PDA

View Full Version : Who has the worst name in MLS?

TFCtorcida
05-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Teams with traditional names like United, Real, and FC are spared. everyone else is game...

Chicago Fire
Colorado Rapids
Colombus Crew
Kansas City Wizards
Los Angeles Galaxy
New Englan Revolution
New York Red Bulls
San Jose Earthquakes
Seattle Sounders

edit: can one of the admins make this a poll

Nodoubtguy
05-28-2008, 09:36 PM
NYRB...easy!!

denime
05-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Thread moved from News forum.
Thanks for understanding ;)

TFCtorcida
05-28-2008, 09:38 PM
can one of the admins make this a poll. i tried and failed

Sab0tage
05-28-2008, 09:39 PM
So many terrible names in MLS. I'd say Columbus Crew, New York Red Bulls and probably Chicago Fire.

Bars92
05-28-2008, 09:40 PM
NYRB...easy!!

Isn't there a Red Bull Salzburg ?

Angelo1405
05-28-2008, 09:40 PM
kansas city wizards

koryo
05-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Real bothers me as much as any of them. Talk about pretention. Not to mention the fact that it's widely pronounced 'Reel'.

Bloody Yanks. Can't get anything right.

dantdot
05-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Crew, Wizards and Earthquakes from very bad to bad. I'd say the rest are acceptable.

gweeds1180
05-28-2008, 09:57 PM
I'll go in order...
ALL OF THEM!!!!
I think football should not have nicknames unless they fit, you need someone who can use their brains that pick team names, like Tott hotspur isn't a bad name, wolverhampton wolves (although I'm not sure if the wolves is an official or nick name) isn't a bad name. Celtic and Rangers are good names.
Wizards? Crew? Earthquakes? Ya! Ok! They should all rename themselves to The Gorgs.
Columbus Gorgs
San Jose Gorgs
Columbus Gorgs
Kansas City Idiots
Columbus Gorgs

Lucky Strike
05-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Seattle ought also to be spared because it's actually Seattle Sounders FC. As for my choice, I'll go with the Columbus KKKrew followed by the Earthquakes. WTF? You're a geological phenomenon!!!

Bars92
05-28-2008, 10:05 PM
At least the Earthquakes existed before and have some history.

Pachuco
05-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Kolumbus K Krew

Lucky Strike
05-28-2008, 10:07 PM
So have Seattle, if that's what you were getting at. History is typically nothing to be scoffed at, but a bad name is a bad name: there's no getting around it. :D

Bars92
05-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Some buckwild shite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Soccer_League#Teams_of_NASL_1968-1984

Lucky Strike
05-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Lol, both San Jose and Seattle are there!

Bars92
05-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Great one: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=54&pictureid=321

ExiledRed
05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
I'll go in order...
ALL OF THEM!!!!
I think football should not have nicknames unless they fit, you need someone who can use their brains that pick team names, like Tott hotspur isn't a bad name, wolverhampton wolves (although I'm not sure if the wolves is an official or nick name) isn't a bad name. Celtic and Rangers are good names.

Why are your examples good names and others bad?

It's Wolverhampton Wanderers by the way, Wolves is short for Wolverhampton, go figure.

The Fire are so named afer the chicago fire of 1871, Chicagoans are very proud of the history of their city of which the fire and the rebuilding process is a major chapter. Perfectly respectable, except for the assumption from everybody else that its just a cheesy ill chosen commercial name.

The Rapids refers to a local geographic feature. also a good name IMO.

Revolution has a historical context, it too passes.

Kansas City Wizards is pathetic, plain and simple. The Wiz was even worse. 'Kansas City' would be perfect.

Real and Chivas are spin off clubs, The Red Bulls are a fucking corporate brand...all terrible.

This is just ridiculous:

Oct. 17 - Columbus Mayor Greg Lashutka unveils Team Columbus' name, logo, uniform, and colors. Columbus resident Luis Orozco was the only entrant in a month long contest to suggest that the team be named "The Columbus Crew."

Crew hands down is the worst name. Named by the only entrant in a failed competition.

Daveisonfire
05-28-2008, 10:37 PM

It's Wolverhampton Wanderers by the way, Wolves is short for Wolverhampton, go figure.

The Fire are so named afer the chicago fire of 1871, Chicagoans are very proud of the history of their city of which the fire and the rebuilding process is a major chapter. Perfectly respectable, except for the assumption from everybody else that its just a cheesy ill chosen commercial name.

Kansas City Wizards is pathetic, plain and simple. The Wiz was even worse. 'Kansas City' would be perfect.

Real and Chivas are spin off clubs, The Red Bulls are a fucking corporate brand...all terrible.

