

cmonyoureds
04-12-2009, 09:58 PM
While Barrett has not finished he is getting chances and making the defence work. Vitti still needs work and I am willing to give Barrett one or two more games. If he puts in a few of those chances and hes a hero, but right now hes as goat. Lets not get throw him under the bus just yet he really stretches the field for Guevara and DeRo with his pace and work ethic.

+1

If Barrett was getting 1 chance a game, it would be luck. He's getting way more than that. Somewhere there is a football talent. We're 4 games in and we're ready to cut him? Geez, I'm pretty sure a lot of strikers go through 4 games without a goal at some point.

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 10:23 PM

- Scott

I apologise.

Career goals are what's important here.

Dichio has 89 career goals

Benficachop20
04-12-2009, 11:43 PM
+1

If Barrett was getting 1 chance a game, it would be luck. He's getting way more than that. Somewhere there is a football talent. We're 4 games in and we're ready to cut him? Geez, I'm pretty sure a lot of strikers go through 4 games without a goal at some point.

The thing is i remember people saying the same thing about Cunningham. His speed was creating chances, just like Barretts work ethic, but wat is the point if ur not gonna make use of those chances? Do we have to suffer through another match seeing him missing another 2-3 sitters? I rather have a striker that gets hardly any chances but scores (ex. dichio), rather then one that gets a lot of chances and doesn't score.

Brooker
04-13-2009, 01:23 AM
are people going to throw things at me when i wear my Barrett jersey on the 22nd?

s2cazz
04-13-2009, 01:41 AM
Barrett is in a definate funk right now and needs to get the hell out of it!... There is tremendous potential there and I think him an Vitti will do well together. However he needs to be benched for Dichio or Ibby and subbed in until he can get out of his rut. Vitti is yet to really impress me, hopefully he wil do this soon. He seems to be a little uneasy and hesitant in this league and still has some adjusting to do himself. The end is not near... we have planty of time to make this up but we have to start soon!....
As for last year the only reason I think we did as well as we did was that it was hard to get by sutton... he made some tremendous saves that really save those boys asses I think that we are playing miles ahead of last year and the team looks much better

Oldtimer
04-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Vitti still has potential, he's a technical player, not used to the physicality of this league. We'll see if he adjusts. I'm hoping that he will.

Dale_Rojo
04-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Vitti still has potential, he's a technical player, not used to the physicality of this league. We'll see if he adjusts. I'm hoping that he will.
interesting you say that when he was the only one to create scoring chances out of nothing...:noidea:

brad
But once again, take a look at the goals per game ratio. He had the highest on our beloved TFC last season.

Cunningham's goals per game ratio for us was better than Dichio or Barrett.
The stats don't always tell the full story..

Barrett is not a good footballer, it's that simple. Dichio is better, but IMHO, he's not good enough. That is the problem.

Carter
I apologise.

Not in an MLS uniform, EPL, SPL, World Caps aren't in Question here..

Dichio only has 11 in the MLS

Not gunna lie, Love Dichio to no end, but the comparison just isn't there anymore.

Dichio can't play as long, the concussion last year totally F'ed him up. This year is his last, so lets just be happy hes with us for one more year..

As for Barretta, he'll come out of this funk, and everyone will be singing his praises once again.

Its frustrating how up and down people are on this board. If anyone needs to go its Ricketts, but wait, hes just having a couple bad games too...

As for the Barrett is WORSE than Cunningham... Are you special?:noidea:

InTheCrowd
04-13-2009, 09:03 AM
I apologise.

Alright let's just wait until Barrett becomes a geezer and then we'll carry on this discussion.

But seriously, Barrett had more goals than Dichio last season. Do you honestly think it's fare to compare Dichio's goals last season for TFC to Barrett's goals last season for TFC? Dichio played almost double the games Barrett did. Just look at Barrett's total season goals last season or goals per game ratio.

Carter
04-13-2009, 09:05 AM
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/tactical_facepalm.jpg

Yohan
04-13-2009, 09:12 AM
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/tactical_facepalm.jpg
I'll raise you a...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/EvilTree/Ugh.jpg

Pachuco
04-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Not in an MLS uniform, EPL, SPL, World Caps aren't in Question here..

Dichio only has 11 in the MLS

Not gunna lie, Love Dichio to no end, but the comparison just isn't there anymore.

Dichio can't play as long, the concussion last year totally F'ed him up. This year is his last, so lets just be happy hes with us for one more year..

