PDA

View Full Version : How will the media react to the Blue Jays Game compared to TFC

Red CB Toronto
04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Jim Leyland tonight pulled the Tigers off the field at the Rogers Centre do to projectiles being thrown onto the field including baseballs. I am very curious to see how this story is treated compared to Toronto FC over the last week. Should be interesting.

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
The Tigers Jays game has just been stopped because objects are being thrown on the field!

Detriot manager has pulled his guys off the field.

How will they blame this on us?

MERGE OR DELETE PLEASE

FluSH
04-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Cathal Kelly =

anti-soccer
anti-supporter

Pigfynn
Beat me to it!

They'll blame soccer's influence

Nuvinho
They will somehow.

Some journalist will see ONE fan wearing a TFC scarf or something, and say that the Toronto FC fans caused this.

Manutd #1
04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
you mean the people throwing stuff on the field weren't TFC fans lol Im sure the sun will have a pic on the front page of some guy wearing a soccer jersey throwing something and link him to this

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
did they restart play yet?

FluSH
04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
We were crucified... If I don't see the same... it will prove the discrimination against soccer from these TRASH journos.

Nuvinho
04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
did they restart play yet?

yes, just did it.

But I have a feeling when the Tigers are up....it will start again.

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Drunk people

at a sporting event

sometimes behave badly

:eek:

Baseball too!?!

Suds
04-06-2009, 09:11 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I can just somehow see if there is a story they'll drag us into it. Something along the lines of ... the behavior that started with the fans at BMO has spread to the Jays ... or something like that.

MG42
04-06-2009, 09:12 PM
why were they throwing stuff?

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 09:13 PM
^^Wow! careful you may get hired at the Star:)

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 09:14 PM
why were they throwing stuff?

see my drunk people post above

shawn6597
i bet it will get no more than two sentences in the post game write up

while we get multiple articles over the course of a week because not only are we drunk, we're "hooligans"

stretchthetruth
I hope I'm wrong, but I can just somehow see if there is a story they'll drag us into it. Something along the lines of ... the behavior that started with the fans at BMO has spread to the Jays ... or something like that.

you just wrote the first paragraph... i'll be shocked if that isnt almost exactly what is said in the papers tomorrow...

Ageroo
04-06-2009, 09:16 PM
My bet is that there definitely will be mention of TFC supporters and how we have corrupted all other sports in the city... :) It will be a good read....Denime should like all articles on the Jays that reference TFC....It might be interesting!

sardinho
04-06-2009, 09:17 PM
guys, get over it! anybody at the jays game throwing stuff is still an idiot. no more and no less than the idiots throwing stuff at BMO. we should quit sounding like it's our obligation to defend stupidity just because it's dressed in TFC (or jays) gear. come on.

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Who's defending anything dude?

FluSH
04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Trash Journalism... We demand an apology!

Ageroo
04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
guys, get over it! anybody at the jays game throwing stuff is still an idiot. no more and no less than the idiots throwing stuff at BMO. we should quit sounding like it's our obligation to defend stupidity just because it's dressed in TFC (or jays) gear. come on.

who is defending the stupidity of throwing crap......?

spezz44
04-06-2009, 09:19 PM
im really interested to see the negative media comparison, should be interesting to see.

Boris

no one is defending anyone here

GBV
We were crucified... If I don't see the same... it will prove the discrimination against soccer from these TRASH journos.

i think the "taser" thing had much to do with it.
the meathead/drunken situation at least year's jays' home opener got lots of negative press.

FluSH

How about I get treated differently cause I support soccer... because I support TFC.

You ever experience discrimination? I highly doubt it... there is a huge anti-soccer movement here in Toronto... and these Trash Journos have shown it.

Jack
04-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Right now nothing has been written so save your indignation and energy.

We're getting worked up over a possible article here.

FluSH
04-06-2009, 09:23 PM
i think the "taser" thing had much to do with it.
the meathead/drunken situation at least year's jays' home opener got lots of negative press.

That's not an excuse... I thought we are all Canadians? Instead, a Canadian gets tazered... noone hears his side of the story, and because the man is a TFC "hooligan" he deserved it.

If you only knew what really happened to that guy. Shame on these gutless journalist...

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 09:23 PM
You have to admit it will be interesting though. right?

The timing is perfect.. we shall see I guess.

FluSH
04-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Who's standing up for us? noone?

The Chilean fans that got tazered got support from their Government

We get treated at Columbus like wild animals at a rodeo, and what do we get from our fellow Canadians?

What do we get from the Canadian Media?

SHAME ON YOU

Nuvinho
I know its mls-rumors.net........but there are 2 articles about "dry games" at BMO?

CretanBull
Between the fights and things being thrown on the field, I don't feel safe going to the Rogers Centre any more. Thanks hooligans for ruining baseball for me.

shawn6597
04-06-2009, 09:27 PM
mccormick tells leyland to settle down on sportsnet connected lol

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
I've no problems with a dry match. I like a beer at the game but I fully support the idea.

GBV
04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
That's not an excuse... I thought we are all Canadians? Instead, a Canadian gets tazered... noone hears his side of the story, and because the man is a TFC "hooligan" he deserved it.

If you only knew what really happened to that guy. Shame on these gutless journalist...

what i'm saying is if the taser is involved as such, of course it's going to get media play. it's a hot-button thing and on the fronts of lips of many.

would be a good to hear tasee's side of the story, i agree.
perhaps an attempt was made to talk to him. or not.

Jack
04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
There were a couple of baseballs on the field, from what I could see.

Not that big of a deal. Leyland was just trying to salvage something from a game where his team was getting their butts kicked. The PA announced that they stop throwing stuff on the field or the game could be forfeit.

I'd like to see that happen at a TFC game. If assholes throw stuff on the field, how about an announcement that if anything else gets thrown on the field, the game will be forfeit. It seemed to work tonight at the Skydome.

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
There were a couple of baseballs on the field, from what I could see.

Not that big of a deal. Leyland was just trying to salvage something from a game where his team was getting their butts kicked. The PA announced that they stop throwing stuff on the field or the game could be forfeit.

I'd like to see that happen at a TFC game. If assholes throw stuff on the field, how about an announcement that if anything else gets thrown on the field, the game will be forfeit. It seemed to work tonight at the Skydome.

