PDA

View Full Version : carver's post game press conference

mastermixer
04-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I just watched the press conference with coach and although I give props to him for speaking the truth, i think you have to be carefull criticizing your players too much, especially to the press. He said some pretty direct criticisms about some of the players, and I hope stuff like that doesnt cause any team issues. But man, you gotta love his passion for this team and the fans!!:canada:

MFG1
04-04-2009, 07:51 PM
how many time does it take to tell the same guys to shit or get off the pot?

J-Man
04-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Carver looked really pissed at news confrence tonight i like the fire he has in his eyes you know that he is going to be working the team so hard this week so they don't play this bad next week.

Ron Manager
04-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Wow. The man is pissed. And rightfully so.

bhoybobby
04-04-2009, 08:15 PM
He picked that team, he should be pissed

LucaGol
04-04-2009, 08:18 PM
So who gets to be pissed at him for employing such horrendous tactics.

I'm hearing a lot of talk from this man ... a lot ... as for the results ... boh.

I dunno, is it the players is it the coach? ... who the f knows what goes on in practice and in the dressing room.

Redcoe15
04-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Can't blame JC one bit. This was TFC's home opener, expectations were high for a great season, and we get schooled by a first year expansion team. Here's hoping he rides his players hard this week for next Saturday's game against Dallas.

FCBarcelona
04-04-2009, 08:23 PM
I just watched the press conference with coach and although I give props to him for speaking the truth, i think you have to be carefull criticizing your players too much, especially to the press. He said some pretty direct criticisms about some of the players, and I hope stuff like that doesnt cause any team issues. But man, you gotta love his passion for this team and the fans!!:canada:
========
i'm not a carver fan he views on the game situations is too old for time and eara,
if this is true he finger pointing players he sit them or suspend them after today brutal performence.

mastermixer

I'm hearing a lot of talk from this man ... a lot ... as for the results ... boh.

I dunno, is it the players is it the coach? ... who the f knows what goes on in practice and in the dressing room.

well based on the press conference he seems to be putting all the blame on the players :noidea:

Ratven
A strategy is as good as the people to employ it.. if no one is buying in, and WORSE, if no one is putting in any effort... then any strategy you put out there isn't going to work.

Shakes McQueen
04-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Man, I've seen Carver give some pretty explosive press conferences, but he looked like he was about to cry he was so angry.

A few things I was glad he said:

- Defending isn't all about the back four. If your midfielders aren't defending for you, you end up leaving your backs in a bad position. Folks tend to dump on our back four a lot, but goals like today's were definitely a failure on the part of the entire team, not just individual errors from our CB's.

- Carver can strategize all he wants, but once the game starts, it's up to the players to execute. And as usual, our guys started resorting to long ball nonsense, that definitely wasn't the result of a change in strategy.

- From what I heard, it sounds like Dichio will be starting our next match. Carver acknowledged that we were a better side with him out there in the second half.

This was a tremendously disappointing result, but hopefully we can get our groove back against lowly Dallas next weekend. We have a lot of season ahead of us - who knows, come July-August we could be looking back and laughing.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
04-04-2009, 08:28 PM

I really think the long ball nonsense is more a result of the guys on the pitch getting frustrated, and not being creative, than a conscious choice of tactics on Carver's part.

Look at week one - our offense was flying, and the long ball rarely reared it's head. Week two our offense was frustrated, so the long ball crept back in. This week, same thing.

One thing I would like to see again, is DeRo in a second striker role with Vitti, and have Cronin start in midfield.

It just seems when we get behind, our guys essentially get panicky, and start lobbing the ball, and praying for some lucky bounces.

- Scott

TFC FORZA RPB
04-04-2009, 08:30 PM
JC was honest, it was a brutal performance, and hopefully it doesn't happen again, but that's just the way it goes.

Robinson as well, they all know that they didn't play their best, hopefully that changes for next week.

Personally I would love to see Marvel Wynne in as RM because he does have the speed, to attack the defense but if that would happen, I believe the back four would suffer.

Danny bring's his presence and for some reason everyone seems to play just a little bit better when he is on the pitch.

Is their any word of when we might see O'brian White?

Shakes McQueen
04-04-2009, 08:32 PM
JC was honest, it was a brutal performance, and hopefully it doesn't happen again, but that's just the way it goes.

Robinson as well, they all know that they didn't play their best, hopefully that changes for next week.

