PDA

View Full Version : Do you think TFC should have more Canadians?

RedsYNWA
05-29-2008, 08:55 AM
I think it's a shame that only 2 Canadians are starters for our team
I say sign Atiba Hutchinson the boy can play anywhere in Midfield and as a striker, he is versitile, young, hails from Brampton.
How much can he possibly cost?

Heathen
05-29-2008, 08:59 AM
I say sign Atiba Hutchinson the boy can play anywhere in Midfield and as a striker, he is versitile, young, hails from Brampton.

I'd estimate about 3 million pounds ($6m), out of our price range I'm afraid, apparently his brother's quite good, well in the TSSL Div 4 anyway :o

Azerban
05-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Not if it means sacrificing competitive quality.

Sorry, but the CSA sucks, and we should in no way be a feeder team for them.

Parkdale
05-29-2008, 09:02 AM
The ones we would want, we can't have
and the ones we can have, we don't want.

akoto
05-29-2008, 09:05 AM

exactly. Its sad but true.

Billy the kid
05-29-2008, 09:07 AM
I don't think it's TFC job to stock the national team, I'd rather have a few Canadians playing among internationals at a higher level, than several Canadians playing at a lower level league. We already have that in the USL. Once Vancouver or Montreal are in, we will have a few more Canadians playing at a slightly higher level.

RedsYNWA
05-29-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm not saying we should be a feeder team, but it would be nice to get a player with heart and soul from our city just like Steve Gerrard for Liverpool.
What are we going to do when our skipper hangs them up?

SilverSamurai
05-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Yes, but this will take time for more than 2 Canadians to be in the starting 11.
The academy is a 1st step but we need more MLS teams to make it a reality...

Northern Soul
05-29-2008, 09:21 AM

That, and the fact that if we could stock up on the top Canadian players, any time there was a National Team game, we'd be screwed.

RedsYNWA
05-29-2008, 09:24 AM
We have more english internationals than Arsenal LOL

Northern Soul
05-29-2008, 09:26 AM
We have more english internationals than Arsenal LOL

0? Who on our team is an England international?

GabrielHurl
05-29-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm not saying we should be a feeder team, but it would be nice to get a player with heart and soul from our city just like Steve Gerrard for Liverpool.
What are we going to do when our skipper hangs them up?

Hiya

http://i25.tinypic.com/29nf04w.jpg

RedsYNWA
05-29-2008, 09:34 AM
0? Who on our team is an England international?

Dichi had one under 21 cap:D

BeachRed
Yes, but this will take time for more than 2 Canadians to be in the starting 11.
The academy is a 1st step but we need more MLS teams to make it a reality...

That's right, it'll take time. It's like we've come in the middle of the game, players are all under contracts that don't suddenly disappear because we got an expansion team.

Like someone said (about something else, but it applies), it's like trying to change a flat tire on a moving car.

Ask this question again in ten years, see where we are then.

jabbronies
hopfully the TFC Academy team will start to produce some proper Canadian talent. Right now, under the old system, most of them are shit.

GabrielHurl
05-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Dichi had one under 21 cap:D

Walcott has England caps

ccopela
05-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Ricketts has some under 21 caps too

egoodwin
05-29-2008, 09:53 AM
if there is a good Canadian player in a spot that we need filled, by all means sign him

But it's stupid to sign a Canadian player for the sake of him being Canadian...

RedsYNWA
05-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Don't we have a domestic player quota?

Red CB Toronto
05-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Canadian players are important for us, so we need to get the best ones possible we we can afford.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Give it time, itll happen, right now its just not a reality

trane
05-29-2008, 10:39 AM

That is it in a nutshell, Parky.

OneLoveOneEric
05-29-2008, 10:40 AM
I want to win lots of games. I don't care if our players are from Antarctica.

trane
05-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Parky, you watched Academy play, did they any Canadian kid that stood out?

profit89
05-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I want to win lots of games. I don't care if our players are from Antarctica.

Exactly

TFC07
05-29-2008, 11:17 AM
In the future, MLS going to add more Canadian slots to our roster. Hopefully they increase salary cap as well so we can sign good Canadian players.

Canary Canuck
05-29-2008, 11:44 AM

According to MoJo, Copenhagen quoted him a price 3 million dollars. Although in January of last year, Rangers bid 5 million which was accepted by Copenhagen but Hutchinson rejected the move.

werewolf
05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
The only good Canadians we could get (or have a realistic shot) is DeRo and Staltieri, but he won't come here because of the turf.

