PDA

View Full Version : This Should Be Our Mission

BRed
04-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Alright I don't about you guys but whenever I see the RPB's do their thing at BMO it gets my blood going because I love the passion. But you know what really grinds my gears?? When the people on either side of the RPB's are not jumping or chanting along; and YES they are also in the supporters section. Now I know that there are different Supporter group and everyone is doing their own thing but really, anyone who is a TFC supporter, I don't care NEE, RPB's or U SECTOR...you got to feel pathetic at how it looks and feels not only at the game but on TV. I'm not a season ticket holder but I attend as much games as I can buying tickets from either dirty stupid scalpers or friends. I attended the Montreal game last season and I sat in SECTION 118. While the RPB's were jumping and doing the chant in french "Quest que to chantez" ( i know I spelled that wrong..) the guys in my section were saying " your not french idiots..". I felt pathetic, like is this about the team or the different support groups? Everyone's mission should be UNITING the support groups ONCE AND FOR ALL! I don't care wether it's getting everyone drunk and realizing how stupid we are for having 4-5 different support groups, just do whatever it takes. I don't know about you guys but I want my players to feel what Barbatov feels when he steps onto Old Truffle's:

"When you’re in the tunnel and you hear on the speakers, “Please welcome the champions of England, the champions of Europe and the champions of the world,”, and the roar of the crowd, you just believe that you are going to crush anybody that is in your way. I get goosebumps every time I walk out at Old Trafford. It’s great."
~Dimitar Berbatov~

MisterMacphisto
04-02-2009, 07:25 PM
To quote a good line...

"We're one, but we're not the same."

A noble goal to have us singing in unison and coordinated on some Tifo's and marches etc. Not necessary to have just one supporters group. That, and it will never happen.

BRed
04-02-2009, 07:30 PM
to also quote another great line " let me take the punches away..for you, tonight"

Seriously no U2 quotes, we're talking about us supporting a futbol team not a relationship between the actual fans. Our roots and differences aren't as great as the italian or English fans.

We might not have the power to keep the ARGOS' out, we might not have the power to bring in a DA player BUT don't tell me we don't have power over ourselves? If we can't organize our chants to better the atmosphere in the stadium, to become that 12th man, then we're like a lion without a head. I'm posting this because I can easily see all these new markets surpassing us in crowd support given Toronto's lack luster crowds in other sporting events. If we don't organize right now, then atmosphere at BMO will lag and well....

Flipityflu
04-02-2009, 07:39 PM
this is the thing....you can't force people to sing and chant. you can sing, dance, shout, and pray, but that will never stop the person next to you from thinking you are an idiot. various things have been done to create a more united front, especially in the supporters section, however it takes the willing to create atmosphere. we don't have a mass of the willing.

i know its not U2, but 'you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'

BRed
04-02-2009, 07:46 PM
^^

Well said, and also this isn't a U2 line, "give a dog a bone and he'll find his way home"

Atleast no we are talking..we are identifying the problem. I completely understand when you say "you can sing, dance, shout, and pray, but that will never stop the person next to you from thinking you are an idiot" SO what's a solution? How about putting your hand over the next persons shoulder while singing? or buying beer for a complete stranger? getting the friendly vibe going because I know people in TOronto could be real Stiffs. Let's come up with suggestion to create a BROTHERHOOD atmosphere so that people FEEL like they are part of a larger cause and they are all ONE.

