PDA

View Full Version : TFC v FC Dallas POST GAME THREAD

Pages : [1] 2

TFC USA
04-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Embarrassing.

EDIT: Now I have my "thoughts".

I've defended Carver in the past but now I can't anymore. Same for Barrett. I can't anymore.

DeRo, Guevara, Robinson, Wynne, Brennan and Frei are the ONLY players on this team that are currently worth their money. I'm tired of this garbage week in and week out.

Contenders? Forget about it. Time for a change in style.

A great 1st half we played. It resembled real football. But naturally Carver's teams sit back and just enjoy the lead in the 2nd half. The goal from Dallas was coming and we didn't deserve to win in the end.

Barrett should be benched and Carver is on my shite list. Inept play on the pitch and horrible tactics along the touchline means this team is just below average.

Cannon
04-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Barrett played quite well today IMO. Definitely deserves another start.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Third terrible performance in a row, 1 point from 6 at home ....

Detroit_TFC
04-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Ok ok ok I'll say something positive.

Frei is probably the best rookie GK in the league.

kodiakTFC
04-11-2009, 05:02 PM
You can't really blame Carver for that; you can blame TFC being the worst finishing team quite possibly ever. How many times did Barrett miss the target or put it right at the goalie? About two of his chances were for sure goals. Please, lets give Vitti the game against Chivas USA.

On a positive side at least Frei and Serioux were incredible. Also, I thought DeRo, Cronin, Robinson, and Guevara played very well.

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Dissappointing....we didn't take our chances....

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Overall I thought our place was decent, we didn't finish....we had multiple chances and didn't put the ball in the back of the net...

LucaGol

If we had better chances to "take" ... than maybe the outcome would have been different.

Our play is very toxic and negative. Very little movement, ingenuity and a lot of standing around.

We're playing very bad to be blunt.

Waggy
Positives? Cronin played really well. Frei obviously. Dero looked great. Serioux played well. Robo played well. It wasn't a poor performance. Just poor finishing. We need to take advantage of our early chances. Last week, Seattle got 2 chances and scored 2 goals. We had 3 or 4 and only came away with 1. But we still played a solid game

TFC USA

I don't care. The main purpose of playing the forward role is to SCORE GOALS. Just 10 seconds in and he was too slow to put the ball into an opening f*cking net. So many missed chances, I don't care if he played "well".

If Vitti isn't starting against Dallas next week then I'll assume Barrett has photos of Carver nailing Mo's pet.

ensco
04-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Carver is obsessed by defensive football. I'm tired of the style we play.

Who here really believes Harmse is better than Dichio? Why do we not play our best eleven?

Carver could have moved Robinson back into CB, played Cronin in his natural spot, as a defensive midfielder, and played Barrett or Vitti wide (good forwards go into midfield all the time).

I'm sick of these supposed "truths", that Robinson doesn't like CB (he'll play wherever the team needs him), that Dichio can't go 90 minutes (this is a complete fiction, he's injury-prone, it's not the same), driving what our team does.

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 05:06 PM
We didn't play well in the 2nd half but the game should have been over in the first half....i agree we are not playing to our potential at the moment...

forza_tfc
04-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I mostly blame Carver -- why he has a hard on for Barrett I don't know. Ricketts was a ridiculous sub. It was day and night compared to Ibrahim. I also thought Dichio wasn't a smart sub either. WTF is with these guys. With about 10 minutes left I knew FCD was going to score because they had all the possession they wanted and were flinging shots from everywhere. I'm so pissed right now.

FluSH
04-11-2009, 05:08 PM
My previous comments:

Dissapointing result... The team just gave up in the 2nd half or they ran out of steam.

Notes:

Guevara was MOTM... he was all over the pitch in the first half... second half could have been better, but then again everyone sucked balls in the 2nd half.

Ricketts instead of Vitti? I don't know what Carver was thinking but Vitti should've been there a long time ago... you can see when the team is running out of steam... get some fresh legs in there.

Barrett... man I felt sorry for him. It's all psychological now. He had chances, we could have been up 3-0 in the first half. I hope he shakes this off.

Faud missed a KILLER as well... let's not all swing the guilotine at Barrett.

Frei and Serioux played exceptional.

Redcoe15
Barrett deserves to sit his worthless ass on the bench the next game. How do you not miss an open net shot like that? TFC should have scored two or three more goals if it had been anyone other than Barrett. Instead we drew at home in the last few minutes to a team we should have wiped like a dirty ass at home.

DIS-FUCKING-GUSTING!!!:incazzato:

LucaGol
It's just a very disappointing start to the season.

If we're aiming for a playoff spot, dropping points to an expansion team (who don't play like one, but still) and a non-playoff team (I believe) at home is definitely not a good way to start.

Marc"2L"
We did not have multiple chances... we had 2 shots on goal.

King Jeff
04-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Too early to suggest Frei might be our player of the season?

Disappointing result, but at least the effort was there this time. Dichio to start next game, please. His ability to hold up the ball should better suit De Rosario and Guevara.

BleedRed
04-11-2009, 05:09 PM
carver must go...I'm tired of his kick and run fucking bull shit and experiments...experiment with another team with fans who don't give a fuck...

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 05:10 PM

10 shots total Mark. Barret should have scored on 2 occasions....

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 05:11 PM

+ 1.

We have very little in the way of creative play. It's very bad soccer to watch quite frankly.

forza_tfc
It's just a very disappointing start to the season.

If we're aiming for a playoff spot, dropping points to an expansion team (who don't play like one, but still) and a non-playoff team (I believe) at home is definitely not a good way to start.

We struggled with the worst team in the league. These guys better smarten up otherwise I'm getting a bad feeling for this season.

dantdot
Someone merge the postgame threads.

Barrett shouldn't have started, good intentions don't score goals.

FluSH
come on now...

FAUD missed the easiest goal opportunity of the game... let's not all blame Barrett... he's in a psychological slump, but once he's out you will see goals raining down.

LucaGol
10 shots total Mark. Barret should have scored on 2 occasions....

He meant on target.

Shots that are closer to the corner flag than the goal are useless.

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 05:13 PM
He meant on target.

Shots that are closer to the corner flag than the goal are useless.

I realize that Barrett's headr off the Guevara crossbar shot never hit the target but was a golden scoring opporunity.

THEREFORE

The shot was not on target but was a missed chance.

Sally Mack
04-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Barrett may not finish, but atleast he's there for the chances. He needs some confidence, and benching him isn't necessarily the solution. Ibbe had a great game imo. Vitti should have been introduced earlier if you ask me.

To their credit, they played much tighter in marking and following the opposing players in transition. Guevara wasn't up to his best (though his mediocre performances are still better than most players' best performances). I've given up on ricketts.

TFC USA
04-11-2009, 05:14 PM
If I must give credit to MO, he's a good drafter.

Other than that, the players he brings in are such crap.

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 05:14 PM
come on now...

FAUD missed the easiest goal opportunity of the game... let's not all blame Barrett... he's in a psychological slump, but once he's out you will see goals raining down.

Ya Ibby had that chance too...like i said, in the first half we could have scored 2 or 3 and this game would have been over....2nd half, different story

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 05:15 PM
My previous comments:

Faud is 17.
Chad is a professional football player.

Barrett, man what to do about Barrett. For the sake of the team and our season he needs to stay on the bench next week.

We played an ok game against one of the worst teams in the league. When can we legitimately start questioning the expectations of this team and MLSE as a whole?

TFC USA
04-11-2009, 05:16 PM

Which has been our slogan since 2007.

That's what I take from that quote.

Dirk Diggler
It's time for Carver to stop calling out the players in front of the media and take the blame himself. Sure ... the players are to blame as well but at some point you have to take responsibility as the manager and sketch up a new blue print. We are severly lacking creativity and that is quite disturbing considering how our midfield is supposedly the best, or amongst the best, in the league.

FluSH
Ya Ibby had that chance too...like i said, in the first half we could have scored 2 or 3 and this game would have been over....2nd half, different story

I think Carver should have made some substitutions early in the 2nd half... I like Dichio and all but we needed some speed instead of strenght/dominance. Vitti would have been my first choice, followed by Dichio, followed by Ricketts.

Redcoe15
DIS-FUCKING-GUSTING!!! That's all I can say! Sit Barrett down a game or two because he's useless! How many goals would we have scored if it had been anyone other than him? If not for Frei and Serioux, we would have been smoked by a team that had no business beating us at home! Something has to be done here because all the hope and promise at the start of the season is going down the toilet! :incazzato:

TFC07
04-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Barrett over Vitti? Really Carver? What is wrong with you?

This team is awful to watch. If Barrett starts the next game, then I am not watching the game.

LucaGol
We never looked like keeping the 3 points ever in the game ... Dallas kept stinging the palms of Frei time after time, they had most of the possession, look more confident on the ball ... the equalizer was always around the corner. Tbh I was surprised they didn't nick the winner in stoppages.

swan
I don't care. The main purpose of playing the forward role is to SCORE GOALS. Just 10 seconds in and he was too slow to put the ball into an opening f*cking net. So many missed chances, I don't care if he played "well".

If Vitti isn't starting against Dallas next week then I'll assume Barrett has photos of Carver nailing Mo's pet.

maybe he was just to far away to get to it

Dirk Diggler
04-11-2009, 05:18 PM
And oh yeah, our finishing sucks bag. Please start Dichio and Vitti from now on. With all due respect to Barrett, this isn't a rec league. He can build his confidence during practice. I've had enough of his Cunnigham-esque gaffs.

Shakes McQueen

Barrett had one bad missed chance (the header). He played well the rest of the time, and set up other players on good scoring chances, or runs. Yes, he still hasn't gotten the monkey off his back, and gotten a goal. But he did other good things today.

Every offensive player on our team had glorious missed chances today, and yet Barrett will be made the pariah for the week again.

Ricketts looked pretty good off the bench today. Cronin, Frei, and Serioux all played really well. Wynne had a good moment or two.

Their goal was the result of pretty much our entire team standing still in the box, and an amazing backheel by Ricchetti.

While I'm really heartbroken that we didn't get the three points (as we certainly deserved it), I'm actually optimistic from this. We had them on their heels for most of the match, and had lots of good possession. The finishing still needs to get better on the part of everyone, and I still think it will come.

We looked more like the team that beat KC, and less like the team that fizzled against Seattle and Columbus. Just needed to finish our chances, and tighten up a bit more on defense, as Dallas was still able to cut through our defense far too easily.

The only decision I question Carver for, was the decision to start Barrett again. Aside from that, his game plan created lots of chances. You can't fault him for that awful goal we let in. That is 100% on everyone in the box, that stood and watched the ball roll to Ricchetti.

- Scott

swan
Barrett over Vitti? Really Carver? What is wrong with you?

This team is awful to watch. If Barrett starts the next game, then I am not watching the game.

i'm not calling you a lair i just do believe you

FluSH
Faud is 17.
Chad is a professional football player.

Barrett, man what to do about Barrett. For the sake of the team and our season he needs to stay on the bench next week.

We played an ok game against one of the worst teams in the league. When can we legitimately start questioning the expectations of this team and MLSE as a whole?

Macheda is 17... listen if you are given a starting 11 role you better own up to it regardless of the age. Otherwise, just tell the coach you rather come in as a sub.

