PDA

View Full Version : People who leave early!

SoccMan
04-11-2009, 10:32 PM
I understand if we are either winning big or are behind by a few people heading for the exits early. However, when we are only up by one goal, or if we are only down by one or if the game is tied why would people be heading for the exits with about 10 mins to go when the game is still close. It happened again today, with about 10 mins left and with TFC up by one you saw many, many people heading for the exits. This seems to happen all the time, and it seems worse this year. How in the hell do you leave when the game is so close with so much time left. I could understand if it was a just a few people leaving, but it's not just a few it's a few thousand leaving with so much time left and the game still close. It's like these people just don't care about the result. They came they had a few beers, they socialized a bit and the game was just a backdrop. Does this happen at Leaf or Raptor games or is it a TFC thing?

Calvin
04-11-2009, 10:52 PM
they went home happy, thinking we won. ignorance is bliss.

noochie
04-11-2009, 10:53 PM
It happens at every sporting event, every one... As a supporters group, this idea is foreign to us however to the average fan beating traffic can be more important than seeing the end result.

dupont
04-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Does this happen at Leaf or Raptor games or is it a TFC thing?

I went to a Raptors game this season and a bunch of people left as the game went into overtime and didn't come back. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Toronto Ruffrider
04-11-2009, 11:08 PM
I understand if we are either winning big or are behind by a few people heading for the exits early. However, when we are only up by one goal, or if we are only down by one or if the game is tied why would people be heading for the exits with about 10 mins to go when the game is still close. It happened again today, with about 10 mins left and with TFC up by one you saw many, many people heading for the exits. This seems to happen all the time, and it seems worse this year. How in the hell do you leave when the game is so close with so much time left. I could understand if it was a just a few people leaving, but it's not just a few it's a few thousand leaving with so much time left and the game still close. It's like these people just don't care about the result. They came they had a few beers, they socialized a bit and the game was just a backdrop. Does this happen at Leaf or Raptor games or is it a TFC thing?

Sounds like the group of four men who were in the row right in front of ours.:p I often wonder what motivates people such as them to buy season tickets.

apetimberlake
04-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Perhaps some ultra violent banners like the ones i saw in Roma would help.
"Coloro che lasciano primi , lascerà via bodybags"

Cambridge_Red
04-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Who cares they weren't singing anyways.

BC101
04-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Ok... Do we still care about this? people leave... The sooner you get over it the more enjoyable yer match day will be. Its all about the minding of business... Usually if its your own that you're minding then things are much more enjoyable.

InTheCrowd
04-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Guys, just give them some smart remarks.

"Tell us what traffic's like"
"Don't worry, we'll hold the fort down"
"We'll tell you how the game ends"

gardooney
04-11-2009, 11:18 PM
I think for some people they would like to catch the GO train. If you miss one it is an hour wait for the next one. Maybe not a good enough reason for some ,but if you have other things to do ya gotta go when ya gotta go. I had to scoot early once last year for just this reason.

Sonny Cheeba
04-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Ok... Do we still care about this? people leave... The sooner you get over it the more enjoyable yer match day will be. Its all about the minding of business... Usually if its your own that you're minding then things are much more enjoyable.

and this is how i feel.... i really don't care if people leave early. they have their reasons.

and if they're really just going to the match for a few beers and a wank, they'll get bored of it and move onto field lacrosse or something.

BC101
04-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Have you ever tried to leave BMO's parking lot while waiting for full time whistle? trust me its not easy(Driving i mean) if they wanna leave early then let them...Cos guess what people......................They bought the ticket with their loot that means they get to do what they like... Come late leave early come early leave late its ALL THEIR CHOICE.

WHITEY
04-11-2009, 11:33 PM
I will come out and say I leave early a lot of times; up a goal, down a goal, tied. Reason being I catch the match then go straight to work! Some people may work shift work like myself and catch the match prior to going ot work. Is there anything wrong with that? Does that make me a less of a supporter than somebody that stays until the final whistle?

Sonny Cheeba
04-11-2009, 11:36 PM
I will come out and say I leave early a lot of times; up a goal, down a goal, tied. Reason being I catch the match then go straight to work! Some people may work shift work like myself and catch the match prior to going ot work. Is there anything wrong with that? Does that make me a less of a supporter than somebody that stays until the final whistle?

no it doesn't and that's why this is a bum discussion. bum i say.

BC101
04-11-2009, 11:37 PM
no it doesn't and that's why this is a bum discussion. bum i say.
but what am I gonna do with my "my supporters penis is bigger than yours because i don't leave" tshirts?

Sonny Cheeba
04-11-2009, 11:38 PM
but what am I gonna do with my "my supporters penis is bigger than yours because i don't leave" tshirts?

hahahaha. we should make those.

