PDA

View Full Version : Christian Vieri Trials with the Galaxy?!?!?!

David_Oliveira
04-07-2009, 09:42 AM
according to www.record.pt,

Christian Vieri, ex-avançado do Inter, AC Milan, Juventus e Atalanta, voou até Los Angeles para realizar testes nos LA Galaxy.
Christian Vieri, ex-striker with Inter, AC Milan, Juventus and Atalanta, flew to Los Angeles to trial with the LA Galaxy.

Vieri e a Atalanta acordaram mutuamente terminar o seu contrato após uma temporada com poucos minutos passados no terreno de jogo e o avançado italiano tenta agora a sua sorte na MLS.
Vieri and Atalanta have mutually agreed to terminate his contract after a year and few playing minutes. The Italian striker will now try his luck in the MLS.

A revista Chi afirma que o estilo de vida e o glamour encontrados em Los Angeles apelam ao jogador que persiste em provar que ainda consegue ser uma mais valia para o mundo do futebol.
Chi magazine says that the lifestyle and glamour of Los Angeles apeal to the player who persists on wanting to prove he still has it in football.

David_Oliveira
04-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Here is an English article:
http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2009/04/07/1196530/christian-vieri-jets-off-to-los-angeles-for-galaxy-trial-report

TFC FORZA RPB
04-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I can't see LA signing him as they already have a DP Beckham, and i doubt he would be willing to play for roughly 300g's a season.

But interesting.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-07-2009, 09:55 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

DVS
04-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Vieri got canned from Atalanta. I have no clue how the guy played for so many teams in his career with teams giving him a chance time after time.

I suppose he could be an upgraded Dichio if he comes to MLS

TFCREDNWHITE
04-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Fuck it, sign him...we need more players that "know" how to play football!!

I'm sick of this lack of quality...i say bring'em in....

Shaughno
04-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I can't see LA signing him as they already have a DP Beckham, and i doubt he would be willing to play for roughly 300g's a season.

But interesting.

and another DP in Donovan. They would need a 3rd DP slot.

MG42
04-07-2009, 10:03 AM
don't worry, if MLS wants him in LA, they find a way to do it...he'll use Beckhams "vacancy games" or something :lol:

Yohan
04-07-2009, 10:03 AM
He's 35, turning 36 in July...

Not the best of output in goals last few seasons.

TFC Tifoso
04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
according to www.record.pt (http://www.record.pt),

Christian Vieri, ex-striker with Inter, AC Milan, Juventus and Atalanta, flew to Los Angeles to trial with the LA Galaxy.

Vieri and Atalanta have mutually agreed to terminate his contract after a year and few playing minutes. The Italian striker will now try his luck in the MLS.

Chi magazine says that the lifestyle and glamour of Los Angeles apeal to the player who persists on wanting to prove he still has it in football.

Sounds to me like Bobo wants to chill in the LA sun for a few months......this guy has had serious attitude problems in the past, and a move for him to MLS will be a paycheck collection.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-07-2009, 10:10 AM
im sure if they sign him they will sell Beckham just in time

DVS
04-07-2009, 10:20 AM

Vieri has hardly played this past season. Atalanta had him on a "get paid as you score" type contract and decided to bench him.

Well needless to say he asked out of the deal.

Pachuco
04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Well, Vieri is still probably better then most strikers in the MLS at his age.

C.Ronaldo
04-07-2009, 10:39 AM
playing for 300k is better than playing for zero

plus he gets to "back back to cali cali"

SuperTCP
04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
I read the same here: http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Primo_Piano/2009/04/07/vieri.shtml

Would be cool to see him play - also will give MLS more recognition overseas.

s2cazz
04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't know what I would do if he scored a goal against Toronto... I'd probably cry... He's the reason I started watching football when I was a kid... I Idolized him... maybe he could be a DP for Toronto?

LCB
04-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Man, as much as I love the guy for WC2002, he can barely keep his knees in shape on fine Italian grass! How's he going to keep it together in the MLS?

