PDA

View Full Version : Chanting and Jumping?

Bloor West FC
04-12-2009, 09:50 AM
How do you feel with a couple of games in at home this year, do you feel that the crowd is more into it with chanting and jumping or just there to watch?

ginkster88
04-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm assuming you mean "very quiet". Having watched TFC mostly on the tele, this year has been by far the poorest. Yesterday you could see empty seats alllllll over the East stand, and I'm not exactly sure why everybody is going crazy over 112 yesterday... often there was only movement in the first row... maybe more people were singing than usual, but that certainly didn't come across on tv; twice I heard the capo on the megaphone by himself, and that's when I knew the mic was just sitting in front of the corner, because there is no noise anywhere else in the stadium. If you are sitting in the West stand, you can't make out what the corner is singing... trust me, that's where I've been sitting when I do make it out. 85% of the stadium just wants to watch soccer and listen to you guys sing, and that's just the way it's going to be I think.

Bloor West FC
04-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Yes I do mean very Quiet.

Pookie
04-12-2009, 10:14 AM
At some point, as in anything, the newness will wear off but I don't think that is what is happening.

I do think that the product on the field has an impact on the number of people that join in and perhaps the passion with which they do.

Outside of traditional support for the team, there was nothing to cheer about last week against Seattle.

This week, the club played better and held the lead for much of the match but also failed to capitalize on a number of opportunities.

After awhile songs like:

"... we'll never stop till we won the cup
we said, we said
We’ll never stop till we've won the cup
We said! We said!
And when you hear us its plain to see
Toronto's the greatest in history

and the reds go marching on to victory"

... seem a little hard to get passionate about when you are getting your ass kicked by an expansion team in 70 mph winds.

I wouldn't worry about how it sounds. Empty seats are a function of long half time line ups not disinterest. The volume on TV is mitigated by the fact that the microphones are upwind and we've had some very strong winds to deal with.

The passion that supports the team is there and most likely always will be there. It will vary though with the eb and flow of the game.

ginkster88
04-12-2009, 10:18 AM
The seats were empty for the entire game, and it only got worse after halftime, as I was expecting. I have never seen it looking so empty for kick-off before... my dad even commented in passing that it certainly didn't look like a sellout.

dupont
04-12-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't know why everyone was so down about it this week. It was much louder than last week and I had tons of fun singing with everyone around me. Maybe it depends if you are sitting in a fun section or not.
The top of 111 is really fun and most people stand and sing so I guess that is why I had a great time.
Honestly, I never thought the places where people sit the whole game were ever loud. This year is no exception.
The empty seats are worrying but I don't know how to stop it if scalpers have the tickets. People won't buy from them now that demand isn't at a crazy high level. I'm sure they would have no problem reselling those season tickets to real fans though.

Bloor West FC
04-12-2009, 10:23 AM
I did have fun as a always do, It just seems to be more quiet. I think we chant the same thing over and over again that might be triggering the not this again.

We need to get player chants involved more, like the Ibbe chant. He did some good moves in front of 111 and we did not give him a chant. We need to spread the chants around.

Pachuco
04-12-2009, 10:26 AM
So far this year has been the quietest from my point of view. We are losing the atmosphere a bit. What's weird is that supposively MLSE was doing relocations, I guess that didn't work out. It was horribly planned anyways.

mclaren
04-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't know why everyone was so down about it this week. It was much louder than last week and I had tons of fun singing with everyone around me. Maybe it depends if you are sitting in a fun section or not.
The top of 111 is really fun and most people stand and sing so I guess that is why I had a great time.
Honestly, I never thought the places where people sit the whole game were ever loud. This year is no exception.
The empty seats are worrying but I don't know how to stop it if scalpers have the tickets. People won't buy from them now that demand isn't at a crazy high level. I'm sure they would have no problem reselling those season tickets to real fans though.

agreed - it was much louder than last week.

cementhead
04-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I think it the same.As for more empty seat.I would think weather has something to do with it a lot people just don't like the cold so there saying home.At half time you see more empty seat because everyone run down in to the lobby or bathrooms to get warm and don't come right back at half time.

ginkster88
04-12-2009, 10:42 AM
^^ The weather is a very good point to mention, but that in turn raises the question: is it better for tickets to go unsold by scalpers or the FO, or is it better to have fans that won't come out because of the weather?

