PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to TFC Front Office

bgnewf
04-08-2009, 09:46 AM
An open letter to – Toronto FC

April 8th 2009

In your capacity as the primary media and public relations contact for Toronto FC, I am sure you have been aware of the controversy surrounding the media coverage of alleged unruly TFC fan behavior in Columbus and at the team’s home opener last week against Seattle at BMO Field.

You are aware that as a result certain journalists in Toronto have characterized TFC fans as ‘hooligans” and being part of a “firm”. You have undoubtedly been made aware that a number of commentators have directly blamed TFC supporters groups like the North End Elite, U Sector and the Red patch Boys for encouraging and not addressing this kind of activity. “Hooligan” and “firm” are terms that some media throw around without apparently understand the true meaning of the words and the serious impact they can have on the reputation of an individual or a group.
You must also be aware that these allegations are for the most part off base. Your own Director of TFC Security stated on a supporters message board this week that “…the behavior of the supporters on Saturday was very good indeed. Other than the throwing of a few cups of beer on the park, during and after the game… it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that the overwhelming majority of our supporters come to games with one aim on mind, to watch the Reds win a game of football. But it only takes one or two people who throw things onto the park to have everyone tarred with the same brush. I sincerely encourage the atmosphere we have at BMO, but let’s keep all that energy to supporting the boys and not to doing something stupid that will have a long lasting effect on all of us…”

TFC’s own Director of Security states that he is aware that the actions of a few unaffiliated individuals should not be used to characterize all of us as unruly fans or hooligans. On many occasions Supporters Group members have reported having to address from the general public comments and remarks about alleged hooliganism and behavior that implies that what these individuals are reading about in the media must be true. These comments from the general public are based on the distortions and in some cases outright lies that have been published and have gone unchallenged or corrected by your group.

Toronto FC has marketed the club to a large degree based on the atmosphere and game day experience that the Supporters Groups largely contribute to. Yet when these very individuals and groups, so important to the future success of the club, are slandered and labeled as hooligans and members of firms, we hear nothing from you or your staff to attempt to put the record straight.

I think that before these distortions and half truths become even more believed by the general public it is your group’s responsibility to address these press issues in more of a direct manner. As an employee of a company that owes much of its success to the work and dedication of the Supporters Groups that are so passionate about our club, I strongly feel that you owe us more support and effort to proactively set the record straight than what we have seen from your group to this point. I look forward to your reply.

Thank you
Tim Drodge
U Sector

renda-10
04-08-2009, 09:49 AM
well put

Shaughno
04-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Very well done.

Parkdale
04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
agreed that the team should come out with a (well crafted) statement.

Right now, TFC is making news (not for good reasons) and hopefully they can
use this attention to focus on what really matters - the best sporting experience in Toronto.

JDG
04-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I've never met a Newf I didn't like, and you keep on reminding me why.
No nonsense, and to the point. Not afraid to speak your mind.
No Bullshit.

bgnewf
04-08-2009, 09:58 AM
No Bullshit.

Cheers mate.:drinking:

FluSH
04-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Bravo,

Protecting the goodwill of Toronto FC and TFC supporters is a must. (I was going to write and may still write something to this regard).

Super
04-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Great letter, Tim. I think you'll find support from ALL supporters on this issue, and I hope that they will read and act on the letter - as it speaks for us all. Well done!

Wagner
04-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Why not address it to Mr. Paul?

Michelle has consistently been cold towards the SGs.

Hopefully some positive action will come from your letter.

Blizzard
04-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Why not address it to Mr. Paul?

Michelle has consistently been cold towards the SGs.

Hopefully some positive action will come from your letter.

All the more reason to aim this at Michelle IMO. It is a media problem and that is her department.

Shaughno
04-08-2009, 10:29 AM
^^ Very much so Blizzard. As if Paul doesn't have enough crap to deal with from the supporters. :lol:

Parkdale
04-08-2009, 10:32 AM
As if Paul doesn't have enough crap to deal with from the supporters. :lol:

like protecting the young ones from our foul language. :cool:

manic.street.preacher
04-08-2009, 10:33 AM
well put ... hopefully you get a response

King Jeff
04-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Just to confirm, this letter has actually been submitted, not just posted online, right?

Bluenose13
04-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Very well written......Nice job, Tim !

mike_bouma
04-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Finally an "open letter" I can get behind. Nice work.

Nodoubtguy
04-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Great letter....

Phil
No Bullshit.

Gotta agree with that. I am biased though. :D

Daveisonfire
Good job man...perfectly put

Hitcho
04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Michelle - please also be aware that a number of people have posted on here (including me) to the effect that work colleagues and friends have asked us whether it is safe to take their children to TFC games now. This is extremely damaging to the club as it threatens future generations of fans and therefore revenue streams. It literally adds injury to insult.

