PDA

View Full Version : Check This Shit Out Boys!!

TFCinVANCOUVER
04-05-2009, 03:47 AM
http://www.forbes.com/business/2008/...mlsvalues.html (http://www.forbes.com/business/2008/09/09/mls-soccer-beckham-biz-sports-cz_kb_0909mlsvalues.html)

The link was found in a B.Archer blog, and thanks to him for bringing it to everyones attention.

You'll notice how TFC was listed as one of three teams that profited last season. We totaled a whopping $2.1 million.

"The Toronto FC, which commissioner Garber holds up as the blueprint for the coming expansion teams, is worth $44 million, up four-fold in just three years. The team turned a profit of $2.1 million in its inaugural season last year, when it sold every ticket at 20,500-seat BMO Field.

A cosmopolitan city with a passionate soccer fan base translated into a sea of supporters donning the red and white team colors at home games. Toronto FC spectators topped the league in spending, averaging $15 a game on food, beverages:drinking: and souvenirs at concession stands. Toronto also rakes in $4 million in local television and sponsorship revenue."

If you do the math 20,500 x $15 x 15 home games = just over $4.6 million

So, as mentioned before, you can create all your signs and complain about MLSE all you want, but if you want to do something about it...IT'S LOOKING AT YOU IN THE FACE!!!

As I have been preaching, cut those in stadium sales in half...just half, and look what damage is done.

4.6 million profit from concessions divided by 2 is 2.3 million.

2.1 million total team profit minus 2.3 million in lost sales has just moved the team from in the black to in the red. Message sent.

That could be a double edged sword, but there it is.

Cashcleaner
04-05-2009, 04:00 AM
So few people want to acknowledge the fact that Toronto FC is raking in the profits as any successful business can given the current economic climate. And just like any other corporation they will try to hide and obfuscate those numbers as long as it suits them. Is anyone really surprised that TFC is making money hand over fist when we are buying all the merch, buying all the season tickets, and doing everything else we can to support the club financially?

Toronto FC is a multi-million dollar club that has made quite a lot of money for a relatively small investment and will continue to do so. But are we going to ever get a DP? Not in the forseeable future.

What about some reasonable upgrades to BMO Field? Not in the forseeable future.

Grass? Not in the forseeable future.

Look, I know you're going to say it, but let me finish. Yes, MLSE is the reason why we have a team. Awesome! Thanks guys, I do appreciate it. But at the end of the day I'm a consumer just as much as I am a supporter and I gotta say that my wallet is on very intimate terms with the club. At the moment I'm fine paying the price I do for my season tickets, but I am disconcerted with the overall trend I'm seeing with regards to pricing and value.

TFCinVANCOUVER
04-05-2009, 04:05 AM
totally agree with you brother!!!

tfc007
04-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Maple Leaf Sports And Greeeeeed!

mclaren
04-05-2009, 09:33 AM
So few people want to acknowledge the fact that Toronto FC is raking in the profits as any successful business can given the current economic climate. And just like any other corporation they will try to hide and obfuscate those numbers as long as it suits them. Is anyone really surprised that TFC is making money hand over fist when we are buying all the merch, buying all the season tickets, and doing everything else we can to support the club financially?

Toronto FC is a multi-million dollar club that has made quite a lot of money for a relatively small investment and will continue to do so. But are we going to ever get a DP? Not in the forseeable future.

Look, I know you're going to say it, but let me finish. Yes, MLSE is the reason why we have a team. Awesome! Thanks guys, I do appreciate it. But at the end of the day I'm a consumer just as much as I am a supporter and I gotta say that my wallet is on very intimate terms with the club. At the moment I'm fine paying the price I do for my season tickets, but I am disconcerted with the overall trend I'm seeing with regards to pricing and value.

Very well said Cash - couldn't agree more with your sentiment.

Kickit09
04-05-2009, 10:01 AM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=199&pictureid=1338

tfc
04-05-2009, 10:03 AM

... are you serious? you do recognize that there are a lot of other considerations involved in getting these things. For one, the stadium is owned by THE GOVERNMENT, and I think its pretty obvious to anyone not jaded by their hate-on for MLSE that that is the major impediment to getting these grass or expansion.

"So few people want to acknowledge the fact that Toronto FC is raking in the profits as any successful business can given the current economic climate. And just like any other corporation they will try to hide and obfuscate those numbers as long as it suits them."

oh yea, tom anselmi, what a big bad evil man. same with paul, just a bunch of lying, cheating, businessmen.

look out! "the MAN" IS COMING FOR YOU.

