PDA

View Full Version : TFC-FCD Player Ratings

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Frei - 8: Excellent game from him with many stops and unfortunate to give up the late goal, it was a good backheel from Richetti. I kind of knew it was going to happen because the announcers jinxed us by talking about a possible Frei clean sheet.
Wynne - 7: Solid defensively and threatened going forward and made Dallas look like fools from time to time.
Serioux - 7.5: Solid game in containing Cooper and that's not an easy feat. Provided the assist with a long throw on the TFC goal.
Brennan - 6: Grinding game and had a few giveaways. No major highs or lows.
Robinson - 7: The usual Robbo-esque match. Quietly solid and unflashy. Yeah, that's a word...
Cronin - 7: A solid all around good game from him; unfortunate on his heavy touch when he was nearly alone on goal but he'll learn. I'm loving this player more and more.
Ibrahim - 7: Looked very lively out on the left and has made an excellent case in keeping the shirt from Ricketts. It took often two FCD players to contain the slippery youngster. Subbed.
Guevara - 7: Tricky in possession and made some excellent passes, it's unfortunate that Robbo overran one in the box.
DeRosario - 8: Excellent header for the goal and was back to his usual self. I still can't believe this player is ours. I was a bit disappointed to see him try to buy a penalty in the box but I assume it's because of his competitiveness. Subbed.
Barrett - 5: How many times can I write the same thing? Fantastic effort as usual and you can see he's not lazy and is his own worst critic. He can be forgiven for his scuffed shot in around the 10th minute because there were a lot of legs in the area (it may have taken a deflection that slowed the shot down) but his free header later he defintely should have put home. It's his tremendous effort that makes me still like him, unlike Cunningham. He'll get it eventually, he keeps creating chances and puts himself in a position to threaten. Subbed.

Dichio - 6: Changed the nature of the TFC attack and had a few looks but unfortunately couldn't score. Booked.
Ricketts - (4): Was invisible during his 15 minutes.
Vitti - (NR): Didn't have a chance to make an impact.

Carver - 8: Made changes to the line-up and 2 of 3 paid off. We'll never know for sure, but in retrospect, Vitti should have started. Carver isn't a psychic though.

Referee - 5: Was excellent in this match in terms of running the match. However, Barrett was probably deserving in earning a penalty in the first half. That was his first and least bad mistake. In the second half, he missed GK Ray Burse stepping out of his box with the ball in his hands, like Edwards did last year. That should have been a yellow and a free kick on the edge of the box for TFC. That's a good opportunity wasted by the referee. Lastly and WORST MISTAKE, the one that cost us the goal. On the corner kick, McCarty placed the ball well outside the allowed area for a corner kick. The ball looked about 10-15 cm outside and Dallas went ahead and scored on the play. Would it have made a difference had it been back those 10-15 cm? Probably not and Dallas probably still would have scored, but it was clearly against the rules and should have been taken again. Had the referee not been off in dreamland, we might be speaking of a TFC win. It's a shame the referee had to go ruin his otherwise excellent performance.

MOTM: Frei. Made several difficult saves from a variety of locations. Well done.

Most impressed by opposition's: Kenny Cooper. It looks like that guy could score at any moment. Looks ever so dangerous. Van den Bergh comes in a close second on this one with his good service.

Detroit_TFC
04-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Carver an 8? I'm by no means a Carver-hater but 8 seems wildly overstated with the general lackluster performance of the team and poor timing of the substitutions.

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Carver an 8? I'm by no means a Carver-hater but 8 seems wildly overstated with the general lackluster performance of the team and poor timing of the substitutions.

If you're interested, it's because he picked a team that looked very lively in the first half (it should have been something like 3-0) and therefore improved the play vs. the Seattle game. As for the subs, I understood them as:

1. Carver was looking to bank on the effect Dichio has had in prior matches.
2. The Ricketts sub I agreed less with it because Ibbe was playing so well but Ricketts is a good player when he's on, I understood that sub as giving him a chance to do his thing and give all his energy in 15 minutes rather than over 90.
3. Vitti did come on too late to do anything, I'll give you that.

