PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol ban at BMO Field

Batman
04-11-2009, 07:56 AM
PAUL ATTFIELD
Globe and Mail Update

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090410.wspt-bmofield-ban-10/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home
April 10, 2009 at 9:22 PM EDT

TORONTO — When it rains it pours, it seems, especially when there's alcohol involved.

Hot on the heels of the Rogers Centre announcing a three-event ban on alcohol sales, which started with the Toronto Blue Jays' second home game of the season on Tuesday, BMO Field will now be subjected to a one-game ban on the sale of alcoholic beverages next month.

As a result of what is known as a pass-off, where patrons buy beer and hand it over to minors, which occurred at a Toronto FC Major League Soccer game at the stadium in May 2008, an exhibition game between two Portuguese soccer teams on May 30 will now be an alcohol-free event.
Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, the owner of Toronto FC and managers the city-owned facility, has already taken steps to make sure this kind of offence does not occur again.

"We previously contracted out our alcohol-management security," said Bob Hunter MLSE's executive vice-president of venues and entertainment. "We now bring existing staff over from the Air Canada Centre."

The bans at Rogers Centre, which will also affect a Blue Jays game against the Texas Rangers on April 21 and a Toronto Argonauts game on Aug. 1, came as a result of five transgressions involving alcohol and narcotics, and were selected by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario after the Rogers Centre submitted a series of dates.

In all such cases, the events which will be subjected to bans are chosen on a like-for-like basis, using criteria such as crowd size and revenue among others.

"For an offence at an AC/DC concert, for instance, you couldn't offer Disney on Ice or the Wiggles," said Lisa Murray, spokesperson for the AGCO.

Batman
04-11-2009, 07:57 AM
I saw this coming for a while. Too bad it wasn't last week because no one wanted beer when it was so friggin cold anyway.

Let's hope this is nipped in the bud, and it's a one time thing.

deltox
04-11-2009, 08:06 AM
so its not a TFC game?

FluSH
04-11-2009, 08:09 AM
1 game... not bad I can live with that. Heck I went half-a-season without drinking in season 2... It was great for the body and pocketbook.

RedWookie
04-11-2009, 08:11 AM
more money for joes afterwords if you ask me.

Plenty of Trout
04-11-2009, 08:12 AM
I was thinking of doing that today in the stands only for my 18 year old son who is 6"5" and will be 19 in July.

I guess even though I'm sure we can get away with it, the risks are huge.

FluSH
04-11-2009, 08:13 AM
^^^
The "pass-off" haha

Redpunkfiddle
04-11-2009, 08:16 AM
The Wookie needs no artificial enhancement.

I had thought there were going to be 4 dry events. But had anybody heard about this match? Two Portugese teams?

deltox
04-11-2009, 08:19 AM
i wont even be at this match. most TFC regulars wont be there anyway

Super
04-11-2009, 08:19 AM
So the pass-off happened at a TFC game, but the ban is for a game between two Portuguese teams playing at BMO in May?

I can live with that, haha!

Batman
04-11-2009, 08:20 AM
No I hadn't heard about it. For a moment I thought they were going to do the ban at a TFC match, but it appears it's a Portugese Match because the previous violation was at a Portugese match last year.

Alcohol and Gaming Commission is certianly flexing their muscled though. TFC and BMO filed will have to be careful.

RedWookie
04-11-2009, 08:20 AM
The Wookie needs no artificial enhancement.

I had thought there were going to be 4 dry events. But had anybody heard about this match? Two Portugese teams?

I was talking about wings and other sorts of delicious snacks.

btw:
Kick off in 7 short hours. Come On You Reds!

Super
04-11-2009, 08:25 AM
No I hadn't heard about it. For a moment I thought they were going to do the ban at a TFC match, but it appears it's a Portugese Match because the previous violation was at a Portugese match last year.

Alcohol and Gaming Commission is certianly flexing their muscled though. TFC and BMO filed will have to be careful.

Ah, okay, so the pass-off wasn't at a TFC game. Either way, I find it really strict that you would punish a whole stadium because of a single pass-off. I mean, punish the guy, not the establishment. They're carding 70-year old's for pete sake, what more can they do?

