PDA

View Full Version : im the so called scalper

auncivilized
03-29-2009, 01:46 PM
in response to ilikemusic's thread (scalper info)
i have 4 season tickets in total this season my partner no longer wants the other pair so im stuck with 2 extras there only so many free tickets i can afford to give to family and friends. im a die hard fan and have only missed one or two tfc games since they're existance
as for numbers:
face value of the pair is $75 i ask for 120 but people always round down to 100 so in fact im making $12.50 each ticket which after all the fees i pay for craigslist, kijiji, and sometimes paypal, plus my trouble and other times gas to meet up with people in the end im very lucky to break even
as for ilikemusic posting my personal information without my consent, i believe is not completely legal but i will inform myself
hope this clears things up

Redpunkfiddle
03-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Why don't you just rely on the ticket trader here? Are you not getting responses? Can't you use Account Manager to forward them?

Dunno.. that's how I sold tickets.

Oblio2
03-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Posting on Craigslist and Kijiji is free

Canadian Blue
03-29-2009, 02:02 PM
i have 4 season tickets in total this season my partner no longer wants the other pair so im stuck with 2 extras there only so many free tickets i can afford to give to family and friends. im a die hard fan and have only missed one or two tfc games since they're existance
as for numbers:
face value of the pair is $75 i ask for 120 but people always round down to 100 so in fact im making $12.50 each ticket which after all the fees i pay for craigslist, kijiji, and sometimes paypal, plus my trouble and other times gas to meet up with people in the end im very lucky to break even
as for ilikemusic posting my personal information without my consent, i believe is not completely legal but i will inform myself
if any of you fellow members know him please get him to contact me at auncivilized@hotmail.com

There your tickets, do with them what you please but I am sure some holier than thou people on this site will blast you for it.....

Pachuco
03-29-2009, 02:04 PM
You are asking $120, not $100. Please don't try and convince me that if you got an offer for $120 that you wouldn't take it. Actually the fact that you are asking more then you expect to get tells me you are scalping right there.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Just put the two seats up for sale at cose..that way you dont lose and some real fans can get in?

auncivilized
03-29-2009, 02:07 PM
no actually the fact is that im trying to break even scalping would require making a profit

renda-10
03-29-2009, 02:07 PM
i look for tickets all the time

Pachuco
03-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Oh, and I don't really care if you are trying to make a little money on your own tickets. It's just your excuse is rather poor. Just man up and that's it.

My beef with scalpers are those who don't attend games and own an entire row of tickets. Their sole purpose is to make a living off selling tickets. As far as I'm concerned it doens't look like that's what you are trying to do.

auncivilized
if anyone here is interested in my seats for cost and i dont have to leave my home im more than willing to give them for cost

Nuvinho
account manager ticketexchange is the worse for selling tickets, they don't give you full value......I think its 60 to 70% of the value.

mike_bouma
03-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Craigslist. Zero Dollars.
Kijiji. Zero Dollars.
EMT's. Zero Dollars.

Selling your tickets for at $45 profit. Priceless.

auncivilized
03-29-2009, 02:11 PM
i pay the craigs list and kijiji fees so my post can stay at the top and highlighted so i dont have to spend everyday on the comp like i said i have no gotten 120 for the pair yet

Sab0tage
03-29-2009, 02:13 PM
You're still asking more then face value for the tickets.

yellowfellow
03-29-2009, 02:14 PM
selling tickets above face value is not legal. period.

Bender
03-29-2009, 02:15 PM
use the rpb ticket trader, there are plenty of us trying to get our hands on tickets

Red CB Toronto
03-29-2009, 02:22 PM
If you are a season ticket holder, you can email the tickets to the buyer after they send you payment via EMT, that is a good solution for not having to leave your house to complete the deal.

dcdcdc
03-29-2009, 02:24 PM
posting on kijiji is not always free. It can be free but if you don't want your add to go to page 100 within a day or add logos and stuff, you have to pay

I myself sell some tickets, at face value mind you, but sometimes it takes 24 hours of work to get them sold and meet up with people. And then all the people that stiff you in the end on ticket trader and cancel.. I don't think this guy is charging excessively.

