PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC @ KKKrew Postgame Thread

Pages : [1] 2

TFC USA
03-28-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm pessimistic......but TFC may change me.

2 games in and we're unbeaten! A 1-1 draw and had the MLS refs had eyes we'd be 2-0-0!

Not a great game by any means, but the luck is finally going our way.

NEXT VICTIM: Seattle Sounders FC AT BMO!!

Dunkers
03-28-2009, 05:05 PM
tonight we are tops in the leauge, i love it

Ageroo
03-28-2009, 05:05 PM
probably should have been a 0-0 match...both goals a little bad....but I could care less.....4 points of a possible 6 on the road.

ilikemusic
03-28-2009, 05:06 PM
John Carver shushing the Columbus fans was epic.

I think once I find a picture of that I will have found a new avatar.

DeRo's attempts were rough though. He barely kept em in the stadium.

And i'll bet 10 bucks there is some kind of 'altercation' after this game. Crew fans are a petulant bunch.

Inswingingwingman
Awesome result, some bad play, I'd love to see Dicho in when the other 2 come back.

It was shite to watch, I got the Monster hi-def tv with woofers and tweeters and I watched on a grainy tiny computer screen stutter away. And the wife who went out for my beer went to a friggin fabric store and came home with out it.

Have a happy period wife....

Wait no I say that during the hockey game when she says it's too loud LOL

S_D
typical MLS game where the ref decides the outcome.

TFC HSV
why was frei pulled after the firts half?

TFC USA
03-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Let me find some KKKrew fan comments.....hope it will shut them up and humble all 50 of them. :)

rocker
03-28-2009, 05:07 PM
fair result...

TFC didn't play that well, but Columbus didn't play that well either. Both teams made a lot of mistakes.. neither team could get much going at times.

Their goal was a gift from us to them... our goal was a gift from them to us.

They didn't dominate us, and we are the road team, so the single point is welcome!!!

4 points from 6 on the road... columbus has only 2 points of 6 to start the season.

yellowfellow
03-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Putting Dichio in was key. He took out Marshall.

FCBarcelona
why was frei pulled after the firts half?
====
he landed funny after making a great save and looked hurt

Batman
Columbus seemed to have the upper hand for most of the game. We seemed to really miss Guevarra and Robbo. But I'm thrilled with the result. I wonder how many games it took us to pick up 4 pts. on the road in season 1 or 2.

TFC Udora
What's the difference between Columbus and a triangle?

Bargs7
And thanks to GolTV, we miss the tying goal. :)

gmacpheetfc
03-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Did anyone get a look at the planed reading of the news papers during the ring presentation???

TFC HSV
03-28-2009, 05:10 PM
====
he landed funny after making a great save and looked hurt

shit that sucks. can someone do a recap? Since the game is delayed I could only follow match tracker. Carver shushing crew fans sounds intriguing lmao

TFC USA
What's the difference between Columbus and a triangle?

I dunno......people would rather live in a Triangle?

rocker
Columbus seemed to have the upper hand for most of the game.

a bit of an upper hand... maybe 60-40? but the MLS Champs at home on opening day did not dominate TFC. I would expect the home side to play better than the road side in MLS.

Columbus made a shitload of mistakes themselves, as did TFC.

Columbus at home on opening day should look much better than they did. But they really missed Moreno up front and Heyduk at the back.

mclaren
03-28-2009, 05:11 PM
And thanks to GolTV, we miss the tying goal. :)

yeah, that was awful. what exactly did they cut to? someone's coat?

S_D
Satisfied with the draw. Very unsatisfied with the ref.

If Barrett continues to play like he has in the last 2 matches his ass is going to be glued to the bench.

I really like what I saw from Vitti. He seems to have a lot of skill. I really liked it that he was willing to do slide tackles to get the ball, something that you don't see many forwards do. He was obviously outmatched by the CB's height, but Frei has to take responsiblity for that, constantly launching his kicks downfield.

Longball sucked until Dichio got on. I am surprised that they didn't try a shortpassing game to take the CB's out of the match in the air in the beginning.

Super
Terrible game from start to finish. Poor passing and finishing from both sides. But there was a lot riding on this one - and I'm very happy with the point. Coming home with 4 points in the bag is a great start.

yanggoh
bring on montero and his silly little dance. he won't have much to dance about when we crush the sounders next week.

TFCAlbertaGirl
tonight we are tops in the leauge, i love it
Love it lets all pray to the football gods to keep us there...

TFC Udora
I dunno......people would rather live in a Triangle?

A triangle has three points :canada:

David_Oliveira
03-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Lets face it. We played like shit. We are lucky to get a point. We really missed Robbo and Amado today

rocker

that was not the fault of GolTV.

It happened on the home Columbus broadcast too.. so blame it on the home broadcaster :)

Inswingingwingman
I gotta watch it on real tv tonight. The ending will be worth it along with the 10 minutes I missed when the stream got stuck.