*please don't start thinking things like putting hand over shoulder or buying beer for strangers are gay shit because that's the kind of difference in attitude that creates a fan base like Liverpool and a fan base like New York Red Bulls (who, by the way, are Shitteee..)

egoodwin
04-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Alright I don't about you guys but whenever I see the RPB's do their thing at BMO it gets my blood going because I love the passion. But you know what really grinds my gears?? When the people on either side of the RPB's are not jumping or chanting along; and YES they are also in the supporters section. Now I know that there are different Supporter group and everyone is doing their own thing but really, anyone who is a TFC supporter, I don't care NEE, RPB's or U SECTOR...you got to feel pathetic at how it looks and feels not only at the game but on TV. I'm not a season ticket holder but I attend as much games as I can buying tickets from either dirty stupid scalpers or friends. I attended the Montreal game last season and I sat in SECTION 118. While the RPB's were jumping and doing the chant in french "Quest que to chantez" ( i know I spelled that wrong..) the guys in my section were saying " your not french idiots..". I felt pathetic, like is this about the team or the different support groups? Everyone's mission should be UNITING the support groups ONCE AND FOR ALL! I don't care wether it's getting everyone drunk and realizing how stupid we are for having 4-5 different support groups, just do whatever it takes. I don't know about you guys but I want my players to feel what Barbatov feels when he steps onto Old Truffle's:

"When you’re in the tunnel and you hear on the speakers, “Please welcome the champions of England, the champions of Europe and the champions of the world,”, and the roar of the crowd, you just believe that you are going to crush anybody that is in your way. I get goosebumps every time I walk out at Old Trafford. It’s great."
~Dimitar Berbatov~
calling for the formal uniting of the TFC supporter groups does more harm than it does good.

We all have our own way of doing things, and we all offer something unique to BMO. We may do things differently, but we all support TFC, and you've seen how we all band together on the road.

Calling for a sole supporter group will be more harmful than good, the different groups have different views on how to support the team, and different views on structure, and different views to subjects such as smoke bombs and other stuff...

It's more beneficial to commend and encourage the continuation of a strong working relationship between the groups, than try to force and amalgamate everyone into one group

Flipityflu
04-02-2009, 07:53 PM
honestly, i think it comes down to time. just don't stop. keep singing, keep chanting. it will spread, it just takes a bit of time and effort. its all we can do as the willing.

MisterMacphisto
04-02-2009, 08:06 PM
to also quote another great line " let me take the punches away..for you, tonight"

Seriously no U2 quotes, we're talking about us supporting a futbol team not a relationship between the actual fans. Our roots and differences aren't as great as the italian or English fans.

We might not have the power to keep the ARGOS' out, we might not have the power to bring in a DA player BUT don't tell me we don't have power over ourselves? If we can't organize our chants to better the atmosphere in the stadium, to become that 12th man, then we're like a lion without a head. I'm posting this because I can easily see all these new markets surpassing us in crowd support given Toronto's lack luster crowds in other sporting events. If we don't organize right now, then atmosphere at BMO will lag and well....

Actually, its "Let me take some of the punches, for you tonight." :) Trust me, you don't want to get into a U2 quote war with me.

My point was, having one supporters group is not necessary to have unison on chants, TIFO's and marches etc...

Having real support in all supporters groups is.

Having supporters groups dissolved in favour of one almighty supporters group is never, I repeat NEVER going to happen. Besides, it would make for one very boring supporters cup at the end of the year. :)

BRed
04-02-2009, 08:21 PM
THen let's not UNITE all the groups but like suggested earlier let's make the working relationship stronger so that we are chanting at the same time, atleast some kind of coordination for some of the chants in the SUPPORTERS section.

Ok I will stay off U2 as long as you stay of AC/DC

shaggingscot
04-02-2009, 08:36 PM
honestly, i think it comes down to time. just don't stop. keep singing, keep chanting. it will spread, it just takes a bit of time and effort. its all we can do as the willing.

Exactly.....christ everyone today wants everything yesterday. The last time I checked TFC's support was the envy of almost every club in the league (certain teams will argue otherwise). Enjoy this for what it is, you're part of building something that will hopefully grow into the kind of unity and passion that's on display in the likes of Anfield week in and week out. There are going to be frustrations from time to time but it's coming along, enjoy the process, oh yeah and once we get that fucking roof it'll be far easier to sing in unison.

My wee lad's 11 and I'll bet you that by the time he's old enough to legally have a drink with me at BMO the south end will be one voice on matchdays.