As for Barretta, he'll come out of this funk, and everyone will be singing his praises once again.

Its frustrating how up and down people are on this board. If anyone needs to go its Ricketts, but wait, hes just having a couple bad games too...

As for the Barrett is WORSE than Cunningham... Are you special?:noidea:

You really haven't been reading this board lately, because there isn't many people backing up Ricketts. The same people that would like to see Barrett on the bench are the same ones that want to see Ricketts on the bench.

They are both underperforming and they both deserve to be benched.

Tezza
04-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Barret has zero confidence right now. How can you judge Vitti's performance when he's been playing along side Barret most of the time? Give Vitti a chance to play up top with Dero and if he sux then I'll buy into it the theory. At least Vitti put the ball in the net against Seattle when Danny D knocked it on...regardless of the fouled called on DD...Vitti put it away.

I'm not suggesting Barret be forgotten. I'm saying he shouldn't be starting. Bring him on after 60-70 mins after he's watched the game and seen how he can exploit the defence with the other striking partner. At the moment...the only thing that is obvious is that we look out best with Dero up front. Now why shouldn't Vitti have a shot playing along side him?

fetajr
04-13-2009, 09:27 AM
doesn't matter who they start...as long as Mo and Carver are running the show, this group of players will continue playing non-creative, boot it up the field, not more than 2 passes together, throw it into the box during every offensive throw in, running like dogs, clueless; style of football.

it'll get to a point where some players will eventually get sick of this, they might start tuning out the coach and become a problem. Mo will then send them packing.

Carter
04-13-2009, 09:30 AM
You really haven't been reading this board lately, because there isn't many people backing up Ricketts. The same people that would like to see Barrett on the bench are the same ones that want to see Ricketts on the bench.

They are both underperforming and they both deserve to be benched.

Actually i do read the boards alot, but i was being facetious.

I have confirmed reports from an unnamed source that Barrett will in fact NOT be starting on Sunday.

RealG-TFC
04-13-2009, 09:32 AM

lol in that case you should really spell it correctly, it's Fuad.

BTW Barret sucks, always really has. Since the day we got him i knew Chicago ripped us off. We should have demanded Mapp since they would not consider Rolfe.

InTheCrowd
04-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Well for the rights to McBride we got Barrett, 1st round draft pick and allocation money. Not bad considering McBride's age. I mean when you look at it it's not that bad. Last season Barrett scored 4 in the MLS (for TFC) and McBride scored 6. Then consider their salaries, McBride's is obviously much higher. Then we got allocation money and a 1st round draft pick. Plus we have Barrett long term who we can always trade while McBride is getting old.

Dale_Rojo
04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Trade Barrett and Johann away for a decent sub / starting striker, or for Allo. cash and an international spot, now all we need is to go to COLOMBIA AND FIND ANOTHER FKIN MONTERO ;)

Carter
04-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Trade Barrett and Johann away for a decent sub / starting striker, or for Allo. cash and an international spot, now all we need is to go to COLOMBIA AND FIND ANOTHER FKIN MONTERO ;)

We don't need a Montero, its not good to bring in negative press, especially pervet crap.

Because....

In the tune of Walking in a winter wonderland:
Freddy Montero he ain't playin
The police they are sayin

Dale_Rojo
04-13-2009, 04:41 PM
We don't need a Montero, its not good to bring in negative press, especially pervet crap.

Because....

In the tune of Walking in a winter wonderland:
Freddy Montero he ain't playin
The police they are sayin

Excuse me but, this whole situation seems like a bunch of perpetuated BS ...
Pervert Crap.? Montero is a good young kid. He is a good colombian kid at that.

In South America they raise there kids different , especially where He is From. To Speak to something you have no idea on...... these accusations totally contradict the values that he was raised with. These values are very specific to the area one is raised in and parents down there , unlike here make those values stick Very Clearly. Now i dont expect you to fully Understand or grasp this , as you are not from there. Nor Would i expect you to. However please understand that for these accusations to be true , it would mean that Montero went against everything he was raised with. and in Colombia that is a cardinal sin. Something only a Colombian , or someone who knows them would understand though. :canada:

Carter
04-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Excuse me but, this whole situation seems like a bunch of perpetuated BS ...
Pervert Crap.? Montero is a good young kid. He is a good colombian kid at that.

