PDA

View Full Version : New CB - What's Going On ? !!!

anto7
03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
It's been very quiet on the rumour mill of late.
mlsintoronto - I appreciate that you cannot give specific details but could you at least let us know if something is still being worked on and if so is it likely to be something in the near future or later in the season ?.
If nothing is happening then at least we can stop thinking about it all the time.
Cheers
:)

rocker
03-30-2009, 11:18 AM
the MLS transfer window closes April 15... if there's a CB I imagine he'll show up right at the deadline, the way Dichio did in 2007.

Laurignano
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
That just made me realize...we were promised a DP this season too.....lol

EGP
03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
there will be no CB. as long as our guys keep doing well, witch they have, Mo Jo wont dish out the cash. realistically, our defense has played just as good as any other D in the league. Carver looks like he is confident in the guys that he has.

MartinUtd
03-30-2009, 11:24 AM
^^even Harmse?

Remember Carver doesn't want to rely on Velez and so far Harmse isn't showing himself to be the better option.

EGP
03-30-2009, 11:29 AM
hmm. i would disagree. Harmse is a better player then Velez. he has done well, and despite the shite hand ball call last weekend, he has been productive. the thing is, we don't know what Carver tells them to do in the locker room. some games he wants the ball booted out of the defense, others he wants control. harmse can do both, unfortunately Velez cannot. Harmse has been playing over Velez (except when we were depleted) so, I would say, he is " showing himself to be the better option"

Ossington Mental Youth
03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I dont see a cb coming before this window shuts, prob something in the summer tho

anto7
03-30-2009, 11:31 AM
^^even Harmse?

Remember Carver doesn't want to rely on Velez and so far Harmse isn't showing himself to be the better option.
I agree, I certainly would not feel comfortable having Harmse in the defense all season(anyone notice the pass he gave right to the Columbus player just after they hit the post, the one that resulted in the awesome save by Frei ?.). I know he was actually playing midfield but this showed how much of a liability he can be in defense.
Perhaps Serioux will bring out the best in Velez but I would be much happier if we could bring in a new seasoned CB.

TFC RealDeal RPB
03-30-2009, 11:36 AM
we need all the player's we can get, so i think we will get two more player's befor the deadline

EGP
03-30-2009, 11:40 AM
serioux made equally risky mistakes. our guys are gonna make a mistake here and there. that is part of the game. we are way to hard on harmse. if we could sit back and be objective we would see he is a good player. i think we haven't givven him a fair shot. Velez got his last year. it's Harmse's turn.

EGP
03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
i think we are over analyzing our "CB" situation. i say we see how things go until the summer. Mo and carver are smart, and they want to win. if we don't go to play offs this year, they will probably not have jobs come the new year. so, if they think what we have is insufficient, compared to contenders, we would already have new players.

MartinUtd
03-30-2009, 11:57 AM
i think we are over analyzing our "CB" situation. i say we see how things go until the summer. Mo and carver are smart, and they want to win. if we don't go to play offs this year, they will probably not have jobs come the new year. so, if they think what we have is insufficient, compared to contenders, we would already have new players.

If we don't go to the playoffs this year then they most certainly will NOT have jobs. I think simply getting into the playoffs is setting the bar too low. We have a good squad, one that I feel (without delusion) can take on any other in the league. Anything short of playoffs would be a complete and utter failure of epic proportions.

The fact remains that we don't have two starting quality CB's and the sooner we remedy that situation the better.

Dave67
03-30-2009, 12:00 PM
That just made me realize...we were promised a DP this season too.....lol

By DP they meant

Dwayne
Pablo

It's MLSE - expect double speak!

ExiledRed
03-30-2009, 12:27 PM
The best form of defence is attack.

This was why we beat Kansas, because the play wasn't focused in our own half and we were able to outscore them.

This is how Seattle keeps a clean sheet with a standard MLS defence.

It's all about attacking and keeping posession in your opponents half, if your forwards and mids are doing this, you don't need DP players in defence.

What's goin to lose us games, is blasting sitters into the sky, soft passes that inevitably get intercepted and lead to a full on counterattack (How many times did this happen against Columbus?) and an inability to keep posession when the team is moving forward.