Cashcleaner
04-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Maybe it's just because I'm now sitting up in 111 rather than 112, but I'd agree that the atmosphere in general seems less intense than it was the last two seasons. I thought the crowd at the Home Opener was pretty good, but yesterday everyone seemed fairly quiet yesterday.

uncle p
04-12-2009, 12:59 PM
As for the empty seats we have to remember it was easter long weekend. Alot of people went home or out of town and many others like myself had family commitments....Where the singing is concerned it seems to be the same as last year imo

D.O.W. Mark
04-12-2009, 01:46 PM
We have 2 sets of 1/2 season tickets in 110, so we alternate games sitting in one set very close to the newly designated fan section and one set closer to the pitch. I'm excited to see 110 as a fan section -- last year it was a bit of an effort to get everyone up and singing in parts of 110, but by the end of the season it was a pretty hopping section. I'd like to see more out of the upper fan section of 110, there's a few chants etc but it's still a bit too quite for my liking, especially as a new fan section -- the energy should be way way up. It's great to feed off the energy of 111 and to join in with their chants etc, but I'd love to see 110 develop it's own "personality" and not just wait for other sections to get the songs going.

I was worried about having our second set of tickets in the lower section of 110 (row 12) because so many people there still sit down and only cheer when something exciting is happening. We figured we'd try and bring some of the energy we were used to in the higher rows with us, and stood and chanted the whole game, and (eventually) a number of folk around us started doing the same. I guess all you can do is set the example, and ignore the soccer mom's who break the energy and repeatedly try to get you sit.

"East Side Stand Up!" eventually got everyone on their feets, but too bad they had to be guilt-tripped into it!

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-12-2009, 02:53 PM
^^ The weather is a very good point to mention, but that in turn raises the question: is it better for tickets to go unsold by scalpers or the FO, or is it better to have fans that won't come out because of the weather?

if the scalpers vant sell thier seats tough on them..they do count as
pirchased tickets though. the weather? it has to improve sometime?

ginkster88
04-12-2009, 02:55 PM
^^ I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying, do we really want to blame the weather if that means admitting that there are a lot of fans who won't come to support the team because of it?

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:03 PM
why should everyone at a tfc game be chanting and jumping?? 0_o thats what a supporters section is for. something this club dosent have? honestly the RPB are one section. North end elite?? we dont even have a north end ffs ..... Also you guys must be delusional to think the bunker is soo big, its only one section .......i dont know why you guys take it ? there are clearly enough supporters to fill an end .... go for it...

and this whole pissing contest between sg's is ridiculous. i mean a club that is 3 years old and some of you guys are acting like were something huge? na WE have to build it and that means ONE section ONE supporters area, untill this happens ill have to abstain from associating myself with one or the other.

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:06 PM
morale of the story, you cant expect everyone to do something when you dont have controll of everyone in that said section. And for the 127'ers that say, i dont like the south end ect. GOD its a section of the same stadium. you guys are like the broken link to a SG so apply to move to the south end already and support your team.

FluSH
04-12-2009, 03:14 PM
why should everyone at a tfc game be chanting and jumping?? 0_o thats what a supporters section is for. something this club dosent have? honestly the RPB are one section. North end elite?? we dont even have a north end ffs ..... Also you guys must be delusional to think the bunker is soo big, its only one section .......i dont know why you guys take it ? there are clearly enough supporters to fill an end .... go for it...

and this whole pissing contest between sg's is ridiculous. i mean a club that is 3 years old and some of you guys are acting like were something huge? na WE have to build it and that means ONE section ONE supporters area, untill this happens ill have to abstain from associating myself with one or the other.

Do you honestly think we are just sitting on our asses doing nothing? We are trying our best to fill in seats for supporters. TFC FO is not just going to randomly kick people out of the South End...

