PDA

View Full Version : The Brian McBride Sweepstakes

James17930
05-28-2008, 10:34 PM
So -- we hold the #1 allocation right now, which means we get first dibs on McBride.

What should we do with him?

1) Sign him.

2) Find out what team he wants to play for and extort that team for some good stuff (players and/or draft picks)

3) Make that other team take Cunningham as part of a deal.

From what I've heard, his choice might be Chicago.

RealG-TFC
05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Extort.

Lucky Strike
05-28-2008, 10:37 PM
A combo of 2 and 3.

RealG-TFC
05-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Yeah I don't want him here. He's not that good.

TFC-4-Life
05-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Ummm......Extort Extort Extort!

ag futbol
05-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Looking back at league history, MLS has a habit of making things up as they go. Using that logic, I can't see us getting anything out of this.

As a reference: Donovan came back to the league a comple years ago, Dallas owned his rights and wanted him on their roster. The league wanted Donovan in LA, they pretty much forced FCD to take jack shit in return for his rights and they ultimately signed Ruiz.

This all sucks, but we really have to admit these rules are incredibly stupid to begin with.

Northern Soul
05-28-2008, 11:47 PM

He would be in MLS and on TFC with the midfield we have. Saying that, if he wants to play somewhere else, definitely extort the team that will give us the most for him.

jloome
05-29-2008, 12:33 AM
He's going to Chicago, according to the Washington Post's Steve Goff, so the issue will be compensation.

THey might offer Chris Rolfe, who is having a really good season but isn't the DP caliber forward we're looking for.

It's also been suggested one one of the boards (Ives I think) that RSL, which is next in the allocation order, might trade up in exchange for Kenny Deuchar and a draft pick. Even though he played in the Scottish First Div, he's a good finisher (and, strangely enough, a doctor).

noochie
05-29-2008, 12:47 AM
^ when, I wonder?

CretanBull
05-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Sign him.

VPjr
05-29-2008, 12:56 AM

I disagree. an in form McBride is the best US striker in the world. He's a bigger talent than Landycakes in my opinion. He acquitted himself very well at Fulham (in fact, he's something of a legend at Fulham) and they would not have had to struggle so mightily to stay up this season if he had not been hurt for much of the season.

i would love to have him on our team but if we can't have him, I'd like to see the team get a good depth player (preferably an attacker...maybe Carr), a ton of allocation funds and a draft pick or two.

werewolf
05-29-2008, 01:03 AM
I think McBride is worth more to us as trade bait then he would as a player.

It's also been suggested one one of the boards (Ives I think) that RSL, which is next in the allocation order, might trade up in exchange for Kenny Deuchar and a draft pick. Even though he played in the Scottish First Div, he's a good finisher (and, strangely enough, a doctor).

that is interesting, when RSL came here, after the game he seemed to have friends/family waiting for him.

Roogsy
05-29-2008, 02:45 AM
I'd like to see what he can do. I can't believe people here are questioning this guy's ability. Probably the best striker in US history, he might have something in the tank and if he does...he would score bucketloads for us.

brad
05-29-2008, 06:08 AM
He's coming back to play in the US, not Canada. He won't play for us.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Meh. Chicago can have him.

TFC_Junky
05-29-2008, 07:08 AM
I'd like to see what he has left, then look at dishing him out to the highest bidder!

Steve
05-29-2008, 07:21 AM
He isn't playing here. He will refuse. The question is how much leverage this gives us (can we block a possible return by refusing to trade his rights?). Personally, my thoughts of our needs are as follows (oh, and the same needs apply to the inevitable Cunningham trade to free up a spot for a DP):

1) Allocation money - We want to sign a DP, and we've gotten good value for our dollar in international signings so far

2) Draft picks - Mo has been pretty good in the draft, and even if we start developing our own talent instead of trying to poach american kids, we can use them in future deals

3) Quality midrange (pay) depth player in midfield. We have strong depth in defence (Jimmy/Dunny left, Wynne/Velez right, JJ/Marshall/Velez/Tebily center), I'm not too concerned with our keeping, and I'd be fine with striking with DD backing up a DP (with Lombardo (ug) and Smith in waiting). I don't even mind our wings (Dunivant left, Smith right) but the center is week. With Edu, Robinson, and Guevera as our strength down the center, we really only have Harmse as a backup, and I can't stand him. We need a decent attacking (or at least box to box) option in the middle in case of callups/reds/injury.

ua-kozak_TFC
05-29-2008, 07:35 AM
He isn't playing here. He will refuse. The question is how much leverage this gives us (can we block a possible return by refusing to trade his rights?). Personally, my thoughts of our needs are as follows (oh, and the same needs apply to the inevitable Cunningham trade to free up a spot for a DP):

1) Allocation money - We want to sign a DP, and we've gotten good value for our dollar in international signings so far

2) Draft picks - Mo has been pretty good in the draft, and even if we start developing our own talent instead of trying to poach american kids, we can use them in future deals

3) Quality midrange (pay) depth player in midfield. We have strong depth in defence (Jimmy/Dunny left, Wynne/Velez right, JJ/Marshall/Velez/Tebily center), I'm not too concerned with our keeping, and I'd be fine with striking with DD backing up a DP (with Lombardo (ug) and Smith in waiting). I don't even mind our wings (Dunivant left, Smith right) but the center is week. With Edu, Robinson, and Guevera as our strength down the center, we really only have Harmse as a backup, and I can't stand him. We need a decent attacking (or at least box to box) option in the middle in case of callups/reds/injury.