TFC USA
04-11-2009, 05:19 PM
maybe he was just to far away to get to it

He was there about the same time the Dallas defender cleared it.

This man needs to sit and there is NO JUSTIFIABLE reason for defending him.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Barrett had one bad missed chance (the header). He played well the rest of the time, and set up other players on good scoring chances, or runs. Yes, he still hasn't gotten the monkey off his back, and gotten a goal. But he did other good things today.

Every offensive player on our team had glorious missed chances today, and yet Barrett will be made the pariah for the week again.

Ricketts looked pretty good off the bench today. Cronin, Frei, and Serioux all played really well. Wynne had a good moment or two.

Their goal was the result of pretty much our entire team standing still in the box, and an amazing backheel by Ricchetti.

While I'm really heartbroken that we didn't get the three points (as we certainly deserved it), I'm actually optimistic from this. We had them on their heels for most of the match, and had lots of good possession. The finishing still needs to get better on the part of everyone, and I still think it will come.

We looked more like the team that beat KC, and less like the team that fizzled against Seattle and Columbus. Just needed to finish our chances, and tighten up a bit more on defense.

The only decision I question Carver for, was the decision to start Barrett again. Aside from that, his game plan created lots of chances. You can't fault him for that awful goal we let in. That is 100% on everyone in the box, that stood and watched the ball roll to Ricchetti.

- Scott

You're flat out wrong.

And there's no debating this point really.

Less chances, less shots on goal, less possession ....at home?!! ... how did we certainly deserve to win the game.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 05:21 PM
come on now...

I agree with you about Barrett I think he plays very hard and is truely trying his hardest out there, but if your not performing for whatever reason and he isnt right now then it is time to bench him like ricketts was maybe it will jumpstart him in hockey it happens all the time look at jason blake he got benched and then played pretty well the rest of the season.

Jamaicanadian
04-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Fack!!!!!!!
This feels like a facking loss
WTF
For fack sakes.................

TFC USA

So you've ignored the chance he had on the Guevara free kick? The long range shot in the 2nd half?

We can't say that Cunningham can't finish at all and call for his head then give Barrett a pass. He's being made the pariah because that was our MAJOR transfer to improve out striker position last year. Like Cunny, he got off to a fast and promising start, but now he's a wasteful buffoon.

Shakes McQueen
As for Dichio - I'm really starting to wonder if there's some other reason he isn't starting games. From everything Carver said after the Seattle match, it sounded like he wanted to start DD.

Are we sure he's 100%, health-wise?

- Scott

ensco
04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
No way did we "deserve" this game.

We were ahead only because we were playing a pretty terrible team that was giving the ball away in midfield every 30 seconds. Even then, the margin wasn't much, and no one can say it wasn't a fair outcome.

Columbus (in our game there) had much more reason to feel wronged by the soccer gods, than we do.

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Check out my player ratings.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=12024

SanStarko
04-11-2009, 05:25 PM
If I must give credit to MO, he's a good drafter.

Other than that, the players he brings in are such crap.

I wouldn't say that. We do have good players, a bit lacking at the back but other than that I'm perfectly happy with our squad.

The problem is that Carver doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of them.

Beach_Red

Man, we saw different games. This team is no better than last year or the year before, Robinson is STILL the best player the team has.

It might come, as you say, but it won;t be this year with these players.

forza_tfc
It's not just the missing the net I can't stand about Barrett. He can't pass worth of shit and runs into his own players. He's got great conditioning, but has borderline retarded soccer IQ. I'll second the earlier comment--if a grown man and professional player can't get a psychological grip, maybe he should play in a house league where winning isn't important and self-esteem is.

FluSH
So you've ignored the chance he had on the Guevara free kick? The long range shot in the 2nd half?

We can't say that Cunningham can't finish at all and call for his head then give Barrett a pass. He's being made the pariah because that was our MAJOR transfer to improve out striker position last year. Like Cunny, he got off to a fast and promising start, but now he's a wasteful buffoon.

I totally hear you, but who stepped up to get the Ricochet of the post? It could have been anyone really but Chad was there... and acted quickly. .

Cunningham would have been left flat footed on that play.

FluSH
04-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Man, we saw different games. This team is no better than last year or the year before, Robinson is STILL the best player the team has.

It might come, as you say, but it won;t be this year with these players.

I'm pretty sure he's only talking about the 1st half... I mean he must.

Dirk Diggler
04-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Macheda is 17... listen if you are given a starting 11 role you better own up to it regardless of the age. Otherwise, just tell the coach you rather come in as a sub.

And there's a reason why Macheda is playing for Man U and Ibrahim isn't. All things being equal, I'm not going to call for Ibrahim's head considering how most of us cut Barrett some slack for a similar miss in his first game of the season. However, if Ibrahim starts to make a habit out of it, than yes, he'll be better served sitting on the bench.

forza_tfc
04-11-2009, 05:28 PM
The problem is that Carver doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of them.

I agree. With the players they have they should be dominating the midfield, but there was a total second half collapse. The decision to bring in Ricketts and Dichio was pretty stupid.

FluSH
04-11-2009, 05:29 PM
And there's a reason why Macheda is playing for Man U and Ibrahim isn't. All things being equal, I'm not going to call for Ibrahim's head considering how most of us cut Barrett some slack for a similar miss in his first game of the season. However, if Ibrahim starts to make a habit out of it, than yes, he'll be better served sitting on the bench.

What I'm trying to say is that age shouldn't have any differance. If you can play you can play. That should have been a finish by Faud... we would all be talking a different tune if he had scored there.

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 05:30 PM

Don't try to compare players in different leagues.

Macheda plays for Man Utd.
Faud plays for Major league Soccer.

With that being said, I think it's perfectly reasonable for a teenager to miss a chance, but show promise the rest of the game.

This was Faud's first chance, Barrett #4.

forza_tfc
04-11-2009, 05:30 PM

Ibrahim controlled the flank--no question. I think he's perfect for this position, and can only improve with more playing time. Barrett, on the other had, is on this team to pop in goals. Despite having *countless* chances he can't even hit a fecking target bigger than my living room wall.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I think maybe we were all alil to optimistic I mean I was alil thrown off by how close the kc game was i mean barrett should have had at least 2 goals and we missed a penelty yes we dominated the game but still the game was one lucky bounce from a tie. Then after columbus i was really worried we played like shit and were lucky to get a point against a team that sucks this year. Still i thought its early we should bounce back in the home opener but again disappointment, lucky i am a leaf fan so i am used to this. Todays game was just like last year, go 1 up then lets all pray we can hold on the rest of the game and then they score in the final 2 mins AGAIN like wow.

In the end this team hasnt added enough, cronin is good, frei is good but so is sutton is it is an improvment but goaltending wasnt a huge problem last year, defence we got serioux but traded marshall? where is the 2nd cb? it is not harmse and i thought velez played well he had some bad games but was pretty solid, i mean he has to be better the harmse why not try him?

Dero is playing well but i think maybe him and guevara need time to gel in the middle.
Vitti who you all think should come on and be our saviour???why when he has played i haven't seen much, but maybe he will be better as he plays more, but i mean he hasnt been good for any other club

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Have our strikers scored yet?

Answer that question and everything seems pretty clear.

Jamaicanadian
04-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Are we subbing just to sub @ 70 mins for fack sakes......

FluSH
04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Don't try to compare players in different leagues.

Macheda plays for Man Utd.
Faud plays for Major league Soccer.

With that being said, I think it's perfectly reasonable for a teenager to miss a chance, but show promise the rest of the game.

This was Faud's first chance, Barrett #4.

You made a reference to the age... just cause someone is 17 does that mean we are going to cut him some slack? That's 3 points we could've had... I'm all for seeing a young prodigy grow, but at what expense? Don't start Faud then...

My comparison was only about age... not calibre. If it's reasonble for a teenager to miss a chance then don't start the teenager in the starting 11. (i.e. Macheda)

Shakes McQueen
04-11-2009, 05:34 PM

You mean the one where he got a half powered shot off 10 seconds into the match, through the mess of legs in the box?

Cunningham was hated because he not only missed sitters, he didn't try. He rarely tracked back for anything, and always stood around half-way up the pitch. He didn't poach, he didn't create, and he didn't put forth the effort in general.

Barrett's work rate is four times that of Cunningham. He slotted in a handful of great passes to Guevara and DeRo, that created opportunities. He's got a strong frame, and he doesn't stand around when he doesn't have the ball.

There is no doubt that Barrett isn't playing up to even his previous standards right now. But just ragging on the guy as though he isn't doing anything, is not fair in the slightest. Every single attacker on the field today - Barrett, DeRo, Guevara, Ibbe, Cronin, and even Wynne - either misplayed great chances, or lost the ball in great areas. Yet we give most of those guys a pass, because Barrett has become the visible scapegoat.

I didn't think Barrett deserved to start this week, as Vitti and Dichio have both played better in the past couple of games. I'm not a Barrett "fanboy". But the tunnel vision about his performances drives me crazy.

- Scott

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 05:36 PM
We did actually deserve the game, it should have been 3 or 4-0 at the half for TFC. It's just that it was a tale of two halves. The disagreement in my view has to do on whether each observer is focusing more on the first or second half. If the former, then we deserved the game, if the latter, then not as much.

forza_tfc
I don't know why Carver doesn't start DeRo & Vitti as our strikers.

Lucky Strike

Yes actually. DeRo scored today. He was playing at FW.

forza_tfc
04-11-2009, 05:37 PM

Exactly.

Marc"2L"
Oh, BTW TFC website guys...

Who the fuck are you to decide if the Reds disappointed or not?
I'm pretty sure I'm disappointed... how about you guys?

I'm sure TFC have a plan in place to spin this season should it all go wrong. Fucking MLSE

FluSH
Dero is playing well but i think maybe him and guevara need time to gel in the middle.
Vitti who you all think should come on and be our saviour???why when he has played i haven't seen much, but maybe he will be better as he plays more, but i mean he hasnt been good for any other club

Noone is reading Guevara properly... in my opinion he was the best player out there in the first half. Had Robbo also not gone fwd in that half step, he would've received an easy one-timer from Guevara. There were many examples in the first half that showed Guevara's skill but players weren't connecting with him.

MUFC_Niagara
We never looked like keeping the 3 points ever in the game ... Dallas kept stinging the palms of Frei time after time, they had most of the possession, look more confident on the ball ... the equalizer was always around the corner. Tbh I was surprised they didn't nick the winner in stoppages.

I have to agree...

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 05:38 PM
I think Fuad played great way better then ricketts this season, yea he missed a chance on his left foot at a bad angle, some of the best footballers cant use both feet, i mean i am not sure even if he got a good shot off he would have scored, but i will agree he should have at least worked the goalie, but other then that he played great and was the one who set up the first goal chance that almost went in 20 seconds in.

FluSH
Cunningham was hated because he not only missed sitters, he didn't try. He rarely tracked back for anything, and always stood around half-way up the pitch. He didn't poach, he didn't create, and he didn't put forth the effort in general.

exactly.

Shakes McQueen
I totally hear you, but who stepped up to get the Ricochet of the post? It could have been anyone really but Chad was there... and acted quickly. .

EXACTLY.

Barrett just desperately needs to get the monkey off his back. You can tell it's killing him, and he just hangs his head down after missing a good chance.

