PDA

View Full Version : Dichio-I still love what he brings to the team

trane
03-28-2009, 07:15 PM
I still like the way the team looks with Dichio , particullarly with inteligent players like De Ro and Vitti then with Barrett. I like Barret for his running and willigness to shot. HOwever, I just think that other then speed Dichio is just a better footballer, a better striker. I think that we would be better of, considering the attcking midfiled/second strikers that we have to see more rather then less Dichio in the game. I know that he cannot play long minutes, but either him or another larger goalpoaching striker would be nice.

ThunderTundra
03-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, Dichio doesn't have the speed, but he has wonderful ball control in tight spaces and has great awareness of where he is on the pitch and where the ball needs to go

Jeff s
03-28-2009, 07:20 PM
screw Barrett. Seriously can someone tell me why they have so much hope on this douche? He freaking sucks. Dichio actually wins the headers, and holds up the play a 100 times better. Start Dichio and Vitti next game PLEASE!

Dirk Diggler
03-28-2009, 08:35 PM
I agree. I've never understood where all this Barret love is coming from. The guy is a serviceable striker ... but on a good team, he is the first striker off the bench ... not a team's primary goal scorer by any stretch of imagination. I know he is slightly better than what he has shown so far this season but this is quite disappointing none the less. If we can shed some salary, a DP striker is definitely something that Mo and company should be looking at during the summer.

Kickit09
03-28-2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=196&pictureid=1014

Nuvinho
03-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Like it or not, Dichio is a 30 minute guy. I don't know if he can last a full 90 minutes. I do love how they play with him on the field. I actually think that Dichio and Vittil compliment each other better than Barrett and Vitti.

ExiledRed
03-28-2009, 08:51 PM
He absolutely changes the game when he comes on.

Vitti and DeRo both know how to use him as a target man, and he frees them up by drawing defenders to him. Barrett was like an ashtray on a motorbike out there today. Dichio is still the best forward we have and should be starting.

trane
03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
^ That is just it, Vitti and DeRo can create alot of chances from him, and he as always will be able to get his won shots, you add Guevarra to the mix, and it cuold be a trully potent mix. Barret is similar to Vitti and DeRo in what he brings just not as tallented. Dichio ties up the defenders, createing space, distributes the ball, holds the ball, heads, ect..

DoubleUp
03-28-2009, 10:28 PM
yeah dichio should start, with chad comin off the bench.

devioustrevor
03-28-2009, 10:32 PM
He completely changed the game. Chad Marshall (or whatever his name is) was an absolute beastie until Superman came into the game. When he can't physically overwhelm the man he's marking, he seems to be perfectly mediocre.

Yohan
03-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Dichio was effective today because Route #9, Destination Dichio (which is name of my DJ mix btw lol) still works. The longball shit in first half would have been effective if Dichio was at the end of those longballs. As good as Chad Marshall and O'Rourke is in the air, there arent many defenders in MLS that can handle Danny D.

Esp with lack of offensive creativity in midfield today, Dichio should have started in place of either Vitti or Barrett. Long ball works, but only when you got someone who can win the ball in the air, and his name is Danny Dichio

profit89
03-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Barrett stinks

ensco
03-29-2009, 09:22 AM
He absolutely changes the game when he comes on.

Vitti and DeRo both know how to use him as a target man, and he frees them up by drawing defenders to him. Barrett was like an ashtray on a motorbike out there today. Dichio is still the best forward we have and should be starting.

I believe you called him a "one man f#&%&$* football team" in 2007.

It's still true.

Oldtimer
03-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Barrett played poorly for 2 matches. It's good to remember that he is inconsistent, but is capable of playing a good game. It just depends which Barrett is going to show up that day.

Dichio is still a legend, and should be getting more playing time, except in situations like KC where speed is really important. He is a fine 30-minute player, and will do well whenever he plays.

ExiledRed
03-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Barrett played poorly for 2 matches. It's good to remember that he is inconsistent, but is capable of playing a good game. It just depends which Barrett is going to show up that day.

Dichio is still a legend, and should be getting more playing time, except in situations like KC where speed is really important. He is a fine 30-minute player, and will do well whenever he plays.

When did it become decided he was a 'thirty minute player'

This horseshit has spread through the board like a disease.

He's losing play to donkeys like barrett, and people are fine with this because they are somehow convinced that 34 is 'too old'

Dichio should be starting, and getting subbed at 60-70 minutes for the likes of Ibrahim, who will change the pace of the attack later on in the game.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Dude, he became a 30 minute player when he got injured and would lose pace last year.
Hes even gone so far as to admit that hes not able to play a full game.
Barretts had two games and is about a decade younger with potential, dont throw the baby out with the bathwater

ExiledRed
03-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Dude, he became a 30 minute player when he got injured and would lose pace last year.
Hes even gone so far as to admit that hes not able to play a full game.
Barretts had two games and is about a decade younger with potential, dont throw the baby out with the bathwater

Barrett's had more than two games, he's no rookie. He thinks too much, lacks confidence and finishes poorly three times out of four. He might be young, but he's not so young that he could still be a superstar in the making. I'd rather give Ibrahim the benefit of the doubt to be honest, at 18, he actually still could be a diamond in the rough.

And find me the Dichio quote. If he thought he only had thirty minutes a game in him, then he'd retire, he's smart enough to know that this team doesn't have the depth to support luxury supersubs.

OneLoveOneEric
03-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I used to sit on the fence on this one, but no longer. Now that we have an attacking pair like DeRo and Guevara that are intelligent enough to know how to play off of Danny, his value has become much more apparent. Last night showed that.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Barretts no rookie but on the same hand hes not played that miserably these last two games, he missed a few shots and will prob miss more in the future. Torontocelt said in another thread that he'd be more pissed if he didnt even get those chances and hes right. Barrett will never be a 20 goal a season player, thats a fact we have to accept, that being said hes not total crap either.

Im looking for that quote right now, hes accepted the fact that theres younger talent and as a result will sit on the bench but will still make the difference and still give it his all. Theres nothing wrong with that either, thats hardly admitting defeat, especially with his history of concussions.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-29-2009, 12:01 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/bill_lankhof/2009/03/18/8789661-sun.html

"I'm realistic," Dichio said. "I won't play or start every game. (Coach John Carver) spoke to me and I can give my knowledge and fit into games at times or when players are injured. I can thrive on that -- helping guys out in the changing room when they're having a bad time, giving encouragement when they're going through a sticky patch. I've been there. I know what it feels like when you haven't scored in a few games."

ExiledRed
03-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Theres a difference between accepting he won't be 'playing or starting' every game, than making the assertation that he is not able to play a full game.

Seriously.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Sure, fine, youre right there. Chances of him starting are arguably slim to nil (while we have talented young players available) and i personally feel that there were a few games that he played last year where he could be subbed in the 60 minute without a doubt. Perhaps the term 30 min player was being used liberally that being said I dont think he can contribute for a full 90

MartinUtd
03-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I think we can all agree that Dichio adds a lot to the line up but is by no means a 90 minute man. The real question is would you rather him start and be replaced after 60 with faster legs, or is a physical presence like Dichio best used in the second half?

Yohan
03-29-2009, 12:34 PM
I think we can all agree that Dichio adds a lot to the line up but is by no means a 90 minute man. The real question is would you rather him start and be replaced after 60 with faster legs, or is a physical presence like Dichio best used in the second half?
It really depends on the game.
I thought Dichio would have been better up front yesterday than Vitti/Barrett due to lack of creative play from the midfield.

bhoybobby
03-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Dichio is still the only legit target man we have who can attract attention & dish the ball under pressure. We're better with him on the field. That's a fact, Carver probably has this sussed now

CretanBull
03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Dichio finally getting some love in the General forums...after a year of constant bashing.

ricciboy
03-29-2009, 12:48 PM
he has passion when he plays

ensco
03-29-2009, 01:05 PM
This accepted wisdom about Dichio makes me nuts. Based on what are all you guys asserting that he can't go 60 or 90?

Where is this huge evidence of this?

He made the pass of the year last year, in a game he'd played 85 minutes in, only last September at New York (using the outside of his foot on a nifty flick to spring Marvell or Jo Smith, I can't remember which).

Yes he gets hurt, and guess what? He recovers! (He is injury prone, so we do need other strikers.)

The fact is that management told DD he was getting a reduced role, when they came to him in the off season to cut his salary. Like the total trooper that he is, he accepted it and is even helping to sell it. This may mean many things, but it is not evidence that he can't play a dominating role anymore.

ExiledRed
03-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Dichio is still the only legit target man we have who can attract attention & dish the ball under pressure. We're better with him on the field. That's a fact, Carver probably has this sussed now

It makes me worried that he hasn't sussed it yet.

I mean what the fuck? Vitti looked like he actually had options once Danny was out there.

Barret and Vitti might have been playing on different fields.

MartinUtd
03-29-2009, 01:08 PM
It really depends on the game.
I thought Dichio would have been better up front yesterday than Vitti/Barrett due to lack of creative play from the midfield.

Absolutely he looked better than Barrett up front. I thought Vitti held his own considering he was being triple teamed whenever he had the ball. As for fitness, I don't see Barrett or Dichio regularly putting in a full 90 based on what we know about the two so unless our lineup is really thin and they put in the minutes out of necessity I don't see how it depends on the game.

ExiledRed
03-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Absolutely he looked better than Barrett up front. I thought Vitti held his own considering he was being triple teamed whenever he had the ball. As for fitness, I don't see Barrett or Dichio regularly putting in a full 90 based on what we know about the two so unless our lineup is really thin and they put in the minutes out of necessity I don't see how it depends on the game.

They were terrified of Vitti, and they kept a good watch on him all game.
The thing is, Barrett should have exploited this fact, and used the space better, but he just buzzed around like a blue arsed fly being ineffective.

Dichio immediately drew defenders away from Vitti, and was there to catch the long balls and distribute them to him. If Dichio had started I think Vitti would have bagged one for sure.

MartinUtd
03-29-2009, 01:19 PM
This accepted wisdom about Dichio makes me nuts. Based on what are all you guys asserting that he can't go 60 or 90?

Where is this huge evidence of this?

He made the pass of the year last year, in a game he'd played 75 minutes in, only last September at New York (using the outside of his foot on a nifty flick to spring Marvell or Jo Smith, I can't remember which).

Yes he gets hurt, and guess what? He recovers! (He is injury prone, so we do need other strikers.)

The fact is that management told DD he was getting a reduced role, when they came to him in the off season to cut his salary. Like the total trooper that he is, he accepted it and is even helping to sell it. This may mean many things, but it is not evidence that he can't play a dominating role anymore.

From the man himself:

"The ache seems to hang around a lot longer than it used to," he said, grinning.
Now you're right.. he got injured and recovered in a game or two in the past but I'm not so optimistic that those recovery times will be the same as it used to be. Beside the whole concussion thing, he's not getting any younger and our pitch isn't exactly like walking on air.

I'm sure if we demanded 90 minutes off of Danny he could provide it in the short term, but at what cost?

MartinUtd
03-29-2009, 01:21 PM
They were terrified of Vitti, and they kept a good watch on him all game.
The thing is, Barrett should have exploited this fact, and used the space better, but he just buzzed around like a blue arsed fly being ineffective.

Dichio immediately drew defenders away from Vitti, and was there to catch the long balls and distribute them to him. If Dichio had started I think Vitti would have bagged one for sure.

Here's hoping for next week.

Either way I think we'll see all three strikers at some point, just in what order remains to be seen.

ensco
03-29-2009, 01:25 PM
It makes me worried that he hasn't sussed it yet.

I mean what the fuck? Vitti looked like he actually had options once Danny was out there.

Barret and Vitti might have been playing on different fields.

Carver gets fixed ideas in his head and can't shake them. He doesn't adjust quickly enough. It's maddening.

We played 4-5-1 for weeks last year, when it was freaking obvious that Cunningham was not Didier Drogba. Then there was his "earn the shirt" thing that cost us points.

Carver enjoys keeping everyone off balance, and he knows how to stroke the support. But his skill as a manager of a game is not really clear to me.

He seems more like a guy who, to use the analogy from a different sport, woke up on third base and thought he hit a triple.

ensco
03-29-2009, 01:29 PM
From the man himself:

Now you're right.. he got injured and recovered in a game or two in the past but I'm not so optimistic that those recovery times will be the same as it used to be. Beside the whole concussion thing, he's not getting any younger and our pitch isn't exactly like walking on air.

I'm sure if we demanded 90 minutes off of Danny he could provide it in the short term, but at what cost?

It takes him longer to recover than it used to. Got it. Same as Schellotto or Del Piero.

This is actually a whole different line of argument. DD could go 90 but maybe he shouldn't. I agree that this is a legitimate point, although I'd play him, personally.

He's a football player. He can go 90. You watch.

ExiledRed
03-29-2009, 01:37 PM
He doesn't have to go 90, we have forwards on the bench.

There's no room for thirty minute players in this team, or in this league. Luckily I don't think our top scorer is a 'thirty minute player'

ensco
03-29-2009, 01:46 PM
He doesn't have to go 90, we have forwards on the bench.

There's no room for thirty minute players in this team, or in this league. Luckily I don't think our top scorer is a 'thirty minute player'

If Carver wants to sub in a forward, he can move DD into central defence.

(OK I'm kidding. I agree with this point. )

Section 117
03-29-2009, 01:54 PM
IMO yesterdays game is the perfect example why we need Danny.

When you have a monster of a defender named Marshall that is a beast in the air and we are missing the mdfield skill Danny is the perfect target man. The squad played better and got more space cause Danny nulliifed Maeshall.

Hopefullly Craver will realize that one day...

trane
03-30-2009, 08:43 AM
I used to sit on the fence on this one, but no longer. Now that we have an attacking pair like DeRo and Guevara that are intelligent enough to know how to play off of Danny, his value has become much more apparent. Last night showed that.

Bang on.

I also agree with much that Exiled has said. Particullarly about Vitti, whome I was doubtfull about unitll Saturday.

I am not anti Barret, I am undisided about him, but I do think he is better in the hole then upfront, and as I said for all his pace, compared to Dichio, and work rate, he just has not showed a real undertanding of the game.

Dichio, would realy compliment players, like De Ro, Vitti and Guevarra who now how to play the game. It takes more then pace to be a great forward/attacking mid.