PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Wednesday , Apr.08

denime
04-08-2009, 05:32 AM
No TFC news for now,if you find some post it there.

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

MG42
04-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Not your average pro

FC 'keeper Sutton isn't tempted by the overseas money; his priority begins and ends with family

Greg Sutton balked at Germany and he never has made it to England's premier league. Instead he found a wife, their seven-month old daughter, Maya, and a home in Major League Soccer.
In life, this is what is called a fair trade.
"If you had asked me 10 years ago where I would end up I'm not sure what I would have said -- probably not Toronto," says Sutton, who has taken a twisted path to find happiness.
"Sometimes I do think about what might have happened if I'd signed in Germany. I think everyone wonders how life would be if they'd done certain things. But I have no regrets. If I had done that who knows if I would have met my wife. Would I still have my wonderful baby daughter? Some guys are always trying to go overseas because of the monetary values. For me, that's never been a persuasive argument. I was comfortable here," says Sutton, who has hung up his shingle in Chicago, Montreal and Toronto.

READ MORE
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/bill_lankhof/2009/04/08/9048131-sun.html

Shaughno
04-08-2009, 07:28 AM
READ MORE
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/bill_lankhof/2009/04/08/9048131-sun.html

OMG WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! Sutton is a traitor like JDG and Hargreaves?!?!?!? Whatever shall I do?

He grew up more American than Canuck. It wasn't until he got to college that his coach Mike Toshack informed him he was eligible for Canada's national program even though he'd grown up in Bethel, Connecticut.

Oh... right, it's ok, because he plays for Canada and not the other way around. :rolleyes:

Technorgasm
04-08-2009, 07:30 AM
So no Tuesday speculation About Dallas ??

Shame still the stocks are open and I am sure the media will find someone to lock in and flog.

Game 4 bitches. Bring your voices!!!

Oldtimer
04-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Maurice Edu has told Rangers he's eager to step into the boots of bad boy Barry Ferguson.
The American midfielder insists he's now ready to shine as he prepares to start tonight's SPL crunch clash at St Mirren. Edu, 22, has started just five games for the Light Blues since his £2.5million transfer from FC Toronto in August.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/catch-all/2009/04/08/mo-i-m-the-man-to-fill-barry-s-boots-86908-21262585/

scooter
04-08-2009, 07:46 AM
mornin all

bangersandmash
04-08-2009, 07:54 AM
From "24" (the subway paper, not the Jack Bauer Power Hour)

TFC regressing, not progressing

Three games into the season, and there is no figuring out Toronto FC.
The team was dominant in its opening win over Kansas City. But the Wizards, at least at the moment, are a bad team— not a solid measuring stick at all. Then, the Reds got a draw in Columbus against the league champs. But consider that tie came only when Crew defender Gino Padula scored on his own goal. Then, in game three, against the undefeated Seattle Sounders FC, TFC was totally dominated, and coach John Carver was thoroughly disgusted.
There’s an uncomfortable pattern here. The team, instead of getting better each and every game, is getting worse.
And that needs to improve when it faces FC Dallas at home this weekend. The Hoops are off to a miserable 0-3 start, and TFC needs to stop their slide.
After Saturday’s loss, Carver admitted there wasn’t one player amongst his 11 starters or substitutes who deserved praise. Not one. So, will there be changes this weekend?
“I haven’t got that many players, have I?” Carver said, making reference that the new smaller roster sizes imposed by the league this season make it harder to make wholesale changes to a starting 11.
“I can only give them so many chances, so many opportunities.”
So, since Carver can’t change the whole side, he has to pick his spots. Two likely candidates for withdrawal: midfielder Rohan Ricketts and striker Chad Barrett. Ricketts has been a liability on the wing for three straight games, giving the ball away cheaply time after time. And Barrett, after finally getting the chance to be the top striker on an MLS side, is spurning the opportunity. His touch has been heavy, and chances have gone wanting. Even in the win over Kansas City, Barrett was ineffective close to goal.
Despite the team’s so-so 1-1-1 record, the strikers have yet to score. And that’s a sign that it’s soon time to shake things up,
Carver has continually deflected the hoopla and hype that’s been around TFC since the club signed midfielder DwayneDe Rosario. He still won’t say that this is a playoff team. This week, as TFC prepares to redeem itself at home, he’s talking about baby steps, not post-season aspirations.
“There’s still an awful lot of work to be done.”
Funny, over in Seattle, which has nine points in three games, there’s no talk of baby steps.
“At the start of the season we said that the goal for this team was to make the playoffs,” said coach Sigi Schmid. “And that hasn’t changed.”