Chevy

If Barrett continues to play like he has in the last 2 matches his ass is going to be glued to the bench.

I really like what I saw from Vitti. He seems to have a lot of skill. I really liked it that he was willing to do slide tackles to get the ball, something that you don't see many forwards do. He was obviously outmatched by the CB's height, but Frei has to take responsiblity for that, constantly launching his kicks downfield.

Longball sucked until Dichio got on. I am surprised that they didn't try a shortpassing game to take the CB's out of the match in the air in the beginning.

Barrett will be on the bench for next Saturday's game. Vitti will start up front with Dero and Guevera playing off him.

TFC USA
Some KKKrew comments from the Big Soccer board:

"We just blew 2 points. Disastrous start to the season."

"No way, Crew should have had 3 at a minimum in the first and Toronto has no business getting any point. "

I love it.

rocker
03-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Lets face it. We played like shit.

and columbus played like shit too. they had one or two decent chances on goal. bad game from both sides.

Kickit09
03-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Toronto unbeaten in 2, Columbus winless in 2. its the beautiful thing.

S_D
03-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Some KKKrew comments from the Big Soccer board:

"We just blew 2 points. Disastrous start to the season."

"No way, Crew should have had 3 at a minimum in the first and Toronto has no business getting any point. "

I love it.

And let me guess.... They thought that the handball was a legitimate call lol.

Batman
03-28-2009, 05:14 PM
a bit of an upper hand... maybe 60-40? but the MLS Champs at home on opening day did not dominate TFC. I would expect the home side to play better than the road side in MLS.

Columbus made a shitload of mistakes themselves, as did TFC.

Columbus at home on opening day should look much better than they did. But they really missed Moreno up front and Heyduk at the back.

Ya I can go with 60 - 40 but we certainly didn't have much offense. A very good road result no the less.

FCBarcelona
03-28-2009, 05:15 PM

===
Agree Vitti looked good and he's only going get better, once he knows his players littler better,
MLS ref's are the worst in ALL OF FUTBOL ,

loconet
03-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm still confident that Barrett is going to come out. I'm seeing pure nervousness. Give it a few games. he will show up.

Browner
Attendance listed at 14,686. Ouch.

S_D
Vitti was an absolute pest in front of the keeper during the set pieces. He was really starting to get under the KKK keeper in the second half. You know you are doing a good job when the keeper starts throwing his hands up in the air saying "come on". :)

rocker
03-28-2009, 05:20 PM
we still get fucked by penalties.... i thought i had recovered from the nightmares of penalty kicks past.... 2007 and 2008 were particularly nightmarish for that!

but man, 4 of 6 points on the road to start the season when we never got any points in the first two road games of the past two seasons!!!

suweeet!

TFCAlbertaGirl
Terrible game from start to finish. Poor passing and finishing from both sides. But there was a lot riding on this one - and I'm very happy with the point. Coming home with 4 points in the bag is a great start.

Yup lucky the ugly yellow team got an own goal...I credit that to getting out my lucky RPB pint glass about 1 minute before. Lucky point but I'll take it!!

wzhxvy
I hope Ricketts writes an outstanding Twitter and has a really strong episode of Rolling with Ricketts because that will be his only contribution this week...

Kevin

Is that not the same as our season ticket waiting list? :hump:

jloome
03-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Vitti was an absolute pest in front of the keeper during the set pieces. He was really starting to get under the KKK keeper in the second half. You know you are doing a good job when the keeper starts throwing his hands up in the air saying "come on". :)

Vitti, Cronin, Smith, Serioux, Wynne all played reasonably well. Everyone else -- except maybe Dichio -- just kinda clanged around all afternoon.

forza_tfc
that was not the fault of GolTV.

It happened on the home Columbus broadcast too.. so blame it on the home broadcaster :)

Yep, that's the feed for Direct Kick. I yelled profusely at the TV.

Esquire
Did they give a number for the amount of Toronto fans in the stands?

rocker
I was mixed on Cronin today. I thought he was pretty invisible in the first half, then made two awful passes, then made a couple nice decisions... oh well.

London
03-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Is that not the same as our season ticket waiting list? :hump:

kevin, you already hate the crew!!!! nice:D:D:drinking::drinking:

CelicaCrazed
03-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Other than the "handball" call, I didn't think the refs did that bad of a job. They weren't biting on the dives at least. The only thing I'll complain about them is to get the hell out of the way of play!!! I don't know how many times our players got caught up with the ref!!

But I'll happily take a draw on the road from the defending champions. Next victim, Seattle!!

TFC USA
03-28-2009, 05:23 PM
KKKrew fans were impressed by the crowd!!

Nothing said on the penalty since the game thread was only 6 pages long!

TFCAlbertaGirl
The stands looked fuller than last year, but that might just be the magic of TV and I wasn't there in person.

rocker
gamestats are up:

http://web.mlsnet.com/scoreboard/game.jsp?match=03282009_TORCLB

Chevy
Did they give a number for the amount of Toronto fans in the stands?