Self policing would become the rule if they threatened to take away a TFC win, I can tell you that!

sardinho
have i missed the articles this season that have "trashed" the sport? the impression i'm getting is that some people believe that any negative coverage is somehow evidence of an anti-football conspiracy by local journalists, rather than admitting that it's coverage of behaviour that invites criticism, then claims bias. just my view; some may not see the "bet they don't mention the jays' fans the way they dump on us" as "defending" footie supporters, and maybe that's a reasonable position. from my vantage point, since columbus, it seems like there's been a lot of bending over backwards trying to downplay or excuse or minimize or laugh at stuff that maybe shouldn't be laughed off. just a point of view, guys.

grimm
Here Here! As per dry games... all college pointy ball games on campus are dry, and there is always a way if one was so inlined! ;)

spezz44
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
i no this was a long time ago, but in the game in which dichio scored TFC's first goal did the PA annoucer not make an annoucement to stop throwing things?? but point is if thats true we at least no it can be done.

FluSH
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
what i'm saying is if the taser is involved as such, of course it's going to get media play. it's a hot-button thing and on the fronts of lips of many.

would be a good to hear tasee's side of the story, i agree.
perhaps an attempt was made to talk to him. or not.

As far as I know a half-assed attempt was made (the dude was scared and is still scared). However, was there an attempt to reach out to Jack or the other leaders of the SG's before the story broke out?

No

We were sold for a cheap story... an easy sell. That's what these fellow Canadian Journalists did. I wish we would have been Chilean... they got more respect at home. Not only did we get treated unfairly at Columbus, but we were crucified by our own.

How does that feel? Really how does it feel... Second Class citizens in our own country because we support TFC.

Shame on Cathal Kelly... Shame on Wheeler... you are nothing but TRASH.

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 09:33 PM
have i missed the articles this season that have "trashed" the sport? the impression i'm getting is that some people believe that any negative coverage is somehow evidence of an anti-football conspiracy by local journalists, rather than admitting that it's coverage of behaviour that invites criticism, then claims bias. just my view; some may not see the "bet they don't mention the jays' fans the way they dump on us" as "defending" footie supporters, and maybe that's a reasonable position. from my vantage point, since columbus, it seems like there's been a lot of bending over backwards trying to downplay or excuse or minimize or laugh at stuff that maybe shouldn't be laughed off. just a point of view, guys.

Were you in Columbus?

GBV
04-06-2009, 09:34 PM

try being a wrestling fan. maligned all the time :):):)

FluSH
04-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Are you kidding me... go to the V's board... they been fighting the anti-soccer media wars for years.

If you don't see the anti-soccer movement in Toronto you need step out of your bubble.

MUFC_Niagara
04-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Are you kidding me... go to the V's board... they been fighting the anti-soccer media wars for years.

If you don't see the anti-soccer movement in Toronto you need step out of your bubble.

It's true, FluSH.

Suds
04-06-2009, 09:36 PM

Not sure if I would. Once you make the threat of forfeiting the game you have to follow though and it would suck to lose points for the isolated incidents at BMO. I'd rather they explore other options to address it.

FluSH
04-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Let's brake it down in simple points... on the tazering.

How did the Chilean Media treat their own after the U20's?

How did the Canadian Media treat their own after Columbus?

Trash anti-soccer Media

MG42
Here Here! As per dry games... all college pointy ball games on campus are dry, and there is always a way if one was so inlined! ;)

Like the fake beer belly?

http://www.thebeerbelly.com/photos/KIT-ITEM-2.jpg

H Bomb
I just hope that there aren't over the top articles about jays fans tomorrow. Wouldn't wish on them what has happened to us.

H Bomb
04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Let's brake it down in simple points... on the tazering.

How did the Chilean Media treat their own after the U20's?

How did the Canadian Media treat their own after Columbus?

Trash anti-soccer Media

And while I agree it's wrong, it's completely cultural and not surprising. North America is anti-soccer, not just Toronto. At least we have a team now as apposed to 4 years ago when it was anti soccer and we had nothing

James Oliphant
04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Right now nothing has been written so save your indignation and energy.

We're getting worked up over a possible article here.

This post needed a port to page 2.

Let's take it down a notch until we actually KNOW what's been written about the incident at the Dome.

MUFC_Niagara
04-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I just hope that there aren't over the top articles about jays fans tomorrow. Wouldn't wish on them what has happened to us.

There won't be, I doubt very much so that they will even mention it.

H Bomb
04-06-2009, 09:41 PM
and that would be a good thing

FluSH
04-06-2009, 09:42 PM

Let's take it down a notch until we actually KNOW what's been written about the incident at the Dome.

You're right, but at this time I feel betrayed... I feel that had we been Chileans, the Chilean media and Government would have been with us.

Maybe we should have been part of Leaf Nation... do you think it would have been different then? or would our own Canadian Journalists still have sold us out?

James Oliphant
04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
There won't be, I doubt very much so that they will even mention it.

Come on Stock...surely you saw the articles from last year's season opener.

TFC07
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
To be fair, it is only Toronto media and couple of puckheads that are anti-soccer and anti non-hockey sports in general (basketball gets a bad rap as well). I highly doubt your average person in GTA hates soccer.

The problem is Toronto media is made up mostly old farts who are still living in the past and can't face the facts that Toronto has changed and people living in Toronto love sports like soccer and basketball and rather play those sports instead of their precious hockey, which is dying in GTA. Soccer and basketball are biggest threat to hockey in GTA right now and these old farts don't like that at all.

spezz44
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
they will mention it, but not to the extent it was taken to with TFC fans, i hope not anyway, negative press sucks they should be highlighting the positves.

James Oliphant
04-06-2009, 09:44 PM
You're right, but at this time I feel betrayed... I feel that had we been Chileans, the Chilean media and Government would have been with us.

Maybe we should have been part of Leaf Nation... do you think it would have been different then? or would our own Canadian Journalists still have sold us out?

Hey man, believe me...I'm fighting on your side here. But people here are getting far too worked up over the Blue Jays situation mere moments after it has ended. Let's save our outrage for the morning, if it's necessary. No point in anyone having fitful sleeps because of this.

H Bomb
04-06-2009, 09:45 PM

they would have sold us out. We have a culture of only mentioning the worst...it happened last year with the chile thing, and the Jays thing, and now us. Leafs fans are constantly mentioned as morons (you think that comes from somewhere other than media)...we sadly have a hate-mongering, cynical sports media culture that don't understand the games they report on. In pregame press boxes there are often announcements that they are in a working press box and there will be no cheering....this is a huge part of the problem.

FluSH
04-06-2009, 09:47 PM
We deserve an apology... labelled as 'hooligans' members of 'firms'... WTF!