bgnewf
04-08-2009, 08:03 AM
When good fans go bad

Jays, TFC supporters
Joe O'Connor, National Post

On Saturday afternoon, at BMO Field, the projectiles of choice were plastic beer cups and red paper streamers. They flew from within a seething mass of Toronto FC supporters toward the Seattle Sounders players. Two days later it was a different sport, a different venue and different objects. Two baseballs, a golf ball and paper airlines were sent to the turf during the Toronto Blue Jays' home opener against the Detroit Tigers at Rogers Centre.
"I've never had anything thrown at me before," Tigers left fielder Josh Anderson said after the Jays' 12-5 win in a game that featured a nine-minute delay when the Tigers left the field and the umpires tried to restore order. "I understand that sometimes at a ball game people can get out of control. But to be throwing a baseball at somebody, well, what's the intention there?"
Fans in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have been known to hurl batteries at opposing players. In Cleveland, a Browns crowd angered by a call during an NFL game in 2001 littered the field with plastic beer bottles, chasing the players to the locker rooms. Golf balls were tossed at the Expos' final game in Montreal, and Canadiens fans rioted when Maurice Richard was suspended for attacking an official in 1955.
In Toronto, order has usually prevailed. But the recent behaviour of baseball and soccer fans begs the question, has Toronto the Good gone bad?
"Well, I don't think so," said Paul Beeston, the Jays interim president and CEO. "You have 48-49,000 people in the stadium, and you have a few that were maybe a little over-served -- and I am not sure of that --but their behaviour sullies what was normally a well-behaved crowd. You don't see that sort of thing at the Leafs, or at the Raptors."
Unruly stadium crowds have been around as long stadiums. The most famous arena of all is the Roman Coliseum. The Roman Emperor of the day often sponsored the gladiator games, and was expected to be in attendance to watch the show.
"The people would use these occasions to express their view on how things were going," says Christer Bruun, a classics professor at the University of Toronto. "When you have 50,000 people -- or even more -- the Imperial Guard just couldn't do very much about it if, from somewhere up in the stands, there rolled up a chant of, 'Where is our bread.'"
The grand sporting spectacles of ancient Rome, with their political undertones, featured fights to the death between a gladiator and a lion, tiger, bear or another gladiator. The blood sport has given way to an American national pastime where the participants are paid handsomely, and the ticket-buying people chant for their heroes, boo the bad guys and occasionally have too much to drink.
On a long ago Opening Day at Exhibition Stadium, a drunken fan in the left-field bleachers fired an empty beer bottle onto the turf. It came to rest near Toronto slugger George Bell.
The newspaper accounts of the game mentioned the bottle toss at Bell, who had been feuding with Toronto management throughout the spring over the club's desire to move its weak-armed left-fielder into the designated hitter's role.
But while security converged in the stands, Bell had never been the target. I know this because I know the guilty party. He is still a baseball fan, a father, a teacher, and a homeopathic healer. "I wasn't throwing the bottle at Bell," the guilty party said yesterday. "I was just being a drunken yahoo."
And 20 years later, there are still drunken yahoos on Opening Day, tarnishing Toronto's reputation as the polite sports town.
"I would like to think we won't have any more examples of what happened on Monday again this year," Beeston said. "We are not a city -- and I don't want to pick on Philadelphia-- but we are not a city where they boo Santa Claus."

http://http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1475482

Gotta love it when the Post talks up the "unruly" Jays and TFC fans but only goes to the Jays for comment.