But you have to look at the other side of the coin also because a team that may have allocation may not be interested in McBride. I am not even sure if there is a lot of teams that have allocation money left... Same thing goes for the players the most possible trade currency probably would be drafts. Since allocation in this leagues is a bit on the short side...

Canadian Blue
05-29-2008, 07:39 AM
is it a definite that he isn't staying in England?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Extort extort!
I dont think we will take a player in exchange simply because we dont have the room (financially or in our line up)

Kozak does bring up some good points, as a result i can see us taking some first round draftpicks and perhaps allocations...

I dunno

brad
05-29-2008, 07:41 AM
is it a definite that he isn't staying in England?

Yes, it's been officially announced that he is leaving Fulham and coming back to the MLS.

bhoybobby
05-29-2008, 08:06 AM

What?? No ggod compared to who in TFC / MLS

If he signs here, he is automatically our # 1 striker, bye by Cunny & Danny D will have a partner who has a football brain.

He's a starting EPL striker, he'd be a top striker in MLS no questions about it

koryo
05-29-2008, 08:07 AM
He's more than good enough for this league. Look at the impact he & Bullard had for Fulham when they returned from injury this year. Only reasons that team stayed up.

OneLoveOneEric
05-29-2008, 08:09 AM
SIGN HIM!!!
He'd more than good for the MLS. He'd be a great piece in our team.
What's money do if we're not allowed to spend it?

Davenport
05-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Brian Carver McBride.
Fulham 2004-2008 played 139, scored 32.
A fantastic record for a striker in a very average Premier division team.

Oldtimer
05-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Extort.
We can get something from CHI for him. He doesn't want to be here.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-29-2008, 08:22 AM
SIGN HIM!!!
He'd more than good for the MLS. He'd be a great piece in our team.
What's money do if we're not allowed to spend it?

Hes alway said he wants to finish his career in the US most likely at the team he started at (columbus) or his hometown (chicago). Either way we should be getting something in return.

sully
05-29-2008, 08:27 AM
A combo of 2 and 3.

agreed

OneLoveOneEric
05-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Hes alway said he wants to finish his career in the US most likely at the team he started at (columbus) or his hometown (chicago). Either way we should be getting something in return.

Then bring him here and let him sulk for a while. See if he changes his mind after a month or so of forced holiday. If he still wants out, let him go.
But I think we'd be crazy to not try to keep a guy that would so clearly score boatloads in the MLS.

Flashman
05-29-2008, 08:47 AM
I personally would rather see him go to RSL, or some one else, rather than CHI or the Crew. The last thing these two need from our point of view this year is a premier striker!

TorontoBlades
05-29-2008, 08:51 AM
If I rate McBride a 6/10.....that means he's probably a 7 or 8/10 because I hate him. But I'm seeing that some of the yanks out there are thinking he's a 11/10 and there rating him as the second coming of Maradonna.....

Buy low, sell high....it doesn't get any clearer than that

Billy the kid
05-29-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't pariculary want Chicago to get any better, I'd rather he go somewhere else if we were to trade his rights.

Technorgasm
05-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Buy low, sell high....it doesn't get any clearer than that

HE would mae a great addition to TFC, but his value to others might be more than his value to us.

Great player, no doubt will be a success in the MLS where ever he goes . . .jst NOT Chicago!

akoto
05-29-2008, 09:16 AM
He is quality no doubt about that. But.... He wont play here. He wants to be back in the US of A. I say EXTORT THE FUCK OUT OF THIS before MLS fucks us over. They have done it before and will do it again. Get something while we still can.

Billy the kid
05-29-2008, 09:22 AM
If we didn't have so many midfielders already, I'd say we try and bring DeRo home. That way we would we have our Canadian content locked in for a while. Not that it isn't good now.

Northern Soul
05-29-2008, 09:24 AM
If we didn't have so many midfielders already, I'd say we try and bring DeRo home. That way we would we have our Canadian content locked in for a while. Not that it isn't good now.

Screw it...bring him home anyway - set up a 3-team deal involving Chicago and Houston. We'd find a place for DeRo.