Cathal how do you sleep at night... do you have any morals? What do you teach your children?

MUFC_Niagara
04-06-2009, 09:48 PM
You guys know there is no alcohol beiong served tonight right? Rogers Centre lost its lisence for thr first 3 games.

H Bomb
04-06-2009, 09:49 PM
We deserve an apology... labelled as 'hooligans' members of 'firms'... WTF!

Cathal how do you sleep at night... do you have any morals? What do you teach your children?

completely agreed, 100%, but this is the bluejays forum....lets hate on Cathal in the Cathal hate thread.

MUFC_Niagara
Come on Stock...surely you saw the articles from last year's season opener.

They weren't written with the same venom though, James.

Pigfynn
^^whoa for real?

uhh about the dry game

CretanBull
Not that big of a deal.

Not a big deal? It was the biggest embarassment in Toronto's history! Those chest thumping savages have forever ruined the sport in Toronto! The Jays should just fold now because a baseball game will never again be a safe family environment. Jays supporters got into fights last year and they weren't banned and now those racist thugs have caused a delay of game. The only reasonable solution is to leave your passport at the front gate and if you do anything other than sit in your seat then it's off to Guantanamo where you can spend time with the other terrorists. It's the most shamefull day in Canada's history.

GBV
You guys know there is no alcohol beiong served tonight right? Rogers Centre lost its lisence for thr first 3 games.

no, it lost it for three games. the first of which is tomorrow. then another jays game and an argo game.

MUFC_Niagara
04-06-2009, 09:50 PM

Do you guys think this changes anything?

MUFC_Niagara
04-06-2009, 09:51 PM
no, it lost it for three games. the first of which is tomorrow. then another jays game and an argo game.

The guys I am working with said it was tonights game too...

CretanBull
04-06-2009, 09:51 PM

Who cares about facts? PEOPLE WERE TASERED!!

TorontoFC_Matt
04-06-2009, 09:52 PM
it is funny that nothing has been written yet

GBV
04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
The guys I am working with said it was tonights game too...

article from saturday:

TORONTO — Rogers Centre has been slapped with temporary liquor licence suspensions for three games after infractions at previous events.

A baseball game next Tuesday between the Toronto Blue Jays and the Detroit Tigers will be alcohol-free along with another Jays game on April 21.

The liquor licence for an August football game has also been suspended.

Fans won't be served alcohol on Aug. 1 when the Toronto Argonauts host the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

A statement from the Rogers Centre doesn't specify when infractions that led to the suspensions happened at the stadium.

Tickets to either of the baseball games can be swapped for another game, though there's no word yet on potential exchanges for the Aug.1 football game.

TorontoFC_Matt
04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
The only down note came during the eighth, when fans threw two baseballs on the field, prompting the umpires to pull the teams off the field. A delay of nine minutes followed before the PA announcer, with interim Blue Jays CEO Paul Beeston standing over his shoulder, told the crowd a forfeiture would follow if they didn't stop.

took that from sportsnet, no reason to post the link

denime
04-06-2009, 09:54 PM
It is already in Toronto Star:

The only down note came during the eighth, when fans threw two baseballs on the field, prompting the umpires to pull the teams off the field. A delay of nine minutes followed before the PA announcer, with interim Blue Jays CEO Paul Beeston standing over his shoulder, told the crowd a forfeiture would follow if they didn't stop.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/614808

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 09:55 PM

We can only wish for this kind of indifference

MUFC_Niagara
04-06-2009, 09:55 PM

Soooooo....was that part of a larger article on the game? I hope to god someone is writing an editorial on this right now. Stephen Brunt, stand up for us now!!!!

FluSH
04-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Who cares about facts? PEOPLE WERE TASERED!!

It's a collective of trash journos

You get tasered at a sporting event = Canadian Journos thinking 'time to sell my story $$$'

Forget the Facts... forget supporting your own when you have no clue what went down.

Down right SHAME

shawn6597
04-06-2009, 09:56 PM
^i think thats tomorrow
you may be right but i could have swore i saw a guy sippin a brew

James Oliphant
04-06-2009, 09:57 PM
That was part of a Canadian Press game summary. The more detailed opinion pieces will appear overnight/tomorrow morning.

MUFC_Niagara
04-06-2009, 09:58 PM
We can only wish for this kind of indifference

Like I said, lets see what the editorials say about this tomorrow.

reggie
04-06-2009, 09:58 PM
a sidenote....20 arrested in DETRIOT on saturday after the MICH ST/ UCONN GAME.
i think it was a basketball game....i blame tfc detroit i think he his a member on here???

FluSH
04-06-2009, 09:59 PM
That was part of a Canadian Press game summary. The more detailed opinion pieces will appear overnight/tomorrow morning.

They better make hooligans at of these Jay fans... otherwise we are dealing with a double standard...

James Oliphant
04-06-2009, 09:59 PM
a sidenote....20 arrested in DETRIOT on saturday after the MICH ST/ UCONN GAME.
i think it was a basketball game....i blame tfc detroit i think he his a member on here???

Don't forget...UCONN is a big soccer school. Must be the hooligan influence.

CretanBull
04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
It is already in Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/614808

I'm confused, why is the headline "Lind powers Jays past Tigers" and not "Racist thugs embarass the city"?

James Oliphant
04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
They better make hooligans at of these Jay fans... otherwise we are dealing with a double standard...

I agree.

Feel free to mark this on your calendar.

Until tomorrow then, let's all relax with a nice cup of tea and reflect on how completely friggin' hot Freida Pinto is.

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 10:01 PM
I will repeat myself...

Drunk people

at a sporting event

sometimes behave badly

Baseball and Basketball too!?!

reggie
beer + baseball= sleep

wzhxvy
One other thing that is not being mentioned...no one is going to get killed by getting hit by a beer cup...a baseball from the 500 or even 200 level is a deadly projectile...I think its a huge difference.

MUFC_Niagara
After you hear all these incidents, any reasonable person will come to the logical conclusion that TFC is no different than any other sport. These types of incidents only help us make our case. We don't even need to promote it.

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
paper airplanes were also thrown according to Pat Tabler

Canadian Blue
04-06-2009, 10:04 PM
I know its mls-rumors.net........but there are 2 articles about "dry games" at BMO?

Let there be a dry game ...... it will only hurt MLSE, not my gameday experience

FluSH
04-06-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm confused, why is the headline "Lind powers Jays past Tigers" and not "Racist thugs embarass the city"?

BULLSHIT

GBV
04-06-2009, 10:05 PM
paper airplanes were also thrown according to Pat Tabler

thank goodness for flip-down glasses.

