PDA

View Full Version : Concessions incompetence

egoodwin
04-04-2009, 07:41 PM
The concessions were absolutely poor today.

I went to the NW one wanting to get a hot chocolate, I got in line 5 to 7 min into the half. When halftime ended, the line moved 1 person, same with the next line and the line next to that.

Sure it was opening day, but that is not sufficient excuse for the utter and absolute incompetence that is serving one person in 20 min

Afterall it is drinks and fastfood, not a gourmet meal

Chevy
04-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Barrett and Ricketts should help out in the concessions next Saturday. Might help.

MFG1
04-04-2009, 07:49 PM
no they shouldnt, because they will get your order and as they hand it to you someone else will take it from their hands and give it to someone else.

Chevy
04-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Could they work the cash? Fuck, maybe that's a worse idea...

Toronto Ruffrider
04-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Could they work the cash? Fuck, maybe that's a worse idea...

Hell, they couldn't even work the cash when I was paying with cash. If they're going to try to charge me $78 for two chip butties and two soft drinks, I'm going demand more fries in my sandwiches.

Toronto Ruffrider
04-04-2009, 08:01 PM

I went to the NW one wanting to get a hot chocolate, I got in line 5 to 7 min into the half. When halftime ended, the line moved 1 person, same with the next line and the line next to that.

Sure it was opening day, but that is not sufficient excuse for the utter and absolute incompetence that is serving one person in 20 min

Never go to the northwest concession stand. That stand was the worst stand all of last season. The people who work there are f*ckin' retards.

wzhxvy
04-04-2009, 08:03 PM
My wife waited for 20 minutes for a coffee and then gave up..they have ZERO urgency at the concessions...and it shows...

TorCanSoc
04-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I smuggled in a gronola bar, and an apple. I kind of expected some opening day concession confusion. But man I wanted a chip butty, I took one look at the line and headed back to my seat. Good thing I did, I guess.

rocker
04-04-2009, 08:09 PM
i waited about 4 minutes beside that car in the north end for the concession girl to figure out my change for a bottle of coke. highschool math class clearly isn't what it used to be!

bhoybobby
04-04-2009, 08:11 PM
That's the last time I wait in line for cold hot chocolate, concessions like our team get worse every year.

J-Man
04-04-2009, 08:21 PM
My wife went to get coffee at the half and she came back half way through second half with coffee that looked like weak tea and tasted like it too. Luckly i was drinking beer.

David
04-04-2009, 08:37 PM
i waited about 4 minutes beside that car in the north end for the concession girl to figure out my change for a bottle of coke. highschool math class clearly isn't what it used to be!

I watched as she did the too two people ahead of me...a three person like took like 7 minutes bag of m&ms, and popcorn. That's all they freaking ordered! Thank god i had exact change

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I painfully watched the girls shaking while pouring my beer. What's the deal? They can't give them better jackets? I guess it's 1st day and they didn't know how cold the wind off the lake could get.

Oblio2
04-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Conesessions sucked. I waited 20 mins for a beer and ther were only 3 people in front of me..They dont care or move(hustle)

Mikey
04-04-2009, 08:45 PM
You're all making the same mistake!!!

Don't buy stuff inside the stadium, it's a guaranteed improved retail experience.

E.G. I got the half rack of ribs and a frosty beer at The Banknote for the same price as a BMO Shit dog and craplager, with good service.

Oblio2
04-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Banknote?????

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
You're all making the same mistake!!!

Don't buy stuff inside the stadium, it's a guaranteed improved retail experience.

E.G. I got the half rack of ribs and a frosty beer at The Banknote for the same price as a BMO Shit dog and craplager, with good service.

Where can I grab a Scotch egg before the game?:)

vilerichard
04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I ordered a pork wrap and was handed a meatball sandwich. The guy working the stand I was at clearly had no clue...

Mikey
04-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Banknote?????

Corner of King and bathhurst......quicker to walk there than wait at the crapcessions stands........sad but true.

Corcai
04-04-2009, 09:54 PM
They seem to be able to pour the $13 pints pretty quickly though.

zamperina
04-04-2009, 10:00 PM
The concessions were terrible for us as well. We waited well over 20 minutes for 3 items. It's funny because they have about 5 runners per cook it seems but all they do is hand food to the teller. So even with 30 people behind the counter it makes no difference...just brutal!

Oblio2
04-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Where can I grab a Scotch egg before the game?:)

I make a Mean Scotch Egg-:yum:

Duct Tape
04-04-2009, 10:36 PM
I smuggled in a gronola bar, and an apple. I kind of expected some opening day concession confusion. But man I wanted a chip butty, I took one look at the line and headed back to my seat. Good thing I did, I guess.