Kickit09
03-29-2009, 02:28 PM
i've sold tickets here on the ticket trader forum (for face value) and they were sold within MINUTES, and the people came to meet me within minutes of my house. so there's really no need to mark up ticket prices to pay for fees and gas. scalping is scalping.

Erkan16
03-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Why don't you just rely on the ticket trader here? Are you not getting responses? Can't you use Account Manager to forward them?

Dunno.. that's how I sold tickets.

i check ticket trader/account manager every day but i dont see anything for sale. am i the only one????

GBV
03-29-2009, 02:31 PM

nor is drinking beer in parking lots prior to games. yet we do.

np: Metallica -- Holier Than Thou

rickithebear
03-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Craigslist. Zero Dollars.
Kijiji. Zero Dollars.
EMT's. Zero Dollars.

Selling your tickets for at $45 profit. Priceless.

I am a TFC fan from Hanna,AB who has followed TFC from the first anounced day. Have been following the blogs from the genisis of TFC blog spot to GoTorontoTFC.

Red patch is now one of my first Two stops, The other is Lowetide a respected Oilers blog site

I pay 200 a ticket to take my son to see the oilers. For Sports entertainment purposes.

I will be contacting the young man through his provided Email to acquire two tickets for next season if possible. Then pay for two airfairs so i can finally see my TFC live.

You charge the 45$ extra and sell to who you choose too. Do not feel shame for being enough of a supportive fan to purchase the tickets at the start.

I know I now have a chance to see the team.

DRock
03-29-2009, 04:21 PM
And i'm assuming that you're not going to renew those 2 extra tickets next year, and let someone on the waiting list on, right? Because if you renewed that would be scalping, although i'm pretty sure this is scalping anyway.

renda-10
03-29-2009, 04:27 PM
i die all the time to find tickets and most of the time i have no choice but to buy for more than face just to go to a game. Free up these tickets to supporters that want them.

Canadian Blue
03-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Just put the two seats up for sale at cose..that way you dont lose and some real fans can get in?

I am against scalping but that does not seem like what this guy is doing. Scalping in my opinion is when you have 10+ tickets to a game and you have no intention of ever attending thus offering them for sale for a hefty profit.

But the above quote statement drive me nuts.......wouldn't a "real" fan be willing to pay a minimal mark up to see their beloved TFC?

Anyway, give the guy a break, at least he had the balls to come on here identify himself and provide his email address......class move in my opinion

Canadian Blue
03-29-2009, 06:00 PM
i die all the time to find tickets and most of the time i have no choice but to buy for more than face just to go to a game. Free up these tickets to supporters that want them.

he already said he would sell for face value if he can email them and doesn't have to leave his house......if that is not an option just meet up on game day..

GBV
03-29-2009, 06:43 PM
I am against scalping but that does not seem like what this guy is doing. Scalping in my opinion is when you have 10+ tickets to a game and you have no intention of ever attending thus offering them for sale for a hefty profit.

But the above quote statement drive me nuts.......wouldn't a "real" fan be willing to pay a minimal mark up to see their beloved TFC?

Anyway, give the guy a break, at least he had the balls to come on here identify himself and provide his email address......class move in my opinion

yep. everyone's a judger.

Rocco
03-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Please review http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=7

RedsYNWA
03-29-2009, 07:19 PM
I always get extra tix from my work and if I can't find any friends to go i sell at face value plus a couple bucks or a beer.......Yet on more than one occasion I got stiffed by people from this board claiming they got one free etc. stiffing me right before the game NICE

Wagner
03-29-2009, 07:23 PM
facevalue and what you paid are two different things as well.

