PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Harmse...

TOBOR !
04-11-2009, 05:32 PM
...must never again wear TFC red (or grey). Seriously.

Stefan Frei has been a surprisingly good pickup for this team. Remember the draft when we all wondered WTF we needed another 'keeper for ? After all, Edwards looked decent and we still have Sutton, right ? This man makes them both look like Sunday League goalies. Great reflexes and ball distribution - and what a wellie ! He'll score a goal in this league, mark my words. And we almost lost him today, for who knows how long ? Cunningham, or anybody, could easliy have crashed in and broken his leg on that headed back-pass from Harmse, from - what - the penalty spot ? FFS - show better judgement Kevin.

Wait.

Did I just ask KH to display good decision making skills ? The man who windmills his arms about inside his own 18 yard box and embarrasses the ref into giving away penalty kicks ?

Up near the halfway line he's the picture of composure. As cool as you like. Receiving opposing goalkicks under pressure, tapping them to a fellow TFCer. Wonderful stuff (Hey ! Wonderstuff - I hope I make more money in this than the next world ! Oops, I've digressed). But stick him inside his own third (where JC seems inclined to play him) and he becomes an invariable that the opposition can gain advantage from.

I'm not sure where he was when Richetti back-heeled that ball into the goal. To blame him for that would be unfair. For, to be honest, there were at least three other blokes standing about expecting a corner.

He tries in spite of himself, perhaps, but he is a liability, and he needs to be replaced before he joins the as yet two-membered Reda and Braz club.

dannyd
04-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Harmse is a joke. But even worse is Carver who insists on starting him every game.

Dirk Diggler
04-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Harmse is indeed a joke. That is the first word that comes to my mind to describe him as a football player. I'm tired of him killing all momentum, no matter where he is on the pitch, by punting the ball out to touch with no pressure on him what so ever. He should not be allowed to play. Seriously, please start Velez. Him and Chad Barrett must have some really incriminating stuff on Carver. There really is no other explanation.

Although I should add that Mo is at fault here as well. He left Carver with a very shitty choice to make (Velez or Harmse). I don't care that we don't have Marshall anymore (if that meant getting Serioux) ... what I do care about is the fact that you can never have such a huge hole at any position on the pitch ... especially the backline. Mo definitely dropped the ball HUGE in this regard (amongst many other).

Detroit_TFC
04-11-2009, 06:10 PM
I guess we will have to resort to civil disobedience to convince Carver to bring in Nana for Harmse.

Stryker
04-11-2009, 06:14 PM
But that was damn fine shoulder check on Cunty. :thumbsup:

GabrielHurl
04-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Shoulder??? It was an elbow from where I stood

InTheCrowd
04-11-2009, 07:07 PM
All I know is that he got nailed........ HARD. :hump:

Pachuco
04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
no idea how you guys can blame Harmse today. He really didn't do much wrong. He played his role.

Mr. Bigby
04-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Only if his "role" is to kick the damn ball to every Dallas player he could find!!!

felipe
04-11-2009, 07:49 PM
wow! I actually strongly agree with Pachuco...first time ever...

Roogsy
04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Harmse did not make any mistakes today...but he is still taking up a spot on the pitch.

He was not the problem today. For a group considered a top midfield in the league...these guys can't put pressure on anyone up front.

bhoybobby
04-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Is as useless at the back as Barrett is up front, shocking, Mo should get fired for signing this donkey

Beach_Red
04-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Is as useless at the back as Barrett is up front, shocking, Mo should get fired for signing this donkey

No, Harmse isn't as bad as Barrett, not even close.

bhoybobby
04-11-2009, 08:49 PM
No, Harmse isn't as bad as Barrett, not even close.

It's like comparing a soft turd to a hard turd, a turd's a turd

Beach_Red
04-11-2009, 08:50 PM
It's like comparing a soft turd to a hard turd, a turd's a turd

Okay, but Harmse isn't what's keeping this team from winning - the lack of scoring is still the biggest problem.

Now, whether that's because of the players on the team, or the way the coach chooses to use them and the game plan he uses is another question entirely.

Nazzer
04-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Harmse did not make any mistakes today...but he is still taking up a spot on the pitch.

He was not the problem today. For a group considered a top midfield in the league...these guys can't put pressure on anyone up front.

He made a mistake every time he touched the ball, all he did was boot the ball up the field uselessly. He needs to learn to control the ball and then distribute it to the midfielders. Instead, he punts it upfield so the other team can take control.

And the midfielders are of course going to look like shit when they have the ball flying over their heads every time Harmse touches the ball.

Nazzer
04-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Okay, but Harmse isn't what's keeping this team from winning - the lack of scoring is still the biggest problem.

Now, whether that's because of the players on the team, or the way the coach chooses to use them and the game plan he uses is another question entirely.

The lack of scoring is related to Harmse. By his lack of ability to get the ball to the midfielders succesfully he keeps the ball away from the offense of the team.

Vince Whirlwind
04-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Watching the Red Bulls/Dynamo game and both Boyes & Goldwaithe look miles ahead of Harmse.

TFC John
04-11-2009, 09:27 PM
I hated Harmse in the midfield last year. When he got moved to the back I thought he was actually improving. But this year he is showing he just can't play at this level. He stands around watching the play and then panics when he gets the ball. Velez may not be great but I'll take him over Harmse anyday.

Nazzer
04-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Mo really needs to trade either Frei or Sutton for a proven MLS centre back. Edwards showed last year he can handle being a back up keeper. The team doesn't need three keepers, so use one to replace Harmse.

morgank1986
04-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I didn't think Harmse was a liability today. However he is taking up a spot on the field. I think today we all cannot be too hard on him. After all he laid out Cunningham. Something each of us dreamed of doing last year.