Calvin
04-05-2009, 10:07 AM
So few people want to acknowledge the fact that Toronto FC is raking in the profits as any successful business can given the current economic climate.

2.1 million. that thats not enough to make any real venture capitalist even read the article.

Marc"2L"
04-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Throw in the fact that MLSE is owned by a pension fund and it all seems bleak.

Cashcleaner
04-05-2009, 12:53 PM
2.1 million. that thats not enough to make any real venture capitalist even read the article.

You're kidding right? Most new companies don't even turn a profit for two years, and by most I mean like 9 out of 10.

2.1 million dollars may not seem like a lot in the business world now, but that's the money they made in their first year. Any venture capitalist would be dizzy with excitment if they got in on the groundfloor of that deal.

reggie
04-05-2009, 12:58 PM
no MLSE no TFC and no whitecaps.....

djking2
04-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Toronto FC spectators topped the league in spending, averaging $15 a game on food, beverages:drinking: and souvenirs at concession stands.

All I can add is I and a whole lot of others have a couple tall boys @ $9.25 ea. not to mention food so there must be a whole lot of people that aren't pulling their weight.

ginkster88
04-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Cash is right. Payback in one year, with profit on top? That's a venture capitalist's dream right there.

Dirk Diggler
04-05-2009, 03:52 PM
I also love the fact how MLSE always has excuses for everything. Not expanding the stadium .... not putting in grass .... not putting in a roof .... not putting in electronic advertisement boards ... not signing a DP etc .... they've got it all covered. Thank god for teams like Seattle that don't just sit on their laurels and roll in the dough because they know they don't need to fix whats not broken.

Sonny Cheeba
04-05-2009, 03:56 PM
am i missing something? why do electronic advertisement boards make it onto the list of "wants"?

i don't get it. now we're worried about how we display our sponsors on the sidelines?
:noidea:

ginkster88
04-05-2009, 03:58 PM
^^ This just astounds me... because big teams in Europe have digital boards, we should too??? Hockey teams in Europe sell ads for their jerseys, I guess the NHL should too. Geez.

J .
04-05-2009, 04:05 PM
They wouldn't be running the team if it was operating at a loss... The team would fold.

TFCinVANCOUVER
04-05-2009, 04:10 PM
We should be able to vote for our managers and coaches like Real Madrid!!!

But I do like Carver and Mo, Just for future consideration!!!

Because my guess is Peddie is untouchable.

Batman
04-05-2009, 04:29 PM
am i missing something? why do electronic advertisement boards make it onto the list of "wants"?

i don't get it. now we're worried about how we display our sponsors on the sidelines?
:noidea:

I think it's our normal inferiority complex. We want to do the things the big leagues do, and therefore we're big league too. No big deal.. They'd probably look ok, but I'd prefer investments that make the team PLAY better. A couple DPs would do. Come to think of it, if electronic sign boards give enough additional revenue to help get that done, then I'm all for it.

tfc
04-05-2009, 04:31 PM
wtf is wrong with people, we lose one game and all hell breaks loose. put things in perspective here: year 3 just began, we have a good team, we have a passionate coach, we have brought in all the gadgets from europe that carver wanted, we have winsper (best fitness coach in the world!), management listens to what the fans want, etc. Go take a look at some of the other teams in this league, DC can't even get a stadium approved!

judging by the comments on this board we should all be outraged we aren't manchester united playing in a brand-spanking new 50K stadium, with grass, electronic billboards (who gives a shit), roof, and all the best things money can buy.

tfc
04-05-2009, 04:33 PM
regarding the elecronic billboards, Paul said it doesnt make financial sense, hence why we dont have any. they would probably piss me off to tell you the truth

boban
04-05-2009, 05:25 PM

Cash, you have said something here very clearly and eloquently. Something that I have been trying to explain for a while but seems to have ruffled a few feathers here on this board -perhaps for being too direct, too harsh. IN any event, I agree with you 100%. Its the value trend here, and I for one am not seeing it. I love the game too much not to go to games and follow them throughout the year. But, I also do not have my blinders on, nor am I a puppet into believing everything that comes out of MLSE and why things can't be improved.
Very well put Cash.