TorontoBlades
03-29-2009, 08:34 PM
as for numbers:
if any of you fellow members know him please get him to contact me at auncivilized@hotmail.com

Dude, sell them for whatever someone is willing to pay for them. You might as well avoid all that hassle you seem to be going through and just give them to a friend or someone that all you know will have a good time, and you'll probably feel a little better about yourself for doing it. That way you wont have to worry about people saying things that you appear to be ashamed of.

rickithebear
03-29-2009, 08:42 PM
And i'm assuming that you're not going to renew those 2 extra tickets next year, and let someone on the waiting list on, right? Because if you renewed that would be scalping, although i'm pretty sure this is scalping anyway.

If he uses four tickets to any of the games he should feel no guilt holding on to all four.

How much did MLSE make this year. Do you think it would cost a tonne to wrap the upper tear around the supporters section to the south east entrance.

I hear the economy is slow out there. I suspect the construction bids would be low. More tickets for fans.

LUFC
03-29-2009, 08:47 PM
use the rpb ticket trader, there are plenty of us trying to get our hands on tickets

is the rpb ticket trader on here?

Oblio2
03-29-2009, 09:25 PM
I am a TFC fan from Hanna,AB who has followed TFC from the first anounced day. Have been following the blogs from the genisis of TFC blog spot to GoTorontoTFC.

Red patch is now one of my first Two stops, The other is Lowetide a respected Oilers blog site

I pay 200 a ticket to take my son to see the oilers. For Sports entertainment purposes.

I will be contacting the young man through his provided Email to acquire two tickets for next season if possible. Then pay for two airfairs so i can finally see my TFC live.

You charge the 45$ extra and sell to who you choose too. Do not feel shame for being enough of a supportive fan to purchase the tickets at the start.

I know I now have a chance to see the team.

Contact me next season, I have 2 extra season tickets that I am selling on a game by game basis for the price on the ticket.

s2cazz
03-29-2009, 09:35 PM
then how do companies like ticketsnow or eventickets.com operate? they I believe (not 100% about it) are owned by ticketmaster

Canadian Blue
03-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Please review http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=7

Rocco, what is your point? The guy was posting on another website (Craiglist and Kijiji) but someone on this site thought it was a good idea to bring his post to this site and call him out on it. The guy is following the rules he was posting for a profit on other sites......totally his perogative

Mark in Ottawa
03-30-2009, 06:57 AM
then how do companies like ticketsnow or eventickets.com operate? they I believe (not 100% about it) are owned by ticketmaster
And this is why the whole lot of them are under investigation in various jurisdictions.

Ontario Ticket Speculation Act
http://www.canadalegal.com/gosite.asp?s=1892

is pretty clear. If you are not a recognized ticket agent of the owner or promoter of a show you may not re-sell tickets above their face value.
Rcognized agents may only sell with surcharges as described in the legislation.

O yeah... and it is not only against the law to re-sell the tickets...
it is against the law to purchase them as well.

Shakes McQueen
03-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Contact me next season, I have 2 extra season tickets that I am selling on a game by game basis for the price on the ticket.

I will be in touch as well. :D

- Scott

Pookie
03-30-2009, 08:11 AM
And this is why the whole lot of them are under investigation in various jurisdictions.

Ontario Ticket Speculation Act
http://www.canadalegal.com/gosite.asp?s=1892

is pretty clear. If you are not a recognized ticket agent of the owner or promoter of a show you may not re-sell tickets above their face value.
Rcognized agents may only sell with surcharges as described in the legislation.

O yeah... and it is not only against the law to re-sell the tickets...
it is against the law to purchase them as well.

... and playing poker for money in the privacy of one's home is illegal too, even if it is just $10 per game. As are not declaring the proceeds of garage sales on one's income taxes.

The issue here is whether or not anyone's business is hurt by the practice. Teams in general have looked the other way because scalping is good for business.

High ticket values mean that the team's tickets will be in demand. If he were offering them below cost it would devalue the tickets sold at the gate.

