PDA

View Full Version : Ljungberg on TFC Fans..."They're Not Arseholes"

ensco
04-06-2009, 10:52 AM
From Jeff Blair's baseball column, you have to scroll down a bit....

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090405.wsptblair6/GSStory/GlobeSportsBaseball/home

Blair doesn't think much of Vitti, so far

Heathen
04-06-2009, 10:57 AM
How dare he, now I'm really offended

Shaughno
"You're better than Beckham, STAY!" :lol:

Kickit09
"When I came off the pitch, some of them [fans] were yelling 'You're better than Beckham! Stay!' They were not — how do you say? — arseholes there."

i guess he didn't hear what i was yelling at him.

Parkdale
04-06-2009, 11:02 AM
If you're a pro player, you need to accept that it comes with the job.
We heckled him, and he scored. That's what a DP striker should do.

bee dubya
04-06-2009, 11:11 AM
I think he'll also come to appreciate playing somewhere like Toronto where there's a sold out and enthusiastic crowd. Right now, he's only seen Seattle and Toronto. Wait until he's gone round the league once on a road trip and he'll probably like Toronto even more.

Parkdale
04-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Wait until he's gone round the league once on a road trip and he'll probably like Toronto even more.

hahahah

I picture him clicking his ruby red cleats together saying There's no place like home

Marc"2L"
04-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Really? I'm sure the second half gave him a glimpse of what it's like in a somewhat empty stadium.

yellowfellow
04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Really? I'm sure the second half gave him a glimpse of what it's like in a somewhat empty stadium.

you mean, an empty baseball stadium. :D:D

bhoybobby
04-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I think he'll also come to appreciate playing somewhere like Toronto where there's a sold out and enthusiastic crowd. Right now, he's only seen Seattle and Toronto. Wait until he's gone round the league once on a road trip and he'll probably like Toronto even more.

He'll really appreciate it, if we bend over for him like that every time he comes, any half decent sweeper would've read that 1st goal:noidea:

O_B_ONE
04-06-2009, 12:23 PM
I met Ljungberg at Muzik Nightclub on Saturday nite in the VIP. Seemed like a pretty solid cat. Chatted about his Gunner days. He said he loved the atmosphere at BMO and hopes that our passion rubs off on the rest of the league.

I'm sure he's been told about the rest of the stadiums that he'll be visiting!

dantdot
04-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Hey! I don't resemble that remark.

ensco
04-06-2009, 12:48 PM
What I want to know is, who besides Freddy has used the word "arsehole" since WW2?

Guy must watch a lot of Jimmy Cagney movies.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Jeff Blair:

Sorry, but it looked suspiciously like wheat from chaff stuff at BMO Field on Saturday. Until evidence presents itself, I'm going to continue to suspect Pablo Vitti brings all the negatives you find in a third-tier South American player. And TFC needs to do better at centre-half. I want somebody with a bit of command. But know this: The Sounders are a welcomed addition to Major League Soccer and so is Freddie Ljungberg, who scored the Sounders' first goal and provided what few minutes of quality there was on the pitch. "I thought the atmosphere was great," said Ljungberg, the Swedish international who has played at Arsenal and who said he didn't mind the odd beer shower. "When I came off the pitch, some of them [fans] were yelling 'You're better than Beckham! Stay!' They were not — how do you say? — arseholes there."

I gotta say, when I heard Freddie was coming as a DP , I laughed. But he really put on a show Saturday and looked the Ljungberg of old. The way he dragged Serioux around the park was a real treat to watch. I can't honestly remember seeing a forward in this league having a CB in his back pocket like that. Serioux covered a lot of ground, mostly chasing a shadow…the way Freddie blew by him on that first goal…brilliant.

Hope Serioux learned something…

And to the clown who threw the beer at Freddie, your a classless prick! I hope you got done…

J .
04-06-2009, 01:31 PM
"I thought the atmosphere was great," said Ljungberg, the Swedish international who has played at Arsenal and who said he didn't mind the odd beer shower. "When I came off the pitch, some of them [fans] were yelling 'You're better than Beckham! Stay!' They were not — how do you say? — arseholes there." …

*Sniff* an athlete who gets the beer shower.

really, isnt throwing a $12 beer at someone the ultimate form of respect... I am so mad at you, I will shower you with liquid gold... ;P

cmonyoureds
04-06-2009, 01:35 PM
hmm, wonder if Bill Archer et al have read this particular interview??????
I thought the guy was absolute class on Saturday, both in play and attitude.

kodiakTFC
04-06-2009, 02:01 PM
I hope he remains healthy and has a long stay in MLS. We need more young(er) stars like him coming over while they still have something left in the tank.

