PDA

View Full Version : Portugal > England

K1nG
04-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Okay mods, I know what youre thinking, "freeze this thread". But before you do that please read this post in its entirety. What I mean by the statement Portugal > England is the traditional Portuguese possesion style of play will more often than not trump the traditional English long ball approach. If you keep reading I will soon relate this to TFC. :canada:

If you recall recent European action in which Portuguese clubs have played English, you will see that Portuguese clubs have had greater success against their English opponents than the clubs payrolls would have you beleive. For example, Benfica eliminating Liverpool and Man Untd a few years back. Porto with recent wins over Man Untd, Chelsea, Arsenal and having never lost to an English club at home. Now I am in no way saying that Portuguese teams own the English, all I am saying is that Portuguese clubs (with less talented players) hold their own against English clubs (with more talented players). Why ? because of their style of play.

In Portugal, people who talk football often say that. They say that keeping the ball on the ground, keeping possesion and counter attacking in waves is very effective against English long ball clubs. I agree. Why? Because you can see the results. Now suppose Carver tried to put forth a system like this one. In which they hold the ball instead of countless long balls which 9 times out of 10 just lead to a give away.. well that could quite possibly trump opponents systems just like on many occasions.. Portuguese style of play has trumped English (even though English have multiple times the payroll of Portuguese teams)

IMO - TFC and the MLS is comparable to the Coca-Cola Championship. Kick the ball, chase the ball, kick the ball, chase the ball.

Dont flame me too hard.

Mentor?????

Stryker
04-05-2009, 12:45 AM
IBTL

CretanBull
04-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Okay mods, I know what youre thinking, "freeze this thread". But before you do that please read this post in its entirety. What I mean by the statement Portugal > England is the traditional Portuguese possesion style of play will more often than not trump the traditional English long ball approach. If you keep reading I will soon relate this to TFC. :canada:

If you recall recent European action in which Portuguese clubs have played English, you will see that Portuguese clubs have had greater success against their English opponents than the clubs payrolls would have you beleive. For example, Benfica eliminating Liverpool and Man Untd a few years back. Porto with recent wins over Man Untd, Chelsea, Arsenal and having never lost to an English club at home. Now I am in no way saying that Portuguese teams own the English, all I am saying is that Portuguese clubs (with less talented players) hold their own against English clubs (with more talented players). Why ? because of their style of play.

In Portugal, people who talk football often say that. They say that keeping the ball on the ground, keeping possesion and counter attacking in waves is very effective against English long ball clubs. I agree. Why? Because you can see the results. Now suppose Carver tried to put forth a system like this one. In which they hold the ball instead of countless long balls which 9 times out of 10 just lead to a give away.. well that could quite possibly trump opponents systems just like on many occasions.. Portuguese style of play has trumped English (even though English have multiple times the payroll of Portuguese teams)

IMO - TFC and the MLS is comparable to the Coca-Cola Championship. Kick the ball, chase the ball, kick the ball, chase the ball.

Dont flame me too hard.

Mentor?????

English league clubs don't play the sterotypical "English" style of game that the national team is known for playing. The English clubs that you mentioned are managed by a Spanish, Scottish, French and (ironically) Portuguese (I think the Special One was the coach of Chelsea when they lost to Porto?) coaches.

If you want to make an arguement that a posession style is better than long-ball style you should make that arguement without making claims like "Portugual > England" which is only going to piss people off.

tfc007
04-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Yes I agree with possesion football,The long ball english style works against teams that play the same style.The TFC was playing long ball soccer with high wind gusts,it just didnt work.If I was the coach,I would tell my players to work the ball around,keep it on the ground,spread the game wide to stretch the seattle defence so we can feed through balls instead of long balls, Thats what i would do,but I am not knocking English or Portugese football they both have quality football and they approach the games in different ways.

pubboy
04-05-2009, 09:21 AM

I'm sorry, but there is no way in hell that that pile of shite compared in any way to the Championship. :mad:

Oblio2
04-05-2009, 09:23 AM
I believe that if TFC were in the Coca Cola..they would get murdered and drop down to the 3rd tier. Where they would struggle.

Jack
04-05-2009, 09:25 AM
No need to stir this pot, K1nG

Thread closed