Beach_Red
04-11-2009, 10:05 PM
The lack of scoring is related to Harmse. By his lack of ability to get the ball to the midfielders succesfully he keeps the ball away from the offense of the team.

Not today. So many chances broke down after two passes in the Dallas end of the field.

People here are obsessed with the backline, but today, at least, it wasn't the problem.

twistedchinaman
04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
I didn't think Harmse was a liability today. However he is taking up a spot on the field. I think today we all cannot be too hard on him. After all he laid out Cunningham. Something each of us dreamed of doing last year.

Now that I would pay to see. Oh sweet vindication, you lucky bastards got to see it live! :D

Still, HAAAAAAAAARRRRMSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

(Had to do it, it was called for)

Pachuco
04-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Look, I know Harmse isn't the greatest player. But today is not a day where he deserves a dedicated thread to talk about how shit he is. We didnt win because we didn't score enough goals.

reggie
04-12-2009, 12:45 AM
The guy is a bench player...making 40k a yr WTF do you guys want from him...
blame MOstake by the lake for not doing his job again...he had all winter to find a striker and a cb...i dont see them.
he resigns his buddies,RR DannyD,no depth on the bench,what happends if jimmy goes down,we have no left sided players...

J .
04-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Ya'll people are nuts. Harmse had a pretty good match. He played hard and did what he had to do.

The problem is our midfield isnt hanging onto the ball and while we are creating chances which we are not finishing. Barrett puts in one and things change. Carver has them pushing up quick and we dont have any possession. Not having Ricketts work well with the team is also a problem I think.

Honestly people, like seriously. We have got points 3/4 matches. If we keep on this path, we make the playoffs.

TOBOR !
04-12-2009, 07:39 AM
You people are on crack - who the fcuk passes back to their own 'keeper from the penalty spot with two opposing forwards bearing down on them ? That is the initial point of the thread. I don't care squat about what else he may or may not have done yesterday. He makes poor choices in the most dangerous areas - he is a liability.

Shakes McQueen
04-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Kevin Harmse...is both underrated and overrated at the same time.

Harmse hasn't had THAT much to do with our two draws and loss this season, aside from the unfortunate hand ball in the box. He's not great, but I firmly believe he's not as bad as some people think, either.

He shouldn't be a regular starter for our team, if we are going to be a real MLS Cup contender, but he also isn't even close to our most pressing issue.

Our offense failed us in Columbus and against Dallas. They failed to create chances in Columbus, and they failed to finish chances against Dallas.

I think our central midfield has been as culpable as Harmse so far, when it comes to our defending.

- Scott

dannyd
04-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Kevin Harmse...is both underrated and overrated at the same time.

Harmse hasn't had THAT much to do with our two draws and loss this season, aside from the unfortunate hand ball in the box. He's not great, but I firmly believe he's not as bad as some people think, either.

He shouldn't be a regular starter for our team, if we are going to be a real MLS Cup contender, but he also isn't even close to our most pressing issue.

Our offense failed us in Columbus and against Dallas. They failed to create chances in Columbus, and they failed to finish chances against Dallas.

I think our central midfield has been as culpable as Harmse so far, when it comes to our defending.

- Scott

I disagree, our central midfield created many chances today for our strikers. Our strikers have failed us EVERY game so far (who's scored all our goals? - midfielders, defenders and the other team). As for failing to create chances in Columbus, well it was DeRo who's free kick created the equaliser. Against KC, it was the DeRo & Guevara show (plus Brennan's goal).

Regarding Harmse, it's not so much what he does, but what he DOESN'T do. He kills our momentum by giving up posession so easily, and I think that is killing us. Look at Serioux, he never intentionally gives the ball away under no pressure. He always looks for a red shirt, slows down the play when needed. Why Velez isn't starting I have no idea, he's a little better defensively, plus he can score off set pieces. Carver needs to give his head a shake.

Davenport
04-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Questions should be asked of Johnston for signing him, and Carver for picking him.
It's not his fault he's not good enough, but he plainly isn't and shouldn't be playing at this level.

Shakes McQueen
04-12-2009, 09:05 AM
I disagree, our central midfield created many chances today for our strikers. Our strikers have failed us EVERY game so far (who's scored all our goals? - midfielders, defenders and the other team). As for failing to create chances in Columbus, well it was DeRo who's free kick created the equaliser. Against KC, it was the DeRo & Guevara show (plus Brennan's goal).

Regarding Harmse, it's not so much what he does, but what he DOESN'T do. He kills our momentum by giving up posession so easily, and I think that is killing us. Look at Serioux, he never intentionally gives the ball away under no pressure. He always looks for a red shirt, slows down the play when needed. Why Velez isn't starting I have no idea, he's a little better defensively, plus he can score off set pieces. Carver needs to give his head a shake.

I've seen many instances of Wynne, Brennan and Serioux clearing the ball upfield under little pressure. Less so from Serioux, but plenty from Wynne and Brennan.

With the exception of DeRo's goal yesterday, we've only scored in one game. DeRo's doesn't really get any credit for the own goal, because it should have been an easy clearance for Columbus, and the defender just blew the header big time.

Harmse hasn't been great, but he certainly hasn't been worse than Jimmy B so far, defensively. And yet only one of the two is being mercilessly antagonized for the job they are doing.

We need someone better than Harmse at CB - I agree with that assessment completely. I just think we have more pressing issues up front right now, is all.

- Scott