I do not feel that I should have to defend myself or my fellow TFC fans at work to people who have been misinformed by the press to such a degree that they look at me with raised eyebrows now when talking about the BMO Field experience. These are the same people who were clamouring for tickets in season 1 and 2 because they'd heard so many positive things about it.

This is not just supporters feeling sorry for themselves and asking the club to help polish our halos. The problem now runs much deeper than that and the club, as well as its fans, is now on the verge of being permanently tainted by the skewed reporting of certain sections of the press. I think we'd all benefit from a simple statement setting the record straight, in the short and long term.

peterboroughtfcfan
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
I appreciate the letter but to play devil's advocate I think we need to consider something right now. The media storm about Columbus has passed (for the most part). If the club were to release a statement at this point it would only serve to give Bill Archer something else to write about. I agree that if the SGs continue to get slandered for the actions of others that the club should come out and say something, but making a statement at this point will not help anybody.

GingerNinja
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I appreciate the letter but to play devil's advocate I think we need to consider something right now. The media storm about Columbus has passed (for the most part). If the club were to release a statement at this point it would only serve to give Bill Archer something else to write about. I agree that if the SGs continue to get slandered for the actions of others that the club should come out and say something, but making a statement at this point will not help anybody.

I don't think it has passed.
I just read an article that was on the front page of the Post's Sports Section, that was mostly about the trouble at the Blue Jays game opening night, but TFC Hooligans were mentioned right up front, asking what is happenning to Toronto Sports fans. Columbus and whatever mysterious hooligan behaviour from the Sounders game that this reporter supposedly saw is starting to become a constant black cloud over our heads.

peterboroughtfcfan
04-08-2009, 11:06 AM
I just read an article that was on the front page of the Post's Sports Section, that was mostly about the trouble at the Blue Jays game opening night, but TFC Hooligans were mentioned right up front, asking what is happenning to Toronto Sports fans. Columbus and whatever mysterious hooligan behaviour from the Sounders game that this reporter supposedly saw is starting to become a constant black cloud over our heads.

They are just writing about this because the Leafs and Raptors suck. At this point in time we're the only sports story in town. Once the Reds destroy Kenny Cooper this weekend I can pretty much guarantee we'll go back to being the media darlings of the city.

Parkdale
04-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I appreciate the letter but to play devil's advocate I think we need to consider something right now. The media storm about Columbus has passed (for the most part). If the club were to release a statement at this point it....

I think the concern is that no statement came out when the heat was really on. Now that cooler heads are prevailing, it would be a great time to follow up. So far, there's been no 'official stance' taken by the team (at least not one we can find)

BFin
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
great letter.

romburgundy
04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
A good starting point and great letter! Does anyone know if the club was asked to comment? because thats key. Our club should have a good enough relationship with the press to be given a heads up and a chance to comment on this type of article.

FluSH
04-08-2009, 11:12 AM

It is the old coalition of anti-soccer Media vs Michelle Lissell... I don't think she has a chance. No offense, but this is way out of her league.

Lucky Strike
04-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Very good, but the opening states that TFC fans have been labeled "as `hooligans` and being part of a `firm`" but one of the groups mentioned in the header is called The Firm 116.

Shaughno
04-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Michelle - please also be aware that a number of people have posted on here (including me) to the effect that work colleagues and friends have asked us whether it is safe to take their children to TFC games now. This is extremely damaging to the club as it threatens future generations of fans and therefore revenue streams. It literally adds injury to insult.

I do not feel that I should have to defend myself or my fellow TFC fans at work to people who have been misinformed by the press to such a degree that they look at me with raised eyebrows now when talking about the BMO Field experience. These are the same people who were clamouring for tickets in season 1 and 2 because they'd heard so many positive things about it.

This is not just supporters feeling sorry for themselves and asking the club to help polish our halos. The problem now runs much deeper than that and the club, as well as its fans, is now on the verge of being permanently tainted by the skewed reporting of certain sections of the press. I think we'd all benefit from a simple statement setting the record straight, in the short and long term.

Exactly. I've had people from co-workers to my grandparents all ask if I was involved in the 'hooliganism' of the Toronto FC fans. It damages not only the supporters reputation, but the team's as a whole. The direct quote from my Gran was, "Hopefully you lot don't go through the same crap that the English game did for so many years, tarnishing the reputation of many based on the actions of a few drunkards"

Shaughno
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
It is the old coalition of anti-soccer Media vs Michelle Lissell... I don't think she has a chance. No offense, but this is way out of her league.