Let's also be clear that almost every major sports league has agreements with Stubhub to allow fans to re-sell tickets and for them to profit from the sale. The practice of re-selling at a profit (or at cost with high service charges) isn't exactly immoral.

I'm not condoning what the guy is doing but we don't live in a world of absolutes. It isn't harming TFC's demand for their initial tickets and if he is able to find a buyer who is willing to pay his price, that's capitalism.

Personally, I would encourage him to look into TFC Ticket Exchange program. There, he will make most of his cost back, enable fans to get to matches and remove the risks of meeting some stranger with a wad of cash.

It's an easy sell too, with virtually no effort required. You can be selling your tickets while relaxing at the cottage.

Mango Kid
03-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Some days, I think if given the choice of solving the global financial crisis or scalping were presented, there are plenty that would choose the latter.

pubboy
03-30-2009, 09:50 AM
facevalue and what you paid are two different things as well.

Exactly ! If the only thing that was important was not to be financially worse off, sell them through account manager. You paid season ticket rates - i.e. much less than face value. Not judging, just be honest mate - you're making a nice profit even if you charge 'face value'.

H Bomb
03-30-2009, 11:00 AM
hey, there are specific rules about scalping on this site. This dude has done it, so lets delete his account eh mods?

GabrielHurl
03-30-2009, 11:04 AM
hey, there are specific rules about scalping on this site. This dude has done it, so lets delete his account eh mods?

is he scalping them on this site?

JDG
03-30-2009, 11:12 AM

The rules are for this forum. I'm not going to punish anyone for what they do elsewhere.
He isn't a professional scalper, he's a fan who has extra seats. He's not charging outrageous prices - just prices that are unacceptible here.
What we condone as supporters, needs to be applied to supporters only. If his actions don't affect us, why do we need to judge him.
Focus the anger on the real scalpers, who control dozens of seats, charge double and triple face value, and would rather throw the ticket away than give it away for any less.

james
03-30-2009, 07:38 PM
ive sold tickets on ticket trader, i sold them what i paid for them. $13.50 each. I dont get why you cant sale them for what you paid. you seem to be making some money off them.

Rossiroo
03-30-2009, 08:52 PM
The rules are for this forum. I'm not going to punish anyone for what they do elsewhere.
He isn't a professional scalper, he's a fan who has extra seats. He's not charging outrageous prices - just prices that are unacceptible here.
What we condone as supporters, needs to be applied to supporters only. If his actions don't affect us, why do we need to judge him.
Focus the anger on the real scalpers, who control dozens of seats, charge double and triple face value, and would rather throw the ticket away than give it away for any less.

But by the same token what members do away from the board affects the image of the RPB's, I would be fine as long as those listings only show up at cost on the site plus this user not be allowed to register as a RPB member until overcharging stops. I've adhered to the cost listing rules as has everyone else, if he can't sell the tickets then release them next year... besides I'm doubtful that tickets can't be sold at cost on the board.

Fiin
03-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Selling a ticket for over face value is scalping.. much as yer not one of these ass's out front of the GO.. its scalping.. if you put whip cream and a strawberry on a lump of dogshit.. its still a lump of dog shit... yer tickets, yer choice man, but if yer gonna come here and justify it, to me it says you feel bad abotu something.

JDG
03-30-2009, 09:09 PM
But by the same token what members do away from the board affects the image of the RPB's, I would be fine as long as those listings only show up at cost on the site plus this user not be allowed to register as a RPB member until overcharging stops. I've adhered to the cost listing rules as has everyone else, if he can't sell the tickets then release them next year... besides I'm doubtful that tickets can't be sold at cost on the board.

He had people pull out this season. He hasn't found anybody to step up. It's not like he pumped his account to the maximum allowance only to sell them on Craigslist for 3-4 times face.
Why give them up when in a better economy, one of his friends or family might buy them from him.

