PDA

View Full Version : Rohan Ricketts

Bloor West FC
03-29-2009, 08:16 PM
He has got to go!!!!!!! Trade him while he is worth something.

flatpicker
03-29-2009, 08:17 PM
^ tell us how you really feel!

AL-MO
WTF

We are two games in.:taz:

BFin
WTF

We are two games in.:taz:
and he's 8 :drinking: in from the bus.

Get In There
03-29-2009, 08:19 PM

Man.................although I want to it's really hard to disagree with you.

A couple more games - as long as we are not losing, but I didn't see much from him yesterday.

$>talent

:noidea:

B

renda-10
03-29-2009, 08:21 PM
I dont know where Ricketts was last night, but he adds touch to TFC

TFC_123
03-29-2009, 08:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing while watching the game. As was mentioned, we are only two games in. So there are two tough ways to go about this: wait and hope he progresses or, as was mentioned, trade him while his stock is relatively high.

bee dubya
03-29-2009, 08:25 PM
He had a disappointing game yesterday and was largely invisible. I wouldn't write him off just yet though. He had similar games last year but he also had games where he scored braces for us.

renda-10
03-29-2009, 08:26 PM
I was thinking the same thing while watching the game. As was mentioned, we are only two games in. So there are two tough ways to go about this: wait and hope he progresses or, as was mentioned, trade him while his stock is relatively high.
you have to remember tho, every player has some good and some bad games. I agree yesterday we was not even there on the pitch in a game that we could have really used him but that doesnt mean that this is signs to come

TorontoBlades
03-29-2009, 08:27 PM

I bet you a beer you won't have that same opinion by the All-Star game.

Dozitwin
03-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Get rid of him....silliness. It kills me how quickly people turn on him. Last year we all loved him. He's got talent, a good touch. Granted he doesn't have a the pace of Wynne or Smith but he's definately has more vision than Smith does. I agree, last night was definately not his game but Smith came in and was much worse. Held on to the ball way too long, it was like he was dazzled by his own foot work. Viturally no link up with Jimmy or DeRo and every time Jimmy took possession and needed some support to move the ball Smith was running up field with his back to the play....I assume waiting for his next opportunity to jump around the ball to no result.

Know that said, does he have talent yes but he doesn't have any tactical sense or vision on the field. That something that hopefully will develop with more playing time but I totally get why he isn't a starter.

MUFC_Niagara
03-29-2009, 08:37 PM
He works hard and is NOT PAID TO SCORE GOALS. He wants to be here and He is a quality winger. This thread is uselss and unproductive. We've taken 4 from 6 on the road FFS!!!!!

Cambridge_Red
03-29-2009, 08:37 PM
It wasn't him it was his shoes.

Get In There
03-29-2009, 08:41 PM
He works hard and is NOT PAID TO SCORE GOALS. He wants to be here and He is a quality winger. This thread is uselss and unproductive. We've taken 4 from 6 on the road FFS!!!!!

What, is this thread going to make him weep in his mothers arms?

come on, it's a discussion, of course it's positive.

B

TorontoBlades
03-29-2009, 08:45 PM
A lot of people really need to watch TFC game better. Stop watching the scoreboards and start watching how he pulls defenders towards him all the time and that is giving players like Guavara and DeRo that much more field to play with.

Shaughno
03-29-2009, 08:47 PM
A lot of people really need to watch TFC game better. Stop watching the scoreboards and start watching how he pulls defenders towards him all the time and that is giving players like Guavara and DeRo that much more field to play with.

I agree for the most part, but these two games this season his quality on the ball was not up to par IMO.

Yohan
03-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Yesterday was Ricketts's chance to shine and he blew it. TFC needed that creative spark in midfield and Ricketts's just didn't deliver. Oh well.

I hope it's just a case of slump because the boy is too talented. However, I'm beginning to agree with the critics that something is just not clicking as much inside Ricketts's head.