Also,

There is no pissing contest between sg's... not anymore than you would argue with a friend. If you are in the know... All the top dawgs from each Supporter Group talk to each other... We help each other out. Also, I have never seen only ONE section ONE supporters area. Not in Latin America... and not in the MLS.

This hippie idea that the world (BMO Field) would be a better place with ONE supporter group is dilusional and untrue.

This is what we got... deal with it... you wanna help... join one of the supporter groups... or if you are really up to the challange start your own, but once that whistle blows... it's All For One.

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:23 PM
really? La. 12 rings a pretty big bell ;) In latin america, in europe one Supporters end IS the way to go.. i didnt know the Kop was a 2 end affair? Who are we kidding here? we arent Marsaille.... we cant fill 2 ends of supporters and sing Aux armes. Get real ppl!

FluSH
04-12-2009, 03:29 PM
really? La. 12 rings a pretty big bell ;) In latin america, in europe one Supporters end IS the way to go.. i didnt know the Kop was a 2 end affair? Who are we kidding here? we arent Marsaille.... we cant fill 2 ends of supporters and sing Aux armes. Get real ppl!

Ok you are talking about two different LOCATIONS vs different Supporter Groups.

We have no say on this board about what location gets chosen as a supporter area. In defence of NEE... they built their own from nothing... and earned it. But you are definately on the wrong boards if you want to abolish the North End supporters area and bring them to the south... You're seen things... and talking crazy shit.

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:36 PM

We have no say on this board about what location gets chosen as a supporter area. In defence of NEE... they built their own from nothing... and earned it. But you are definately on the wrong boards if you want to abolish the North End supporters area and bring them to the south... You're seen things... and talking crazy shit.

id actually love a north end. then they could actually be the elite of a north end:D Get it done flush!!!! get us a north end:rolleyes:

as for the south ... whats the quickest way to drive everyone out? when that is concluded execute it . ;)

Keyman
04-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day. People have lofty and unrealistic expectations for the south end at this point. It could take another ten years before we're truly anything to boast about. Until then, we can only hope for steady improvement - which I believe we are seeing.

Gixmo
04-12-2009, 03:59 PM
111 has the energy, but the mind is elsewhere for the most part.

Cash, Where in 111 are you... Please, Come to the Top and help us get these guys on page with something other then the red's marching in...

Whomever up top mentioned Ibbe totally embarrassed his marker several times right in front of 111, and they were still singing about their beer...

Sally Mack
04-12-2009, 04:11 PM
We have 2 sets of 1/2 season tickets in 110, so we alternate games sitting in one set very close to the newly designated fan section and one set closer to the pitch. I'm excited to see 110 as a fan section -- last year it was a bit of an effort to get everyone up and singing in parts of 110, but by the end of the season it was a pretty hopping section. I'd like to see more out of the upper fan section of 110, there's a few chants etc but it's still a bit too quite for my liking, especially as a new fan section -- the energy should be way way up. It's great to feed off the energy of 111 and to join in with their chants etc, but I'd love to see 110 develop it's own "personality" and not just wait for other sections to get the songs going.

I was worried about having our second set of tickets in the lower section of 110 (row 12) because so many people there still sit down and only cheer when something exciting is happening. We figured we'd try and bring some of the energy we were used to in the higher rows with us, and stood and chanted the whole game, and (eventually) a number of folk around us started doing the same. I guess all you can do is set the example, and ignore the soccer mom's who break the energy and repeatedly try to get you sit.

"East Side Stand Up!" eventually got everyone on their feets, but too bad they had to be guilt-tripped into it!

Couldn't agree with you more... With a steady effort, I really think we can get 110 hopping. It seems like 110 is scared to have their own personality, and will only follow what 112 does. I've only got the home opener partial pack so I'm hoping by my next game in 110, our capo has everyone on the same page.

egoodwin
04-12-2009, 05:52 PM
id actually love a north end. then they could actually be the elite of a north end:D Get it done flush!!!! get us a north end:rolleyes:

as for the south ... whats the quickest way to drive everyone out? when that is concluded execute it . ;)
hey Dale Rojo, if you've got some complaints for the NEE, take the non-douche approach to raising them by coming over to 127 to speak them.

