PDA

View Full Version : Official newspaper of tfc

egoodwin
04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Yes, another thread about past events.

When does the title of Official Newspaper of TFC become up for grabs again?

When it does come up again, I really do hope they rule out the Sun.

As far as I am concerned, I have zero confidence in the Sun's ability to be TFC's official newspaper, I believe they have lost their right to be called that. Really for a team that is marketed based on it's supporters, to have an official newspaper that allows it's sport hacks (Simmons, Gary Loewen, etc) continually write drive by slander of TFC's supporters is wrong.

And really, in the same week as they are looking for the best TFC supporter in a contest, (which I think they did a shit job of picking the winner, the winner's entry had next to nothing to do specifically with TFC...), they went and did front page and articles for a week attacking the TFC supporter, then on the day after the home opener they go and celebrate the TFC Supporter returning to BMO

I really do hope that the title goes up for grabs soon, because The Sun, just doesn't deserve it. It really should go to a more suitable paper, aka the Globe & Mail, or even the Toronto Star (if they get rid of Cathal)

Wagner
04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
newspapers are dinosaurs...will the Sun even be around in its current form 5 years from now?

tfcleeds
04-08-2009, 03:06 PM
[quote=egoodwin;460844]

As far as I am concerned, I have zero confidence in the Sun's ability to be TFC's official newspaper, I believe they have lost their right to be called that. Really for a team that is marketed based on it's supporters, to have an official newspaper that allows it's sport hacks (Simmons, Gary Loewen, etc) continually write drive by slander of TFC's supporters is wrong.

quote]

Gary Loewen may make the odd crack about TFC, but his column isn't to be taken seriously to begin with - its basically meant to be a humourous take on current events in the world of sports. He takes pot-shots at teams/individuals in all sports, all meant in jest.

Yes, I would agree that between Wheeler, Lardass Steve Simmons et al, the Sun has effectively forfeited its right to be the "official newspaper" of TFC.

egoodwin
04-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I'd like to see it be the Globe

the Globe were one of, if not the first, to call the columbus bit, bullshit

Roogsy
04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
The Globe has been the only steady, objective printed media source since day 1.

Stouffville_RPB
04-08-2009, 03:24 PM
newspapers are dinosaurs...will the Sun even be around in its current form 5 years from now?

Image the SSG possibilities if The Sun goes internet only! :hump:

Red CB Toronto
04-08-2009, 03:28 PM
The title "Official Newpaper of TFC" is a corporate/adverting deal, the articles/content fall uder editorial, two completely seperate departments, yes if you ask anyone in ther buiz that these two departments have been at odds from time to time, because when a writers writes a negative/critical article about company and if company buys a lot of add space in the article, advertising is bound to make an issue of it, but in most peoples eyes advertising/corporate really has no buisness trying to influence editorial content.

Not knowing the ins and outs of the TFC/Sun I am not sure how it all works, but from past experience it most likely includes add buys from both sides, I am not really sure who this deal would benefit more, is the Sun paying the Reds to be the Official paper or is it the other way around, I think it would be somewhere in the middle, but who knows.

KrazyKanadian
04-08-2009, 03:29 PM
We have an official paper??

dupont
04-08-2009, 05:21 PM
The Globe is the only responsible and intelligent newspaper in this city- but a lot of people prefer the Sun because they include pictures of ugly girls with lots of plastic surgery pretending to be younger than they are.
Seriously, the Sun is basically a tabloid paper (my mom reads it though.. blah)

scooter
04-08-2009, 05:24 PM
there is a start stop buying newspapers especially ones that print bullshit about soccer

Jack
04-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Thankfully, what CBlake says is true. If the advertising department ever gets control over the editorial department (and I wouldn't be surprised if there are influences there) then we're all in deep shit.

ExiledRed
04-08-2009, 05:35 PM
I feel sorry for people who actually buy the Sun for the news.

They can't write in and complain!

Cashcleaner
04-08-2009, 11:30 PM
The Globe is the only responsible and intelligent newspaper in this city- but a lot of people prefer the Sun because they include pictures of ugly girls with lots of plastic surgery pretending to be younger than they are.
Seriously, the Sun is basically a tabloid paper (my mom reads it though.. blah)

Well, to be honest it IS printed in tabloid format, but I know what you're saying. Personally, I'd rather the Star got its ass in gear and hired a competent soccer columnist who actually likes the team here in town.

CretanBull
04-08-2009, 11:43 PM
The Globe has been the only steady, objective printed media source since day 1.

Without a doubt.

Red CB Toronto
04-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Well, to be honest it IS printed in tabloid format, but I know what you're saying. Personally, I'd rather the Star got its ass in gear and hired a competent soccer columnist who actually likes the team here in town.

Well the Globe had that with Ben Knight, I know most if not all of his work was for online but budget cuts came up and he was one too go, I think Ben is a great writer and his passion for the game and this team comes through in his writing. Heck he even mentioned how at the opener he got an evil eye for chearing in the press box, now I got that is a work enviroment and having been around quite a few myself I know how most work. but I do agree with what he said is that too many people are affraid to write with emotion.

Commie Red
04-09-2009, 01:00 AM
there is a start stop buying newspapers especially ones that print bullshit about soccer

People here could also stop linking to the "Sunshine Girl" each day as well. Each gratuitous hit they get from us only helps maintain this smarmy rag in its current form.

(CNA ratings measure "hits" not ad click-throughs).

Petor
04-09-2009, 04:18 AM
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/615949

Looks like The Star might be getting its act together.

Cashcleaner
04-09-2009, 08:39 AM
^ Good article. Thanks for the link, Petor.

tfc007
04-09-2009, 09:11 AM
We should start a supporters local news paper!

Calvin
04-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes, another thread about past events.

When does the title of Official Newspaper of TFC become up for grabs again?

And really, in the same week as they are looking for the best TFC supporter in a contest, (which I think they did a shit job of picking the winner, the winner's entry had next to nothing to do specifically with TFC...), they went and did front page and articles for a week attacking the TFC supporter, then on the day after the home opener they go and celebrate the TFC Supporter returning to BMO

I really do hope that the title goes up for grabs soon, because The Sun, just doesn't deserve it. It really should go to a more suitable paper, aka the Globe & Mail, or even the Toronto Star (if they get rid of Cathal)

EFL people read the sun?

Red CB Toronto
04-09-2009, 09:50 AM
When it comes to the Star, their coverage really has been quite good, Daniel Girard has been writing great stuff, was down in Carolina and has been writing about the team regularly, it is just that Cathal on the other hand has gotten most of the attention due to his colums.

egoodwin
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Other than the Sun's comment section, especially on Sundays, I have no need for the Sun, especially since they cheapened their comics by putting the good ones on their site, and replaced them with shite

Heathen
04-09-2009, 10:30 AM
When it comes to the Star, their coverage really has been quite good, Daniel Girard has been writing great stuff, was down in Carolina and has been writing about the team regularly, it is just that Cathal on the other hand has gotten most of the attention due to his colums.

Yeah Girard's doing well, unfortunately he's bound to suffer some fallout from the Kelly affair.

jloome
04-09-2009, 05:24 PM
As a Sun employee who has written quite positively about this team, I'd just like to point out that boycotting that particular paper makes it less likely I'll be able to pay my mortgage next month.

Thanks.