The Chip Butty's were good, back to real bread instead of the hot-dog buns. But if it had taken much longer to get them from the concessions before the game i might never had seen the game...hmmm, you know, that might not have been so bad, at least then i wouldn't have had to put up with Drew Carey taunting us in 224...

MrHawk
04-04-2009, 10:38 PM
5 minutes for a bbq pork wrap that tasted like tuna with bbq sauce and pickles.

FluSH
04-04-2009, 10:39 PM
I love my coffee... I truly do... I mean I have my own grinder at home with 5 different types of beans from accross the world at all times... looking to possibly get a roaster... but there is no way in hell I'm going to get coffee from BMO field... no fcking way!

phonzo
04-04-2009, 10:39 PM
pft the beer guy took care of us very well..props to him :p

ensco
04-04-2009, 10:41 PM
The specialty stalls (like Mr Greek) work better.

The general concessions are a horror show. The people working these concessions seem to have never worked in foodservice before, and never worked together.

Red CB Toronto
04-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Did anyone try the mac and cheese thing, curious to know what it is like.

Mars
04-04-2009, 11:18 PM
One beer girl had to look up my driver's license in their fraud book. I tried to explain that Nova Scotia is a real place, but she wasn't buying it.

egoodwin
04-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Never go to the northwest concession stand. That stand was the worst stand all of last season. The people who work there are f*ckin' retards.
being in 127, i don't really got much choice, it's either that general concession stand if i want that kind of stuff or food, or go across the upper concourse or beer garden... not too good of ideas there :P

last year it wasn't that bad though, the lines actually moved last year...

Stryker
04-05-2009, 12:40 AM
One beer girl had to look up my driver's license in their fraud book. I tried to explain that Nova Scotia is a real place, but she wasn't buying it.
I would have lost it on her. People that stupid deserve to be berated.

K1nG
04-05-2009, 12:51 AM
just hillarious

egoodwin
04-05-2009, 12:56 AM
concessions was horrible, but security

god damn where did these security folk come from

great job on their part today for sure, I was damn sure that one of them would question me about my flag and all, nope not one mention of it... top marks to them

Stryker
04-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Nice to hear the new security were good.
Would be even nicer if they thumped the beer throwers.

egoodwin
04-05-2009, 01:21 AM
i recognized a couple of them from last year, but the people at the top of 127 and at gate 1 were great and courteous

Blizzard
04-05-2009, 01:43 AM
i recognized a couple of them from last year, but the people at the top of 127 and at gate 1 were great and courteous

The young lady on the left side of 113 was very, very nice and a had a good sense of humour.

SteeltownBhoy
04-05-2009, 06:50 AM
I would just like MLSE for improving my game day budget 100 %

Managed to get 1 beer as soon as i got in the gate, but after that the line ups blocked the line ups.

I asked 1 guy if this was the line up for the beer stand or bathroom, he said he didn't know but he needed both anyway. That made me howl. So 13.50 1 beer(big ass) and 18.50 GO Train return to Hamilton. Cheep day at BMO.

Shakes McQueen
04-05-2009, 07:04 AM
I'd love if BMO sold a half-decent Scotch egg on a stick.

As for the quality of service at BMO - yes it's terrible. Not enough washrooms, and buying anything takes forever.

I rarely buy any concessions or merchandise at the stadium, because of this.

- Scott

McHaggis
04-05-2009, 11:01 PM
I got to the match a bit early for once and managed to get a chip butty. Only took about five minutes. Could have used a few more chips on it but it didn't taste too bad. The toilet situation is pathetic though. Security seemed pretty spot-on too. Most seemed happy to stand around looking hard.

Inswingingwingman
04-06-2009, 07:13 AM
LOL. i watched a young woman serving beer fiddling with a calculator to determine how much 2 beers cost. Now I know the younger generation are challanged, but as you can only buy 2 beers at once, and there are 3 sizes a plasticized sheet should be taped to the counter so two small beers equals a day's pay, one medium and small equals a day's pay and your cell phone, and a large beer and a small beer equals a week's pay and your first born son. I had quite the conversation with her, she wanted to card my 34 year old son who actually looks older. I finally downed mine and looked at him and said too bad. We both had smart serve cards, he just doesn't carry a driver's licence, he lives downtown and has a Metropass....