Stilts
04-11-2009, 11:39 PM
I still don't understand why there are so many empty seats when all the tickets get sold.

Cambridge_Red
04-11-2009, 11:42 PM
I still don't understand why there are so many empty seats when all the tickets get sold.

In a word.. scalpers

mclaren
04-11-2009, 11:42 PM

beer garden

Cambridge_Red
04-11-2009, 11:43 PM

Copyright that.

andyc
04-11-2009, 11:44 PM
I went to a couple of games in England last month and the same thing happened. The best part was seeing a couple of goals go in as people were leaving. Seeing idiots stop and come back up the stairs to see the celebration was really funny but a little sad...

I personally can't understand the behavior, but Tfc are far from the worst at this...

Erkan16
04-11-2009, 11:48 PM
dont let it bother you... make a game out of it.

i started singing "BEAT THE TRAFFIC" and stomped my foot on the floor... soon many people were joining in.

andyc
04-11-2009, 11:51 PM
^^lol

James Oliphant
04-11-2009, 11:57 PM
I think for some people they would like to catch the GO train. If you miss one it is an hour wait for the next one. Maybe not a good enough reason for some ,but if you have other things to do ya gotta go when ya gotta go. I had to scoot early once last year for just this reason.

Bingo.

Games that start at the top of the hour end at the top of the hour. Westbound trains leave Exhibition at :49, Eastbound at :00.

There's your answer, fishbulb...and that's why bottom-of-the-hour kickoffs are so much better for us.

WHITEY
04-12-2009, 12:04 AM
I left early today; left at at the 80 minute mark. And I will continue to leave early as long as I have to work after a match...a job that pays for my season tickets.

nobuzz
04-12-2009, 12:13 AM
People have all sorts of reasons for leaving early, some will stay, some will go, it's up to you to enjoy the game as you see fit.

Lennon
04-12-2009, 12:25 AM
beer garden

Yep ... the beer garden is stupid ... could fit another couple of thousand people without it and make the stadium more packed

Pachuco
04-12-2009, 12:36 AM
One beef I have is that the games typicall end 5 mins after the Lakeshore West line. This means I wait an hour every time for the train. I'll still stick around, but it pisses me off that I have to wait an entire hour

grizzle
04-12-2009, 01:44 AM
I don't get it either, but a lot of people are retarded (some have legitimate reasons).

ricciboy
04-12-2009, 01:55 AM
i saw in baseball Washington down 11-1 in the 7th and people started leaving home game for
Washington

I went to a Raptors game this season and a bunch of people left as the game went into overtime and didn't come back. I couldn't believe my eyes.

TFC John
04-12-2009, 06:19 AM

If we all did that, this message board would be pretty lonely. :D

ElvistheEvilScotsman
04-12-2009, 07:36 AM
I think the stupid Go Train plays influence on people leaving early. TFC and GO should have a sit down and coordinate trains that leave for east and west 20 mins or so after the match.

I wont hold my breath on this wishful thinking.

Heathen
04-12-2009, 07:37 AM
I get the feeling a lot of the people who leave early are the same ones who come late

Blazer
04-12-2009, 08:03 AM

It happens at every arena and at every stadium in the world so don’t go losing sleep over it. Yes, believe it or not, Toronto sports fans are just like any other fans in any city. We’re so similar in fact, that we too have fans who feel holier than others simply because they tough it out til the end while others fuck off early to beat traffic on their way back to the burbs. ;)

Not suggesting that this is you but these individuals exist and there are many of them around BMO. Elitism has been a part of our society since the advent of democracy, maybe even formal education. I wouldn’t stress over it, it won’t ever change. Just have another beer and take a breath.

BoltonTFC
04-12-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't get it either, but a lot of people are retarded (some have legitimate reasons).

People are retarded because they leave a sporting event early? If they spent their cash on the tickets they can arrive and leave whenever they please.

TorCanSoc
04-12-2009, 08:16 AM
I don't leave early. I leave my seats early. I head toward the beer garden, or sit in an empty seat nearer to the exit. I'm in Section 108. They have a system where, they block anyone higher than row 15, so it won't be a massive cluster of confusion. So NOT leaving my section early means 20 minutes in the stands for no reason at all. I used to be patient about it and wait it out. But man, game after game after game it starts to wear on me. With three kids, my time is more valuable than being blocked in a section. ....Having said that I just get home and blog anyway!!! Ha ha.

[Soccer aside]
Holy sh*t I watched the Seattle - KC game. Man o man, Montero is the real deal. Seattle lost, but they should've won easily. Keller red carded for handling the ball outside the box. Guess who scores with a 30 yard screamer... Davy Arnaud. Wow.

