PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Friday , Apr.03

denime
04-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Mornin'

Tough home opener awaits TFC
By RYAN JOHNSTON

Toronto FC coach John Carver played killjoy at training on Thursday by refusing to look past the expansion -- and undefeated -- Seattle Sounders FC as an automatic three points for his club in its home opener on Saturday.
"We won't get carried away," Carver said of what is a highly-anticipated home opener. "What I will say to the fans is, 'Please be patient,' it's not a slam dunk three points on Saturday. There is a good side coming in here and we have to prepare as if we are playing against one of the best sides in MLS, which they are, and have no complacency."

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/04/02/toronto_fc_seattle_preview/)

Positive reinforcements
Toronto FC hopeful Guevera and Robinson can suit up against Sounders
By LANCE HORNBY (lance.hornby@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

Absent players came streaming back to Toronto FC yesterday, while the streamers are bound to fly again at tomorrow's home opener at BMO Field.
Coach John Carver will have to do a quick evaluation of whether midfielders Carl Robinson and Amado Guevera are too jet-lagged from respective World Cup qualifying action in Europe and Honduras to start against the Seattle Sounders.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/04/03/8986581-sun.html)

League's newest teams meet at BMO
Toronto FC to play host to Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday.

The league's two newest teams - both of which have already seen remarkable fan support - meet on the shores of Lake Ontario when Toronto FC take on Seattle Sounders FC. The home-standing Reds are making their 2009 BMO Field debut, coming off an unbeaten two-game road trip. Seattle Sounders FC are playing on the road for the first time ever, starting their history with two wins in two tries to sit atop the league.

Read More (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090402&content_id=234565&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280).

Drew Carey helping Seattle sound out success
Part-owner of league's newest team, TV star ramps up enthusiasm
Douglas B. McIntyre

Comedian Drew Carey learned the finer points of the Beautiful Game from the sidelines – literally.
Before the self-professed soccer fanatic purchased a minor stake in Seattle's Major League Soccer start-up, he got a close view of the 2006 World Cup as a working photographer.
The Price Is Right host won't be toting a camera when he accompanies his upstart Sounders to BMO Field to meet Toronto FC for the first time tomorrow (4 p.m., CBC).

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/612920)

First Class
Toronto FC has been a model of how to make a sports business profitable
By LANCE HORNBY (lance.hornby@sunmedia.ca)

Amongthe crystal figurines and other soccer-related objects d'art in the founders lounge at BMO Field, a seat cushion designed as a beer cap holds pride of place.
"We don't want to forget that day," Paul Beirne, Toronto FC's senior director of business operations, said with a laugh.
It's a reminder of their first home win on May 12, 2007, crowned by Danny Dichio's historic goal, when 20,000 delirious fans began flinging their souvenir stool pads frisbee-style, cluttering the pitch.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/04/03/8986256-sun.html)

Ljungberg’s the villain Saturday at BMO
By Ben Rycroft (http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/columnist/179696)

Try to tune out the sensationalists. The story of Toronto FC’s home opener Saturday will have as much to do with BMO security preparing for the so-called soccer hooligans, as it has to do with the peameal bacon sandwiches the stadium sells.
The real storyline, as Toronto takes to the field against the undefeated expansion Seattle Sounders, centres on three main characters.

Read More (http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/sports/article/207402)

Sounders' Montero subject of police investigation
By SCOTT GUTIERREZ (scottgutierrez@seattlepi.com) AND GREG JOHNS (gregjohns@seattlepi.com)

A woman called the King County Sheriff's office this week alleging that Seattle Sounders FC soccer star Fredy Montero was stalking her, two law enforcement sources said Thursday evening.
According to a law enforcement report about the incident, the 23-year-old woman told police on March 31 that she saw Montero in a car near her home in Sammamish. The report stated that she feared for her safety because Montero allegedly had sexually assaulted her in Bellevue the week before on March 22, which she had reported to the Bellevue Police Department.

Read More (http://www.seattlepi.com/local/404574_montero02.html)

Canada in tough at Gold Cup
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- Canada will open play at the Gold Cup soccer tournament July 3 against Jamaica at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
The Canadian men will continue their Group A schedule with games against El Salvador on July 7 at Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio, and Costa Rica on July 10 at Florida International University Stadium in Miami.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/04/03/8986636-sun.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :D :yum: :thumbsup:

Wagner
04-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Probably one of the top SSGs of 2009 so far.

CretanBull
04-03-2009, 06:01 AM
I think she might be one of the best ever!