C.Ronaldo
04-06-2009, 02:06 PM
^ he had surgery at the end of his career, he doesnt have much left in the tank. (but has plenty for this league)

ExiledRed
04-06-2009, 02:11 PM
What I want to know is, who besides Freddy has used the word "arsehole" since WW2?

me and about 60 million others I can think of.

jloome
04-06-2009, 03:41 PM

Guy must watch a lot of Jimmy Cagney movies.

Everyone in england, where it is commonplace. They don't use "asshole" there, they use "arsehole."

jloome
04-06-2009, 03:44 PM
the way Freddie blew by him on that first goal…brilliant.

Hope Serioux learned something…

You're kidding, right? It was a basic one-touch give and go, and Serioux LET HIM GO, he didn't even try to cover him. It was a monumental defensive fuck up, not some piece of brilliance. Christ, high school defenders are taught to pick up their man on a give and go.

There's no doubting how well he played, but given the almost identical team-versus-team statistics, it's fairly obvious this game was at least as much about TFC playing like garbage as Seattle playing well. In fact, I'd say they were competent and professional, but nothing spectacular at all.

We just sucked. Horribly.

ensco
04-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Everyone in england, where it is commonplace. They don't use "asshole" there, they use "arsehole."

OK I stand corrected. No offence intended. Sounded old fashioned to me.

CretanBull
04-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Wouldn't "We're Not Arseholes" make for a great banner? :D

jloome
04-06-2009, 09:13 PM

Nyuk nyuk

Toronto_Bhoy
04-06-2009, 09:57 PM
We didn’t just suck, jloome…we were picked apart.

And I didn't say it was brilliance…I said it was brilliant.

If you watch the game (again) you'll see Freddie did it five or six times against Serioux. He was totally clueless! Half the time he doesn’t even realize where he is on the pitch!

Your thread “Tactical Consistency” is what it’s all about…and Sigi knows it! Its not just your own set up…it’s who your setting it up against.

As I stated here after watching Seattle in their first two games, Sigi has built THIS team for THIS league. He has now “carved up” three back lines and even Saturday without his top goal scorer it didn’t matter because their movement off the ball was absolutely…brill…errrr…magic! Quick give and go passes, two touch turns, passing into space not feet and almost everything on the deck…right from the opening whistle. He played to TFC's weakness and to the conditions. Serioux chased Freddie's shadow until he went off. When I watched the game the second time I didn’t even look at TFC. In the first two games Seattle has left CD's standing exactly like Adrian was on Saturday…that’s not a mistake.

Sigi gets it, this team is for real.

Roogsy
04-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I think Sigi has proven he is a very good coach.

Whoop
04-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Sigi for the Canadian MNT!

Toronto_Bhoy
04-06-2009, 11:09 PM
I think Sigi has proven he is a very good coach.

Yeah, Roogsy, when I looked at his record what really impressed me is his dedication to the domestic game, NCAA, USMNT (U19 and Senior squads) and the MLS.

I think in order to win in this league, you need to do it on the backs of domestic players with a touch of foreign flare...the salary cap pretty much dictates that.

Whoop
04-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah, Roogsy, when I looked at his record what really impressed me is his dedication to the domestic game, NCAA, USMNT (U19 and Senior squads) and the MLS.

I think in order to win in this league, you need to do it on the backs of domestic players with a touch of foreign flare...the salary cap pretty much dictates that.

Look at the rosters for the Houston Dynamo and the New England Revolution over the last few years. 95-98% American.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-07-2009, 12:06 AM
…and their records ain't to shabby!

Blizzard
04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
You're kidding, right? It was a basic one-touch give and go, and Serioux LET HIM GO, he didn't even try to cover him. It was a monumental defensive fuck up, not some piece of brilliance. Christ, high school defenders are taught to pick up their man on a give and go.

There's no doubting how well he played, but given the almost identical team-versus-team statistics, it's fairly obvious this game was at least as much about TFC playing like garbage as Seattle playing well. In fact, I'd say they were competent and professional, but nothing spectacular at all.

We just sucked. Horribly.

Yup. Adrian bit. He stopped moving on the first pass and was ten feet behind on the return.

Harmse almost got his foot on the pass (to my eye) but the fault was all Adrian's. Adrian will be ok but that play reminded me of something Julius James would have done.

B

Detroit_TFC
04-07-2009, 03:32 PM

Yes, yet another banner that will give those delicate ladies in Columbus the vapors. :thumbsup:

jloome
04-07-2009, 05:24 PM
We didn’t just suck, jloome…we were picked apart.