Blazer
04-12-2009, 08:17 AM
People are retarded because they leave a sporting event early? If they spent their cash on the tickets they can arrive and leave whenever they please.

And with that post, this thread could be closed because that's the bottom line.

Rockin110
04-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Start the games at 1/4 past the hour and no one will leave early. End of story! Do they not have anyone in the TFC office that can read a GO train schedule.

And on another point, what f'in time do the games start, one time on the tickets, another on the schedule. I even asked a security guard, here is the actual answer. "Kickoff is 4, well 3:30 but with all the pregame stuff more like a quarter to." WTF I did not ask for a comedy routine, I asked a simple question.

LucaGol
04-12-2009, 08:21 AM

Exactly. Heaven forbid someone wanted to leave early from a horribly boring game.

This not a communist state. People are free to do what they please.

sulfur
04-12-2009, 08:26 AM
One of my friends last year made the trek up from Kingston week after week by VIA train. Due to VIA's useless scheduling, he had to leave games at the 85th minute almost every time in order to catch the last train home, especially since he generally had to work first thing in the morning on Sundays.

Totally sucked for him. At least this year, he'll have the FAN to listen to to find out how it all ends.

MUFC_Niagara
04-12-2009, 08:26 AM
I've left early to make the GO Train becase I had to work and couldn't miss it. I think if they added a "TFC" train for saturdays, a one off train 20 mins after the game, people would stay.

Blazer
04-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Start the games at 1/4 past the hour and no one will leave early. End of story! Do they not have anyone in the TFC office that can read a GO train schedule.

And on another point, what f'in time do the games start, one time on the tickets, another on the schedule. I even asked a security guard, here is the actual answer. "Kickoff is 4, well 3:30 but with all the pregame stuff more like a quarter to." WTF I did not ask for a comedy routine, I asked a simple question.

Ummm, you’re confused. Allow me to clarify a little.

“TFC head office”, by this I presume you mean MLSE - our majority (or sole?!) owners group - does not have control over league scheduling. That would come from MLS, who surely don’t give a shit about the fans who have to take GO Transit. The city doesn’t care to alter the schedule either just because a few footy fans are inconvenienced when hundreds of thousands are using this service, not just us.
I’m guessing that BMO security aren’t football fans and thus don’t give a shit about the game rather their time-and-a-half wage on a holiday weekend otherwise spoiled by “work”.

menefreghista
04-12-2009, 08:34 AM
The Saturday start times are actually controlled by CBC.

Most of these excuses for leaving early are lame. Although I can understand people with real commitments like work, etc.

SteeltownBhoy
04-12-2009, 08:37 AM

Exactly!! Who wants to spend an hour after the game on a GO platform waiting for a train. If the games started on the 1/2 hour people could stay to the end. But that would make to much sense and this is MLSE!!!!!

Blazer
04-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Who is anyone to make the determination for someone else as to what is an acceptable and an unacceptable - or "lame" - reason for leaving early? Bottom line, it’s your ticket paid for with your hard earned dollar. You come and go as you please. Accept that some people just aren’t as fanatical as others and may be watching TFC for simple amusement as opposed to others who make it their purpose in life.

This coming from someone who hasn’t missed a drop of action inside of BMO. I’m there 20 minutes before kickoff and leave shortly after the 90th+ minute. I’m no bigger or more committed fan than any STH. Leave when you want to leave I say. If the team has a problem with it maybe they'll make the necessary arrangements to have us stay for the full monty instead of leaving us with something to be desired.

TOBOR !
04-12-2009, 08:55 AM
People coming and going as they please - it's anarchy. I've arrived 2 hours early for games, and people have already been there ! Are they nuts ? What the heck is wrong with them ? And when I leave afterwards... there are folk who stay longer than me - it's insane. What are all these people doing ? Coming from places I know not where and tending to matters of no concern to me ?

This will never do - it's unacceptable - GAHHHHHH !!!

Davenport
04-12-2009, 09:01 AM
It's very selfish of them.
I always want to be first...and last.

menefreghista
04-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Bottom line, it’s your ticket paid for with your hard earned dollar.

Just as people are free to do whatever the hell they want, I am totally free to consider them lame for leaving early.

Sorry if lame people get offended by that.

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Just as people are free to do whatever the hell they want, I am totally free to consider them lame for leaving early.

Sorry if lame people get offended by that.

That's a good point. Also before I say anything now, I want to clarify that there are many exceptions. I realize that people can do whatever they want with their ticket once they bought it and they can leave early if they want, but then if they leave because we're losing or it's cold or you want to avoid traffic you can't still call yourself a supporter. Yes you can support the team, but because of these couple of ridiculous reasons you leave early which really doesn't help the teams situation.

dag
04-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I don't know why people get so worked up about this - it happens everywhere. I have a great deal of sympathy for spectators leaving a game early in order to catch a GO train.