James17930
05-29-2008, 10:06 AM
But would Chicago really give up Rolfe?

arsenal
05-29-2008, 10:11 AM

They may have no choice if they want McBride. Donovan returning to the league in 2005 cost the Galaxy Carlos Ruiz (who at that point had scored 50 goals in 72 appearances for LAG). Granted Donovan was a hell of a lot younger but no where near as accomplished as McBride. Bringing McBride to Chi-town would be a great PR move for the Fire w/ the hometown boy returning home.

Mo knows how valuable he is and unless the league screws us over we should get top value for using the allocation. We should get one of their better young players out of the deal (Rolfe/Soumare/Nyakro/Mapp)

etro
05-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Mo is looking into the McBride situation... and says they are speaking to other clubs. They're fishing around for value for him probably, doubt he's going to sign here.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/content/printer_friendly/y2008/m05/d29/c161751.html

ensco
05-29-2008, 12:38 PM

Here's the deal I think could get done:

McBride + Cunningham

for Rolfe

Pyeddo
05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Nice... i like the sounds of that ensco

Flashman
05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Chicago doesn't want Cunningham, lol. They have an abundance of quality forwards already.

Shaughno
05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Why get the short end of the stick on a deal like that?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-29-2008, 12:44 PM
also we dont have the room for Rolfe and a DP striker (well, right now anyways).

Billy the kid
05-29-2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/05/29/mcbride29.ART_ART_05-29-08_C1_48ABFEK.html?sid=101
I had seen this article about him likely going to the fire, buy you're MLS article seems more accurate. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Damien
05-29-2008, 12:48 PM
We don't have any less leverage if he doesn't want to play here... too many teams have interest in him and we hold his card. Let the bidding wars begin (if they havent already!)

Damien
05-29-2008, 12:52 PM
just thought of this but there might be an average chance we could package him up with out DP spot since he's going to need one... the Fire have already used theirs on Blanco.

OneLoveOneEric
05-29-2008, 12:54 PM
^^^Reasonable to think that would happen, but I'll be really pissed if it does.
That means we don't keep McBride, and we lose our chance of signing our own DP striker this year.
Seems shitty to me...

Ossington Mental Youth
05-29-2008, 12:56 PM
^^^Reasonable to think that would happen, but I'll be really pissed if it does.
That means we don't keep McBride, and we lose our chance of signing our own DP striker this year.
Seems shitty to me...

yeah agreed, i dont see that happening especially with all the speculation that we will use ours in the next transfer window. It would have to be a monstrous package and even then id be hesitant.

Damien
05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
It would have to be a monstrous package and even then id be hesitant.

the MLS does have a few dumbass managers :D

Flashman
05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Must....have....more.....news.....ughhhhh.....

My boss is going to flip out on me, lol

S_D
05-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Mo is looking into the McBride situation... and says they are speaking to other clubs. They're fishing around for value for him probably, doubt he's going to sign here.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/content/printer_friendly/y2008/m05/d29/c161751.html

I like this part of the article:

"If he doesn't end up here, we're looking for something very big"

I think Mo wants more than just cash :D

I was reading the BS boards (chicago) and their idea of equitable trade for the rights are unloading all of the crap on their team (very entertaining :rolleyes:)...

What I found a bit more concerning is they seem to think that MLS will force TFC to make a trade if McBride wants to play in Chicago.

Besides the Galaxy having to give up Ruiz for Donovan, are there any other instances of MLS forcing/influencing trades? Just wondering about the history as I have only followed MLS a few years prior to TFC joining.

And personally if McBride goes anywhere I would prefer to see him go out west. No point in making strong Eastern teams even better.

TFC OZZ
05-29-2008, 05:48 PM
I want De Ro, Houston's playing like shit, and he has to realize that now is a better time to come to TFC rather than later.

JDG
05-29-2008, 05:57 PM
I like this part of the article:

What I found a bit more concerning is they seem to think that MLS will force TFC to make a trade if McBride wants to play in Chicago.

Besides the Galaxy having to give up Ruiz for Donovan, are there any other instances of MLS forcing/influencing trades? Just wondering about the history as I have only followed MLS a few years prior to TFC joining.

And personally if McBride goes anywhere I would prefer to see him go out west. No point in making strong Eastern teams even better.

The league exerted it's influence to get Chvas to release Guerava to TFC.
This recent action in our favour could count against us in this case.

This comment is not based on anything I've heard, it's just my opinion.

brad
05-29-2008, 06:18 PM
This is should be interesting. I imagine McBride will hold all the cards here. Big name US player returning from a very successful stint in one of the best leagues in the world. That will have the MLS marketing folks wetting themselves. We may hold his rights, but I imagine that he will end up where ever he wants. I doubt that the MLS will intentionally try and screw us, but if we play hardball, I could see them stepping in and us getting screwed.

Marco2K
05-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I want De Ro, Houston's playing like shit, and he has to realize that now is a better time to come to TFC rather than later.

Sounds good to me.