Two games just isn't enough to warrant a boot, but Ricketts may lose his spot if he doesnt deliver soon and on a one year contract only

Get In There
03-29-2009, 08:49 PM

Was he not as confident because they were missing from the line-up?

Yohan
03-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Oh, Johann Smith may have blew his chance to dislodge Ricketts on the wing. What an abysmal game for Smith

Smith is a one dimensional player. Why do people rate him so much? (esp with limited action he's had with TFC)

LucaGol
03-29-2009, 09:07 PM
One thing I must say that really bugs me about Ricketts ... is that he doesn't know how to really wrap his foot around a ball. His crosses and shots are so toothless.

He basically always just floats crosses into the area.

Nuvinho
03-29-2009, 09:14 PM
What is the technology that Toronto FC uses again?

I am just asking, because it seems some people have access to that, to make a judgement on a player. If you have access to that technology, could you let us know how much ground did Ricketts cover? In which areas? etc.

I agree, that Ricketts had a bad game, but no matter what, he still does a good job defensively. He does play hard and hustles back to help out.

Offensively he hasn't started well. But as many said on here, its only 2 games. If that was the case.......shouldn't Barrett be gone as well?

Would you rather have Smith start? I'm sure he'll win praise from JC with his constant stepovers and running with his back turned with Jimmy B trying to pass him the ball.

Fushida
03-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Ricketts hasn't done well first two games, but he's still a notch above Smith... Johann has nothing but pace to offer... I thought he might have a good touch and dribble last year but yesterday was pretty abysmal. At least Ricketts has more ability to track back.

Yohan
03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Ricketts hasn't done well first two games, but he's still a notch above Smith... Johann has nothing but pace to offer... I thought he might have a good touch and dribble last year but yesterday was pretty abysmal. At least Ricketts has more ability to track back.
and footwork to make the opposition defender look silly once in a while

DoubleUp
03-29-2009, 09:54 PM
I was one of the biggest Ricketts fans when he first arrived, but his offense has lost fierceness. I remeber when Ricketts was the man with the stepovers and the swagger of a real threat, I just dont see that anymore. He needs a pilgrimage or something I dont know!

Canadian Blue
03-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Ricketts is defo better than Smith and a straight replacement is not the option. I find it funny how you all say we are only 2 games in.......Ricketts played the majority of last season and he is still yet to impress. Sure he had one game with 2 goals but largely he has been a bust.

Remember when he first came I said he is just another Andy Welsh.......I stand by that, remember Welshy scored a game winner for us as well.

wzhxvy
03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
But what would happen to Rolling with Ricketts ? The Twitter Updates ? Football in Africa ?

Until we solve the football problem in Africa, I am afraid he has to stay.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-29-2009, 10:03 PM
But what would happen to Rolling with Ricketts ? The Twitter Updates ? Football in Africa ?

Until we solve the football problem in Africa, I am afraid he has to stay.
BINGO.....ricketts head is into everything else instead of where it should be!! ON THE PITCH! also i think his fitness is brutal!!...He's been gassed at the 50th minute 2 games now

jabbronies
03-29-2009, 10:06 PM

Same thing that happened to the Eskey Blog. Gone gone gone! and then someone else will pick up the slack, just like they'll do in his position on the field :)

bignickel
03-29-2009, 10:37 PM
I was one of the biggest Ricketts fans when he first arrived, but his offense has lost fierceness. I remeber when Ricketts was the man with the stepovers and the swagger of a real threat, I just dont see that anymore. He needs a pilgrimage or something I dont know!

boy, i agreed with the 'ricketts and barrett for blanco' in the news section of the forum.
alot of people disagreed, but it's looking more like chicago would get short end of this deal.
the season is still very young but these guys have really to start showing up.

Roogsy
03-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Some of the comments here remind me of the Robbo haters. A little football education needs to be acquired.

Oblio2
03-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Some of the comments here remind me of the Robbo haters. A little football education needs to be acquired.