Flipityflu
04-02-2009, 08:37 PM
its not the supporters groups that are the issue...its tends to be the non-supporters group supporters.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-02-2009, 08:46 PM

~Dimitar Berbatov~

Im in 114, and for the first 2 seasons i seemed like i was the only one chanting.sinings in the first 6 rows...it was sad as i need more voices to drown mine out:D....we will see what happens this season in 114..from the first 6 rows anways..

shepherd2
04-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Patience and encouragement are the key to bringing around the non-supporters group supporters. Remember that many fans coming out to the games are raised on the Leafs, where the most creative chant is...

"Go Leafs Go"

...droned out in a flat monotone and followed by the theme song to Welcome Back Kotter over the PA as the teams retire to the sidelines for a two minute TV time-out.

Take a moment to teach a chant to one of these unfortunate souls.

FluSH
04-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Great post Bred!

james
04-02-2009, 09:07 PM
ya to be honest i wish we had 1 Supporter Group, i sit in the RPB section but i dont really consider myself an RPB supporter, im just there to sing and cheer for TFC. I hate the fact that we got like NEE, U-Sec, RPB and then a bunch of smaller groups, it really fucks up alot of are chants.

FluSH
04-02-2009, 09:09 PM
give it 5 years... I've come to accept the fact that there are 3-4 supporter groups not a bad thing... but in 5yrs noone will care what group you're from as you will have friends in multiple groups...

egoodwin
04-02-2009, 09:25 PM
give it 5 years... I've come to accept the fact that there are 3-4 supporter groups not a bad thing... but in 5yrs noone will care what group you're from as you will have friends in multiple groups...
it's great to have a few groups, because it widens the supporter net to encompass more people, ideas, and values...

and really there is more to a supporter group than chanting. To break up a number of groups who work well on their own contributing to the TFC experience, and when their core combine on road trips usually results in an epic experience, because the chanting has been fucked up in the first two years of existence is just wrong. The solution to a chanting problem isn't to shut down other groups, but to work on a solution that all groups can agree on, while preserving their autonomy

james
04-02-2009, 09:25 PM

well we gotta see how Marseille have 4 different supporter groups in there North Stand and 4 in the South end and yet they seem to be dam organized and one of the loudest supporters in Europe.

North End
"The North Curve is home to the Yankee Nord Marseille, Marseille Trop Puissant, Fanatics, and Dodgers supporters associations who buy up the tickets at the start of each season and sell them on to their members."

South End
"As with the Virage Nord, the South Curve is controlled by supporter's associations with the Commando Ultras 1984 and the South Winners dominating the central section and Amis de l'OM and Club Central des Supporteurs filling the remaining sections of the stand."

egoodwin
04-02-2009, 09:31 PM
well we gotta see how Marseille have 4 different supporter groups in there North Stand and 4 in the South end and yet they seem to be dam organized and one of the loudest supporters in Europe.

North End
"The North Curve is home to the Yankee Nord Marseille, Marseille Trop Puissant, Fanatics, and Dodgers supporters associations who buy up the tickets at the start of each season and sell them on to their members."

South End
"As with the Virage Nord, the South Curve is controlled by supporter's associations with the Commando Ultras 1984 and the South Winners dominating the central section and Amis de l'OM and Club Central des Supporteurs filling the remaining sections of the stand."
two things there, note how they control their sections' tickets, and also note that they've been in existence for longer than 2 years

FluSH
04-02-2009, 09:35 PM

North End

South End

Excuse me for posting this filth... but look at this:

http://www.mlsnet.com/t102/imgs/stadium/seating_map.gif

Paul B, et al.

If you close the gap between 112 and 111 I will give you a stronger South end. If you are looking to expand... Fill this gap for the love of everything nice and wonderful, and you will see a huge change.

Directing chants on a horizontal level even if you are in the middle of the South End will be almost impossible as long as scalpers and others remain in those sections.

As much as I hate to say it, Crew supporters will be a force to reckon with in terms of chants with that new supporters corner. And we heard them loud and clear on that day.