ManUtd4ever
05-29-2008, 06:31 PM
The league exerted it's influence to get Chvas to release Guerava to TFC.
This recent action in our favour could count against us in this case.

This comment is not based on anything I've heard, it's just my opinion.

That is a valid point although Garber seems to have a vested interest in seeing TFC succeed on the pitch as well as off the pitch. I don't see the league intervening as long as MoJo is reasonable in his negotiations with clubs interested in acquiring McBride...

joel
05-29-2008, 06:34 PM

Really? We need a striker not an AM, as much as I would like to have him we already have guevara and he's pretty darn good.

Azerban
05-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Really? We need a striker not an AM, as much as I would like to have him we already have guevara and he's pretty darn good.

Dichio
Guevara DeRosario
Robert Ricketts
Robinson
Brennan Tebily Velez Wynne
Sutton

I have faith in Dichio.

Also we can deal Edu, his value is shrinking with each game he plays.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Dichio
Guevara DeRosario
Robert Ricketts
Robinson
Sutton

I have faith in Dichio.

It looks good but i think youre underestimating Edus value adn the direction hes headed in. Hes actually playing relatively well, its just hard to tell with all the other talent around him.

joel
05-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Dichio
Guevara DeRosario
Robert Ricketts
Robinson
Sutton

I have faith in Dichio.

not bad i suppose, I don't care much for edu at the moment either, however that puts a lot of responsibility on robinson, I don't know how much the wingers will track back...

but all the same why would houston get rid of their best player, and that's prob not even where mcbride would want to go?

Keyman
05-29-2008, 07:47 PM
It looks good but i think youre underestimating Edus value adn the direction hes headed in. Hes actually playing relatively well, its just hard to tell with all the other talent around him.
No, he's really not.
Why do people still defend him? Almost everyone understands his role, and he is not playing it well at all.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-29-2008, 11:17 PM
So we've been playing that poorly defensively that you would either a) rid of him all together or b) replace him with the likes of Harmse?

Uh-uh, dont think so.
Hes not going forward as much as last year and his passes arent as crisp but thats cuz hes still learning.
Sorry man, not buying it.

ensco
05-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Robinson's only here for another year or two, Edu can play sweeper for 10 years after that

Edu's young, and the goals he scored last year were heady wine, they've affected his game. It'll be OK.

Don't trade him!

bhoybobby
05-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Last year Edu looked like a real gem. This year he looks like he's been reading his own press clippings along with RR.

Both have been very dissapointing. Hopefully Carver can get in their heads & help them step up.

Oldtimer
05-30-2008, 07:59 AM
DP Striker
Guevara DeRosario
Robert Ricketts
Robinson
Sutton

Now that's a good line-up! :canada:

Monk
05-30-2008, 07:35 PM
That is a valid point although Garber seems to have a vested interest in seeing TFC succeed on the pitch as well as off the pitch. I don't see the league intervening as long as MoJo is reasonable in his negotiations with clubs interested in acquiring McBride...

And to have the balls to sue the shit out of the league if they take a heavy handed rules change approach to screw us. A nice Bosman of the MLS kind of shitstorm!

-W.

Laurignano
05-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Extort!!! I hope this works out how we are planning it too lol

nascarguy
05-30-2008, 08:18 PM
what if we take Cuauhtemoc Blanco or Chad Barrett (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t100&player=barrett_c&playerId=bar569516&statType=current) from them and some money

jloome
05-30-2008, 08:55 PM
what if we take Cuauhtemoc Blanco or Chad Barrett (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t100&player=barrett_c&playerId=bar569516&statType=current) from them and some money

Hehehe, in our collective dreams. I can see it now: Blanco quietly tells MLS to move him to Toronto or DC where his play will actually be appreciated. League flips our dp spot for their dp spot. Toronto wins the title walking away.

Dirk Diggler
05-30-2008, 09:21 PM
No, he's really not.
Why do people still defend him? Almost everyone understands his role, and he is not playing it well at all.

I agree completely. We also heard the same excuses last year about Carl Robinson. People kept on telling us that he really is playing well and that the only ones who think he isn't don't know football. Well look at him now. Compare his performance so far this year to last year. There is an obvious difference. This year it has become quite obvious that he is playing well. There is nothing subtle about it. Last year he was shit and this year he is above average MLS standard. If anyone really believed that he was good last year must think that he is EPL standard right now.

And I don't buy that 10 year plan thing either. Does anyone stick that long with a single team in the MLS? If Edu is still in the MLS for the next 10 years, I would be quite disappointed. He should be able to attract European interest even if he displays the same flashes of brilliance that he displayed last year. If he is unable to replicate that, I don't think he would be worth keeping anyways.

S_D
05-30-2008, 09:32 PM
:) there is no way we would get blanco....

I think that MLS will try and keep out of it unless they can't come to a deal. I have faith in Mo though to be able to pull something off.