A-fucking-men

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-29-2009, 11:05 PM

sorry your right!......His play has been amazing....His fitness..is unreal...please educate me now!;) i hope for tfc's sake he breaks out of this slump...soon! But honestly i think this is as good as ricketts is and will get! my opinion..atleaste give me that!:)

bhoybobby
03-29-2009, 11:17 PM
RR has been a lightweight since he got here, a few flashes here & there, nothing sustainable. No one should be surprised, that's the story of his career to date.

Seems like a decent guy, but never gonna be a star, even in mls

Nuvinho
03-30-2009, 12:05 AM
hahaha.......I remember those threads from last year, how Robbo must go.........how bad he was.........that he is making too much money.......blah blah blah!!!

Shakes McQueen
03-30-2009, 12:08 AM

Bingo.

Ricketts has had a lackluster couple of games, but he hasn't been as resoundingly terrible as some seem to think. Hasn't shown much flair offensively this season (yet), but still tracks back and does some great things defensively and in the neutral third of the pitch. He also has better vision and football IQ than any other winger we have.

I'm not willing to write him off. As the season progresses, he will no doubt mesh better with our new-look lineup. It has been two games so far.

Watching TFC games through twice, is great for getting perspective on the performances of individual players. Ricketts tracked back and broke up all sorts of play in Columbus, and in KC.

- Scott

bignickel
03-30-2009, 12:09 AM
hahaha.......I remember those threads from last year, how Robbo must go.........how bad he was.........that he is making too much money.......blah blah blah!!!

yeah, but don't forget there were the same threads for lombardo, welsh, robert, etc.

some of them are all too accurate to ignore!

Ossington Mental Youth
03-30-2009, 12:10 AM

yeah, really i should stop reading threads that are like that, i mean theres nothing gained from reading that same commentary without a reasonable criticism or analysis

blackandwhite
03-30-2009, 12:14 AM
yeah, really i should stop reading threads that are like that, i mean theres nothing gained from reading that same commentary without a reasonable criticism or analysis

you want criticism??? You know you are not playing well if the number of yourTFC TV videos is more than the number of successful crosses :)

Shakes McQueen
03-30-2009, 12:18 AM
yeah, but don't forget there were the same threads for lombardo, welsh, robert, etc.

some of them are all too accurate to ignore!

But in the case of Welsh, Lombardo, and Robert, the opinion was unanimous. The most dissent I ever heard, was for Robert - and even then it was just "he has talent, but he's too fucking lazy".

- Scott

blackandwhite
03-30-2009, 12:20 AM
But in the case of Welsh, Lombardo, and Robert, the opinion was unanimous. The most dissent I ever heard, was for Robert - and even then it was just "he has talent, but he's too fucking lazy".

- Scott

Welsh was unanimous??? too bad the old forums are not up... go talk to someone who was here during those threads.

bignickel
03-30-2009, 12:25 AM

- Scott

unanimous? on robert maybe, but welsh had somes fans.
and lombardo, man there were peole who thought this guy was the next vieri. i saw a hell of alot of lombardo jerseys the first year. there are many people here who stuck with him until he was cast aside.

Shakes McQueen
03-30-2009, 12:32 AM
unanimous? on robert maybe, but welsh had somes fans.
and lombardo, man there were peole who thought this guy was the next vieri. i saw a hell of alot of lombardo jerseys the first year. there are many people here who stuck with him until he was cast aside.

I don't recall any anecdotal instances of people being fans of Lombardo here, but I do remember the day it was reported he was let go, there was a several page long thread of people essentially saying "meh".

Same for Welsh, although my memory is a lot hazier on that one.

- Scott

blackandwhite
03-30-2009, 12:34 AM
I don't recall any anecdotal instances of people being fans of Lombardo here, but I do remember the day it was reported he was let go, there was a several page long thread of people essentially saying "meh".

