PDA

View Full Version : Toronto vs Seattle - Pre game discussion.

ExiledRed
04-03-2009, 01:45 PM
This thread is about the game on the pitch tomorrow, not about the support, rivalries, or columbus.

Tomorrow is not about Montero or Ljungberg. Whether they play or not tomorrow is about DeRo's homecoming.

I expect DeRo to be at his most intense. We've seen what he can do for San Jose and Houston and the CMNT, but tomorrow we want to see him do that for us, and I damn well expect to see the hairy bugger doing the 'funky chicken' for us at least once.

Tomorrow is not about Seattle's first road game, Ljungbergs appearance at BMO, or lime green kits.
Tomorrow needs to be about our first home game and Seattle first loss!

So to get the ball rolling...

DeRo for the opener, in the first twenty. It's important to get an early goal, because Seattle haven't been scored on and probably think they're indestructible right now. I'd like to see that confidence shattered rather quickly.

Vitti for the second and the winner.

This guy looked like he could be great on Saturday, but his service was atrocious. Hopefully that will change.

2-1 to the reds, 3 points and a jubilant crowd.

discuss.....

ExiledRed
04-03-2009, 01:47 PM
This is evidence, that I ignore sticky threads.

apologies.

Hitcho
04-03-2009, 01:52 PM
This thread is about the game on the pitch tomorrow, not about the support, rivalries, or columbus.

Tomorrow is not about Montero or Ljungberg. Whether they play or not tomorrow is about DeRo's homecoming.

I couldn't disagree with you more strongly mate. Tomorrow is about TFC getting its first three points at home. De Ro's homecoming is fantastic, but if he scores a hat trick and plays a blinder in a 4-3 loss, then it's all for shit.

Don't get me wrong, I wanna see him do well as much as anyone else and I'll be cheering as loudly as the rest of you for De Ro, but the most important thing is 3 points. If we win 1-0 and De Ro has an off game, so be it.

Oh, and putting out statements like "I expect him to play a blinder and score the opener" is heaping just a little bit too much pressure on him, no? I mean support the guy and everything, but he's under enough pressure as it is. We just need to back him and let the guy work his magic, not add to the pressure. Just my 2c.

Dave67
04-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Don't apologise.. Let's create 20 more Home opener threads and get some of the other stuff off page one..

Met Carver on the train yesterday, nothing rivetting to say but here it is. He said DeRo has 45, yes 45, tickets for family and friends Saturday. You know DeRo is going to want to put on a show for his family. I asked if Carver if DeRo is the kind of person who really gets excited about this stuff or if it's just another game. In short, DeRo is excited.

Asked about Montero (who at the time was coming but I guess now is not). Carver was not sure what to expect as he really has never had the chance to properly watch him. Would have been adjustments made on the fly I suspect but we will never know.

I know lots of people have met him now but this was my first chance. Genuine nice guy, really into this team and this city.

4 - 1 Toronto, bring it on! I think Chad is going to settle down Saturday, I'm hoping for two goals from him Saturday. Bring it on!

TFCREDNWHITE
04-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Don't apologise.. Let's create 20 more Home opener threads and get some of the other stuff off page one..

Met Carver on the train yesterday, nothing rivetting to say but here it is. He said DeRo has 45, yes 45, tickets for family and friends Saturday. You know DeRo is going to want to put on a show for his family. I asked if Carver if DeRo is the kind of person who really gets excited about this stuff or if it's just another game. In short, DeRo is excited.

!

Actually, one of my friends is good friends with DeRo's Dad and Brother, Anyways DeRo's brother hooked him up with a 2 pairs of tix. DeRo has received 100 tickets for this game, not 45....This is straight from DeRo's brother...

MadMike
04-03-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm so so pumped for this home opener 1) we are undefeted ON THE ROAD !! 2) Dero , Serioux , Brennan - all TO boys are amped ! 3) pretty cool having our HO against Seattle , two newest teams in MLS. 4) as a Gunners fan I will have a moment of joy seeing Freddie L play ( only a moment though ) 5) TFC coming out on top ..... prediction 4-1 (Dero x 2, Amado, Barrett )

Dave67
04-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Actually, one of my friends is good friends with DeRo's Dad and Brother, Anyways DeRo's brother hooked him up with a 2 pairs of tix. DeRo has received 100 tickets for this game, not 45....This is straight from DeRo's brother...

Damn sounds like a battle between Carver and DeRos brother :D Ok is it fair to say he has a LOT of people coming for this game?

ExiledRed
04-03-2009, 02:12 PM
I couldn't disagree with you more strongly mate. Tomorrow is about TFC getting its first three points at home. De Ro's homecoming is fantastic, but if he scores a hat trick and plays a blinder in a 4-3 loss, then it's all for shit.

Don't get me wrong, I wanna see him do well as much as anyone else and I'll be cheering as loudly as the rest of you for De Ro, but the most important thing is 3 points. If we win 1-0 and De Ro has an off game, so be it.

Oh, and putting out statements like "I expect him to play a blinder and score the opener" is heaping just a little bit too much pressure on him, no? I mean support the guy and everything, but he's under enough pressure as it is. We just need to back him and let the guy work his magic, not add to the pressure. Just my 2c.

You're missing my point, which was that the current spin on these boards and in the media is all about Montero, Ljungberg and Seattle's first road game, and that's just plain wrong.

Tomorrow should be more about DeRo than its about the two freds.

And I hardly think my opinion is going to heap pressure on DeRo. I'm sure he's not going to read this and think.

"Holy Fuck, Ian expects me to score, can I do it? am I good enough?"

