PDA

View Full Version : Where is our CB?

Nuvinho
04-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I know I am creating another thread on CBs, but its time that we have to address this issue.

- Is a CB coming in?

- When is this so-called CB coming in? After the European season? or after the June 15th MLS transfer window opens?

Why am I so anxious? Well, if the new CB comes in after June 15th. We would of played 43% of our games already. That is a 43% chance that Harmse and or Velez will screw up and lose us points. As well, we would of already played 8 home games (5 road games). We can't afford to lose points at home. With Harmse and Velez we will.

I don't mean to knock these guys personally, but they aren't starters in this league for a so-called playoff team.

I know Mo and JC don't want to talk about names or dates for players, but I hope that something is already done, and they are just waiting for the European season to end.

Super
04-06-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't want to knock any individual player based on the performance against Seattle. I thought the team failed as a unit, and you'll see that from time to time. I think we have a great team put together, and that this was just an off-day. We'll be back in form on Saturday. We all needed a reality check after the first two great results. It's a tough league, and there is no easy game, but I still think we'll improve from last year and finish in the play-offs.

Have faith!

And PLEASE let's not be the type of supporters that turn on our team if they lose ONE game - and then the next week shower them with praise and talk of "we'll never turn our backs on you, no matter what" when they win. That's not really supporting a team.

Pachuco
04-06-2009, 09:15 AM
I was waiting for one of these threads to start up :). Been wondering the same thing.

More importantly though, I want to know where Tyrone is? Can someone please ask Mo this question at a press conference or something? I'm dying to hear the excuse. Since we all know he thought he had someone lined up, traded Tyrone, and then got stiffed by the CB. It was a pretty silly move, and one that could cost us.

Nuvinho
04-06-2009, 09:20 AM
To be honest, I would of loved a CB combo of Marshall-Serioux.

Nuvinho
04-06-2009, 09:22 AM
And PLEASE let's not be the type of supporters that turn on our team if they lose ONE game - and then the next week shower them with praise and talk of "we'll never turn our backs on you, no matter what" when they win. That's not really supporting a team.

This has been a major issue for us since the 1st pre-season game, its not about losing one game. Its about the defensive lapses in all 3 games. If Harmse stops putting his hands up and doens't do a swan move, 2 of the 3 road goals would of been avoided.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Where the *uck is our DP, preferably an amazing CB would be nice...

It doesn't take a genius to figure out we need a Strong, Skilled CB...

I will start calling out every *ucking player that doesn't step up and play a consistently strong, positive game!!

I'm sick and tired of this bullshit, ....aaaahh sometimes i play, aaaahhh sometimes i don't......aaaaaahh maybe next time........aaaaahhhh we should have done this.....aaahhhhh we were missing pieces......aaaaaaahhhhhh it was too windy........aaaaahhhhh we didn't focus......aaaahhhh they were taller....

Seriously! Start playing consistent, and Start stringing together some WINS!!!!!!

TFCREDNWHITE
04-06-2009, 09:25 AM
To be honest, I would of loved a CB combo of Marshall-Serioux.

Screw Marshall...He is not the answer, Serioux is better.

Marshall never played with pride and passion for the RED Jersey!!

TFCREDNWHITE
04-06-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't want to knock any individual player based on the performance against Seattle. I thought the team failed as a unit, and you'll see that from time to time. I think we have a great team put together, and that this was just an off-day. We'll be back in form on Saturday. We all needed a reality check after the first two great results. It's a tough league, and there is no easy game, but I still think we'll improve from last year and finish in the play-offs.

Have faith!

Its one game right now...But its 3 years of losses so far!! No more excuses, I want to win!

Nuvinho
04-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Its one game right now...But its 3 years of losses so far!! No more excuses, I want to win!

haha..I am laughing, because I feel your pain, as do a lot of people on this board.

poppamidnight
04-06-2009, 10:40 AM
This has been a major issue for us since the 1st pre-season game, its not about losing one game. Its about the defensive lapses in all 3 games. If Harmse stops putting his hands up and doens't do a swan move, 2 of the 3 road goals would of been avoided.

Not just pre-season

Harmse was garbage for the greater portion of games last year...

there was maybe 2-3 games last year where he wasn't total shit,
then people jumped on his bandwagon....

I should introduce the backside of my hand to those people...smack some sense into them
They are the same one's who toot the "it's only 1 game" horn....
it's a double standard:
1 good Harmse/Velez/Rickett's game their all "ohh yea we're going to the championship"
they start fucking up: "ohh yea, it's only 1 game"

Well what is it?
the one game they are okay, and you guys are claiming them to be saviours?
or the one game this week (in reality it's probably more like 2 full season worth - but they only say it THAT WEEK to make it seem like 1 game) where they were overtly shit?

I agree w/ you Nuvinho,
people on here are completely irrational

We need to post an online link to websters, since people are evidently confusing the word "day/game" for "year/season"

"it's only one day/game" that _____ has sucked------when they really mean "it's only one year/season" that ______has sucked

jloome
04-06-2009, 10:48 AM

Seriously, New York has signed Alberta Celades this year and Seattle has Jhon Hurtado.