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 10:05 PM
When my wife saw this on TV just now, the first thing she said was "they're going to blame you guys"

hahahaha

...wait

James Oliphant
04-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Let there be a dry game ...... it will only hurt MLSE, not my gameday experience

Indeed. Can't recall the last time I bought a beer at BMO Field.

reggie
04-06-2009, 10:10 PM
i have not gone to jays game in 15 yrs, after seeing that display...i will never go back..
hide the women and kids,baseball is back...

James Oliphant
04-06-2009, 10:12 PM
i have not gone to jays game in 15 yrs, after seeing that display...i will never go back..
hide the women and kids,baseball is back...

I wasn't at the game, but I have it from 10-12 sources that three infants were thrown over the 500-level railing into the waiting fists of baseball hooligans.

Mars
04-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Sportscentre said two baseballs and other debris was thrown onto the field. Then joked about beer bottles being thrown, as the only way the Tigers could win (through forfeiture).

H Bomb
04-06-2009, 10:14 PM

so you want the media to be ignorant and inappropriate to everyone? that's no good dude, now you're just projecting Cathal's hate onto other people. hopefully they get the commentary correct and dont paint a group with a vague brush

reggie
04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
I wasn't at the game, but I have it from 10-12 sources that three infants were thrown over the 500-level railing into the waiting fists of baseball hooligans.
lol...maybe they also check you-tube....

nfitz
04-06-2009, 10:25 PM
http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090406.wsptjaysgamer6/GSStory/GlobeSportsBaseball/home?cid=al_gam_mostview

"During the bottom of the eighth inning, when the Blue Jays scored their final three runs, the Tigers players were ordered into their dugout after fans threw baseballs into the outfield on two separate occasions. The game was delayed for nine minutes before the umpires deemed it safe for them to return."

Baseballs being thrown at baseball games. Oh those hooligans ...

ExiledRed
04-06-2009, 10:29 PM
The concept of dry games pisses me off no end.

Back home, they banned alcohol in the stands just before I was old enough to actually drink.

After attending over a hundred games in England, it wasn't until TFC that I actually held a beer in my hands while watching a game of football.

It's still a treasured memory of mine, that game against KC, Breezing through the gate, after showing my ticket to a friendly young fox, having a piss, grabbing a beer off a vendor and waltzing to my seat, beer in hand, in a matter of minutes. Inconceivable back home. For just a short time, I was smitten by this wonderful canadian way of doing things.

Now all that is fading away like a pleasant dream you just can't remember upon waking.

Now it takes over fifteen minutes just to get through the gate, no beer vendors and one tap servicing a massive lineup of individuals who are each buying multiple beers.
But at least I can take the beer to my seat.

Fuck 'Dry games' that's the final nail in the coffin that is. An admission that we can't be better than anywhere else. For all of you who wanted it to be more like 'back home' well you got your wish, hope you like it better this way.

CretanBull
04-06-2009, 10:29 PM
so you want the media to be ignorant and inappropriate to everyone? that's no good dude, now you're just projecting Cathal's hate onto other people. hopefully they get the commentary correct and dont paint a group with a vague brush

How can you be so reasonable when a situation like this clearly calls for panic? The Hitler Youth took over the Rogers Centre and PEOPLE WERE TASERED!!

adam1001
04-06-2009, 10:33 PM
I wore my tfc jersey to the game, and wow did some of the jays fans give me sh*t. Also, i don't recall anyone throwing baseballs but the paper airplanes were flying from every section.

Roogsy
04-06-2009, 10:38 PM
I wore my tfc jersey to the game, and wow did some of the jays fans give me sh*t. Also, i don't recall anyone throwing baseballs but the paper airplanes were flying from every section.

This is what ticks me off the most. This is the environment Wheeler and Kelly have contributed to. And without good reason. Assholes.

H Bomb
04-06-2009, 10:40 PM

im interested to hear what was said to you, specifically

ExiledRed
04-06-2009, 10:42 PM

It was you wasn't it. You incited a riot!

reggie
04-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Don't worry about it,they will be back to 12000 old farts at the game tomorrow...

cmonyoureds
04-06-2009, 10:46 PM
who wants to volunteer to call McCown tomorrow and ask him to discuss the incident on his round table? I'm certainly gonna try to get through........

Pigfynn
04-06-2009, 10:48 PM
It was you wasn't it. You incited a riot!

This is it, isn't it?

There is an environment now where wherever you go while wearing the TFC shirt you are representing what the team's supporters are and what the team's supporters are right now, according to the Toronto press is a
bunch of________________________________!

SAD

James Oliphant

Not gonna answer for FluSH here, but since I agreed with him...

What I want is some sort of a level playing field. Obviously I'd rather not see anyone skewered in the manner we were, but since we were, then the same standard needs to be applied to fans of all sports if this type of reporting is to be considered anywhere near "fair".

Either no one gets the shitty, biased, hyperbolic treatment we received last week or everyone does. Anything else is a double-standard.

Fushida
I was at the game.. saw the first paper airplane (good work whoever made it, at least it made it past the foul line :rolleyes:) from the section right next to me. Then everyone decided it was the cool thing to do and there were literally at least 10 of those flying around within the next 5 minutes from around me. Ridiculous behaviour by (from what I saw) a bunch of kids who drank too much for their own good. I had 4 people ejected from my section for throwing shit, one actually hit the guy sitting right in front of me with a paper airplane made of his/her ticket (whoever's in 513, row 24 seat 2, you're an idiot :D). There were cops on the 500 level too when some fans (either jays or tigers) started arguing or something and refused to leave.

A guy wearing the TFC training jacket got onto the big screen though, props to him :canada::canada:

SweetOwnGoal
04-06-2009, 10:55 PM

We asked Paul B about the possibility of dry games at BMO this year. He replied "I can't talk about it but we're working on it."

So it isn't rumour. There is something at play (I'd imagine that that's where MLS-Rumors got its tip from...)

BuSaPuNk
04-06-2009, 11:00 PM
This wasn't a dry game there was a picture of a bunch of lads with beers before the game. This isn't going to be a big front page story as our trip to Columbus was. Is it a anti-soccer campain in the media? I sure think so. There going to make excuses and down play this as much as possible....and it's a fucking joke. Where is the integraty of the writers and editors and managers at the Sun and Star? Pure fucking anti-soccer retoric. Fuck the Sun. Fuck the Star. Fuck the Toronto media. Get over it your oldage sports in baseball and hockey can't get the support a foreign sport can, and it scares the hell out of them.