Not sure, but I would estimate around 2,100 based on how full the upper deck was last year with 2,500.

Dunkers
Vitti, Cronin, Smith, Serioux, Wynne all played reasonably well. Everyone else -- except maybe Dichio -- just kinda clanged around all afternoon.

Smith was just fast, Devos was right, he never supported Jim B on the wing, all speed, needs to develop the IQ...but i guess that comes with more playing time

mclaren

Agreed except for Smith. He had one or two good tackles but apart from that he didn't achieve what he was brought on the pitch to do - get down the wing and cause trouble.

Kevin
kevin, you already hate the crew!!!! nice:D:D:drinking::drinking:

It's the scarf. It has some sort of aura about it!

forza_tfc
Wales lost to Finland today, dashing their World Cup hopes. Can we get Robbo back now?

Nerepis
03-28-2009, 05:25 PM

Did you forget the Keepers? :rolleyes: No way it's a tie without them.

NateDoGG
anyone get any txts from ur mates saying anything about a post game hooligasim riot lol

Super
So 14k, or rather 12k if you take away the TFC supporters. 12k for a home opener of a team that won the league last year. That's pretty pathetic! And yes, it's amazing to think that our waiting list for season tickets is a bigger number of people than Columbus managed to draw for its home opener. I mean, wow!

Kickit09
03-28-2009, 05:26 PM

MASSIVE FAIL

pathetic really. if it werent for the 1500+ TFC fans that stadium would of been half empty. they won the championship and still the same pathetic attendance numbers from last year. just pathetic.

S_D
03-28-2009, 05:27 PM
So 14k, or rather 12k if you take away the TFC supporters. 12k for a home opener of a team that won the league last year. That's pretty pathetic! And yes, it's amazing to think that our waiting list for season tickets is a bigger number of people than Columbus managed to draw for its home opener. I mean, wow!

was that 12K paid attendance? :D

Chevy
03-28-2009, 05:29 PM
They always announce paid. Probably 15 paid and 12-13 in the stands.

TFC USA
03-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Think 6k strolled in and saw fire and were amazed and got in for free.

Lucky Strike
03-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Earlier I complained that this sort of crap always happens against us, it's so fitting that the situation was rectified with an own goal. The football gods have restored justice. The match itself was scruffy and clearly affected by the wind. GBS still dives, that universal constant should have an equation or something.

Here are my player ratings (keep in mind my feed froze and I had to re-start my computer between approximately the 55th-65th minute):

Frei - 7: Made a fantastic save and can't be blamed for not stopping the penalty, particularly from GBS. Looked composed and I hope he's not seriously hurt. Subbed.
Wynne - 6: Had some good moves during the game but was beaten a few times by the opposition. Made it up with his speed however.
Serioux - 6.5: Did what he had to do today but didn't stand out too much. Although that's often a good thing in the CB position.
Velez - 6: I often shit on Velez for good reasons, but he was decent today. Made me nervous a few times however.
Brennan - 6.5: Passes were good and otherwise solid.
Harmse - 5: Will probably be blamed for giving away the penalty but I don't think he could anything about it. Really got screwed by the referee. Aside from that though, he didn't impress me with lousy passes and ineffective clearances to no one (or sometimes to a KKKrew player).
Cronin - 7: Busted another gut today with his solid efforts, had some good moves, covered GBS effectively and took him out of the game. Good passes and a generally solid match. Well done, we truly have a good player here.
Ricketts - 5: Not very impressive, couldn't get past anyone or create anything dangerous. Subbed.
DeRosario - 6.5: He really was the engine of the team today and although his shooting was poor, he did put in the ball into the box that Padula so kindly directed into his own net.
Barrett - 5: Didn't look very dangerous at all. Must do something beyond working really hard to keep his place. I worry that he'll become the next scapegoat and that it'll affect his confidence. He really can be a good player. Subbed.
Vitti - 7: Excellent showing today, looked tricky and caused worries for the opposition. He didn't score but looked good all around.
Dichio - 7: Changed the game by coming in and tying up Chad Marshall.
Smith - 5: Didn't really add anything by coming on and was generally unhelpful to Brennan on the left side, as the Gol TV people pointed out
Sutton - 7.5: To come in cold and try to keep the team in the game is very difficult. He looked very composed and judging from the commentators, apparently he made a few good saves while my computer was frozen.
Carver - 8: Had a good plan for the game and changed it appropriately when he saw it didn't work, particularly with the Barrett/Dichio situation. Loved it when he shushed the KKKolumbus fans.
Referee - 4: Gave a poor penalty against Harmse and was suckered into Schelotto's diving antics. Not much flattering to say. Maybe it's because I spent most of the match really angry.
MOTM: Aside from the fans, I'll go with with Sutton. Came in cold and did the job very well.

Most impressive by opposition's: Chad Marshall. Always huge in the air, one of the best defenders in MLS for sure. And he's not a dick.