This is just ridiculous:

Oct. 17 - Columbus Mayor Greg Lashutka unveils Team Columbus' name, logo, uniform, and colors. Columbus resident Luis Orozco was the only entrant in a month long contest to suggest that the team be named "The Columbus Crew."

Crew hands down is the worst name. Named by the only entrant in a failed competition.

I picked the Wiz for this fact alone...."Kansas City", it's too easy, how could they get that wrong??

egoodwin
05-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Wizards is pretty bad. If this was for players, worst would be Vagenas

Toronto Ruffrider
05-28-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm sorry but Real can't be spared. Anyone who thinks 'Real' can go with 'Salt Lake' needs to see a neurologist.

netsan
05-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Wizards is one of the worst nicknames. It's obviously based on the Wizard of Oz story. The only good thing is the Cauldron name for the supporters. It sounds too cartooney for me.

I think that Real Salt Lake is the most ridiculous name in MLS. What does Salt Lake have to do with Royalty?

I actually don't mind the "Crew". However, I don't think it fits for Columbus. I can see it being used for a Steel Town like Pittsburgh, but not for ordinary Columbus.

Mango Kid
05-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Schellotto. Hands down.

Cashcleaner
05-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Real Salt Lake - So much is wrong with this. I don't have the time nor inclination to go on about it.

KC Wizards - Absolute rubbish.

San Jose Earthquakes - Can't believe they even considered it.

Azerban
05-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Real bothers me as much as any of them. Talk about pretention. Not to mention the fact that it's widely pronounced 'Reel'.

I pronounce it this way. Only for Salt Lake though.

Torcida
05-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Galaxy.

How am I the only one who voted for it?

Northern Soul
05-28-2008, 11:45 PM
The "Crew". Fucking terrible. Their logo just tops it all off.

Leafs 92/93
05-29-2008, 12:06 AM
The "Crew". Fucking terrible. Their logo just tops it all off.

t-that. wizards in a close second for being so painfully NA prosports generic.

RYANTFC
05-29-2008, 12:07 AM
new york red bulls is a fucking shit name, they also have a shite team

Mojo
05-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Can I vote for Real Salt Lake?

Real Madrid is named so because it was given the honour by Spanish royalty.

Did Salt Lake ever have any affiliation with Spanish royalty? No. Did they do their research on why Real Madrid/Betis/Zaragoza/Valladolid etc. were given the title of Royal?

NOPE!

Worst name in MLS.

noochie
05-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Those listed above are all bad. Especially the Earthquakes... who names their team after a natual disaster anyways? As stupid as the Hurricanes and Avalanche in the NHL... I never understood it.

katatonic
05-29-2008, 01:48 AM
wizardzz..earthquakes....typical soccer mom teams

King Tut
05-29-2008, 02:27 AM
New York Red Bulls (A.K.A. New Jersey Energy Drinks)

Fiin
05-29-2008, 05:04 AM
Even tho the Red Bull are shite.. the Wiz sound just lame.

Kooper
05-29-2008, 06:48 AM
Real Salt lake is the worst name.

Real is Spanish for Royal, the former Spanish royal family was Catholic. I find it interesting that a Protestant Mormon city in a nation that fought against Monarchies 232 years ago has a name that references a monarchy and Catholicism.

stugautz
05-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Crew is the worst team name.

Fred is the worst name for any one player. Come on....FRED?!? It's like they let him use it as an after thought. What's next? Joe?

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2008, 06:54 AM
Real Salt Lake have an affiliation with Madrid. But yes, it was a bad idea.

Where was the ALL option. I know, euro snob, teams have NA tradition. I just prefer no nicknames.

Nerepis
05-29-2008, 06:56 AM
I went with the Kansas City Wizards, very bad, if you're going for the "soccer mom" demographic at least go all the way- Hogwart's Wanderers. If it was a reference to The Wizard of OZ the Tornado's sounds more menacing.

redcard
05-29-2008, 07:21 AM
chivas USA should one of those choices, but i picked the wiz...

ACSertL
05-29-2008, 07:28 AM
New England and Chicago are clever so I didn't even consider those.

It was a toss up between New York (who are shite) and KC, but in the end I voted for New York (who are shite). The Wizards are a pathetic team name but to be named after an energy drink...not cool.

Steve
05-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Teams with traditional names like United, Real, and FC are spared. everyone else is game...

That is ridiculous.

The answer is obviously Real Salt Lake. I'm sorry, but the history of North American sport involves nicknames, deal with it. I'm not saying TFC is a bad name, it's a great name, it caters to the type of people they wanted to, and is actually unique in the league, but Real Salt Lake? Come on, that is a stupid name that is just trying to be "authentic".