H Bomb
04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
. Obviously I'd rather not see anyone skewered in the manner we were, but since we were, then the same standard needs to be applied to fans of all sports if this type of reporting is to be considered anywhere near "fair".

Either no one gets the shitty, biased, hyperbolic treatment we received last week or everyone does. Anything else is a double-standard.

so since we've suffered, everyone else must suffer or else it isn't fair? This is a very very strange thing to think. You want innocents to be punished because you were, and I very much hope this is not the party line

bhoybobby
04-06-2009, 11:06 PM
The concept of dry games pisses me off no end.

Back home, they banned alcohol in the stands just before I was old enough to actually drink.

After attending over a hundred games in England, it wasn't until TFC that I actually held a beer in my hands while watching a game of football.

It's still a treasured memory of mine, that game against KC, Breezing through the gate, after showing my ticket to a friendly young fox, having a piss, grabbing a beer off a vendor and waltzing to my seat, beer in hand, in a matter of minutes. Inconceivable back home. For just a short time, I was smitten by this wonderful canadian way of doing things.

Now all that is fading away like a pleasant dream you just can't remember upon waking.

Now it takes over fifteen minutes just to get through the gate, no beer vendors and one tap servicing a massive lineup of individuals who are each buying multiple beers.
But at least I can take the beer to my seat.

Fuck 'Dry games' that's the final nail in the coffin that is. An admission that we can't be better than anywhere else. For all of you who wanted it to be more like 'back home' well you got your wish, hope you like it better this way.

If we play like we did on Saturday I may have to resort to a mickey of scotch for medicinal purposes:drinking:

Sonny Cheeba
04-06-2009, 11:23 PM
i saw quite a few TFC supporters there tonight, and was happy to see that... i was the only one in an RPB scarf from what i could see.

glad to say i threw nothing.

people were throwing all kinds of shit. a couple of baseballs near the outfiled, and a bunch of paper airplanes from the 500 level.

a beer was thrown near me, and during the 10 minutes or so that the tigers were off, hot dogs and shit ended up in the outfield.

it was annoying. WE were winning. i don't get it.

Roogsy
04-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Has Toronto been overrun by idiots???

We are truly beginning to look bad in front of other audiences. Just what the hell is happening here?

the-lower-eastsider
04-06-2009, 11:27 PM
wow. this thread is lightin up like a christmas tree.
look, i ve spent the last few days (if not the better part of the last 2+ years) defending our guys (all of the supporter groups) to co-workers, family members, customers, etc, EVERYBODY! and then this. what happened tonight was beautiful. sad to say, but i smiled like the cheshire cat in my lazy-boy while i was watching it unfold. not because it was right, because it most certainly wasnt. it was embarrasing and deplorable. but it was beautiful because all i could think of how this was an example of what weve been sayin all along (with apologies to steven brunt). that were not the only ones in town that get drinkin and rowdy at a game and cause some shit. but somehow, over and over, we get portrayed in the media as "hooligans" (with the notable exception of steven brunt of the globe - and kudos to him for that) as the only troublemakers in town. maybe this will make some people sit up and take notice. maybe this isnt a "soccer" thing after all. the live call in shows should be crackling tomorrow.
busapunk nailed it. theyre all scared of this "soccer" thing taking hold over here on this side of the pond and threatening their traditional north american old school sports.

maj. douchebag

flatpicker
04-06-2009, 11:31 PM

We are truly beginning to look bad in front of other audiences. Just what the hell is happening here?

it's the beginning of an uprising!

too many years of Toronto teams sucking ass!

Torontonians are starting to awaken from their years of numbness.

The revolution has begun!

cmonyoureds
04-06-2009, 11:31 PM

I believe the Blue Jays "firm" is calling us out. Anything you can do, we can do better. LOL

Seriously, ever read the research that shows when reporting on teen suicide goes up, so do teen suicide statistics in the following months/year? (not that I'm comparing the two whatsoever, merely the reporting side of it)

Azerban
04-07-2009, 12:06 AM
so since we've suffered, everyone else must suffer or else it isn't fair? This is a very very strange thing to think. You want innocents to be punished because you were, and I very much hope this is not the party line

there is nothing wrong with desiring consistency

H Bomb
04-07-2009, 12:11 AM
but only for the good...to be consistently bad doesnt help anyone or anything

dantdot
04-07-2009, 12:15 AM
I believe the Blue Jays "firm" is calling us out. Anything you can do, we can do better. LOL

We'll have to settle this with a game of soccer-baseball.

James Oliphant
04-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Sure it does, in this case. It takes away from the negative impact on our team's and sport's reputation. Keep the yellow journalism flowing, boys! So long as you're equal-opportunity offenders, people will catch wind of your bullshit and begin to tune you out.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
04-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Yes! =d

the-lower-eastsider
04-07-2009, 12:17 AM
i few years ago (not many at all) i was at the home opener where some douchebag in the jays FO thought it would be a good idea to hand out fridge magnets (like the ones handed out at BMO AFTER the match on sat) to thousands of fans prior to the game. big mistake. thousands, and i mean thousands of jays fans whipped these fuckin things all over the place (mostly on the field) off and on for innings. thrown hard enough, these projectiles could do some damage and more than likely did. but did the media portray them as hooligans? nope. that only applies to us. maybe i'm wrong but i'd rather take a beer cup to the head rather than a fridge magnet. but WE'RE the bad guys. right...
do jays fans do this every year? seems like they do but i dunno, i dont follow them very closely.
and who came up with this paper plane thing? wtf is up with that? just another stupid tradition down at the old toilet bowl.
and where were the fun police during all this? last time i went to a jay game u cant fart without gettin told to keep quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sei-eEjy4g

maj. douchebag

ginkster88
04-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Of the people in attendance last night, 65% of them were there to catch foul balls or home runs and do the wave. It's little wonder that they got excited about a paper airplane competition.

kodiakTFC
04-07-2009, 01:34 AM
Of the people in attendance last night, 65% of them were there to catch foul balls or home runs and do the wave. It's little wonder that they got excited about a paper airplane competition.

When I was in high school we would get a group of 10 of us together, get really drunk and go to the blue jays home opener. We always had a blast that we started going to a lot of the two dollar tuesday games as well but as TFC came in my interest for baseball has faded.

Point of this post, a lot of people go to get drunk.

ilikemusic
04-07-2009, 03:36 AM

I think this is a legitimate observation and to be honest, I think its a result of the shitty performance of the teams over the past couple years. General fan apathy. People go to the games, but they dont really care. Theyre just there for a laugh, they dont care too much about the product.