It is exactly crap like this that builds upon from the irresponsible "journalism" of people like Cathal Kelley and Gareth Wheeler. After a while the "hooligan" moniker is just simply going to be believed as a simple fact by the populace because they are hearing it so often. No matter that it is wrong. If people hear the "big lie" enough they end up believing it.

Oldtimer
04-08-2009, 08:21 AM
red paper streamers? OH NO!!!! :lol:

TFCREDNWHITE
04-08-2009, 08:37 AM
9:30AM This Morning...

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - April 7, 2009) - Eugene Melnyk, owner of Senators Sports & Entertainment, will hold a media availability on Wednesday, April 8, at 9:30 a.m. at Scotiabank Place in the Club 101 room. In the first part of the media opportunity, Melnyk will be joined by the hockey club's general manager, Bryan Murray, to review the 2008-09 National Hockey League season and to discuss the outlook for 2009-10. Cyril Leeder, chief operating officer for Senators Sports & Entertainment, will then join Melnyk to discuss issues surrounding the proposals for a stadium, adjacent to Scotiabank Place, and a Major League Soccer expansion franchise. Media are asked to enter Scotiabank Place thru Gate 3, as usual, and will be directed to Club 101 behind the Senators home goal.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/04/expansion-ottawa-mlss-eugene-melnyk-to.html

Don Julio
04-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Jesus, guys, there's nothing wrong with that article. If you're really that concerned about your image to the public maybe you should go into politics or PR. If you took a few seconds you could probably figure out why there's Jays quotes in there and no TFC quotes.

Roogsy
04-08-2009, 08:49 AM
OMG WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! Sutton is a traitor like JDG and Hargreaves?!?!?!? Whatever shall I do?

Oh... right, it's ok, because he plays for Canada and not the other way around. :rolleyes:

Do you really want to start up that argument?

Roogsy
04-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Jesus, guys, there's nothing wrong with that article. If you're really that concerned about your image to the public maybe you should go into politics or PR. If you took a few seconds you could probably figure out why there's Jays quotes in there and no TFC quotes.

At the very least he doesn't use TFC fans alone but rather in a group of examples that points to more unruly fan behaviour finding it's way into stadiums everywhere.

At least that is fair. Nobody is saying stuff doesn't happen at BMO. My biggest problem with Wheeler and Kelly was that they made it sound like a) it was TFC specific b) didn't call out other fans in other sports c) the articles were factually incorrect in several aspects and d) they were inflammatory and exaggerated, probably because neither douchebags were at Columbus or sit in the south stands.

This one at least doesn't attempt to chastise or blame TFC fans but rather is talking in general terms. I have no problems with that.

Oldtimer
04-08-2009, 09:03 AM
This one at least doesn't attempt to chastise or blame TFC fans but rather is talking in general terms. I have no problems with that.

Also, he puts it into the context of broader sports crowd problems rather than claiming that the RPB and U-Sector are hooligan "firms."

Lucky Strike
04-08-2009, 09:04 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/catch-all/2009/04/08/mo-i-m-the-man-to-fill-barry-s-boots-86908-21262585/

What is it about European papers that always get TFC's name wrong? It's almost like they're doing it on purpose or something as a backhanded way of showing contempt for MLS.

BFin
04-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Does the SSG look suspiciously like Zach Morris with longer hair to anyone else?

Roogsy
04-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Also, he puts it into the context of broader sports crowd problems rather than claiming that the RPB and U-Sector are hooligan "firms."

The whole "firm" thing was probably one of the most annoying factors. The very fact that they used this term to describe Toronto supporters shows they don't know what they are talking about.

alexintoronto
04-08-2009, 09:12 AM

Did you stop reading after that?