We started in line early at half time and got back to our seats 30 seconds after it started so it took 15 minutes to get a beer. I think the guys who come to the seats gave up after about 20 minutes, at least in the North End.

maninb
04-06-2009, 07:23 AM
I'm in 108...I had 3 beers Saturday and it never took longer than 2-3 mins, got them right below our section....the washrooms however took 12-15 minutes!

denime
04-06-2009, 07:24 AM

It takes time to warm chocolate when is 5 degrees Celsius.:D

pubboy
04-06-2009, 07:29 AM
I managed to get a butty (with a few chips in it) and a beer at half time. I'd eaten this while my wife was waiting for her coffee, which seemed like it had been made with cold water. They then shouted no more hot drinks (116 concession) ! NO MORE HOT DRINKS !!!!!!
I got back to my seat after using the washroom 12 minutes into the second half.

Mark in Ottawa
04-06-2009, 08:09 AM
The service was great, the food and company superb...
but then the tailgate ended and we had to face the concessions inside ;)
I wish I had loaded up my pockets with some of those cookies from the tailgate. Damn those things were downright addictive!

Hopefully this was just first day shakeout problems at BMO but running out of coffee and hot chocolate on a cold day like that? Unforgiveable.

The NW concourse stand was at least 25 deep the whole of half time with more than 1/2 of those patrons walking away as soon as the second half start was announced. Whoever has the concessions is losing a lot of potential $$.

O well... the burger at Shoeless Joes after the game was great.

MisterMacphisto
04-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Don't go to concession often, but went Saturday. It was really, REALLY bad. People staring at each other, looking totally confused and flustered. They were completely inefficient.

Steve
04-06-2009, 08:25 AM
I had some of those same problems last year with concessions. My question is, where is the holdup? I mean, if it's a case of food not coming out fast enough, are you actually at your limit as to how much you can cook with the equipment you have? Are the people working making the food not fast/motivated? Are they using poor food prep strategy (not making the appropriate foods, not optimizing their cooking times/equipment)? Is the holdup in getting to the food to the customer? Is the holdup in payment?

For any of these problems, there is a solution. Moreover, there is a solution that will maximize gameday revenue for MLSE. The only problem I can see not addressing right away is that of physical infrastructure (too few fryers for example) and even then I would put money on the fact that you could get more food out of the kitchen faster than you are now. Hell, I have no experience in food preparation, but I do work in business optimization, and I could probably come into your kitchen for a single game and give you a list of suggestions to get people through faster (it might be as simple as targetting some crucial jobs and hiring more motivated people by offering a higher salary). Essentially: Get in some form of consultant to watch what you do, and look at your data (ordering statistics in relation to time could go a long way in developing an appropriate food prep strategy). By doing so, you will see a huge increase in revenue (people will no longer look at the line and think "I guess I'll get something after the game).

boomcha
04-06-2009, 08:31 AM
I know the service was shite (pretty much like NY RB) but this was the first time the new servers got to deal with a crowd. MLSE had a hiring fair in early march and these people just got hired recently. I know it was damn busy everywhere but I hope that they got better because they can't get any worse.

That being said, it really saved me some $$ not having to deal with these crazy lineups for everything.

SilverSamurai
04-06-2009, 08:40 AM
LOL :eek:
That's the funniest thing I've heard. LOL

Steve
04-06-2009, 08:40 AM
I know the service was shite (pretty much like NY RB) but this was the first time the new servers got to deal with a crowd. MLSE had a hiring fair in early march and these people just got hired recently. I know it was damn busy everywhere but I hope that they got better because they can't get any worse.

That being said, it really saved me some $$ not having to deal with these crazy lineups for everything.

I understand, but last year it actually never got much better. It's always been very slow, which is not acceptable when you're talking about concessions in a sporting stadium (where you'll likely have to serve a huge number of people in 15 minutes time).

olegunnar
04-06-2009, 08:47 AM
It's possible to get beer/snacks/bathroom stops done in a manageable time.
Most people here are season ticket holders...so you have lots of opportunities to try out different places/strategies and times.
Lets face it...if you go during the halftime rush to the popular stands/pissers...you'll get stuck, but there are times and places to go where it'll be quick...and the idiot beer servers will screw up the math and give you too much change back.

That's not to let the staff off the hook. They don't do a good job, and the planning of the concourses is piss poor. Still, there are ways to get things done in a quick manner.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Concessions were ATROCIOUS! I waited 5 mins for a BAG of peanuts!! 15 mins for beer!! and 20 mins for a washroom!! That's absolutely CRAZY!!

Come on MLSE, Do something about that!!!

egoodwin
04-06-2009, 10:22 AM
The problem with the NW one was that the line I was in had 1 customer served during the halftime, I moved 2 feet before half time ended

Suds
04-06-2009, 10:27 AM
I make a Mean Scotch Egg-:yum:

If you're making them for the next tailgate I'm putting in my order now!! :yum:

ginkster88
04-06-2009, 10:31 AM

To be fair, one of the more common fakes you can get is a Nova Scotia license... I'm not sure how old you are, but if you looked somewhat borderline I would say she's more discerning than you give her credit for.

olegunnar
04-06-2009, 10:35 AM
I got off the go train at 2:50...walked by all the idots lined up at gates 1 and 3 and went to 3B? is that what they call it? the gate right behind section 114? and waited in line less than 5 minutes to get in.
Walked up to the beer stand right in front of the gate and was the first in line.