From what I read he's frequently in Miami for vacations, and English is his first language being from Australia, I mean, if there were some guarantee that he'd play even half the season he might be a worthwhile investment.

s2cazz
04-07-2009, 01:25 PM
He does have 6 goals last year and 2 this year in Serie A... I think he would be a worthwhile investment... but I don't think I could boo him tho...or stomach the boos of my fellow supporters....

rocker
04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
umm... i don`t think the galaxy`s biggest need is a striker...

Jack
04-07-2009, 02:50 PM
This guy was one of the best strikers in the world.

I'm sure he's still got what it takes to score in this league. If the interest is still there, of course.

Boris
04-07-2009, 02:58 PM
this is good for LA.
i think this guy still has something in him especially in this league.

if they can pull this off good on them

Bobo
04-07-2009, 03:11 PM
I don't know what I would do if he scored a goal against Toronto... I'd probably cry... He's the reason I started watching football when I was a kid... I Idolized him... maybe he could be a DP for Toronto?

LOL same here bud (hence the username). I'd LOVE to see him play live, regardless of where he is. Admittedly, maybe it would be sort of cool to see him score in a 5-1 loss.:hide:

I always knew Bobo would want to try MLS, with LA and New York (and maybe Toronto?) being his first options. He loves spending time in the States and he loves his $$.

He was one of the most dominating strikers of his time but injuries have demolished his career.

To say seeing Bobo in red would be a dream is an understatement but we'd need wingers who can actually play. We wouldn't be so pitiful on set plays into the box anymore, that's for sure. Doubt it would happen but you can't say we don't have the money.

One year contract, do it up ML$E!

Pryu
04-07-2009, 03:12 PM
sign em up. see what he's got left. how many players in the mls can say that he played in the world cup or the azuri. he should come to toronto. all the italians would go bonkers.

s2cazz
04-07-2009, 03:18 PM
I know i would!!!!!!

s2cazz
04-07-2009, 03:19 PM
I think that Italians in the crowd at BMO or atleast the games I have been to is really a minority. This would really bring the Italian fans in thats for sure!

trane
04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
I love the way he plays, but injury on all these crap pitches is a real concern. If I was him I would not come over.

Inklink
04-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Can he play defense?

:D

s2cazz
04-07-2009, 03:46 PM
iWvIbNkBCWg

jloome
04-07-2009, 04:10 PM
This guy was one of the best strikers in the world.

I'm sure he's still got what it takes to score in this league. If the interest is still there, of course.

All the skill in the world won't help you if you're old and slow, with crocked joints. And relative to the guys he'd be playing against, Vieri would be very old, and very slow.

This would be a bad move for any MLS team, unless they have tons of space to create for him and tons of service to offer. I'm sure he can finish sitters just fine, but he's not going to create anything and his record has been poor for years now.

s2cazz
04-07-2009, 04:14 PM
All the skill in the world won't help you if you're old and slow, with crocked joints. And relative to the guys he'd be playing against, Vieri would be very old, and very slow.

This would be a bad move for any MLS team, unless they have tons of space to create for him and tons of service to offer. I'm sure he can finish sitters just fine, but he's not going to create anything and his record has been poor for years now.
If he scored 6 goals last season in Serie A I'm sure he could do the same in MLS if not more

rocker
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
story is false, says Arena

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/04/galaxy_is_not_vieri_interested.html?wprss=soccerin sider

giambac
04-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Fuck it, sign him...we need more players that "know" how to play football!!

I'm sick of this lack of quality...i say bring'em in....

Agreed.

Dichio couldn't even carry his jock strap.

Vieri would instantly be the best player on this club.

giambac
04-07-2009, 06:15 PM

He'd be coming from perhaps the best league in the world to a junior league here. He would destroy this league. Sign the guy.

SanStarko
04-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Saw Vieri play against Rangers last season in the UEFA cup and he was awful.

You don't sign a player because of his name or what he did in the past. You sign a player because of what he can bring to the team now. And nowadays Vieri wouldn't be bringing very much.

Jack
04-07-2009, 06:45 PM
He'd be coming from perhaps the best league in the world to a junior league here. He would destroy this league. Sign the guy.
Still, when there's no gas left in the tank, there's no gas, regardless of the league. If (big IF) Vieri still has some, then I think he'd do well. I will admit I haven't seen him play in quite some time, so I'm not going to be able to make a judgment.