And the best we can do is Serioux?

People are setting their expectations too low. If you go by Carver's quote they basically signed serioux because they liked how he looked playing centrally for Canada.

That's enough? No proven pedigree playing professionally in that position? Not one second- or third-tier ACTUAL centreback was available, anywhere in the world?

Seriously boys, this is the third friggin' season. Can people start placing some expectations beyond "we've got Dero and Vitti, what more do you want?"

How about a team balanced from back to front?

Arnie Knows
04-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Poor Kevin Harmse .. He Sucks !!!! good canandian guy but dammmm he sucks

We have a whole for sure IT SHOWS

jloome
04-06-2009, 10:50 AM
And to the Harmse bashers, we know he sucks. But he wasn't the one that let Ljunberg cruise into the box on an easy give and go. That was Serioux, who was playing too high, and who made exactly the same mistake against RSL in pre-season. So people should get over their delusions about him being a good centre back right now.

He is too inconsistent to be a backline leader. He can't have one good game out of four and be considered a success.

Pachuco
04-06-2009, 10:50 AM

When will people understand that this isn't a Serioux vs Marshall thing? This is a 100K vs Marshall thing. We didn't trade Marshall for Serioux, we traded them for a measly 100K!!!!! We could have BOTH of them right now.

Now try and convince me Harmse is better then Marshall :rolleyes:

J .
04-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Ill say it again, Harmse was not the problem yesterday. Our midfield didn't get us any possession and was outworked by Seattle. That is what cost us the game to be honest. The goals were just a product of our inability to win the ball and move it properly.

Furthermore, Barrett and Vitti did nothing when we did have the ball going forward. Serioux and Wynne were the ones who had missed their mark.

He is not the problem. He may not be a top class defender yet. But it was his first home opener and he was not the cause of the loss.

Pachuco
04-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Ill say it again, Harmse was not the problem yesterday. Our midfield didn't get us any possession and was outworked by Seattle. That is what cost us the game to be honest. The goals were just a product of our inability to win the ball and move it properly.

Furthermore, Barrett and Vitti did nothing when we did have the ball going forward. Serioux and Wynne were the ones who had missed their mark.

He is not the problem. He may not be a top class defender yet. But it was his first home opener and he was not the cause of the loss.

I agree with this. Our problems were going forward yesterday, not defending. It's hard not to lose 2-0 when our team can't hold the freeking ball and when the midfield can't make 2 passes in a row.

trane
^ Dude, Harmse is a big part of the problem, he is not a CB, an while there was some initial success in playing him there, he was exposed on Saturday, on the first goal, he sat motionless, not marking anyone, not trying to cut of any lanes, realy just being a pilon, and for most of the game, he gave the attackers way to much room. Nothing agaisnt him personally we tried him, he gave it a go, he is not a CB. I have watched four games, including the preseason game at Shoeless, and he has caused more problems for us that he has resolved. He needs to get back on the bench, and he can back up at the DM spot as well as a CB on occasion.

jloome
When will people understand that this isn't a Serioux vs Marshall thing? This is a 100K vs Marshall thing. We didn't trade Marshall for Serioux, we traded them for a measly 100K!!!!! We could have BOTH of them right now.

Now try and convince me Harmse is better then Marshall :rolleyes:

Both wouldn't help much, as neither is good enough to lead the backline. Marshall is the better of the three, but it should be Marshall as the second and a solid Chad Marshall/CJ Brown style defender leading the line.

I like Serioux, he just still looks like a defensive holding midfielder to me, which is what he came up as professionally.

Harmse shouldn't play, at this point. He's been horribly out of his element so far this year.

Arnie Knows
04-06-2009, 10:59 AM
I also thought Riccketts doesn't move the ball and just looked brutal.. he is way too inconsistent

Pachuco
04-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Both wouldn't help much, as neither is good enough to lead the backline. Marshall is the better of the three, but it should be Marshall as the second and a solid Chad Marshall/CJ Brown style defender leading the line.

I like Serioux, he just still looks like a defensive holding midfielder to me, which is what he came up as professionally.

Harmse shouldn't play, at this point. He's been horribly out of his element so far this year.

I agree with what you say. The thing is, Mo hasn't shown that he can replace either one of them. So I can't possibly trust that the next person he's going to bring in is going to be any better then Serioux or Marshall. That's why I unfortunately settle for thinking we had something decent with both Marshall and Serioux.

See what worries me now is Mo is going to go out and band aid the situation, he'll get desperate and bring someone in who doesn't play well with the team (Robert anyone?). I hope I'm wrong and he shocks me with his selection (if that ever comes).

and to what do I deserve the honour of having my name lifted on your ignore list? :)

trane
04-06-2009, 11:10 AM
And to the Harmse bashers, we know he sucks. But he wasn't the one that let Ljunberg cruise into the box on an easy give and go. That was Serioux, who was playing too high, and who made exactly the same mistake against RSL in pre-season. So people should get over their delusions about him being a good centre back right now.

He is too inconsistent to be a backline leader. He can't have one good game out of four and be considered a success.