Relaxed and had my beer soaked in being at BMO again... at 3:30 went to the concession stand behind 115...found a cash register with no line...got a pizza slice.

Walked up the staircase, finished my slice, walked into the bathroom behind 119/120 and there was no line up.

3:45 went to the beer stand by that bathroom and was 5th in line.

Went to my seat.

After the 2nd Seattle goal I went to the beer garden...in 1st half injury time I went to the converted bathroom behind 109...no line up...walked back over to the west side of the beer garden and bought a large beer...was 2nd in line (they had them pre-poured). Went back to my seat with 6 minutes left in halftime....all I missed was the Seattle celebration of the 2nd goal.

To be honest I spent more time waiting for beer to pour than I spent in line in total all day on Saturday.

It's possible...but you have to know the good times and good places to go get things done.

The fact is that BMO field was not designed for soccer crowds....mlsintoronto said so himself, that they weren't prepared for people to stay in their seats all game except for halftime.
Because of that you need to be flexible and be willing to admit that the closest option isn't always the best option.

Toronto Gunner
04-06-2009, 10:39 AM
My sister went down 2 minutes before half to grab an iced tea and two beers. She came back 2 minutes into the next half empty handed. WTF? I was a bit upset that she would leave while the game was still going on, but she was really thirsty and wanted to make sure she got it. didn't happen. on the way back to her seat, she tried to buy a beer from the guy in the stands, but he insisted that she have ID. She didn't have it with her, which I know is stupid because they need to check, but she's 31!! She sent my brother in-law to get one instead and the guy almost wouldn't serve him because he said that he knew he would give it to her.

I really wanted to try the new chip butty's, but I'll make sure to get in the gate early and grab one before the game, definitely not going down at half.

KrazyKanadian
04-06-2009, 10:40 AM
It's an interesting situation because the concessions at the ACC are far more efficient, and they serve nearly the same amount of customers.

I went to the washroom before the game while leaving my friend in line, probably 4 customers back. I came back out and she literally hadn't moved. We waited together for another 15 minutes, and then it took the girl another 5 minutes to get us one hot dog and two cokes (the hot dog was barely cooked too).

I could understand the slowness if we were 20 or 30 people back in line, but there's no way it should take that long for so few people. I've worked concessions before, and it seems to me like it's a case of the front line people not really knowing what they're doing, and the second-line people not assisting them properly.

Parkdale
04-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Most people here are season ticket holders...so you have lots of opportunities to try out different places/strategies and times.

In the past, my seat buddy and I found that the best times to get food/drinks
are at the 30 minute mark, and at the 70 minute mark (food only).

Because we're very close to the isle, if there's a minimal line up,
we'd end up missing less than 4 minutes of game time. Sometimes even less.

Like oldgunnar said, you just need to devise a plan of attack.
If you keep trying the same thing over and over, and it doesn't
improve at all, then you need to try something new.

I hate missing game play, but If I get in line with everyone else at the 45th,
then odds are I still wont be back in my seat until after the game is back on.

still_purgatory
04-06-2009, 11:07 AM
I got off the go train at 2:50...walked by all the idots lined up at gates 1 and 3 and went to 3B? is that what they call it? the gate right behind section 114? and waited in line less than 5 minutes to get in.
Walked up to the beer stand right in front of the gate and was the first in line.

Relaxed and had my beer soaked in being at BMO again... at 3:30 went to the concession stand behind 115...found a cash register with no line...got a pizza slice.

Walked up the staircase, finished my slice, walked into the bathroom behind 119/120 and there was no line up.

3:45 went to the beer stand by that bathroom and was 5th in line.

Went to my seat.

After the 2nd Seattle goal I went to the beer garden...in 1st half injury time I went to the converted bathroom behind 109...no line up...walked back over to the west side of the beer garden and bought a large beer...was 2nd in line (they had them pre-poured). Went back to my seat with 6 minutes left in halftime....all I missed was the Seattle celebration of the 2nd goal.

To be honest I spent more time waiting for beer to pour than I spent in line in total all day on Saturday.

It's possible...but you have to know the good times and good places to go get things done.

The fact is that BMO field was not designed for soccer crowds....mlsintoronto said so himself, that they weren't prepared for people to stay in their seats all game except for halftime.
Because of that you need to be flexible and be willing to admit that the closest option isn't always the best option.