Barrett or Rolf + major allocation (to fit under the cap next year) and maybe a low draft pick or two would make me really happy. We need depth at forward and it would take the pressure off having to sign a DP forward right away. We would need a U.S. roster space to fit in either of the two, so trade Cunny for what we can get. With some luck he will do well against the Gals so his trade value will go up.

And if the Fifa player rules are going to kick in for sure and we need a Canadian, Barrett or Rolfe may be the sort of bait needed to land Dero. Unfortunately we would still need a forward but a DP could look after that.

TFC OZZ
05-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Ok, I was just thinking about a possible move. I would think that most teams right now would kill for the opportunity to sign McBride, while others, feel that they can sign McBride and get another team to pay up big for him. I propose we sign him, trade him to Dallas for Kenny Cooper ($58,000, 23 years old, 6'3 american international centre forward, who's playing teriffically right now) and Adrian Serioux (Canadian international, $125,000). They have a new coach who might want to shake things up in the locker room because Dallas has been underperforming. Honestly, I really think Cooper would be an awesome aquisition. If they want to sign him and keep him, then we trade them our DP for half the season, and get more allocation from them. McBride says he wants to play in MLS for a year and a half, why can't he play half a season for Dallas then move to Chicago?

ensco
05-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Cooper is a star who should be and will be a USMNT starter. You are dreaming.

I don't think they care much about Serioux, he's probably available but what we we do with him? We're loaded in MF

Ossington Mental Youth
05-31-2008, 07:40 PM
as well as we have no room for players.
we will be getting rid of Cunny for our DP striker (if we sign one).
Basically id bet we are looking for allocations and draft picks

devioustrevor
05-31-2008, 07:48 PM
And if the Fifa player rules are going to kick in for sure and we need a Canadian, Barrett or Rolfe may be the sort of bait needed to land Dero. Unfortunately we would still need a forward but a DP could look after that.

I wouldn't be too worried about that. The proposed 6+5 rule wouldn't affect MLS. Last I read some legal expert plainly stated that the rule would violate both U.S. and Canadian law.

Broadview
05-31-2008, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about that. The proposed 6+5 rule wouldn't affect MLS. Last I read some legal expert plainly stated that the rule would violate both U.S. and Canadian law.

How so? There's already limits on foreign players in MLS and look at the CFL...

Anyway, it'll be a few years before any such rule kicks in and when it does, it's likely to be gradual.

S_D
05-31-2008, 08:22 PM
as well as we have no room for players.
we will be getting rid of Cunny for our DP striker (if we sign one).
Basically id bet we are looking for allocations and draft picks

yeah I wouldn't be surprised unless a 3 way deal is in the works. Unfortunately draft picks aren't as valuable to us as they are to the U.S teams so maybe they can be flipped for more allocation cash. Did anyone find out if O'brien White counts as a Canadian? Any Canadians in the upcoming draft?

jloome
05-31-2008, 08:26 PM
How so? There's already limits on foreign players in MLS and look at the CFL...

Anyway, it'll be a few years before any such rule kicks in and when it does, it's likely to be gradual.

It's likely to be non-existent. It violates international labour laws and free trade agreements.

TFC OZZ
05-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Cooper is a star who should be and will be a USMNT starter. You are dreaming.

I don't think they care much about Serioux, he's probably available but what we we do with him? We're loaded in MF

Exactly. He's making 58K a year. Is on a team that's doing shitty right now. Just had the coach fired, and the new one may shake up the team. I say why wait, this guy's already on of the best in MLS, so why don't we try and grab him while the stacks are in our favor, instead of signing him in 3 years, when he IS a USMNT starter and making 300K.

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-31-2008, 09:36 PM
I can't see him playin for TFC

ensco
06-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Exactly. He's making 58K a year. Is on a team that's doing shitty right now. Just had the coach fired, and the new one may shake up the team. I say why wait, this guy's already on of the best in MLS, so why don't we try and grab him while the stacks are in our favor, instead of signing him in 3 years, when he IS a USMNT starter and making 300K.

If Dallas were willing to trade him, I might be willing to move one of Edu or Wynne for him. Not saying I want to trade our guys, btw.

Cooper is that good.

But for McBride, or any other veteran on our team, or draft picks? No way they'll do it.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-01-2008, 10:42 AM
yeah I wouldn't be surprised unless a 3 way deal is in the works. Unfortunately draft picks aren't as valuable to us as they are to the U.S teams so maybe they can be flipped for more allocation cash. Did anyone find out if O'brien White counts as a Canadian? Any Canadians in the upcoming draft?

He does and you can bet hes on the radar.

Lucky Strike
06-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I would take Cooper in a heartbeat but even though FCD might be looking to shake things up as suggested, a Cooper for McBride deal wouldn't improve Dallas and likely wouldn't agree to it, much less with Serioux thrown in the mix.