I don't expect him to be a 20+ goal scorer, but he currently isn't even playing up to the standard of his previous seasons. That is why I'm confident he will eventually get his game back. He's not technically gifted, but he works too hard not to get his usual 9-12 goals.

- Scott

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Yes actually. DeRo scored today. He was playing at FW.

I did not ask if somebody at striker scored.

I asked if our "Strikers", those dudes with little F's in front of their name scored.

DeRo called himself an attacking midfielder. I know you're mad, but don't nit pick when you know perfectly well what I mean.

Vitti - Faud... we'll never know until we try.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 05:41 PM
We did actually deserve the game, it should have been 3 or 4-0 at the half for TFC. It's just that it was a tale of two halves. The disagreement in my view has to do on whether each observer is focusing more on the first or second half. If the former, then we deserved the game, if the latter, then not as much.

the problem is this is tfc usual thing they play one half bad one good, the problem is it is not about who played better in each half it is the final result which in the end wwas 2 points lost to a team that is struggling this year. Dont forget dallas had a ton of chances to cunningham couldve scored if it wasnt for wynne, frei made like 3 great saves also

Beach_Red

Well, if you focus on the game as a whole, it was awful. The only reason we looked okay in the first half (and it was really just "okay") was because Dallas was so bad (there's a good reason they were 0-3 coming into this game), but they adjusted at the half and turned it around and we didn't adjust at all.

forza_tfc
EXACTLY.

Barrett just desperately needs to get the monkey off his back. You can tell it's killing him, and he just hangs his head down after missing a good chance.

I don't expect him to be a 20+ goal scorer, but he currently isn't even playing up to the standard of his previous seasons. That is why I'm confident he will eventually get his game back. He's not technically gifted, but he works too hard not to get his usual 9-12 goals.

- Scott

I hope this is true. I think benching him and subbing him at the 70 might sharpen his focus.

Shakes McQueen

I asked if our "Strikers", those dudes with little F's in front of their name scored.

DeRo called himself an attacking midfielder. I know you're mad, but don't nit pick when you know perfectly well what I mean.

I'm pretty sure DeRo was technically playing second striker today - not that this is worth getting in an argument about, anyway.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
04-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I hope this is true. I think benching him and subbing him at the 70 might sharpen his focus.

I agree 100%. I disagreed with Carver's decision to start him again, and I hope he's a sub next week in Dallas.

Vitti and Dichio have earned the start. But something tells me Dichio isn't 100%.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
04-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Noone is reading Guevara properly... in my opinion he was the best player out there in the first half. Had Robbo also not gone fwd in that half step, he would've received an easy one-timer from Guevara. There were many examples in the first half that showed Guevara's skill but players weren't connecting with him.

Pretty much every time Guevara touched the ball, you could just see the class. His movement with the ball was so much better than almost everyone else on the pitch - probably even DeRo.

That said, I don't think this was his best game. He frequently hit the same brick wall as everyone else, when it came to finishing our chances.

- Scott

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 05:46 PM

Vitti - Faud... we'll never know until we try.

I'm actually not mad, I'm quite serious. On this day, DeRo was a striker and scored. In fact, he actually self-describes himself as withdrawn striker (or in the hole) and that's his best position to boot.

In fact, (and forgive me if this sounds accusatory - I don't mean it) it sounds like you're more upset than I am.

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm pretty sure DeRo was technically playing second striker today - not that this is worth getting in an argument about, anyway.

- Scott

It's not. I'm talking about the players not the positions. If you want to count DeRo fine. But what about those other guys?

Chevy
I don't know why Carver doesn't start DeRo & Vitti as our strikers.

+1 Barrett needs to sit for a while.

dannyd
Lets call a spade a spade... you can go on about player performance, missed chances all you want. Until we get a coach that knows how to adjust to other teams and get the most out of his players (management skills), we are not going anywhere.

So many people seem to think Carver is a good coach and believe all his excuses. Well, now Carver has some highly skilled players that are capable of beating any side in MLS and we still have the same shit, un-inspired performances. What's his excuse now? Is he still just going to "call out" his players? Wow great coaching... Remember Carver, you're calling out the players that you are supposed to be motivating. How about less excuses and apologies and start using your brain to motivate your team and start winning.

Carver is the one who needs his "backside kicked".

BRed
04-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm sorry but GUEVARA played good???? Are you guys joking me? The guy held the ball too long, made poor decisions and was agonizingly slow. This team just doesn't have a true middfielder(s) who can spread the game and keep ball position. All these guys do is put their heads down and look forward, for gods sake. The coach definately needs to put his act together and create some kind of chemistry and tactical strategy to move the ball. I feel like I'm watching a pee wee game every week. I haven't had fun watching a TFC game for a while now.

BRed
04-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Pretty much every time Guevara touched the ball, you could just see the class. His movement with the ball was so much better than almost everyone else on the pitch - probably even DeRo.

That said, I don't think this was his best game. He frequently hit the same brick wall as everyone else, when it came to finishing our chances.

- Scott

What?

Detroit_TFC
04-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Barrett is a basket case now, I'm sure hes convinced himself he can't score. This is where not having a reserve league is going to hurt. A couple games in the reserves to get his head right is exactly what needs to happen. Instead Carver will try to work him through it on the job, with the resulting impact on our scoreline.

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm actually not mad, I'm quite serious. On this day, DeRo was a striker and scored. In fact, he actually self-describes himself as withdrawn striker (or in the hole) and that's his best position to boot.

In fact, (and forgive me if this sounds accusatory - I don't mean it) it sounds like you're more upset than I am.

We can have a debate about OMC vs. CAM all you want but YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck but one day decides to play as a swan, is it a duck?

Nope, it's a bird. Just like DeRo is beyond any sort of title. He's attacking.. something.. and that's all he should ever have to worry about.

http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/%7Ethurston/fish/images/pipe.jpg

forza_tfc
04-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Lets call a spade a spade... you can go on about player performance, missed chances all you want. Until we get a coach that knows how to adjust to other teams and get the most out of his players (management skills), we are not going anywhere.

So many people seem to think Carver is a good coach and believe all his excuses. Well, now Carver has some highly skilled players that are capable of beating any side in MLS and we still have the same shit, un-inspired performances. What's his excuse now? Is he still just going to "call out" his players? Wow great coaching... Remember Carver, you're calling out the players that you are supposed to be motivating. How about less excuses and apologies and start using your brain to motivate your team and start winning.

Carver is the one who needs his "backside kicked".

I'm starting to agree with pointing the finger at Carver. As much as Dichio is iconic, I don't think he should be playing until we're capable of controlling the midfield. I also think Ricketts is a weak link on this team. I wonder if Carver is giving his fellow Brits an unfair advantage, and not giving enough attention to Vitti. Apparently at half time he blamed TFCs poor performance on Amado, which is weird because I thought he had a good match.

If we keep losing with a good squad, then it has come down to coaching. A loss next week, and we should start worrying.

Oh, and a DP center back or striker would do wonders for our team.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Well, now Carver has some highly skilled players that are capable of beating any side in MLS

Not sure who your talking about, who are these guys who are soo much better then the mls, yet still play in the mls?

FluSH
04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm starting to agree with pointing the finger at Carver. As much as Dichio is iconic, I don't think he should be playing until we're capable of controlling the midfield. I also think Ricketts is a weak link on this team. I wonder if Carver is giving his fellow Brits an unfair advantage, and not giving enough attention to Vitti. Apparently at half time he blamed TFCs poor performance on Amado, which is weird because I thought he had a good match.

If we keep losing with a good squad, then it has come down to coaching. A loss next week, and we should start worrying.

Yup... Vitti would have been my first sub... Followed by Ricketts... then Dichio.

Fushida
04-11-2009, 06:01 PM
I was in disbelief when I saw Barrett warming up with the first team and Vitti left to rot with the reserves. I think today should be the last straw. Barrett actually played decently today, worked very hard and won a few good chances, but for christ's sake that missed open header was just too much. He got 4 games to prove that he can be an effective striker, and he's blown way too many chances in those games.

I don't know what to think about Carver if Barrett isn't benched for next game. How many chances is he going to get? How many games is it gonna cost us?!

Ibbe's missed chance was also tough to swallow, but he played exceptionally on the left for the most part today. Ricketts did well after coming on too from what I saw..

FluSH
and you cannot blame TFC's poor performance on AMADO? WTF is that... he was the best player in the first half... and everyone else in the 2nd half was flat. Carver should have made some subs alot earlier in the game. If that header by Dallas that almost went in (first half) was not an indication that we were losing our steam... I don't know what would have been.

BRed
Apparently at half time he blamed TFCs poor performance on Amado,

Finally he got something right. You guys will realize this as it becomes more appearent, for now I don't mind being in the minority.

Lucky Strike
We can have a debate about OMC vs. CAM all you want but YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

Well given how angry people seem to be, it's probably not a good idea today. But still, DeRo is/was/will be a striker, I'm not sure why there is contention.

Stryker
04-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Im very disappointed. We should have been able to score a bunch againest this team today.
Offensively Dallas looks good but we should have been able to score three or four againest their defence.
Call me crazy but I didn't see alot of hustle today.
I think most were doing little more than going through the motions with the exception of DeRo and Cronin and Fraud.
Im so impressed with Cronin and Frei. They both played great today.
Serioux played well but got caught upfield a couple times as did Wynne.
Ricketts... well he managed to turn the ball over again.
Fraud played better than anything I've seen from Ricketts this season including his sub time today.

I predict next week Carver will pair up Dero and Vitti and Fraud will get the start again. As he should.

OneLoveOneEric
04-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Wynne was defensively absent today. First half, Dallas attacked down our right side at will.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 06:07 PM
one thing i don't get is why everyone is surprised. I knew from the start that tfc was loading up on offence getting dero, vitti, barrett last year. I thought they had one of the best offence in the league but unless they start working together it aint gonna happen. The other thing i knew was the only way tfc was gonna win was to score at least 3 goals a game because they have a weak defence and will concede goals every game. sure we got serioux but lost marshall who is serioux gonna play with? dallas got way too many solid shots off lucky frei is a good shot stopper.

After reflecting a bit though, I think this is alot like last year near the end of the season once the team got playing together regularily(no injuries, international breaks) they were one of if not the best teams in the league unfortunatly it was too late for them.

They just need to get some chemistry very quick, and then either try velez out again or get some defenders and where is the dp we were promised i am hoping after europe is done? Look at our defense right now....Serioux-great but can get crazy in the past (dumb cards, almost broke beckhams leg) Brennen is not a defender and i love him but you can tell it is not his position he should take ricketts spot on the left mid, Harmse-not good PERIOD. Velez-played solid had some bad games and gets hated on but lets try him out, Wynne- is good and also abit lucky if he wasnt fast he would get caught outta position alot but this is improving every game and i like his postive attidude going forward. Who do we have after that??????? we got no bench support we never have

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Well given how angry people seem to be, it's probably not a good idea today. But still, DeRo is/was/will be a striker, I'm not sure why there is contention.

Agree to disagree. You can call DeRo whatever you like, but that doesn't change the fact that our strikers haven't scored. Some will agree, other's won't. Also doesn't change the 5 points we have.

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Agree to disagree. You can call DeRo whatever you like, but that doesn't change the fact that our strikers haven't scored. Some will agree, other's won't. Doesn't change the fact we're on 5 points.