Hey man, stop giving these details away ;) You're going to spoil it for the rest of us who are currently getting away with no lines due to our diligence and access plans!!

Sonny Cheeba
04-06-2009, 11:11 AM
bringing in snacks like granola bars and fruit hasn't been an issue for me. security are more concerned with smoke bombs and liquids.

i guess they don't expect me to chuck an orange, and they're right! mmmmm delicious.

Parkdale
04-06-2009, 11:15 AM
i guess they don't expect me to chuck an orange, and they're right! mmmmm delicious.

security just squeezed my bag (my backpack, seriously) to see if there were bottles of anything.

they really don't give a shit about granola bars.

Sonny Cheeba
04-06-2009, 11:17 AM
pack a snack. that's my motto.

i'm going to start bringing in costco bags of raisins and offering them to people. i get the feeling that raisins are hated on these days.

i'm bringing them back!

MrHawk
04-06-2009, 11:18 AM
That just gives people more stuff to throw :)

Imagine the complaint

"TFC Fans hit a new low these days. Rumours have it that Cooper and several other FC Dallas players were pelted with raisins."

Heathen
04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
security just squeezed my bag (my backpack, seriously) to see if there were bottles of anything.

they really don't give a shit about granola bars.

have they forgotten the nutrilite bar free-for-all after the Montreal game

Oblio2
04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
pack a snack. that's my motto.

i'm going to start bringing in costco bags of raisins and offering them to people. i get the feeling that raisins are hated on these days.

i'm bringing them back!

Raisins. Natures Candy

Parkdale
04-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Raisins. Natures Candy

deer poop. Nature's Raisins.

Whoop
04-06-2009, 12:02 PM
That just gives people more stuff to throw :)

Imagine the complaint

"TFC Fans hit a new low these days. Rumours have it that Cooper and several other FC Dallas players were pelted with raisins."

It would be funnier if it were pretzels.

dantdot
04-06-2009, 12:06 PM
It would be funnier if it were pretzels.

And here come the pretzels!
http://11.media.tumblr.com/RaAhBBk4Tjfu5g9xDJT6ROJYo1_400.jpg

TOBOR !
04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
This thread made me LOL. Do we have links to the same topic from years one and two ? Seriously - the food is crap, the prices are outrageous, the service is downright miserable, and we haven't got a DP. What has changed for year 3 ?

Fuck all.

I buy my beer from the sad bastard that climbs the stairs - and only $9.25 a can !

Marc"2L"
04-06-2009, 12:31 PM
And Paul stays silent....

Suds
04-06-2009, 12:38 PM

he's busy at Target in Niagara Falls, NY ... or at least his Twitter post says he is

Hey Paul,

Bust out the corporate credit card and buy the RPB's a cooler station for our next tailgate ... 15% off at Target this week! :D

Toronto Ruffrider
04-06-2009, 12:45 PM

I don't think concessions are Paul's domain. This sounds more like an issue that Marc Petitpas or his replacement would handle.

woolly
04-06-2009, 12:47 PM

I think he's waiting for some of the sharks to clear before swimming...

Kevvv
04-06-2009, 12:48 PM
What's he going to say? They're not building new concessions before Saturday's game.

But, like the first game(s) of last year, there seems to be a lot of new staff at the concessions and not much sense of how to serve people quicker. (Here's a suggestion - training, pair up people without a clue with someone with a clue. The server I had Saturday was fine, but I've seen some bad ones in the past.)

I'm more annoyed that I need to bring my own paper towels to dry my hands with.

Toronto Ruffrider
04-06-2009, 12:50 PM
This thread made me LOL. Do we have links to the same topic from years one and two ? Seriously - the food is crap, the prices are outrageous, the service is downright miserable, and we haven't got a DP. What has changed for year 3 ?

Fuck all.

I buy my beer from the sad bastard that climbs the stairs - and only $9.25 a can !

The food selection/quality is fine, and the prices are what one would expect for a sporting event. The service is what really needs improvement. I find it amazing that for as much work as was put into BMO Field's menu, the service side of the operation was neglected. It doesn't matter how good the food is, I'm not going to stand in line and wait 20 minutes or more to be served.

Roogsy
04-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Funny enough...I put myself through school managing fast food concessions and it really doesn't take much to train people properly and to have them service customers well.

It would seem whoever is in charge of that at BMO (and I don't believe it's Paul nor Marc) is doing a poor job of it.

dal524
04-06-2009, 12:57 PM
i refused to buy anything from bmo concessions unless im absolutely dying for food/drink after finding out the exact same can of carlsburg is $2 and change at the lcbo, and they sell it for 13! sorry but a 600% markup from the lcbo price is a bit much.