Oh, and TFC blah, blah, blah :D

Yohan
04-03-2009, 06:11 AM
now only if her mouth wasnt so big...

keem-o-sabi
04-03-2009, 06:13 AM
yes, definitely the best ssg of 2009 fo sure

Toronto Gunner
04-03-2009, 06:26 AM
now only if her mouth wasnt so big...

All the better to... never mind.

greatwhitenorf
04-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Yes, she's the bizniz.

But even more interesting in today's Sun article by Lance Hornby is a sentence down near the end of the story about stadium expansion. And where it might be located.

You should read it.

Oblio2
04-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Montero is a stalker?

djking2
04-03-2009, 06:58 AM
I like our chances this weekend a lot better if Montero stays in Seattle but I would have loved to see the kid play

TFC_Junky
04-03-2009, 07:02 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2008975022_sounders03.html

Montero is evidently ill and may not make the game tomorrow. Could be a good sign for us. I'd love to see him play but if he doesn't and we can get the 3 points and keep our streak alive, I'd be just as happy!!!

Stencils
04-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Montero is a stalker?

I heard he's been stalking the TFC goal mouth and I think we definitely should get a restraining order.

drewski
04-03-2009, 07:19 AM

thats not saying much. :lol:

Wagner
04-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Yes, she's the bizniz.

But even more interesting in today's Sun article by Lance Hornby is a sentence down near the end of the story about stadium expansion. And where it might be located.

You should read it.

nothing new there...
it's old news.

Technorgasm
04-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Seatle may be the new kids at the prom.
The hot girl eveeryone wants to bang at the hotel ......

We will leave them behind the dumpster
Panties around their knees

While we continue to party all night!

Walk on TFC!!!

ensco
04-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Lance Hornby, a 30 second internet search would have shown you that Robinson didn't get in for Wales on Wednesday. So he didn't "play".

scooter
04-03-2009, 07:39 AM
mornin all

one more sleep

105BallHats
04-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Amado on Fifa.com - nice pic.

Oldtimer
04-03-2009, 07:53 AM
The KKKrew aren't doing so well without Sigi:

Crew suffer tough road defeat in Utah

SANDY, Utah -- A Robbie Findley hat trick led to Real Salt Lake's 4-1 defeat of the Columbus Crew on Thursday night at Rio Tinto Stadium, extending the defending MLS Cup champions' winless streak to three games to begin the season.

http://columbus.crew.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090402&content_id=234829&vkey=news_coc&fext=.jsp&team=t102

If Sigi was the reason that the KKKrew won, we have every reason to expect the match Saturday to be tough.

arbogast
04-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Lance Hornby, a 30 second internet search would have shown you that Robinson didn't get in for Wales on Wednesday. So he didn't "play".

The dude's a serious hockey nut, and not a soccer guy but lets give him credit for doing a good job covering the team and a sport he's never followed. He's been one of the most balanced reporters covering the tem of late, so why nit pick?

Yohan
04-03-2009, 09:00 AM
The dude's a serious hockey nut, and not a soccer guy but lets give him credit for doing a good job covering the team and a sport he's never followed. He's been one of the most balanced reporters covering the tem of late, so why nit pick?
because you should never accept a below standard product

Stouffville_RPB
04-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Seatle may be the new kids at the prom.
The hot girl eveeryone wants to bang at the hotel ......

We will leave them behind the dumpster
Panties around their knees

While we continue to party all night!

Walk on TFC!!!

Hahahaha!!! You are the best Techno!

keem-o-sabi
04-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Just for you Stouffville, today's co-ed girl (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/)...oh so nice too

arbogast
04-03-2009, 09:15 AM

Below standard? He missed one point. Again why nit pick?

The more we piss on the team's reporters, the more they'll just get annoyed and write shit about us. It's been made pretty clear lately after the whole "hooligan" incident how thin skinned soccer fans are and the media have run with it our pushing buttons.

BTW, did you read his lengthy article in today's Sun about how the club is run? that's great writing.

Stouffville_RPB
04-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Just for you Stouffville, today's co-ed girl (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/)...oh so nice too

Thanks keem-o :yum:.

As for the SSG, sorry guys she's real easy on the eyes but she's not the best this year.

nimamalek
04-03-2009, 09:21 AM
"Canada in tough at Gold Cup" thats classic, considering their the worst team in CONCACAF and run by monkeys well I guess every group is going to be tough for them.

ExiledRed
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Below standard? He missed one point. Again why nit pick?

