PDA

View Full Version : Mo on McBride

Flashman
05-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Mo Johnston comments on Brian McBride

Toronto FC Media Relations
Toronto FC Manager and Director of Soccer Mo Johnston spoke with the media on Thursday following Brian McBride's announcement that he wants to return to MLS.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080529&content_id=161751&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Shaughno
05-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Good to know that they are considering it but it definitely seems like Mo's leaning towards value rather than player.

Damien
05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Mo could be creative and sign him then extort something out of ANY team who wants him... hopefully this doesnt turn into another Conner Casey.

ilikemusic
05-29-2008, 12:43 PM
We should be able to get alot of value back for McBride.

Chicago and Columbus are going to fall all over themselves to bring him in.

Nodoubtguy
05-29-2008, 12:48 PM
I love a good extortion ploy!!!

Ossington Mental Youth
05-29-2008, 12:51 PM
There is still a possibility we will get screwed just in the fact that the MLS will prob bend to any preferences McBride has (see the Donovon to Dallas situation). Even then im willing to bet that A) Mo wont let it happen and B) they dont want to upset TFC fans as we are recognized as having a voice.

sully
05-29-2008, 12:56 PM
exchange for whatever Chicago's got up front plus allocation - gotta be better than you know who.. this is great - it's like spin the wheel with a guarantee of winning something.. - unless MLS interferes like Os says above

Flashman
05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Dallas didn't get nothing in the Donovon deal... they got Carlos Ruiz, who had scored 50 goals in 72 regular season games, and 13 goals in 10 playoff games, for LA (and was still a flopper - ed.)

Ossington Mental Youth
05-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Dallas didn't get nothing in the Donovon deal... they got Carlos Ruiz, who had scored 50 goals in 72 regular season games, and 13 goals in 10 playoff games, for LA (and was still a flopper - ed.)

HAHA
fair enough.
i stand corrected

Ossington Mental Youth
05-29-2008, 12:59 PM
He was acting up for a while there, but i stand corrected none the less

TorontoBlades
05-29-2008, 01:00 PM
I like how mo stood up a named that a big price was in order - before the MLS got themselves involved to push the deal through for a lesser deal as they have done in the past. Great publicity move IMO

Flashman
05-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Oh ya, definite head case with excess baggage and I wouldn't want him on TFC, but he had quite significant value at the time.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I like how mo stood up a named that a big price was in order - before the MLS got themselves involved to push the deal through for a lesser deal as they have done in the past. Great publicity move IMO

yeah, totally
Great tactic, just what i like to see from our Mo

TFCREDNWHITE
05-29-2008, 01:16 PM
There is still a possibility we will get screwed just in the fact that the MLS will prob bend to any preferences McBride has (see the Donovon to Dallas situation). Even then im willing to bet that A) Mo wont let it happen and B) they dont want to upset TFC fans as we are recognized as having a voice.

Very good point, the MLS has a history of fucking teams over when it comes to this. Thats why i think Mo went public with all this, because he wants MLS to fear screwing us(the fans) over!!!

noochie
05-29-2008, 01:17 PM
What is he gonna sign for? Is this definitely no question going to be a DP deal for whomever gets him? Or could we possibly deal him to Columbus where they will give him max non-DP in exchange for their DP slot and allocation money?

Also, does CHI has a second DP slot available? They already have Blanco.

noochie
05-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Very good point, the MLS has a history of fucking teams over when it comes to this. Thats why i think Mo went public with all this, because he wants MLS to fear screwing us(the fans) over!!!

Great point.

TorontoBlades
05-29-2008, 01:20 PM
yeah, totally
Great tactic, just what i like to see from our Mo

just noticed you already made that point - good call :hump:

Broadview
05-29-2008, 01:41 PM
If TFC gets screwed over in this deal, the All-Star game comming up where all eyes will be on Toronto. Fans would be able to make a protest statement over the lack of transparency and general bush leaguedness of MLS.

The soccer world: "Why are all the TFC fans so mad?"

TFC fan: "'Cuz MLS makes up rules as it goes along. They'll do end-runs around their own rules at the merest prospect of making a buck."

The soccer world: "Oh, I see. Well that's not very professional, is it. Is that the only reason they're angry?"

TFC fan: "Nope. They don't want pointy-ball played in their soccer stadium either."

ag futbol
05-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Well I think "screwed over" is a relative term. We all know these rules are completely retarded.

Red CB Toronto
05-29-2008, 05:12 PM
What was the story behind Ladycakes going to Dallas, also I do not think you can compare McBride to Conor Casey as he has a big time MLS backbround and has been successful in the EPL, one of the top flights in the world.

toonarmy
05-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I doubt that MLS will intervene. I assume that McBride decided to leave England for the MLS knowing full well that Toronto had first dibs on him and there was a possibility that he might end up in Toronto.

I would much rather that we offloaded him to another team that was willing to give us a lot for him.

ag futbol
05-29-2008, 05:34 PM
He wasn't part of the deal, he was the guy they signed instead after their number one option got ruled out.

arsenal
05-29-2008, 05:46 PM
He wasn't part of the deal, he was the guy they signed instead after their number one option got ruled out.

The Galaxy and Donovan were already the targets of MLS critics when Donovan executed a sudden exit from German club Bayer Leverkusen just before the start of the 2005 MLS season. Donovan’s preferred MLS destination was Los Angeles, but Dallas was in line to get first crack to claim any new player coming into the league. After some behind-the-scenes machinations, the Galaxy engineered a “trade” with Dallas that sent Ruiz to Dallas for the draft rights to Donovan. The transaction was quick, tidy and very convenient for a league that was very willing to twist its rules in order to accommodate its most marketable star player.

http://tvsportsdaily.com/article.php?story=20071214072130922

ag futbol
05-29-2008, 06:15 PM
The Galaxy and Donovan were already the targets of MLS critics when Donovan executed a sudden exit from German club Bayer Leverkusen just before the start of the 2005 MLS season. Donovan’s preferred MLS destination was Los Angeles, but Dallas was in line to get first crack to claim any new player coming into the league. After some behind-the-scenes machinations, the Galaxy engineered a “trade” with Dallas that sent Ruiz to Dallas for the draft rights to Donovan. The transaction was quick, tidy and very convenient for a league that was very willing to twist its rules in order to accommodate its most marketable star player.

http://tvsportsdaily.com/article.php?story=20071214072130922

^ my mistake, you win.

stretchthetruth
05-30-2008, 01:18 AM
no wonder Landy is such a douche, they were all tickling HIS balls until Becks came along... get ready to pelt that wrist kissing shit bag with pink!