Cambridge_Red
04-12-2009, 07:20 PM
morale of the story, you cant expect everyone to do something when you dont have controll of everyone in that said section. And for the 127'ers that say, i dont like the south end ect. GOD its a section of the same stadium. you guys are like the broken link to a SG so apply to move to the south end already and support your team.

Wow great advice THANKS really constructive. I suggest bringing a compass to the next game and you'll find us in the NORTH west corner of the stadium. kthnxbai

Cambridge_Red
04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
As for the poll yesterday was really good 112 was rocking the place!

LUFC
04-12-2009, 07:36 PM

I agree with you, this guy get kicked out of the RPB's or something? he seems to have something up his ass lol

heather
04-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Few things..

Flush wasn't there yesterday... He certainly has a way to get people chanting :D
The Capo in front of 112 (Workie - you did an excellent job!) didn't have a megaphone (I think because it's broken, too bad :().

A back and forth chant from 112 to 113 that worked on saturday -
112 --> "U- SECTOR
113 -->"WHAT!"
112 --> "USECTOR!"
113 --> "WHAT!" etc etc. (This is a U-Sector chant)
Then 112 did the red patch boys we are here chant.. That was awesome. Boys I spoke with from U-sector said they would have joined but didn't know the words.

and A LOT of 111 was STANDING!!! That was also awesome to see. :D

From the second row of 112 I could also hear the top of 111 (yes doing the Red's Marching in..). Awesome!

I did notice a lack of flags in 112.. mind you I had mine and there was not many times I actually felt like waving it.

Also.. I think better performance on the pitch will mean better performance in the supporter's sections.

Hustle
04-12-2009, 07:53 PM
As guilty as the next guy for getting caught up in moment at the top of 111 going along with some mindless chants, but I think most new to the section like me are just really excited to be with people who are ready to jump and sing for 90 minutes after being shushed for the last two years in other sections.

I think after a couple more games, and a little leadership and you would have a force up there because you can teach chants, but you can't replicate that energy.

Lennon
04-12-2009, 11:06 PM
We need to give out song sheets. To everyone in the stadium.

Maybe get the FO to help out distribute them ... or set up a thing like this around the stadium with songsheets in them

https://www.cnmonline.co.uk/images/T/t_23649.jpg

People are more likely to get into it if they know what we're chanting ...

Cashcleaner
04-13-2009, 02:04 AM
111 has the energy, but the mind is elsewhere for the most part.

Cash, Where in 111 are you... Please, Come to the Top and help us get these guys on page with something other then the red's marching in...

Whomever up top mentioned Ibbe totally embarrassed his marker several times right in front of 111, and they were still singing about their beer...

I'm way over at the railing in row 25. Actually, there seems to be a lot of noise coming from the top of 110. May not be all that original, but there's quite a few of them up there.

*sigh* Okay, here's my take on the whole issue.

I don't see anyone outside of 112, 113, 114, and the bottom of 111 learning any of the more complex chants. The two guys sitting above me in 111 think the words go "Qu'est que joo vanti!" and its one of the most popular songs we got! You can hand out as many songbooks as you want but I don't think it will be enough. We have to keep things simple and catchy.

The mindless chants may be unoriginal and overdone, but people sing them!

Sonny Cheeba
04-13-2009, 10:17 AM
i'm telling you.... video with words. just hand out a link to a youtube account, or the chants section on the main page.

i'd make it if i had a video camera but i don't.

flatpicker
04-13-2009, 10:26 AM
volume isn't the main issue
coordination is the problem
I was so frustrated with many of the folks in my section (111)
The number of times I had to hear "when the reds go marching in" was making my ears bleed.

we really need to boost our efforts.
I think we are getting lazy.

I think now is a good time to try out something different.
If people love "reds go marching in" soooo much, then let's try the slow version instead.

Something entirely new perhaps? Another song or chant that is very simple and known to a North American crowd!

We need to fix this!

