PDA

View Full Version : They can keep their fucking hands off Carver

GabrielHurl
03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7975700.stm

BBC Sport understands that Alan Shearer will be appointed as Newcastle manager until the end of the season.

Magpies legend Shearer, 38, has been continually linked with a return to the club and admitted in September 2008 he would like to be manager.

Chris Hughton is currently in caretaker charge at St James' Park as interim manager Joe Kinnear recovers from a triple heart bypass.

Shearer rejected an invitation to join Newcastle as a coach last November.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
United will likely go with someone with more experience then JC..now if JC continues to be a success here 2-3 years down the road...then worry.. Shearer will end up like Keegan, and either quit, or be fired...

jloome
03-31-2009, 05:32 PM
^^ No dude, there's history. Carver was Shearer's favourite field coach, and the belief has long been that if appointed, Shearer would try to get him.

I doubt JC would take a coaching job there again, though. Most guys don't like to step back from the challenge of management until they've actually crapped out.

King Jeff
03-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Somebody on the BBC staff a bit anxious to get their April Fool's Day joke posted? If true, this has disaster written all over it.

T_Mizz
03-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Yeah I get the feeling that the only way JC would leave is to take a managment position he won't want to be just a coach again, he wants to be in charge.

Detroit_TFC
03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
What are the chances that NUFC stay up, with or without Shearer? They've got a tough remaining schedule.

Shakes McQueen
04-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Kinnear signed an extension with Newcastle earlier this season. I suspect Shearer is just interim manager, as Kinnear is out for a while with medical problems. I also suspect this is the only reason why Shearer took the gig - because it was temporary, and because Newcastle could really use the morale boost right now.

As the article itself noted, Shearer rejected an offer for the job last year. Probably going to wait until the front office debacle is over.

Good for them, though. I really hope Newcastle stays up. I'd hate to see a club with such a great history in the top flight of English football, get relegated.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
04-01-2009, 01:17 AM
I don't really know what the chances are that Carver would be given an offer to return to Newcastle, but I certainly hope he sticks it out here in Toronto.

I don't give a fuck about what all the Carver haters think, the guy is the heart and soul of this club. If anyone is going to take us to the MLS Cup, it should be him.

Super
04-01-2009, 01:30 AM
No need to worry, folks. Carver is here to stay. In case you missed it, our coach has all the passion in the world and wants to be the one to take this team up the road of success. Why settle for an assistant role when you can run the show? Here, with us, he's the boss -- and he's not going anywhere.

Calvin
04-01-2009, 04:48 AM
United will likely go with someone with more experience then JC..

ummm no its shearer for sure.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01042009/58/premier-league-shearer-newcastle-reins.html

best club in england!

Kooper
04-01-2009, 06:48 AM
ummm no its shearer for sure.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01042009/58/premier-league-shearer-newcastle-reins.html

best club in england!

Soon they will be the best club in the Championship.

Shaughno
04-01-2009, 07:06 AM

:rofl:

drewski
04-01-2009, 07:08 AM

its funny cause its true :D

rocker
04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
John Carver will last longer at TFC than Shearer will at Newcastle ;)

Heathen
04-01-2009, 08:27 AM
John Carver will last longer at TFC than Shearer will at Newcastle ;)

Olivier Tebily lasted longer at TFC than Shearer will, 4 managers in a season what an utter shambles

Hitcho
04-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Guys, SHearer is only a temporary appojntment until the end of the season, it's not a permnanet gig, at least not yet. My guess is they are hoping for the short term motivation effect of a new iconic coach to give them enough of a lift to scrape out of the relegation zone. After that, they'll look for a permanent manager. it mya be Sherare if he does really well, it may be Kinnear who as someone mentioned signed an extension not long ago or they may look elsewhere. Only in categoty 3 would JC be at risk of leaving I think, and to be honest I would be very surprised if a club as big as newcastle took a punt on JC. He'd need to show sustained ability and success as a manager here first, if not at a Championship club as well.

Either way, I really hope JC stays with us for a long time. I'd love him to lead us to a few MLS titles, ideally at least one while we still have some key original players left, like Jimmy, Robbo and Greg (and Dichio if we can manage it this season!).

Hitcho
04-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Shearer has gone for Iain Dowie as his No.2 according to the Daily telegraph, so JC isn't on the hit list for now at least...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/5089078/Alan-Shearer-and-Iain-Dowie-backed-to-steer-Newcastle-out-of-relegation-trouble.html

Lucky Strike
04-01-2009, 09:33 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7975700.stm

JC is not going to want to coach in the Championship...

drewski
04-01-2009, 09:37 AM
he can't go anywhere, his scarves aren't even in yet :lol:

Fort York Redcoat
04-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Yeah I'd be more worried after Shearer gets punted out...

pubboy
04-01-2009, 09:46 AM

No they wont - Coventry are still there for another year !

Hitcho
04-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah I'd be more worried after Shearer gets punted out...

I dunno. I'd be very surprised if JC was appointed manager of the barcodes outright. But he is known to be close with Shearer, so if Shearer stays on after this season as permanent manager, then you have to think Dowie will move on and look for a manager's job again and Shearer will need a new no.2. At that point, I'd be worried about losing JC. Assistant manager at a big PL club is a very common stepping stone to a manager's job. I just cannot see JC ever being manager of Newcastle in his own right without something more than an MLS club on his managerial (not coaching) resume.