- Scott

it happened before June 2008!! that's ok...next time just don't post like you know it if you don't! :)

Shakes McQueen
03-30-2009, 12:35 AM
it happened before June 2008!! that's ok...next time just don't post like you know it if you don't! :)

I came to this website long before June 2008. I just didn't bother to post. Just like I assume you've been here since before May 2008.

- Scott

blackandwhite
03-30-2009, 12:38 AM
I came to this website long before June 2008. I just didn't bother to post. Just like I assume you've been here since before May 2008.

- Scott

good assumption...you should know who I am if you have been here before June 2008 even if you haven't posted.

colman1860
03-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Ricketts hasn't been invisible - he's been extremely visible since he loses the ball every single time he has possession. There was a situation yesterday where he actually took it off DeRo. His passes were lackluster, his dribbling was slow and ineffective, and he couldn't tackle to save his life. Reminding me of Edu...a bit too focused on the off the field stuff.

bignickel
03-30-2009, 01:13 AM

- Scott

then your memory is short, basically alot of people kept saying that he is young and we should give him time, that he will have a breakout season.

much the same way you feel about ricketts and barrett, the whole young and promising dream.

give me a proven 35 year so we don't have to wait for these much anticipated breakout seasons.

edu for 5 million was tfc's best transaction to date!

Marco2K
03-30-2009, 01:49 AM
Ricketts has been WEAK. ANYONE who expcect more is crazy.

Perhaps Carver will give him his walking papers soon.

You heard it here first

Shakes McQueen
03-30-2009, 03:23 AM
then your memory is short, basically alot of people kept saying that he is young and we should give him time, that he will have a breakout season.

much the same way you feel about ricketts and barrett, the whole young and promising dream.

give me a proven 35 year so we don't have to wait for these much anticipated breakout seasons.

edu for 5 million was tfc's best transaction to date!

He was young, and he wasn't developing due to lack of playing time. But he also wanted to be a starter, so he needed to go. That's different than being a fan of him.

I really don't understand the hard on you have for trading Barrett and Ricketts. Ricketts has shown flashes of immense ability (such as his two braces, for those of you who focus only on goal production), and just needs to become more consistent on a weekly basis. Chad Barrett has great vision, a strong frame, a cannon of a leg, and just needs more confidence. He also scored 9 goals in MLS last season, which I believe put him top 10 in MLS for goals. His goals against the Revs at home, and Colorado on the road, stand out as particularly great displays of what he could do consistently, with some confidence.

When it comes to MLS players, you need to take the good with the bad. If they didn't have any downside, they would be in Europe by now. Or commanding $350-400K, and 36 years old, in MLS. We can't afford to sign a roster of players like that. Our pressing concerns as a team, aren't finding ANOTHER striker.

Trading Ricketts and Barrett for Blanco (since you're referring to the other thread) won't solve our problems, because it leaves us without a natural winger, save for Johann Smith, and with a still overflowing stable of potential strikers. He isn't a replacement for Ricketts. He's also probably gone at the end of the season, has yet to start a game this season, is potential poison for a dressing room, and will command a huge salary.

And that's even assuming Chicago would take the deal, which is really unlikely, as he is their franchise player.

I just don't get this stuff. Last year the popular TFC pariah was Robbo, despite his great quality. This year, it's become Barrett and Ricketts very early on. Both have good skills, that show themselves in ways aside from simply scoring goals. Barrett will eventually start to get his goals, and Ricketts will eventually start to make more of a contribution on the attack. It's been two games.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
03-30-2009, 04:02 AM
RR has been a lightweight since he got here, a few flashes here & there, nothing sustainable. No one should be surprised, that's the story of his career to date.

Seems like a decent guy, but never gonna be a star, even in mls

Was he ever touted as a star? Maybe the reason why I'm happy with the guy is because I'm not looking too deeply into his abilities and skill on the pitch. I'm rarely blown away by his game, but I think he positions himself well and supports the attack in his own way. Sure, he's a little inconsistent at times, but I'm confident we'll see a better performance as the season progresses.

bignickel
03-30-2009, 07:44 AM
He was young, and he wasn't developing due to lack of playing time. But he also wanted to be a starter, so he needed to go. That's different than being a fan of him.

I really don't understand the hard on you have for trading Barrett and Ricketts. Ricketts has shown flashes of immense ability (such as his two braces, for those of you who focus only on goal production), and just needs to become more consistent on a weekly basis. Chad Barrett has great vision, a strong frame, a cannon of a leg, and just needs more confidence. He also scored 9 goals in MLS last season, which I believe put him top 10 in MLS for goals. His goals against the Revs at home, and Colorado on the road, stand out as particularly great displays of what he could do consistently, with some confidence.

When it comes to MLS players, you need to take the good with the bad. If they didn't have any downside, they would be in Europe by now. Or commanding $350-400K, and 36 years old, in MLS. We can't afford to sign a roster of players like that. Our pressing concerns as a team, aren't finding ANOTHER striker.

Trading Ricketts and Barrett for Blanco (since you're referring to the other thread) won't solve our problems, because it leaves us without a natural winger, save for Johann Smith, and with a still overflowing stable of potential strikers. He isn't a replacement for Ricketts. He's also probably gone at the end of the season, has yet to start a game this season, is potential poison for a dressing room, and will command a huge salary.

And that's even assuming Chicago would take the deal, which is really unlikely, as he is their franchise player.

I just don't get this stuff. Last year the popular TFC pariah was Robbo, despite his great quality. This year, it's become Barrett and Ricketts very early on. Both have good skills, that show themselves in ways aside from simply scoring goals. Barrett will eventually start to get his goals, and Ricketts will eventually start to make more of a contribution on the attack. It's been two games.

- Scott

listen, no hard on here. i am not questioning ricketts talent, i am questioning his fitness level. he has a hard time running back and keeping up with the play. i mean de rosario is covering alot more defensively and plays deeper.

as for the 2 braces if you want to bring up goal production, those were the only 4 goals he had all year, nuff said on that one.

as for the blanco trade, if you read my earlier post in this thread i kind of take back the suggestion. it would be a bad deal for chicago.

bhoybobby
03-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Was he ever touted as a star? Maybe the reason why I'm happy with the guy is because I'm not looking too deeply into his abilities and skill on the pitch. I'm rarely blown away by his game, but I think he positions himself well and supports the attack in his own way. Sure, he's a little inconsistent at times, but I'm confident we'll see a better performance as the season progresses.

Mo served him up as a speed merchant who would do very well in mls. He's not a a bad lad, just very, very inconsustent, always want to cut inside, should be getting wide & delivering from there. Steps on ball, almost falling over all the time. Giives up possesion very cheaply.

Last year the excuse was missed training camp. This year??? Not a starter, overpaid, under delivers, can't see improvement, hope I'm wrong.

Vitti looks like he knows how to play & has a bit of pedigree, RR not so much. Just my 2 cents

Yohan
03-30-2009, 08:12 AM
as for the 2 braces if you want to bring up goal production, those were the only 4 goals he had all year, nuff said on that one.

didn't Ricketts have a couple for Canada Cup games?

blackandwhite
03-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Hey Shakes... I didn't know you were "connected". I will know better to correct you next time... I don't wanna get banned again for touching a "connected" guy.

Pachuco
03-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Here is my opinion, not that anyone cares ;)

I think with Ricketts what you see is what you get. It's hard to argue that he is going to get better then last year (his inconsistent performances prove it). He will have 2 or 3 games where he shines and some awefull games as well. So hopefully he's got his 2 god awefull games out of him. At the end of the day though, he's the best option in that position. So unless we acquire a new winger, that is what we are going to get.

Barrett on the other hand, he needs to be benched right now. NOT TRADED. Benched. He needs to understand that we have other strikers (Dichio, Vitti, Ibby). Therefore, if he doesn't produce, he doens't play. Next game, Vitty and Dichio get the start IMO.

trane
03-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Ricketts can be as good a winger as you will get in this league. He has games off not doubt, but there is no reason to get rid of him. When he is on his game he is a great asset for the team, he won at least one game for us last year, and in some his defensive work kept us in it. His first two games have not been great but I would not get rid of him.

I like Roogsy have to wonder if people understand the different roles, players have. I am not sure that people expect from a winger.

His crossing does have to be more consistent. No doubt.

MUFC_Niagara
03-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Ricketts can be as good a winger as you will get in this league. He has games off not doubt, but there is no reason to get rid of him. When he is on his game he is a great asset for the team, he won at least one game for us last year, and in some his defensive work kept us in it. His first two games have not been great but I would not get rid of him.

I like Roogsy have to wonder if people understand the different roles, players have. I am not sure that people expect from a winger.

His crossing does have to be more consistent. No doubt.

This is by far the most educated comment here. Still baffles me, 2 games, undefeated, and in a game where there were multiple poor preformances. Yet......we still have our first player bitch and complain thread.

Nuvinho
03-30-2009, 09:49 AM
^^ I agree.

Marco2K
03-30-2009, 09:51 AM
How can anyone say he can be one of the best wingers in this league.

HE HAS HAD 2 GOOD GAMES. THE REST HAVE BEEN TERRIBLE.

He loves this city cause their aint another city where he will get so much love.

graeme117
03-30-2009, 09:59 AM
One thing I must say that really bugs me about Ricketts ... is that he doesn't know how to really wrap his foot around a ball. His crosses and shots are so toothless.

He basically always just floats crosses into the area.

i agree, his crossing in the first two games has needed a bit more sting

but i also think his crossing has improved a little from last year though, even when he floats it, its starting to find the right places (far post where Dero should, when our midfield is full, be screaming in). i also wonder if training on plastic then playing on grass might have something to do with it. you have to make extra effort to get under the ball on plastic... so it would make sense that when you play on grass you have to change the way you strike the ball, or else you'll lose power and sky it.

i guess all i'm saying is, i'm hoping that playing back at bmo will help his game somewhat.

Canadian Blue
03-30-2009, 01:41 PM

Or your blinders need to come off........

rocker
03-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Or your blinders need to come off........

ya, people need to take the blinders off and see MLS more generally.... it's a league where players have faults and don't play great every game.

Shaughno
03-30-2009, 01:54 PM

I agree for the most part, but these two games this season his quality on the ball was not up to par IMO.

Quoted again for truth. It's not Ricketts' overall performance that I was not happy with, it's when he's actually been on the ball that he hasn't been cutting it in the past two games. As always, he works hard defensively and his presence alone draws defenders creating space for others.

That said, he needs to up his game IMO. He seems to have let the media stuff go to his head.

Hitcho
03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Wait until we've played the next two games at home. RR is basically an attacking player and in this season's line up, playing at home in front of our own fans with the team taking more possession and going forward a lot more, I think we'll see a much better side of RR. Playing away from home is much harder to shine for players like RR. He also strikes me a confidence player, get him on a good run when we have all those home games coming up and he could win a few matches for us.

That said, if his level doesn't go up then I think he needs to take a pay cut if he stays, because overall his performances since he signed have not matched the relative chunk of the salary cap that he takes up.

trane
03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Quoted again for truth. It's not Ricketts' overall performance that I was not happy with, it's when he's actually been on the ball that he hasn't been cutting it in the past two games. As always, he works hard defensively and his presence alone draws defenders creating space for others.

That said, he needs to up his game IMO. He seems to have let the media stuff go to his head.

Agreed.

rocker
03-30-2009, 02:25 PM
He seems to have let the media stuff go to his head.

how would you know that? can you read his mind? ;)

here's a thought: maybe "what you see is what you get" from Ricketts. I hear people always say that players should "step up their game" or that "distractions are making them play worse" when it's entirely possible this is just the way they are.