Sonny Cheeba
04-13-2009, 10:31 AM
^ top of 111 sang oh when the reds about 5 or 6 times in the first half. killer.

they did seven nation army a couple of times. but i don't remember much else.

i don't know if it was the wind or whatnot...but Dichio 24 was not coordinated at all.... 112 was different from 111. the bottom of 111 was different than the top which was different from the middle of 110 which was different from the 110/109 border at the top.

flatpicker
04-13-2009, 10:43 AM
^ top of 111 singing that song so many times was not "killer"!

I was like nails on a chalkboard after a while.

Sonny Cheeba
04-13-2009, 10:44 AM
yeah i meant killer in a sad way. it was A killer. not "killer" woops. more sarcasm i guess.... i don't know.

if i enjoyed it i probably wouldn't have kept count.

well whatever i was trying to say.... it was fuckin terrible.

flatpicker
04-13-2009, 10:49 AM
^ ok... then we are agreed! :)

Hustle
04-13-2009, 03:44 PM
^^^
Yeah, its one of the guys behind me who was starting that over and over and I agree it was bad...next match I am at is May 2nd and I will talk to him unless he dies of alchohol poisoning before that.

Phil
04-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Thread cleaned up, lets keep on topic and not create drama please. We all support the same team here.

lips
04-14-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm in sec. 105
you know what i voted:( the top was not that bad

james
04-14-2009, 02:07 PM
it looked like the south end and North End Elite dont have as much flags waving this year as we did last year.

Also i think there has been more empty seats this year. Dont know its because scalpers got hold of even more tickets or if fans are just being pussies and dont want to go outside in the cold wind so they just waste there tickets.

Also i think alot of fans dont seem to be into cheerring to much so far this year since we havent really played that well at home on the field yet this year and the windy weather doesnt help make people wanting to chant. People just look like they depressed or something.

AL-MO
04-14-2009, 04:29 PM
it looked like the south end and North End Elite dont have as much flags waving this year as we did last year.

Also i think there has been more empty seats this year. Dont know its because scalpers got hold of even more tickets or if fans are just being pussies and dont want to go outside in the cold wind so they just waste there tickets.

Also i think alot of fans dont seem to be into cheerring to much so far this year since we havent really played that well at home on the field yet this year and the windy weather doesnt help make people wanting to chant. People just look like they depressed or something.

Don't worry James, we'll have plenty of flags in 112. Starting on Wednesday when I make my first appearance of the season down at BMO. :D

Gixmo
04-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Don't paint us all up top in 111 with the same brush, I left quite a scathing review in the 'Section 111' thread.. The top of 110 was busy, but mostly one guy in particular. I'm hoping the Chivas/KC game will be different.

Cash/Flat - Come to the top of 111, Find the guy with the 2 stick and help a brother out here....

dupont
04-17-2009, 09:14 AM
111, and they were still singing about their beer...

I am sitting literally RIGHT next to those guys that are singing about beer.. like the very next seat over... I found it funny once but when I noticed it was going to keep happening, it was discouraging...
but if there is one thing I've learned about drunk people, it's to never suggest they do anything differently or else some trouble could start.
I guess I will keep joining in for the "oh when the reds" chant because it's definitely better than their beer chant.
Those guys were friendly enough though so I guess I'm not too bothered.

I wish there was a way to hear 112 a bit better because I think some of the other chants are known by the people in 111 but the sound doesn't carry across the sections as well as I thought it would. Maybe it's just been too windy for the games so far this season.

Fushida
04-17-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm in sec. 105
you know what i voted:( the top was not that bad

i've been told to sit by the people next to me (both scalper seats) when i stay standing after we win a corner... sad times in 105 :noidea:

ExiledRed
04-17-2009, 11:29 PM
We need to give out song sheets. To everyone in the stadium.

Maybe get the FO to help out distribute them ... or set up a thing like this around the stadium with songsheets in them

https://www.cnmonline.co.uk/images/T/t_23649.jpg

People are more likely to get into it if they know what we're chanting ...

Most likely people will stand around those things and start smoking, or put their garbage in them.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Still need to attend my first game of the season!!........fac me!

I'll vote after CHIVAS game!! :) cant f'in wait!

BUt i have been told the atmosphere is laggin this year!!