Personally though, I've been listening to the locals harp on about DeRo for close to three years, and quite frankly I expect to see him hustle.

And the importance of the three points goes without saying. Every game is about the three points. I'm focusing here on the spin.

brad
04-03-2009, 02:15 PM

I wonder if the top of 104 where the away supporters sit is going to the DeRo block.

brad
04-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Damn sounds like a battle between Carver and DeRos brother :D Ok is it fair to say he has a LOT of people coming for this game?

The first time Houson came, there were people all over the stands wearing orange shirts with a picture of DeRo on the front. Dude has a lot of support, that's for sure.

Dave67
04-03-2009, 02:16 PM
DeRo will hustle, bigger question is will his shots on net resemble beach balls or the shot that led to the rebound that gave Amado the tap in at KC?

MartinUtd
04-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Can't effin' wait for this game. I'm really really looking forward to Carver's line up. Will DeRo play the attacking mid, or will Carver put him up front with Barrett/Vitti/Dichio?

I have a feeling we'll see him striking then drop back to midfield when Guevara gets subbed off (because of his previous int'l commitments)

Also, it's not just DeRo's homecoming... where's the love for Serioux?

Seriouxsly!!

ExiledRed
04-03-2009, 02:19 PM
DeRo will hustle, bigger question is will his shots on net resemble beach balls or the shot that led to the rebound that gave Amado the tap in at KC?

Hopefully neither.

Maybe we'll see one of these

WbE0ZrRMSZo

James Oliphant
04-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Can't effin' wait for this game. I'm really really looking forward to Carver's line up. Will DeRo play the attacking mid, or will Carver put him up front with Barrett/Vitti/Dichio?

I have a feeling we'll see him striking then drop back to midfield when Guevara gets subbed off (because of his previous int'l commitments)

Seriouxsly!!

Well said...especially considering how big he's been for us these first two games.

ExiledRed
04-03-2009, 02:22 PM

Seriouxsly!!

True that,

Although I do have higher expectations of DeRo the HeRo.

Dave67
04-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Hopefully neither.

LOL - I remember posting that on the Brighton board when I found it. My post was followed by dozens of 'Nothing Fancy.. what the fuck is wrong with American commentators?' :)

brad
04-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Who is better at direct free kicks - DeRo or Guevera? I'm thinking Guevera has the edge.

ExiledRed
04-03-2009, 02:24 PM
VLUvAwTDK1g

Into the wind.

I'm dying to see one of these at BMO, (Parkhurst's strike doesnt count)

ExiledRed
04-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Who is better at direct free kicks - DeRo or Guevera? I'm thinking Guevera has the edge.

I don't think Amado will play. I hope I'm wrong.

James Oliphant
04-03-2009, 02:26 PM

For finesse, Guevara.

For power, De Ro.

Guevara should take the shorter ones, the ones that need to get up and down quickly. De Ro can have the 30+ yarders.

James Oliphant
04-03-2009, 02:27 PM
VLUvAwTDK1g

Into the wind.

I'm dying to see one of these at BMO, (Parkhurst's strike doesnt count)

That all depends on Snack "Stretcher" Thornton ever wanting to play here again.

Dave67
04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
That all depends on Snack "Stretcher" Thornton ever wanting to play here again.

Was he the 'Your a Pussy!' keeper? LOL

oh and a little love for Brennan?

KiBsyBceyTA

ensco
04-03-2009, 02:59 PM
It's easy to look organized in attack when your defenders aren't under pressure. We've got to get after the Seattle back line. The guy I'd try to get DeRo one-on-one against is Jhon Hurtado.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jhon_Kennedy_Hurtado

Conditions could play a huge role. It's going to be cold, windy and nasty tomorrow. On plastic.

Hurtado is only 24 and has played his entire career in Colombia. By all accounts, he is a nice signing, but I'll bet we can take him to school tomorrow.

For the same reason, if Vitti does start, I'd be prepared to pull him before halftime. I'd hold him out, personally. I don't want Vitti to pull a hamstring, and this feels like a DD game to me (then again, most of them do!).

james
04-03-2009, 07:34 PM
apparently the news is saying Montero isnt comming to Toronto because he is under investigation for stalking a 23 year old girl. Hes not sick! well not sick in a illness way, just sick minded, if these stories are true then what a creeper :p

Chevy
04-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Hopefully neither.

WbE0ZrRMSZo

Holy F*&k!, that's Roberto Carlos territory.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-03-2009, 07:42 PM
we will soon see if Seattle is the real deal and Seattle will see if Toronto FC is the real deal...this match should be exciting and a few goals bagged...just hope we get
a decent officating crew that will let the teams play.

Cashcleaner
04-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Tomorrow is not about Montero or Ljungberg. Whether they play or not tomorrow is about DeRo's homecoming.Needed to be repeated. Thank-you, Exiled.

rocker
04-03-2009, 07:43 PM
that last replay of De Ro's free kick goal is crazy

FluSH
04-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't think Amado will play. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't think he will be playing either... he had a great game vs Mexico on Wednesday... that leaves him two days for rest and to visit family and friends in Honduras... hmmm is he even back in T.O.?

Also, how in the world did Seatle get a player like Montero?

gJ3rcLFS-Bs

This will be one hard team to beat tomorrow... especially with our backline. Tyrone Marshall will be back at BMO as well... first time he will ever play against us... don't break any legs Tyrone!

spezz44
04-03-2009, 07:48 PM
those goals deserve a " and boom goes the dynamite"

Stryker
04-03-2009, 09:17 PM
So am I the only person who noticed that in Carvers pre-game interview yesterday Vitti hobbled by in the backround stiff legged with his knee bandaged up?