He was inconsistent in England without the "media stuff" distracting him.
He's an inconsistent player, and that's why he's in MLS and not playing with Arsenal.

If people expect Rohan to play consistently, they miss the point of his whole career.
But I liked what he brought last season.. he scored 4 goals in league play (more than he did in his career) and won us some games.

TorontoBlades
03-30-2009, 02:28 PM

Of course! I don't disagree here, but even when his game his off, his presence opens space for more players. His game will be back, and when it does, watch out. It'll make life easier for all 11 players on the pitch

Shakes McQueen
03-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Hey Shakes... I didn't know you were "connected". I will know better to correct you next time... I don't wanna get banned again for touching a "connected" guy.

What was said in this thread, that suddenly made you conclude that I'm a "connected" guy? (Whatever that means).

I said I didn't recall any instances of Lombardo or Welshy fanboyism - which is a far cry from declaring unequivocally that it didn't happen. I don't understand why you're getting adversarial with me about this.

- Scott

bhoybobby
03-30-2009, 04:20 PM
how would you know that? can you read his mind? ;)

here's a thought: maybe "what you see is what you get" from Ricketts. I hear people always say that players should "step up their game" or that "distractions are making them play worse" when it's entirely possible this is just the way they are.

He was inconsistent in England without the "media stuff" distracting him.
He's an inconsistent player, and that's why he's in MLS and not playing with Arsenal.

If people expect Rohan to play consistently, they miss the point of his whole career.
But I liked what he brought last season.. he scored 4 goals in league play (more than he did in his career) and won us some games.

I'll bet JC want's him to play with consistency in his game as in good as opposed to indifferent. He he was an asshole, he'd be gone, the fact that he's a decent bloke has bought him some leeway.

I hope he works out o.k but I don't see it.

Dozitwin
03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Ricketts hasn't been invisible - he's been extremely visible since he loses the ball every single time he has possession. There was a situation yesterday where he actually took it off DeRo. His passes were lackluster, his dribbling was slow and ineffective, and he couldn't tackle to save his life. Reminding me of Edu...a bit too focused on the off the field stuff.

Overstatement of the year!!!

Dozitwin
03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
listen, no hard on here. i am not questioning ricketts talent, i am questioning his fitness level. he has a hard time running back and keeping up with the play. i mean de rosario is covering alot more defensively and plays deeper.

as for the blanco trade, if you read my earlier post in this thread i kind of take back the suggestion. it would be a bad deal for chicago.

That's the same number of goals as Guevara had last year and only 1 less then Dichio. Actually while wearing a TFC shirt I don't believe anyone scored more than 5 last years. Basically I'm saying that we shouldn't be using goal production as a criteria for 'quality' for any member of the team...nuff said?

Shakes McQueen
03-30-2009, 05:13 PM
That's the same number of goals as Guevara had last year and only 1 less then Dichio. Actually while wearing a TFC shirt I don't believe anyone scored more than 5 last years. Basically I'm saying that we shouldn't be using goal production as a criteria for 'quality' for any member of the team...nuff said?

Yep, Dichio was TFC's top scorer with 5 goals. Barrett had more for the season, but only 4 for Toronto. And yes, goal production is a terrible judge of talent - which is why I think a lot of the criticisms of Barrett are misguided.

It's clear that Barrett and Ricketts are having some trouble finding their form, but we are only two games in. Barrett started to look better last season, once he got settled in. I am convinced we will see better from him.

I also have a hunch that Ricketts will start to mesh a lot better on the attack, once he gets settled in his role with our new faces (DeRo, Pablo, Cronin).

And as long as the favourable results keep coming, I'm satisfied. No need for torches and pitchforks yet. :D

- Scott

trane
03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
The thing about Barret , is not his lack of goals, I do not expect him to score 30, he will score, and I do not think he had a bad first game, it just dawned on me in the second game, when Dichio came in, how the attack came together, how Dichio was able to hold the ball, distripuated, and put it into open space for the other players and many other little things he did. I do not think that Barret sucks, by any strech, and I think he will do well this season, it is just that he seems to need to learn alot about playing.