Edit: And for the options, the Wizards is the worst. They just don't sound menacing at all. Fire is pretty good, Revolution isn't bad, Crew I actually don't mind (it elicits thoughts of comraderie and toughness), but Wizards? Come on, how about the unicorns? Them horses is badass.
Oh, and Seattle should be exempt as well. Seattle Sounders FC has their own history, I'm sorry if you don't agree with it, but the name has been around in the area for a long time. Deal with it.

dupont
05-29-2008, 07:52 AM
The only correct answer is the New York Red Bulls. BY FAR.

Davenport
05-29-2008, 08:07 AM
How can a poll asking this question not include the hideously named Real Salt Lake ?
Anyway, it should be Surreal Salt Lake....there's no water.....

TFCREDNWHITE
05-29-2008, 08:14 AM
This is just ridiculous:

Is this true?!?!?! because if it is, holy shiite!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHA

The only entrant!!!! one fucking guy, placing one fucking entry!!!!

HAHAHAH Kinda defeats the idea of a "crew" LOL they couldn't even assemble a crew of people to vote!!!

yanggoh
05-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Ohhhhh The Red Bulls Are Shite

Technorgasm
05-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Galaxy.

How am I the only one who voted for it?

Exactly. . The Galaxy is Bloody awful. . I dont care what history that name has in the NASL, or whatever back-woods bush crap it came from.

Its terrible.

BUT! this is a North American League and has followed NA tradition in its naming process. THANK GOD Mo and team had the sence to just stick with TORONTO FC. -

How about United Toronto of Canada? or Toronto Hosers? or something? we got lucky.

Was there any other names considered for our club? Is there any reports on this?

Flipityflu
05-29-2008, 08:43 AM
I went with the Kansas City Wizards, very bad, if you're going for the "soccer mom" demographic at least go all the way- Hogwart's Wanderers. If it was a reference to The Wizard of OZ the Tornado's sounds more menacing.

yeah, thank god we are in Toronto, where we would never name a sports team out of anything from a movie :canada:

superfrankielampard
05-29-2008, 08:44 AM
I picked the Wiz for this fact alone...."Kansas City", it's too easy, how could they get that wrong??

I like the sound of "kansas city" but the problem with it is Kansas city isn't actually in Kansas, it's in Missouri. So calling a team 'Kansas City' would be confusing for some.

Bars92
05-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Kansas City City
Kansas City Wednesday
Kansas City Wanderers

AL-MO
05-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Real Salt Lake

Northern Soul
05-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Kansas City Athletic sounds good too. KC Athletic. Much better than fucking Wizards.

Mojo
05-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Kansas City Ice Cream Sundaes!

Solved.

MUFC_Niagara
05-29-2008, 11:51 AM
mmmmm....i'd say the worst name for me is 'FC'

Hooligan69
05-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Real Salt Lake being left out of the poll is a disgrace as well. Horrible name.

chip_butty
05-29-2008, 12:43 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHA

HAHAHAH Kinda defeats the idea of a "crew" LOL they couldn't even assemble a crew of people to vote!!!

It means he was the only contestant to make that particular suggestion - not that there were no other entries.

tfcleeds
05-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I like the sound of "kansas city" but the problem with it is Kansas city isn't actually in Kansas, it's in Missouri. So calling a team 'Kansas City' would be confusing for some.

This isn't exactly true. Community America Ballpark, where the Wizards currently play, is located in Kansas City, KS. Now when they were in Arrowhead, they were playing in Kansas City, MO...

profit89
05-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Real Salt Lake have an affiliation with Madrid. But yes, it was a bad idea.

Where was the ALL option. I know, euro snob, teams have NA tradition. I just prefer no nicknames.

I'm the same. Leave the nicknames for the supporters.

A.C. (Athletic Club) Philadelphia

ExiledRed
05-29-2008, 06:32 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHA

It's on the Columbus Crew website.

http://columbus.crew.mlsnet.com/t102/load.jsp?section=about&content=timeline

coisty1966
05-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Some buckwild shite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Soccer_League#Teams_of_NASL_1968-1984

Oakland Stompers!!! haha

baresi76
05-29-2008, 07:20 PM
It's got to be Seattle.
Wtf is a sounder?
Galaxy is also pretty shit too!

tfcleeds
05-29-2008, 07:23 PM
It's got to be Seattle.
Wtf is a sounder?
Galaxy is also pretty shit too!

Named after Puget Sound, I believe. Anyway, Sounders is a traditional name, add the FC, it's pretty classy IMHO.

