PDA

View Full Version : International Friendly to be announced soon

lintberg
04-07-2009, 09:33 AM
International Friendly to be announced soon according to Paul Beirne's twitter!

wzhxvy
04-07-2009, 09:39 AM
For the price of the seats, it better be someone good ! :-)

Wagner
04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Mr. Paul,
go off the chart...
Bundesliga...
(Bayern or St. Pauli!!!)

let's see something we don't see a lot of...(english, italian)
I enjoyed Pachuca and Indepediente...let's stay on that theme.

Lucky Strike
04-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I'll say the opponent comes from either Mexico or CONMEBOL where we'd get a fairly well-known team like Millionarios (sp?) from Colombia or something.

Shaughno
04-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Boca! :D

I'd love to see more top Argy Bargy or Brazilian teams.

maninb
04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Boca! :D

I'd love to see more top Argy Bargy or Brazilian teams.

yeah but they have a hell of a hard time selling those types of teams instead of a top Euro club....look at the thousands of empty seats vs Independiente...UNSOLD...

Yohan
04-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Please scrap these USELESS FRIENDLIES DURING MID SEASON!!!

MrHawk
04-07-2009, 10:06 AM
What about Top Teams from Uzbekistan?

GabrielHurl
04-07-2009, 10:08 AM

they'd still beat us

Ladies Love Julius James
04-07-2009, 10:08 AM

Seconded.

With CCL, MLS, International games, the schedule is packed as is.

Shaughno
04-07-2009, 10:09 AM
yeah but they have a hell of a hard time selling those types of teams instead of a top Euro club....look at the thousands of empty seats vs Independiente...UNSOLD...

Top Euro club? Like West Ham or Villa? :p ;)

Maybe they'll get their fucking act together and follow suit with Seattle and whoever else has proper friendlies.

Bayern
Porto
Inter
Chelsea

As much as we want to see those teams, I can't see MLSE ponying up the dosh to bring those type of teams in. My $0.02

Pigfynn
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
^^what d'you know though!?! :D

Oldtimer
04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Top Euro club? Like West Ham or Villa? :p ;)

Maybe they'll get their fucking act together and follow suit with Seattle and whoever else has proper friendlies.

Bayern
Porto
Inter
Chelsea

As much as we want to see those teams, I can't see MLSE ponying up the dosh to bring those type of teams in. My $0.02

The problem is BMO Field is too small to pay for top teams. In Seattle, they can open up the upper bowl.

Shaughno
04-07-2009, 10:14 AM
The problem is BMO Field is too small to pay for top teams. In Seattle, they can open up the upper bowl.

That's part of the problem yes, but they could always add 'temp seating'. :lol:

Seriously though, I think Boca would draw more people than Independiente, Villa, or probably any of our other friendlies.

Pigfynn
04-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I'd like to see someone like FC Twente or PSG or Hertha Berlin

They could do that right?

What about Kaizer Chiefs from South Africa or Gremio??

Any of those would be alright.

Actually, I think a Dutch team would be awesome to watch....maybe poach a player off em' :)

Nodoubtguy
04-07-2009, 10:16 AM
I'd like to see someone like FC Twente or PSG or Hertha Berlin

They could do that right?

What about Kaizer Chiefs from South Africa or Gremio??

Any of those would be alright.

I'd love to see Gremio.......

Shaughno
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Marsielle? Lyon? Sporting?

Pigfynn
04-07-2009, 10:18 AM
^^Ya, you can't tell me you can't get a great club from one of the "lower" euro leagues. Or a really big south american team.....you can do it!

Shaughno
04-07-2009, 10:19 AM
CSKA Moscow? Zenit? Tolouse FC.. for the battle of the TFC? :lol:

Nodoubtguy
04-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Penarol!!!!

Shaughno
04-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Besiktas? Galatasaray? Hoffenheim?

Pigfynn
04-07-2009, 10:21 AM
CSKA Moscow? Zenit? Tolouse FC.. for the battle of the TFC? :lol:

Yeah a Russian team, that would be cool!