Personally I would love to see Marvel Wynne in as RM because he does have the speed, to attack the defense but if that would happen, I believe the back four would suffer.

Danny bring's his presence and for some reason everyone seems to play just a little bit better when he is on the pitch.

Is their any word of when we might see O'brian White?

Just going off memory, I believe we were told he wouldn't be ready until around July, when we first drafted him.

Can't wait to see the kid in action.

- Scott

ginkster88
04-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Let's go back to the week one line-up and see if that does anything... today was rough to watch.

TOBOR !
04-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I think Carver has to take as much heat for this performance as anyone on the team - starting Barrett for one thing and bringing Smith on as a sub for another.

Stryker
04-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Kudos to JC for speaking his mind.
Do we want coaches here who are gonna coddle players regardless of how badly they may play?
Fuuuuuuuck that!

Oblio2
04-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Vitti is shit.
$280k. Fuck off

Markham_RPB
04-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Vitti is shit.
$280k. Fuck off

It's been 3 games honestly.

Give him a chance , I'm not saying he's been our best player , but he hasnt hurt the team what so ever !

Give it more time in the season atleast , if you care to make such comments

Oblio2
04-04-2009, 09:59 PM
No. 3 games is enough for me. Ive seen enough football in my life to know, that this is not a top player. Just my opinion. You may not agree, which is fine-I have no problem with that.
As of right now, I also tthink that Ricketts and Barrett can go too.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Cant say i even come close to that stance on Vitti.
I look forward to that dude progressing further every game

Oblio2
04-04-2009, 10:04 PM
I hope he does, I really do. I just dont see it.
If Im wrong, I'll happily admit it. I am sure though, I wont have to. Unfortunately

Rocco
04-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Carver cares a great deal. You can see it on his face. I think it's great that he's letting us know about his feelings. It gives me a little reassurance that he understands the pain of watching a complacent team that we love. I applaud Carver for being honest with the fans and the media.

Roogsy
04-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Vitti is shit.
$280k. Fuck off

Can't disagree more. Maybe he needs some time to gel, but his runs and the danger he poses is real. The team currently has different problems. We've been talking about a CB for a long time. If we are constantly tracking back to defend, we will never be able to move forward.

Markham_RPB
04-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Can't disagree more. Maybe he needs some time to gel, but his runs and the danger he poses is real. The team currently has different problems. We've been talking about a CB for a long time. If we are constantly tracking back to defend, we will never be able to move forward.

Agreed.
Vitti is the least of our problems , and hes quite dangerous when given the opportunity to run on the flanks !

Give more time to gel and develop I think Vitti will come around !

windsorlad111
04-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Vitti is shit.
$280k. Fuck off

we endured Cuntingham. this is nothing.

Stryker
04-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Vitti would be the top scorer in the league right now if he had players around him who knew how to feed him properly.
A lame wing player on his side isn't helping matters.

Roogsy
04-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Word.

Oblio2
04-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Again, I hope Im wrong.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-04-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm prepared to see more of Vitti. There's not much else at the moment.

FluSH
04-04-2009, 10:18 PM
where's our backline??!?!?!?

FluSH
04-04-2009, 10:18 PM
we endured Cuntingham. this is nothing.

well said

torontocelt
04-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Vitti is shit.
$280k. Fuck off

I would not say he is shit, he has some good qualities as a footballer. I think his main problem is that he seems to have been given a free role and he ends up all over the place. It must be hard for a strike partner to link with him if they have no idea where he actually is. I think he would be a lot better staying to certain areas and taking it from there. Also he has been teaming with Barrett and for me they are too similar and do not compliment each other well. Having two small guys in attack and supplying them with long, high balls is not going to get the best out of either of them. Vitti is not shit, he just has not had any decent service and unfortunately some people on this board have proclaimed his as some kind of messiah before actually seeing him play a few games and ultimately this will lead to disappointment when they realise he is not as good as they thought. Just because someone is an Argie or a Brazilian doesn't always mean that they are a great player. Celtic once spent 6 million pounds on a Brazilian called Rafeal Schitd and he was as good as his name would suggest. It would be wrong after 3 games to dismiss Vitti altogether, TFC has worse players than him.

rocker
04-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Vitti is fine. We should not be questioning his worth, of all the players on the team.

He almost had 2 goals today, if not for a bullshit call by a ref or by an amazing save. Can't fault him there.

twistedchinaman
04-04-2009, 10:58 PM
This was a shitcake wrapped in a turd -- JC should be mad.