Dirk Diggler
05-29-2008, 07:27 PM
And before anyone mentions it, Vancouver Whitecaps is just about the most traditional football name in the world. Apparently the earliest teams were called "Blackcaps" or "Whitecaps" or "Bluecaps" etc....kinda like how baseball teams were called Red Socks or White Socks. Players wore coloured caps back in the day to distinguish the teams. Now I know that Whitecaps in Vancouver's name is referring to the waves or snow peaked mountains but the other aspect of the name is interesting to note as well.

TFCtorcida
05-29-2008, 09:46 PM
sorry guys i feel bad now for leaving Real Salt Lake off the list, i just thought since its a traditional name and there are so many worse ones out there like crew or wizards.

Gazza
06-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Real Salt Lake and Sporting KC

SQUIRREL
06-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't mind Sporting KC.....it is what it is???? There logo looks way better then when they were the wizards and there new stadium is going to look great.

Carts
06-12-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't mind Sporting KC.....it is what it is???? There logo looks way better then when they were the wizards and there new stadium is going to look great.

I don't mind Sporting KC - definitely better than 'Wizards' which sounds like Arena Football or Roller Hockey...

I watched their home opener this week - stadium looks GREAT. Hopefully it stays full. Nothing makes this league look worse than 15,000 empty seats at matches...

Even games that are sh*t quality seem better on TV if the place is packed...

Carts...

torontocelt
06-12-2011, 12:39 PM

This is just ridiculous:

I hate the columbus badge also, worse badge in all of football for me.

Brooker
06-12-2011, 12:40 PM
wow this thread is an oldie.

Carts
06-12-2011, 12:43 PM
I hate the columbus badge also, worse badge in all of football for me.

Truer words have never been spoken on this board, ever!

It is AWFUL!

Carts...

GuelphStorm2007
06-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I still think NYRB is the worst by a country mile to me it is just plain product placement, and Corporate. :scarf:

Carts
06-12-2011, 01:00 PM
I still think NYRB is the worst by a country mile to me it is just plain product placement, and Corporate. :scarf:

Imaging if we were called...

Toronto Major League Soccer Entertainment...

Or Toronto MLSE...

Carts...

Beach_Red
06-12-2011, 01:00 PM

These traditions don't seem all that different; Glasgow Rangers - New York Rangers, Glasgow Celtic - Boston Celtics.

billyfly
06-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Crew. Dumbest name in all Pro sports.

Kevvv
06-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Crew. Dumbest name in all Pro sports.

Bold assertion, given that the nickname of a hockey team on the west coast still references a Disney movie.

Globetrotter
06-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Why after 3 years of hibernation did this thread get responded to? What are you doing in the middle of a nice sunday searching this forum for old threads? Unbelievable. Not only are you answering a question from 3 years ago, you had to hunt your ass off to find this! :noidea:

TFCRegina
06-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Bold assertion, given that the nickname of a hockey team on the west coast still references a Disney movie.

Actually it references a bird.

The team is no longer known as the Mighty Ducks.

They are simply the Ducks.

Just saying.

Kevvv
06-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Actually it references a bird.

The team is no longer known as the Mighty Ducks.

They are simply the Ducks.

Just saying.

They are called the Ducks because they were called the Mighty Ducks - that's the reference. They weren't named the Ducks on a whim, or because Anaheim is particularly known for it's aquatic fowl.

Just, as they say, saying :D

LesH
06-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Worst: Columbus Crew
Crew of what? Ship's crew, Toilet cleaner's crew, Dishwasher's crew or NASA scientist's crew?

Second worst: San Jose Earthquakes
WTF, in the same way a team could be named then Tectonic Movements or Natural Disasters.

Cashcleaner
06-12-2011, 07:15 PM
The Crew is bad, but it's just not bad in the same way as Sporting KC or Real Salt Lake. "Crew" may be terrible, but at least it's original.

Redcoe15
06-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Wait 'till Montreal joins the league next year. ;)

Suds
06-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I'll have to go with Red Bull only because of the blatant product placement and promotion. While the Crew is bad, at least it's not a total and complete sellout like the Red Bull is.

As for the Fire. They are probably the one name that should not be on the list. That name has meaning and relates to their city.

KGH
06-12-2011, 11:10 PM
They are called the Ducks because they were called the Mighty Ducks - that's the reference. They weren't named the Ducks on a whim, or because Anaheim is particularly known for it's aquatic fowl.

Just, as they say, saying :D

Us folks in TO should be careful with the stones we throw.

Don't we have an NBA team named after a movie animal...

jonn seagull
06-13-2011, 01:27 AM
dallas burn hands down...

CSO_BBTB
06-13-2011, 01:42 AM
Maybe worth bearing in mind that it was originally the Wiz rather than the Wizards in Kansas City.

