PDA

View Full Version : Athletes For Africa - Rohan Ricketts' Charity

KrazyKanadian
04-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Ricky was at Shoeless last night to promote awareness for the Athletes For Africa charity group. Here's a summary of who they are and what they do:

Why Athletes for Africa?

Athletes for Africa does things differently and we take great pride in the fact that we are grounded by three core beliefs: partnerships, education and the endless possibilities of sport.

1. Athletes for Africa believes in partnerships, and we will not recreate the wheel.

We partner with existing, locally led organizations whose programming is already delivering sustainable and empowering programs for youth. The partnerships with these established, innovative and committed organizations in Uganda, Sudan and the Democratic Republic of the Congo allow Athletes for Africa to deliver expert-led opportunities for youth, where they are needed most. By partnering we aim to limit duplication and minimize administrative costs; being certain that the money we raise is benefiting from experienced, successful programs that listen to and are connected to their communities.

2. Athletes for Africa believes that real change starts at home.

We spend as much as one-third of the money we raise on domestic programming that is focused on awareness, education and engagement activities with one goal in mind; to provide global citizenship opportunities for youth. Raising money to support programs in Africa is one way to help (and a very important one) however, we believe that the best way to impact change is to foster empathy and community-centered global citizenship. We are providing opportunities, through sport, for tomorrow’s leaders to make a difference today, and bring with them a confident sense of what it means to be an active global citizen.

3. Athletes for Africa does not export sport.

Everywhere you go, children play. What isn’t as prevalent are the opportunities for every child in Africa to get the education, training and opportunities we often take for granted. Athletes for Africa is centered, not on exporting sport, but on using the profile of sport as a platform to tell a story to our youth and to support this next generation of African youth, who are being left behind.

They also shared with us the following video, which I highly suggest you view. It gives a quick insight into the boys who play for Gulu United, in Uganda. For them, football really is life.

QCq_AuML3vM

I think this is a worthy cause and would recommend you visit their website to read up about what they do.

http://www.athletesforafrica.com/

(mods, move this as you see fit. It is indirectly TFC-related but I didn't want it buried in Off-Topic to start)

Parkdale
04-02-2009, 11:26 AM
ah. I litterally just copied the URL of that video and was going to post. you're fast!

I was there last night too, and this is really something that Rohan believes in.
It's good to see people giving back, especially when some people have so little.