Ricketts has some under 21 caps too

So does Justin Hoyte and Henri Lansbury

giambac
05-29-2008, 12:42 PM

I just want the best possible 11 starters we can field given our salary cap. I don't give a shit's ass if their Canadian, Chinese, Italian, Russian or from the North Pole. Just field the best team you can.

Bombonera
05-29-2008, 12:56 PM
WHy do we remotely care how many Canadians we have on our team? We should want and expect the best team possible...one that can win.

If a canadian fits the bill, fantastic. But let's please not make that a priority...

RedsYNWA
05-29-2008, 01:04 PM
WHy do we remotely care how many Canadians we have on our team? We should want and expect the best team possible...one that can win.

If a canadian fits the bill, fantastic. But let's please not make that a priority...

Because we have a domestic quota FGS

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Not if it means sacrificing competitive quality.

Sorry, but the CSA sucks, and we should in no way be a feeder team for them.

exactly, TFC would like DeRo but he doesn;t want to come here until later in his career, like WTF up with that. Iys like players who chhose to play for other NHL teams yet near the end of their careers want ot play for the Leafs!! TFC must put team quality first, then worry about how many Canadians they have, with luck the Academy team will help solve the problem buts a few years away yet.

rocker
05-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Because we have a domestic quota FGS

and TFC is meeting the domestic rules as currently demanded by the league.

There's no incentive to go beyond the letter of the rules because then you'd be playing guys like Reda and Braz (my nightmare!). There's a hole in the middle of the talent range right now. I mean the fact that Pozniak was getting 100K last year was an overpayment in the context of MLS salary caps. I'd rather stock up on more expensive internationals with more pedigree than pay Pozniak 100K.

personally I agree with others that we want the best team that Mo can design within the roster limits provided. the MLS deputy commish made a good point that if the Canadian talent was better and affordable than currently, TFC would actually be at an advantage to the American sides.

And the key point I think is this: do Canadians in Europe want to come to TFC? I dunno. Until people start asking good Canadians in Europe "do you want to come here for 200-300K? then we really can't be sure if they'd even want to be here. I personally asked Issey Nakajima-Farran this question and he said "no". I guess you could entice him by paying him more, but then you are overpaying in a cap situation.

Another way of putting it is, what Canadian would come back for 330K and do what Laurent Robert is doing? Or if the rumour is correct that Amado Guevara is making 300K --- what Canadian of Guevara's quality will come back for 300K? Even Iain Hume would probably ask for 500-600K. Amado is a bargain compared to that.

Denis
05-29-2008, 08:19 PM
You have to trade it off. I think an emphasis on TFC bringing players through an academy is the way to go long term. However, as fans we all want to see the best team out there and we want to see it right now. Plus, developing our team into one that Canadian players want to play for will take time, so naturally our squad will be full of foreigners.

We will get it right though. I'm sure. :)

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Want more Canadians only if they are better than players we have. Why sacrifice quality?

ag futbol
05-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Well, I think it's really yet to be seen if we would have to sacrafice quality. We haven't really done a good job enduring ourselves to potential signings.

If we went out and signed guys like Dave Simpson, Andrew Ornoch, Issey Nakajima-Farran, and then failed .. well then i'd have some simpathy. Reda and Braz sucked because they were terrible players and the scouting job we did was shit, not because the talent pool is dry.

But generally this thread is just ..:deadhorse:

james
05-30-2008, 12:24 AM
in the future yes. They need to start developing young players and make them grow up wanting to play for a team like Toronto FC rather then only looking up to European clubs. But currently as things are, NO we shouldnt have more Canadians on are team. Canada doesnt have a big pool to pick from. And currently most of the Canadians that play in Europe are over priced for TFC or they already have contracts with European clubs, while Canadians who dont play in Europe arent at the same skill level as MLS clubs. It will take time for TFC to develop home grown players, we jsut started are 1st year academy. But i hope maybe 10 years from now we will have more Canadians!

yanggoh
05-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Anybody heard about FIFA just passing the 6+5 rule? Does it affect us? If so, it seems like we're going to be having to start a lot more Canadians FAST...

profit89
05-30-2008, 08:29 AM
6+5 will affect all professional leagues, including MLS

yanggoh
05-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Well, we have four years to get ready. By then, hopefully, some of our academy players will be ripe for picking...