"The story starts in Hamilton where he was born..."

Next time you make me agree with Roogsy I'm throwing a beer at you.

Roogsy
04-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Hooligan!

Pigfynn
04-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Toronto Star prints correction:

http://www.thestar.com/Corrections/article/615421

rocktml
04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm going to saturdays game so i want lots of noise!!!

S_D
04-08-2009, 10:05 AM

While it is good that the Star has recognized that their idiot reporter said this, lets see an article in the sports section that includes this correction so that the general public gets to read it.

Corrections are usually buried and missed by the majority of readers.

Technorgasm
04-08-2009, 10:10 AM
FC DALLAS HAVE NO POINTS!!

HELLO!!!!!

NONE! ZERO! ZIP!

Can TFC Toast these minnows of MLS?

seriously, if thehy get anything from BMO field. . . .

POW right in the kisser!

Darlofletch
04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
The whole "firm" thing was probably one of the most annoying factors. The very fact that they used this term to describe Toronto supporters shows they don't know what they are talking about.

I think the fact that one of our SG's calls themselves "the Firm" and has a big banner saying that might have something to do with it.

If they start comparing us to moped throwing Italian style Ultras, then we'll know where that came from as well.

TFC_Chris
04-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Here is what's been written by The Kick About (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/fans/blogs/kick_about/)

April
8 Undeserved Scrutiny

After surviving the 70km/h biting winds off Lake Ontario and a heavy heart from the 2-0 defeat at the home opener, Sunday morning was going to prove difficult enough to crawl out of bed. But then to be greeted with the shocking discovery in one local daily, penned by the city's most famous doom merchant, that the club I love was on the cusp of a "ticking time bomb" was enough to go back under the covers. Not out of fear, I mind you, but rather from the overambitious absurdity of how an individual can turn an inch into a mile despite the absence of substance.

Several times I have written on the traditional media's ignorance of soccer, particularly because it is not considered "big" by the commercial standards of North America - which themselves are now in question. But suddenly soccer had become the focus for this local sports coroner not because he saw the positive start to Toronto's third season with 4 points on the road before coming home. But he was out patrolling the grounds hoping to find villains and catch them in the act of "hooliganism" to garner headlines.
Toronto FC and its recognized supporters' groups strongly condemn acts of violence no matter what the fashionable term to describe such despicable acts may be. But to insist that there is something akin to "hooliganism" in Toronto is dishonest. Most lifelong football supporters in this city know the horrific costs of such shameful behaviour from all corners of the globe. The very few who are not aware and try to persuade others to act a certain way, are more often than not pinched by the ear and made to listen to reason by their own associates. The amount of self-policing that goes on within these groups often gets ignored while isolated incidents (often not involving group members) become glorified.

In his stroll of BMO Field the doom merchant found banners targeting the visiting club which he found "obscene" and "abusive." Apparently he is used to home confines where local sports fans roll out signs that say "welcome" and "hope you have a lovely day" aimed at visiting personnel. Apparently supporters toiling over home made signs that are paid out of pocket - with no encouragement from TFC - is not a sign of support, but rather it is gateway "hooliganism" and supposedly a point of journalistic interest. Next time your child picks up a bristol board and a marker, watch him closely. He is trouble.

Another jab at our club came in an off hand ethnocentric fashion which is remarkable for a writer who shrouds himself in the cloak of political correctness. As someone who works closely with our season seat holders, I know perfectly well that many of our supporters are of European origin, if not first generation Canadian and a vast number of them tend to be from the British Isles. So the doom merchant's mention of "wannabe" Brits through the cover of a police officer was disingenuous. If he did speak to any of our supporters he might find some actually are British which would reveal the falsehood in his premise that Toronto supporters are pretending to be something they are not.

These have been dark times in Toronto. Every sports team in our city (irrespective of ownership group) has been tanking for about two seasons. A bit like global finance, nobody is quite sure if we've hit the bottom yet but we know there will be a recovery though the time frame for this remains vague.