You're kidding right? Most new companies don't even turn a profit for two years, and by most I mean like 9 out of 10. 2.1 million dollars may not seem like a lot in the business world now, but that's the money they made in their first year. Any venture capitalist would be dizzy with excitment if they got in on the groundfloor of that deal.

So true. And remember, this is the profit they are only showing on the books. Minus accounting 'tricks/procedures' such as depreciation et. al, the real profit and cash flow is a lot more.

I also love the fact how MLSE always has excuses for everything. Not expanding the stadium .... not putting in grass .... not putting in a roof .... not putting in electronic advertisement boards ... not signing a DP etc .... they've got it all covered. Thank god for teams like Seattle that don't just sit on their laurels and roll in the dough because they know they don't need to fix whats not broken.
You're right about that Diggler and I agree with it all (minus the electronic board signs). What I find equally astounding is how everyone is pretty much in complete agreement with TFC and/or MLSE with thier explanations for not going forward with a certain aspect - esp. when they come here and post such 'reasons'.

boban
04-05-2009, 05:39 PM
... are you serious? you do recognize that there are a lot of other considerations involved in getting these things. For one, the stadium is owned by THE GOVERNMENT, and I think its pretty obvious to anyone not jaded by their hate-on for MLSE that that is the major impediment to getting these grass or expansion.
Government ownership of a stadium is not unique to TFC and MLSE alone. There are lots of stadiums in NA owned by the public where pro teams play and expand/alter as they need.

oh yea, tom anselmi, what a big bad evil man. same with paul, just a bunch of lying, cheating, businessmen.

look out! "the MAN" IS COMING FOR YOU.
I don't think anyone said Paul is lying and cheating. Its not him for sure. He has higher ups to please and answer to. He needs their approval before things move forward.
Its the targets and criteria made by MLSE board members that are the problem/obstacle.

TFC John
04-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Electronic advertizing boards would look cool but I'd put them way down the list of improvements I'd like to see. When you look at the profit numbers listed above think back to last season when for a couple of games the fourth official was holding up a flip chart to show the substitutions. How Mickey Mouse was that? MLSE have always bragged about the first class operation they run but there always seem to be little glitches that show how thin the finish really is.

Stryker
04-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Im of the opinion that next season we'll see ethier grass or a DP or concrete plans for expansion.
Rome wasen't built in a day folks.

EGP
04-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Pres. Jack on Notable.TV check it out

http://www.notable.tv/tfc.php

jloome
04-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Almost everything on this list woud need agreement from their parntes in the stadium, which is to say the city. They operate it, city owns it. Even the adboards, although the real problem there is that MLS has a separate league-wide marketing deal that was put in place by teams that don't make money, because they're bad at, among other things, league-wide marketing deals.

What that means is that MLS would decide who goes on the electronic boards, not TFC, and therefore how much revenue they can derive from it. Thus Paul's comment about them not being profitable.

TFC John
04-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Im of the opinion that next season we'll see ethier grass or a DP or concrete plans for expansion.

I'm of the opinion that we were promissed a DP this year.

"I'll guarantee you that this will definitely happen by the start of next season. I'm guaranteeing it," Carver told reporters Monday afternoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/15/torontofc-designated-player.html

I'm as happy as the next guy that DeRo is here but if he is as good as a DP why doesn't he get paid as a DP? Clearly the club has the money. If he isn't worth DP money then where is opur DP?

Cashcleaner
04-07-2009, 12:26 AM

Apparently not, but it's starting to look like Seattle was. :D

Look, I'm not talking so much about what we have at the moment. I can understand that MLSE underestimated the popularity of the team here in town and we are still seeing the effects of that fact. We ALL underestimated, in fact. I'm talking about what we can see on the horizon.

I truly believe Toronto FC can be one of the most success football clubs in the world. That said, I know we'll never reach that goal if we start cutting corners and imposing limits on what we can do.

Azerban
04-07-2009, 12:59 AM
I'm of the opinion that we were promissed a DP this year.

"I'll guarantee you that this will definitely happen by the start of next season. I'm guaranteeing it," Carver told reporters Monday afternoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/15/torontofc-designated-player.html

I'm as happy as the next guy that DeRo is here but if he is as good as a DP why doesn't he get paid as a DP? Clearly the club has the money. If he isn't worth DP money then where is opur DP?

would you rather a DP instead of Dero? if not, isn't it a good thing we aren't paying him DP wages?