Shakes McQueen
03-30-2009, 06:28 PM
The thing about Barret , is not his lack of goals, I do not expect him to score 30, he will score, and I do not think he had a bad first game, it just dawned on me in the second game, when Dichio came in, how the attack came together, how Dichio was able to hold the ball, distripuated, and put it into open space for the other players and many other little things he did. I do not think that Barret sucks, by any strech, and I think he will do well this season, it is just that he seems to need to learn alot about playing.

Dichio has a lot more wisdom and experience on the pitch, I can't dispute that. Barrett is still learning.

Plus, does anyone remember the awful shape Barrett was in, when he first came to us? It doesn't even look like he's been on a proper fitness regiment for most of his MLS career.

Colin Samuel must be Chicago's fitness Coach, if Barrett and Blanco were/are any indication. :D

- Scott

trane
03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
^ I love Barretts work rate, and willigness to shot, and runs into the box, if his mind catches up to his effort he could trully be the "rooney of the MLS". I hope that he does it.

jabbronies
03-30-2009, 06:39 PM

Agreed, it seemed like everytime he got the ball, he lost it or passed it away almost instantly. He got school a couple of times on D as well. Mind you he was up against Sqweefloto, hard to defend against him.

bignickel
03-30-2009, 07:48 PM

thank you for supporting my point. someone pointed out that ricketts had 2 braces and i merely discounted that as a measure of his production.

but now that you brought it up yes, someone did score more than 5 goals in a season while wearing a tfc shirt, and his name was danny dichio, way back in 2007, nuff said?????

Shakes McQueen
03-30-2009, 07:54 PM
thank you for supporting my point. someone pointed out that ricketts had 2 braces and i merely discounted that as a measure of his production.

but now that you brought it up yes, someone did score more than 5 goals in a season while wearing a tfc shirt, and his name was danny dichio, way back in 2007, nuff said?????

I was in agreement that goals are a poor indication of play - as I said in my post "for those who only care about goal production".

Someone else scored more than five goals in a season too (albeit not all for TFC), and his name was Chad Barrett, way back in 2008.

- Scott

bignickel
03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
I was in agreement that goals are a poor indication of play - as I said in my post "for those who only care about goal production".

Someone else scored more than five goals in a season too (albeit not all for TFC), and his name was Chad Barrett, way back in 2008.

- Scott

thats why i didn't mention barrett, because i actually read the post which clearly stated 'in a tfc jersey' way back 3 hours ago!

Get In There
03-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I here what you guys are saying about Barrett but...

That miss in KC was monumentally bad.

I'm getting old but I think the kids would call it ...an epic miss

Still pulling for both of them but I expect only one to hit

B

sully
03-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Ricketts is a good player in this league. The thing with him is that he excels when the team is attacking and taking the play to the opponents. But when we're under pressure he chases around and isn't effective then..what I would do is play him more strategically..in games against weaker teams he is often really good..and can take advantage of opponents...but he's just not a player that can adapt to a defensive environment very well..

Shakes McQueen
03-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I here what you guys are saying about Barrett but...

That miss in KC was monumentally bad.

I'm getting old but I think the kids would call it ...an epic miss

Still pulling for both of them but I expect only one to hit

B

It was an awful, horrible miss, and I screamed more than a few expletives when he did it. I don't think anyone would argue it was a good shot, haha. :D

- Scott

David
03-30-2009, 08:36 PM
This is why athletes hate playing for Toronto. We have a way of calling for the heads of players/coaches after a bad game or two. It's really fucking stupid.

bignickel
03-30-2009, 08:40 PM
This is why athletes hate playing for Toronto. We have a way of calling for the heads of players/coaches after a bad game or two. It's really fucking stupid.

this is nothing, talk to david beckham after taking the red in the world cup.

there is not a place on earth that won't call pro athletes out!