In South America they raise there kids different , especially where He is From. To Speak to something you have no idea on...... these accusations totally contradict the values that he was raised with. These values are very specific to the area one is raised in and parents down there , unlike here make those values stick Very Clearly. Now i dont expect you to fully Understand or grasp this , as you are not from there. Nor Would i expect you to. However please understand that for these accusations to be true , it would mean that Montero went against everything he was raised with. and in Colombia that is a cardinal sin. Something only a Colombian , or someone who knows them would understand though. :canada:

And thats why he was arrested for Sexual Assault so apparently some of it is true, and i guess it does go against the way he was raised.
Thats an big assumption that im not from there, but it is correct, and i do understand the way they were raised, probably just as well as i was raised, but then again i know not to force myself on Women.....

FluSH
04-13-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm taking a wild guess you are from Colombia Dale? Where abouts?

Dale_Rojo
04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm taking a wild guess you are from Colombia Dale? Where abouts?

No actually xD. Did live there though :D.

I am..................

Canadian! :canada::D

...... North Bogota. ;) Although Was nice to see Millios last year, too* bad it was pretty empty... you go?:rolleyes:

Dale_Rojo
04-13-2009, 04:56 PM
And thats why he was arrested for Sexual Assault so apparently some of it is true, and i guess it does go against the way he was raised.
Thats an big assumption that im not from there, but it is correct, and i do understand the way they were raised, probably just as well as i was raised, but then again i know not to force myself on Women.....

Its somewhat different than , the common knowing. I bet his Mom wants to whoop his ass bigtime ATM LOL:D Its a family thing tbh and its rather hard to relate to North American or even European culture. Carter , u a scot?:noidea:

james
04-13-2009, 04:59 PM
i know barrett is a pretty good player, but so far this year he has been choking on every chance he gets (. If i was in charge id bench him next game...Vitti has played better so far. Put Barrett back on the field once his got his mojo back.

Shakes McQueen
04-13-2009, 05:13 PM
I really hope Barrett can get his scoring touch going, because aside from that, his fundamental skills really are quite good, as others have mentioned.

He has a lot of upside, and could be an AMAZING complement to Vitti, if both get going. A big strong poacher in Barrett, and a smaller technically skilled striker in Vitti.

With Dichio on the verge of retirement, we really need Barrett to come into that role more.

I also have to say I'm intrigued by the idea some of you have mentioned, about having Barrett play as more of a withdrawn second striker, similar to what DeRo has played in a few of our matches - more of a set-up man, than a pure goal scorer.

- Scott

MisterMacphisto
04-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Barret just needs to break the seal, so to speak. It will be like having a huge dump, and he can relax a little.

This Saturday, he'll score one for sure.

Kevvv
04-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Barret just needs to break the seal, so to speak. It will be like having a huge dump, and he can relax a little.

This Saturday, he'll score one for sure.

'Zactly right. Once he pops one, they'll come alot easier. I remember this one guy, supposed to be a great goal scorer, he appeared 16 times and only scored 3. Then he gets traded and bags 5 easily.

TFC USA
04-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Enough of the coddling of Barrett.

He's a professional footballer and he's trained his whole life to put the ball into the net, have a good first touch, and have great chemistry with his teammates. He has 1 out of 3 going since he's been in the MLS. He's a horrible first touch and he's got this scoring drought.

I guarantee many of the Barrett defenders are the ones who defended Lombardo and Cunningham. Stop this "He'll get out of it" when we're in the middle of a 3 game winless streak in our most important season to date.

Bench this man and give Vitti a chance.

Pachuco
04-13-2009, 05:49 PM

You ignorant fuck. The guy has not been charged with a single thing. Atleast wait until he's been charged and found guilty. Show me a link that shows he's been arrested?

RealG-TFC
04-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Its somewhat different than , the common knowing. I bet his Mom wants to whoop his ass bigtime ATM LOL:D Its a family thing tbh and its rather hard to relate to North American or even European culture. Carter , u a scot?:noidea:

Bringing "family values" into this really isn't the way to approach it Dale. i could easily argue that the crime rate in Colombia is through the roof compared to Canada and that Canada did not/(does not :noidea:) have the problem of paramilitaries, guerrillas, drug cartels, severely crooked politicians, etc...yet their "family values" are more strict hence they are incapable of sexual assault.

I have never met Fredy Montero but from the little I know of him, I can believe he did this.

NB. ^^ Does not mean I think he did.