My personal fav is Saturn

bee dubya
04-07-2009, 10:22 AM

I agree that the friendlies don't help during a crowded schedule.

I think the reason things shifted to South American teams last year was to get an idea of the type of football that we'd see if we made it to CONCACAF CL and to also establish contacts in that part of the footballing world. Pablo Vitti is here now because he played in the friendly last year...

Shaughno
04-07-2009, 10:30 AM
What about getting Henrik Larsson to play here... then sign him! :D

Helsingborg for the win!

ACSertL
04-07-2009, 10:32 AM

Helsingborg for the win!

AIK please :)

Shaughno
04-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Or how about getting the De Guzman's here... Deportivo or Feyenoord! :lol:

Shaughno
04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
AIK please :)

No, Larsson it is. :D

wzhxvy
04-07-2009, 10:35 AM
There's only one Julian De Guzman, There's only one Julian De Guzman
His brother 's a hore (then I forget the rest)
Living in a de Guzman Wonderland

Wagner
04-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Besiktas? Galatasaray? Hoffenheim?

BJK!! i'd be into that
who would Deniz cheer for??

TorCanSoc
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Scunthorpe!!

I'm glad we've all got world wide soccer knowledge. But I think the GTA is still an Anglo-centric draw. Someo of those great teams in Holland, Mexico, or France may not create the buzz. Meaning English and either Rangers or Celtic would be the biggest draw. The only other huge draws would top Spanish, or top Italian clubs. Anything else, I feel, will be just another friendly.

My $0.02 I think it will be Rangers, maybe part of the deal to take Edu, was a friendly? Not sure.

FluSH
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Anything but Colo-Colo...

C.Ronaldo
04-07-2009, 10:41 AM
im not paying for a friendly, so i dont care

unless it was man u or chelsea, im not paying

Red CB Toronto
04-07-2009, 10:50 AM
What about Millwall, Danny and Adrian could face their old club and they are partly owned by a Canadian. It is my understanding that Millwall will be playing in Ottawa this summer.

rocktml
04-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Legia Warsaw, Lech Poznan, Wisla Krakow.........

Krasno.pL.
04-07-2009, 10:56 AM
^^^
LOL YES fellow POLAK!!!

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
04-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Scunthorpe!!

I'm glad we've all got world wide soccer knowledge. But I think the GTA is still an Anglo-centric draw. Someo of those great teams in Holland, Mexico, or France may not create the buzz. Meaning English and either Rangers or Celtic would be the biggest draw. The only other huge draws would top Spanish, or top Italian clubs. Anything else, I feel, will be just another friendly.

My $0.02 I think it will be Rangers, maybe part of the deal to take Edu, was a friendly? Not sure.

what a load of shit. the GTA isint at all an anglo centric draw. Have you not been here during the world cup? Italian, Greek, Portuguese are all hugely repped in the tdot. Also Independiente isint that HUGE a club. What about RIver Plate? Or Boca Juniors? What about Millinarios? or Nacional?

my 0.2 cents, Even though this is canada if Nacional comes up, you will now know how awsome the football god is =D ...... That is if you go to the game :D

Section 117
04-07-2009, 12:06 PM
IMO there is little to no chance you will get a top European club to play on the crap we call field turf.

I was on the field just prior to them lifting the bubble and it is crap, there are facilities all over the city that have better turf... The turf needs to be maintained all they care about is making sure it is rented. I have one question to anyone invloved with the operations at TFC . Where in the world would a team let anyone play on the picth where the games are played? I know this is a rant is off topic but whatever...

nimamalek
04-07-2009, 12:13 PM
if seating is the issue, why dont they just hold the friendly at the roger centre and get a big team? A friendly in the middle of the season is nothing more than a cash grab anyway, might as well hold it somewhere else and leave BMO for the real games

nfitz
04-07-2009, 12:50 PM
The problem is BMO Field is too small to pay for top teams. In Seattle, they can open up the upper bowl.We could always go to Skydome for a friendly. (duck ...)