The more we piss on the team's reporters, the more they'll just get annoyed and write shit about us. It's been made pretty clear lately after the whole "hooligan" incident how thin skinned soccer fans are and the media have run with it our pushing buttons.

BTW, did you read his lengthy article in today's Sun about how the club is run? that's great writing.

Why should we pleased that instead of getting somebody who's followed the game for a long time to report on the sport, they get some hockey guy, tell him to learn what he can and write a story?

The intended audience have all been following the game and are educated about it, so there's nothing that a hockey guy can actually tell us is there?

jloome
04-03-2009, 09:32 AM

There's nothing wrong with the comment, just balance it by feeling as inclined to praise him when he gets stuff others don't, because he is making that into a proper beat for the Sun, which is a plus.

OHARARULES
04-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Agreed

Fort York Redcoat
04-03-2009, 09:41 AM
"Canada in tough at Gold Cup" thats classic, considering their the worst team in CONCACAF and run by monkeys well I guess every group is going to be tough for them.

You must be at every game the way you talk about my country's team.:rolleyes:

The CSA should be sacked.

The opposition is not beyond us whatsoever. IF the players play as they can without excuses we should be able to advance in spite of our coaching problem.

Boris
04-03-2009, 09:41 AM

will you be at the tailgate tomorrow

Darlofletch
04-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Montero might be out? hopefully so. A cheap victory against a weakened team is still a victory.

Dave67
04-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Met Carver on the train yesterday... Random things I remember

Team had to fly home from Columbus via Chicago. They got held up and took over 12 hours to get back!

Asked him if DeRo was the type of guy to really get excited about being home this weekend or if it was just another game. Carver said DeRo is very excited to be home this weekend. He has 45 (!) tickets for family and friends (must have met a scalper how the hell does a guy get 45 tickets :)

On Montero Carver said he reallly has not had the chance to see enough of him. Does not know what to expect... Now it seems like Montero won't be here :)

That's all I remember.. Nice guy, glad I did not yell at him for blocking the staircase while I was trying to get to the door :)

arbogast
04-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Why should we pleased that instead of getting somebody who's followed the game for a long time to report on the sport, they get some hockey guy, tell him to learn what he can and write a story?

The intended audience have all been following the game and are educated about it, so there's nothing that a hockey guy can actually tell us is there?

Obviously he's there because he's a staff writer. I work in the media, and in case you haven't noticed, there isn't a lot of cash going aroundto hire new writers these days. So media outlets, newspapers especially, are making do with what they've got. Would you rather they not cover the sport entirely?

arbogast
04-03-2009, 09:50 AM
There's nothing wrong with the comment, just balance it by feeling as inclined to praise him when he gets stuff others don't, because he is making that into a proper beat for the Sun, which is a plus.

EXACTLY!!!

ExiledRed
04-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Obviously he's there because he's a staff writer. I work in the media, and in case you haven't noticed, there isn't a lot of cash going aroundto hire new writers these days. So media outlets, newspapers especially, are making do with what they've got. Would you rather they not cover the sport entirely?

I'm not speaking about the writer directly here, but there's well enough reporters out there 'grudgingly' doing pieces on TFC because they have to cover it.

They can make do with what they have, it doesn't mean I'll give their articles any credibility.

Flipityflu
04-03-2009, 09:58 AM
hopefully the media coverage will mature like we hope fan support will.

brad
04-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Montero might be out? hopefully so. A cheap victory against a weakened team is still a victory.

No Montero does not mean a cheap victory for us. He is one player. If they are that dependent on one player, they are screwed.

ExiledRed
04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
No Montero does not mean a cheap victory for us. He is one player. If they are that dependent on one player, they are screwed.

I don't believe that they are. It will be a tight game tomorrow.

Parkdale
04-03-2009, 10:08 AM
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090401&content_id=234393&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Ricketts involved in worthy cause

TFC midfielder hoping to improve lives of African children

04/01/2009 10:30 PM
By Peter Mallett / MLSnet.com Staff

BakaGaijin
04-03-2009, 10:27 AM
"Toronto FC trained at the Oakville Soccer Club on Thursday, in front of a huge gathering of young fans and players .."

Are these pratices open to the public? This is a block away from my house.

BFin
04-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Just looked at the SSG at work.
Anyone have a spare pair of pants?

Roogsy
04-03-2009, 10:38 AM

Holy crap! :eek:

Not a bad picture in the lot. I might have to agree. Best of 2009 so far and up there for best ever.

brad
04-03-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't believe that they are. It will be a tight game tomorrow.