Pachuco
04-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Bringing "family values" into this really isn't the way to approach it Dale. i could easily argue that the crime rate in Colombia is through the roof compared to Canada and that Canada did not/(does not :noidea:) have the problem of paramilitaries, guerrillas, drug cartels, severely crooked politicians, etc...yet their "family values" are more strict hence they are incapable of sexual assault.

I have never met Fredy Montero but from the little I know of him, I can believe he did this.

NB. ^^ Does not mean I think he did.

Anybody can do something like that. Age, race, culture, up bringing, it doesn't matter. It's a sickness if you ask me. Dale, you really are approaching this the wrong way.

TFC USA
04-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Get this back on topic please.

Kevvv
04-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Not coddling Barrett, and I never cared for or about Lombardo. But check the stats - Barrett had 9 goals last year, 7 the year before, and 5 in 16 games the year before. DeRo got 7 last year, and 6 the year before. So I'm saying he has scored before and will score again. I'd rather it be for us than against us.

That said, I have no problem with him watching from the sidelines while Vitti gets some starts.

Shakes McQueen
04-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Enough of the coddling of Barrett.

He's a professional footballer and he's trained his whole life to put the ball into the net, have a good first touch, and have great chemistry with his teammates. He has 1 out of 3 going since he's been in the MLS. He's a horrible first touch and he's got this scoring drought.

I guarantee many of the Barrett defenders are the ones who defended Lombardo and Cunningham. Stop this "He'll get out of it" when we're in the middle of a 3 game winless streak in our most important season to date.

Bench this man and give Vitti a chance.

I thought Lombardo and Cunny were both useless. Cunny more than Lombardo, because he actually got a lot of playing time.

It's not a matter of coddling anybody. Strikers can lose confidence in themselves. It happens.

- Scott

TFC USA
04-13-2009, 06:21 PM
I thought Lombardo and Cunny were both useless. Cunny more than Lombardo, because he actually got a lot of playing time.

It's not a matter of coddling anybody. Strikers can lose confidence in themselves. It happens.

- Scott

Well he's going to have to wait. If he's going to come on this Saturday we're going to have to be up or down 4-0.

Give Vitti the start.

Shakes McQueen
04-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Well he's going to have to wait. If he's going to come on this Saturday we're going to have to be up or down 4-0.

Give Vitti the start.

I agree with you. I don't support continuing to play Barrett every week, I just don't support giving up on him. He needs to sit for a week or two at least.

Give Vitti a full 90 minutes, and see how he works out. Lord knows we are paying him regular-starter money.

- Scott

TFC USA
04-13-2009, 06:31 PM
I agree with you. I don't support continuing to play Barrett every week, I just don't support giving up on him. He needs to sit for a week or two at least.

Give Vitti a full 90 minutes, and see how he works out. Lord knows we are paying him regular-starter money.

- Scott

Weird, we agreed on something and I didn't have to call you names at all? Don't you wish some users were like that? ;)

I don't know what it is about FC Dallas. Every game we've played them there has been a goal in the final 10 minutes of the match.

Shakes McQueen
04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Weird, we agreed on something and I didn't have to call you names at all? Don't you wish some users were like that? ;)

I don't know what it is about FC Dallas. Every game we've played them there has been a goal in the final 10 minutes of the match.

I can respectfully disagree with all kinds of people. It's just when folks start to insinuate, or outright state that I (or others) don't know our asses from our elbows about football, because we have a contrary opinion, that I get irritated.

You're not one of those people though. As far as I can remember, anyway. :D

- Scott

TFCREDNWHITE
04-13-2009, 09:25 PM
How come Vitti didn't start?? Is it a possible injury?

InTheCrowd
04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
How come Vitti didn't start?? Is it a possible injury?

Well he has been wearing that knee brace, but apparently it's for comfort and has nothing to do with a possible injury.

Darlofletch
04-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Ideally we'll be able to find a way to get both of them in the lineup. Though it certainly hasn't happened yet this season, Barrett's our best bet at forward to score a bunch of goals.

Dichio's your classic big bruising centre forward who causes problems for the defence, chips in with the odd goal here and there, but would ideally be used to create chances for a goal poacher type, ie Emile Heskey to Michael Owen.

Vitti looks tricky and skillful but his record with other clubs and the little action he's got with us certainly don't lead me to think he'll be a good goalscorer, if he played all 30 games I would be absolutely stunned if he scored 10 goals. He's a more subtle creator of chances for a goal poacher type, ie Peter Beardsley to Gary Lineker. (Apologies for the england-centric references).