I'm genuinely sorry if I seem like I'm stubborn or something, but I still don't understand: DeRo is a striker and has scored. But yes, we still only have 5 points and that's disappointing.

forza_tfc
04-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I predict next week Carver will pair up Dero and Vitti and Fraud will get the start again. As he should.

If he didn't I would seriously question his coaching ability.

egoodwin
04-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Barrett did not play well, none of our strikers have played well. A good game is at least 1 goal for a striker, not oh he made a bunch of good plays

I am tired of people saying our strikers are doing good, when they are not scoring, no excuse for not doing their job

TFC USA
04-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Shakes, let's say my made up 17 year old cousin got a C- in his Science test. It knocks his GPA down and with a string of bad grades could fail the course. Why should I give credit to him for trying so hard darn it?

Same thing applies to Barrett. You can't just go out there and put up clunkers every week and be patient with that whether he's trying or not. This was supposed to be the year we would have a shot at the playoffs. This was the year where we got out sh*t together from midfield and to the forward position, and Barrett is firing sissy shots straight to the goalkeeper!

You can't just credit him for trying when in the end he still can't score. I know we're 4 games into the season but the line has to be drawn between competency and just sheer crappiness. Barrett is in the latter.

dannyd
04-11-2009, 06:16 PM

You know what? I'm beginning to think a DP will be a waste of money. After a few weeks of training under Carver, even Maradona would start to doubt himself and play like his mom just sent him to bed with no supper. I would much rather spend the money on a coach (which doesn't count against our salary cap) and win the league with the players we have (which hopefully wouldn't include Harmse lol).

Stryker
04-11-2009, 06:18 PM
I'll give praise to Barrett for coming all the way back and taking away a sure goal from the Dallas striker by the penalty spot.
Good effort Chad.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 06:18 PM
the fact of the matter is next game they will win by 2 or 3 we will all be excited again and be like playoffs for sure, then they will play bad and this will happen again. I am used to it i had such high hopes for last year and at times they looked unbeatable but then also looked like the worst team in the league, question is do you blame coach or players for this?

in the end i will support and think they will make the playoffs until they actually get in or are mathemtically out i mean i am a stupid leaf fan who even this year thought they could get in the playoffs lol in toronto we should be used to this, i mean they are owned by mlse

Carts
04-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Can Dichio last a full 90...? or at least 65-70...? If so, he MUST START...

Ibbey was excellent, he controlled the ball on the outside better than veteran, professional footballers (he's a bloody teenager)...

Barrett - godbless his work ethic, but he must score or at least find the target...

Cronin - played well and gives a great effort...

FREI - wow, this kid is the real deal... I feel really bad we couldn't hold the lead and the clean sheet for him. He made some killer saves. Its tough to count them up while at the pitch in the bunker, but I'm thinking Dallas had many more tough shots on Frei than we did on their tender...

Sometimes a tie feels like a win (Columbus game)...
Today, a tie is a loss...

Carts...

King Jeff
04-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Ricketts looked pretty good off the bench today.

? I only remember him touching the ball twice.

TFC USA
04-11-2009, 06:20 PM
I want to make a comment on the crowd.

I think the "TFC mania" is beginning to die down. Maybe the 4:00 PM kickoffs aren't a good thing and it's Easter Weekend, but since last year I'm seeing a ton of empty seats where the Maple Leaf part of BMO is.

Outside of RPB and U-Sector (who deserve to see a goal scored in front of them), the atmosphere was dreadful.

I don't know much about the MLSE, but it sounds like they could care less about the fan (or the team) and more about their colorful Canadian money.

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm genuinely sorry if I seem like I'm stubborn or something, but I still don't understand: DeRo is a striker and has scored. But yes, we still only have 5 points and that's disappointing.

There's nothing to be sorry about. You consider DeRo a striker if he plays up front.

Fine.

I consider DeRo a striker if he ONLY played up front. But he doesn't, he's an attacking midfielder because he can play in the hole, etc. Some people call that second striker, which is fine. But I don't consider him one of "our strikers"

Barrett, Faud, Dichio (and even he's a target man) Vitti, White. That's the striker group.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 06:23 PM

I think the "TFC mania" is beginning to die down. Maybe the 4:00 PM kickoffs aren't a good thing and it's Easter Weekend, but since last year I'm seeing a ton of empty seats where the Maple Leaf part of BMO is.

Outside of RPB and U-Sector (who deserve to see a goal scored in front of them), the atmosphere was dreadful.

I don't know much about the MLSE, but it sounds like they could care less about the fan (or the team) and more about their colorful Canadian money.

Can you blame them ... that part of the stadium has some pretty pricey tickets.

I mean what are they staying to watch.

It's certainly not entertaining. We played more exciting soccer under Mo Johnston our first season.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 06:23 PM
You know what? I'm beginning to think a DP will be a waste of money. After a few weeks of training under Carver, even Maradona would start to doubt himself and play like his mom just sent him to bed with no supper. I would much rather spend the money on a coach (which doesn't count against our salary cap) and win the league with the players we have (which hopefully wouldn't include Harmse lol).

I feel bad for coaches, after columbus everyone wanted carver shirts and loved him(not sure if you did jsut trying to make a point) but now so many are looking to fire him, i mean next week they win by 2 and he shhh's the crowd do we love him again i just wanna keep track when we love him adn when we hate him i dont wanna get confused???

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 06:25 PM

There were a lot of empty seats where the maple leaf is.....its always like that. MLSE only puts out a team that is competative and MIGHT make the playoffs. See, Raptors and Leafs for proof.

LucaGol
There's nothing to be sorry about. You consider DeRo a striker if he plays up front.

Fine.

I consider DeRo a striker if he ONLY played up front. But he doesn't, he's an attacking midfielder because he can play in the hole, etc. Some people call that second striker, which is fine. But I don't consider him one of "our strikers"

Barrett, Faud, Dichio (and even he's a target man) Vitti, White. That's the striker group.

All take it a step further.

Dwayne De Rosario is not a striker. Fact.

He's not even a second striker. First off, thats a rarely used term. It's used mostly in Italy, where they call a player a seconda punta. But those players are usually forwards.

Dwayne De Rosario is a midfielder, always has been always will be. Just because he plays a little closer to Chad Barrett today, it doesn't mean he's suddenly a striker.

He's an attacking midfielder. Case closed.

ag futbol
and you cannot blame TFC's poor performance on AMADO? WTF is that... he was the best player in the first half... and everyone else in the 2nd half was flat. Carver should have made some subs alot earlier in the game. If that header by Dallas that almost went in (first half) was not an indication that we were losing our steam... I don't know what would have been.

Well i'm normally an Amado supporter but i'd say this game he was 50% good, 50% bad.

I think what some people need to realize is that a player like him plays at a deliberate pace so that his teammates can make a SMART run off the ball and he can find them with a pass. You can see this clearly happen when he links up with somebody like Dero. On the other hand, I watched numerous times at the top of the box where our players were too stupid to hold their runs and by the time he found them they were in a useless offiside position.

Chad Barrett can't finish and has the football IQ of a rock. He runs all the time but he has no idea to where or for what reason. What he doesn't realize is that often his stupidity takes him out of the game when he could be receiving an easy pass from his teammate for an opportunity on goal. He has no business starting.

TFC USA
Can you blame them ... that part of the stadium has some pretty pricey tickets.

I mean what are they staying to watch.

It's certainly not entertaining. We played more exciting soccer under Mo Johnston our first season.

We went without a goal for 824 minutes straight and on the road created no scoring chances.

No way have we been entertaining to watch in any of the 3 years we've been in this league.

At least in that year we scored a penalty. :rolleyes:

Manutd #1

Fine.

Am i the only one excited to see o'brian white. he should add alot to our strike force, i think he is the real deal(hopefully) and assuming he will play for canada he should be good there. just sucks he wont play until the mid summer.

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 06:26 PM
I feel bad for coaches, after columbus everyone wanted carver shirts and loved him(not sure if you did jsut trying to make a point) but now so many are looking to fire him, i mean next week they win by 2 and he shhh's the crowd do we love him again i just wanna keep track when we love him adn when we hate him i dont wanna get confused???

I still love the guy....its not his fault our players can't finish chances.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 06:26 PM

I think you're keeping track of the wrong people.

Many of the same people we're quite disappointed after Columbus vis a vis the horrible play of the team. Tie or no tie.

Norn_Irn_Toffee
04-11-2009, 06:28 PM
excellent point...

Once the players cross that white line it's up to them... Carver can only do so much.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 06:28 PM
We went without a goal for 824 minutes straight and on the road created no scoring chances.

No way have we been entertaining to watch in any of the 3 years we've been in this league.

At least in that year we scored a penalty. :rolleyes:

I think you mistook my post for praise of our first year play.

My post was actually meant as an indictment of our current play.

But yes ... I agree with you, we've never been entertaining. Just varying degrees of boring.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 06:30 PM
I think you're keeping track of the wrong people.

Many of the same people we're quite disappointed after Columbus vis a vis the horrible play of the team. Tie or no tie.

just using ur post as an example not sure if you were hating on him before hand, just trying to say alot of fans turn on players/coaches very quick.

There is alot of ricketts haters here now saying trade him and what not, but if he scored a game winning goal next game he would be everyons favourite again

dag
04-11-2009, 06:30 PM
I dson't really know what to say. Dallas looked hungry - they were never really out of it. Barrett can't hit the broad side of a barn. And there were far too many instances of brain cramps upon reaching the box. As for the defense, I wonder when we'll see a clean sheet. Frei made too many saves today.

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Our central defenders have so much trouble with diagonal run....it's eaten them up so many times in the last 2 games.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 06:33 PM
I think you mistook my post for praise of our first year play.

My post was actually meant as an indictment of our current play.

But yes ... I agree with you, we've never been entertaining. Just varying degrees of boring.

honestly though, i have not watched many exciting mls games. I mean this may sound wierd and you may not remember in fact i cant even remember the exact game, maybe the 2nd or 3rd game last year tfc actually looked exciting, the defence and mids brennen and robert and wynne and ricketts were making some nice cross over passing and they looked great, problem is that was the first and last time i saw that.

i think my problem may be watching the epl in the morning and the mls in the afternoon the quality is WAY different, i should watch tfc then the epl lol

Shakes McQueen
04-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Shakes, let's say my made up 17 year old cousin got a C- in his Science test. It knocks his GPA down and with a string of bad grades could fail the course. Why should I give credit to him for trying so hard darn it?

Same thing applies to Barrett. You can't just go out there and put up clunkers every week and be patient with that whether he's trying or not. This was supposed to be the year we would have a shot at the playoffs. This was the year where we got out sh*t together from midfield and to the forward position, and Barrett is firing sissy shots straight to the goalkeeper!

You can't just credit him for trying when in the end he still can't score. I know we're 4 games into the season but the line has to be drawn between competency and just sheer crappiness. Barrett is in the latter.

While this is an interesting analogy, it isn't applicable. You also zeroed in what I said about Barrett's work rate, and ignored everything else.

A striker's primary responsibility is to score, and in that regard, Barrett has not played well - obviously. But good strikers also do other things, and Barrett generally did those things well. He made same good passes, made some good runs, and managed to be in the right place on more than one occasion.