And I didn't say it was brilliance…I said it was brilliant.

If you watch the game (again) you'll see Freddie did it five or six times against Serioux. He was totally clueless! Half the time he doesn’t even realize where he is on the pitch!

Your thread “Tactical Consistency” is what it’s all about…and Sigi knows it! Its not just your own set up…it’s who your setting it up against.

As I stated here after watching Seattle in their first two games, Sigi has built THIS team for THIS league. He has now “carved up” three back lines and even Saturday without his top goal scorer it didn’t matter because their movement off the ball was absolutely…brill…errrr…magic! Quick give and go passes, two touch turns, passing into space not feet and almost everything on the deck…right from the opening whistle. He played to TFC's weakness and to the conditions. Serioux chased Freddie's shadow until he went off. When I watched the game the second time I didn’t even look at TFC. In the first two games Seattle has left CD's standing exactly like Adrian was on Saturday…that’s not a mistake.

Sigi gets it, this team is for real.

Again, as much as i agree that they're a good team and Schmidt a good coach, the stats don't bare out that they've "carved up" their opponents.

What they've done is display the kind of tactical consistency, effort and drive that EVERY professional team at this level should show. The point on Serioux is important: a mistake like that at League One level or above in England and you might never see the field as a started again.

But in MLS, it's par for the course for two-thirds of the league to not meet those basic tests.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Again, as much as i agree that they're a good team and Schmidt a good coach, the stats don't bare out that they've "carved up" their opponents.

Just to close the loop on this, I never said anything about the "stats", I was speaking about their performances and the tactics employed in the three games I witnessed that the Sounders have played thus far. They shredded the Red Bull back line and should have won by 5 or 6. Same with Real Salt Lake. Your right the "stats" don't bare out the carving they have given their first three opponents those stats/results should be double!

IMO, your entitled to yours...

brad
04-08-2009, 08:24 AM

What they've done is display the kind of tactical consistency, effort and drive that EVERY professional team at this level should show. The point on Serioux is important: a mistake like that at League One level or above in England and you might never see the field as a started again.

But in MLS, it's par for the course for two-thirds of the league to not meet those basic tests.

This whole post is key. Sigi is the reason this team is playing so well. He took a very average Columbus side and did the same thing. He got them playing very simple, basic football and it worked. Seattle look to be doing the same.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Seattle for real!?

Maybe....I don't buy into yet...

Remeber we went on a 5/6 game unbeaten streak last year...It doesn't me squat for Seattle yet...

I think the house of cards will come crashing down once they play Chivas and then it will all spiral out of control for them as they nose dive into the ground....

Remember, Seattle "thinks' they have it all figured out, but in reality they don't! They have just been fortunate to play teams that haven't hit their stride yet...

Wait till Ljungberg gets injured, WHICH i GUARANTEE he will!!!

Roogsy
04-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Maybe Seattle is this league's "Hull City"?

Great start. Fading bad in the home stretch.

Toronto Gunner
04-08-2009, 09:09 AM

Remember Man City last season? They topped the table for a number of weeks under Sven, but it didn't take long until they dropped down to where they deserved to be. I definitely see Seattle as doing the same thing, but then again, only time will tell.

Stugatzo
04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
i think Bull's onto something...how bout a chant?

we're not arseholes clap-clap-clapclapclap

brad
04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Remember Man City last season? They topped the table for a number of weeks under Sven, but it didn't take long until they dropped down to where they deserved to be. I definitely see Seattle as doing the same thing, but then again, only time will tell.

Indeed time will tell, but I think Sigi is a hell of a coach at this level. He has Seattle doing the simple, fundamental things right. He did the same thing with Columbus. I haven't seen any other teams in the MLS doing this.

Dirk Diggler
04-08-2009, 04:43 PM

Great start. Fading bad in the home stretch.

That is possible ... although looking at Seattle's roster, it does not seem as if they are playing over their heads. Montero was always highly touted before he even came to the league and may just be the best striker in the MLS. Freddie is also proven quality and as long as he doesn't injure himself, he should be amongst the best players in the league. Keller has proven himself at the highest levels so he's definitely not playing over his head right now with all the clean sheets. In addition, you have exciting young guys such as Zakuani and Nyassi. Not to mention Sigi Schmidt, who may very well be the best manager in the continent.

So all in all, the comparison really is not fair. At no point during the season did anyone think that Hull City had 2 or 3 of the best players and the best coach in the league.