Needlessly giving the ball up on the attack is what's causing our defenders to have to scramble, because one moment they are preparing to make a run forward , and the next (for no reason other than a weak play when we are on the offense) they are blindsided by a counterattack that shouldn't have happened.

Harmse was solid on Saturday, while Ricketts, DeRo, Barrett and Smith were all playing the ball to Columbus's feet.

trane
03-30-2009, 01:00 PM
^ I am a defence first guy, so the way I see it a good defence genrates a good counterattacking offence.

Having said that I agree with you in that if you do not have the defenders, the best way to protect them is to keep posession in their half, and you analyses in regard to the Columbus game is bang on.

RedTFC
03-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Come on all the attacking and possession in the world does not decrease the need for a quality player at the back, so when the situation does occur (and it will) it gets dealt with properly and not in the back of our net. A new CB is the top priority maybe dealing one of the goalies away would help?

trane
03-30-2009, 01:08 PM
^ I agree. I am a defense first buy, I would play with four at the back and two DMs. But knowing that you have a problem at the back, as we do, you need to make sure you are not careless in posession.

poppamidnight
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM

This was why we beat Kansas, because the play wasn't focused in our own half and we were able to outscore them.

It's all about attacking and keeping posession in your opponents half, if your forwards and mids are doing this, you don't need DP players in defence.

What's goin to lose us games, is blasting sitters into the sky, soft passes that inevitably get intercepted and lead to a full on counterattack (How many times did this happen against Columbus?) and an inability to keep posession when the team is moving forward.

Needlessly giving the ball up on the attack is what's causing our defenders to have to scramble, because one moment they are preparing to make a run forward , and the next (for no reason other than a weak play when we are on the offense) they are blindsided by a counterattack that shouldn't have happened.

Harmse was solid on Saturday, while Ricketts, DeRo, Barrett and Smith were all playing the ball to Columbus's feet.

I, Along with Jimmy Brennan, Adrian Serioux, and a shitload of TFC fans will respecfully disagree with you on this point...

Harmse was not solid... He sucks when players come at him, he coughs the ball up too easy, and genuinely looked disinterested last game (as per Jimmy Brennen ripping him a new one in the first half... TWICE)
I saw serioux give it to him once....

Then there was this time when the two stooges (Velez + Harmse) got a royal f-up between them... They both looked at each other for a second expecting to be told how f'n stupid they were... then they realized they were the two worst defenders on the team, so they really couldn't blast each other... There was a 5 second delay, then Velez started chirping him to save face... It was kinda funny, not sure if the camera's picked that one up...

If our captain and our best CB see the guy being shite enough to call him out on the pitch, then that says he indeed wasn't "solid on saturday,"

Fishnicker
03-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I dont see a cb coming before this window shuts, prob something in the summer tho

You could be right - but did anyone catch Ives on ICF sat? He said a deal is in the works, possible completion date by the 15th (window shut) but that the team which owns him is doing very well at the moment. He didn't know the players name or the team (despite the prodding by Ben et al.) and wasn't too sure on the specifics. I think he mentioned he is big name for MLS though...

jwfm1985
03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Maybe it is Parke?

BuSaPuNk
03-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Having Harmse and Velez back there is like having Berg and Lumme in the back with the leafs....pure on the edge of your seat everytime they have to do something. Listen I think Velez played well in Coloumbus and does deserve to start against Seattle. Harmse has been a liability everytime he has been on the field. I hope they bring another defender in before the deadline.

Hitcho
03-30-2009, 01:27 PM
You could be right - but did anyone catch Ives on ICF sat? He said a deal is in the works, possible completion date by the 15th (window shut) but that the team which owns him is doing very well at the moment. He didn't know the players name or the team (despite the prodding by Ben et al.) and wasn't too sure on the specifics. I think he mentioned he is big name for MLS though...

Hyypia!!!! :D:D:D

maninb
03-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Maybe it is Parke?

It isn't Parke....He's in the process of signing with Vancouver...Having said that, he'd be better than anybody we've currently got, including Serioux, and I wish we'd of pursued him..

Yohan
03-30-2009, 01:34 PM
It isn't Parke....He's in the process of signing with Vancouver...Having said that, he'd be better than anybody we've currently got, including Serioux, and I wish we'd of pursued him..
According to Ives Parke is only training with Whitecaps with probable view of trying for European market

You think Whitecaps has enough to offer to Parke?

maninb
03-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Ives said today that parke will sign with vancouver and try Europe again in late summer...So basically vancouver is just renting him..