LucaGol
06-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Kenny Cooper is a beast....there's no way in hell Dallas is trading him...not at that salary anyways.

Cooper's not meant for this league anyways, I could see him easily playing in Europe...easily. That is of course unless the salary cap goes up and we can pay players like him more money to stay.

If Chicago wants McBride, they're gonna have to obviously give up one of their forwards, because right now they have around a million of them...

Rolfe
Carr
Thorrington (kind of a mid)
Frankowski
Herron
Barrett
Nyarko

Barrett's not going anywhere, he's been great this year.

Rolfe is the player I want...but will they deal him is the question.

Carr is talented and would add more depth to our team...but I feel is not enough for Brian McBride.

The other possibility is getting a player like Justin Mapp who I believe is not playing as well as he has in the past. 2 things...I doubt Chicago want to trade him...secondly, although I think he's a great player, Im not sure where he'd play on our team tbh...he's kind of surplus at TFC, as strange as that is to say.

If we can swing a deal where we give them Cunningham (just to dump his salary) and Mcbride for allocation, Chris Rolfe and maybe Calen Carr....I think I'd be over the moon. Chris Rolfe is very versatile, soccer smart and can play on the shoulders of a bigger striker, or as the main guy himself (I believe).

TFC OZZ
06-01-2008, 11:14 AM
I hate Carr.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-01-2008, 11:33 AM
So where in our 18 man roster are these new players going to go?
Even if we dump Cunny we only have one slot and 200k.
What about our DP?
Do we just not use our DP slot for the likes of Carr or Rolfe?

These are rhetorical questions btw, we dont have room for new players...

LucaGol
06-01-2008, 11:51 AM
So where in our 18 man roster are these new players going to go?
Even if we dump Cunny we only have one slot and 200k.
What about our DP?
Do we just not use our DP slot for the likes of Carr or Rolfe?

These are rhetorical questions btw, we dont have room for new players...

Ever heard of a trade...or waiving a player.

Cambridge_Red
06-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Last year Edu looked like a real gem. This year he looks like he's been reading his own press clippings along with RR.

Both have been very dissapointing. Hopefully Carver can get in their heads & help them step up.

Looks like Carver sorted one of them out. IMO RR was our man of the match yesterday.

jloome
06-01-2008, 12:11 PM
I hate Carr.

Yeah, he's one of those guys -- plays with swagger, as if he could pull out Robinho-ish tricks, then is all-together mediocre. Like a pre-Beckham Landycakes, really.

Rolfe would be OK, but he's not enough on his own for McBride, especially when Chicago still needs a DP slot as well. I imagine the negotiations between TFC and the league are pretty intense right now. If they want our DP slot along with McBride's allocation, we'd better be getting something exceptional -- Barrett, Mapp and their first pick next year, plus cash, or something like that.

Here's the other issue: if we can't move some bodies (harmse? cunny, who might still be more of a threat than Barrett) how are we going to sign anyone.

May end out making more sense for Mo to either make McBride a 2-year DP deal he can't refuse (and note in doing so that Toronto-Chicago is a very short plane ride) or give up his rights to retain our allocation slot.

OR, we could sell the allocation slot, allow whomever gets it to sign or trade McBride to Chicago, get major cash back for it and splash it on a DP striker.

Lots of options.

LucaGol
06-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Here's a good plan

Move 1
To Chicago:
Cunningham
McBride

To Toronto:
Rolfe
Allocation Money
2nd round draft pick

Move 2
To Wherever:
Pat Phelan

To Toronto:
First round draft pick

Move 3
To Toronto:
Patrick Kluivert

Ossington Mental Youth
06-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Ever heard of a trade...or waiving a player.

Thats a given but who can you say you feel comfortable waiving or trading?
Obviously its left up to Mos discretion and hes got a great track record but i dont think the trade situation is as easy as people think

(interesting/reasonable plan youve come up with above, dont think Chicago want Cunny but then again they do want McBride so they will prob take him if necessary)

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2008, 01:51 PM
He's bloody Captain America isn't he?

Pass

Dirk Diggler
06-01-2008, 03:52 PM
He's bloody Captain America isn't he?

Pass

Claudio Reyna?

SteeltownBhoy
06-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Interesting discussion on the Chicago board. They believe they still hold the MLS rights
to Canadian Will Johnston (Canada U-23 Olympic). They also seem to believe he is out of contract in Holland.

A good young Canadian striker would be very tempting for TFC. He was great in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament. Thats if any of this is even true and not rumour and there was no more interest in him in Europe.

But Mo hates Canadians.

brad
06-01-2008, 05:09 PM
I read somewhere that it would be possible for Chicago to do the deal without TFC. If there were to obtain a DP slot from another team, they could then use that DP slot to trump our allocation for McBride.

Anybody know if this is true?