I agree that the friendlies don't help during a crowded schedule.Sure, but we have a couple of big gaps coming. There's a 12-day gap from June 6th to June 17th and 14-day gap from June 24th to July 11th. A friendly on/before June 12th or July 4th weekend would keep the team fresh, and still leave them 7 days rest until the next match. Surely a friendly during either one of those breaks would be in our benefit.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Im very confident TFC will be playing Rangers Fc this summer...... last year it fell through!

lets see if im right! ;)

MG42
04-07-2009, 12:55 PM
^part of the Edu deal ;)

billyfly
04-07-2009, 01:02 PM
How many Celtic fans show up just to boo Rangers?

Huginho
04-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Anything but Colo-Colo...

If you look back through Paul's Twitter messages he posted a list of teams that where being considered. Colo Colo was on that list. does say they are random names though

https://assets1.twitter.com/images/white.pngIntl friendlies - who u want to see? Koln, Psv einhoven, Atalanta, saprissa, colo colo, etc? Those are random examples btw.6:01 AM Mar 27th (https://api.twitter.com/Paulbeirne/status/1401007310) from Twittelator (http://www.stone.com/Twittelator)

Sonny Cheeba
04-07-2009, 01:08 PM

you mean cheer for TFC right? ;)

billyfly
04-07-2009, 01:08 PM
^No. Just to boo Rangers.:hump:

Calvin
04-07-2009, 01:09 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Pakhtakor_Tashkent

you mean like them? if they have support from the IMU anything is possible.

Calvin
04-07-2009, 01:11 PM
im not paying for a friendly, so i dont care

unless it was man u or chelsea, im not paying

same attitude the people who look down on tfc have about going to our games!

KrazyKanadian
04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
What, no votes for Gulu United? Come on, I bet we could beat them.

GingerNinja
04-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Eindhoven would be cool.

Miko
04-07-2009, 01:16 PM
what a load of shit. the GTA isint at all an anglo centric draw. Have you not been here during the world cup? Italian, Greek, Portuguese are all hugely repped in the tdot. Also Independiente isint that HUGE a club. What about RIver Plate? Or Boca Juniors? What about Millinarios? or Nacional?

my 0.2 cents, Even though this is canada if Nacional comes up, you will now know how awsome the football god is =D ...... That is if you go to the game :D

The GTA is not an anglo draw? - guess you missed the Celtic - Roma game or Liverpool - Porto games at Skydome.

More British fans than non British fans for those 2 games.

Didn't Millonarios play here last year against Barcelona de Ecuador and what 9000 people showed up?

H Bomb
04-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Its tough to get up for a mid season match against anyone that has no meaning in a league or cup. Sure it's a nice night out but I find these are the best tickets to give to family and friends who have been bugging me to go to a game. I'd love to see TFC do what Columbus did and go to europe and play against reserves and russian/swedish/ukrainian teams who are also in the offseason. Then we could travel with them

H Bomb
04-07-2009, 01:19 PM
The GTA is not an anglo draw? - guess you missed the Celtic - Roma game or Liverpool - Porto games at Skydome.

Didn't Millonarios play here last year against Barcelona de Ecuador and what 9000 people showed up?

this is true.

ensco
04-07-2009, 01:24 PM
AC Milan (or Inter, or maybe Chelsea, who are all in North America this summer) at Skydome.

Just a wildass guess.

rocker
04-07-2009, 01:24 PM
let`s play TFC Academy!!! they just beat AC Milan!

Nodoubtguy
04-07-2009, 01:26 PM

Which Nacional are we talking about??

jaahuuu
04-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Legia Warsaw, Lech Poznan, Wisla Krakow.........

^^^
LOL YES fellow POLAK!!!
This is totally unrelated to TFC but Arka Gdynia is playing Buffalo's NPSL team on June 10th.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Celtic, Liverpool, Santos (Brazil) :}

Sonny Cheeba
04-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Liverpool would be a terrible team to have here... well against TFC.

"c'mon you reds" and "oh when the reds" are already overused.