But despite the shitcake show that was turned on it was simply aggravated by the absolutely bloody gawdawful refereeing (again, the damn referee might as well be wearing a puke green Sounders shirt). Vitti looked good, the chances were fantastic when they actually did happen, but all it seems disjointed -- EVERYONE played as ones and not as a unit.

Frustrating, but...

Keyman
04-04-2009, 11:01 PM
I felt like I was watching a team coached by Dale Mitchell today! Blast the ball, lose the ball, blast the ball, lose the ball. Oh well.

ilikemusic
04-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Hey guys!

You think we should get a DP striker? :noidea:

:banghead:

Stryker
04-04-2009, 11:05 PM
With regards to booting the ball downfield into the waiting laps of an opponent...Sutton and Brennen just don't seem to get it.

jloome
04-04-2009, 11:11 PM
We have some lineup issues.

1) Vitti is a forward, not a striker. He could be a 10-15 goal a year guy in this league if he was playing with teammates of the same ability, nonetheless. Did you see the way he broke off his defender into freespace repeatedly today?

But he has no confidence as a scorer. He always looks to pass, not to score, and that shows in his record. Carver should fine him sprints for every time he passes the ball within 18 yards, then remove each fine for every shot get he gets on target. Get his mind on somethign other than the pressure of scoring, or something.

But getting rid of him would be lunacy. He's easily -- easily -- a good enough player to be effective in MLS, he just looks more in mold of an Eddie Gaven or Chris Rolfe right now than a Juan Pablo Angel.

2) I do like Carver. But I wonder if he's not coaching above his players' ability. We essentially got beaten by simple tactics tonight: Seattle slowed things down, spread the field and closed quickly on defense. That's pretty much it.

Meanwhile, for the umpteenth time, Carver was targeting our offence down both wings with those small runs and support play, to target Seattle's specific weakness, its wingbacks.

How about this: how about we recognize that defensively, we are weak in multiple positions. Dero, Guevara and, occasionally , Ricketts all aren't too effective going back. We're overstocked with attacking mids, because we're forcing two central players on the field at the same time, so that one (usually DeRo) is generally out of his natural space to move and cut.

So we should recognize Barrett's current terrible form -- terrible, fucking terrible, regardless of his potential and workrate -- and play a regular flat four mid, with Cronin and Guevara crossing over so that most of the time cronin is paired centrally with robinson on defense, and Guevara is taking on the wingback.

Put Dero behind vitti -- or vice-versa, as they play very similarly -- upfront, and have Guevara and Cronin on the swtich offensively, so that guevara is coming inside behind the strikers.

Then, we do exactly what Seattle did today: slow.everything.the.fuck.down. Hold possession, make short support runs, bring the ball up, then hold it up so that the defense and central mids can move into supporting roles.

Fuck, fuck fuckfuckfcuck. Sorry. I'm pissed.

We were shit today. Seattle was shit, too, for most of the match. They had three good offensive moves; Ljunberg, Alonso and Hurtado could all obviously play at a much higher levels. Other than that, it was an entirely beatable team and we just tossed away points.

twistedchinaman
04-04-2009, 11:14 PM

1) Vitti is a forward, not a striker. He could be a 10-15 goal a year guy in this league if he was playing with teammates of the same ability, nonetheless. Did you see the way he broke off his defender into freespace repeatedly today?

But he has no confidence as a scorer. He always looks to pass, not to score, and that shows in his record. Carver should fine him sprints for every time he passes the ball within 18 yards, then remove each fine for every shot get he gets on target. Get his mind on somethign other than the pressure of scoring, or something.

But getting rid of him would be lunacy. He's easily -- easily -- a good enough player to be effective in MLS, he just looks more in mold of an Eddie Gaven or Chris Rolfe right now than a Juan Pablo Angel.

2) I do like Carver. But I wonder if he's not coaching above his players' ability. We essentially got beaten by simple tactics tonight: Seattle slowed things down, spread the field and closed quickly on defense. That's pretty much it.

Meanwhile, for the umpteenth time, Carver was targeting our offence down both wings with those small runs and support play, to target Seattle's specific weakness, its wingbacks.

How about this: how about we recognize that defensively, we are weak in multiple positions. Dero, Guevara and, occasionally , Ricketts all aren't too effective going back. We're overstocked with attacking mids, because we're forcing two central players on the field at the same time, so that one (usually DeRo) is generally out of his natural space to move and cut.