In my view, to evaluate the subs, we can't look on it retrospectively otherwise it gives us a distorted view of what happened.

Maybe a 7 is more appropriate for JC, but all in all, he's not incompetent like many make him out to be.

TFC Bhoy
04-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I agree with pretty well all of your ratings except for Carver too. I think that he didn't make the right subs at the right time. Vitti should have come on earlier def before RR.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 05:48 PM
If you're interested, it's because he picked a team that looked very lively in the first half (it should have been something like 3-0) and therefore improved the play vs. the Seattle game. As for the subs, I understood them as:

2. The Ricketts sub I agreed less with it because Ibbe was playing so well but Ricketts is a good player when he's on, I understood that sub as giving him a chance to do his thing and give all his energy in 15 minutes rather than over 90.

In my view, to evaluate the subs, we can't look on it retrospectively otherwise it gives us a distorted view of what happened.

Maybe a 7 is more appropriate for JC, but all in all, he's not incompetent like many make him out to be.

Should have been "3 - 0" with 2 shots on target, hmmm interesting.

I didn't know you could score without shooting on target.

I guessed they all fizzed wide. I must have dozed off.

Hard to believe considering our play was so scintillating.

dannyd
04-11-2009, 05:50 PM
lol @ Carver is 8... do you mean minus 8? This man is way out of his depth, he's an assistant coach, not a leader...

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 05:54 PM

Of course, hitting the woodwork is not registered as a shot on target but it is clearly a scoring chance. Hmm, interesting. :D

A lot of people are upset after the result and I believe it's encouraging them to focus on the negatives.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 05:55 PM
lol @ Carver is 8... do you mean minus 8? This man is way out of his depth, he's an assistant coach, not a leader...

But he was the caretaker of Newcastle ... you know that's in the EPL right?

Carver deserved a 10 rating because of his awesome coaching pedigree (even though coach's don't get ratings). He's achieved so much, in such a short period of time. It's little wonder why people have the utmost faith in him.

Thank you John Carver. You're the best. Never leave us please. When I watch a John Carver prepared team play soccer its as if I've never watched the sport before.

And his honesty ... well what can you say about a coach who blames Rick Titus for losing him hardware. You really do have to applaud the man.

So, once again ... thank you.

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 05:56 PM

Lol, the knives are out for JC. I still stand by my above explanation about the subs, though.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Of course, hitting the woodwork is not registered as a shot on target but it is clearly a scoring chance. Hmm, interesting. :D

A lot of people are upset after the result and I believe it's encouraging them to focus on the negatives.

Point 1 .... that ball was already deflected. It was a poorly hit ball that was fortunate to almost find its way into the net.

Point 2 ... what team takes 100% of their chances? Is this now the 3-0 you're referring to?

Beach_Red
04-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Lol, the knives are out for JC. I still stand by my above explanation about the subs, though.

I don't know, it really looks like two weeks in a row he got badly outcoached. First by an expansion team and then by a team that started the season 0-3.

Maybe it SHOULD have been 3-0 at the half, but it wasn't and Dallas adjusted and TFC didn't.

OneLoveOneEric
04-11-2009, 06:02 PM
7.5's for our defenders? Are you kidding?
Our defense is atrocious. How many free headers did we give away inside our box?
Why do they (I'm looking at you, Serioux,) feel the need to panic and punt the ball directly to an opponent every time they get it? Lift your fucking head up and make a pass out from the back!!
This team will go absolutely nowhere with the defense we have.
That equalizer was coming all day.

Detroit_TFC
04-11-2009, 06:02 PM
The Vitti sub is what is messing me up so bad. Carver should have seen that Barrett was imploding and got him out of there, @ '60 or '65 IMHO.

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Point 1 .... that ball was already deflected. It was a poorly hit ball that was fortunate to almost find its way into the net.

Point 2 ... what team takes 100% of their chances? Is this now the 3-0 you're referring to?

1. True, but lucky or no, it's still a shot of the bar.

2. Just because something is improbable, doesn't make it impossible.

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Our defense is atrocious. How many free headers did we give away inside our box?
Why do they (I'm looking at you, Serioux,) feel the need to panic and punt the ball directly to an opponent every time they get it? Lift your fucking head up and make a pass out from the back!!