Red CB Toronto
04-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Its tough to get up for a mid season match against anyone that has no meaning in a league or cup. Sure it's a nice night out but I find these are the best tickets to give to family and friends who have been bugging me to go to a game. I'd love to see TFC do what Columbus did and go to europe and play against reserves and russian/swedish/ukrainian teams who are also in the offseason. Then we could travel with them

Would it not make sense then to play against a Russian, Swedish or Ukrainian team then, maybe have two teams over for a series and get some of our younger players some action, heck last year three CSL guest players saw action in one of the friendlies.

Frick
04-07-2009, 03:23 PM

Helsingborg for the win!

Pure genius.

TFC Bhoy
04-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Well it wouldn't be JUST to boo them. It would be to cheer on TFC too, but I have to admit that a BIG part would be to boo them.

mlsintoronto
04-07-2009, 03:48 PM
one thing is certain:
- A number of you will like the opponent,

- others will not because the are not English enough or they are too English, or some variation on that...

- others will not like the fact that we have friendly matches.

:)

Sonny Cheeba
04-07-2009, 03:49 PM
one thing is certain:

- others will not because the are not English enough or they are too English, or some variation on that...

Arsenal?:hump::hump::hump:

Pigfynn
04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
one more hint Paul pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

shawn6597
04-07-2009, 03:55 PM
yeah i though arsenal right away too
or liverpool

as someone who is nuetral to anything outside of mls, i think i would be pretty pleased with an arsenal friendly
there is no doubt they are a quality side, full of young talent

Pigfynn
04-07-2009, 03:58 PM
^^^ no way it's arsenal or liverpool guys

Sonny Cheeba
04-07-2009, 03:59 PM
it was the "not english enough" part that made me say arsenal.

TFC wouldn't stand a chance.

nfitz
04-07-2009, 03:59 PM
too English, but not English enough.

Cardiff!

Pigfynn
04-07-2009, 04:01 PM
^^^ahhhh!

TFC Bhoy
04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
"too English, but not English enough."

Could this once again point to Rangers? They are not english enough as they play in the SCOTTISH league, but are TOO english for Scottish fans or that as they don't fly scottish flags but fly the union jack and always sing about the queen and things. Just a thought

shawn6597
04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
ahhh cardiff yes
this is a bad-ass paul b. riddle

i think tfc bhoy is right
its backed by the rumours from a month or so ago

Sonny Cheeba
04-07-2009, 04:04 PM
"too English, but not English enough."

Could this once again point to Rangers? They are not english enough as they play in the SCOTTISH league, but are TOO english for Scottish fans or that as they don't fly scottish flags but fly the union jack and always sing about the queen and things. Just a thought

ooooh nice reasoning.

TFC07
04-07-2009, 04:05 PM
When exactly is TFC going to announce international friendly?

Joe Kool
04-07-2009, 04:12 PM
I really don't think that those were hints at all. He is just stating the facts.

1) A number of you will like the opponent - That's a given no matter who they pick really.

2) Others will not because the are not English enough or they are too English, or some variation on that... - If it is an English team, it will be too English for some who are not big on English teams. If not an English team, then not English enough for English league fans.

3) Others will not like the fact that we have friendly matches. - Another given.

TFC07
04-07-2009, 04:12 PM
BTW, is it Chelsea? :D

Joe Kool
04-07-2009, 04:14 PM
I might be able to get my U7 team out from Ajax if you are stuck Paul. Maybe not international enough though. Some of the parents are not from Canada if that helps.

Miko
04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Arsenal?:hump::hump::hump:

I wish...they came out this week and said they won't tour the US or Asia for the next few years as Wenger likes the Austria preseason tour and the Emirates Cup Tourney.

I think even if they did come to the US they would play the Crapids as Kroenke own them and 25% of Arsenal.

TFC07
04-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Who is Crew playing in their friendly? I remember last year, West Ham and Independiente played in Columbus as well in Toronto. Year before that, Aston Villa played in Columbus after they played in Toronto.