So we should recognize Barrett's current terrible form -- terrible, fucking terrible, regardless of his potential and workrate -- and play a regular flat four mid, with Cronin and Guevara crossing over so that most of the time cronin is paired centrally with robinson on defense, and Guevara is taking on the wingback.

Put Dero behind vitti -- or vice-versa, as they play very similarly -- upfront, and have Guevara and Cronin on the swtich offensively, so that guevara is coming inside behind the strikers.

Then, we do exactly what Seattle did today: slow.everything.the.fuck.down. Hold possession, make short support runs, bring the ball up, then hold it up so that the defense and central mids can move into supporting roles.

We were shit today. Seattle was shit, too, for most of the match. They had three good offensive moves; Ljunberg, Alonso and Hurtado could all obviously play at a much higher levels. Other than that, it was an entirely beatable team and we just tossed away points.

THANK YOU!

Also, you pass to the same colour, NOT TO THE OTHER ONE!!!!!

Stryker
04-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Guevara beats people who attack him, not the reverse.
IMO he simply wouldn't work as a wing.
A tree formation... as I mentioned in another thread would address a number of these issues.

Pachuco
04-04-2009, 11:24 PM

We got absolutely fucking schooled by Seattle in every sence of the word. I have no idea what game you watch to say Seattle is an entirely beatable team. THEY ARE 3-0 WITH 7 GOALS FOR 0 AGAINST. WAKE UP. They are 100 times better then our team and they played that way with their best player off the field.

Today's loss is the most embarrasing in TFC history!

backbeat
04-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Vitti was one of our stronger players today - man i froze but not as much as our TFC!!

Cronin should have been in the starting 11 with Dero up behind Vitti and no Barrett - dero would have helped on the attack and cronin on the defence to support the back four and a jet-lagged Robinson and Guevara.

my buck and a half

and for another 2 cents please, please, please bring in a big, solid CB now.....

Pachuco
04-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Carver's rating today, a big fat fucking 0. Take some god damn responsibility today for getting absolutely out coached by someone who had his team ready to play in Toronto, one of the most hostile environments to play in the MLS.

loconet
04-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Carver's rating today, a big fat fucking 0. Take some god damn responsibility today for getting absolutely out coached by someone who had his team ready to play in Toronto, one of the most hostile environments to play in the MLS.

So much for hostile. They wiped our asses. They can now be happy they have very good chances of winning anywhere.

bhoybobby
04-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Vitti is shit.
$280k. Fuck off

Vitty will be vewwy good. Btw, if you look up shit in the dicktionary you see a pic of RR, He is crao, has been since he's been here.

Stryker
04-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Yeah I'm really starting to think that one brilliant game last year and good personality has blinded us far too long.
Think he'd have any trade value?

Roogsy
04-04-2009, 11:56 PM
We got absolutely fucking schooled by Seattle in every sence of the word. I have no idea what game you watch to say Seattle is an entirely beatable team. THEY ARE 3-0 WITH 7 GOALS FOR 0 AGAINST. WAKE UP. They are 100 times better then our team and they played that way with their best player off the field.

Today's loss is the most embarrasing in TFC history!

Pachuco...you do this quite often. You don't speak to Jloome's points but rather simply shoot down his post and only reinforce your own belief.

Jloome's points are valid and I would have to agree. Do you know WHY Seattle is 3-0 with no goals against? Because Sigi is a good manager and is having his players play exactly like he wants them to. Not because they are some spectacular team.

Jeremy is right. This team was beatable today. Especially in our house. The problem? Tactics and execution. Seattle knew what they wanted to play and executed. Toronto looked lost. I don't know if it's Carver not putting in a proper game plan or the players not executing it, but the plain fact of the matter is that Seattle didn't do anything exceptional and therefore were indeed a beatable team.

Roogsy
04-04-2009, 11:57 PM
I felt like I was watching a team coached by Dale Mitchell today! Blast the ball, lose the ball, blast the ball, lose the ball. Oh well.

Seriously. We couldn't keep the ball for 30 seconds. And forget about winning the ball from them. That simply did not happen.

Pachuco
04-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Pachuco...you do this quite often. You don't speak to Jloome's points but rather simply shoot down his post and only reinforce your own belief.

Jloome's points are valid and I would have to agree. Do you know WHY Seattle is 3-0 with no goals against? Because Sigi is a good manager and is having his players play exactly like he wants them to. Not because they are some spectacular team.