Well done to the travelling fans, you completely outsung the home crowd! TFC undefeated, getting a good point on the road to the champions. No doubt they will whine about something, probably that they had absences and injuries, but you know what, so did we and we did well. They'll probably say they should have won because our goal was an own goal by Padula, that we didn't deserve the win. But we all know that's not true, it was DeRo who put the good ball into the box in the first place.

S_D
03-28-2009, 05:33 PM

haha you haven't followed Columbus's past history have you? They were caught inflating their numbers a while ago. Free ticket give aways at McDonalds etc that were included in their paid attendance. Not sure if they are honest about it or not now.

Chevy
03-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Agree, but Carver should be marked lower. What was with those constant, useless long throws? They did nothing but turn over possession.

mclaren
03-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Disagree about everyone's comments regarding the ref - I thought he had a solid game for a MLS ref.

manic.street.preacher
03-28-2009, 05:37 PM
MoM for me is Sutton, came in and didn't miss a beat, total class act. without him, we wouldn't have walked out with a point

Browner
03-28-2009, 05:37 PM
To be honest, I agree with LS's comments on Carver. He seemed to realize when guys weren't being effective and swapped playered in because of it. Contrast that to last year when we didnt' see substitutions until the 90th minute, if at all.

Inswingingwingman
03-28-2009, 05:38 PM
I vote Schlitto for diver of the match.

Nerepis
03-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Disagree about everyone's comments regarding the ref - I thought he had a solid game for a MLS ref.

LMAO, if they can walk upright and have an opposable thumb their doing well for an MLS ref.

wzhxvy

I agree with you. I think the Ref had a good game.

And now, the season opener next week, I am very PUMPED...I am sure we will give the boys a nice welcome home !

Batman
Nice post game analysis, Lucky.
I am in agreement with everything although I probably would have marked Ricketts lower. Was he even there?

Shakes McQueen

I'd like to say he did a decent job, but it's just hard to do that, in game with an undeserved penalty.

Aside from that one colossal fuck up, he did okay.

- Scott

TFCAlbertaGirl
03-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I vote Schlitto for diver of the match.

Seconded

Kickit09
03-28-2009, 05:41 PM
right now bill archer is crying in the shower in a puddle of his own urine.

mclaren
03-28-2009, 05:42 PM
I'd like to say he did a decent job, but it's just hard to do that, in game with an undeserved penalty.

Aside from that one colossal fuck up, he did okay.

- Scott

Those decisions are very hard to make for the ref and could really go either way so I don't blame him for making that call. It's not like there was a blatant dive by someone and he fell for it, in which case I'd agree the ref was bad.

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2009, 05:43 PM
As for Ricketts and Barrett - I'm going to give them another game or two (much like I assume Carver will too), before I pass judgment on them. Barrett just need confidence. I'm not sure what is wrong with RR.

But it's only two games I'll be interested to see how he performs in front of a full friendly crowd next weekend.

- Scott

S_D
03-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Lucky strike, I am good with most of those ratings but can't agree with some of them.

Cronin an 8? he almost cost us the game several times. Rookie mistakes. I give him a 5

Barrett a 5? I'm not a hater of Barrett but man he stunk up the joint. He should have been subbed off a lot earlier. I give him a 2

I wouldn't give Carver an 8 either. Those longball tactics were terrible against the KKK CB's and should have stopped immediately. I will give him credit though for eventually bringing on DD. I will give him a 10 for shushing the fans :)

I will give Frei the benefit of the doubt as he was probably doing what he was told...launch it downfield, but he did save the game with that spectacular save so its all good.

To the ass supporter smoking out Sutton I give you a big fat 0. You deserve a beating lol. Everyone else in the travelling support, full props... could hear you all game.

MFBODD
03-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Shit match, but I'll take it. Obviously the hand ball was a poor call, but we were not strong enough to win today. A single point in Columbus is a great result. Frei and Sutton played very well and as previously mentioned, DD did make a difference when he came on. I expect to see an effort more like what was displayed in KC next Saturday and I can't wait!

MartinUtd
03-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Great result against the defending champions. The supporters sounded top notch as well. Mad props to everyone that was down there chanting.

I'm glad we got to cancel out there shit goal with one of our own. Most importantly we're...

UNDEFEATED!! :canada:

Laurignano
I am not happy at all with the our team played. Way too much room in the midfield, it is clear our team really depends on Guevera and Robo to run the midfield. DeRo seems much more effective playing as a secondary striker, and Barrett really really is disappointing. I don't like how our team plays tactically either, way too many long balls and we hardly had possession of the ball all game.

Our coach needs to adapt his game to the MLS and realise that long balls will not win us games.

Soccer-Ts
John Carver shushing the Columbus fans was epic. .

I enjoyed that, I sure did-

Lucky Strike
03-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Lucky strike, I am good with most of those ratings but can't agree with some of them.