Joe Kool
06-13-2011, 08:58 AM
So many to choose from. I definitely think the "Crew" with their tough guy logo is probably the most stupid.

How come Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers got spared from this? Leaving them alone because they are new?

Cashcleaner
06-13-2011, 09:16 AM
So many to choose from. I definitely think the "Crew" with their tough guy logo is probably the most stupid.

How come Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers got spared from this? Leaving them alone because they are new?

I'll be honest, I like both names and logos. Could be better, but still among the better ones in the league.

http://media.oregonlive.com/timbers/photo/portland-timbers-primary1jpg-ece6509a8f01e440.jpg

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/whitecaps_logo_mls.gif

Parkdale
06-13-2011, 09:19 AM

look at the date the poll was started.

I've always thought the 'dynamo' was a bad name. Not the worst though

Joe Kool
06-13-2011, 09:20 AM
I'll be honest, I like both names and logos. Could be better, but still among the better ones in the league.

Yeah I wasn't going to say they were that bad at all. Just thought it was odd they weren't included. Now this is bad...toughguys.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/ColumbusCrew.png

Cristiano14
06-13-2011, 09:44 AM
The Dynamo was never initially supposed to be called the dynamo.
It was first announced as Houston 1836 and tht won in an online poll, unfortunately some mexican american's complained becuase that was the date that Texas was taken from Mexico and became a state. IMO 1836 would have been a much cooler name, with a lot more meaning. and It was been done with other teams in europe aswell.
http://www.houghfamilyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Houston_1836-500x488.gif

zeelaw
06-13-2011, 09:49 AM
lol Why did someone dig this up?

s2cazz
06-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Chicago Fire
Colorado Rapids
Colombus Crew
Kansas City Wizards
Los Angeles Galaxy
New Englan Revolution
New York Red Bulls
San Jose Earthquakes
Seattle Sounders

edit: can one of the admins make this a poll

Real Salt Lake... What's fucking royal about Salt Lake City?

BTW... glad we are doing more Market research for MLS

Parkdale
06-13-2011, 10:01 AM

yeah, god forbid people talk about the league because.... it's interesting to them.

:rolleyes::facepalm:

I lol when people try to play the 'market research card.

Like Don Garber is reading out boards and thinking 'Gee... maybe Red Bulls is a dumb name for a team?'

s2cazz
06-13-2011, 10:05 AM
yeah, god forbid people talk about the league because.... it's interesting to them.

:rolleyes::facepalm:

I lol when people try to play the 'market research card.

Like Don Garber is reading out boards and thinking 'Gee... maybe Red Bulls is a dumb name for a team?'

So no one from MLSE ever reads the boards... If they didn't then why do we have JDG

Give your head a shake man

MLSE CONVO:

"Fans are pissed. They are crying for some guy called JDG on the supporter forums. We better sign him no matter what the cost is."

Parkdale
06-13-2011, 10:11 AM
give my head a shake?

http://rightvoices.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/tinfoil-hat.jpg

and yeah, do you really think that they brought JDG here because we wanted him? You don't think that Mo and even Gansler (and all the other canucks in the organization) could have identified him as a potential player?

we didn't invent the idea, and certainly can't take credit for it.

Suds
06-13-2011, 10:15 AM
If MLSE/TFC are reading these boards for market research and acting on it, tickets would be cheaper and there would be free beer for everyone.

Sadly, I do not think they are reading these boards much. I could use a free beer once and a while at BMO. :)

s2cazz
06-13-2011, 10:33 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BgKYOlq1Tas/TUtakhvQpuI/AAAAAAAAA7o/Gd3824frxQg/s1600/11026-tinfoil+hat.jpg

Because JDG was a great fit with the players at the time right? thats why he is "Tearing this league apart" right now.

It had nothing to do with the team and what we needed to win and everything to do with ticket and jersey sales. You can't deny that.

Cashcleaner
06-13-2011, 10:37 AM
^ In all honestly, I do think s2cazz's theory is "entirely plausible".

And by that I mean "probably exactly what happened".

menefreghista
06-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Its not the fans fault IF the FO was making decisions based on internet forum chatter. That is a failure on the management people.

A lot has changed now though. Paul Beirne stopped openly interacting with the fans. But he does still lurk on the fan forums. And I'm sure other FO people do to.

Whether today's decisions are being made based on what is said here and other forums is another story all together.