No, that work didn't create practical, tangible results today. But the line between creating good chances, and creating goals, is not a gaping chasm. And when Barrett finally regains his confidence, and starts to inevitably get his goals, those other qualities will shine through better - and they will be appreciated.

Instead, everyone just focuses on the 1-2 missed chances. And that isn't fair at all, when you consider (like I said before) that virtually every attacking player on our team had terrible missed chances today. Same with Seattle. And Columbus. Ibbe had an absolutely horrifying miss today, for example.

That said, Barrett needs a week or two to chill out on the bench. I didn't think he should have started this game, and I was disappointed that Carver decided to start him again.

This strategy of getting a striker with no confidence to play through his funk, is not unique to Carver. Look at Arsenal in the Premier League. Arsene Wenger continues to throw Nicklas Bendtner into games, often as a starter, despite missing 6-8 chances per match, because he knows that simply giving up on him will shatter the kid's confidence.

I disagree with it - both as an Arsenal supporter, and a TFC supporter. Again though - not unique to Carver.

I pray to God that Vitti and/or Dichio start next week, because I not only think it would be best for the team - I think it would be best for Chad.

But all of this pointless antagonism of Barrett, isn't fair to him. These losses and draws have been a team effort.

- Scott

King Jeff
04-11-2009, 06:35 PM

I think the "TFC mania" is beginning to die down.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think the Easter weekend was a big factor.

Beach_Red
04-11-2009, 06:36 PM
excellent point...

Once the players cross that white line it's up to them... Carver can only do so much.

That seems a bit of an easy out for any coach. Unless you feel he didn't do nearly enough to prepare the team before they crossed that white line?

What we saw today was a second half adjustment by Dallas. Have we ever seen a successful second half adjustment by TFC?

Dirk Diggler
excellent point...

Carver can only do so much, yes, but from the looks of it, what Carver is doing isn't the right thing at all. The way I see it, I've had enough of blaming everything on the players. Only two people can be held responsible. It's either Mo for not getting quality players or its Carver for not utilizing his players properly. There's no escaping this fact.

jabbronies
WE DON"T SHOOT THE BALL...End of story.

Marc"2L"
Am i the only one excited to see o'brian white. he should add alot to our strike force, i think he is the real deal(hopefully) and assuming he will play for canada he should be good there. just sucks he wont play until the mid summer.

He won't play for Canada. This has already come up. He's playing for the yard boys. I've herd the reason why and it's ok. He's not JDG2.

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 06:37 PM
The good news is at least Chicago were held to a draw by SJ and DC United are being held by RSL to a draw.

LucaGol
honestly though, i have not watched many exciting mls games. I mean this may sound wierd and you may not remember in fact i cant even remember the exact game, maybe the 2nd or 3rd game last year tfc actually looked exciting, the defence and mids brennen and robert and wynne and ricketts were making some nice cross over passing and they looked great, problem is that was the first and last time i saw that.

i think my problem may be watching the epl in the morning and the mls in the afternoon the quality is WAY different, i should watch tfc then the epl lol

Get MLS match center ... watch teams like Real Salt Lake, Chivas, Chicago, DC United ... and everyone's new favourite team Seattle.

You'll be surprised at the play of a well-coached MLS side.

But yes, I agree, ... EPL/Bundesliga Saturday mornings make poor afternoon TFC performances much harder to watch.

TFC USA
Since I'm on a tangent. I think the CBC is "ESPNizing" their soccer coverage.

A sideline reporter for a soccer match has no purpose. While the Gina lady is hot the Footie Fan Poll segment is embarrassing. Too many distractions. Just have Scott hosting and Brenda stays for pre and post game interviews.

Shakes McQueen
04-11-2009, 06:38 PM
All take it a step further.

Dwayne De Rosario is not a striker. Fact.

He's not even a second striker. First off, thats a rarely used term. It's used mostly in Italy, where they call a player a seconda punta. But those players are usually forwards.

Dwayne De Rosario is a midfielder, always has been always will be. Just because he plays a little closer to Chad Barrett today, it doesn't mean he's suddenly a striker.

He's an attacking midfielder. Case closed.

Not saying Wikipedia is necessarily correct. Just pointing out that it disagrees with you:

Deep-lying forwards have a long history in the game, but the terminology to describe them has varied over the years. Originally such players were termed inside forwards, or deep-lying centre forwards. More recently, two more variations of this old type of player have developed: the second or support or auxiliary striker and, in what is arguably a distinct position unto its own, being neither midfield nor attack, the Number 10, or playmaker, an advanced as opposed to a deep-lying playmaker.
The second striker position is a loosely-defined and often misapplied one somewhere between the out-and-out striker, whether he is a target-man or more of a poacher, and the Number 10 or Trequartista, while possibly showing some of the characteristics of both. In fact, a coined term, the "nine-and-a-half", has been an attempt to define the position. Conceivably, a Number 10 can alternate as a second-striker provided that he is also a prolific goalscorer, otherwise a striker who can both score and create opportunities for a less versatile centre forward is more suited. This has been true of a natural trequartista like Roberto Baggio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Baggio) who seldom played in a team formation which permitted him the creative license to play as a number 10 and so he adapted himself to the second-striker role. A second- or support-striker does not tend to get as involved in the orchestration of attacks, nor bring as many other players into play as the Number 10 since they do not have the range of vision, nor the burden of responsibility that the latter, around whom the team's game is built, possess. Accordingly, neither do they have as much responsibility for inventing the game.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_striker#cite_note-0)

Successful attacks require the collaboration of many strikers, and goals can be made from the flanks or from the center, all in one movement. In the diagram shown, some of the most successful strikers of the 20th century help to create a goal for a midfielder. The fast German winger Libuda starts the move by floating a long cross to Seeler at the far post. Seeler heads down for Muller, who plays it back to midfielder Overath for a goal. Though considered a centre-forward, Seeler's dangerous aerial skills created countless chances for his team-mates. Skilful combined play will see a centre-forward switch to a supporting role as the situation demands

- Scott

King Jeff
04-11-2009, 06:39 PM

A sideline reporter for a soccer match has no purpose. While the Gina lady is hot the Footie Fan Poll segment is embarrassing. Too many distractions. Just have Scott hosting and Brenda stays for pre and post game interviews.

Yup. This was the first CBC telecast I've watched since year one and I was not at all impressed.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 06:40 PM

Too many mouths to feed.

The perception of short attention spans of North Americans.

Not knowing the sport.

Take your pick ....

Some of the best soccer broadcasts I've watched have had 1 man in charge of the whole operation. Soccer is a simple sport ... let's keep that theme.
I don't need this whole song and dance of 85 reporters tellling me to check the internet or tell me what Jim Brennan ate for breakfast.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 06:40 PM
WE DON"T SHOOT THE BALL...End of story.

GOOD POINT i was thinking that during the game amado was ready to then passed, that is where i will give barrett credit in the second half he took a nice shot just wide. Although this has been a tfc problem since the start no confidence to shoot.

TFC USA
04-11-2009, 06:41 PM
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think the Easter weekend was a big factor.

Yeah but you cut out that part where I mentioned kickoff time and Easter weekend. :p

Norn_Irn_Toffee
04-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Agreed, but give me a red shirt with #19 on it, I will be everywhere giving my all for the shirt, but would I score... hell no! Effort is one thing, but ultimately he's a striker, his role is to score goals.

Shakes McQueen
04-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah, Gina needs to go away. I don't care what people at the game think of the game, nor do I need some generic shit from Serioux at half-time, about how important getting the first goal was.

It's boring when they do it with hockey players, and it's boring when they do it with football players.

- Scott

Norn_Irn_Toffee
04-11-2009, 06:43 PM
I do agree, it can't be solely the players, the coach does have to bear some responsibility, but, surely it is not Carver's fault that we missed sitters?

That seems a bit of an easy out for any coach. Unless you feel he didn't do nearly enough to prepare the team before they crossed that white line?

What we saw today was a second half adjustment by Dallas. Have we ever seen a successful second half adjustment by TFC?

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Not saying Wikipedia is necessarily correct. Just pointing out that it disagrees with you:

- Scott

No offense to whoever wrote that on wikipedia ... but the second striker rarely if ever has qualities of an out-and-out striker.

I mean that's preposterous ... if your seconda punta has qualities of an out-and-out striker ... guess what, you're playing with 2 strikers.

The trequartista always plays behind 2 strikers.

These terms are always more and more loosely defined anyways.

The main issue is, Dwayne De Rosario is not a striker. No matter which way you stretch the definition.

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 06:44 PM

I'm writing an email to CBC about it as we speak.

I know for a fact Jason De Vos would of told Brenda to shut up if he could. She annoyed me just as much when I met her in Columbus. If CBC wants to cut the budget I can suggest where to start. The Footie Fan one was even worst. I know she "sent it back" when Toronto got forward but it shouldn't happen period. Let the colour guy worry about little stories between play.

Go listen to the liverpool Chelsea CL game on wednesday. Andy Grey did one of the best calls I've EVER HERD.

- Grey starts talking about a stat.
"hold on, I'll tell you in a minute"
Play goes on. That might seem simple, but to hear it and watch the play unfold was something that just doesn't happen in this league.

TFC USA
04-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Too many mouths to feed.

The perception of short attention spans of North Americans.

Not knowing the sport.

Take your pick ....

Some of the best soccer broadcasts I've watched have had 1 man in charge of the whole operation. Soccer is a simple sport ... let's keep that theme.
I don't need this whole song and dance of 85 reporters tellling me to check the internet or tell me what Jim Brennan ate for breakfast.

I fear CBC is basically becoming the equivalent of our privately-run networks in the States. Lots of American programming (and then some Brit stuff like Corrie), the local newscasts and then broadcasts like these which are not like the CBC.

I understand their goal into getting the fans involved, but doing so in a professional broadcast bakes it amateurish.

I love the CBC, better than the crap they have here. The newspieces and programs are brilliant. Comedies are great.

Their soccer broadcasts? Not ESPN bad but now just average. I really miss Mitch Peacock because Brenda and Gina sound clueless most of the time.

Pookie
If Barrett converted every chance he got:

a) he wouldn't be earning $200k per season
b) he wouldn't be playing for TFC
c) he wouldn't be playing in the MLS

Yeah, you can wish he would convert but folks this is the MLS.

Players come here because they can't make the better leagues or they are on the downhill side of their careers.

One positive takeaway from the match is the sheer number of opportunities we generated. GK looks strong as well.

King Jeff
Yeah but you cut out that part where I mentioned kickoff time and Easter weekend. :p

True, but only because I felt you were dismissing it. I do think it made a difference.

billyfly
04-11-2009, 06:46 PM
That sucked. I knew we needed that 2nd goal. At least it wasnt Cunningham that got it.

Shakes McQueen
04-11-2009, 06:46 PM
I do agree, it can't be solely the players, the coach does have to bear some responsibility, but, surely it is not Carver's fault that we missed sitters?

Exactly. The guys on the pitch do their job and nail all of those easy chances, and suddenly NO ONE is talking about Carver anymore.

- Scott

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 06:47 PM
If Barrett converted every chance he got:

a) he wouldn't be earning $200k per season
b) he wouldn't be playing for TFC
c) he wouldn't be playing in the MLS

Yeah, you can wish he would convert but folks this is the MLS.

Players come here because they can't make the better leagues or they are on the downhill side of their careers.