Brooker
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
one thing is certain:

i'd like to hear paul talk about improving the horrendous game day experience at BMO Field rather than useless lame joke hints about a friendly.

nfitz
04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
i'd like to hear paul talk about improving the horrendous game day experience at BMO Field rather than useless lame joke hints about a friendly.That would be off-topic though.

greatwhitenorf
04-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Well if Chelsea, gli ragazzi Milano and Club America wanna steal the spotlight with their tourney, I say let's steal it back with our own special four team event - The T Cup.

Featurng Toronto, Torino, Tirana, Toulouse.

mlsintoronto
04-07-2009, 04:55 PM
i'd like to hear paul talk about improving the horrendous game day experience at BMO Field rather than useless lame joke hints about a friendly.

It wasn't a riddle. some people have too much time on their hands and maybe I shouldn't have put the happy face. Fact is, I have zero idea who the friendly might be with...I'm dealing with too many clubs to mention right now.

As for the horrendous game day experience...are you talking about the lack of heat? the long bathroom lines or the slower than normal concessions?

For the bathroom lines...The place is not built for everyone to go pee at halftime. Every year we have a problem on the first game then people remember the issue and go during the first or second half. The issue (and the solution) is one of educating the consumer. You'll see big improvement next game, and by game 4 the lines will be manageable.

For the concessions...I agree. It wasn't anywhere near acceptable. As the client in the building, I wasn't happy about it and I'm trying to get answers on how it will be improved for next game.

Roogsy
04-07-2009, 04:58 PM

That was a horrendously poorly advertised game. Even the Colombians and Ecuadorians who live in this city (including myself) did not know the game was here.

FluSH
04-07-2009, 09:25 PM
It wasn't a riddle. some people have too much time on their hands and maybe I shouldn't have put the happy face. Fact is, I have zero idea who the friendly might be with...I'm dealing with too many clubs to mention right now.

As long as it's not Colo-Colo or Santos (haha that would just be wrong...) I'll be glad with any other team getting an ass whooping here in T.O.

Oblio2
04-07-2009, 09:31 PM
If it's Arsenal. I will sit in my seats and throw poo at them
Same for Chelsea, tied to bottles of piss.

Honestly, unless it's a big team like AC Milan, Celtic, Man U etc...or my beloved Tottenham...I'll be selling the tickets.

LucaGol
04-07-2009, 09:33 PM
No Friendlies In The Middle Of The Season.

It's Stupid.

MUFC_Niagara
04-07-2009, 09:34 PM

+1 fucking one......if any of our players get hurt I wil be pissed!

MUFC_Niagara
04-07-2009, 09:35 PM
No Friendlies In The Middle Of The Season.

It's Stupid.

quoting again for truth!

edit: this is also the first time I have ever been in agreement with LucaGol!

MUFC_Niagara
04-07-2009, 09:36 PM
If it's Arsenal. I will sit in my seats and throw poo at them
Same for Chelsea, tied to bottles of piss.

Honestly, unless it's a big team like AC Milan, Celtic, Man U etc...or my beloved Tottenham...I'll be selling the tickets.

LMFAO....epic post!

LucaGol
04-07-2009, 09:37 PM
quoting again for truth!

edit: this is also the first time I have ever been in agreement with LucaGol!

... its a sign

Paul ... do you see what's going on here?
:D

MUFC_Niagara
04-07-2009, 09:39 PM

As for the horrendous game day experience...are you talking about the lack of heat? the long bathroom lines or the slower than normal concessions?

For the bathroom lines...The place is not built for everyone to go pee at halftime. Every year we have a problem on the first game then people remember the issue and go during the first or second half. The issue (and the solution) is one of educating the consumer. You'll see big improvement next game, and by game 4 the lines will be manageable.

For the concessions...I agree. It wasn't anywhere near acceptable. As the client in the building, I wasn't happy about it and I'm trying to get answers on how it will be improved for next game.

....don't drink at the games like you're at a night club.

....eat before you go.

Paul can I have a job? I just solved both issues!!!