Parkdale
04-06-2009, 12:58 PM
simple fact:

most concession stands in the city (not just at BMO) are staffed by people making minimum wage.

if you want a crack team of experts, then it will cost more.

Parkdale
04-06-2009, 12:59 PM
i refused to buy anything from bmo concessions unless im absolutely dying for food/drink after finding out the exact same can of carlsburg is $2 and change at the lcbo, and they sell it for 13! sorry but a 600% markup from the lcbo price is a bit much.

is the tallboy can $13? I know the large drafts are that much.

dal524
04-06-2009, 12:59 PM
forgot to mention i agree with those of you that say people spend more time going to get food than watching the actual game, who stupid do you feel if you're in line and there is a goal scored or a crazy play that you just missed because you were waiting for your (boot/racoon/worm) hotdog.

Pyeddo
04-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Completely off topic, but where is the Scotch Egg stand located?? I was forced to get a Chicken pie (Steak was sold out)!

Roogsy
04-06-2009, 01:01 PM
simple fact:

most concession stands in the city (not just at BMO) are staffed by people making minimum wage.

if you want a crack team of experts, then it will cost more.

Not true amigo. Even kids making minimum wage can be managed into being effective customer service workers.

dal524
04-06-2009, 01:01 PM
the ones that are served by the guys walking around in the sections like 109 etc. arent those 13? i remember them being 12 something last year or am i just crazy?

Toronto Ruffrider
04-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Completely off topic, but where is the Scotch Egg stand located?? I was forced to get a Chicken pie (Steak was sold out)!

Scotch eggs are sold at the northwest concession stand, near section 127. This is unfortunate, because the people who run that stand are complete dolts, as I found out last year. If you really want a scotch egg, buy from that stand, but buy anything else from another stand.

Pyeddo
04-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Thank you Ruffrider... i literally had dreams about one all week leading up to Sat.... only to be letdown by the sheer madness of the lines

Arnie Knows
04-06-2009, 01:31 PM
$$$$$$$$$ is there in excess on these game dayzzzz..

the team just keeps raking it in..

maybe buy a CB with some beer money

Smokecell
04-06-2009, 01:38 PM

They're on sale for $2.10 at the Beer Store I work at to be exact, horrendous markup.

Miko
04-06-2009, 01:38 PM
The 127 stand is the worst place in the stadium.

Wanted to buy 2 items of food and 2 drinks. Didn't get my change (over $5). Then had to get a refund for one item as it was sold out.

Waited 10 mins to get the cup of tea I ordered and then it was slightly warm tap water and they had to refund it.

Total time in line 27 mins + 10 mins waiting for the tea and they got 25% of the order right in the end.

Brutal.

Sonny Cheeba
04-06-2009, 01:39 PM
maybe when the street vendor policies change, people will set up bovril and scotch egg stands outside of BMO.

Parkdale
04-06-2009, 01:42 PM
maybe when the street vendor policies change, people will set up bovril and scotch egg stands outside of BMO.

damn.... how about we set up a cart outside BMO selling 'grillies' for $1 a piece?

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/1/15259/15_2008/grilledcheese.jpg

I think we could retire by the end of the season.

Chevy
04-06-2009, 01:58 PM
the ones that are served by the guys walking around in the sections like 109 etc. arent those 13? i remember them being 12 something last year or am i just crazy?

Yes, I recall that they were pretty young.

We need a lot more of those poor bastards. Then I can get my kid a slice of pizza without him having to walk around the concourse for 40 minutes staring into peoples asses.:eek:

Suds
04-06-2009, 02:01 PM

If someone got a license to put food carts outside the stadium the cart owners would make a killing!!!

nfitz
04-06-2009, 02:51 PM
maybe when the street vendor policies change, people will set up bovril and scotch egg stands outside of BMO.LOL - perhaps they could pass them through the bars in the fence! :)

Kevvv
04-06-2009, 03:06 PM

IIRC: 14oz draught is $6.75, 20oz = $9.25, 28oz = $13.50, 500 ml tallboy ~ $8.50.

I can buy pop at the grocery for around $8/case on sale, sometimes less, or about $0.33/can. What's the markup on pop, 1000%? City water costs less than a penny per gallon, the markup on bottled water anywhere in the city is....

Incidentally, if you ever buy breakfast at a restaurant, you'll be shocked by the markup on eggs and toast.

TFC Tifoso
04-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Guys, mark ups on items at sporting events is nothing new.....try Canada's Wonderland or a movie theatre.....BMO Field is like a flea market in comparison....