As mentioned above, television must be a prime determinant for starting times. And no, there is no point in demanding that ML$E or GO make adjustments, when truthfully there isn't a business case to be made. Adding an extra train or two for a TFC match simply isn't necessary.

ginkster88
04-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I left in the 91st vs. Seattle. Down 2-0, team's playing like shit, might as well get home early to not have a completely horrible afternoon. I was going to leave the Raptors vs. Wizards game a few minutes early until Toronto decided that maybe they cared a little bit and made it interesting at the end... after blowing the lead they had held for the whole game. If the team doesn't care and the game is out of reach, why the fuck should I give them more of my time?

MrHawk
04-12-2009, 10:49 AM
And with that post, this thread could be closed because that's the bottom line.

Cause STONE COLD said so

Seriously as stated many times.

It's my money, if I chose to leave early cause of:

1) Train Schedule
2) Work
3) Previous engagements
4) Weather
5) Misc.

What do you care? Whether I leave early, show up late, or spend my entire day taking pictures by holding up a camera phone, move on.

cementhead
04-12-2009, 10:54 AM
I think with weather the way it been people just don't want to stay and freeze there ass of like I do!

bhoybobby
04-12-2009, 11:30 AM
people who leave early are probably frozen, I was tempted but suck it up, plus DD was on a mission. Last week it was excusable to leave, that was the coldest gameday ever

Mark in Ottawa
04-12-2009, 02:42 PM
People cramming into the supporters sections!

FluSH
04-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Once again...

This is the differance between

Fans

-and-

Supporters

I know people on here say that fans is short for fanatics... yadda yadda yadda, but in reality the word fan has been tossed around to include anyone and everyone who shows up to watch a game.

We do alot more than just show up. Sacrificing not only our time but our money for the support of the team.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-12-2009, 03:25 PM

wait till the Canada championship games...when people having to make
transportations connections start leaving with a 1/2 hr left in the second half...only the idiots at TFC would put games on at 8pm...you will see thousands leaving then instead of a couple of hundred..hiws that going to look on telly...come on TFC no games later then 7:30 :{

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-12-2009, 03:31 PM

exactly... i have to catch the go on the Canadian championship dates at 9:47 at the latest so i have to be out of the supporters end by 9;30
with 30mins left in the match..the greyhound connection in Hamiltion for Brantford is at 11:30pm so staying behind for the 10:47 go is not an option...some fans should remember this before giving supporters a hard time for leaving early...blame the TFC offices for the 8pm ko times not the fans
who have to get home!!:mad:

sulfur
04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Once again...

Fans

-and-

Supporters

We do alot more than just show up. Sacrificing not only our time but our money for the support of the team.
And from some of the people I know that have no choice but to leave early on occasion, that's patently untrue.

It may hold for some, but that does not hold true for everyone.

Limestone is a fantastic example of this.

This is a guy that travels down every weekend he's in the country, 3+ hours either way. Occasionally, it means that he has to leave early due to work commitments (last I heard, the military wasn't too forgiving about missing work). Does that make him a non-supporter?

I don't think so.

Does that make him less of a supporter than you or I?

I don't think so.

Either way, it's a moot point.

Yes, some people leave to skip the traffic. Some people come late to the games.

Don't fret about these people. Someday there will be a circumstance when you may have to leave a game early, or will not be able to arrive until late. Should other supporters tell you off for leaving early?

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 03:33 PM
people who leave early are probably frozen, I was tempted but suck it up, plus DD was on a mission. Last week it was excusable to leave, that was the coldest gameday ever

Your showing your age, mate...shhhhhh!

Blazer
04-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Cause STONE COLD said so

Seriously as stated many times.

It's my money, if I chose to leave early cause of:

1) Train Schedule
2) Work
3) Previous engagements
4) Weather
5) Misc.

What do you care? Whether I leave early, show up late, or spend my entire day taking pictures by holding up a camera phone, move on.

Not sure if that question was directed at me, or what, but I don’t care. That’s what I’ve been saying all along. I don’t give a shit what people decide to do with a ticket that they have purchased with their own money. Come when you want and leave when you want. Doesn’t make a lick of difference to me.

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Not sure if that question was directed at me, or what, but I don’t care. That’s what I’ve been saying all along. I don’t give a shit what people decide to do with a ticket that they have purchased with their own money. Come when you want and leave when you want. Doesn’t make a lick of difference to me.

But unfortunately it does make a lick of a difference to the club.

Parkdale
04-12-2009, 04:16 PM
and here comes the semantics again.....