Unfortunately Barrett's a long way from Lineker or Owen, but apparently he's a streaky scorer so i'd stick with him for another game or two and hope he gets on a roll, because even at their best I can't see either Dichio or Vitti being the consistent scorer we need. Hopefully White can eventually fill that role.

Not sure who I'd take out to get them both in there, probably Ibrahim from the Dallas lineup, we certainly need to keep Cronin to cover up for Wynne's massive defensive deficiencies.

cmonyoureds
04-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Well he has been wearing that knee brace, but apparently it's for comfort and has nothing to do with a possible injury.

It looks suspiciously like the ones people wear when having trouble/ after having fixed an ACL/MCL.

Carter
04-14-2009, 08:00 AM

Scottish/Ukrainian ......

Dale, http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=990142 ;)

Calvin
04-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Our depth-chart when everyone's HEALTHY (may be reason Vitti hasn't played lots early) could be this:
1 - White
2 - Vitti
3 - Chad
4 - Dichio

Uh, no. Have you forgot O'brien White is a rookie, Fuad is proven and unanimously considered better, except for by you.

Carter
04-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Uh, no. Have you forgot O'brien White is a rookie, Fuad is proven and unanimously considered better, except for by you.

Its our depth chart, if everyone is healthy those are who can play striker...

trane
04-14-2009, 09:14 AM
What reasons do we have to believe that White would be our top striker? I hope he becomes our top striker, but how do we know that he will?

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 09:20 AM
What reasons do we have to believe that White would be our top striker? I hope he becomes our top striker, but how do we know that he will?

there is no reason. People have their head in the clouds, they really do.

The only proven striker on that list comes in at number 4...go figure.

ryencoke
04-14-2009, 09:23 AM
It looks suspiciously like the ones people wear when having trouble/ after having fixed an ACL/MCL.

I've been wondering about that for a while myself.

White has potential, but you have to wonder how he will come back from the injury, I've played with guys that had that kind of injury before that just never fully get their head back in the game.

As much as people want to blame Barrett for the lack of goals, he's trying. The bottom line is that he needs a solid strike partner to make him effective.

Is that Vitti? White? Danny? Someone else? :noidea:

I do like the partnering of Vitti and Barrett together though.

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 09:25 AM
? :noidea:

I do like the partnering of Vitti and Barrett together though.

They weren't effective together.

Dichio at least knows how to get the ball to Vitti, and draw away his markers.

trane
04-14-2009, 09:26 AM
there is no reason. People have their head in the clouds, they really do.

The only proven striker on that list comes in at number 4...go figure.

Thanks for saying it, I am tiered of harping on it, people seem to value all the wrong things. For me it is about results. Dichio delivers results.

Tezza
04-14-2009, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't put White as our top striker however given that Frei and Cronin are two of our better players so far this year and are straight out of the draft....I am interested to see how White will do.

I think my biggest concern with Fuad as a striker or a winger is he is way too soft. He goes into tackles like a cotton ball trying to break a window. I know he is young but he needs to play with more drive or he will never make it in my book.

trane
04-14-2009, 09:29 AM
They weren't effective together.

Dichio at least knows how to get the ball to Vitti, and draw away his markers.

I assume that Vitti is injured, so maybe that is why Carver is not using him. What his problem with Dichio is, I still cannot figure out. But to me that is the most effective pair up front. It seems so clear, but I seem to be in the minority just like you.

ryencoke
04-14-2009, 09:30 AM
[quote=ExiledRed;469339]They weren't effective together.[\quote]

You are basing that on what? The games played this season no one up top has looked strong.

As much as everyone loves Danny he's not going to be around much longer and probably isn't capable of playing a full 90 anymore.

Carver has something in mind, should be interesting to see how things play out for another game or two

OneLoveOneEric
04-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Who is White? What does anybody know about him?
For God's sake -- the desperation is getting ridiculous. Vitti will win the golden boot. Sure he will. O'Brien White will knock in 30. Right.
Who the hell knows right now? We've got sweet FA to go on about either of these guys, except that neither one has done much or anything at a high level.
Put Danny on the field. It's so simple.

trane
04-14-2009, 09:45 AM
^ Again it would seem to be so simple. But apparantly not. Carver is stiking with Barrett, even the article by Nigel Reed, mentions that he believes in him. Clearly he does not believe in Dichio.

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 09:49 AM
^ Again it would seem to be so simple. But apparantly not. Carver is stiking with Barrett, even the article by Nigel Reed, mentions that he believes in him. Clearly he does not believe in Dichio.