Kevvv
04-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Exactly. Don't like the markup, keep your money in your pocket. But to come in here you'd think BMO Field invented mark-ups.

Brooker
04-06-2009, 03:17 PM
better be some improvement next weekend. completely amateur.

do they PLAN this stuff at all? or do they just throw random people behind the counters and open the gates?

nfitz
04-06-2009, 03:23 PM
do they PLAN this stuff at all? or do they just throw random people behind the counters and open the gates?One does get the impression that someone skimped on the dress-rehearsal! Fortunately we all know that MLSE has class, so I'm sure they'll do something. I'd suggest a discount of some kind, but that would only make the queues longer.

What would be nice to see are more of the stands that just sell one thing. How about a stand just selling scotch eggs somewhere; nothing else. It wouldn't take much space, I'd love to get my hands on one, but there's no way I'm going to queue forever ... so unless I'm peckish and get there early, I'm never going to get one.

Suds
04-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Exactly. Don't like the markup, keep your money in your pocket. But to come in here you'd think BMO Field invented mark-ups.

the issue for me is not the cost .. I expect to pay the prices for food/beer they charge at BMO .. and you're right, it's not more than any other venue and you don't have to buy anything if you don't want to ...

the issue is the poor service or what seems to be a lack of well trained staff at the concessions .. and the lack of math skills to handle money is atrocious.

I'm hoping it's opening day issues and staff still learning the ropes. But history is showing us that there has not been much improvement.

TheHollister
04-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I remember last year, people were allowed to bring in their own water bottle as long as it was empty and had no cap (and then could fill it up at the fountain inside). Is that still in effect?

Pookie
04-06-2009, 03:51 PM
To me, it's not so much the cost... I expect to pay more at an event. It's not the math skills because even a chart doesn't solve the fundamental issue that the system is flawed.

The current system involves:

1. Taking an order
2. Getting a can
3. Opening the can
4. Pouring the beer
5. Putting a lid on
6. Taking payment
7. Returning product and change

(for draught systems steps 2 and 3 are combined).

If they pre-poured the most popular beers, say 5 minutes before the half, your system becomes:

1. Take order
2. Take payment
3. Return product and change

The beer won't go flat within the short time frame we are talking about and it would speed up the line.

A more expensive but workable solution would be to model the concessions after Webber's on Highway 11.

Long lines in the summer are the norm at this burger stop on the way to Cottage Country. But they solved it by having at least 2 workers taking your order while you are in line. You pay for it while waiting in line, receive your change and by the time you get to the counter it's ready.

nfitz
04-06-2009, 04:20 PM
A more expensive but workable solution would be to model the concessions after Webber's on Highway 11.Having driven past there in the summer, and not stopped because of the line crossing the overpass, down the overside, and outside, I'd suggest that this NOT be a model to follow!

Pookie
04-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Having driven past there in the summer, and not stopped because of the line crossing the overpass, down the overside, and outside, I'd suggest that this NOT be a model to follow!

You'd be surprised how quickly they can move a line like that through.

dal524
04-06-2009, 05:18 PM
IIRC: 14oz draught is $6.75, 20oz = $9.25, 28oz = $13.50, 500 ml tallboy ~ $8.50.

I can buy pop at the grocery for around $8/case on sale, sometimes less, or about $0.33/can. What's the markup on pop, 1000%? City water costs less than a penny per gallon, the markup on bottled water anywhere in the city is....

Incidentally, if you ever buy breakfast at a restaurant, you'll be shocked by the markup on eggs and toast.

i dont think u can compare a restaurant meal to a can of beer, that involves prep and actual service, im well aware of markups, but to sell that shitty beer for $13 is a ripoff. think about 3 beers is almost 3 season tickets in the supporters section, what would u rather have? im well aware that markups are huge at sporting events put mlse has to be the worst, and to have horrible service in order to get it is the icing on the cake.

Erkan16
04-06-2009, 06:05 PM
And here come the pretzels!
http://11.media.tumblr.com/RaAhBBk4Tjfu5g9xDJT6ROJYo1_400.jpg

i started laughing my ass off at work today when i saw this. it brough back so many memories.

WHITEY FORD IS PLEADING WITH THE CROWD FOR SOME KIND OF SANITY....

AND THEN.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/80/Simpsonswhiteyford.png/200px-Simpsonswhiteyford.png

bwahahahahha

Marc"2L"
04-06-2009, 07:13 PM
If I'm calling out Paul it's not to charge him with failing to do anything about it.

It's the very real concern of...

If shit like this happens, people will start getting annoyed and people talk... I would hate to see people come less often because of what they expect to be terrible service. If I didn't know better and just read all of these comments I wouldn't bother bringing any money to BMO.