King Jeff
04-07-2009, 05:09 AM
For what it's worth, 680 News' story on the Jays' incident started with a reference to Columbus and quote, "well, that's soccer"

denime
04-07-2009, 05:39 AM
Fan throws ball, Tigers leave field
Morgan Campbell

Be the first to comment on this article... (http://www.thestar.com/Article/614872#Comments)

Throughout last night's Blue Jays game a few stray paper planes fluttered from the stands onto the field and the Roger Centre's grounds crew scooped them up before players or officials could complain.
But in the Jays' half of the eighth inning, a fan tossed a baseball that nearly hit Tigers left fielder Josh Anderson. Quickly, he and his teammates trotted off the field and into their dugout, where they remained for nine minutes.

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/Article/614872)

Pookie
04-07-2009, 07:24 AM
You can point out the hypocrisy as much as you want but that won't change opinions. I'm sure that this "incident" didn't generate any press at all:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTJWnvaPF3A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTJWnvaPF3A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's just accepted that fans get unruly at hockey games.

While it feels personal, ultimately we will fade into the background and replaced by the next sensational story of the day.

Lucky Strike
04-07-2009, 07:28 AM
There was a blurb about the incident on TSN, but nothing compared to the inundation of long-winded articles (properly sourced and otherwise) we were subjected to.

GBV
04-07-2009, 07:55 AM
given it happened in the eighth inning, i'd guess there's a chance it gets some column-style coverage tomorrow.

Oblio2
04-07-2009, 08:09 AM
My friend was there last night and told me, apart form seeing people throw baseballs, garbage, food and paper airplanes at players, there were fights in the stands with drunken fans.
Yet, I see nothing in the Sun

GabrielHurl
04-07-2009, 08:22 AM
I was at the game last night - 2 sections away from where the baseballs, coke bottles, hot dogs, paper planes were thrown.

No doubt it'll be put down to "the opening day game experience"

Double standards - and utter hypocrisy by the Toronto media

arbogast
04-07-2009, 08:43 AM
It was just on the Fan 590 and people who called and who were at the game, all talked about witnesing fights at the game, people tossing stuff at the players and poor security. BTW my comments on the Star's double standard didn't get past the moderator.

GabrielHurl
04-07-2009, 08:44 AM
at least the Star mentioned it

Wagner
04-07-2009, 08:46 AM
My friend was there last night and told me, apart form seeing people throw baseballs, garbage, food and paper airplanes at players, there were fights in the stands with drunken fans.
Yet, I see nothing in the Sun

i was in the cheapseats last nite...
nuff fights.
at least one per section around me.

Inswingingwingman
04-07-2009, 08:46 AM
The MOST important thing for TFC fans to remember is this:
1. The drinking police are all powerful. No need to even have evidence. One of my clients had an officer say he saw, at 100 feet, in the dark, a person smoking a joint. In a doorway to a bar. 30 day suspension, they were told at the hearing it would be 60 if the fought it.
2. The new liquor licence Act has a provision that if the licence holder permits violent behaviour in the vicinity of the premises, they can lose their licence. The intent is to stop bars from booting out 2 groups who are fighting and the fight carries on outside. You have to clear the first group before the 2nd. I asked at what distance and they said, oh at least a city block, if they came from there you are responsible. Horse Hockey Pucks!

I blame it on th economics. Everyone is frustrated and they want to vent. Or it's a trend. I co-teach a course called Safer Bars from the Canadian mental health assoc. Licence holders are being targeted if they have 2 incidents. More enforcement. Some huge double standards though, a bar I know of had 3 fights over 8 months and the licence was pulled. I bet there are 3 fights a week at the ACC, but they got 3 days.

The security situation at BMO field must be a nightmare. Officially you have to document in a logbook every incident, heck I have some bars where there is a hard bound log book with numbered pages and every person turned away for ID, everyone escorted out, or who causes trouble has to be logged to show due diligence.

So remember before you start something, you might end up hurting every other fan if you cause a fight, or fall down drunk. How they think this can be policed by a licence holder mystifies me. Students are know to sit in a car, bang back a 26er, walk in, get one beer and pass out on the floor. Soon you are going to have to blow to get a beer!

The crazy thing is that the economics of suspending the liquor licence at the ACC results in a HUGE loss of income for the province, in some vague way of punishing the establishment. Reminds me of the old story, "But your honour, I don't think hanging me for stealing a horse is the right sentance." The judge says, "I'm not hanging you for stealing the horse, I'm hanging you so someone else thinks twice before doing the same thing."

billyfly
04-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Mike Hogan on the Fan590 started his show today by saying that the happiest people in Toronto about the Blue Jay fights were TFC fans since it takes the spotlight away from us.

Carter
04-07-2009, 08:51 AM
only on the mike hogan show.

arbogast
04-07-2009, 08:55 AM
only on the mike hogan show.

To Hogan's credit since the top of the show, he's still taking calls and he's keeping the discussion focused on the incednets at the jays game.

Inswingingwingman
04-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I see there is no beer tonight at the Rogers Center. The bad boys must have sold 2 beers to a 19 year old who shared with his cuzzin.

The people who have to drive changes to this crazy Alcohol and Gaming Commissions powers have to be the influential who tell the Minister to stop the nonsense and bring the Act into the current century.

So cut the licence, lose 4 or 5000 at the gate, and the revenue from the taxes. Lets see, the harmonized pst would amount to ...plus the taxes on beer and hats and hot dogs. Oh, the promotion is $1 hot dogs to get you to go....

Suds
04-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Mike Hogan on the Fan590 started his show today by saying that the happiest people in Toronto about the Blue Jay fights were TFC fans since it takes the spotlight away from us.

as I said in my earlier post ... any reference to whatever happened at the Jays game would somehow bring TFC fans into it ..

billyfly
04-07-2009, 08:57 AM
^Yup.

ilikemusic
04-07-2009, 09:10 AM
You can point out the hypocrisy as much as you want but that won't change opinions. I'm sure that this "incident" didn't generate any press at all:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTJWnvaPF3A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTJWnvaPF3A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's just accepted that fans get unruly at hockey games.

While it feels personal, ultimately we will fade into the background and replaced by the next sensational story of the day.

:lol:

Its hilarious that people still attempt to fight in public places like that.

They have no idea how stupid they look. I love all the people you can hear on camera laughing their asses off but to the couple of drunken louts their stupid fight is deadly serious.