LucaGol
04-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Vieri is finished.

So no thanks.

MUFC_Niagara
04-07-2009, 07:49 PM

No thanks.

s2cazz
04-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Still, when there's no gas left in the tank, there's no gas, regardless of the league. If (big IF) Vieri still has some, then I think he'd do well. I will admit I haven't seen him play in quite some time, so I'm not going to be able to make a judgment.
He score 6 goals last season for Fiorentina and this season he barely played for atalanta... he's definately not at the top of his game anymore but he's still got gas in the tak for sure... he would for sure be a force in this league no question about it!

Finished in Serie A maybe...finished in lesser leagues no

LucaGol
04-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Honestly, this is what annoys me about the DP in this league.

There is a perception that for a player to fill this spot, they have to be over 30 and be a former World star.

There are so many players that are mid to late 20s in any of the top leagues in the world from lower table teams, who might be tempted by a big money offers. This would be true especially for Italy where average salaries are much lower than say Spain or England. I can name at least 10 players off the top of my head from Serie A who make less than 1 million dollars Canadian who could and probably would come to MLS if you doubled their salary. I have no doubt that they would make significant impacts in this league.

Ok, ... so my theory is limited to my own musings lacking substantiation ... but I still believe it to be true.

s2cazz
04-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Honestly, this is what annoys me about the DP in this league.

There is a perception that for a player to fill this spot, they have to be over 30 and be a former World star.

There are so many players that are mid to late 20s in any of the top leagues in the world from lower table teams, who might be tempted by a big money offers. This would be true especially for Italy where average salaries are much lower than say Spain or England. I can name at least 10 players off the top of my head from Serie A who make less than 1 million dollars Canadian who could and probably would come to MLS if you doubled their salary. I have no doubt that they would make significant impacts in this league.

Ok, ... so my theory is limited to my own musings lacking substantiation ... but I still believe it to be true.
That may be true...but I'm speaking as a Vieri fan... just because he's older doesn't mean he wouldn't do well on the same token. There may be players who would make the same impact but the brand behind Vieri and the older stars is much stronger already. If we were talking about anyone else I would agree with you... I'm biased and can't be swayed or bought lol

Chevy
04-07-2009, 08:51 PM
The other benefit of a young DP is that if the price is right you can potentially transfer him back to a bigger Euro club and get your investment back. Not really the case with most 35 year olds (forgetting Beckham for a minute).

giannibats
04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I've always felt that Vieri has been underwhelming. I had extremely high hopes when he came to Lazio considering he was coming off the best season of his career at Atletico Madrid. He showed flashes of brilliance in his time at Lazio but never really amounted to much - thus being dubbed a mercenary as the list of clubs he has played for can attest to. He's always been a big name that rarely delivered... and very lazy. I personally think at this point all he has left to offer is a half-season in MLS.

Bobo
04-08-2009, 12:51 AM
I love the way he plays, but injury on all these crap pitches is a real concern. If I was him I would not come over.

Considering it was knee injuries that did him in....

I've always felt that Vieri has been underwhelming. I had extremely high hopes when he came to Lazio considering he was coming off the best season of his career at Atletico Madrid. He showed flashes of brilliance in his time at Lazio but never really amounted to much - thus being dubbed a mercenary as the list of clubs he has played for can attest to. He's always been a big name that rarely delivered... and very lazy. I personally think at this point all he has left to offer is a half-season in MLS.

Mercenary yes, but he had a solid 5 years on top of the world. He carried the Azzurri as well as Inter for a long while.

This is true. He won the scoring title in Spain 11 seasons and many injuries ago. This is not the same Bobo. He really isn't very mobile anymore. That being said, I think MLS style of play would cater to him.

torontocelt
04-08-2009, 06:25 AM

Christian Vieri was a quality striker in his prime, on his day completely unplayable. He scored 103 goals in 144 games for Inter, that is an awesome return and 24 out of 24 for Athletico. 23 goals in 49 for Italy also backs up his credentials. He is a bit washed up now though it has to be said but he was an amazing player.