Give me this and I will bring you Rome.

james
04-02-2009, 09:36 PM
two things there, note how they control their sections' tickets, and also note that they've been in existence for longer than 2 years

ya how they control their section tickets is what we have all said we want, but right now we cant do nothin about it. I dont know how we can convince MLSE to let us do that. I could only see that happening if maybe when we exspand BMO, maybe.

And yes Marseille have been around for more then 2 years, but we still gotta keep trying to inprove are support. It aint gonna get better if we keep using exscuses that we are a young team.

james
04-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Columbus were very good on Saturday......i just wonder if they could continue like that all season. Its alot easier to get loud when you have 2,000 fans to chant at, but when there is no away fans its much harder. I guess we will see as the season goes on!

BRed
04-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Let's focus on things we can do. I think the addition of section 110 and 111 as supporters section is going to go a long way. Also, I watched my first D.C United game last week and their supporter groups have a really sick setup being in the middle of the stand, it seems to be more contagious because of where they are situated.
Having said that, there's something more hostile and intimate about having the supporters section in the corners of the stadium.
I was wondering what has been done in the past in order to make the supporters passion spread. What things were done to create a more friendly/brotherhood environment?
If it's worth anything, at my previous TFC game, they were playing Real Salt Lake and I was sitting in section 125 which really is dead for the most part. Anywho, I found that giving 5's and complaining about referee calls to complete strangers helped them become more lose and shout more than they had before. Actually I trully believe that if we start making a tradition before the start of the game for fans to give each other high 5's or some kind of pad or hand shake and say "Here we go" it get's everybody off the right foot and in the unision mood. So to point out some idea's here that would help create that atmosphere:

1) Keep singing and chanting for longer periods of time so more people join in.
2) Give 5' or talk about bad/good calls to strangers, get them involved.
3) "Here we go" before kick off whistle. Everybody feels like they are ONE.
4) Buy beer or put arm around strangers while singing.

As noted earlier us talking about this is part of our growth. Until we get more power over ticketing and roof's and other sections, this is our mission.

TFC Tifoso
04-03-2009, 11:38 AM

~Dimitar Berbatov~

BRed, I hear where you're coming from, but there's a few points I have to counter....
1) understand that not everybody in the supporter sections is necessarily a supporter.....FO designated the south end as such, and made the price really cheap.....as a result some people are there just for the cheap seats....this is the biggest problem.
2) (I'm sure you know this but...) RPB's "home" is in 112, U-Sector 113, and NEE in 127......the people you described in 118 in your post were likely unaffiliated and part of the people mentioned in my first point....the "see and be seen" crowd with no intention of supporting.

Personally, I think that many supporter groups is a great thing......each group has their own beliefs on how they support TFC, and lumping them all together is not a good idea.

In fact, I'd say that so far this year, more than before ideas have been exchanged between SGs with regards to chants and songs.....keep it up guys.......and lets bring down the fucking house tomorrow!!!!!!......RPB, U-Sector, NEE.....I have no doubt the supporters will bring it!! :canada:

Oldtimer
04-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Im in 114, and for the first 2 seasons i seemed like i was the only one chanting.sinings in the first 6 rows...it was sad as i need more voices to drown mine out:D....we will see what happens this season in 114..from the first 6 rows anways..

114 has a lot of scalper seats. I know, my own seats are in 114.

Get rid of the scalpers and bring in real supporters!

tfcmanu
04-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Bring in the NEE to the section between 111 and 112 and make all of 110 & 120 supporters sections and there we are all happy. :canada:

TFC Tifoso
04-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Bring in the NEE to the section between 111 and 112 and make all of 110 & 120 supporters sections and there we are all happy. :canada:

We (NEE) kinda like where we are......I don't think there's a need to move sections.....we bring support to the north end of the stadium, and involve people who otherwise wouldn't get the chance to if all the SGs were lumped in the south end.......and it provides the opportunity to give the visiting team hell from both sides of the pitch. :D

Edit to add:......and taking us out of the north end would fuck up the whole idea of the NORTHEND Elite

flatpicker
04-03-2009, 12:02 PM
I do see the plus side of having SG's in opposite ends of the field.
Like Tifoso says... it's spreads the support to other parts of the stadium and allows us to support TFC and give hell to visitors at both ends.