"fans" or "supporters" really doesn't make a difference here.

The important word is spectators. If you are in the stadium,
watching the game, then you are a spectator, regardless of anything else.

Blazer
04-12-2009, 04:45 PM
But unfortunately it does make a lick of a difference to the club.

Don’t kid yourself. Our impact on the game is negligible. As great as we all love to think we are on game day, we have little impact on the outcome of games. The few who leave (couple of thousand if that) go unnoticed by the players and even if they were to notice, it would only explain their lack of focus on the game itself.

poppamidnight
04-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I left right after dallas scored for two main reasons:

1 - (most importantly) I had to piss like a racehorse, and wouldh've wet myself if i stayed any longer and risked a lineup for the pisser
2 - I was downright disgusted we conceded that goal

Normally I stay for the entirety,
but i opted not to battle the halftime lines thinking i could make it through

TOBOR !
04-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Once again...

Fans

-and-

Supporters

I know people on here say that fans is short for fanatics... yadda yadda yadda, but in reality the word fan has been tossed around to include anyone and everyone who shows up to watch a game.

When I were a lad we'd ask each other who we supported. "who do you support ?", would come the question. "Liverpool", I'd reply. I'm not sure that I was aware of the term 'Fan' in them days. I rather think that it is a North American contruct - mainly because this is where I was when I first became aware of it. But anyway, I was a supporter in the sense that I cheered for a team. I didn't spend any money on it. I never actually got to go to any games, or own any kit as such. I don't remember feeling any less about myself for that - wishing that I could do more.

I'm inclined to think that the Fan/Supporter debate has become a tool used draw a line to separate those that spend more money on tat and going to games and such, from those who just watch on the telly. A class system if you will.

I'm not knocking anyone for feeling important for their efforts - I wish I could do more than circumstances allow, but I don't think any less of myself for not being able to.

Fan, supporter, it's the same thing really - just some are more serious than others.

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Don’t kid yourself. Our impact on the game is negligible. As great as we all love to think we are on game day, we have little impact on the outcome of games. The few who leave (couple of thousand if that) go unnoticed by the players and even if they were to notice, it would only explain their lack of focus on the game itself.

You actually think we don't have much of an impact. There's so many of us putting so much effort into making the team successful, it pressures them into doing well. Imagine TFC with no supporters and nobody in the crowd. They could do poorly and nobody would care. Therefor there'd be no need for change.

Blazer
04-12-2009, 06:25 PM
“There's so many of us putting so much effort into making the team successful”

Well then we obviously need more people than Kansas City, Chicago, and New England if the recipe is that easy.

Beach_Red
04-12-2009, 06:27 PM
I wasn't going to say anything, but this thread is going on soooo long.

It's not people in the stands leaving early that bothers me, it's that the team doesn't stay for the full 90.....

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 06:33 PM
“There's so many of us putting so much effort into making the team successful”

Well then we obviously need more people than Kansas City, Chicago, and New England if the recipe is that easy.

You think everybody has the money for that? Come on now, I can see that you want what's best for the club but you're being a bit unrealistic here. There are many reasons why people can't go. Come on you reds!

TOBOR !
04-12-2009, 07:24 PM

It's not people in the stands leaving early that bothers me, it's that the team doesn't stay for the full 90.....

Brilliant post that there.

TorCanSoc
04-12-2009, 07:34 PM

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER! Good one!

Blazer
04-12-2009, 08:00 PM
You think everybody has the money for that? Come on now, I can see that you want what's best for the club but you're being a bit unrealistic here. There are many reasons why people can't go. Come on you reds!

Not sure how you’ve interpreted my quote but you’re definitely not reading into my sarcasm.

All I’m saying is that how much effort we put into supporting these guys doesn’t equate to their success on the pitch.

Parkdale
04-12-2009, 08:06 PM
All I’m saying is that how much effort we put into supporting these guys doesn’t equate to their success on the pitch.

yes and no.

the crowd can't actually win or lose the game, but it can influence their play.
Every sports team out there (every single one) knows about 'Home Field Advantage'.

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Not sure how you’ve interpreted my quote but you’re definitely not reading into my sarcasm.

No I didn't interpret the sarcasm.

And yes I agree that our support deserves better results. I'm just saying that leaving early doesn't make the situation any better.

Blazer
04-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Nor does it make it worse.

I’m more concerned with the drunks who can’t hold a proper chant than I am about a few people who chose to leave early. To each his own.

RicoSuave44
04-12-2009, 08:22 PM
My seat is right at the railing in 112 so I have a perfect view of all the late comers, loiterers and early leavers. This year it is BY FAR the worst since day 1.

I'm concerned because I think the message this sends to people around the stadium is "it doesn't matter what the score is, we're here for the experience."