Cronin an 8? he almost cost us the game several times. Rookie mistakes. I give him a 5

Barrett a 5? I'm not a hater of Barrett but man he stunk up the joint. He should have been subbed off a lot earlier. I give him a 2

I wouldn't give Carver an 8 either. Those longball tactics were terrible against the KKK CB's and should have stopped immediately. I will give him credit though for eventually bringing on DD. I will give him a 10 for shushing the fans :)

I will give Frei the benefit of the doubt as he was probably doing what he was told...launch it downfield, but he did save the game with that spectacular save so its all good.

To the ass supporter smoking out Sutton I give you a big fat 0. You deserve a beating lol. Everyone else in the travelling support, full props... could hear you all game.

Couldn't agree more but it's still the players playing the match, not the coach. It's very possible Carver didn't want to see longball but players defaulted back to that.

mclaren
03-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Nice post game analysis, Lucky.
I am in agreement with everything although I probably would have marked Ricketts lower. Was he even there?

Ricketts need a serious pep talk from Carver to get his act together.

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Those decisions are very hard to make for the ref and could really go either way so I don't blame him for making that call. It's not like there was a blatant dive by someone and he fell for it, in which case I'd agree the ref was bad.

Even if he couldn't see where Harmse got hit with the ball, it was still plain to see that the shot was an unavoidable point-blank laser. You can't affect the outcome of the game by giving a penalty in such a dodgy situation.

Harmse would have needed Patrick Roy-like reflexes to get his arm out of the way there.

Penalties for hand ball should be strictly reserved to situations where a player willfully uses his hand in the run of play, or plays where a player could have reasonably moved their arm in time.

I commend him for not getting sucked into GBS's diving antics, however. And we ended up getting the goal back anyway, so all is forgiven as far as I'm concerned.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Couldn't agree more but it's still the players playing the match, not the coach. It's very possible Carver didn't want to see longball but players defaulted back to that.

Yeah, I think that was more a symptom of MLS-caliber players doing their thing, than a conscious decision by Carver to go to long ball tactics.

A good example is on our backline. Harmse has a tendency to just pound the ball upfield, whereas Serioux has a tendency to go for the smart pass. I don't think that a strategic decision by Carver, so much as an example of the quality difference between the two players.

Any word on whether Frei is alright, yet?

- Scott

Kickit09
03-28-2009, 05:52 PM
my favourite quote from big soccer crew forum:

"crew stadium lookin' good other than the completely empty sections"

:smilielol5:

MartinUtd
03-28-2009, 05:53 PM

I know!!! I actually said out loud to myself "why are we doing this to our own team"...then the camera when blurry as it passed. Where were the flares in the first half when Hesmer was in on that end?

Huginho
03-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Even if he couldn't see where Harmse got hit with the ball, it was still plain to see that the shot was an unavoidable point-blank laser. You can't affect the outcome of the game by giving a penalty in such a dodgy situation.

Harmse would have needed Patrick Roy-like reflexes to get his arm out of the way there.

Penalties for hand ball should be strictly reserved to situations where a player willfully uses his hand in the run of play, or plays where a player could have reasonably moved their arm in time.

I commend him for not getting sucked into GBS's diving antics, however. And we ended up getting the goal back anyway, so all is forgiven as far as I'm concerned.

- Scott

Dosen't help either when Harmse is running with his arms up for some reason

wzhxvy
03-28-2009, 05:54 PM
I think Ricketts needs more than a serious pep talk...I think he needs to be on the bench first of all...and if he does not perform when called upon or in practice, his ass needs to be shipped out.

S_D
03-28-2009, 05:54 PM

True, but Carver should be able to put a stop to it using a combination of leadership and threats of benching :)

Whenever the boys did those throughballs, their defense showed it's pace as weakness and should have been exploited much more than it was.

Batman
03-28-2009, 05:56 PM
my favourite quote from big soccer crew forum:

"crew stadium lookin' good other than the completely empty sections"

:smilielol5:

It looked like it had quite a few more people than the first game last year. The Columbus supporters group also looked quite a bit bigger than last year as well. I guess a championship does some of that, but considering that, still pretty meager.

MartinUtd
03-28-2009, 05:56 PM
When Guevara comes back that may just be an option.
Is it possible we're getting 25% less Ricketts because we're paying him that much less?

TERSIGNI
03-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Thought Frei and Sutton make great saves to keep us in the game after the penalty goal. It could have been over very quickly. We moved the ball pretty well, but spent too much time trying to beat defenders one and one thus giving up the ball. DeRos and Barret had some nice field goals. All in all we didnt test their goalie very much except maybe the Vitti shot. Yet, i thought our energy was great and the boys ran their hearts out. We got wanted we wanted..a point. Now, lets bring on the Sounders

TFCAlbertaGirl

One bad bone head move but the rest of the supporters Rocked! I love watching these away games and hearing the chants! Hope they had a safe postgame! ie. no pepperspray

wzhxvy
Oh btw, on the Harmse PK, I would not defend him. You are in the box, you turn around to block a shot, your never raise your arms, no freaking way. It was a thoughtless error that once again shows he is not a starting CB...the decision to award the PK was not a good one but he should not have put us in that position. Not to mention how he so badly misplayed his position, it was a gaping hole, and when he cleared the ball, it was mindless stuff, when he had minimal pressure on him. Lets face it, he is weak, clearly not a rocket scientist, but he is young. So maybe he can develop but he should never never start...at least not anytime soon.