FluSH
04-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Ah, okay, so the pass-off wasn't at a TFC game. Either way, I find it really strict that you would punish a whole stadium because of a single pass-off. I mean, punish the guy, not the establishment. They're carding 70-year old's for pete sake, what more can they do?

Liquor Licence officials... they need to bust someone at some point to justify their assignemts. and then make them PAY!

jabbronies
04-11-2009, 08:34 AM
So who are the two Portugese teams playing??

Carts
04-11-2009, 08:46 AM
"For an offence at an AC/DC concert, for instance, you couldn't offer Disney on Ice or the Wiggles," said Lisa Murray, spokesperson for the AGCO.

That's of the greatest quotes ever LOL...

Carts...

Mikey
04-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Beers prices at BMO are super-boosted with Idiot tax.
Thankfully I'm exempt and I buy my beer for half the price before and afterwards.....

sully
04-11-2009, 12:29 PM
So who are the two Portugese teams playing??

anybody? and why would two Portugese teams play at BMO?

RicoSuave44
04-11-2009, 01:31 PM
anybody? and why would two Portugese teams play at BMO?

Any how could they do it without beer?! Honestly! Jokes!

Really though. I've been in food and bev my whole adult life and have seen the silliest, stupidest, costliest, unsafest etc all in the name of the AGCO. Ontario's draconian liquor laws are a joke and remind us that Toronto The Good/Queen's Park Mob still exists today. There is something wrong with our society when a stadium loses it's licence because one (or ten!) 18 year olds got a 'pass off'.

spezz44
04-11-2009, 01:37 PM
i actually have seen alot of underagers getting busted in the stadium, i have been surprised by how many actually.

bhoybobby
04-11-2009, 08:16 PM
They should ban Barrett & Harmse instead of alcohol, they cause much more harm than bevvying does.

kodiakTFC
04-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Bob Hunter is the father of one of my best friends, gotta love bob hunter!

Jeff s
04-11-2009, 08:21 PM
I dont care about the beer, I just wanna know which Portuguese teams are coming!

grizzle
04-11-2009, 09:03 PM
At least its not a TFC game... this thread worried me for a minute.

mclaren
04-11-2009, 09:30 PM
My BMO Beer Boycott is still in effect so no change for me ;)

K1nG
04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
FC Porto vs Benfica

Keyman
04-11-2009, 09:44 PM
But the pass-off is the only way for me to drink at games!

Nooooooo!!!!

apetimberlake
04-11-2009, 10:26 PM
FC Porto vs Benfica

That game will be rammed packed!!!!
That sucks for all our portuguese buddys around the city!!!

Oh well, I guess they will have to eat BBQ chicken and drink cider in Trinity Bellwoods before the match.

Inswingingwingman
04-12-2009, 05:55 AM
MLSE should have enough political push to get the stupid law changed. What is weird is that if a bar got caught 4 times it would be a 1 day, a 7 day, a 14 day and a 30 day suspension. Then one 90 and the licence is gone.

But given the prices the MLSE and the province both lose a whack of cash. It's really really stupid for the province to kick itself in the cujones.

They need to ensure that the right programs and checks are in place, and then fine the people involved.

Last I heard Lorenzo the MPP from Scarberia was going to submit ammended wording. It would change the act from stupid things like "did permit a minor to consume" to "did knowingly permit a minor to consume".

I went to 2 events where he promised this ammendment for September and I fear McFlinty told him to shut up...

Fort York Redcoat
04-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Not interested in the Portu-friendly but have fun those that go. I'm happy TFC isn't playing another meaningless friendly. These bans are a piss off but shouldn't be instrumental to any one's attendance to the game on this board.

Parkdale
04-12-2009, 03:55 PM

last year I saw Motely Crue at the Molson Ampitheatre and it was dry
because of infractions at a show the previous summer (I think it was Kid Rock).

glad that it won't effect a TFC game, but it's only a matter of time until it happens.

Dale_Rojo
04-12-2009, 03:58 PM
not surprising. i used to play for Toronto Eagles SC we played at JJP (Over at caledonia) we got a pretty good turnout for games.. Very Portugese area though .... there was no beer and they were still pretty vocal ect =P