PDA

View Full Version : GolTV coverage last night

torfchamilton
03-29-2009, 08:09 AM
I was impressed that they took most of our suggestions and implemented them. No profiles, giant scoreboard, and full screen ads and we had post game interviews with JC and GS. Columbus' tv coverage was better than KC's but nonetheless a job well done by Paul and co.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
03-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Definitely an improvement but the producer needs told to ease up on the zooming in on players. We missed seeing our goal "live" because the producer decided to put a random shot of play from the touchline which got blocked by the behinds of players/coaches on the bench.

Its fine to use this footage when the play is stopped but personally I only want to see the view from the broadcast booth.

I also thought it was amateur showing a silhouette of the two blokes backs in the broadcast booth while the game was one. WTF? Is this to prove they are actually at the match?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-29-2009, 08:32 AM
i think that was a local thing cuz i got that on the mls centre thingy too

ElvistheEvilScotsman
03-29-2009, 08:36 AM
i think that was a local thing cuz i got that on the mls centre thingy too

Good point. I think we can all agree MLS should be investing in proper broadcast equipment (HD Cameras, field level microphones), video editing equipment and decent broadcasting personnel. Its necessary to step this up to make the league more credible with other sports out there.

profit89
03-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Much improved !!

torfchamilton
03-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Yeah can't do too much on the local front. Did they zoom in on a flare and that's why we missed the goal?

OneLoveOneEric
03-29-2009, 08:54 AM
You're kidding right?
They missed the fucking 2nd goal!

DOMIN8R
03-29-2009, 08:58 AM
^^^That mistake was the feed from Columbus not Gol TV's production error

OneLoveOneEric
03-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Ahh. My bad.

djking2
03-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Gol's production was way better. The camera action on the own goal obviously not their decision.

GBV
03-29-2009, 09:02 AM
JdV is still terrible though.

dcdcdc
03-29-2009, 09:05 AM
I watched the game live on DirectKick via FTA and found the video quality to be much better than the GOL tv picture even though it was the same feed. GOL tv's games looks horrendous on a HDTV

Danbwoy
03-29-2009, 09:09 AM
I still don't understand how putting the games on a specialty channel that you need to subscribe to will help broaden the appeal of a young franchise that is on the cusp of breaking out onto this city's high-profile sports scene.

torfchamilton
03-29-2009, 10:00 AM
I watched the game live on DirectKick via FTA and found the video quality to be much better than the GOL tv picture even though it was the same feed. GOL tv's games looks horrendous on a HDTV

I am not an expert or do I know the terminology, but in the case of direct kick, it is broadcasted from the stadium to the satellite to your home, in the case of goltv, from stadium to satellite to goltv to satellite to your home. You lose quality when it's not first signal transmission.

djking2
03-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I still don't understand how putting the games on a specialty channel that you need to subscribe to will help broaden the appeal of a young franchise that is on the cusp of breaking out onto this city's high-profile sports scene.

Well if NO other station is going to broadcast the game let me ask you then. What don't you understand the N or the O?

mlsintoronto
03-29-2009, 10:37 AM

its about choosing the evil...tape delay? Bold? or GolTV? the consensus seems to be that Gol makes the most sense given the soccer specific nature of their content. Once MLSE gets control you can expect a weekly show, lots of TFC content...maybe daily eventually. and the rest of the content (ie live games) is really quite good.

GolTV makes more sense to a soccer fan than Raptors or Leafs TV to their fans in my opinion...because it is about the sport...not just the team.

Erkan16
03-29-2009, 10:57 AM

i agree. i just bought an HDTV friday and the bad quality of the broadcast was heightened by the TV.

uncle p
03-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Where ever the feed came from it was HORRIBLE at time's. Constantly changing camera angles (or zooming in and out) during the the course of a play was a bad decision.....And the fact they missed the own goal speaks for itself

Toronto_Bhoy
03-29-2009, 11:17 AM
its about choosing the evil...tape delay? Bold? or GolTV? the consensus seems to be that Gol makes the most sense given the soccer specific nature of their content. Once MLSE gets control you can expect a weekly show, lots of TFC content...maybe daily eventually. and the rest of the content (ie live games) is really quite good.