Chevy
I think the Nordecke looked pretty full and organized tonight, so props to them.

Still couldn't hear them for most of the match though.

Soccer-Ts
03-28-2009, 05:59 PM
I think Ricketts needs more than a serious pep talk...I think he needs to be on the bench first of all...and if he does not perform when called upon or in practice, his ass needs to be shipped out.

Thank you. Somebody had to say it.

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2009, 05:59 PM

I think that's a bit extreme, based on two below par performances.

Even in KC, while he didn't do much offensively, he played well in the middle of the pitch.

I think Ricketts will get it back, and I'm willing to give him a little more time to do so, before benching him in favour of someone else.

We know he's capable of more than he's shown so far this season.

- Scott

Lucky Strike
03-28-2009, 06:00 PM
It looked like it had quite a few more people than the first game last year. The Columbus supporters group also looked quite a bit bigger than last year as well. I guess a championship does some of that, but considering that, still pretty meager.

Yeah, I didn't even touch on that in my ratings. What else does their team need to do? They won the MLS Cup, the Supporter Shield, are going to CCL this year, it's their home opener complete with the trophy present, against hated rivals who brought 2000+ fans and the place was half empty. It's a perfect storm to increase support for the team but still very few fans! It's beyond comprehension!

:noidea:

Fushida
Smith was NOT good. Lost the ball numerous times, didn't make intelligent runs, won the ball a few times, and just passed it back to Brennan and stood there. The kid is fast, has a few moves, but has no football/tactical mind.

Ricketts was terrible today... half assed tracking back, lost the ball so many times, didn't make any decent pass, and awful crossing. What's going on with him?! I think Cronin and Vitti did great though, Cronin was by far the best player on the pitch in the first half for TFC.. died off a little in the 2nd half, and it seemed like he was tired. Vitti did well, lost his touch a bit later on, tried to do too much. However I did notice that he got almost no support whenever he was holding up the ball (and well done too).. I think there needs to be some work there with the rest of the midfield.

Barrett... I don't know how many games he need to get into form but its worrying. Velez did okay, shaky decision making, but I didn't think he was too bad. Harmse just boots anything he sees. Wynne was okay, made a few good runs though... which makes me wish he did it a bit more rather than long ball.

mclaren
I think the Nordecke looked pretty full and organized tonight, so props to them.

Still couldn't hear them for most of the match though.

I think they basically just took everyone from the rest of the stadium and dumped them in one corner so they could look half decent on camera. I wonder what the stand on the camera side looked like.

mclaren
03-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Smith was NOT good. Lost the ball numerous times, didn't make intelligent runs, won the ball a few times, and just passed it back to Brennan and stood there. The kid is fast, has a few moves, but has no football/tactical mind.

fully agree - made very little impact and lost the ball a lot.

egoodwin
03-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Actually that was OSS's camera

But they did capture an epic shot of the smoke coming from under the overhead

Looks like it'll be the columbus pic just like lastyear's

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2009, 06:02 PM

Jo Smith is really good at two things - running really fast, and step overs. He need's to get smarter on the ball, before I would endorse making him a regular starter.

He's great for coming in to exploit tired defenses in the second half, however.

- Scott

ensco
03-28-2009, 06:03 PM
We were lucky. Sure that first goal was not a penalty but Columbus really should have had another one off that flurry late in the first half when Frei hurt himself (save of the match there, btw). Overall, they had more quality strikes than we did, by a 2-1 margin I'd say. The possession was closer, I'd agree with the 60/40 noted elsewhere, but most of our threats never got close to net, or wound up being harmless.

That really reminded of us in 2007 (excepting the result of course). Balls skied into the stands. Attacks fizzling with touch passes to nowhere. Only Dichio getting anything done up front. Barrett looked like Buddle, Ricketts/Smith like Welsh.

Sorry all you Vitti fans, but he lost most of his one-on-one battles and got dispossessed far too many times for me to be happy with his game. He gets an incomplete grade from me - Columbus has a good marking defense/midfield.

Why won't refs in this league even warn Schellotto, let alone card him? Without that, his act will go on. Having started a conversation about Guevara last week, Guevara is not remotely close to how bad GBS is. Schellotto is embarassing the game.

But getting results when you're not at your best, somehow, some way, that is what better teams do. We kept the pressure on and put ourselves in position to get some luck.

TFCAlbertaGirl
03-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I didn't even touch on that in my ratings. What else does their team need to do? They won the MLS Cup, the Supporter Shield, are going to CCL this year, it's their home opener complete with the trophy present, against hated rivals who brought 2000+ fans and the place was half empty. It's a perfect storm to increase support for the team but still very few fans! It's beyond comprehension!