Supporters should care that people are in their seats. The same people that come late, loiter and leave early are going to be the ones that don't show up for half the games in the coming years.

With a waiting list of 14,000 I think it's discouraging that there are so many empty seats. Maybe the fact that 4/5ths of the seats belong to SSHs is a negative in the long run if half of them don't really care about the team.

If you look at the best supported sports teams in NA (Red Sox, Cubs, many NFL franchises etc) it is considered sacrilege to leave early and the fans let you know it. Yankees are one notable exception where fans leave early en masse and boo the team regularily but with 27 championships, 81 home game seasons and 1000s of people coming from a 100 miles away each game you can cut them some slack.

I'm not on a witch hunt. I know some of you don't care but I do. I can't help it, I take it personally.

Occasionally I have to leave early for work, and when I do you can tell cuz I squeeze in every minute of play so I'm jogging and look pissed off when I leave through the gates. I'm not laughing with my friends and gingerly strolling to the brazenhead early like half of these people.

I understand many fans need to get on the GO but I don't think this is the reason SO MANY are leaving early or coming late.

Anybody else feel this way?

End Rant

Blazer
04-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I don’t. Nobody has the right to tell any other paying customer how they should use their product or service.

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Nor does it make it worse.

I’m more concerned with the drunks who can’t hold a proper chant than I am about a few people who chose to leave early. To each his own.

But how about those people who would've loved to have those tickets? I see your point about there being other more important problems, however it really makes me want to punch somebody when I see all of these people just walking out early.

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 08:32 PM
I don’t. Nobody has the right to tell any other paying customer how they should use their product or service.

But they then don't have the right to call themselves a supporter.

P.S - As I always say, there are exceptions.

Blazer
04-12-2009, 08:33 PM
^ What makes you think the people walking out don’t want these tickets or that there are people out there who want them more?

Parkdale
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
But they then don't have the right to call themselves a supporter.

P.S - As I always say, there are exceptions.

if people are leaving for a good reason, they can call themselves whatever they like.
If they're leaving because they want to get a better table at the bar after the game,
then they are clearly not putting their focus on the right things.

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
^ What makes you think the people walking out don’t want these tickets or that there are people out there who want them more?

Well people want the tickets to see the game. If they wanted the tickets so badly they'd stay for the whole game. Also how do I know there are people out there who want them more? Look at our waiting list. 14 000.

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
if people are leaving for a good reason, they can call themselves whatever they like.
If they're leaving because they want to get a better table at the bar after the game,
then they are clearly not putting their focus on the right things.

The reason why I said that there are exceptions.

RicoSuave44
04-12-2009, 08:47 PM

Oh come on! That's bullshit.

If I owned a gun company I would tell customers not to commit murder with my product.

If I owned a pet store I would tell customers not to abuse their animals.

If I owned a coffee shop I would tell customers not to litter their cups on the street, and to please recycle them.

If I owned a skating rink I would tell customers not to play hockey on the pleasure pad.

If I owned a computer shop I would tell customers not to download programs that contain viruses.

If I owned a sports franchise I would tell fans to support the team to the bitter end.

These businesess do tell their customers these things, whether they're laws, rules or suggestions. And they have the right to do so. The customers don't always follow these rules/laws/suggestions, and it doesn't make them right.

Blazer
04-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Well people want the tickets to see the game. If they wanted the tickets so badly they'd stay for the whole game. Also how do I know there are people out there who want them more? Look at our waiting list. 14 000.

You don't. Nobody does. So let's just trust that people aren't throwing their money away on insignificant TFC season tickets and are instead spending their money on things that they want to spend their money on (again, like TFC season tickets). I try not to make a habit of telling people how they should enjoy their assets. There's enough elitism on these boards and amongst TFC fans in general already without us trying.

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 08:57 PM

If I owned a gun company I would tell customers not to commit murder with my product.

If I owned a coffee shop I would tell customers not to litter their cups on the street, and to please recycle them.

If I owned a skating rink I would tell customers not to play hockey on the pleasure pad.

If I owned a computer shop I would tell customers not to download programs that contain viruses.

If I owned a sports franchise I would tell fans to support the team to the bitter end.

These businesess do tell their customers these things, whether they're laws, rules or suggestions. And they have the right to do so. The customers don't always follow these rules/laws/suggestions, and it doesn't make them right.

You missed his point, Rico.

If you owned a coffee shop, and one customer told another customer that he didnt have the right to drink in your coffee shop, because he only finished half his coffee. How would you react?

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 09:01 PM

If you owned a coffee shop, and one customer told another customer that he didnt have the right to drink in your coffee shop, because he only finished half his coffee. How would you react?