I tend to agree. They look like a solid, well coached team.

MisterMacphisto
04-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Carver said DeRo is very excited to be home this weekend. He has 45 (!) tickets for family and friends (must have met a scalper how the hell does a guy get 45 tickets :)

Hopefully translates into great performance for DeRo and he pops one or two in. Can be the biggest inspiration to play at best when you're playing for friends and family.

keem-o-sabi
04-03-2009, 11:39 AM
will you be at the tailgate tomorrow

yes i will be at the tailgate tomorrow. I need to get my tickets there! My wife is being annoying about getting here too early, so I may just take a train and get there early and chillax with the lot of you and she can take her sweet time coming in. Damn it's gonna be cold tomorrow.

greatwhitenorf
04-03-2009, 01:34 PM
When was it announced that the bulk of stadium expansion would occur in the south end? Most comments have involved additions to the east side.

What's interesting about a south end addition - apart from growing the sound of supporters groups - is that it hopefully puts to rest any fanciful notions of expanding the playing surface to accomodate a CFL field.

mlsintoronto
04-03-2009, 01:55 PM
When was it announced that the bulk of stadium expansion would occur in the south end? Most comments have involved additions to the east side.

What's interesting about a south end addition - apart from growing the sound of supporters groups - is that it hopefully puts to rest any fanciful notions of expanding the playing surface to accomodate a CFL field.

thats not right...don't know where he go that...there are two pieces in the current plan...east side is the vast majority of the expansion. not sure whether it would make sense financially to add to the south.

But aesthetically (sp?) I personally don't want two massive sides and a teeny endzone...it would look and feel like that CFL stadium in Winnipeg....so i'm a big proponent of extending the south to make the place feel more complete.

Super
04-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Double up on the east and south end, and tie everything together - east, sound, west. That would look great, isolate the sound (especially if you put a roof on the stands) and we'll have a stadium fit for the demand in this city.

ensco
04-03-2009, 02:39 PM

You're missing the point. I'm not expecting anyone at a Toronto newspaper to give me a nuanced view of Carver's choice of formation.

Let's say there was a Blue Jay player who was on a World Baseball Classic team, and whose fitness for the Jays might therefore be in question. There is absolutely no way that a story about that player would have gone out with an elemental error about whether the player even saw the field in the WBC.

If writers aren't scrupulous about checking basic, easily verified facts, then they're just part of the newspaper industry problem. If the writer doesn't feel like applying the same standards as he would to a baseball story, then yes, I'd rather he didn't cover the team.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
04-03-2009, 03:19 PM
wow the anti soccer ppl are after montero now.... not surprised...

nfitz
04-03-2009, 04:29 PM
In terms of expansion. East end and south end sure. But what about those missing west-end sections ... above 119 and 127? If sections were build there, above the boxes, with the same width at the bottom as the boxes, and expanding wider at the same rates as 119 and 127, you could get quite a lot of people in.

dal524
04-03-2009, 05:10 PM
she likes making videos LOL i figured she would

rocker
04-03-2009, 05:19 PM
just was reading about the GO Expansion today... apparently there's gonna be another tunnel under the Go tracks... good idea, since that tunnel gets scarily packed before and after games.

Oldtimer
04-03-2009, 08:17 PM
UPDATE 3:15 p.m.: Montero will definitely not play, it's official. Coach Schmid will not announce who will start in Montero's place until the 1-hour deadline before kickoff.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sounders/2009/04/03/its_raining_in_toronto_and_fre.html

Toronto Ruffrider
04-04-2009, 12:37 AM
thats not right...don't know where he go that...there are two pieces in the current plan...east side is the vast majority of the expansion. not sure whether it would make sense financially to add to the south.

But aesthetically (sp?) I personally don't want two massive sides and a teeny endzone...it would look and feel like that CFL stadium in Winnipeg....so i'm a big proponent of extending the south to make the place feel more complete.

In terms of food & beverage and merchandise sales, a south-end expansion could be quite lucrative. Besides, the atmosphere is the essence of what makes BMO Field great, and adding to that atmosphere couldn't hurt the attractiveness of the club or its bottom line.

Of course, I completely agree with your comment regarding the aesthetic appeal of expansion that is largely limited to the east stand. With two large lateral stands and only one small end stand, BMO would look a lot like such CFL stadia as Canad Inns or Taylor Field. I have nothing against the two-stand design that is characteristic of CFL venues, but I think said design should be reserved for pointy ball.