DigzTFC!
06-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves in what we will get back. Look at what we gave Chivas for Guevara....conditional draft picks, when they traded away their DP slot for the guy. MLS will likely give Toronto draft picks and partial allocation. Chicago will need cap space going forward. Cunningham is a bit of a mystery and his future uncertain. He played well enough in a 4-4-2 system that will be used while WCQ is going on. So long as Guevara is gone. The one thing that is hampering this team significantly right now is the lack of Canadians which limits Mo's ability to bring in players. After watching Serioux today, I think giving them Marshall would be a great trade. I actualy thought Placentino on Montreal looked good, but then I watched his next game and started to understand what performances look like day-to-day (runs at people, but can't score, but would make a nice winger).

As of right now, we need a starting striker of DP quality. We will NOT trade it to Chicago. Cunningham will likely be moved for the senior international spot required to fill that position. Unless we can trade Marshall for Serioux and them someone like Dunivant for allocation or draft picks. And then McBride for allocation and draft picks. Arguably, that could give us a better return. Of course, that is all contingent on Brennan being dropped from Canada. Otherwise we will need Dunny

TFC07
06-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I read somewhere that it would be possible for Chicago to do the deal without TFC. If there were to obtain a DP slot from another team, they could then use that DP slot to trump our allocation for McBride.

Anybody know if this is true?

Well Trader Mo didn't mention anything about that. So I am not sure if that is true or not.

Broadview
06-01-2008, 05:17 PM
According to Wiki (I know) Will Johnson hasn't played with the Fire since 2005. How would they still have his rights? Doesn't that expire after a year away?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Johnson_%28soccer%29

The kid looked great during Olympic Qualifing. If he's out of contract, I say take a run at him regardless. Not in lieu of a DP forward but in place of Cunningham.

Cunny's reputation seems to have more weight with yanks than it does up here. He's scored two goals in very few minutes this year and there's teams out there that would trade some allocation and/or draft picks for him. I think anyway. If there's a salary dump imminent, would it make sense to make space now?

And what's the exact date this month when DP's are half price when it comes to counting against the cap?

S_D
06-01-2008, 05:18 PM
who knows but they will have to give up something good for a DP.

Dirk Diggler
06-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Interesting discussion on the Chicago board. They believe they still hold the MLS rights
to Canadian Will Johnston (Canada U-23 Olympic). They also seem to believe he is out of contract in Holland.

A good young Canadian striker would be very tempting for TFC. He was great in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament. Thats if any of this is even true and not rumour and there was no more interest in him in Europe.

But Mo hates Canadians.

Hmm....that sounds intriguing. The only problem is that I don't think Will Johntston is done with his European endeavor so any such trade would obviously only be done if we are certain (through a verbal or preferably contractual obligation) that he would be coming back to the MLS.

jloome
06-02-2008, 02:04 AM
Haven't heard Frankowski's name mentioned yet. He'd be a hell of a signing, a polish international with a good scoring record who thrives on being set up from the mid, plus we could get them to throw Johnston's rights in as well.

ensco
06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Haven't heard Frankowski's name mentioned yet. He'd be a hell of a signing, a polish international with a good scoring record who thrives on being set up from the mid, plus we could get them to throw Johnston's rights in as well.

Can't imagine this. The Fire put too much into the Frankowski signing in the offseason, to be able to write him off so quickly.

Northern Soul
06-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Here's a better plan

Move 1
To Chicago:
McBride

To Toronto:
Rolfe
1st round draft pick

Move 2
To Houston:
Jeff Cunningham
Kevin Harmse
2nd Round Draft Pick

To Toronto:
Dwayne DeRosario

RedRum
06-02-2008, 12:10 PM
I just hope if Mo does make a deal he gets something now that will weaken the Fire in another area. They have played well this year and especially on the road. If we have a hope of making the MLS Cup that road may well lead through Chicago.

Oldtimer
06-02-2008, 12:50 PM
But Mo hates Canadians.

One of those "truths" the gets repeated around here until many people believe it. Just like the "truth" that Mo doesn't know how to get good foreign talent, and the "truth" that he just "lucked out" on two MLS drafts. Once these ideas get out, it takes a lot to disprove them.

Few of the Canadians who Mo dropped would make playing time on this team. I don't like that, but it's the truth. Braz, Reda, even Canizalez were just not good enough. Poz is the only one I would have liked kept, and he was too expensive in cap space terms.

Northern Soul
06-02-2008, 12:52 PM
One of those "truths" the gets repeated around here until many people believe it. Just like the "truth" that Mo doesn't know how to get good foreign talent, and the "truth" that he just "lucked out" on two MLS drafts. Once these ideas get out, it takes a lot to disprove them.

Few of the Canadians who Mo dropped would make playing time on this team. I don't like that, but it's the truth. Braz, Reda, even Canizalez were just not good enough. Poz is the only one I would have liked kept, and he was too expensive in cap space terms.