TFC Bhoy
04-07-2009, 09:44 PM
don't drink at the game?!?!?! are you insane?!?! i LOVE spending $13 on a single beer!!! because its so expensive you KNOW it has to be the best beer ever right :D

NF-FC
04-08-2009, 09:38 AM
one thing is certain:

Please stop with the useless friendlies. Are they really that important to the average fan? Will the masses cancel their season tickets because Independiente isn't coming to town this year? We aren't the Revs or Wizards, we don't need to be tempted by B-list foreign clubs to buy tickets. Just make the Voyageurs Cup games the bonus games and be done with it.

mclaren
04-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Paul, can you get Sunderland over? Thank you kindly.

Super
04-08-2009, 10:09 AM
I think most of the people attached to supporters groups are not as concerned about the friendlies as the other season ticket holders. Don't get me wrong, it's a great thing that TFC puts in the effort to organize for a friendly, but the risk of losing a player to injury, and burning valuable energy in what is a meaningless game, well, obviously it's not a good thing for our goal - which is to make the play-offs.

But keep up the great work, Paul. You'll no doubt continue to not be able to please everything on every single issue. That's part of having a top job.

Toronto Gunner
04-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm hearing both sides - "stop the friendlies because they're a waste", and "boo hoo, did you see who team X got for their friendly, why can't we get teams like that?" (I'm paraphrasing of course).

I like the friendlies because it's not only a chance to see how we rate against our foreign counterparts, but it allows fans to see teams that they otherwise might not be able to. I'd love to see the 'gers at BMO because I know that my chances of getting to Scotland for a game are looking pretty slim over the next few years.

TOBOR !
04-08-2009, 11:37 AM
I'd just be happy knowing when it's going to be so I can make plans.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-08-2009, 11:45 AM

Look i don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, because i appreciate everything that you do...

That being said, your answer/solution is pretty much non existent, you're pretty much saying "we are going to EDUCATE you"??? On what? How to line up, when to use the washroom and when not too??

The line-ups are HORRIBLE both washroom and Concession...and yes your right it is the same story year over year....So why can't "we" fix it??? "If you build it they will come"

End rant.

brad
04-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Rolled up newspapers folks, it's an old terrace trick..:-)

JDG
04-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Look i don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, because i appreciate everything that you do...

That being said, your answer/solution is pretty much non existent, you're pretty much saying "we are going to EDUCATE you"??? On what? How to line up, when to use the washroom and when not too??

The line-ups are HORRIBLE both washroom and Concession...and yes your right it is the same story year over year....So why can't "we" fix it??? "If you build it they will come"

End rant.

TFC/MLSE is a tennant. BMO Field makes the decision on upgrades, so please make sure you're addressing the right person with your issues.
Paul is as incovenienced by the situation as the rest of us.

JonO
04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't understand the complaints about the bathroom lines... ever been to a leafs game? It's simply not economically practical to build enough bathrooms to service 20,000 people in 5 minutes, 18 times a year (there are rarely significant lines before and after a game)

boban
04-08-2009, 12:30 PM
TFC/MLSE is a tennant. BMO Field makes the decision on upgrades, so please make sure you're addressing the right person with your issues.
Paul is as incovenienced by the situation as the rest of us.
God you're out to lunch on this one.
MLSE manages the facility.

Brooker
04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I know Independiente and Pachuca are known teams, but I had never heard of them before the friendlies last year.... and I'm guessing I wasn't the only one.... so it was a little disappointing for me.

The one team I see people talking about that makes sense to me is Rangers. I've seen Celtic before and I'd love to be able to see Rangers. Especially TFC thumping them. :D

TFCREDNWHITE
04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I don't understand the complaints about the bathroom lines... ever been to a leafs game? It's simply not economically practical to build enough bathrooms to service 20,000 people in 5 minutes, 18 times a year (there are rarely significant lines before and after a game)

Yes. I go to both Leafs games and Raptor games all the time. I never wait for washroom lines in the ACC as COMPARED(key word) to BMO Field.

Have you never waited for ridiculous amounts of time at BMO Field???