Pachuco
03-30-2009, 01:37 PM

No idea where you got that. All that's been said about Parke is that he's training with Vancouver. That's it. Doesn't mean squat.

maninb
03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
John Molinaro has said he KNOWS who this CB is...but can't say for whatever reason...

dantdot
03-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Ives was on ICF saying he's pretty sure he's not Canadian, that narrows it down :)

rocker
03-30-2009, 01:42 PM
so whoever he is, he must be currently under contract.. and he's playing out his current team's season as much as possible, then will be released by his club on mutual agreement, to be signed by TFC right at the end of the window (April 15). I've seen this scenario before ;)

Pachuco
03-30-2009, 01:44 PM
so whoever he is, he must be currently under contract.. and he's playing out his current team's season as much as possible, then will be released by his club on mutual agreement, to be signed by TFC right at the end of the window (April 15). I've seen this scenario before ;)

well if he's released then it doesn't matter when we sign him does it? I thought MLS transfer deadline was only for players who were under contract?

anto7
03-30-2009, 01:44 PM
No idea where you got that. All that's been said about Parke is that he's training with Vancouver. That's it. Doesn't mean squat.
How about from here !
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/03/parke-plays-with-vancouver-close-to-signing-deal-with-whitecaps.html

Pachuco
03-30-2009, 01:49 PM
How about from here !
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/03/parke-plays-with-vancouver-close-to-signing-deal-with-whitecaps.html

Damn, that will make make our Canada Cup game a little tougher.

Nuvinho
03-30-2009, 02:03 PM
They should make it so that because Parke is playing against MLS opposition, he should be serving his suspension!!

rocker
03-30-2009, 02:15 PM
well if he's released then it doesn't matter when we sign him does it? I thought MLS transfer deadline was only for players who were under contract?

internationals can't come into the league after April 15 until the summer window. Trades can still happen within the league at any time tho.

Dichio was brought in exactly at the deadline under the circumstance I described above. He plays right up until the MLS deadline, is released on a free, and then his team sends the registration certificate. MLS doesn't accept the transfer of registration certificates after April 15 until the summer. So if Dichio had been released from his contract on April 20, he would be "free" but unable to get into MLS because he'd still be certified with his previous team.

ginkster88
03-30-2009, 02:17 PM
This has been oft-reported on these boards for weeks now. Many commenters on here have said that yes, a DC is coming, yes, he's a big name for MLS, and yes, he'll be here later rather than sooner. That's as close as we're going to get for now, let's just give it a rest and see what happens!

trane
03-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Canavarro. Real is doing well in league play, but Cana is getting to old for that league, so rumour is that he will come to the MLS to finish his career.

[piss take]

ginkster88
03-30-2009, 02:30 PM
I think it should be mentioned that we have allowed two goals during regular play this year... two goals from masterful strikes by one player.

There were breakdowns in Columbus, yes, but that's what a goalkeeper is for... some heart in the throat moments, but there would be fewer of those with Robinson and Guevara in the lineup.

I like the way we look right now, and we're doing well considering our defense is not even complete yet.

ensco
03-30-2009, 03:11 PM

I think you're right, but it's got nothing to do with getting a DP. Maybe the DP should be a striker. We'll see.

I want the best eleven we can have for the resources available. I think we should have management on notice: we know that you have resources (the DP slot and cash from the Edu deal) that you're not using.

Pachuco
03-30-2009, 03:56 PM
internationals can't come into the league after April 15 until the summer window. Trades can still happen within the league at any time tho.

Dichio was brought in exactly at the deadline under the circumstance I described above. He plays right up until the MLS deadline, is released on a free, and then his team sends the registration certificate. MLS doesn't accept the transfer of registration certificates after April 15 until the summer. So if Dichio had been released from his contract on April 20, he would be "free" but unable to get into MLS because he'd still be certified with his previous team.

So how do you explain Tebily signing after April 15th and before the summer? I'm pretty sure it was explained that an unsigned player can come into the league after April 15th, but I'm not the expert. I just go by what I hear on this stuff.

Nuvinho
03-30-2009, 03:57 PM
^^ That is correct. If you are an unattached player, you can sign after April 15th.