Simple answer, it's the cesspool known as Columbus

MFBODD
03-28-2009, 06:06 PM
And just to bitch...both clubs had players away for international duty. Why are these matches played when there is a conflict? It creates a crappy product on the pitch and I hope the league wakes up soon!

Sab0tage
03-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Interviews of Sutton and Carver on TFC TV. John said our fans were better. :D

MartinUtd
03-28-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't remember Vitti losing any one on ones. I saw him give it up on a few two on ones and three one ones up the middle with nobody coming to his aide to help push forward.

Smith did have a bad touch today, but he also disrupted Columbus on the wing enough that I'd say his performance wasn't a total loss

Vince Whirlwind
03-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Not sure Barrett is ever gonna amount to much more than inconsistency. His history is one of missing chances and we haven't seen that change much since his arrival. Don't think he strikes much fear in the opposition.

Vitti just looked more like a footballer for whatever that's worth. Seems to have better ball control and probably was guilty of trying to do too much today. He worked well (better) with Dichio and once we get Guevara back, I think Carver should look at Vitti starting in place of Barrett to see what that brings.

Ricketts had a horrible game, he's also very hit-and-miss. Sutton did well as did Frei before injury.

Big problem is still the back line. Think Tebily was probably the best we ever had. The #1 pressing need is a serious CB.

Alarius
03-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Chad Marshall is a sold defender... and needed some one physical to keep under control. Dichio should have started ahead of Barrett. I thought our defense did pretty good given that they were facing schillowhateverhisnameis... Brian Carroll was pretty solid as well for them. I still saw a lot ball watching and defenders getting caught dreaming.
Ricketts is starting to be a liability.. sorry bud, lots of heart but no substance on the pitch..
Cronin had a pretty good day out..
Vitti was swamped most of the time..
Barrett sucked! period..

Lucky Strike
03-28-2009, 06:30 PM
FYI: 14686 was the attendance today - 2000 TFC fans = 12686 for a home opener. Pathetic.

jloome
03-28-2009, 06:32 PM

No, they've been consistent in announcing total tickets distributed in Columbus. Their local paper wrote about it last summer.

jloome
03-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Jo Smith is really good at two things - running really fast, and step overs. He need's to get smarter on the ball, before I would endorse making him a regular starter.

He's great for coming in to exploit tired defenses in the second half, however.

- Scott

Offensively non-existent, but he did play well defensively, and his stripping Schellotto three times in the second half may have led to the decision to take him off. And Columbus just doesn't play well without Schellotto on the field.

rocker
03-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Chad Marshall is a sold defender... and needed some one physical to keep under control. .

I disagree. I said before the game that the best way to break down columbus was to have creative players put their defense on their heels.
Columbus' defense can deal with slow, big players... but without Guevara, and with Barrett not playing his best, it didn't quite work out.

Houston broke Columbus down in week 1 not with size or physicality but with creative play between the midfield and the strikers.

TFC USA
03-28-2009, 06:38 PM
LOL at the Shite Bulls.......still have pointy ball lines on the pitch even though their last game was over 2 months ago.

TFCAlbertaGirl
03-28-2009, 06:47 PM
LOL @ columbus 2 stick they've held it up backwards after the penalty kick so no one knows what they're trying to say, Good show LOL

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Game Keys:

Chad, Ricketts were Ghosts, harmse was lost all game.

Without Amado & Carl our mid was invisible.

Vitti had no service, although he seemed to be the hardest working, always going in for challenges.

D was totally out of sync without carl.

Velez Solid and shaky, while Serioux was pretty solid.

Brennan gave up way too many .....

Sutton won #1 back again....

Vitti's hidden talent ....Amazing flick ons, possible hook up with carl or amado for a flick on through ball set peice??

trane
03-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Vitti suprised me, in the tenacity he showed I liked what I saw, clearly good footy IQ for this league.
De Ro should be the focus of our offence in attack.
Dichio is still a better all around striker then Barrett , other then the lack of speed. Barrett is better suited for the in the whole striker rather then the "point" [ translated from Italian].
Cronin showed me alot, he is shows a good understading for the game, particullarly for a NCAA rookie player.
Ricketts clearly had a sub-par game, but is still one of our top 5 mids.
Smith worked hard, and cotributed through effort but just is not a great all around player.
Wynne good game.
Brennan average game for him.
Serioux, was good. But we still need another CB.
Harmse is just to foul prone.
Sutton looked good.

Marc"2L"
03-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Don't worry. I'm guessing Danny's going to start at home. It makes sense now.

rocker
03-28-2009, 07:18 PM
i wanna see what Vitti, Guevara, and De Ro can do together, particularly at home.
there could be a lot of magic between them.