And I would really like to know when Jays games became 'the thing to do' for young, testosterone fueled, drunken imbeciles.

The Jays were my Grandma's team.

tfc007
04-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Lets face it these journalists hate soccer,but I bet you they are huge baseball fans.I just could see the papers next day after the jays home opener,It will say something like this "Kelly caught Giving Blow Jobs In Locker Room Of Toronto BLOW Jays "

eustacchio
04-07-2009, 09:27 AM

I have to ask (and maybe it has already been answered - sorry, if I missed it), did they give you shit because you were a "TFC hooligan" or because you were wearing a TFC jersey to a Blue Jays game? I'm pretty sure that people wearing Blue Jays jerseys to a TFC match would be heckled too.

Whoop
04-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Reading some posts... some of you guys are just feeding into their hands with your posts in a PUBLIC forum.

Think before you post.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Surely there's a way to get numbers on arrests at these public events. I'd be curious as to compare arrest numbers between events at BMO, ACC, Rogers Centre and say Ivor Wynne.

Anyone know if these are publicly accessible? Just curious…

Sullivan
04-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm not posting this to have a go at anyone here and I'm certainly not looking to wind anyone up either. I'm pee-ooo'd at being labeled/branded with that narrow minded media brush too.

Ya it's a double standard.

So do something about it, but stop the whining.

The soccer community has proven that it can take swift action and mobilize with a united front.

So call the media out.

Stop buying papers; stop clicking the links; stop watching the poker channels; start sending emails to the advertisers, let them know that their choice of advertising is costing them your money that you won't spend on their products/services.

Boycott the media - boycott the advertisers - PIZZA PIZZA, Mr Sub or Moore's or where ever. Pick a media outlet - organize a protest demonstration.
i.e. Rogers owns Sportsnet - dump anything/everything related to Rogers. Cell, internet, local video store, change cable providers, whatever, but let them know that their "media personalities" sh!tting all over football has to end.

FACT: FOOTBALL is the NUMBER 1 participation sport in Canada! Not hockey; Not baseball ....
FACT: Because of the self indulgent politics and ineptitude of local, regional and national football administrators, Football is nothing more than a niche sport here in Canada.

I'm not wrong here!

And it's not the media's fault that football is confined to niche market status.

It's the indifference and lack of action by a collective and unified football population that is at fault.

You can't just support TFC and expect credability.

More people need to get involved in youth and grassroots football and help it grow out of the niche market and into the mainstream market.

And in case you haven't noticed, the CSA isn't capable of this - and since majority of us are here in Ontario - neither is the OSA. And lets acknowledge that its the CSA/OSA bureaucrats that should shoulder the blame for the game's lack of mainstream development and growth over the past 20+ years. The leadership just isn't there.

Face it, change will only occur from the bottom up. All it takes is for each of us to take action and spread the word.

But lets stop the whining about the media; it is what it is until there's reason for change.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
04-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm not posting this to have a go at anyone here and I'm certainly not looking to wind anyone up either. I'm pee-ooo'd at being labeled/branded with that narrow minded media brush too.

Ya it's a double standard.

So do something about it, but stop the whining.

The soccer community has proven that it can take swift action and mobilize with a united front.

So call the media out.

Stop buying papers; stop clicking the links; stop watching the poker channels; start sending emails to the advertisers, let them know that their choice of advertising is costing them your money that you won't spend on their products/services.

Boycott the media - boycott the advertisers - PIZZA PIZZA, Mr Sub or Moore's or where ever. Pick a media outlet - organize a protest demonstration.
i.e. Rogers owns Sportsnet - dump anything/everything related to Rogers. Cell, internet, local video store, change cable providers, whatever, but let them know that their "media personalities" sh!tting all over football has to end.

FACT: FOOTBALL is the NUMBER 1 participation sport in Canada! Not hockey; Not baseball ....
FACT: Because of the self indulgent politics and ineptitude of local, regional and national football administrators, Football is nothing more than a niche sport here in Canada.

I'm not wrong here!

And it's not the media's fault that football is confined to niche market status.

It's the indifference and lack of action by a collective and unified football population that is at fault.

You can't just support TFC and expect credability.

More people need to get involved in youth and grassroots football and help it grow out of the niche market and into the mainstream market.

And in case you haven't noticed, the CSA isn't capable of this - and since majority of us are here in Ontario - neither is the OSA. And lets acknowledge that its the CSA/OSA bureaucrats that should shoulder the blame for the game's lack of mainstream development and growth over the past 20+ years. The leadership just isn't there.

Face it, change will only occur from the bottom up. All it takes is for each of us to take action and spread the word.

But lets stop the whining about the media; it is what it is until there's reason for change.

+1 i have been preaching this for quite some time. But good luck getting anyone to listen here. They are all talk. In the end most of the people on here go back to there day jobs and families and people like you and me just get more frustrated and go on long rants like the one above^. HM so i say, fuck em :D

denime
04-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Fuck who ,Media or OSA/CSA ?:noidea:

Sullivan
04-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Fuck who ,Media or OSA/CSA ?:noidea:

There's a difference....????

Sullivan
04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
+1 i have been preaching this for quite some time. But good luck getting anyone to listen here. They are all talk. In the end most of the people on here go back to there day jobs and families and people like you and me just get more frustrated and go on long rants like the one above^. HM so i say, fuck em :D

Gotta start somewhere.

I do ok without Rogers services or products - had fun cancelling and terminating the services to. Was offered 3 free months of internet access to not cancel.

Get In There
04-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Ah, while the universe is so beautifully unique, it is also mind numbingly predictable.

Hey, give credit to anyone willing to eat a bit of crow today (ie: hogan) - the ones who were genuine in their unhappiness with what happens with beer fueled fans will develop a balance in their view.

To TFC supporters - Karma is a beautiful thing.

HEY KELLY

People are people

And doesn't that just piss you off............the cakers let you down last night

Time to end your little emulation of John Stewart Mill in the press. You're too self centered to add anything to the conversation.

Time to go, I'm off to play an extremely entertaining game of pushpin - sorry, I'll be missing the opera this week.

Kelly, PS - sorry, music lyric warnings have already been done

B

Roogsy
04-07-2009, 11:11 AM

Vocalizing our disatisfaction is exactly what results in action. When people realize there are others who feel the same way, they are more likely to coordinate and take action.

So in other words, without the "whining" there is no "mobilization".

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want people to shut up, then don't expect any action to be taken. We either take it sitting down or we stand up for ourselves. Standing up includes verbalizing our disatisfaction.