GolTV makes more sense to a soccer fan than Raptors or Leafs TV to their fans in my opinion...because it is about the sport...not just the team.

Go to where the customer is...the above makes total sense.

I love football...the fave button on my converter is FSW, Gol TV and Setanta. Having TFC programming on a soccer specialty channel is a no-brainer.

greatwhitenorf
03-29-2009, 11:35 AM
All in all, a decent telecast on GOL. Have to wonder where the game feed director's head was at when they missed the TFC goal.

I mean, a free kick is about to be taken in a fairly dangerous position. These set pieces should have the TV crew focused on the kick and the goal area. They do tend to produce notable action.

But we get to see a flare in a trash can as the kick is about to be taken. Either a rookie mistake or incompetence.

Liked the fact that they cleared up one question about fan noise on TFC goal kicks by lingering on the Crew fans as they chanted 'You're an asshole' during one goal kick.

Wish some network would be brave enough to allow a sports studio show to run on the merits of the hosts comments and supporting highlights without hanging TV screens all over the place and running fairly pointless moving graphics.

And poor Lee WhatsHisName. A Day One staffer with GOL and now he's taking his match-day cues from the cutie-pie newcomer. Ouch.

mr k
03-29-2009, 12:02 PM
having TFC on GOLtv is natural - but I have to shake my head that NCAA matches were on SUN tv & the Score last night while the local team couldn't get its match on local tv.

rocker
03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
I want to be interviewed in Jack Astor's by Andi.

katatonic
03-29-2009, 01:10 PM
thank god for no nigel reed

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-29-2009, 01:14 PM
The Future of TFC is on Gol Tv and will be a good thing long term....the pre and post games shows are great..something the other carries of TFC didnt do...I just hope the pick up some out of market MLS games down the road..lets promote the league.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-29-2009, 01:17 PM

although i would have been great seeing the match live..it gave me a chance to take in 590's coverage on radio and thats the next best thing
MLSE should be given due credit for purchasing into gol, it will be the best thing for TFC since the signed John Carver!!

SteeltownBhoy
03-29-2009, 01:23 PM

And a specialty channel that lots of people don't have an option to purchase!!!

YOU LISTENING PAUL??? You have a stake in GOL TV put some pressure on the cable companies (Cogeco) to offer this channel in all areas( Hamilton).

That would be with PLEASE and THANK YOU.

I have tried calling them and basically just received lip service.

Pachuco
03-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Coverage was much better last night. Must give GoalTV props for that. GoalTV in HD anyone? that's what I'm waiting for.

Sally Mack
03-29-2009, 02:56 PM
And a specialty channel that lots of people don't have an option to purchase!!!

YOU LISTENING PAUL??? You have a stake in GOL TV put some pressure on the cable companies (Cogeco) to offer this channel in all areas( Hamilton).

That would be with PLEASE and THANK YOU.

I have tried calling them and basically just received lip service.

Uhh... Channel 122. $2.69 I think. :D

Stryker
03-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Well let me start by saying that the Gol TV pre and post game show is GREAT.
The hosts know what they're talking about and the spots are of a high but not perfect production value. I love the colourful intro. The studio set is well laid out and attractive. Although alittle red in the colour scheme wouldn't hurt.
The commentary during games is well done (although De Vros suggestion this week that DeRo should have gone down on a break irked me).
Here are my critiques on the coverage:

The score ticker is still too big. They've reduced it 15% to a more acceptable size but if they truely want to get it right it needs to be reduced another 15%.

The post game highlights with the "beams of light" is overdone. Yes its fun to play with visual effects but its quite distracting.

Why does Andi not have her own camera? She's knowledgeable, well spoken and pleasing to the eye. You have the chance to make her into the Jodi Vance of soccer. Take it and give her the close up shot when shes speaking.

Thats about it really. Fix the above mentioned flaws and I think they'll have everything set up perfect.

Esquire
03-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Uhh... Channel 122. $2.69 I think. :D

It's not available in some areas of Hamilton.