DangerRed
06-13-2011, 10:52 AM
To everyone knocking Real Salt Lake, I love how Real Madrid doesn't seem to mind their name at all. From the wiki page:

Real Madrid and Youth Academy

As of September of the 2006 season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_2006_season), Real Salt Lake and Real Madrid have signed a 10-year co-operative agreement. Among the provisions of the deal are a biennial friendly match between the two teams to take place in Salt Lake City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_City), annual February training for RSL at the Real Madrid practice facility in Spain, and, perhaps most importantly, the creation of a $25 million elite youth academy in SLC that will train up to 200 players from ages 12 to 18.[25] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Salt_Lake#cite_note-24) The academy, a co-operative project for which Real Madrid will pay half the cost, will include academic facilities and dormitory housing.

s2cazz
06-13-2011, 10:59 AM
To everyone knocking Real Salt Lake, I love how Real Madrid doesn't seem to mind their name at all. From the wiki page:

Real Madrid and Youth Academy

As of September of the 2006 season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_2006_season), Real Salt Lake and Real Madrid have signed a 10-year co-operative agreement. Among the provisions of the deal are a biennial friendly match between the two teams to take place in Salt Lake City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_City), annual February training for RSL at the Real Madrid practice facility in Spain, and, perhaps most importantly, the creation of a $25 million elite youth academy in SLC that will train up to 200 players from ages 12 to 18.[25] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Salt_Lake#cite_note-24) The academy, a co-operative project for which Real Madrid will pay half the cost, will include academic facilities and dormitory housing.
Doesn't make Salt Lake Royal though...Hence the stupidity of the name.

Wull
06-13-2011, 11:16 AM
had to go for colorado, every time I see it at first it looks like rapists

Parkdale
06-13-2011, 11:43 AM
I just always get a laugh when people accuse completely passive things as 'free market research for MLS'

hey, what's the best food to get at BMO field?
Man, way to give MLSE some free market research.

hey, if TFC put out a black kit, would you buy it?
Oh look, someone from FO is making a poll.

You know who I'd love to see on TFC? Atiba Hutchinson!!
Well now that TFC has the idea from us, they might as well go though with it.

Carts
06-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Doesn't make Salt Lake Royal though...Hence the stupidity of the name.

There's a very large majority of Toronto residents that see the sport as "Soccer" and soccer only...

They hear 'Football' and they think American Football...

The league is called Major League "Soccer"...

Does that make Toronto FC, or 'Toronto Football Club' (which I know is not the official name) stupid...?

FC Dallas - stupid...? Vancouver WhiteCaps FC - stupid...?

'Real' is a traditional name in the sport - so is 'FC' at the end of the city...

But if 'Real' is stupid b/c Salt Lake is not Royal, then wouldn't 'Football Club' be stupid for a team that plays in Major League Soccer...?

Just asking... :D

Carts.... ;)

tfcleeds
06-13-2011, 11:57 AM
I realize this is an old poll, but Sporting Kansas City should be included in there as well for being a stupid name. Just because a team has a traditional football name doesn't mean it isn't stupid. I mean, imagine if the Columbus franchise was called Spartak Columbus, or the NE was called Borussia New England. Those prefixes would have absolutely nothing to do with their respective cities, any more than Salt Lake is royal.

Davenport
06-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Real Salt Lake and Columbus Crew are both very, very, very bad names.

Redcoe15
06-13-2011, 12:05 PM
I realize this is an old poll, but Sporting Kansas City should be included in there as well for being a stupid name. Just because a team has a traditional football name doesn't mean it isn't stupid. I mean, imagine if the Columbus franchise was called Spartak Columbus, or the NE was called Borussia New England. Those prefixes would have absolutely nothing to do with their respective cities, any more than Salt Lake is royal.
ITA. Kansas City Wizards was a dumb name. But Sporting Kansas City is infinetly WORSE!

tfcleeds
06-13-2011, 12:14 PM
I didn't think Wizards was that bad. It was definitely better than their original name, the Kansas City Wiz. I mean, what is that? Cheez W(h)iz? I need to take a wiz?

tfcleeds
06-13-2011, 12:31 PM
One of the worst MLS names of all time though has to be the Dallas Burn. Sports editors must have had a field day writing the headlines whenever they got blown out.

And also the Tampa Bay Mutiny was pretty dumb. What, was the locker room in a perpetual state of dissension?

Carts
06-13-2011, 12:33 PM
One of the worst MLS names of all time though has to be the Dallas Burn. Sports editors must have had a field day writing the headlines whenever they got blown out.

And also the Tampa Bay Mutiny was pretty dumb. What, was the locker room in a perpetual state of dissension?

I thought that was us...???

P-NUTZ
06-13-2011, 12:48 PM
crew, wiz and galaxy are stupid people trying to be creative and they suck and never try to be interesting again. unreal salt dick just sounds really stupid in this case, but the worst of all is ny - who show absolutely no thought and would be called whatever they are paid to be called. thats got to be the lamest ever.