Jeremy is right. This team was beatable today. Especially in our house. The problem? Tactics and execution. Seattle knew what they wanted to play and executed. Toronto looked lost. I don't know if it's Carver not putting in a proper game plan or the players not executing it, but the plain fact of the matter is that Seattle didn't do anything exceptional and therefore were indeed a beatable team.

Well, I rarely agree with the guy. What can I say. Alot of people disagree with me and constantly call me out for shit I say.

Roogsy
04-05-2009, 12:01 AM
That's perfectly fine...but at some point you have to backup your opinion with some analysis. Jeremy does that all the time.

jloome
04-05-2009, 12:13 AM
That's perfectly fine...but at some point you have to backup your opinion with some analysis. Jeremy does that all the time.

Thanks for the defence roogsy but he's on my ignore list for a reason. He got schooled in some debate a month ago and has been trolling around after me ever since. It's a shame, because I generally respect his opinion and we're often saying the same thing in a different way (measured and restrained versus volcanially manic, apparently. Seattle and Toronto were statiscally even today, which says something for how dominant they are.)

Ah well.

Pachuco
04-05-2009, 12:17 AM

Look, on this point specifically, I'm getting really annoyed with people here continuing to suggest Seattle is shit and they are lucky. They haven't shown that they are a beatable team. As you say, they seem to buy the coach's plan and execute it to perfection. Those teams are the hardest to beat, not the ones full of stars who play individually (that's how we looked today).

So to my point, at no point did we ever look like we can beat Seattle. At some point we have to give them credit.

Pachuco
04-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the defence roogsy but he's on my ignore list for a reason. He got schooled in some debate a month ago and has been trolling around after me ever since. It's a shame, because I generally respect his opinion and we're often saying the same thing in a different way (measured and restrained versus volcanially manic, apparently. Seattle and Toronto were statiscally even today, which says something for how dominant they are.)

Ah well.

Fucking childish to say I got schooled in a debate a month ago, wtf are you even talking about? even more childish that you can't handle an argument with me so you put me on your ignore list ;)

Stryker
04-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Actually Pachuco Toronto had more chances today. Most of them in the second half.
The difference was that Seattle made the most of theirs more often than not.

Pachuco
04-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Actually Pachuco Toronto had more chances today. Most of them in the second half.
The difference was that Seattle made the most of theirs more often than not.

Ummm...when our own coach says we got beat by the better side, it worries me that some people on this board don't see we got crushed today. We stood no chance of winning today. We lost 2-0, it was no fluke.

Stryker
04-05-2009, 12:25 AM

K

Dirk Diggler
04-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Carver needs to stop harping on the players. At this point in time, there are only two people to share the blame. Either Carver for not putting in a sound game plan and/or Mo for providing him with shit players to coach. We're a third year team now. I don't want to hear any more excuses from the Mo/Carver apologists.

tfc
04-05-2009, 12:54 AM

omg, being a coach is great when you've got hindsight isn't it? jesus christ, get a fucking perspective, its one thing to analyze the loss, its another to be shockingly negative about YOUR team.

we are what? supporters? apparently not with some of the posts tonight ...

MFG1
04-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Vitti is shit.
$280k. Fuck off

really? he's a beanpole, thats not what they are paying him, cant be

Krasno.pL.
04-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Vitti
id pay 280 for him. no problem.
hes a great talent.. let him get used to the league and let him get used to his surroundings... he cant jump in and start fuckin about.
the players need to learn how to play off /with him

pepher
04-05-2009, 08:32 AM
"Carver can strategize all he wants, but once the game starts, it's up to the players to execute." The players didn't hold up their end. They were awful and i'm expecting one hell of a bounce back game this coming weekend...

djking2
04-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Starting Ricketts over Cronin was a gaff but taking Vitti out for Smith plain stupid.

ensco
04-05-2009, 09:09 AM

I disagree about Seattle's quality. Not saying they'll win the MLS Cup, but Seattle's defensive marking was far superior to ours. Especially on DeRo, who was not given any room - you could see the frustration on his face. Our possession problems weren't 100% because we were brain dead - Seattle helped cause them.

One guy who is really starting to worry me is Brennan. His (and Ricketts) problems make it easier for teams to overload on DeRo. Jimmy B is really struggling, and while he had that nice nutmeg late, apart from that he was almost as bad as Ricketts.

mclaren
04-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Vitti was one of the few players who showed passion out there. South American players often get called out for their unwillingness to be tough in the tackle, but he was out there, chasing players down, and making hard tackles - one of the few players he did. Just for that, I like him as a player. You can tell he cares and wants to be a success here. He did a lot more than Barrett today.