One positive takeaway from the match is the sheer number of opportunities we generated. GK looks strong as well.

No is denying the league is of lower quality.....but it'd be nice to be competative in the league even if the quality is low.

King Jeff
04-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, Gina needs to go away. I don't care what people at the game think of the game, nor do I need some generic shit from Serioux at half-time, about how important getting the first goal was.

Why run some stupid fan segment in the 85th minute during the middle of play? ffs.

Norn_Irn_Toffee
Carver can only do so much, yes, but from the looks of it, what Carver is doing isn't the right thing at all. The way I see it, I've had enough of blaming everything on the players. Only two people can be held responsible. It's either Mo for not getting quality players or its Carver for not utilizing his players properly. There's no escaping this fact.

Carver has a role to play and is not the best coach in the world, but by far not the worst... he has to have the team go for the kill, not sit back only 1-0 up, and sort out the defence (Serioux has been immense, but the others dilly dally too much, when they should just clear) We have strikers whose job is to score... our forward players missed sitters today which would have won the game, that is not Carver`s fault.

Manutd #1
No offense to whoever wrote that on wikipedia ... but the second striker rarely if ever has qualities of an out-and-out striker.

I mean that's preposterous ... if your seconda punta has qualities of an out-and-out striker ... guess what, you're playing with 2 strikers.

The main issue is, Dwayne De Rosario is not a striker. No matter which way you stretch the definition.

Full nameDwayne Anthony De RosarioDate of birthMay 15, 1978 (1978-05-15) (age 30)Place of birthScarborough, Ontario (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough,_Ontario), Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada)Height5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)Playing positionAttacking Midfielder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midfielder_(association_football))

also from wikipedia lol.

i believe he is a midfielder much like paul scholes is for man utd, he is an attacking midfielder which means he will get forward. Also yes dero does play central forward the odd time if he has to but he is not and was not a striker today. plus when i try to play him as a striker in ea football manager his level goes down because it isnt his postition lol. also even if he is a stirker(he isnt) the main point was that our stirkers havent scored and if u include him that is 1 goal in four games from strikers

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Brenda asked me to talk about the game in the 80th in Columbus last year.
I promptly told her to fuck off in kinder words as I was still watching the game.
The camera dude apologized on her behalf.

napoli73
04-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm sorry but GUEVARA played good???? Are you guys joking me? The guy held the ball too long, made poor decisions and was agonizingly slow. This team just doesn't have a true middfielder(s) who can spread the game and keep ball position. All these guys do is put their heads down and look forward, for gods sake. The coach definately needs to put his act together and create some kind of chemistry and tactical strategy to move the ball. I feel like I'm watching a pee wee game every week. I haven't had fun watching a TFC game for a while now.

This post sums it up perfectly, between the defense and midfield it looks like they are playing hot potato. This team has no concept of keeping possession and building attack, they have no clue how to distribute the ball in order to open up the opposition. I agree it's getting really hard to watch "the beautiful game" being play so ugly, dump and chase seems like the only form of attack at times. I think if we played a more possession style game where we build an attack and where if nothing seems to open up we can turn back and open things up instead of launching the ball up field on to the heads of defenders. Now if Carter is to blame, who knows... all i can say is that i was not happy with the team/sub selection today.

Nuvinho
04-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Amado needed to shoot on at leat 2 of the opportunies..........

Chad works hard, but I would of liked to see Vitti in earlier

Can't blame Ricketts........he had 2 crosses that were on target, just headed away from defenders ( if people are blaming Ricketts, its gotta be personal for this game, since he didn't do anything to warrant it).

Frei is great......commands his area, talks to his defenders, and comes out for the ball.

I was telling the people around me, that we needed to finish, else something was gonna happen late in the game. It seems its a reverse from last year, we don't play well at home, but good on the road.

We need a win next week at Dallas period.

TFC USA
04-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Brenda asked me to talk about the game in the 80th in Columbus last year.
I promptly told her to fuck off in kinder words as I was still watching the game.
The camera dude apologized on her behalf.

In Columbus? CBC wasn't there. Did you mean the home games we had?

Lucky Strike
04-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Before I'm off, how about something positive?

Did you guys see the body check Harmse put on Cunty? How satisfying!

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 06:56 PM
In Columbus? CBC wasn't there. Did you mean the home games we had?

They did a piece on the supporters trip. The people of the black perl will remember. The cbc van got a speeding ticket.

trane
04-11-2009, 06:56 PM
If we do not win next week, I will call for Mo and Carver's job, I think that they are both to blame, Mo because he has not put together the proper team, in particular in regard to CB, and Carver because at the end of the day, despite the lack of tallent, football is a game that a good coach can make a difference ( Greece winning in 2004 prime example), he is not making a positive difference, and insisting on starting Harmse and Barret is simply wrong. If I did not like him I would call for his job now, but I still like what I here from him, I just want to see result soon. If we do not win next week we will only have one win in five games, that is not a good start, please fo not try to sell me the koolaid, I aint having none of it. [ The one thing that I will say about Mo, is that he has made some good aqusitions, but has just failed to put a complete team togetehr so far]

Sally Mack
04-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Before I'm off, how about something positive?

Did you guys see the body check Harmse put on Cunty? How satisfying!
I've always hated harmse up until that very moment. Well worth the yellow. I was surprised cunny didn't get a beer shower to be honest lol.

trane
04-11-2009, 06:59 PM

Fuck what wiki says, you are right, a trequartisita, is an attacking mid/second striker.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 07:00 PM
If we do not win next week, I will call for Mo and Carver's job, I think that they are both to blame, Mo because he has not put together the proper team, in particular in regard to CB, and Carver because at the end of the day, despite the lack of tallent, football is a game that a good coach can make a difference ( Greece winning in 2004 prime example), he is not making a positive difference, and insisting on starting Harmse and Barret is simply wrong. If I did not like him I would call for his job now, but I still like what I here from him, I just want to see result soon. If we do not win next week we will only have one win in five games, that is not a good start, please fo not try to sell me the koolaid, I aint having none of it. [ The one thing that I will say about Mo, is that he has made some good aqusitions, but has just failed to put a complete team togetehr so far]

Not to heap pressure on Carver ... because he already has plenty imo.

But anyone who doubts the influence that a manager can have on a team .... I provide you exhibit A .... Chelsea with Luiz Filipe Scolari vs. Chelsea with Guus Hiddink. Drastic difference.

Marc"2L"
It's still too early to call for Carver. But I know what you're saying. At some point, without trying to sound like a nutjob.... you have to ask WHERE the problem is.

Asking if it's tactical doesn't seem too far out of reach right now.

Stryker

That Poll is asinine and Brenda is an idiot.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 07:02 PM

But anyone who doubts the influence that a manager can have on a team .... I provide you exhibit A .... Chelsea with Luiz Filipe Scolari vs. Chelsea with Guus Hiddink. Drastic difference.

just to prove your point....if your columbus do you wish you didnt let your coach leave and coach a team that is now 3-0?

Sally Mack
I don't think we've seen vitti and dichio together for a reasonable amount of time... I'd like to see that since vitti's got some wheels and can hold the ball, and dichio is not only a solid finisher, but a ball winner. In the offseason I had dreams of dichio nodding a goal kick on to vitti's foot for a breakaway lol

TFC USA
They did a piece on the supporters trip. The people of the black perl will remember. The cbc van got a speeding ticket.

Was that the game where Collin Samuel missed a penalty?

Shakes McQueen
04-11-2009, 07:04 PM

Those players quit on Scolari. He lost the locker room, and never got it back.

Carver isn't in the same boat at all. He's a players coach, almost to a fault. The players all seem to absolutely love the guy.

There were lots of reports that what happened to Scolari, was actually a concerted effort by the players, to essentially play like shit until he got sacked.

- Scott

TFC USA
04-11-2009, 07:04 PM
That Poll is asinine and Brenda is an idiot.

I have a creative way to shut them up.

trane
04-11-2009, 07:05 PM
It's still too early to call for Carver. But I know what you're saying. At some point, without trying to sound like a nutjob.... you have to ask WHERE the problem is.

Asking if it's tactical doesn't seem too far out of reach right now.

I realy like Carver, I realy want him to succed, but at some point, we need to see something else for a reasonable strech. We have not seen anything like that since, maybe May last year, and since then it has been either inconsistence or shite. I hope we win next week, that is what we have to do becasue clearly we are starting to put ourselves in the whole, if not we need to start thinking this through. I am just not seeing enough positice, you know if we were playing solid footy but just a bit unlucky, I may be ok, but we are not playing anything like solid footy for 90 minutes.

Manutd #1

alil off topic am i the only one who liked colin samual? probably lol if he had some more time with winsper maybe he would be abit better. He plays regular football in the spl league 1 and his team is almost a lock to be promoted to the spl next year.

Jamaicanadian

No bro I'm in that camp as well....I told OB that very thing last night; that I cant wait until he gets his shot....He said "soon man soon"....He didn't define soon......I don't think he'll play for Canada bro.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 07:07 PM
No bro I'm in that camp as well....I told OB that very thing last night; that I cant wait until he gets his shot....He said "soon man soon"....He didn't define soon......I don't think he'll play for Canada bro.

yea i didnt think he would play for canada but we need some more strikers on canada. I read somewhere that it wont be until summer, that he comes back like fully healed but hopefully he is ready sooner, i think we need him man

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 07:08 PM
DC United 1-2 RSL, Chicago 3-3 SJ

If KC, Columbus, and NYR draw or lose then it won't be AS bad...

Mark in Ottawa
04-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Very strange... everyone talked about needing a better defence but right now it looks like scoring goals is the problem.

How many games can you hope to win if you can't generate chances (yes there were a few today) and then bury the chances you have?

trane
04-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't think we've seen vitti and dichio together for a reasonable amount of time... I'd like to see that since vitti's got some wheels and can hold the ball, and dichio is not only a solid finisher, but a ball winner. In the offseason I had dreams of dichio nodding a goal kick on to vitti's foot for a breakaway lol

This is the combo, that most supporters have been calling for. For some reason Carver just does not see it. Clearly Carver may see something that he does not like, but from what can be seen on the pitch this combo, Dichio the "punta" with Vitti behind him, and DeRo close by, should be tried, why it is not is puzzling to say the least.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 07:10 PM

Carver isn't in the same boat at all. He's a players coach, almost to a fault. The players all seem to absolutely love the guy.

There were lots of reports that what happened to Scolari, was actually a concerted effort by the players, to essentially play like shit until he got sacked.

- Scott

Are you in the dressing room? Do you know what happens at practice?

My point is that a manager can have a huge influence on the way a team plays.

Debating whether or not Frank Lampard or John Terry did not want to play for Scolari because he was favouring Portuguese players is not the issue. Guus Hiddink got the team to respond ... Scolari didn't. Hiddink is succeeding (so far), Scolari was not (grain of salt here please).

trane
04-11-2009, 07:10 PM
DC United 1-2 RSL, Chicago 3-3 SJ

If KC, Columbus, and NYR draw or lose then it won't be AS bad...

This is one shite league. Sorry had to say it.

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 07:12 PM

That's the one.

Pookie
04-11-2009, 07:13 PM
No is denying the league is of lower quality.....but it'd be nice to be competative in the league even if the quality is low.