I am not. :D And the 7.5 was just for Serioux, not the whole defence.

Beach_Red
04-11-2009, 06:07 PM

People keep saying this and I don't get it. This team needs to SCORE.

It's a problem that could be solved with a DP striker right now.

Fushida
04-11-2009, 06:08 PM

Are you serious? Obviously he's talking about Barrett and Ibrahim's missed chances.. The first half was a pretty decent performance with okay movement. I don't know what you're expecting here.

But I also disagree with the Carver 8.. letting the team sit back in the second half was just awful. And the Vitti sub should have came earlier for sure..

redcard47
04-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Referee - 5: Was excellent in this match in terms of running the match. However, Barrett was probably deserving in earning a penalty in the first half. That was his first and least bad mistake. In the second half, he missed GK Ray Burse stepping out of his box with the ball in his hands, like Edwards did last year. That should have been a yellow and a free kick on the edge of the box for TFC. That's a good opportunity wasted by the referee. Lastly and WORST MISTAKE, the one that cost us the goal. On the corner kick, McCarty placed the ball well outside the allowed area for a corner kick. The ball looked about 10-15 cm outside and Dallas went ahead and scored on the play.Would it have made a difference had it been back those 10-15 cm? Probably not and Dallas probably still would have scored, but it was clearly against the rules and should have been taken again. Had the referee not been off in dreamland, we might be speaking of a TFC win. It's a shame the referee had to go ruin his otherwise excellent performance.

Bolded point 1: Blame goes to the Canadian AR in that half for not calling it, the referee was too far away to see that Burse had carried the ball outside the penalty area.

Italicised and bolded point 2: Holy clutching at straws Radioactive Man...the ball was 3-4cm off the corner arc, if that. Also, if Dallas would have scored regardless, how can that minor transgression be the "WORST MISTAKE?"

dannyd
04-11-2009, 06:09 PM

I agree with you except for Serioux, I thought he was the only defender who looked composed on the ball and tried to keep posession. Maybe you meant Harmse?...

OneLoveOneEric
04-11-2009, 06:10 PM

I see a huge part of our offensive problem starting from the back. I've said this all over the board, so I won't go on the rant again, but our defenders all lack the confidence to initiate play from the back. The ball comes toward them, and they boot it away without a moment's thought, like kids in a playground. Because of this, we give up possession constantly, and our midfielders and forwards never even get on the ball in useful positions. A confident centre-half takes the ball from the opposition, and plays it back purposefully to his own team to start an attack.
We can't/don't do this, so our forwards never even get a chance to shine.

Carts
04-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Ref a 5...?

I give the ref a negative-19 out of 10...

Carts...

Beach_Red
04-11-2009, 06:15 PM
I see a huge part of our offensive problem starting from the back.

Maybe, but today there were plenty of times when the defense got the ball up and no play developed at all. It really looked like there was game plan at all.

I think the time has passed to blame an inability to score at home against Dallas on the back line.

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Bolded point 1: Blame goes to the Canadian AR in that half for not calling it, the referee was too far away to see that Burse had carried the ball outside the penalty area.

Italicised and bolded point 2: Holy clutching at straws Radioactive Man...the ball was 3-4cm off the corner arc, if that. Also, if Dallas would have scored regardless, how can that minor transgression be the "WORST MISTAKE?"

Regardless of the actual distance out of the corner area (what is that actually called, anyway), and that those few centimetres probably wouldn't have changed the play. But what I was trying to get at was that it was in violation of the rules and should have been re-taken. It's like if a ball was not put on the spot for a penalty, it surely would have been re-taken. I don't see why it would be any different here.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Are you serious? Obviously he's talking about Barrett and Ibrahim's missed chances.. The first half was a pretty decent performance with okay movement. I don't know what you're expecting here.

But I also disagree with the Carver 8.. letting the team sit back in the second half was just awful. And the Vitti sub should have came earlier for sure..

Oh Im sorry, was there not another team playing?

I guess we don't count those.

And secondly ... Ibrahim and Barrett missed the net by country mile's. OK. It was never certain that the ball was going to end up in the back of the net on either of those "chances".