Sullivan
04-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Standing up includes verbalizing our disatisfaction.

You're correct.

But continuing to speak and not act = whining.

Roogsy
04-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree.

But believe me, there is action happening. Sometimes it's just not obvious.

Sonny Cheeba
04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
that bowtie guy on CP24 was talking to ICE COLD BEER guy a few minutes ago.... they'll be on again.

i just caught the end of it, but ice cold beer guy was saying "how do we know it was beer that caused it?" which is true, but the likeliness that it wasn't tied to alcohol isn't very.

"soccer" was mentioned but they didn't go anywhere with that discussion as of yet.

Roogsy
04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Willllllll! Represent!

Phil
04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
You're correct.

But continuing to speak and not act = whining.

Its only been 14 hours since the end of the game, lets be realistic about timelines, actions and the information flow of what really happened.

Sonny Cheeba
04-07-2009, 11:46 AM
they're on CP24 again.

talking about soccer now.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
that bowtie guy on CP24 was talking to ICE COLD BEER guy a few minutes ago.... they'll be on again.

i just caught the end of it, but ice cold beer guy was saying "how do we know it was beer that caused it?" which is true, but the likeliness that it wasn't tied to alcohol isn't very.

"soccer" was mentioned but they didn't go anywhere with that discussion as of yet.

I think it is truly wonderful and progressive that they give the bowtie guy his own show. I mean, I can't recall a single instance of a guy with Down's Syndrome having his own show since Corky went off the air, and this guy is MUCH more afflicted than Corky. Good for CP24. They ought to win an award for their bravery.

Sonny Cheeba
04-07-2009, 11:56 AM
you just made my day.

Pookie
04-07-2009, 12:23 PM

Its hilarious that people still attempt to fight in public places like that.
They have no idea how stupid they look.

I think the guy in the "Belfour" Jersey is even funnier... considering that the game was played a few weeks ago.

And I would really like to know when Jays games became 'the thing to do' for young, testosterone fueled, drunken imbeciles.

Sadly, I think there is a correlation between the cost of admission and the actions of some fans.

What's a 500 level ticket worth? $5.

You generally don't see people chucking knuckles in the $210, "In the Action" seats.

nfitz
04-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Someone I know at the Jays game last night commented that up in the 500s, that there seemed to be an oversupply of vendors in the stands selling beer - and frustratingly none carrying food ... as if they were trying to make up for the money they would be losing from tonight's dry night!

Pookie
04-07-2009, 12:38 PM
The other thing that society needs to do is accept some facts.

- the majority of people attending live sporting events are under 35 and male
- the majority of violent crimes committed in our society are by males under 30

This stuff is going to happen. It doesn't excuse it but to paint it as new or unique to a certain sport is ridiculous.

The 1955 Riot in Montreal after Maurice Richard was suspended wasn't the first one. The 2008 Riot last year in Montreal won't be the last one.

Are all hockey fans idiots? No. Vast majority are there for the game and can keep their passions in check.

Were there idiots that started the riot? Yep. Focus on them. Punish them.

... and get ready to punish the next group that wins a championship.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm going to use this thread to bash one of my favourite, largest and most-deserving targets: Rob "Cheeseburger" Ford.

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=91&pictureid=671

Anyone else remember when Cheeseburger went to a Leafs game a few years ago and got hammered and then started screaming and trying to fight people around him and was ultimately tossed by ACC security, and the next day he lied to the media and said he wasn't at the game until he was confronted with some of his business cards that he had given out to the various people he was trying to beat up (none of whom, that night, apparently, were his wife)?

I can't help but think that if a footy-minded councillor had done the same thing at a TFC game the media would have treated it as another sign that football breeds hooligans.

Yes, yes ... I know it was a bit of s t r e t c h, but it is ostensibly on topic and surely fair comment. ;)

Chevy
04-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Would never happen. Rob Ford is a Crew fan.

Sonny Cheeba
04-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Someone I know at the Jays game last night commented that up in the 500s, that there seemed to be an oversupply of vendors in the stands selling beer - and frustratingly none carrying food ... as if they were trying to make up for the money they would be losing from tonight's dry night!

not where i was. i didn't see one single beer guy the whole game. the lineups were crazy.

actually i didn't see any vendors in the sections around me.

i saw a few in the 500 level seats behind home plate, but most were down in the 100s.

nfitz
04-07-2009, 01:11 PM
not where i was. i didn't see one single beer guy the whole game. the lineups were crazy.Oh well, all the best conspiracies can normally be explained by simple incompetence. Opening night newbies ... hmm, where have we seen that before.

adam1001
04-07-2009, 03:11 PM
I have to ask (and maybe it has already been answered - sorry, if I missed it), did they give you shit because you were a "TFC hooligan" or because you were wearing a TFC jersey to a Blue Jays game? I'm pretty sure that people wearing Blue Jays jerseys to a TFC match would be heckled too.

im interested to hear what was said to you, specifically

Apart from 1 guy yelling "Hooligan!!!" from across the concourse, most people were saying "BMO is down the street, get the hell outta here!" and stuff like that. Really didnt bother me, and most were just joking (i think lol). I did see a lot of tfc fans though, so that was great.

Roogsy
04-07-2009, 05:04 PM
How do you like my comment in today's Jays star article?

I don't feel safe taking my kids to a Blue Jays game

All this violent behaviour, I don't want to take my child into that environment, who knows what will happen.

ilikemusic
04-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Sadly, I think there is a correlation between the cost of admission and the actions of some fans.

What's a 500 level ticket worth? $5.

You generally don't see people chucking knuckles in the $210, "In the Action" seats.

Ya, but Jays tickets in the 500 level didnt just become cheap in the last couple years. Theyve always been inexpensive.

Rhapido
04-07-2009, 08:46 PM
I think it is truly wonderful and progressive that they give the bowtie guy his own show. I mean, I can't recall a single instance of a guy with Down's Syndrome having his own show since Corky went off the air, and this guy is MUCH more afflicted than Corky. Good for CP24. They ought to win an award for their bravery.

Is this a joke?

tim90
04-09-2009, 05:03 PM
who is toronto fc media intren email

mike_bouma
04-09-2009, 05:19 PM
tttttttiiiiiimmmmmmm90!

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Is this a joke?

Yes, Stephen LeDrew is pretty much a walking (semi) talking punchline, but only to those inexperienced enough with Down's Syndrome to not recognize its varied manifestations. To us select few who recognize the tremendous challenges he has overcome, he is truly a hero.

:hump: