PDA

View Full Version : Positives From Today

Shakes McQueen
04-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Well, to balance a lot of the post-match ranting, I thought I'd ask everyone to list one or two positives they drew from today's match.

While clearly the result wasn't great, I personally think there were a few positives to be gleaned from the match.

- We were once again creating some high quality chances on goal, like in KC.
- We frequently had Dallas on their heels, and had some great passing sequences.

This thread is for those of us who want to talk about what the team did well today. So keep the sarcastic shit to yourselves, too. :D

- Scott

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 06:55 PM
1. The emergence of Stefan Frei.

2. Dwayne de Rosario debuting the "shake and bake" aka the "Malvern shuffle" ... netting his first goal (hopefully of many) as a Red.

King Jeff
04-11-2009, 07:00 PM
1) Stefan Frei
2) Sam Cronin

Both look like they could be quality players in this league.

Can't see Frei sticking around long if he continues playing like this, though. I don't know whether Swiss players have EU status, but surely someone in Europe will give him a shot.

Shakes McQueen
04-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Ahh yes, I forgot to mention Frei. That kid is worth way more than we are paying him.

He's a kid compared to Sutts, but he looks so much more calm and composed than Sutton ever has, which is amazing.

His willingness to assertively claim balls in the box, saved us from a few hairy situations throughout the game - especially the one where he basically allowed himself to be clobbered by Cunningham.

- Scott

Nuvinho
04-11-2009, 07:02 PM
1. Frei is the real deal. I like the way he commands his area. Organizes the defense.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 07:05 PM
You have to figure that eventually Switzerland will come calling for his cap.

He already seems a better goalie than Benaglio.

We'll have Frei for this year and next year tops. After that he's gone. I see no way that he won't get a good job in Europe. Goalies of his size, athleticism, shot-stopping ability, distribution, command of his area and intelligence are too rare.

Norn_Irn_Toffee
04-11-2009, 07:06 PM
i agree, several positives from today,

- we didn`t get beat
- Frei and Serioux look immense at the back
- we are creating good scoring chances, sthing which lacked in the past
- we have more depth on the bench now
- cunningham got kicked several times :)
- DC just got beaten
- Dallas next week again, and my first away game, cannot wait!

Overall a not bad day :)

billyfly
04-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I didn't get drunk and spend lots of $$$.:)

Mark in Ottawa
04-11-2009, 07:13 PM
The youngsters (Frei, Cronon and Ibrahim) look ready for "Prime Time".

TFC had the ball in the other teams end much of the game and did generate a few decent chances. The stats about goal scoring chances are a bit misleading given the number of chances that missed the net.

There were a number of good crosses for TFC today which is something the team was known to le lacking in the past.

We get to play the same team next week... this will give the coaching staff a chance to review game film and come up with a good strategy instead of not playing them again for months when the rosters might look different and the teams playing differently.

torontocelt
04-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Agree with others in that Frei looks excellent so far, Cronin is is doing well and Serioux impressed me in defense. We even scored our first home goal in only two home matches.

Kevin
04-11-2009, 07:26 PM
I figured out which scarf to wear in the first half and which to wear in the second .... WE DIDN'T LOSE!

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 07:55 PM
1) The 1st half
2) The rest of the east dropping points

Jack
04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I agree. Frei and Cronin are keepers. Good drafting by Mo as who knows what we would have got in exchange for those picks. Cronin has done nothing but impress me so far.

Serioux did a decent job today. We need a more level-headed CB to pair with him and I think we will be much more solid at the back. Serioux is a good defender, but he's not exactly an anchor for the defense.

Ibbe showed flashes, but many times he still looked like a boy playing with men. The stupid dive when he had won past the defender did not impress me at all.

Jamaicanadian
04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/images/2009/03/24/sAjwOaRj.jpg

BosakWBC
04-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Ibby hypnotizing the defender with his fancy footwork,

too bad it was all Swedish... no finnish

Roogsy
04-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Ibby hypnotizing the defender with his fancy footwork,

too bad it was all Swedish... no finnish

:lol:

Good one.

Stefan Frei looks so surehanded back there. What a pickup by Mo. I guess it's another "lucky" pick on the part of Mo or can we put an end to his ability in the draft?

Cronin made some nice runs. I like this pickup as well. 2 guys that right out of the draft can make an impact is a good thing.

As for Ibby...maybe no finish (yet) but he's only 18! I think that is a positive.

egoodwin
04-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Also great, 127 was rocking today

Yohan
04-11-2009, 08:16 PM
sat in 126 today and all the Cunny taunts made my day
some really funny ones

GuelphStorm2007
04-11-2009, 08:26 PM
There were a few good moments today. The emergence of Frei, and Cronin. We did create a few chances in the oppenents area. Serouix is strtring to get better each game.

TorCanSoc
04-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah. Serioux agressively defending, then moving the ball out. Wynne again with some strong darting runs out. Frei, wow...bugger makes me feel sorry for Suts. Cronin is good, he just has to believe he belongs in this league. Robbo fantastic today. DeRo, welcome home man! Barrett...he knows he's got to score those. He's got that bread and butter turn, and shoot... it will come soon. I like this team.

dupont
04-11-2009, 09:01 PM
One positive would be that I noticed many more scoring opportunities (yes that were squandered) than the shots on goal stats suggest.
A lot of times TFC looked dangerous in the first half. I think we could have really pulled away before half time.
I only mention this because against Seattle I never got that feeling that TFC was looking dangerous.

GuelphStorm2007
04-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Dont worry guys this team will get better (Hopefully) . They just have to find a way to play a complete 90 minute game.

jabbronies
04-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Serioux was a beast out there. I hope he keeps it up against some of the bigger teams in the league.

Ibbey doing the "C. Ronaldo" footwork was hillarious.

Whoop
04-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Did not hear ``This is our House`` at all today.

That`s a huge positive.

billyfly
04-11-2009, 09:22 PM
^BMO marketing is pissed!

BRed
04-11-2009, 09:51 PM
I thought it was AWESOME! just awesome that I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to geico.

S_D
04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
The only good thing that happened today besides Dero potting a goal...

Cunningham didn't score.

apetimberlake
04-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Dwayne de Rosario controls the play on the pitch and I really hope him and Guevara will be able to play quick 1-2's off of each other as they attack from the midfield. It is becoming painfully obvious that there is noway Barrett will be able to do the job upfront.

billyfly
04-11-2009, 10:22 PM
The international forum is back!

Toronto Ruffrider
04-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Positives?

- Serioux was an animal!
- DeRo is DeRo
- the south-end concessions were speedy today - at least for me!
- we drew 2.7x as many fans as the KKKrew got for their home game today
- the Red Bulls are Shite

Toronto Ruffrider
04-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Dwayne de Rosario controls the play on the pitch and I really hope him and Guevara will be able to play quick 1-2's off of each other as they attack from the midfield. It is becoming painfully obvious that there is noway Barrett will be able to do the job upfront.

Barrett was better than this last season. Maybe he plays better when starting alongside Dichio. Dichio is good at holding the ball up for other attacking players.

ginkster88
04-11-2009, 10:36 PM
I want to see today's lineup from here on out, with Vitti in for Barrett. That looks nice in my head.

And Ibby was GREAT on the left wing, way better than I thought he would be, and Dero was all that more effective in the middle of the field.

pimpslapt
04-11-2009, 10:39 PM
serioux ........beast......legend.........motm

Roogsy
04-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Frei was man of the match for me. He made some showstopping saves that saved the point for us.

ginkster88
04-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I was upset when Sutton got the nod in the past two games, it's great that Carver has seen the light and given Frei his job back.

Yohan
04-11-2009, 10:48 PM
I was upset when Sutton got the nod in the past two games, it's great that Carver has seen the light and given Frei his job back.
you did realize that Frei was injured at CMB?

ginkster88
04-11-2009, 10:55 PM
^^ Yes I did, but Sutton made some nice stops in the 2nd half, which I think is why he got the start against Seattle. I could be wrong, but that's just how it looked.

Yohan
04-11-2009, 10:58 PM
^^ Yes I did, but Sutton made some nice stops in the 2nd half, which I think is why he got the start against Seattle. I could be wrong, but that's just how it looked.
i thought frei was not 100 percent for Seattle?

Rocco
04-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Today's game and atmosphere was overall better than last week. It was getting cold but by far not as bad as last week.

Man of the match: Frei
Hardest working player: Barrett
Fav moment: Malvern Shuffle

Rocco
04-11-2009, 11:51 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/images/2009/03/24/sAjwOaRj.jpg

and i'm stealing this for my display pic :p

tfcmanu
04-11-2009, 11:59 PM
sat in 126 today and all the Cunny taunts made my day
some really funny ones

TOhhhhh REJECT...classic!

Daveisonfire
04-12-2009, 12:04 AM
MALVERN SHUFFLE baby :D

Stryker
04-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Positives were Serioux, DeRo, Cronin and Frei.
Looks like all we have to do is replace all our players from the 2008 season and we'll have a great team. :rolleyes:

Pachuco
04-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Serioux was a beast defending. Robbo was a beast defending. Both of them need to learn how to pass the ball though.

Frei is TERRIBLE...

For the oposition to be facing ;) he is discustingly good, I can't see Sutton playing again this year unless Frei gets hurt of something.

Pachuco
04-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Oh, I thought Cronin was napping most of the game. I honestly was shocked when he got the player of the game, but what do I know. Everyone else seems to be impressed with him. He's obviously got quality. But I haven't seen what other people are seeing.

Blazer
04-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Well, to balance a lot of the post-match ranting, I thought I'd ask everyone to list one or two positives they drew from today's match.

- Scott

How about 3?

Stephan Frei
4 of a possible 6 points against Dallas is a reasonable expectation (we’ll see next week)
Our new go-go dancer on the capo stand in 112 :michael:

ExiledRed
04-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Oh, I thought Cronin was napping most of the game. I honestly was shocked when he got the player of the game, but what do I know. Everyone else seems to be impressed with him. He's obviously got quality. But I haven't seen what other people are seeing.

He flubbed his lines at least twice.

No big deal for a rookie, but MOTM is a stretch and a half.

That honour goes to the other rookie, Frei, who was excellent.

Shakes McQueen
04-12-2009, 08:57 AM
One positive is that this game confirmed my opinion that Carver will not lead us to win anything. Hell, I think even Mo was a better coach.

As I said in the first post, this thread isn't for sarcastic shots at players or staff. There's about a half-dozen other threads for that stuff.

- Scott

Pachuco
04-12-2009, 09:13 AM
He flubbed his lines at least twice.

No big deal for a rookie, but MOTM is a stretch and a half.

That honour goes to the other rookie, Frei, who was excellent.

Yeah for sure, Frei was man of the match in my eyes.

Mango Kid
04-12-2009, 09:33 AM
They played with an effort that was entirely absent last week and if not for the lack of finish, would've put that game away easy in the first half.

I'm a far happier camper than last week.

CoachGT
04-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Did not hear ``This is our House`` at all today.

That`s a huge positive.

You weren't listening! I heard it loudly partway through the first half and again after DeRo's goal!

Pigfynn
04-12-2009, 09:59 AM
They played with an effort that was entirely absent last week and if not for the lack of finish, would've put that game away easy in the first half.

I'm a far happier camper than last week.

I totally agree.

Just finished re-watching the game on PVR and after the first half it should have been 3-0 with even a little better finishing. Then if you skip to the last few minutes of the game after Dallas scored, we looked hungry again but it was too late.

We have to be a lot more cut throat and decisive when teams give us the chance to take them out of game. Kill or be killed as we found out.

rocktml
04-12-2009, 10:10 AM
I Loved How They Opened The Gates 1 Hour Before Game Time!!!

ensco
04-12-2009, 10:19 AM
The one really good thing that has emerged from the first four games is Frei. I think he may be one of the top three GKs in MLS.

Mrs. Workie
04-12-2009, 11:52 AM
The Second Capo Stand :)

Daveisonfire
04-12-2009, 11:53 AM
The Second Capo Stand :)

Agreed!

Get Workie a megaphone asap! :)

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2009, 12:07 PM
great counter attack, great passing (for the most part), great chances, Frei looked amazing

Ontario Arab
04-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Frei and Serioux for me....both outstanding. Both appear to have Big Big futures in front of them......

phonzo
04-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Frei..the one save when he grabbed the ball once it was way passed his head..sealed the deal for me..think that was 25th minute or so?

Ibby..I agree with Jack. He has some brilliant moments and then sometimes he just flubs it royally.

It was a tie not a loss..and finally the south stand looked pretty damn good from field side seats (who doesn't love free seats).

Mark in Ottawa
04-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Seattle lost so they can stop bragging! :p

Mark in Ottawa
04-12-2009, 02:51 PM
King Dave got into a TV interview before the game and got the chance to tell it like it is!!

Discipline the kids? Indeed!!