PDA

View Full Version : CBC Sports Soccer Plus+ and Live Game Blog

johnmolinaro
04-09-2009, 01:31 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/04/08/sp-soccer-show.html

Just a reminder that Nigel Reed, Jason de Vos and myself will return for CBC Sports Soccer Plus+, a live and interactive online soccer show on Friday April 10 at 3 p.m. ET.

The show will feature discussions on Toronto FC, Major League Soccer and international soccer. We will also interact with soccer fans and respond to questions, so email your questions early to Soccer@cbc.ca.

Also, I'm going to be blogging live from BMO Field for Saturday's game:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/04/08/sp-tfc-dallas-blog.html

The blog goes live at 3PM - one hour before kickoff - so stop by and ask a question of me and then stick around for my brilliant play-by-play analysis.

And you can also vote in our weekly Fan Footie Poll here:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/04/09/sp-footie-fan-poll.html
Was Toronto FC coach John Carver right to slam his team after last week's loss?

And, of course, the game will air live on the main CBC network and streamed lived on CBCSports.ca.

Cheers,
John

Red CB Toronto
04-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Is there a direct link to the show, it is not on the front page of cbcsport.ca?

johnmolinaro
04-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Is there a direct link to the show, it is not on the front page of cbcsport.ca?

the show goes live at 3pm ET on Friday. at 2:50, a link highlighted in yellow will appear on right-hand side of cbcsports.ca.

John

johnmolinaro
04-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Just a reminder the show be going live at 3PM ET. submit your questions at soccer@cbc.ca as we'll try to answer as many as we can, while looking ahead to the Dallas game.,

John

InTheCrowd
04-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Will we be able to watch like a recorded version after it's done?

Toronto_Bhoy
04-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks John…I enjoy your work.

Red CB Toronto
04-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Yes you can, I watched it after the fact last week.

InTheCrowd
04-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Yes you can, I watched it after the fact last week.

Thank you. :)

FluSH
04-10-2009, 12:50 PM
just a little over an hour to go... I'll try to catch this.

DOMIN8R
04-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Questions sent.

FluSH
04-10-2009, 01:31 PM
same...

BosakWBC
04-10-2009, 01:33 PM
glad i stumbled accross this just now, will make a boring day at work less shitty.

johnmolinaro
04-10-2009, 01:40 PM

yes, it will be archived.

Daveisonfire
04-10-2009, 02:04 PM
so this is just online right?

dantdot
04-10-2009, 02:06 PM
^ yes

JDG
04-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Can we get a direct link please?
It should be live now, but I'm not seeing it when I follow the links above.

Yohan
04-10-2009, 02:53 PM
it's over

johnmolinaro
04-10-2009, 03:09 PM
here's the ondemand archive:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/ondemand/?playlistId=420a65442fa7b343551416840309cbb4deef0e 97&videoId=1089094834

John

JDG
04-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks John!

TorCanSoc
04-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Man. I missed this thread. I have to stop trying to catch up on house work!!! Thanks for the link John!

TorCanSoc
04-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Just watched it. Preaching to the converted here, great show!
you need to talk more John !

johnmolinaro
04-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Just watched it. Preaching to the converted here, great show!
you need to talk more John !

LOL! I find it very intimidating sitting with De Vos, who knows the game a helluva lot better than I do!

johnmolinaro
04-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Next show is on Friday May 1 and we should be on brand new set, so it'll look a lot better.

Any suggestions you have on how we can improve the show (aside from the aforementioned comment that I need to speak up more!) would be greatly appreciated.

Don't be shy - share your thoughts on what we can do better.

Oldtimer
04-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Next show is on Friday May 1 and we should be on brand new set, so it'll look a lot better.

Any suggestions you have on how we can improve the show (aside from the aforementioned comment that I need to speak up more!) would be greatly appreciated.

Nigel needs a good night's sleep. ;)

Having a little bit more (although not overdoing it) debate would be nice. Find something you disagree on and debate away! (for examples, see the things we argue about on our board!!!! :lol:)

Nazzer
04-10-2009, 04:31 PM

Make the show longer. Both times I've watched the show it seems like you start to scratch the surface of an issue and I'm left wanting more.

Rocco
04-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Great show, it's always good to see Canadian soccer coverage. My only suggestion to an otherwise perfect show is some highlights. I felt there were a couple of comments that just needed some fotage. Like when talking about Ricketts, should have used some of his goals, or some of his moves. Also when talking about Canadian soccer and having kids grow up emulating Canadian stars like Jimmy, his 30 yard free kick against Colombus would have been a great clip to show....and so on and so forth.

InTheCrowd
04-10-2009, 04:43 PM
You lot didn't read my question! *shakes his fist*

I'll be tuning in next time. Cheers!

FluSH
04-10-2009, 05:23 PM
I wasn't able to watch the entire broadcast... but I did notice John looking down to his left... which I would say was his laptop as he was probably scouting the questions online. I would probably just recommend looking down to the right instead of away from the Nigel and De Vos... it just looks a bit more respectful I guess than looking away from them.

MEU
04-10-2009, 05:24 PM
John,

Thanks for your and CBC's efforts for putting on this show. We do appreciate it.

Couple of notes:
1. There seems to be an echo, especially when Nigel is talking. Are you guys shooting in the janitor's room?
2. Set seems to be dark... Darkish background, dressed in black, grey shade effect in the back. Although, this might be fixed with the new set.
3. Good discussions of various issues
4. Nigel leads the discussions well. Jason has good input (but keeps akwardly cuting off Nigel a few times), you do need to get into the chat a bit more.
5. You guys need to drink a beer before going on the set.

Red CB Toronto
04-10-2009, 05:52 PM
John,

I think it is a great show, very informative, I have a question, are you guys just using a mounted web cam or is someone manning it, I looks to me their is no movement.

The reason i ask is because if it could happen, i think a two camera system would be great, one with a wide pan of the group and the other focused on who is currently speaking, I know it is more of a production thing than content and it could be cost thing, I am just curious.

Keep up the great work.

James Oliphant
04-10-2009, 06:09 PM
John,

I think it is a great show, very informative, I have a question, are you guys just using a mounted web cam or is someone manning it, I looks to me their is no movement.

The reason i ask is because if it could happen, i think a two camera system would be great, one with a wide pan of the group and the other focused on who is currently speaking, I know it is more of a production thing than content and it could be cost thing, I am just curious.

Keep up the great work.

It's one camera locked-off because they're using green screen (chroma-key) to insert the background. You can't pan a camera or cut multiple camera in an all chroma-key environment because the background will never change (unless you're using virtual sets and camera tracking like Global National does on a nightly basis)

John mentioned on the U-Sector boards that they're likely moving to a new set next week, so hopefully that will eliminate the chroma-keying and allow them to open it up to more cameras.

EDIT: Not next week...next show. Which is on May 1st.

jloome
04-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Good show John! Throw in some phoners and you're set.

InTheCrowd
04-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Extend the length of the show and answer more questions.

Good job, cheers!

arbogast
04-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Extend the length of the show and answer more questions.

Good job, cheers!

Yeah it just get's going and then it's over, but maybe that'll keep us coming back every week.

Also I'd like to see more info on what's going on with the Impact and Whitecaps. I know the CBC is an MLS rights holder and should focus on that property, I think, as the Nation's public broadcaster, it would be nice to see some more info on the game all over the country.

Marc"2L"
04-11-2009, 01:05 AM
I wonder if John can answer why the game won't be broadcast in HD like last week....
If it's because "it's not the home opener" CBC loses a lot of cred in my book.
Don't tease me like that.

johnmolinaro
04-11-2009, 12:10 PM
I wonder if John can answer why the game won't be broadcast in HD like last week....
If it's because "it's not the home opener" CBC loses a lot of cred in my book.
Don't tease me like that.

Not sure why.

Be sure to join me for our live game blog at 3PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/04/08/sp-tfc-dallas-blog.html

I'll post the starting lineups as soon as I get them and pass along any other I gather when arrive at BMO.

John

tim90
04-11-2009, 07:52 PM
who is the toronto fc media intren email