Kevvv
04-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Lots of people don't bring money to BMO, that's why the ABM line-ups are so long.

The slow service at the concessions is a particular aggravation at the begining of the season, when all the staff seem new (new to the place, new to cash register technology, new to the concepts of hustle, customer service, and getting more than one item at a time). It will get a bit better, some servers will get a lot better. And some people will arrive at the game a few minutes early so they can get their grub without waiting in line.

Where's craiger's post from this time last year? He hit every point in one post (in one long, run-on sentence, if I remember right) , and every word applies today as much as it did then. No-one's going to stop coming because they can't get a beer and a pizza slice and a piss. Choices will be made.

nfitz
04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Lots of people don't bring money to BMO, that's why the ABM line-ups are so long.I'm quite perplexed why someone would show up at a soccer game where they'd be buying things without money. There's lots of issues, but I think in that case, those who can't be bothered to bring money, have themselves to blame!

Marc"2L"
04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Lots of people don't bring money to BMO, that's why the ABM line-ups are so long.

No-one's going to stop coming because they can't get a beer and a pizza slice and a piss. Choices will be made.

A) You seem to have missed the point with that one but it wasn't obvious. I mean not buy anything. Just stop contributing money to the gameday haul.
B) Lots of people will start looking at it as an "ok experience" or maybe even a bad one. To say the service experience doesn't affect the bottom line is crazy.

McHaggis
04-06-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm quite perplexed why someone would show up at a soccer game where they'd be buying things without money. There's lots of issues, but I think in that case, those who can't be bothered to bring money, have themselves to blame!

Lots of people don't carry cash, period. These people have to spend time lined up at ATMs. There are enough lineups at BMO in which to stand without adding this one. Plenty of lonely bank machines on the way to BMO that these folks could use.

nfitz
04-06-2009, 10:26 PM
To say the service experience doesn't affect the bottom line is crazy.It certainly effects the bottom line. I was quite peckish at the half- but I took one look at the lines and didn't even think of getting somethin; and just grabbed a beer on the steps up to my seat.

I'm sure MSLE is more sickened by the lost revenue than anything else!

Kevvv
04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
A) You seem to have missed the point with that one but it wasn't obvious. I mean not buy anything. Just stop contributing money to the gameday haul.

It was obvious, you seem to have missed the joke. Point is, if they stop selling out it won't be because of the chip butty lineup. Eventually Gordon Ramsay will come in and tell them they could make 50% more money if they can improve customer flow. But as I've already said, game 1 is always the worst for service.

tml
04-06-2009, 11:36 PM
i dont think u can compare a restaurant meal to a can of beer, that involves prep and actual service, im well aware of markups, but to sell that shitty beer for $13 is a ripoff. think about 3 beers is almost 3 season tickets in the supporters section, what would u rather have? im well aware that markups are huge at sporting events put mlse has to be the worst, and to have horrible service in order to get it is the icing on the cake.

so the price went up 3 dollars on a tall boy
Last season I believe a tall boy can was 9.50 or so..it's 13 now????

Azerban
04-07-2009, 12:12 AM
stopped buying food ever since i got a partially frozen hot dog in season 1, and higher prices and longer lines haven't convinced me to ever return

i'd pretty much rather starve to death

nfitz
04-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Last season I believe a tall boy can was 9.50 or so..it's 13 now????When I first got there, I looked at the prices, and my first reaction is that they were cheaper; I think though that they were unchanged. But my memory may be cheating me.

Suds
04-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Last season I believe a tall boy can was 9.50 or so..it's 13 now????

Tallboy cans were $8.75 in the beer garden for Canadian, Carlsberg, and Carlsberg Lite. I believe Tetleys was a higher price.

Not sure where the $13 number came from. Maybe for a large draft??

Pookie
04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
2 beers cost me $18.25 (or $18.75... can't remember).

As for the cash, I'm not sure why they can't use one of those VISA or Mastercard Quick pays... Timmie's has Mastercard on the drive thru...

You'd at least remove the congestion of people lining up at the ATM

KdotOdot
04-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Can I get a "Woah Hide a mickey in your crotch and buy a giant Cola to mix it with so it lasts the whole game"

Roogsy
04-07-2009, 05:14 PM
2 beers cost me $18.25 (or $18.75... can't remember).

As for the cash, I'm not sure why they can't use one of those VISA or Mastercard Quick pays... Timmie's has Mastercard on the drive thru...

You'd at least remove the congestion of people lining up at the ATM

Seriously....such an easy fix that would alleviate much of the crowding. Dunno why it hasn't been done.

Brooker
04-07-2009, 06:38 PM
i think i'll follow your lead, kdotodot