PDA

View Full Version : New Formation For Home Opener

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-29-2009, 02:52 PM
wow all i can say about columbus is that we were lucky , CHANGES NEEDED

First off Barett Better be riding the bench , and so might Rickets...Sutton in net , and maybe a DeRo, Vitti Up front as they both worked very hard in columbus , however De Ro needs to get over the ball a lot more...
4-3-2-1
-----------Sutton-----------
Wynne-Velez-Serioux-Brennan
---Smith-Robinson-Cronin----
------DeRo------Guevara----
----------Vitti--------------

-DeRo and guevara attacking mid.
or
4-4-2

Smith-Robinson-Cronin-Guevara
----De Rosario---Vitti---------

No Barrett or Ricketts

Subs
Danny D Could come in to Exploit crosses
Ibee For Vitti 70th min ; Vitti Will get
tired from all that work and not being 100%

Yohan
03-29-2009, 03:02 PM
guevara on left wing? out to lunch

Nuvinho
03-29-2009, 03:08 PM
With the lack of experienced wingers, Ricketts will be playing. I am thinking the same lineup as week 1, but replace Vitti with Barrett and Sutton in for Frei.

--------------------------Sutton-------------------------------

Wynne-----------Serioux-------------Harmse--------Brennan----

-------------------------Robbo---------------------------------

Cronin------------------Guevara----------------------Ricketts--

-------------------------DeRo---------------------------------

-------------------------Vitti---------------------------------

ensco
03-29-2009, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't count on Guevara

Robbo came on in the 65th minute yesterday, if he doesn't go 90 against Germany on Wednesday (which is unlikely), then I bet he'll go Saturday.

Guevara plays big minutes for Honduras. I couldn't find it but I'd wager he went 90 yesterday, and will do that again on Wednesday.

So even if he makes it back (no sure thing), he won't have much in the tank, and will likely only be a late sub at best.

Nuvinho
03-29-2009, 03:35 PM
^^ He did play 90 minutes last game.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/round=252675/match=300073735/index.html

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-29-2009, 03:36 PM
wow all i can say about columbus is that we were lucky , CHANGES NEEDED

First off Barett Better be riding the bench , and so might Rickets...Sutton in net , and maybe a DeRo, Vitti Up front as they both worked very hard in columbus , however De Ro needs to get over the ball a lot more...
4-3-2-1
---Smith-Robinson-Cronin----
------DeRo------Guevara----
----------Vitti--------------

-DeRo and guevara attacking mid.
or
4-4-2

Smith-Robinson-Cronin-Guevara
----De Rosario---Vitti---------

No Barrett or Ricketts

Subs
Danny D Could come in to Exploit crosses
Ibee For Vitti 70th min ; Vitti Will get
tired from all that work and not being 100%

the first lineup better just put Frei in, instead of Sutton...if healthy,
Frei has won the No1 job on merit and until he loses it saty with him.

ensco
03-29-2009, 03:39 PM
^^ He did play 90 minutes last game.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/round=252675/match=300073735/index.html

I have bookmarked that. Has the results of every WCQ game in the world. Very nice. Thanks

Keegan
03-29-2009, 03:44 PM
the first lineup better just put Frei in, instead of Sutton...if healthy,
Frei has won the No1 job on merit and until he loses it saty with him.

Frei has won the #1 job? I don't think so. Sutton is TFC's best keeper, he was awesome last year sure he let in a couple softies but he was statistically one of the better keepers in MLS and kept us in a ton of games.

loconet
03-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Speaking of Frei, anyone got any news on his back? Is it serious? How long will he be out for.

I would still stick with Barrett up front. IMO, it's confidence issues. Benching him this early won't help much.

I really hate playing with only 1 striker up front. Carver likes his 4-4-2 so it's probably going to be that again.

Guevara might be a question mark given the 90 min games he would have played before Sat.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Frei has won the #1 job? I don't think so. Sutton is TFC's best keeper, he was awesome last year sure he let in a couple softies but he was statistically one of the better keepers in MLS and kept us in a ton of games.

after seen Frei play i doubt that Sutton is the best...but its nice TFC can worry about having 2-3 top keepers.

Batman
03-29-2009, 05:29 PM
after seen Frei play i doubt that Sutton is the best...but its nice TFC can worry about having 2-3 top keepers.

Frei seems like a solid keeper, quick reflexes and all round really impressive so far.
That said, for now, I thinkSutton is number 1 and Frei is right behind. It feels good to have 2 keepers of this quality.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Ricketts and Barrett will be playing because they are two of our best players and just because they arent destroying the field in the last two games doesnt validate benching them all of a sudden

jloome
03-29-2009, 09:19 PM
-----------Sutton/Frei--------------
Wynne---Velez---Serioux---Brennan
--------------Robbo------------
-------Cronin------Guevara---------
----DeRo----------------Vitti-------
--------------Dichio-----------------

Takes advantage of Seattle's defensive weakness on the flanks via DEro and vitti, but also clogs up the middle and allows us to assign Robbo as full-field man-marker for Montero.

jloome
03-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Ricketts and Barrett will be playing because they are two of our best players and just because they arent destroying the field in the last two games doesnt validate benching them all of a sudden

I'm a barrett fan, even when he's misfiring, because he creates chances. But we need a different tactical approach against Seattle to target their fullbacks. Wide forwards, with a target man in the middle, could accomplish that.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm a barrett fan, even when he's misfiring, because he creates chances. But we need a different tactical approach against Seattle to target their fullbacks. Wide forwards, with a target man in the middle, could accomplish that.

DeRo is mis firing as well..the penalty miss that went up into the heavens,
and in columbus he sent another rocket up more often then NASA,Lets hope he realizes soon the net will not rise !!

trane
03-30-2009, 09:17 AM

----------Robbo----------- Guevara-----------Cronin---------------

------------------ Vitti----------------DeRo-----------------------

-----------------------------Dichio--------------------------------

I think you need to play Cronin, he has shown extremley well so far. Barret is not so much that I do not want to see him play, I just think that playing at the point is not his thing. I would like to see Dichio press Marshall, creating space for Vitti and Dero to run into, while being fed passess by Guevara. Barret and Rickets can come in when Seatle starts getting tiered.

poppamidnight
03-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Well I called last week's exactly,
Best thing to do... don't got by YOUR thinking, go by what Carver's has/hasn't done as of late....

I'm gunna hold off predicting the lineup and keeping my streak alive until Thursday,
as I have a feeling Mo's currently searching for something....

Does anyone know if anybody's in on trial this week?

----------Robbo----------- Guevara-----------Cronin---------------

------------------ Vitti----------------DeRo-----------------------

-----------------------------Dichio--------------------------------

But I'll just point out some cracks in this:
Dichio slowed down pretty dang fast last game... Around the 87th he looked dog-tired...
I highly doubt he'll have the legs for a full game....

And Harmse... I'm thinking this might have finally been the last straw
Not sure if they caught in on TV, but i counted Three different times in the first half ALONE where other TFC players bitched out Harmse on the pitch....
...Jimmy B was the craziest... I thought he was gunna go up an bitch slap Harmse he was soo pissed off

You gotta think if the Captain gets that pissed off at the guy, he'll have a chat w/ JC about it

Oldtimer
03-30-2009, 10:04 AM
With the lack of experienced wingers, Ricketts will be playing. I am thinking the same lineup as week 1, but replace Vitti with Barrett and Sutton in for Frei.

What I see, too, although Carver could replace Harmse with Velez :eek:.

I wish we had that good CB that's rumoured to be on his way...

Pookie
03-30-2009, 10:19 AM

I guess it all depends on why Carver thinks that Barrett isn't "destroying the field."

If it is effort, he might just give the nod to a guy like Ibrahim in a game against an expansion club at home.