If she never decides to open her mouth and take a stance, she literally has no chance. It's bad for the team in general, in the long run, and it's her job to handle the media relations for anything pertaining to TFC. So far, IMO she has done JACK SQUAT.

James Oliphant
04-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Has this been sent to Michelle?

Edit: Disregard. I see on the USector boards that you did sent it to her. Well done. Gonna post this on GoTFC as well.

FluSH
04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
If she never decides to open her mouth and take a stance, she literally has no chance. It's bad for the team in general, in the long run, and it's her job to handle the media relations for anything pertaining to TFC. So far, IMO she has done JACK SQUAT.

An action plan has to be made. I believe Jack was meeting with some people today. As an entire group we need to initiate a plan. This anti-soccer coallition is attacking our very own support. If we protested about the CSA last year and God knows what else... we can implement a well thought-out protest against this coalition of old farts who don't want to see soccer flourish in Canada. I repeat - in Canada. Writting about the Euros or the WC just to play on your audiance does not qualify.

bgnewf
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Just to confirm, this letter has actually been submitted, not just posted online, right?

correct

FluSH
04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I wish I could attend this weekend's game... I would've made a poster contrasting the differance in stance of the Chilean media/government and that of our anti-soccer Canadian Media (in relation to the tazering event).

peterboroughtfcfan
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I think the concern is that no statement came out when the heat was really on. Now that cooler heads are prevailing, it would be a great time to follow up. So far, there's been no 'official stance' taken by the team (at least not one we can find)

I agree completely that the club dropped the ball by not making an official statement off the top. They should have and it might have made a difference. My point is that if they make one now its only going to add fuel to the fire. I just want this thing to die so people can focus on the fact that the best Canadian soccer players is playing in his home down again. If more of this media crap gets picked up, the club should be all over it. The club should also be doing a better job promoting the good stuff that the SGs are doing. I haven't heard a damn thing about the food drive participation of the RPB - this is the image they need to be putting out there on our behalf. Should we also be doing our own press releases about these activities?

FluSH
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
FYI: The man that got tasered will more than likely have his charges dismissed... (this is what I heard from a close source to him at last weekends game)

I hope he sues.

Eastend
04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
There is another thread about this weeks Kick About article....very good read.....2 links...

RPB thread: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=460390#post460390

Kick About link: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/fans/blogs/kick_about/

BFin
04-08-2009, 11:32 AM
How can you be in charge of PR if you don't do any?

Parkdale
04-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Should we also be doing our own press releases about these activities?

there's very little need for that level of PR from our group.

The deeds have to stand for themselves, and I think they do.

And also, we're not trying to stand out from (or above) other supporters
because of the work we do. We're just giving back because we have the
numbers to do so effectively. We're not doing it to get brownie points.

JonO
04-08-2009, 11:37 AM
^^^ But I would do it for brownies... cookies or the girl scout variety...

Naturegirl
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
It's been my observation that Michelle has never been a supporter of the supporters.

I think it would be wise for TFC to get another media relations person who cares about more than just the players. She wasn't very nice to one of our own who got a media pass from KC at the season opener.

peterboroughtfcfan
04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
there's very little need for that level of PR from our group.

The deeds have to stand for themselves, and I think they do.

And also, we're not trying to stand out from (or above) other supporters
because of the work we do. We're just giving back because we have the
numbers to do so effectively. We're not doing it to get brownie points.

I'm not suggesting the SGs look for Brownie points, but given the recent media shit storm wouldn't it be nice to have the flip side of the fans activities? Maybe you are right and the RPB don't have to promote this but I'd think that the club would be ALL over this after the bad press they've gotten recently.

Hitcho
04-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah that's true, it's always been Paul leading the effort with the fans. I just don't think ML gets it - maybe she views the club as her employer and doesn't understand the innate connection between the fans and the club's success.

Still, let's at least give her the chance to respond to the letter and see if she can work things out going forward. The club is still young and they've done a good PR job in other areas - let's not forget all the invites fans have had to player signings etc.

Pigfynn
04-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Paul's going to wade in here any minute if everyone keeps picking on Michelle.
I am not of course saying she shouldn't be called on about this.

Lucky Strike
04-08-2009, 11:59 AM

Agreed. In fact, I didn't even know who this was until today. I have never heard anything from her. Maybe it's a by-product of me living in Ottawa but come on, it's not 1904.

tfcleeds
04-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Maybe Michelle should go back to Fox Soccer Channel as she doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of PR since this storm of negative press since Columbus...

James Oliphant
04-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Yeah that's true, it's always been Paul leading the effort with the fans. I just don't think ML gets it - maybe she views the club as her employer and doesn't understand the innate connection between the fans and the club's success.

Still, let's at least give her the chance to respond to the letter and see if she can work things out going forward. The club is still young and they've done a good PR job in other areas - let's not forget all the invites fans have had to player signings etc.