When you miss a sitter in front of a gaping net ... then you can chalk up a goal on your fictional scoreboard.

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Oh Im sorry, was there not another team playing?

I guess we don't count those.

And secondly ... Ibrahim and Barrett missed the net by country mile's. OK. It was never certain that the ball was going to end up in the back of the net on either of those "chances".

When you miss a sitter in front of a gaping net ... then you can chalk up a goal on your fictional scoreboard.

Ugh, all this bickering between everyone is why I typically avoid the forum for 12 hours a loss. I should follow my own rule. All I was trying to say was that had TFC taken advantage of its amazing chances, it would have been something like 3-0. And those won't necessarily be represented as a shot on goal for a variety of reasons.

I'm off, and by saying this, I'm honestly not targeting you but it's a strategy I would strongly recommend to everyone.

tfc2007
04-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Frei - 7.5: Excellent game from him with many stops and unfortunate to give up the late goal, it was a good backheel from Richetti. I kind of knew it was going to happen because the announcers jinxed us by talking about a possible Frei clean sheet.

DeRosario - 8: Excellent header for the goal and was back to his usual self. I still can't believe this player is ours. I was a bit disappointed to see him try to buy a penalty in the box but I assume it's because of his competitiveness. Subbed.

MOTM: Frei. Made several difficult saves from a variety of locations. Well done.

If frei is to be MOTM would he not have to have the highest rating?
Anyways, i still would give MOTM to frei, but i would up his rating to 8.5.
He made many good saves, especially in the wind with balls changing direction **kenny cooper shot in 2nd half.
also the hit from cunningham he did well to hold onto the ball and take a what could've been a game costing header from harmse into a decent play.

Nuvinho
04-11-2009, 07:06 PM
I don't think you can blame Ricketts for anything. He had 4 plays in the 15 minutes.

He made 2 crosses, which were well defended by the Dallas backline. He cut in and made a through pass, that had a little too much weight. The last thing he did was make a good tackle to hold up Dallas for making a run.

Barrett on the other hand, still plays with a lot of energy, but I would of liked to see Vitti in earlier.

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 07:12 PM
If frei is to be MOTM would he not have to have the highest rating?
Anyways, i still would give MOTM to frei, but i would up his rating to 8.5.
He made many good saves, especially in the wind with balls changing direction **kenny cooper shot in 2nd half.
also the hit from cunningham he did well to hold onto the ball and take a what could've been a game costing header from harmse into a decent play.

You got me there, touché.

rocker
04-11-2009, 07:29 PM
the ref had this strange tendency to fail to call fouls until enough protests were made.

CoachGT
04-12-2009, 09:56 AM
the ref had this strange tendency to fail to call fouls until enough protests were made.

Not sure this was the case - he just seemed to take a long time to make calls. A couple of times he tried to play advantage when the ball was obviously going to the other team. Don't know if he was just being defensive and trying to show a reason or if he was just out of touch.

Can't dispute Barrett's effort, but he should have buried that open header on the rebound off the bar. Empty net and all.

There was some commotion amongst our players during the corner where FCD scored. DeRo wanted off, and a couple of players seemed more intent on signalling that to the bench than taking positions. Lack of focus, even for a couple of seconds, was what cost us IMO.

Ibby ran out of steam about 5 minutes before he was subbed out. Amazed when he "manhandled" 11 and the ref bought it!

DeRo was his usual creative self, and Frei and Cronin both show that they belong here.

Anyone else find it strange that all of the goals have been scored against the wind in both of our home games?

nimamalek
04-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Carver 5 - this is the second game his tactics have cost us points, Vitti/Dichio instead of Barrett would have been a 3-1 win for us and in the Sounders game, Dero up front would have given us some points

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Bit disappointed but not surprised with the line up.
Everyone played relatively well, i would have preferred Vitti instead of Dichio and i was saddened to see that Ricketts had little effect when he came on (other comments make me think that it could be that i have to watch him again as it was 5am here and i hadnt gone to sleep yet)
Barrett certainly tried his hardest and im sure itll pay off soon enough, you could see he was frustrated. Frei was unbelieveable and i didnt notice Cronin which is neither good nor bad. I think id still prefer him in the DM role as opposed to a winger.
Thought Ibbe played fantastically as well.