Well if I saw somebody only drink half of their coffee and throw the rest away I'd be pissed! I'd go tell them that they have no appreciation and that there are so many people out there who would value the coffee more.

Blazer
04-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Well then I look forward to hearing how your expected conversation goes with the next fan(s) that walks out in front of you. Perhaps your intervention will turn this bullshit around?!

Good luck with that.

MrHawk
04-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Nah it wasn't directed at you, you said "That's the bottom line"

So i quoted it to say "Cause stone cold said so"

InTheCrowd
04-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Well then I look forward to hearing how your expected conversation goes with the next fan(s) that walks out in front of you. Perhaps your intervention will turn this bullshit around?!

Good luck with that.

Trust me, supporters have been speaking their mind to some of these people. :p

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Well if I saw somebody only drink half of their coffee and throw the rest away I'd be pissed! I'd go tell them that they have no appreciation and that there are so many people out there who would value the coffee more.

And If I were the customer who threw away half a coffee, I'd tell you to fuck off and mind your own business.

Blazer
04-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Pick your battles in life and make sure they’re worth winning is all I got. This is petty.

RicoSuave44
04-12-2009, 09:16 PM

If I owned the coffee shop I would be happy that the customer paid for the whole coffee, however my staff (players) and I would be much happier if he had of finished it as we worked hard to make it, and we think its a waste that he ordered the large (full seasons) when he could have just ordered a medium (half seasons) or small (single).

But the customer who told the other one off, you know, the guy who belongs to the Starbucks Ethusiasts Association, I understand he's upset because he loves every drop of his coffee and doesn't like to see it wasted. He's trying to educate the other coffee drinker how to efficiently use the beans (tickets) because the poor farmers (waiting list) have worked so hard to grow and roast them.

I'd like to see your comeback to that! http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

FluSH
04-12-2009, 09:36 PM
ok... my time has been limited on these boards... so I can only skim through posts nowadays...

are we talking about cofee shops now?! W...

MrHawk
04-12-2009, 09:45 PM
We were talking about

The correlation of drinking half a cup of Starbucks coffee vs Leaving early at a TFC match.

RicoSuave44
04-12-2009, 09:54 PM
ok... my time has been limited on these boards... so I can only skim through posts nowadays...

are we talking about cofee shops now?! W...

Hey there is some merit. Read back to 3/4 way down page three and there is some good stuff on both sides.

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Rico, be honest.

You wouldn't give a crap how much he drank, providing he paid. You'd also tell the other customer to stop harassing paying customers.

That's MLSE's position on this. They wont put up signs saying 'please dont leave before the whistle' just like you don't see 'please finish your coffee' signs in Starbucks.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest that of the 14,000 people on the waiting list, none of them would leave early.

FluSH
04-12-2009, 10:07 PM
And from some of the people I know that have no choice but to leave early on occasion, that's patently untrue.

It may hold for some, but that does not hold true for everyone.

Limestone is a fantastic example of this.

This is a guy that travels down every weekend he's in the country, 3+ hours either way. Occasionally, it means that he has to leave early due to work commitments (last I heard, the military wasn't too forgiving about missing work). Does that make him a non-supporter?

I don't think so.

Does that make him less of a supporter than you or I?

I don't think so.

Either way, it's a moot point.

Yes, some people leave to skip the traffic. Some people come late to the games.

Don't fret about these people. Someday there will be a circumstance when you may have to leave a game early, or will not be able to arrive until late. Should other supporters tell you off for leaving early?

My post was never meant to be a rule written on stone... of course there are exceptions... grey areas if you will...

and yes, I've had to leave earlier before... but we aren't talking about these cases now are we?

MrHawk
04-12-2009, 10:15 PM
I leave early before games are over.

THERE I said it. Flame away on me.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Man, I wish I was half as cool as some people on this board think they are. If people want to leave early it’s their business.

WaitingListSuck
04-12-2009, 10:50 PM
but look BMO field is a pain in the ass to get out off parking lot wise at the end of the game u could be waiting for like 30mins to an hour after u get into your car wasting all that gas

im a maple leafs season ticket holder and on the list for TFC and when im at the leaf games i leave about 5 minutes early to beat that horrable rush of angry fans in there cars all trying to squeeze threw a small little opening yes only 1 opening in the parking lot same at BMO field

i love toronto FC and i am there from the first minute to the 85th traffic at the parking lots just get me mad

ilikemusic
04-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Nobody who left early is reading this message board.

stretchthetruth
04-12-2009, 10:54 PM
There's absolutely nothing to suggest that of the 14,000 people on the waiting list, none of them would leave early.

i have several friends on this 14,000 person waiting list... the same friends who all but said i was fucked if i thought soccer would be a success here in toronto... they could have had tickets at xmas 2006 with me, but they didnt. tough titty said the kitty - maybe next week, i'll use my tickets to come in, buy a $4 sausage and a $13 beer, then leave before the game starts... know why? because i got in when the gettin' was good during those few MONTHS while season tickets were on sale... everyone else can blow me.