That said, it would be lovely if ALL supporters could be concentrated in one area of the stadium.
The noise and visuals that would take place would be beautiful.
But that won't happen without some serious work from TFC seat relocation/expansion.
A good start would be to work towards getting non supporters out of the supporter sections (mainly south end).
... and get supporters who are stranded in other sections into the south.

logistical nightmare perhaps... but it would make a lot of people happy!

JDG
04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Excuse me for posting this filth... but look at this:

http://www.mlsnet.com/t102/imgs/stadium/seating_map.gif

Paul B, et al.

If you close the gap between 112 and 111 I will give you a stronger South end. If you are looking to expand... Fill this gap for the love of everything nice and wonderful, and you will see a huge change.

Directing chants on a horizontal level even if you are in the middle of the South End will be almost impossible as long as scalpers and others remain in those sections.

As much as I hate to say it, Crew supporters will be a force to reckon with in terms of chants with that new supporters corner. And we heard them loud and clear on that day.

Give me this and I will bring you Rome.

The gap between 111/112 is the only place an Ambulance can get into the stadium. I won't be tampered with.

Red Rat
04-03-2009, 01:05 PM
The gap between 111/112 is the only place an Ambulance can get into the stadium. I won't be tampered with.

It has been stated over and over that it is impossible

Carter
04-03-2009, 01:44 PM
This is your mission if you choose to accept it..

Show the Sounders what true support is....

this message will explode in 5 seconds...

BRed
04-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Since I do not have a ticket for tommorrow's home openner :( I will watch it on TV and pay attention to how the supporters came across on TV. I'll try to see how unified the supporters are in their chanting and overall support around the stadium. After reading your posts I think our goal should not to be getting rid of the different suport groups but to promote better support group unision in chanting and a more brotherhood environment for the casual fans. I'll write a report here after...

LET'S DO IT! I'm so pumped! I feel like the Reebok basketball pump on the old school shoes.

FluSH
04-03-2009, 02:38 PM

Can they not come from somewhere else...??? make a whole by the beer garden! We need that place.

egoodwin
04-03-2009, 03:05 PM
an ambulance is not 30 feet tall...

the sections should be linked with like 5 or 6 rows above the gap

Jack
04-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Actually, the ambulance thing is no longer true, if I understand correctly.

They've got a beer stand there.

grimm
04-03-2009, 03:13 PM
But the beer stand is on wheels I think, no?

egoodwin
04-03-2009, 04:30 PM

well the beer stand isn't 30 feet tall either, nor does there have to be a view of the pitch from there...

swan
04-03-2009, 04:51 PM
1- in sec 116 i can't hear 90% of what you are chanting over there...

2- i've heard so many times when the section beside and my section can't even stay on time with another...

these are the 2 big problems i think if say U sec was in one corner and red patch in the other the crazyness would spread a lot faster but that can't happen now..

if people just listen to the section beside them instead of just belting out the chant it's not hard

james
04-03-2009, 07:01 PM
ya there is a beer stand there now. It maybe movable, but an ambulance only needs like maybe 7 feet to get through...not 30 feet, they can put seats above that gap...exspecially if they exspand the stadium.

FluSH
04-03-2009, 08:06 PM

WOOOOOOOAHT!

Paul, if you are going to extend add seats there... between 111 & 112...

I will bring you ROME.

FluSH
04-03-2009, 08:07 PM
ya there is a beer stand there now. It maybe movable, but an ambulance only needs like maybe 7 feet to get through...not 30 feet, they can put seats above that gap...exspecially if they exspand the stadium.

Air ambulance baby... haha make them come from above!