Sure. Though some might argue that 1-1-2 is a fairly competitive record. Not dominating, not being dominated. Competing.

Just a point about Barret's salary.

In the grand scheme of TFC, he makes less than De Rosario, Guevara, Robinson and Vitti.

He makes $10k more than Brennan and just $35k more than Ricketts and Sutton.

He seems to be middle of the pack as far as salaries of the starting 11 go.

He's not the #1 go to guy. To pin a draw on him alone is not entirely fair.

trane
04-11-2009, 07:13 PM

My point is that a manager can have a huge influence on the way a team plays.

Debating whether or not Frank Lampard or John Terry did not want to play for Scolari because he was favouring Portuguese players is not the issue. Guus Hiddink got the team to respond ... Scolari didn't. Hiddink is succeeding (so far), Scolari was not (grain of salt here please).

Striker get paid and played to score goals, if they do not ( or at least contribute toward the scoreing of goals0 they need to sit.

Coaches get paid to get maximum results out of their teams, by whatever means necessary. If they do not they need to be fired.

Enough excuses, these are the years in which the fundations of this franchise are being set, lets not set them on mediocraty or worse, and low expectations.

Inswingingwingman
04-11-2009, 07:14 PM
STFU.

Ok, am I pissed. yes.

Did we do better, yes.

Will we get better, yes.

Way better so far than last season.

Chill.

Yes I'm pissed. We should have won 4 to 1.

WE did not...but we are going foward.

Ibby was good. Harmse was 1/2 shite.

DeRo was good.

Dicchio should have come in 10 mins earlier.

Frey was great.

Lets get positive....we are going to make the playoffs.

And Seattle, still look like puke seaweed....

(Throws up).

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 07:14 PM
This is one shite league. Sorry had to say it.

Don't apologize....it's true. The best part is...we can be shit and still only be a game away from the playoffs! LOL. Thank god for the shit way they run this league....no matter what result we get we are always in contention to make the playoffs! :rolleyes:

reggie
04-11-2009, 07:16 PM
here we go here we go here we go again....can't score same shit diff year...

trane
04-11-2009, 07:16 PM
^ I need to buy you a beer, I like your glass half full view of this. Beleive it or not I share it, deep , deep inside.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Don't apologize....it's true. The best part is...we can be shit and still only be a game away from the playoffs! LOL. Thank god for the shit way they run this league....no matter what result we get we are always in contention to make the playoffs! :rolleyes:

That's a kind of depressing epiphany actually.

Stryker
Barrett is at scratch today in my books.
He missed the easy header but he came all the way back and stripped a Dallas player of a sure goal by the penalty spot.

Beach_Red
I realy like Carver, I realy want him to succed, but at some point, we need to see something else for a reasonable strech. We have not seen anything like that since, maybe May last year, and since then it has been either inconsistence or shite. I hope we win next week, that is what we have to do becasue clearly we are starting to put ourselves in the whole, if not we need to start thinking this through. I am just not seeing enough positice, you know if we were playing solid footy but just a bit unlucky, I may be ok, but we are not playing anything like solid footy for 90 minutes.

I agree, I like Carver, too, but it's possible the MLS just isn't for him, just doesn't fit his coaching style. How long does he get to try and make the adjustment? For an expansion team, Seattle seemed to do the right thing bringing in a coach with MLS success.

Every time this team looks like it's getting something together - say the last 4 or 5 games of last season - either the other teams adjust too easily, or the team quits - look at the last game of last season in San Jose. It's looking the same this year - they play well for a game or two and then either the other teams figure them out or they quit.

Of course, there's no shortcut to consistency, it can only come after teams play together, but is this team getting ANY more consistent?

Certainly the team needs another defender and right now that DP striker is looking like an absolute necessity, but overall the team doesn't look any better than they were in season one.

Norn_Irn_Toffee
04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
^ I need to buy you a beer, I like your glass half full view of this. Beleive it or not I share it, deep , deep inside.

I will need to buy u a beer next week when the mighty toffees hammer United to make the cup final!!

(sorry off topic)

Marc"2L"
here we go here we go here we go again....can't score same shit diff year...

The same shit different year attitude will KILL this club if it doesn't get put to bed this season and there's not a damn thing supporters can do to counter it.

trane

We need to get better, and then we can lead this league to higher ground, but we need to set the example. [ Right now it is Seatlle that is setting the example on the field, and for that I have to give it to them].

Inswingingwingman
04-11-2009, 07:19 PM
OH, and CBC, game in Hi Def, not.

The game in the shadows, I could not see squat.

And the constant talking, this is not baseball.

Stfu!

Learn how to describe a TV footy game.

That was sad...so was the finishing.

Shakes McQueen
04-11-2009, 07:19 PM

No, which is why I said they seem to love the guy.

I know that pretty much every time Barrett scored last season, he immediately ran and hugged JC first. I also know that Ricketts credits Carver with revitalizing his career (enter jokes here). Robbo has also gone on record saying he thinks Carver is a great coach.

- Scott

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I agree, I like Carver, too, but it's possible the MLS just isn't for him, just doesn't fit his coaching style. How long does he get to try and make the adjustment? For an expansion team, Seattle seemed to do the right thing bringing in a coach with MLS success.

Every time this team looks like it's getting something together - say the last 4 or 5 games of last season - either the other teams adjust too easily, or the team quits - look at the last game of last season in San Jose. It's looking the same this year - they play well for a game or two and then either the other teams figure them out or they quit.

Of course, there's no shortcut to consistency, it can only come after teams play together, but is this team getting ANY more consistent?

Certainly the team needs another defender and right now that DP striker is looking like an absolute necessity, but overall the team doesn't look any better than they were in season one.

We're consistently inconsistent. If that counts I don't know what to think anymore.

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 07:21 PM

You, like me, watch a much higher quality of football on a regular basis. I think that's where we both get our true football fix. TFC is live local football on a Saturday. It is what is. MLS. I love TFC, don't get me wrong. I look forward to watching them every weekend. But deep down inside I know what to expect and anything else on top of that is gravy. It is still frustrating when they drop silly points though.

napoli73
I don't think Barrett has the football IQ to be a good striker...sure he tries hard and runs like a madman, but at times his movement and decisions with and without the ball are not very good for a striker...i think he'd have a better career in the midfield.

Stryker
OH, and CBC, game in Hi Def, not.

The game in the shadows, I could not see squat.

And the constant talking, this is not baseball.

Stfu!

Learn how to describe a TV footy game.

That was sad...so was the finishing.
At least they get the score bar right and don't whore out the team for every dime of ad revenue they can get.

Manutd #1
I will need to buy u a beer next week when the mighty toffees hammer United to make the cup final!!

(sorry off topic)

what a comment lol I actually dont mind everton as they have some ex manutd players saha and howard and i know man utd havent been great lately but man utd always beats everton lol after next week all i will say to you is there is always next year for everton lol

sorry to keep it off topic lol

Pachuco
Carver has to be the worst coach in this league. Bench Vitti and play Barrett? WTF? I think it was unanimous 20,000 to 1 in that stadium that Vitti should've started over Barrett.

I can't wait to lose every game so we can get rid of this pathetic coach.

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 07:22 PM

It's true though, right?

reggie
04-11-2009, 07:23 PM
i have just has many goals has barrett has this season..

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 07:23 PM
It's true though, right?

Sadly. :(

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 07:24 PM
i have just has many goals has barrett has this season..

Me too.

rocker
we shoulda been up 2-0 at the half.

anyhow, i wanna see Vitti start. He was good in Columbus and looked capable against Seattle. I wanna see Vitti-guevara-de ro together. i think that will be our best group.

TFC USA
I'm alarmed at the way we play down to the level of our opponents.

0-0 draw with San Jose last year at home and 2-0 loss in our season finale.

0-0 with Los Angeles in the night game in 2007.

0-0 with Real Salt Lake in 2007.

1-1 with Dallas in 2009.

But this Dallas team that was great in 2007 we beat them 4-0. We beat Chicago 3-2 last year.

I don't get this team. This "good or suck" style of play is killing me. I'm pointing the finger from the players all the way to MO and they should get their ass working.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Me too.

the difference between him and the rest of us if we had his chances we would have more goals then him

MUFC_Niagara
04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Sadly. :(

It's because of 2 things:

1) We have "playoffs"...lol.
2) Everyone beats each other in this league. There is no "top" team.

Stryker
04-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Carver has to be the worst coach in this league. Bench Vitti and play Barrett? WTF? I think it was unanimous 20,000 to 1 in that stadium that Vitti should've started over Barrett.

Chillax. He doesn't want to bench Barrett because it'll kill what little confidence he has.
And what if it had worked out the other way? If Chad had scored two goals today he'd be happy as shit and greatful as hell to Carver for having faith in him. That's how you create good relationships between coach and player and team loyalty. It was a gamble and it didn't pay off.

I also think they may be trying to limit Vitti's playing time slightly for fear of him getting in a grove, potting a shit load and his price being driven way up.
Then again Im abit of a conspirist nutter.

Manutd #1
04-11-2009, 07:28 PM
just outta curiosity what makes everyone think vitti is this super striker he has 1 goal in 2 years for different teams, he has not lived up to his hype, i know he is young. im just asking why people think he will come in and make a difference i would rather ibrahim who is a true striker or dichio in with dero as a attacking midfielder. Who knows maybe vitti will be good but he is very unproven

Norn_Irn_Toffee
04-11-2009, 07:29 PM

I love your passion to see our team get hammered every week! :mad: Who else would u have manage our team... I love our team, but I am certain the Ancellotti`s of the world are not breaking their backs to come here.

trane
04-11-2009, 07:29 PM
You, like me, watch a much higher quality of football on a regular basis. I think that's where we both get our true football fix. TFC is live local football on a Saturday. It is what is. MLS. I love TFC, don't get me wrong. I look forward to watching them every weekend. But deep down inside I know what to expect and anything else on top of that is gravy. It is still frustrating when they drop silly points though.

Agreed. I love this team, I get angry and frustrated, because if we just played "solid" footy, we could dominate, but we just cannot. Seatle, from what I have seen, has been able to do it not spetacular just solid, and in this league so far they have looked spetacular by comparison.

Beach Red,

I think you identified the same game in which I started having realy serious questions about Carver, the last game of the season, it was such a poor effort.

Beach_Red
04-11-2009, 07:30 PM
I love your passion to see our team get hammered every week! :mad: Who else would u have manage our team... I love our team, but I am certain the Ancellotti`s of the world are not breaking their backs to come here.

Maybe a coach with some MLS success. I like the way Seattle poached the coach who won it all last year. There are other coaches out there who have won MLS Championships.

ensco
04-11-2009, 07:31 PM

- Scott

Anybody who has been on a team flight would dispute this. Forget the goal celebrations, which feel forced. The players are very wary around Carver and keep their distance.

trane
04-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Moyes?

Stryker
04-11-2009, 07:33 PM
The players are very wary around Carver and keep their distance.
I'd have to see it to believe it.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Maybe a coach with some MLS success. I like the way Seattle poached the coach who won it all last year. There are other coaches out there who have won MLS Championships.

When Steve Nicol was rumoured for our bench I was insanely excited.

He would be my ideal candidate if and/or when

a) he's available, b) we make a coaching change.

I also like what Preki is doing with Chivas.

trane
04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
^ At the end of the day, wether they like Carve or not does not matter, what matters, is he able to get results? If he can, he needs to do it soon.