That's less to do with PR and more to do with promotions....there's a whole separate staff for that I would imagine. Though Michelle is typically responsible for player handling at such events.

manic.street.preacher
04-08-2009, 12:12 PM
It's been my observation that Michelle has never been a supporter of the supporters.

I think it would be wise for TFC to get another media relations person who cares about more than just the players. She wasn't very nice to one of our own who got a media pass from KC at the season opener.

agree 100% ... especially when the supporters a huge part of what makes TFC so unique, it wouldn't be wise to alienate them as she has

Parkdale
04-08-2009, 12:37 PM
:topic:

again, this isn't about Michelle's involvement with the supporters groups.
this is about Toronto FC putting out a statement in defense of their supporters.
Let's keep it on topic, as it is a very important issue.

bgnewf
04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
:topic:

again, this isn't about Michelle's involvement with the supporters groups.
this is about Toronto FC putting out a statement in defense of their supporters.
Let's keep it on topic, as it is a very important issue.

Thanks Mikey! I wrote this not to disrespect her personally, but to address what I feel is a less then solid response from the department in the front office that is supposed to address these sorts of things.

PS. I need my DVD!!!

Suds
04-08-2009, 12:46 PM
That's less to do with PR and more to do with promotions....there's a whole separate staff for that I would imagine. Though Michelle is typically responsible for player handling at such events.

If it is true that her position is to deal with player and club promotions, are we sure it is here role to make a statement to the media regarding the supporters groups?

Just curious if someone does know her role at MLSE covers this for sure.

Jack
04-08-2009, 12:53 PM
There's something on the front page of TFC's website today in support of the supporters
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/fans/blogs/kick_about/

Rudi
04-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I haven't heard a damn thing about the food drive participation of the RPB - this is the image they need to be putting out there on our behalf. Should we also be doing our own press releases about these activities?
I know Parkdale (sort of) responded to this, but the food drive was thought of and is being spearheaded by a guy who has been U-Sector since the Lynx days. Putting out a press release highlighting RPB's involvement would be disingenuous, and pretty much against the point of the drive to begin with.

I would hope no one is thinking about doing any sort of release, on behalf of any or all supporters groups. It smacks of "look at how awesome we are" syndrome, at a time when doing so would look very fake and reek of simply trying to repair our collective image.

Let the food drive stand on its own merits, without fanfare.

If someone in the media wants to mention it, that's fine. But there is no need to call attention to ourselves.

Nomad
04-08-2009, 12:55 PM
I've never met a Newf I didn't like .....

Hmmm, i don't think we have met......

:cool: :D

Hitcho
04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks Mikey! I wrote this not to disrespect her personally, but to address what I feel is a less then solid response from the department in the front office that is supposed to address these sorts of things.

PS. I need my DVD!!!

I don't think it really matters whose desk at TFC this falls on. Anything that comes out will be in the name of the club. The letter could just as easily have gone to Paul or even Mo. It's going to take some senior level invovlement if anything is going to be released, it certainly won't be Michelle acting on her own. So there really shouldn't be any personal impact on Michelle. She's as much an inbox to send the letter to and get the ball rolling as anythign else in this instance.

mlsintoronto - we wait with bated breath... :D

peterboroughtfcfan
04-08-2009, 01:22 PM
I know Parkdale (sort of) responded to this, but the food drive was thought of and is being spearheaded by a guy who has been U-Sector since the Lynx days. Putting out a press release highlighting RPB's involvement would be disingenuous, and pretty much against the point of the drive to begin with.

I would hope no one is thinking about doing any sort of release, on behalf of any or all supporters groups. It smacks of "look at how awesome we are" syndrome, at a time when doing so would look very fake and reek of simply trying to repair our collective image.

If someone in the media wants to mention it, that's fine. But there is no need to call attention to ourselves.

I'm not planning anything if that's what you are getting at. Things like that are for SG leadership and I trust you know what you are doing.It just bothers me that these groups do so much and then one or two idiots unrelated to them get blasted and tazered and all of a sudden we're a bunch of hooligans.

James Oliphant
04-08-2009, 01:32 PM

100% agreement from me.

James Oliphant
04-08-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm not planning anything if that's what you are getting at. Things like that are for SG leadership and I trust you know what you are doing.It just bothers me that these groups do so much and then one or two idiots unrelated to them get blasted and tazered and all of a sudden we're a bunch of hooligans.

It sucks, for sure, but the best course of action with regards to events like these is not to publicize them. Let's just quietly go about our various community involvement efforts without the grandstanding. We all know what we're like, and in time so will others. Any kind of release at this point will appear defensive and reactionary.