DangerRed
06-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Hahhaha. Sounds like a region-specific STD. Usage: "You better keep your eyes and mouth closed during that Cleveland steamer, or you'll end up with a mean case of the Dallas burn."

jaahuuu
06-13-2011, 12:54 PM
'Real' is a traditional name in the sport
Traditionally, Real is only used by teams that were granted a royal patronage by the king of Spain, afaik.

No king of Spain (or anywhere else) granted that to RSL. American citizens are prohibited from accepting foreign titles of nobility, for a sports team to take that name is just dumb, especially using it to ride on the coattails of a popular foreign team.

TFCRegina
06-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Traditionally, Real is only used by teams that were granted a royal patronage by the king of Spain.

No king of Spain (or anywhere else) granted that to RSL. American citizens are prohibited from accepting foreign titles of nobility, for a sports team to take that name is just dumb, especially using it to ride on the coattails of a popular foreign team.

Real (Royal) Salt Lake...in a city in a Republic that violently rejected any monarchy imposed on it.

It's pretty fucking lame.

Parkdale
06-13-2011, 12:56 PM
crew, wiz and galaxy are stupid people trying to be creative and they suck and never try to be interesting again.

I understand the logic behind calling a team 'the Galaxy'.

They were trying to connect to US soccer's past, and make a theme.

oh right... the 'Cosmos' is where I'm coming from with this one.

still, it's not a very good name, but I understand it.

the 'crew' is just lazy.

TFCRegina
06-13-2011, 01:00 PM

the 'crew' is just lazy.

Also, they're based in LA...Hollywood is full of stars...

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/mls/losangeles/galaxy.html

Nickname:
Named after the barrage of stars and celebrities in Hollywood.

Parkdale
06-13-2011, 01:11 PM
yeah, that makes sense too.

P-NUTZ
06-13-2011, 01:21 PM
:drinking:and it rarely rains so at night you can look up and see all the stars!!!

s2cazz
06-13-2011, 02:15 PM
I just always get a laugh when people accuse completely passive things as 'free market research for MLS'

hey, what's the best food to get at BMO field?
Man, way to give MLSE some free market research.

hey, if TFC put out a black kit, would you buy it?
Oh look, someone from FO is making a poll.

You know who I'd love to see on TFC? Atiba Hutchinson!!
Well now that TFC has the idea from us, they might as well go though with it.

As someone who works in marketing, if I had this type of pre-made focus group available to me I know I would use it. Call it tinfoil hat if you want but if they aren't using us they are stupid. Judging by their balance sheet I would say they aren't stupid.

Parkdale
06-13-2011, 02:19 PM
they might read things on here, but the idea that team names (the subject of this thread) are up for a reworking based on this forum's opinions... it's a stretch.

habstfc
06-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Who has the worst name in mls?

I would have picked all of the above but I went with the crew. What is a crew anyway.

MarkEightThree
06-13-2011, 03:05 PM

the 'crew' is just lazy.

According to the NY Cosmos doc the name is actually stolen from MLB's NY Mets:
NY Metropolitans = NY Cosmopolitans

Davenport
06-13-2011, 03:13 PM

I would have picked all of the above but I went with the crew. What is a crew anyway.
A crew is a bunch of workers. Mainly sailors :D

Derko
06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
I went with the Kansas City Wizards, sounds like a lame Micheal Jackson show:

THE WIZ
http://www.mjfanclub.net/home/images/stories/thewiz.jpg

habstfc
06-13-2011, 03:34 PM
A crew is a bunch of workers. Mainly sailors :D

HAHA. I know what a crew is. What does that have to do with columbus?
At least the other teams have some sort of a connection to the team like a rapid in colorado a revolution in new england but a crew has no uniqueness to columbus.

Suds
06-13-2011, 03:40 PM

It's those three guys in the logo. You know, the one that represents how many people are in their supporters group. :D

Davenport
06-13-2011, 03:55 PM
HAHA. I know what a crew is. What does that have to do with columbus?
At least the other teams have some sort of a connection to the team like a rapid in colorado a revolution in new england but a crew has no uniqueness to columbus.

Maybe this crew landed there.

Roogsy
06-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Real (Royal) Salt Lake...in a city in a Republic that violently rejected any monarchy imposed on it.

It's pretty fucking lame.

This.

It's like calling a team from Toronto the "Yankees".

Carts
06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
This.

It's like calling a team from Toronto the "Yankees".

A better example...

It's like calling a team from Toronto the "Winners".

