PDA

View Full Version : New US pointyball league in MLS stadiums

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-28-2008, 07:35 PM
on tonights edition of american soccer (gol tv) there is talk of anew US pointyball football league wanting to set up in MLS stadiums? The host asked the question about MLS owners if they are in for the sport of soccer with SSS or looking for more Cash as sport owners. This is the last thing soccer needs in the US and Canada as well, pointyball has NO place in SSS and this issue must be delt with by MLS ASAP....come on MLS put the boots to this idea.:mad:

werewolf
05-28-2008, 07:36 PM
they can play in a local college or university stadium, no need to mess up a SSS.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-28-2008, 07:38 PM
they can play in a local college or university stadium, no need to mess up a SSS.

true but i think they like the atmoahere these stadiums create, and the new league would not have to build stadiums themselves.

Cashcleaner
05-28-2008, 07:39 PM
A new football league in the states? Is it gonna be pro or semi-pro/amateur?

ag futbol
MLS really has to put it's foot down. Single use, SSS stadiums only. No football lines, no renovations after the fact, end of story.

You're never going to get a good tv deal if you keep having to play in stadiums where you can see traces of lines on the fields.

BeachRed
So many pro football leagues have failed in the US, the WFL, the USFL even the CFL in the US.

Between high schools, colleges and the NFL there's just no more football needed.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-28-2008, 07:44 PM
its going to be called the UFL...what that stand for who knows....its supposed to be pro along the lines of the CFL.

dantdot
05-28-2008, 07:47 PM
You forgot the XFL, remember HE HATE ME :smilielol5:

jayeden
05-28-2008, 07:49 PM
its going to be called the UFL...what that stand for who knows....its supposed to be pro along the lines of the CFL.

useless?
unecessary?

BeachRed
05-28-2008, 07:54 PM
How could I Forget the XFL?!?!

These guys have a website http://www.ufl2008.com/about_the_ufl.html that says they'll start in 2008 but they've already pushed that back to 2009. Apparently there's a law that says the NFL can't broadcast games on Friday night to protect high school football, so these guys are going to try that. Can't see the NFL just stepping aside.

They even say they'll have a team in Columbus! One of the guys behind the league was involved with the USFL Oakland Invaders - this league has zero chance of success. If they think there are enough quality players that the NFL has somehow missed, they're crazy.

Unless, I guess, they allow players with prison records, that'll fill out some rosters.

jayeden
05-28-2008, 07:58 PM
How could I Forget the XFL?!?!

These guys have a website http://www.ufl2008.com/about_the_ufl.html that says they'll start in 2008 but they've already pushed that back to 2009. Apparently there's a law that says the NFL can't broadcast games on Friday night to protect high school football, so these guys are going to try that. Can't see the NFL just stepping aside.

They even say they'll have a team in Columbus! One of the guys behind the league was involved with the USFL Oakland Invaders - this league has zero chance of success. If they think there are enough quality players that the NFL has somehow missed, they're crazy.

Unless, I guess, they allow players with prison records, that'll fill out some rosters.

- it actually doesnt look like a half bad idea
- targeting areas that are underserved by the nfl
- tickets will be cheap, like mls cheap.
- there is def. a lot of leftover 'pros' that play pro-college bowl but never go any higher

could definitly work, just dont associate with mls PLZ

graeme117
05-28-2008, 08:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Football_League_%282008%29)

look at the potential city area. New York, LA and Salt Lake are the only MLS cities mentioned. It's suck if they started using the HDC for USMNT fans and Galaxy fans... but given that LA is the 'marquee' franchise w/ becks, i doubt this would happen. It could be likely that the NY red shites and Salt Lake would allow this to happen to recoup investment faster on their new stadiums.

Hopefully the 'supporters' (assuming NY actually get some ;) ) will take a lead from our anti-argo protest and harass their FOs into backing off this

Cashcleaner
05-28-2008, 08:03 PM
I took a look at some of the potential team locations. They had Sacremento, Birmingham, and San Antonio all listed as candidate cities which is notable as they all had CFL expansion teams back in the day.

Also took a look at the AAFL (All-American Football League). Looks like they are trying to do the same thing as the UFL.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-28-2008, 08:08 PM
to MLS just say NO to the UFL.....need more stadium get the new womens league in, USL teams to act as u23 teams for current MLS teams.