JonO
04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Have you never waited for ridiculous amounts of time at BMO Field???
Not significantly longer than at a leafs game... Although I do think it varies in different parts of the stadium. maybe distribution is the problem...:noidea: Anyway, how about them international friendlies? ;)

pubboy
04-08-2009, 02:29 PM
"The place is not built for everyone to go pee at halftime. Every year we have a problem on the first game then people remember the issue and go during the first or second half. "

I have to say, i was puzzled by this statement. I thought this was a purpose built football stadium, footie fans drink beer, and the only break in a football game is half time - hence, everyone goes pee at halftime (unless you want to miss part of the game, which most football supporters really dont want to do given the risk you will miss a goal). I guess the answer really, is that the people that built the stadium really didnt understand football, and based it on their rounders experience.

Kevvv
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
"The place is not built for everyone to go pee at halftime. Every year we have a problem on the first game then people remember the issue and go during the first or second half. "

I have to say, i was puzzled by this statement. I thought this was a purpose built football stadium, footie fans drink beer, and the only break in a football game is half time - hence, everyone goes pee at halftime (unless you want to miss part of the game, which most football supporters really dont want to do given the risk you will miss a goal). I guess the answer really, is that the people that built the stadium really didnt understand football, and based it on their rounders experience.

(Would more likely be based on hockey or basketball experience.)

Out of curiousity (since I genuinely don't know), how do the English stadiums differ? Do they have larger concession and washroom areas to handle the 15 minute crush, and how many more washrooms/urinals would it take BMO to get to a comparable level?

Red CB Toronto
04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
I one all for Millwall, QPR, Preston NE, West Brom etc, one of Danny D's former clubs, a great way celebrate the final season of this TFC legend.

Miko
04-08-2009, 02:48 PM

Out of curiousity (since I genuinely don't know), how do the English stadiums differ? Do they have larger concession and washroom areas to handle the 15 minute crush, and how many more washrooms/urinals would it take BMO to get to a comparable level?

The new Wembley has troughs because they realized that they needed to get 90K people through in 15 mins.

Alsothey have special beer taps (like Emirates) that can pour ridiculously fast pints.

Shaughno
04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Troughs are the only way to go if you want to get people in and out of the pisser as fast as possibly.

Kevvv
04-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Troughs are the only way to go if you want to get people in and out of the pisser as fast as possibly.

Agreed - I said the same after last year's home opener. I don't remember lineups at the Gardens.

Someone refresh my memory - are there partitions between urinals at BMO? There's another waste of space. Rip out the singles & partitions, put in one big trough, and keep maybe 3 partitioned urinals for shy folks with lots of time to wait.

Red CB Toronto
04-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Having been to Emirates, actually twice in one week back in Feb. of this year I will say they can pour a fast beer.

On the subject of the friendly does it really matter what team they play, would the FO really take a beating if they did play a Championship side etc. 16,000 + tickets have been sold. Everyone on this board has their club for the most part that they support outside of TFC, so if is not that exact club or two, it won't matter, but in my mind all that really matters is that the Reds are on the pitch that evening.

With the 24 man roster, yes we only have 23 on it right now, you are bound to see some of the starters, we really do not have reserves anymore with no league for them to play in, now that is a subject for another day, and the smaller roster.
The most glaring example of a starter being hurt in one of these things in Ronnie O'Brien so that could be an issue, but in the end just enjoy it for what it is and cheer on those Reds.

grizzle
04-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Independiente is pretty crap compared to Boca or River. I agree it would probably still be hard to sell those games, but they have way more fans worldwide then Independiente. I would love to see River :)

rocker
04-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Someone refresh my memory - are there partitions between urinals at BMO? There's another waste of space. Rip out the singles & partitions, put in one big trough, and keep maybe 3 partitioned urinals for shy folks with lots of time to wait.

why do you want to do away with partitions? I hate urinals without them.
I don't want to see some other guys cock in my peripheral vision.
Troughs are sickening. I'd rather wait than piss in one of those medieval things.