Pachuco
04-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Starting Ricketts over Cronin was a gaff but taking Vitti out for Smith plain stupid.

Couldn't agree with you more. I guess you win some you lose some. I'll give Carver credit for making two good subs, Dichio and Cronin.

FluSH
04-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Is Vitti injured? We were chatting half-drunk at Shoeless Joe's yesterday and someone brought up the point that we were sold damaged goods unfortunately and that Vitti was in serious pain at yesterday's game... any thought?

Sonny Cheeba
04-05-2009, 11:35 AM
he had a knee-brace type deal on his left knee...

Pachuco
04-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Is Vitti injured? We were chatting half-drunk at Shoeless Joe's yesterday and someone brought up the point that we were sold damaged goods unfortunately and that Vitti was in serious pain at yesterday's game... any thought?

Wow, that would be some terrible news. He's on loan though, so does that mean we could dump him right back and off our cap hit if he's actually injured?

I have no idea how these loans work.

Krasno.pL.
04-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Injured or not.
he played better than rest :)

gtaguy
04-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Vitti was probably the most dangerous guy for our team yesterday. as much as i am not impressed with him he actually tried his ass off at getting a goal for us.
Barrett. I really wanted to believe that this was going to be a break out year for him but i think its going the other way. I think hes losing his confidence as the season continues.
Dichio.. seriously this guy is just a solid player when hes on the field . if his age and his tiring legs weren't a problem he would bag a goal a game or an assist for us everytime.
Dero. wish he had someone to make great plays to up front.
Guevara . i see that when he starts complaining to the ref is cause hes pissed and is showing his desire to win. still an act on the field but he tfc.
Ricketts.. hes a great PR guy but a flop on the field. he shows flashes of a good player but they are just to far between.
I think that carvers strategy for games is VERY predictable. no creativiity whatsoever . this team has to learn to become a one touch passing group.
too much pussyfooting is going on with the ball and its allowing the opposite team time to get in close on the player and block or deflect shots.. Way to many times the ball is lost mid field...
Only problem is that i don't think toronto can put 3 passes together without giving the ball away.

Also i notice that apart from dichio there really is no point to play the balls in the air becuase toronto players never win them or know what to do with them when they do win one.

As for our back line booting the ball to wherever it goes well i think this is a sign of weakness and insecurity. I don't care if you do it .. all i ask is to atleast try to generate a chance when booting it downfield. why don't you try to set those balls infront of a forward or midfielder on the wings.. have him chase the ball down generate a play on their end..

If i was carver i would have this team working on one touch passes up and down the field all fricken week..

romburgundy
04-05-2009, 04:26 PM
I think we need to see more of Jimmy on the left wing. Though he didn't have the best game it was undeniable that he's a force to be reckoned with on the left wing.

DRock
04-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I think guevara showed alot of passion during the game, he was getting pissed at the bad calls, i mean REALLY pissed. When he missed the header you could see his frustration. It looks like he's going to be better this season than last, he's already got 2, almost made it 3 yesterday.

jloome
04-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I disagree about Seattle's quality. Not saying they'll win the MLS Cup, but Seattle's defensive marking was far superior to ours. Especially on DeRo, who was not given any room - you could see the frustration on his face. Our possession problems weren't 100% because we were brain dead - Seattle helped cause them.

One guy who is really starting to worry me is Brennan. His (and Ricketts) problems make it easier for teams to overload on DeRo. Jimmy B is really struggling, and while he had that nice nutmeg late, apart from that he was almost as bad as Ricketts.

I don't necessarily disagree that Seattle are good compared to us; or even compared to the rest of the league. I think they're pretty much exactly like New ENgland, Chicago and Columbus: balanced from back to front, with go-to guys at each level.

I guess the resentment of the gushing comes from my belief that ANY league where the teams average over 14,000 fans a game should be MOSTLY made up of teams like that. In other word, Seattle aren't so good as most of MLS is unbalanced and poor.

I have to say, a lot of that goes to the management of these teams. TFC may be very profitable, but the number of good players we've either passed on or moved on to another team where they've done better speaks directly to how poorly some of our personnel management has been. Seattle, Chicago, Columbus and New England don't have that problem, and they have credible results to show for it.