David_Oliveira
04-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I have had to leave early during a game. Am I less of a fan? There could be a good reason. In my case, I had a show in Mississauga. Game time was 12:00 and I had to go do the set up and sound check. People may have a good reason. Don't group people all in the same way

menefreghista
04-12-2009, 11:08 PM
People who leave early because real life gets in the way is totally understandable.

People who leave early to beat traffic suck.

InTheCrowd
04-13-2009, 08:37 AM

Very true my friend. The people who leave because they're cold etc. won't be on here. :D

InTheCrowd
04-13-2009, 08:38 AM
I have had to leave early during a game. Am I less of a fan? There could be a good reason. In my case, I had a show in Mississauga. Game time was 12:00 and I had to go do the set up and sound check. People may have a good reason. Don't group people all in the same way

That's why we've been saying that there are exceptions. :)

dupont
04-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Ok you guys convinced me. I'm gonna go treat myself to a coffee. Something good did come out of this thread!

FluSH
04-13-2009, 09:54 AM
That's why we've been saying that there are exceptions. :)

I think this should be the title of the thread...

There are exceptions!

Sullivan
04-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Two older gents in front of me split at half time.
They're both STH but neither have much use for TFC; they bought STs because it's "supposed to be top level" North American football. Both of these gents are very knowledgable footballing men, they grew up with the game and share the passion (one's from Italy; the other from Argentina). I've always enjoyed their comments and observations.

But here's why they left = crap football!

Can't say that I blame them. They saw it coming; they called it. They got it right - 2nd half was more TFC schoolboy play. And yeah, they put in a full 90 last week in worse weather. It doesn't matter that its only the 4th game and not the 14th game; the 2009 roster has more talent than the 2008 roster - but the result and display on the field is what it is, not very good football.

Saying the FC Dallas effort was better than the Seattle effort was a given. But two valuable home points were squandered by questionable decisions on and off the pitch from a match that was very much winnable.

ML$E and TFC can laugh all they want while counting their $$$; doesn't mean people are happy, the bloom is clearly off.

scots17
04-15-2009, 02:35 PM
i left 4 minutes early vs. Seattle cause i was freezing my b@llz off and we were down 2-0....

will there be a thread about this??????

scots17
04-15-2009, 02:37 PM
...oh yeah, and the footy was shite!!!

Blazer
04-15-2009, 02:47 PM

We’re not debating how to reach out to these people. We’re trying to calm or justify the seething frustration from those who can’t get over how others choose to enjoy the value of their purchased service or product.

Blazer
04-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Two older gents in front of me split at half time.
They're both STH but neither have much use for TFC; they bought STs because it's "supposed to be top level" North American football. Both of these gents are very knowledgable footballing men, they grew up with the game and share the passion (one's from Italy; the other from Argentina). I've always enjoyed their comments and observations.

But here's why they left = crap football!

Can't say that I blame them. They saw it coming; they called it. They got it right - 2nd half was more TFC schoolboy play. And yeah, they put in a full 90 last week in worse weather. It doesn't matter that its only the 4th game and not the 14th game; the 2009 roster has more talent than the 2008 roster - but the result and display on the field is what it is, not very good football.

Saying the FC Dallas effort was better than the Seattle effort was a given. But two valuable home points were squandered by questionable decisions on and off the pitch from a match that was very much winnable.

ML$E and TFC can laugh all they want while counting their $$$; doesn't mean people are happy, the bloom is clearly off.

Shame on them then for purchasing seasons if they thought they were getting anything other than 4th or 5th tiered football. I knew exactly what I was getting into and don’t for one second pretend that this level of football is anything more than what it is. It’s also the reason we don’t pay $150.00 a ticket - for some of us anyway - but instead are paying a reasonable $300.00 + for an entire season of entertainment and good fun. Of course it’s not going to be world-class footie but maybe it took a Canadian to figure that out and not someone from a football hotbed.

For them to cast an elitist shadow on what this city has embraced as a true luxury and fairy tale is ignorant and self-righteous. Your example isn’t about people leaving to battle traffic or to get to work in time. Your example is about 2 guys who need to seriously consider selling their seasons to people who can appreciate the sport and what TFC means to soccer fans in this city.

Oldtimer
04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
2 guys came in late to the scalper seats next to me at the home opener.
They left at half time.

Get rid of the scalpers, and you'll get rid of the tourists.