That I agree with. While it would be nice to have a plethora of Canadians, the problem is they just wouldn't cut it. Jimmy B and Greg Sutton are quality, and that's why they're still on the team.

ensco
06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Northern Soul, you have got to be dreaming -

the league MVP and MLS Cup winning goal scorer, for Harmse (who wouldn't have a job in MLS this year absent the Canadian content rule here) and Cunningham (who's clearly finished and has a huge contract)?

Northern Soul
06-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Northern Soul, you have got to be dreaming -

the league MVP and MLS Cup winning goal scorer, for Harmse (who wouldn't have a job in MLS this year absent the Canadian content rule here) and Cunningham (who's clearly finished and has a huge contract)?

Yep, I'm dreaming. :)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-02-2008, 01:34 PM
What can CHICAGO FIRE OFFER us for the SERVICES of MCBRIDE!! Do we make a great team better? Or do we keep him and become a FORCE!! Does MO have something big coming in from abroad?

CAnt wait till all this unfolds! :)

Jay1974
06-02-2008, 02:15 PM
This ESPN article has Conde as an option for McBride. I don't think I agree that our defense is too leaky though.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=541752&root=mls&cc=5901

Ossington Mental Youth
06-02-2008, 02:48 PM
This ESPN article has Conde as an option for McBride. I don't think I agree that our defense is too leaky though.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=541752&root=mls&cc=5901

Trade him to NY for someone big, he wants to go there and they want him. Dunno what tho. Also we dont wanna strengthen them.

Limani_Ole
06-02-2008, 03:17 PM
That I agree with. While it would be nice to have a plethora of Canadians, the problem is they just wouldn't cut it. Jimmy B and Greg Sutton are quality, and that's why they're still on the team.

That's a huge assumption!!
There is many good Canadian players out there that haven't been given a trial with TFC only because Mo was building a case against the player quota. Serioux is one example of a good centre back Mo traded before even training camp.

the list goes on..

dont buy into Mo's argument that the good canadian players are too expensive.. and the rest suck..

Ossington Mental Youth
06-02-2008, 03:54 PM
serioux was traded because he was going to be out 6 months with a broken leg.
Fail to see your argument thus far.
Mo has started an Academy and hired a canadian coach.
Sounds pretty inclusive to me.
id bet he will try and sign O'Brien White next year too.
(hes also a canadian).
Lets focus on the topic of the thread please.

BeachRed
06-02-2008, 04:17 PM
That's a huge assumption!!
There is many good Canadian players out there that haven't been given a trial with TFC only because Mo was building a case against the player quota. Serioux is one example of a good centre back Mo traded before even training camp.

the list goes on..

dont buy into Mo's argument that the good canadian players are too expensive.. and the rest suck..

I'm sure no coach in the world likes the idea of a quota. You get fired if your team loses and you get nothing for developing players for national teams.

But imagine if you're the agent of a Canadian player - of course your price goes up if TFC calls as opposed to any other team.

Now we'll see just how much an American team wants McBride. It's win-win for TFC.

ensco
06-02-2008, 05:13 PM
serioux was traded because he was going to be out 6 months with a broken leg.

Only partly.

1) Mo wanted Ronnie O, and that was the price.
2) Mo was rumoured (on these boards) to have had issues in the past with Serioux's agent - he apparently only selected Serioux, in order to trade him

Ossington Mental Youth
06-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Only partly.

1) Mo wanted Ronnie O, and that was the price.
2) Mo was rumoured (on these boards) to have had issues in the past with Serioux's agent - he apparently only selected Serioux, in order to trade him

All reasonable as well.

TFC OZZ
06-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I thought Serioux hurt his leg after the trade, so if that's true than I really don't see your argument on the Serioux front. (If he was hurt before the trade I'll shut the hell up right now...)

I still want Kenny Cooper.

T_Mizz
06-02-2008, 09:10 PM
This is all useless the MLS is such a rinky dink league that they'll make up some new rule that gives Chicago the rights because his name starts with an M or some bullshit like that. It's what they did with Adu and Donovan. Also there is no way that Chicago still has Johnson's rights. Also Mo doesn't hate canadians are you guys insane? He likes whoever will make the team better like ANY GM ANYWHERE does. BTW I don't think Poz was let go or any BS like that he was taken in the expansion draft and unfortunately there weren't any more protection slots left, somone had to go.

Lucky Strike
06-02-2008, 09:16 PM
For Pozniak, he was left unprotected because at the time, you had to protect your SIs first. If not, then Mo logically would have left Marshall unprotected since he was dealt away by Yallop from LA. As manager of SJ, Yallop probably still wouldn't have wanted Marshall.

Northern Soul
06-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Ok, how about a 3-team deal?

Move 1
To Chicago:
McBride

To Houston:
Rolfe
1st round draft pick

To Toronto:
Dwayne DeRosario

ensco