Carts... :smilielol5:

Cashcleaner
06-14-2011, 05:17 AM
There's a very large majority of Toronto residents that see the sport as "Soccer" and soccer only...

Does that make Toronto FC, or 'Toronto Football Club' (which I know is not the official name) stupid...?

FC Dallas - stupid...? Vancouver WhiteCaps FC - stupid...?

'Real' is a traditional name in the sport - so is 'FC' at the end of the city...

But if 'Real' is stupid b/c Salt Lake is not Royal, then wouldn't 'Football Club' be stupid for a team that plays in Major League Soccer...?

Just asking... :D

Carts.... ;)

No. "Real" isn't traditional in the slightest.

It works for Madrid because there is a very specific and significant reason for including the title in the club's name. Not only is there nothing "royal" about Salt Lake. For that matter, there's nothing Spanish about it either.

Real Salt Lake was named that because someone at the organization felt it would have been a good marketing move to ride the coattails of one of the world's most recognizable clubs rather than develop their own identity. That's pretty much all there is to it.

If anything Toronto FC makes the most sense. It's the Toronto Football Club. Where are they from? Toronto. What do they do? Play football. What sort of organization are they? A club.

Carts
06-14-2011, 08:40 AM
If anything Toronto FC makes the most sense. It's the Toronto Football Club. Where are they from? Toronto. What do they do? Play football. What sort of organization are they? A club.

Well, to a lot of people - they play "soccer"...

I like Toronto FC - LOVE it in fact...

I was pointing out how people CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT ANYTHING around here...

Because, you can make an arguement, that calling a team 'Football Club' in a 'Soccer League' could be, COULD BE, COULD BE, just saying COULD BE, seen as dumb and something for someone to complain about...

I was actually thrilled when Toronto FC was announced...

Ok, BE HAPPY PEOPLE!!! :D

Carts... :drinking:

Azerban
06-14-2011, 09:12 AM
What sort of organization are they? A club.

...really?

Fort York Redcoat
06-14-2011, 09:32 AM

No. It would make those people stupid for never even hearing of the game of Soccer being called football around the world. More accurately, ignorant of what the fans the team was marketed to know quite well.

Carts
06-14-2011, 09:38 AM
No. It would make those people stupid for never even hearing of the game of Soccer being called football around the world. More accurately, ignorant of what the fans the team was marketed to know quite well.

CMNT's Jersey's suck...

See, we can complain about anything...

Missing the point people... I'll stop...

JESUS CHRIST!

Derko
06-14-2011, 09:43 AM
^ Let's not bring JC into it, he's an innocent bystander.
I got your point, lol

Cashcleaner
06-14-2011, 09:43 AM
...really?

Okay, you got me on the last one. :(

Carts
06-14-2011, 09:50 AM
^ Let's not bring JC into it, he's an innocent bystander.
I got your point, lol

Your right...

Especially since he's also my drinking buddy so technically I'm never drinking alone... :drinking:

Carts... :D

Fort York Redcoat
06-14-2011, 10:06 AM
CMNT's Jersey's suck...

JESUS CHRIST!

And apparently can do so in any thread... To bring this back to topic I believe we can agree that "worst" is a matter of opinion. Furthermore, a poor name choice doesn't necessarily mean one does not support their local.

eg. "Leaves"

Beach_Red
06-14-2011, 10:56 AM

It's not a club, it's a franchise.

Wull
06-14-2011, 11:09 AM
It's not a club, it's a franchise.

Well we did get Frei with that ...........

Suds
06-14-2011, 11:37 AM
CMNT's Jersey's suck...

JESUS CHRIST!

I'm going to bring a couple of those blow-up Sumo wrestling suits to the tailgate on Saturday so you two can settle this :D

I'll be taking bets on the winner. :drinking:

flatpicker
06-14-2011, 12:16 PM

I think it was Jimmy Fallon who made a joke the other day... something like:

Why do the English call it "football" when they play the sport with a soccer ball?

Made me chuckle anyway.

Cashcleaner
06-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Well we did get Frei with that ...........

Bah-Dum Ching!

Super
06-14-2011, 01:04 PM
I think it was Jimmy Fallon who made a joke the other day... something like:

Why do the English call it "football" when they play the sport with a soccer ball?

Made me chuckle anyway.

That was a good one. But I do believe it was Norm MacDonald on the Sports Show.

prizby
06-14-2011, 01:04 PM
why have kansas city wizards...they aren't the wizards anymore

might as well add tampa bay mutiny and dallas burn etc

flatpicker
06-14-2011, 01:08 PM
That was a good one. But I do believe it was Norm MacDonald on the Sports Show.

You are correct.
It's the only time I have ever seen that show, so I was having trouble remembering where I saw it.