I've bought and sold more tickets for and from RPBs than anyone. Never more than face value. Often below face value.
When selling, there are many times when I've forgotten to charge the fees that I paid to MLSE, and as a result, have lost money.
I stake my reputation on my ethics in how I conduct my business. I've even done business with you.
What I do away from this site has no reflecion on the Red Patch Boys in any way.
Auncivilized never intended for this to come to this forum, or for his identity to be revealed.
On Facebook, nobody had any reason to think he's RPB.
I helped set the rules for the way we conduct business, and I don't see him for doing anything wrong. He may be making a few bucks, but he's not making enough to suggest he could make a living off of it. A couple of BMO beers? Big deal - just don't do it here.

Rocco
03-30-2009, 09:32 PM
He had people pull out this season. He hasn't found anybody to step up. It's not like he pumped his account to the maximum allowance only to sell them on Craigslist for 3-4 times face.
Why give them up when in a better economy, one of his friends or family might buy them from him.

I've bought and sold more tickets for and from RPBs than anyone. Never more than face value. Often below face value.
When selling, there are many times when I've forgotten to charge the fees that I paid to MLSE, and as a result, have lost money.
I stake my reputation on my ethics in how I conduct my business. I've even done business with you.
What I do away from this site has no reflecion on the Red Patch Boys in any way.
Auncivilized never intended for this to come to this forum, or for his identity to be revealed.
I helped set the rules for the way we conduct business, and I don't see him for doing anything wrong. He may be making a few bucks, but he's not making enough to suggest he could make a living off of it. A couple of BMO beers? Big deal - just don't do it here.

that is very true. If everyone had the same set of principles conducting bussiness as this guy, the world sure would be a better place. I think the whole point here is that rules are rules and they must be followed regardless. Face value is the price on the ticket, and as long as fellow supporters are not abusing that rule, we all can go and watch the game together. After all, I think first and foremost our attendance in the stand is far more important than how we got our tickets.

bignickel
03-30-2009, 09:48 PM
ive sold tickets on ticket trader, i sold them what i paid for them. $13.50 each. I dont get why you cant sale them for what you paid. you seem to be making some money off them.

trick question: so if you buy a condo at $150,000 and it becomes legally assessed at $200,000. do you sell it for $150,000 if you have takers at the fair market price of $200,000?

Rossiroo
03-30-2009, 10:14 PM

He can do whatever he wants, my point is that on this board the rules are face plus fees + an optional beer, and that goes for whatever sob story they give.

Charging less isn't a problem, nor did I ever reference your business ethics relating to ticket purchases/sales. I too have offered countless tickets for face or below (I work abroad for most of the summer), and I offer them first to RPB's despite being able to get multiples of face if I sold elsewhere, it's something small I can help give back to the community.

I disagree with this point. Plus as I noted above, it only matters that the individual not be admitted as a RPB if they are not going to abide by the rules of the board, if other RPB's sold their tickets for higher than cost outside the board I personally wouldn't think that reflects well on RPB's.

I didn't reference this as I am unaware of the circumstances, if he is not a RPB then I'm not sure why whoever got involved with revealing identities.

We're agreed on this point, as long as it's not done here (and I would also stipulate not if they are a RPB member, it's bad form not to first offer it to your fellow RPB's).

Cheers,

Rossiroo
03-30-2009, 10:15 PM
that is very true. If everyone had the same set of principles conducting bussiness as this guy, the world sure would be a better place. I think the whole point here is that rules are rules and they must be followed regardless. Face value is the price on the ticket, and as long as fellow supporters are not abusing that rule, we all can go and watch the game together. After all, I think first and foremost our attendance in the stand is far more important than how we got our tickets.

Agreed, I should have read this prior to writing my post, would have saved the time :-)

905shmick
03-30-2009, 10:21 PM
... and playing poker for money in the privacy of one's home is illegal too, even if it is just $10 per game. As are not declaring the proceeds of garage sales on one's income taxes.