Stryker
04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
When Steve Nicol was rumoured for our bench I was insanely excited.

He would be my ideal candidate if and/or when

a) he's available, b) we make a coaching change.

I also like what Preki is doing with Chivas.
Preki is a prick and probley the most disliked coach in the league by his players.

ensco
04-11-2009, 07:35 PM
I'd have to see it to believe it.

I'm not saying they hate him or that they tune him out. I'd be speculating as to what they really think. But it doesn't seem lovey dovey, that is absolutely for sure.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 07:37 PM
^ At the end of the day, wether they like Carve or not does not matter, what matters, is he able to get results? If he can, he needs to do it soon.

The fundamental problem is, as we were joking about earlier, is that the line between success and failure in this league is very much blurred.

Case and point ... Juan Carlos Osorio and the New York Red Bulls were nearly crowned MLS Champions last season after a dreadful regular season where they just squeaked into playoffs.

If this was single table, top team takes the hardware, ... TFC is a world of trouble right now 5 points from top only 4 games into the new season.

Suddenly the situation is more urgent.

trane
04-11-2009, 07:37 PM
^ I would not want a manager that is all lovey dovey with the player anyway, but bottom line is results.

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Preki is a prick and probley the most disliked coach in the league by his players.

But his team plays nice football and achieves results.

Ergo ... I don't care how disliked he is. (if that even is true)

Norn_Irn_Toffee
04-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Moyes?

Now yer talking, what a manager! although happily married, I LOVE this man, and think I would try jump him at every chance, and he would promptly leave because of such a scary fan!

trane
04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
The fundamental problem is, as we were joking about earlier, is that the line between success and failure in this league is very much blurred.

Case and point ... Juan Carlos Osorio and the New York Red Bulls were nearly crowned MLS Champions last season after a dreadful regular season where they just squeaked into playoffs.

If this was single table, top team takes the hardware, ... TFC is a world of trouble right now 5 points from top only 4 games into the new season.

Suddenly the situation is more urgent.

I agree, but I hope that this changes, maybe a couple of truly dominating teams, like Celtic/Rangers, would force evryone to get serious.

tml
What happened?? Horrible Game!! The crowd was even worse. No Atmosphere!! I thought I was @ a Leafs Game. This is not looking good for the 2009 season. Everyone should get a wake up call. The weather sure maybe a bit cool/windy. But that has nothing to do with not being able & making NOISE!!! I don't know what else to say. I hope it improves next game but that was mentioned when the boys played seattle. The boys in the supporter section. All this talk about making Noise,what happened??? WHERE DID YOU GUYS GO??? I was in 114 & I could hear NOTHING!!!! I Tried to help out but my section was even worse!!!!!!!

tfc2008
Carver out before it come to late, shame shame shame wat happend today.
We have to stand up NOW and not when it is to late

Stryker
Well if Preki did coach here, Guevara would be gonzo.

mclaren
04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
What happened?? Horrible Game!! The crowd was even worse. No Atmosphere!! I thought I was @ a Leafs Game. This is not looking good for the 2009 season. Everyone should get a wake up call. The weather sure maybe a bit cool/windy. But that has nothing to do with not being able & making NOISE!!! I don't know what else to say. I hope it improves next game but that was mentioned when the boys played seattle. The boys in the supporter section. All this talk about making Noise,what happened??? WHERE DID YOU GUYS GO??? I was in 114 & I could hear NOTHING!!!! I Tried to help out but my section was even worse!!!!!!!

I thought atmosphere wasn't too bad today.

TFC USA
04-11-2009, 07:43 PM
A guy on the Voyageurs forum said it best:

Mo Johnston does not know how to build a team. You have guys like Guevara and DeRo with possession-style play and a high football IQ, and then you have useless muppets like Ricketts and Harmse gazing at the CN Tower.

Time to stop playing favorites and cut the dead wood. The solution isn't a DP, the solution is better management and coaching.

Blizzard
04-11-2009, 07:43 PM
EXACTLY.

- Scott

... and that's why JC gave him the start. He gave him an opportunity to prove himself. It didn't quite work but as others here have said, his work rate was good and he set up Ibby for a golden opportunity.

Carver knows Chad can play better and will play better once he has finally managed to pot one.

Things will turn around for him but it might be worth letting him sit for a game to take some of the pressure off. We need Vitti to break through as well so hopeefully next week it will be DeRo and Vitti up front.

Jack
04-11-2009, 07:44 PM

Everyone around me was giving their all as usual. Not sure about what you were hearing over in 114 but there were certainly some good moments where we had 111, 112 and 113 going well.

I'll say this, the honeymoon is over. A lot of people are reverting to the Toronto type. It was "cool" to sing and chant but now the typical blase "I'm too cool for that shit I'd rather stand there like a zombie" Toronto attitude is kicking back in at the stadium.

dannyd
04-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Well, now Carver has some highly skilled players that are capable of beating any side in MLS

Not sure who your talking about, who are these guys who are soo much better then the mls, yet still play in the mls?

I'm not saying they're wonderful and better than mls. I'm just saying we have players who are high enough caliber to compete in this league and win games. Look at Columbus' players. Would you say in general they have much better players than us? I don't know I think an exceptional coach makes a huge difference, especially in this league with a tight salary cap...

Beach_Red
04-11-2009, 07:45 PM
I agree, but I hope that this changes, maybe a couple of truly dominating teams, like Celtic/Rangers, would force evryone to get serious.

You forgot the ;) after that.

TFC USA
04-11-2009, 07:46 PM
And Shakes, Barrett fails at everything he "tries to do". Yes, his work rate is miles better than Cunningham but so is some fat man in the rec league. I don't care. He can't pass, can't shoot, and seems to do better preventing goals than scoring them!

Beach_Red
04-11-2009, 07:48 PM
A guy on the Voyageurs forum said it best:

Mo Johnston does not know how to build a team. You have guys like Guevara and DeRo with possession-style play and a high football IQ, and then you have useless muppets like Ricketts and Harmse gazing at the CN Tower.

Time to stop playing favorites and cut the dead wood. The solution isn't a DP, the solution is better management and coaching.

Well that's every MLS team - you have this salary cap, roster limits and nationality requirements, you're going to have some deadwood at the bottom of the roster.

But that's not the problem with TFC - the prblem is that the "best" players aren't playing well enough. If Guevara and DeRo really are that good, then there's a problem with the coaching because niether of them did much today or last week apart from a few plays here and there - you simply need more from your best players and you need it for a longer than half a game.

tml
Everyone around me was giving their all as usual. Not sure about what you were hearing over in 114 but there were certainly some good moments where we had 111, 112 and 113 going well.

I'll say this, the honeymoon is over. A lot of people are reverting to the Toronto type. It was "cool" to sing and chant but now the typical blase "I'm too cool for that shit I'd rather stand there like a zombie" Toronto attitude is kicking back in at the stadium.

Yes I saw some going nuts but not like the whole section was giving 100% 111,112,113..If I can't hear u guys then something must be wrong. Just look @ Ultras & supporters from the euro leagues. 99.99% of the people are Vocal. 2 many slackers in my opinion @ TFC Games. Don't know what it is. This is a serious issue & should be looked @!

dannyd

I don't know where you get people "love him" and "hate him". I'm sure he's a great guy and has probably forgotten more about the game than I'll ever know. I'm just being observant and suggesting that he is a little out of his depth in a head coaching position and I don't think it's for him. He may have been a great assistant coach or trainer, but it's been over a year now and no results and I don't see the potential in him. Just my opinion...

RedWookie
04-11-2009, 07:50 PM
I did like when DiRO threw that guy to the ground. some nice revenge for tackling our goal keeper

TIRONA
CARVER has to go. He has no vision. With the players we have we can expect better. I only watched the second half on TV but shots were 18-10 Dallas - and we are playing at home, in the fortress that is BMO Field (or used to be). I dunno who could replace Carver, but something has to be done. If we cant score goals at home with the line up we have - then it is not the players fault (of course Carver had to criticize the players for the loss against Seattle). A coach CANNOT blame his players for the team underperforming. It is ultimately his fault.

I hope TFC tickets remain in the hands of fans rather than dicks - look at the leafs home games.

FluSH
Yes I saw some going nuts but not like the whole section was giving 100% 111,112,113..If I can't hear u guys then something must be wrong. Just look @ Ultras & supporters from the euro leagues. 99.99% of the people are Vocal. 2 many slackers in my opinion @ TFC Games. Don't know what it is. This is a serious issue & should be looked @!

well that's a whol different topic for another thread... unfortunately we can't control who sits in the Supporters Area.

Nuvinho
04-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I kinda made up a system (somewhat dumb), but its points won/lost (expected vs actual result)....on the road vs. home. On the road we are plus 2 points ( I only expected 2 points), at home we are minus 5 (I expected 2 wins). In MLS, it is vital to win home games, so any points lost right now, will definately hurt us later...........unless.......we win at Dallas next week ;)

(in the 2 game series with dallas I expected 4 points).

Jack
04-11-2009, 07:51 PM
That's Toronto for you.

We work hard to get what we have and will continue to do so, but there are a lot of people in the supporters sections who are just there for the "experience" or because the tickets are cheap.

We have a long way to go to get to the level of Europe and Central/South America.

It's been two years and a bit. Give it some time...culture doesn't change in two years.

tfc2008
04-11-2009, 07:54 PM

when they most give points for singing we play all 3 years playoff.
It is not about the supporters it is about the shit wat stay on the field

Whoop
04-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I thought 112 was very good today.

As for my game comments I will only say Cronin IMO is a candidate for ROY and if the game had ended 1-0 for TFC, Frei would have been my MOTM.

Vince Whirlwind
04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Oh man...MLSE would probably bring in Dale Mitchell to replace Carver/Johnston and spin it as doing us a favour as he once was our NMT manager.

Problem to me seems to be there's absolutely never a tactical build-up to goal. Everyone either hoofs the ball forward after it being on their feet for a nano-second, or holds it and loses it 'cause they don't know if teammates will be making runs or even where they're supposed to be.

It makes for ugly soccer to watch which soon turns into boring. I love TFC, but I can see a lot of empty seats and scalpers tears this season if things don't change soon.

Signing DeRosario is a great, but screw MLSE for denying us a DP. "5 Year plans" in this league are for losers and Seattle is already making your FO/Management all look like chumps.

Norn_Irn_Toffee
04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't know where you get people "love him" and "hate him". I'm sure he's a great guy and has probably forgotten more about the game than I'll ever know. I'm just being observant and suggesting that he is a little out of his depth in a head coaching position and I don't think it's for him. He may have been a great assistant coach or trainer, but it's been over a year now and no results and I don't see the potential in him. Just my opinion...

ManUtd1 probably gets it from threads like this, apparently the very first post in this thread says they love Carver...

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=11422

A mere 2 WEEKS AGO!

Blizzard
04-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Fuck what wiki says, you are right, a trequartisita, is an attacking mid/second striker.

I can't believe anybody relies on Wiki for "facts".

LucaGol
04-11-2009, 08:00 PM
If we are out of playoff spot by mid-June and we lose the Canadian Championship again, John Carver and Mo Johnston have to be let go. (If this is a serious organization)

We cannot piss away this entire season like we have the previous two.