I have bashed Harmse, for his reaction once they got by Serioux, but he did drift to high, as did Harmse. Both of them being conferted mids may be the core of the issue. But Serioux is still ok as the second striker we need another soon.

Nuvinho
04-06-2009, 11:16 AM
even a stop gap would of been good, until this mysterious CB that Mo has locked in his basement comes.

There was Parke available. Wasn't there also a few others who got released by their teams, that would of been better than what we have now.

Beach_Red
04-06-2009, 11:18 AM

The problem with this team doesn't seem to be that the worst players on the team are bad - it's that the best players aren't good enough.

People want to blame Harmse and Serioux?

Is Carl Robinson going to be the player of the year again? That pretty much sums up the lack of growth on the team.

reggie
04-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Harmse is a bench player we all know that,so leave the guy alone.
its Mo that can't close the deals...he is the blame.
he had all winter to find a cb and now we are going into our 4th game with less then we had last year.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-06-2009, 11:54 AM
To many questions....

1) Will Amado become an MVP again??

2) Will Barrett score more Goals then Last Year???

3) Will Wynne become better then Last Year and get the nod from Europe??

4) Will Vitti score at least 10 goals this year??

5) Will we get a DP CB???

6) Will Ricketts do something/anything this year??

7) When will we be consistent for once in our life!??

Nuvinho
04-06-2009, 11:55 AM
1) No
2) Maybe
3) No
4) No
5) No
6) Don't know
7) hopefully

That's my realistic take on our situation.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-06-2009, 11:58 AM
1) No
2) Maybe
3) No
4) No
5) No
6) Don't know
7) hopefully

That's my realistic take on our situation.

I know, It's bullshit isn't it??

jabbronies
04-06-2009, 12:05 PM
I also thought Riccketts doesn't move the ball and just looked brutal.. he is way too inconsistent

He plays with the ball waaaaay too much. It's cool that he can deek through a player or two, but then he gets greedy and tries to go for more. Very selfish IMO.

Also, why can't anyone on our team bring the ball down when it's in the air. Why do they have to bounce it around like a beach ball instead of bringing it down and making a solid pass to someone on thier own team!

jabbronies
04-06-2009, 12:06 PM
He plays with the ball waaaaay too much. It's cool that he can deek through a player or two, but then he gets greedy and tries to go for more. Very selfish IMO.

Also, why can't anyone on our team bring the ball down when it's in the air. Why do they have to bounce it around like a beach ball instead of bringing it down and making a solid pass to someone on thier own team!

Some of our guys need to the let the ball do the work for them. and others need to get off thier asses and do something period!

bhoybobby
04-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Screw Marshall...He is not the answer, Serioux is better.

Marshall never played with pride and passion for the RED Jersey!!

Pass the dutchie, I dunno what games you were watching last year, he was our best defender, in spite of shit that was playing in front of him & beside him, he still played well, He was a warrior.

We wouldn't have got schooled on Sat if he was on our team. Serioux is no where near as good a player as Marshall

bhoybobby
04-06-2009, 12:13 PM

To me that's been apparent since he arrived.

trane
04-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Dichio is the only one that does on a consistnet basis and one of the major reasons he is effective.

wzhxvy
04-06-2009, 12:34 PM
There is NO reason for the Marshall trade without a new CB...it was a MORONIC move...how we could trade a functional CB (yes I know he was not great, but he is better than what we have today) without a replacement is unacceptable. I agree someone not only has to ask Mo about this but he has to be accountable for it.

So lets evaluate Mo's moves so far:

1. Derosario (he wanted to come here and asked to be traded, Mo did not make it happen)
2. We have two gambians giving us good warm up entertainment
3. We traded Marshall and got money for him when we desperately needed the bodies

The only credit he deserves is on Serioux, and the draft picks Cronin, Frei and OW...Vitti is still TBD, but I do admit I like what I have seen...(+3)

So, so far, Mo is 50/50...to me that is an average job when we needed a GREAT job to get us where we needed...and the mediocrity continues.

trane
04-06-2009, 12:42 PM
^ All year, I said that Marshall was the most consisted of our CBs, not great, but the most consistend. I got mad at Marshall for some off-pitch comments, and called for his trade, but that was all thinking that we were getting another CB. Do they realy think what we have now can cut it?

wzhxvy
04-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Nope what we have definetly does not cut it which is why the Marshall trade is a mystery wrapped in an enigma

Beach_Red
04-06-2009, 01:19 PM

What I heard all around me on Saturday, whether it was Ricketts with the ball or anyone else was, "Why are they all just standing around?"

Now, personally I don't know enough about the game to comment, but everyone on TFC looked lost on Saturday. This looking for two or three guys to hang it on seems silly. This was a team with no jump, no fire at all.

It was the same way they finished the season in San Jose last year - lackluster and like they had no plan at all.

There's really no excuse for it and the coach is the one to shoulder the blame (rightly or wrongly, that's the way sports work).

trane
04-06-2009, 01:25 PM
^ San Jose is the game that made me realy thing we may need whole sale change to close the season in such a lackluster fashion was realy disapointing.