Actually, this is completely legal as long as there is no "house" officially taking bets or taking a rake ie: all bets are against the individuals playing the game and are completely paid out to those individuals.

DRock
03-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Give me a break, of course he's scalping them on this site, it was just pretty clever, give the price and his e-mail so people could get in contact with him, and say he's justifying it, but it's really a sales pitch!

JDG
03-31-2009, 08:54 AM
Give me a break, of course he's scalping them on this site, it was just pretty clever, give the price and his e-mail so people could get in contact with him, and say he's justifying it, but it's really a sales pitch!

Have you read the original post?

ilikemusic found the offer on facebook, and copied/pasted it into a new thread here ,while labeling him a scapler.
Auncivilized had NO IDEA that this thread existed until someone emailed him to tell him.

The rules for selling tickets on this forum are clear, and he has not broken them.
The definition of a scalper is less clear. There are shades of evil, and what auncivilized has done is so fucking minor. Get pissed at the real scalpers, and leave this guy alone.

nfitz
03-31-2009, 10:14 AM
I'd tend to agree with JDG. This kind of stuff isn't the real issue.

And we are all ignoring the TicketMaster issues. I was just checking out what I'd get for a ticket on Ticket Exchange - despite all the assurances you can sell them for pretty much what you pay for them, they are only offering a fraction. The partial packs were ... was it $162 for 6 tickets in light-grey? Average of about $27 each. Yet even for a regular game, you only get $15.22 of the sale on Ticket Exchange; for a premium game you only get $23.74. So for your $162 you can only recoup $108.36 throuch Ticket Exchange. And then not only does Ticketmaster sell the ticket your only getting $15.22 for $25; they then tack on a $9.50 in charges - making almost $20, while giving you only $15 for what you paid a lot more!

No wonder some fans are driven to other means, when they can't even recover their own cost on TicketExchange!

olegunnar
03-31-2009, 10:40 AM
leave this guy alone.

Do you know Auncivilized?

Or Rob Norris or whatever his name is, can't be bothered to look it up.

I find it interesting how personal you seem to be taking this.

On one side you have the RPB president looking for confrontations with scalpers....then on the other...there's you and Canadian Blue sticking up for your buddy.

SilentSam
03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Purchasing off scapler's really illegal? That doesn't make sense to me. I buy from scaplers from time to time. It Sucks, the price can be over inflated, but the pickings are slim if you don't have seasons.

sometimes I wish the hype factor of TFC dies down, so more reasonable priced tickets are available.

Primavera
03-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Exactly ! If the only thing that was important was not to be financially worse off, sell them through account manager. You paid season ticket rates - i.e. much less than face value. Not judging, just be honest mate - you're making a nice profit even if you charge 'face value'.

Whenever I have to miss a game I sell the tickets for the price printed on the ticket - absolutely no guilt. The person I sell to is saving TM charges (~ $20.00 for the pair) and I make a bit of money for a beer at a game.

How does one figure out the cost of individual tickets bought in a ST? It's not as simple as dividing by 15 (or however many games there are).

JDG
03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Do you know Auncivilized?

Or Rob Norris or whatever his name is, can't be bothered to look it up.

I find it interesting how personal you seem to be taking this.

On one side you have the RPB president looking for confrontations with scalpers....then on the other...there's you and Canadian Blue sticking up for your buddy.

He's not my buddy.
I'm bothered by the witch hunt that many are engaged in.
If he tried to sell those tickets on this forum at a mark up I'd ban his ass in a second. He didn't try to sell here, which means that more than half of what people are saying has nothing to do with his specific situation.
What's pissing me off is the misguided, uninformed opinions that are coming out over this. Take auncivilized out of the picture, and insert your name, and I'd react exactly the same way.
It's not up to us to police Facebook for people who need to dump a few tickets at a 10-15% markup. Save your righteous fury for the scumbags who make a living by putting tourists into the South End.

Phil
03-31-2009, 01:07 PM
This thread has come to a conclusion.