Ontario Arab
04-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Frei - 8: Excellent game from him with many stops and unfortunate to give up the late goal, it was a good backheel from Richetti. I kind of knew it was going to happen because the announcers jinxed us by talking about a possible Frei clean sheet.
Wynne - 7: Solid defensively and threatened going forward and made Dallas look like fools from time to time.
Serioux - 7.5: Solid game in containing Cooper and that's not an easy feat. Provided the assist with a long throw on the TFC goal.
Brennan - 6: Grinding game and had a few giveaways. No major highs or lows.
Robinson - 7: The usual Robbo-esque match. Quietly solid and unflashy. Yeah, that's a word...
Cronin - 7: A solid all around good game from him; unfortunate on his heavy touch when he was nearly alone on goal but he'll learn. I'm loving this player more and more.
Ibrahim - 7: Looked very lively out on the left and has made an excellent case in keeping the shirt from Ricketts. It took often two FCD players to contain the slippery youngster. Subbed.
Guevara - 7: Tricky in possession and made some excellent passes, it's unfortunate that Robbo overran one in the box.
Barrett - 5: How many times can I write the same thing? Fantastic effort as usual and you can see he's not lazy and is his own worst critic. He can be forgiven for his scuffed shot in around the 10th minute because there were a lot of legs in the area (it may have taken a deflection that slowed the shot down) but his free header later he defintely should have put home. It's his tremendous effort that makes me still like him, unlike Cunningham. He'll get it eventually, he keeps creating chances and puts himself in a position to threaten. Subbed.

Dichio - 6: Changed the nature of the TFC attack and had a few looks but unfortunately couldn't score. Booked.
Ricketts - (4): Was invisible during his 15 minutes.
Vitti - (NR): Didn't have a chance to make an impact.

Carver - 8: Made changes to the line-up and 2 of 3 paid off. We'll never know for sure, but in retrospect, Vitti should have started. Carver isn't a psychic though.

Referee - 5: Was excellent in this match in terms of running the match. However, Barrett was probably deserving in earning a penalty in the first half. That was his first and least bad mistake. In the second half, he missed GK Ray Burse stepping out of his box with the ball in his hands, like Edwards did last year. That should have been a yellow and a free kick on the edge of the box for TFC. That's a good opportunity wasted by the referee. Lastly and WORST MISTAKE, the one that cost us the goal. On the corner kick, McCarty placed the ball well outside the allowed area for a corner kick. The ball looked about 10-15 cm outside and Dallas went ahead and scored on the play. Would it have made a difference had it been back those 10-15 cm? Probably not and Dallas probably still would have scored, but it was clearly against the rules and should have been taken again. Had the referee not been off in dreamland, we might be speaking of a TFC win. It's a shame the referee had to go ruin his otherwise excellent performance.

Most impressed by opposition's: Kenny Cooper. It looks like that guy could score at any moment. Looks ever so dangerous. Van den Bergh comes in a close second on this one with his good service.

Actually he is paid to make the correct decisions.....btw the are right on Vitti should have started with Barrett up front.....this had better be the case next game or Carver gets a 4 from me......8 is out of this world we gave away 2 points.

FluSH
04-12-2009, 01:06 PM

Vitti got garbage minutes... I like your ratings... on point.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Frei .....10 a great match...no chance on the goal
Wynne....8 another solid effort
Serioux....7 a great pick up by Mo
Brennan...5 another sub par effort
Robinson..7 Wales loss TFC gain
Cronin.....9 great day...deserved man of the match award
Ibrahim....6 not bad..would like to see him get more match time
Guevara...6 not doing much as of late...that will change
DeRo ....7 decent game...good goal
Barrett.....7 needs to lighten up..tries too hard
Dichio......5 no comment
Ricketts...5 no comment
Carver.....8 the calling out the team was great..the team listened

ref..........5 no comment

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:51 PM

apparently we were singing one before the season started , or so we were told , FUCK YOU MLSE