Despite the long lines, I got in and out pretty fast the last game. Now, if you wanna go get beer, and then hot dogs, and take a piss, it's a big problem. But the pissing part goes pretty quickly if you leave your seats at the whistle.

Red CB Toronto
04-08-2009, 05:05 PM
How do you think TFC would draw if they played a friendly against say a local university team at their stadium. The Fire last night played a friendly for charity last night against the University of Illinois-Chicago. Do you think you could sell out the Varsity Centre, which seats about 5,000 at $10-15 a ticket. It would be done for charity.

Sonny Cheeba
04-08-2009, 05:10 PM
seriously, the piss trough talk has to go.

NAY

trail
04-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Question here

I was in line and needed to do a number two, I was the forth person back and seen a stall open. No one in line in front of me was going for it. So I did, my assumption was they were leaving it for some one that needed it. Me. After getting in the stall I heard some one make a smart ass remark about me jumping the line. Is there some rule I don't know.

Sonny Cheeba
04-08-2009, 09:20 PM
somebody shat in a urinal last season.... maybe there is some rule that you wait in line and do your number in the next available spot.

i'm guessing someone wanted to wee wee there but didn't notice until you closed the door. don't worry about it, next time yell that you were crowning or something, that will shut them up.

Oblio2
04-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Why the complaining about P'ing. Wear a Diaper.

pubboy
04-09-2009, 07:54 AM

Concessions suck as much (if not more) than TFC. It's much more limited over there (at least at Coventry) - basically you can get pie and chips (fries), crisps (chips), chocolate, and beer. There are more washrooms, and as someone else mentioned, they use troughs so people squeeze in - fit more people in. Also, most guys dont wash their hands after peeing over there, so they're in and out quicker (NOT recommending this !!!). Basically, more bathrooms and troughs.

rocker
04-09-2009, 07:26 PM
from paul's twitter:

Arggh. Friendly match fell through. No announcement imminent. Back to the drawing board. No it's not Rangers.about 1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne/status/1486795146) from Tweetie (http://www.atebits.com/) http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitter_production/profile_images/81081940/Southwest_Adventure_018_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)
Paulbeirne (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)
Paul Beirne

TorCanSoc
04-09-2009, 11:07 PM

GTA is a huge melting pot of cultures sure. I think I'm thinking more about GTA soccer in the late 70's early 80's. I'm a bit long in the tooth. GolTV, FSWC and even TLN are pretty recent in terms of soccer coverage. I love the other Euro leagues, I got pretty tired of ManU-Chelsea, ManU-Liverpoo, ManU-Scunthorpe. I love the Asian leagues for some reason, I love the fact that non-Euro teams can draw 50,000 people for a league football match. Its the worlds game for sure. :)

Dioncarlyle
04-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Friendlies are just a good way to test out younger players or give some guys on the fringe of the 1st a change to get out there and show Carver they have what it takes to get a starting spot instead of riding the pine. That bring said if we lose a quality player like we did Ronnie in the first season in that friendly I'll be a little more than upset.

YoungBlood113
04-10-2009, 04:03 PM
NAPOLI! Who wouldnt love to see Lavezzi and Hamsik grace BMO?

plus i wouldnt mind seeing my Azzurri live :)

Rossiroo
04-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Stuttgart!!! :-)

grizzle
04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
When are they going to decide this... last update in his twitter said:

Update on booking friendly matches: it ain't friendly at all. It's like fitting a square peg in a round hole. By strangely fun.5:00 AM Apr 18th (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne/status/1550214199) from Tweetie (http://www.atebits.com/)

TFCREDNWHITE
04-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Call the Oakville Soccer Association!! I'm sure they will be more than happy to play a friendly...

and who knows...Oakville might get the "right" calls from the REF and end up winning the game!

grizzle
04-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Call the Oakville Soccer Association!! I'm sure they will be more than happy to play a friendly...

and who knows...Oakville might get the "right" calls from the REF and end up winning the game!

Just because they are in the same province, doesn't mean they can't be considered International. I agree, Oakville should be given International status.