He didn't believe in Dichio at the start of last season either, and that may have cost us the 4 points we needed to get into the playoffs.

Shaughno
04-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Or Dichio doesn't believe in himself. For all we know, he could have told Carver... "Look, I can't play 60 mins anymore, nevermind a full game"... or "I'd rather finish the last 20-30 mins of the game, then start the game"

Who knows? We sure don't, the assumptions from both sides of the argument are hilarious though.

My preference, would be to start Dichio and Vitti. At half, or soon there after bring on Ibrahim or Barrett.

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Or Dichio doesn't believe in himself. For all we know, he could have told Carver... "Look, I can't play 60 mins anymore, nevermind a full game"... or "I'd rather finish the last 20-30 mins of the game, then start the game"

If that's true he should be cut from the team.

Shaughno
04-14-2009, 09:55 AM
:lol: Lace'm up Mo, you're all we got.

OneLoveOneEric
04-14-2009, 09:56 AM
If that's true he should be cut from the team.

Precisely. Imagine having a guy on your team who vocally didn't want to start?
Absurd.

Shaughno
04-14-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm just saying, assumptions are assumptions. Doesn't matter which side of the fence they fall on. :lol:

Danny visibly doesn't have the gas to play a full game. That much is evident. I remember him saying (last year I think) that his body was taking a toll and it takes much longer for him to recouperate. Maybe Carver is just trying to preserve Danny for as long as possible? Who knows.

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Precisely. Imagine having a guy on your team who vocally didn't want to start?
Absurd.

The fact that Danny is still on the squad is what tells me that this theory is poor.

With our depth and squad limitations we can't afford anybody who cant go the distance. I also believe that if Danny felt he couldn't continue he would have retired, like he said he would.

Shaughno
04-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Look, I want to see Danny play as much as you do. He's been our only consistant option up front. I'm just saying that there may be more factors behind him not starting, then just Carver not liking him.

Like I said, assumptions are assumptions.

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm just saying, assumptions are assumptions. Doesn't matter which side of the fence they fall on. :lol:

Danny visibly doesn't have the gas to play a full game. That much is evident. I remember him saying (last year I think) that his body was taking a toll and it takes much longer for him to recouperate. Maybe Carver is just trying to preserve Danny for as long as possible? Who knows.

He said his legs arent what they used to be.

If you asked Schelotto, Giggsy or Blanco they'd probably say the same thing.

The visibility of Danny's gas-o-meter is a mystery to me, does he have an energy bar over his head like in video games? He hasn't had enough minutes to visibly be anything.

trane
04-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Shags,

That is what I thought at first, but then what is the point of this. What is the point of bringing him in so late in games, were he hardly has a chance to do anything. Do you realy want to preserve him to play 10 minutes a game all season long?

If he cannot play one full game, what is the point.

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Look, I want to see Danny play as much as you do. He's been our only consistant option up front. I'm just saying that there may be more factors behind him not starting, then just Carver not liking him.

Like I said, assumptions are assumptions.

Again, if there are mitigiating factors that are preventing Danny from being any use to us, he should be off the squad.

Shaughno
04-14-2009, 10:08 AM
He said his legs arent what they used to be.

If you asked Schelotto, Giggsy or Blanco they'd probably say the same thing.

The visibility of Danny's gas-o-meter is a mystery to me, does he have an energy bar over his head like in video games? He hasn't had enough minutes to visibly be anything.

He's played 80 mins in 4 games. 20 mins a game on average, one of those was definitely much less than 20 mins. If he's not busting his balls (as much as his body will let him) for the whole time, it leads me to believe he's either gassed, or he's giving up too easily. With Danny, I can hardly see it being the latter.

My $0.02

Shaughno
04-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Shags,

That is what I thought at first, but then what is the point of this. What is the point of bringing him in so late in games, were he hardly has a chance to do anything. Do you realy want to preserve him to play 10 minutes a game all season long?

If he cannot play one full game, what is the point.

I don't know whether he can or not, only Danny could answer that. What is the point? Well, if we can't fill his spot with someone more effective... he can still do his job, as a sub, as we've seen.

Again, if there are mitigiating factors that are preventing Danny from being any use to us, he should be off the squad.

Who's saying no use? Not me, I'm saying if he can't play a full 90 without being gassed, he can still be used effectively as a sub can he not?

trane
04-14-2009, 10:11 AM
^ But why would he be gassed? He is not 53, he is 33 and has been traing all along, why would be so out of shape?