At a smaller level it reminds me of the great Northeast Blackout of 2003. As the sun drew further to the west, we all knew it was going to get dark and although we didn't know how long the darkness would last, we were sure it would eventually pass. In that moment Torontonians peeled off the layers of stiffness that plagues our city and converged on lawns, pubs and streets, usually beverage in hand, huddled together to ride out the inevitable.

But no such solidarity exists in the Toronto sports scene. Sports journalists who have never had to consider that there is an entire world outside of the American sphere, seem threatened by the very idea of learning something new. They don't want to have to understand this foreign element and for them it's much easier when the jumbotron tells the fans when they are supposed to clap, and everything else should be hot dogs and pop corn. So instead of learning about soccer, they focus on "hooliganism" where there isn't any and in doing so push 20,000 people into a stereotype they don't even fully understand.

Football fans understand hooliganism. They know about the ugliness of sectarian violence, bloody clashes between thugs outside the stadium who have nothing to do with the game, and rampaging hordes of mobs who have used football as an excuse to cause death and destruction when their cause was politically motivated. Toronto has none of those things. The story on Sunday wasn't about hooliganism. It may as well have been called "Man drinks alcohol, shouts loudly." Maybe the next great exposé could be about people talking in a library when the sign explicitly says "no talking" or about a stray cat trampling on a local garden. That's about as serious hooliganism is in this city.

There are a lot of people on all sides - club, stadium staff and supporters - working hard to make sure that violent fan behaviour remains a non starter at TFC matches. In other words, nothing is "ticking." Much worse things have happened this week in other sports venues in Toronto that actually caused a long stoppage in play. There hasn't been a single incident in 37 Toronto FC matches at BMO Field since 2007 that is unique to itself and unseen at any other sports venue in our city. It just so happens that people have a better time in our house.

TFC Cityboy
04-08-2009, 10:31 AM
While it is good that the Star has recognized that their idiot reporter said this, lets see an article in the sports section that includes this correction so that the general public gets to read it.

right...I'm sure the correction is not above the fold on page A1.

Blizzard
04-08-2009, 10:33 AM
What is it about European papers that always get TFC's name wrong? It's almost like they're doing it on purpose or something as a backhanded way of showing contempt for MLS.

It's not contempt. They just don't know. I'll take FC Toronto over "FC" as certain talking heads on The Fan continue to utilize.

MUFC_Niagara
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM

The ironic part is that they are talking about the KKKrew incident. But can you imagine how stupid they'd look it they printed it was the Crew fans who racially abused a player?!

Chewy Unikronik
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Meh... MLS can't even get it right on the cover of their own publications!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4ufCuBQuXkM/Rp-TGAJegvI/AAAAAAAABE0/50v8T1ASE60/s400/mls1.jpg

BFin
04-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Meh... MLS can't even get it right on the cover of their own publications!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4ufCuBQuXkM/Rp-TGAJegvI/AAAAAAAABE0/50v8T1ASE60/s400/mls1.jpg
Someone should change that WIN sticker to Epic Fail.

Pigfynn
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Here is one of the best things written about the media's understanding (or lack there of) of the TFC experience from the Kick About article:

"They don't want to have to understand this foreign element and for them it's much easier when the jumbotron tells the fans when they are supposed to clap, and everything else should be hot dogs and pop corn. So instead of learning about soccer, they focus on "hooliganism" where there isn't any and in doing so push 20,000 people into a stereotype they don't even fully understand. "

A- fucking -men

Chevy
04-08-2009, 12:13 PM

Very true. I'm assuming that editors don't like to post corrections, since it shows that they ultimately screwed up. What the correction does however, is

1. Let the supporters know that they ARE heard when they raise an issue with the media

2. Hopefully put Cathal's bosses on notice - maybe they will pay a little more attention to his crap before its published.