I'm not taking Seattle lightly, they are off to a great start. However, if you were going to give Ibrahim some experience AND needed to send a message to Barrett, this might be the game to do it.

Of course, that is all dependent on whether Ibrahim has been giving effort in practice equal to or better than Barrett.

MUFC_Niagara
03-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Frei may be hurt.....he landed hard on that hip.

-------------------Frei/Sutton-------------------

Wynne--------Serioux-------Velez--------Brennan
-------------------------------------------------
---------------------Robinson-------------------
Ricketts------------------------------------DeRo
---------------------Guevara-------------------
------------------------------------------------
--------------Vitti-------------Barrett-----------

This is by far our best first 11

trane
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
^ The only thing about that formation, is that I would like to see DeRo in a more central position.

I am also not sure that our CB will be able to hold Montero off without extra help, that is why I would like to see both Cronin and Robbo play.

Your fomation is the classic, Diamond, played by the 1990's AC Milan. So I have to give it respect.

EGP
03-30-2009, 11:46 AM

whoever you are...i completely agree. this is a winning line up, and the only one that makes any sense.

poppamidnight
03-30-2009, 01:18 PM
whoever you are...i completely agree. this is a winning line up, and the only one that makes any sense.

Guys give up already...

It really doesn't matter what we think makes sense, cuz Carver goes by what he thinks makes sense (often completely different from the rest of us)

Somebody start a "all signs point to" list like I did last week
taking into account carver's tendencies, along w/ the returning players + developments (e.g. Johann getting playing time) from last week....

That's what I did last week... 8 reasons why Carver would go w/ a certain lineup (and he did end up going with the lineup I called)
Which I (and many others) didn't like,
but none the less was the MOST PROBABLE going by what Carver likes to do...

Really, these threads are starting to get pointless.
People start putting out these desired lineups
It doesn't matter what we desire,
It's what Carver likes

Don't mean to sound negative, but that's the truth
It's the dictatorship known as footy!

Technorgasm
03-30-2009, 01:35 PM

-------------------------Barrett---------------------------------

I wish we could keep Wynne and Rohan as wing partners.
but Cronin is young, and I doubt has much to offer as far as a left foot.

I also want to se more of Vitti, seeing as he has a phat paycheck and needs playing time with the boys to improve.

But I still think Chad needs a goal, and he seems to be in GREAT conditioning right now.

ACSertL
03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
-----------Sutton/Frei--------------
Wynne---Velez---Serioux---Brennan
--------------Robbo------------
-------Cronin------Guevara---------
----DeRo----------------Vitti-------
--------------Dichio-----------------

Takes advantage of Seattle's defensive weakness on the flanks via DEro and vitti, but also clogs up the middle and allows us to assign Robbo as full-field man-marker for Montero.

I really like this set-up, although Carver seems married to the 4-4-2.

scooter
03-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Frei may be hurt.....he landed hard on that hip.

Wynne--------Serioux-------Velez--------Brennan
-------------------------------------------------
---------------------Robinson-------------------
Ricketts------------------------------------DeRo
---------------------Guevara-------------------
------------------------------------------------

This is by far our best first 11

tim i think you are right on the money but maybe cronin for guevara who may not be back in time or even in shape to play

Damien
03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
If Guevara doesn't return for whatever reason...

Wynne--------Serioux-------Harmse--------Brennan
Cronin------Ricketts------Robinson----------DeRo

Shaughno
03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Why would Ricketts be on the inside and Cronin on the outside? Both of their natural positions are reversed....

MUFC_Niagara
03-30-2009, 02:53 PM
^ The only thing about that formation, is that I would like to see DeRo in a more central position.

I am also not sure that our CB will be able to hold Montero off without extra help, that is why I would like to see both Cronin and Robbo play.

Your fomation is the classic, Diamond, played by the 1990's AC Milan. So I have to give it respect.

Ya both you and scooter are right....Cronin might have to step in 1) for the added holding role and 2) Guevara may be too tired after his midweek WCQ