BeachRed
05-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Also took a look at the AAFL (All-American Football League). Looks like they are trying to do the same thing as the UFL.

These leagues come along all the time, they never work.

There really is no "under-served" US football market because there are so many college teams and even high school teams.

I can't see why these leagues will have any more luck taking on the NFL than any of the previous attempts. They just look like AAA or farm teams.

The USFL started out as a spring league, having their championship game on July 4th, pulled out all the patriotic stops, but that failed and they went to a fall schedule pretty quickly. They had some future big names, too, Jim Kelly and a few other quarterbacks, but they're really up against the NFL.

Didn't Montreal have a team in the WFL, the Machine?

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-28-2008, 08:42 PM
These leagues come along all the time, they never work.

There really is no "under-served" US football market because there are so many college teams and even high school teams.

I can't see why these leagues will have any more luck taking on the NFL than any of the previous attempts. They just look like AAA or farm teams.

The USFL started out as a spring league, having their championship game on July 4th, pulled out all the patriotic stops, but that failed and they went to a fall schedule pretty quickly. They had some future big names, too, Jim Kelly and a few other quarterbacks, but they're really up against the NFL.

Didn't Montreal have a team in the WFL, the Machine?

yes the machine were one of the better attended teams in the league, then just vanished.

Dirk Diggler
05-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Just because there is no NFL team in the market doesn't mean there are no highschool or college teams. In Texas and many other states, a lot of HS football teams put up TFC type attendance figures over the course of the season.

BTW, is this the league that Mark Cuban seemed to be interested in?

BeachRed
05-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Just because there is no NFL team in the market doesn't mean there are no highschool or college teams. In Texas and many other states, a lot of HS football teams put up TFC type attendance figures over the course of the season.

BTW, is this the league that Mark Cuban seemed to be interested in?

Yes, he's mentioned in connection with the league.

Red CB Toronto
05-28-2008, 10:08 PM
It is the United Football League, one of their major money backers is Mark Cuban, also have some major Wall Street capital behind it, looking to kickoff with 8-12 teams in 2009.

ccopela
05-28-2008, 11:20 PM
I have no problem with sss's trying to recoup some money by using their stadiums for other things. I would welcome rugby or field lacrosse, women's games, high school and university sports (except gridiron) The lines on the field make it look really bad. (I know rugby has some lines on the field but it's no where near as bad.

ensco
05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
A Miami MLS expansion/relocation franchise would likely use FIU's new 23,000 seat pointy football stadium

Broadview
05-29-2008, 03:30 PM
I saw the American Soccer report as well. One of the hosts threw the thought out that we'd see which MLS owners were soccer-people and which were money people.

I's throw Columbus into the mix of cities that would be candidates. They've hosted pointy-ball games there as well, there's no super-close NFL team and Ohio is football crazed.

They built that stage and aren't even pulling in many concerts to bring in extra bucks like they wanted.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-29-2008, 05:25 PM
lets just hope the UFL dies a quick painful death at the drawing boards..

BeachRed
05-30-2008, 11:02 AM
A Miami MLS expansion/relocation franchise would likely use FIU's new 23,000 seat pointy football stadium

I wonder if anyone at MLS has talked to Mark Cuban about this? The way franchise fees are going up in MLS it's a way better investment that a new pointyball league.

ensco
05-30-2008, 11:17 AM
I saw the American Soccer report as well. One of the hosts threw the thought out that we'd see which MLS owners were soccer-people and which were money people.

I's throw Columbus into the mix of cities that would be candidates. They've hosted pointy-ball games there as well, there's no super-close NFL team and Ohio is football crazed.

They built that stage and aren't even pulling in many concerts to bring in extra bucks like they wanted.

They aren't pulling in ANYTHING

check stubhub for events there, all you find are Crew games

Toronto Ruffrider
05-30-2008, 12:06 PM
This isn't a brand new issue for some MLS stadia. Pizza Hut Park doubles as a home for high school football in Frisco IIRC.

Of course, FC Dallas has bigger problems when it can only draw 9k fans for a Saturday game. RSL or not, that just doesn't cut it.

Fort York Redcoat
05-30-2008, 01:44 PM
UFL wouldn't fly here. Toronto Phantoms, anyone?
CFL didn't work down there because it was our game.