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Who's saying no use? Not me, I'm saying if he can't play a full 90 without being gassed, he can still be used effectively as a sub can he not?

On Manchester Utd. sure.

On an MLS team with depth problems, a tight salary cap and a 24 man limit, no fucking way.

trane
04-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Even Inzaghi is asked to put in a full game once in a while. I have hard time believgin Dichio cannot. I am not saying you are wrong Shags, but we need him on the field more not less, I think you agree.

Shaughno
04-14-2009, 10:14 AM
^ But why would he be gassed? He is not 53, he is 33 and has been traing all along, why would be so out of shape?

I dunno. He shouldn't be, but he's slow to start and if he's not got any energy in his legs... it's going to effect his game for sure. Again, I'm just speculating possible scenarios here.

On Manchester Utd. sure.

On an MLS team with depth problems, a tight salary cap and a 24 man limit, no fucking way.

So you're saying we should cut him and stick with the young unproven strikers we have, instead of keeping him as a sub option? If he can't play the full 90 that is.

backbeat
04-14-2009, 10:15 AM
i ha ven't seen any issue with Danny when he's on the pitch so i don't get the big deal over this. he's older and best used as a sub - period. we're supposed to have strikers who can last 90 and we do. barrett's not producing, which is obvious and i agree bench him for a bit. i'd love to see Vitti in there with Dero - there's nothing wrong with having a Danny that plays 20 minutes, it's done in sports all the time - he has experience and skills that are useful at particular times in the match - happens in hockey all the time with playres who used to play 30 plus minutes in their prime and whne older are used for 9 because of their knowledge, experience and skill.

Shaughno
04-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Even Inzaghi is asked to put in a full game once in a while. I have hard time believgin Dichio cannot. I am not saying you are wrong Shags, but we need him on the field more not less, I think you agree.

For sure I agree. I just won't 'accept' that Carver doesn't like Dichio, as the only possible reason why he's not getting minutes.

Shaughno
04-14-2009, 10:16 AM
he's older and best used as a sub - period. we're supposed to have strikers who can last 90 and we do. barrett's not producing, which is obvious and i agree bench him for a bit. i'd love to see Vitti in there with Dero - there's nothing wrong with having a Danny that plays 20 minutes, it's done in sports all the time - he has experience and skills that are useful at particular times in the match - happens in hockey all the time with playres who used to play 30 plus minutes in their prime and whne older are used for 9 because of their knowledge, experience and skill.

EXACTLY what I was getting at.

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 10:18 AM
i ha ven't seen any issue with Danny when he's on the pitch so i don't get the big deal over this. he's older and best used as a sub - period. we're supposed to have strikers who can last 90 and we do.

Barrett shows no sign that he can last 90. He cramps up about sixty minutes in and he's only 24.

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 10:19 AM
So you're saying we should cut him and stick with the young unproven strikers we have, instead of keeping him as a sub option? If he can't play the full 90 that is.

I'm saying if he cant start a game, he should be cut and the salary he makes should be used to get us a proven striker up front.

trane
04-14-2009, 10:23 AM
^ I do not disagree with that, but my way of seeing it is that we need to put our best 11 on the field to start a game, right now, Dichio is in that top 11. Hopefully someone will step up and take this role. But like you I would like to see Dichio and Vitti start untill someone else proves better. Right now Barrett has not.

Shaughno
04-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Barrett shows no sign that he can last 90. He cramps up about sixty minutes in and he's only 24.

I haven't noticed the cramp problems this year... at least from what I've seen. Regardless, he's not our answer unless he learns how to finish.

I'm saying if he cant start a game, he should be cut and the salary he makes should be used to get us a proven striker up front.

I disagree. If he can still be used on the pitch as a super sub, why not? We aren't going to sign a striker at this point so we have to ride it out until June anyway.

^ I do not disagree with that, but my way of seeing it is that we need to put our best 11 on the field to start a game, right now, Dichio is in that top 11. Hopefully someone will step up and take this role. But like you I would like to see Dichio and Vitti start untill someone else proves better. Right now Barrett has not.

I agree completely.

jloome
04-14-2009, 10:30 AM
I haven't seen any references anywhere to Dichio not being able to last 90. That's pure supposition.

He's admitted himself he's slowed a lot and the bigger issue to me is that it's unlikely, as a 90-minute starter, that he'll go more than a half-dozen games or so without getting injured. His record in recent years is pretty banged up.

But that doesn't mean he couldn't last 90, just that they're not likely to use him that way.

trane
04-14-2009, 10:46 AM
^ Injury is clearly a concern with Dichio.

OneLoveOneEric
04-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I have never in my life understood when managers rest players for a game, go behind in that game, and inevitably wind up having to bring those players on to attempt to salvage a game that's usually out of reach at that point. If they have to play 30 minutes anyway, why not have them play the first 30 minutes, score a goal, win the game, and then bring them off?
This has never made sense to me, yet every manager in football does it, and I will concede that they know more than me about the game. There must be something I'm missing.

Roogsy
04-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I have never in my life understood when managers rest players for a game, go behind in that game, and inevitably wind up having to bring those players on to attempt to salvage a game that's usually out of reach at that point. If they have to play 30 minutes anyway, why not have them play the first 30 minutes, score a goal, win the game, and then bring them off?
This has never made sense to me, yet every manager in football does it, and I will concede that they know more than me about the game. There must be something I'm missing.

I am in the same boat as you.

If the current lineup is not effective at the 30th minute, why would it be at the 60th? Make a change!

trane
04-14-2009, 11:06 AM
^ Agreed, OneLoveOneEric and Roogsy.

With Barrett v. Dichio is not just one is better then the other, it is also that from what I have seen our team plays better with Dichio, then with Barret. I would think that you would want your team to be firing on all cylinders out of the gate.

Shaughno
04-14-2009, 11:08 AM
^ Agreed, OneLoveOneEric and Roogsy.

With Barrett v. Dichio is not just one is better then the other, it is also that from what I have seen our team plays better with Dichio, then with Barret. I would think that you would want your team to be firing on all cylinders out of the gate.

Uh... yeah. :D

My preference, would be to start Dichio and Vitti. At half, or soon there after bring on Ibrahim or Barrett.

poppamidnight
04-14-2009, 11:13 AM
^ Injury is clearly a concern with Dichio.

exactly -

Nevermind the game-length he goes,
even though we're struggling, we're still projected to be a playoff team

Now you gotta ask yourself - do you risk Dichio in there either:
a - going hard this early in the yr, and possibly burning out come stretch run
or
b - Worse case scenario - get's hurt and aiint available down the stretch

I've said it before, and i'll say it again: Chad Barrett doesn't look like 'our guy' and could possibly just be a band-aid/injury replacement till Vitti and White are back to full heath - at which time he could be dealt

Hence, Danny's gunna be valuable to us regardless. Personally - seeing him as a older-vet in his last yr, i'd prefer to have him at his best for the strech run/playoffs rather than force him in there as a starter this early

Shaughno
04-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Hence, Danny's gunna be valuable to us regardless. Personally - seeing him as a older-vet in his last yr, i'd prefer to have him at his best for the strech run/playoffs rather than force him in there as a starter this early

Yup. ;)

Maybe Carver is just trying to preserve Danny for as long as possible? Who knows.

Arnie Knows
04-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Danny is not able to do it .. He is the Legend but time has ticked past..

If he plays more he will be out more Hurt..
then done and coaching

trane
04-14-2009, 11:22 AM
^ We need to make the playoffs first.

ExiledRed
04-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Danny is not able to do it .. He is the Legend but time has ticked past..

If he plays more he will be out more Hurt..
then done and coaching

How come time has ticked past for Danny, but not for much older players out there in MLS, or even other leagues?

Out of curiousity, how old are you?

Is the answer to why this board is so convinced that Danny isn't healthy due to generational agism?

LucaGol
04-14-2009, 11:37 AM

Fine, I'll play devil's advocate.

The star players who needed the rest are brought on to rescue the game as a last resort.

Managers actually want to get away with not playing them at all and hope the subs can do the business.

trane
04-14-2009, 12:06 PM
How come time has ticked past for Danny, but not for much older players out there in MLS, or even other leagues?

Out of curiousity, how old are you?

Is the answer to why this board is so convinced that Danny isn't healthy due to generational agism?

I think in general there is an over emphasis on pace, I here it all the time in the stands, Dichio is slow, therefore he is shite. Same reason many may over value Barrett, because compared to Dichio he has a pace. Pace is clearly a positive, but it is only one of the assests of a player. If pace was the be all and end all of football, Wynne and Johan Smith would be playing for AC Milan not TFC.

Beach_Red
04-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Managers actually want to get away with not playing them at all and hope the subs can do the business.

That's so sad.

And so true.