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Watching the re-air on GolTV right now. Schellotto's dive at the beginning of the second half is infuriating and hilarious at the same time. Virtually no contact on him at all from DeRo, and the guy goes down like he was shot, and just lies there motionless for like a minute.

How do you not send a player off for shit like that? hahaha.

- Scott

TFCAlbertaGirl
03-28-2009, 07:20 PM
i wanna see what Vitti, Guevara, and De Ro can do together, particularly at home.
there could be a lot of magic between them.
YES! That would be immensely magical.:hump:

Inswingingwingman
03-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Maybe the RPB should devise a wee trophy of a diver and get the engraving done DOM award. Diver of the Match. Then send it to the team, gift wrapped. He sure won it.

Problem is we might have to award it to Amando now and then LOL.

egoodwin
03-28-2009, 07:51 PM
smoke at 81:45 looked great

and watching the replay here, looks like Sutton has no problem at all seeing the ball

we're left with 4 points from the road, and one hell of an atmospheric picture

TFCAlbertaGirl
03-28-2009, 08:02 PM
It's alot more relaxing to watch the second time round

dag
03-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Just watched the re-broadcast. Forgive me, but I thought we had a generally poor outing today. The game itself was rather lifeless, but Columbus on the whole was stronger. The penalty - I think you could legitimately argue that was an instance of ball to (upper) arm. Nonetheless, we were very fortunate with the single point.

Nuvinho
03-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Harmse........I don't know what to say. He makes horrible passes, exposing the player who he is passing the ball to. As well, what with his swan dance whenever the ball is coming at him, is he afraid of the ball??

Smith needs a lot of work, but did make one or two good defensive plays.

miketfcfan
03-28-2009, 08:14 PM
watched the game on my laptop in a beach bar in Anguilla with TFC gear on lol - representing..anyway shitty game from both teams, loved TFC support tough - we had a smaller number in KC but we did good too...we missed couple of our regulars in this game for sure ...bring on Seattle!!

twistedchinaman
03-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Shaky stuff from both sides. Can't wait for the photos from the game to emerge!

Erkan16
03-28-2009, 08:17 PM
whoever brought the smoke has made me proud.... although i would have liked to see it done in the first half on the Crew keeper instead of on Sutton.

not a pretty match, but anytime you can steal two points from your opponents and keep one for yourself its a good day.

Nuvinho
03-28-2009, 08:23 PM
whoever brought the smoke has made me proud.... although i would have liked to see it done in the first half on the Crew keeper instead of on Sutton.

Yes.....wouldn't it of been better to blind the Columbus goalie instead of ours?

I have seen it happen at BMO field as well.

Canadian Blue
03-28-2009, 08:36 PM
I have no idea how Ricketts with his pedigree can shine in this league? Why is he not even fit enough to last 90 minutes? Rohan is doing too much promo shite and not enough training.

RR is a top class bloke but he needs to up his skills

Stryker
03-28-2009, 08:47 PM
My personal analysis

- Ricketts defends like he's got his pants around his ankles
- Smith was HORRIBLE .... even worse than Ricketts
- We'd be screwed without DeRo and that was an off game for him
- Sutts and Frei were both great
- Barrett sucked as I predicted (fragile confidence)
- Serioux was great (anyway we can clone him?)
- I thought Velez and Harmse played well but for one goof for each
- Cronin will be a star in a couple years
- Vitti has nice ball skills but he needs to start producing results

Nuvinho
03-28-2009, 08:50 PM
^^ I agree with you on almost all of it, but Harmse is horrible.....he doesn't like to get hit by the ball, hence putting up his hands and turning away from the ball.

ExiledRed
03-28-2009, 08:55 PM
^^The handball call was harsh. I've never been a fan of Harmse, but he played well today and that call shouldn't take that away from him.

LucaGol
03-28-2009, 08:58 PM
My personal analysis

- Ricketts defends like he's got his pants around his ankles
- Smith was HORRIBLE .... even worse than Ricketts
- We'd be screwed without DeRo and that was an off game for him
- Sutts and Frei were both great
- Barrett sucked as I predicted (fragile confidence)
- Serioux was great (anyway we can clone him?)
- I thought Velez and Harmse played well but for one goof for each
- Cronin will be a star in a couple years
- Vitti has nice ball skills but he needs to start producing results

Harmse was actually our biggest liability on the field:

- gave away a silly pk
- giveaway that directly lead to a great scoring opportunity for Columbus (the one Frei made his best save on ... also where he got injured)
- played danger balls to his teammates all game
- too nonchalant when he's on the ball

Harmse and Velez gave me nightmares the entire game.

Nuvinho
03-28-2009, 08:59 PM
^^The handball call was harsh. I've never been a fan of Harmse, but he played well today and that call shouldn't take that away from him.

I agree.....the handball call was harsh. But, I have noticed in the 1st game and also today, that Harmse turns away too much when getting in front of shots. As well, on corner kicks didn't want to put his head in the way. You can see some of the defenders were a little upset at him.

Inklink
03-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Not too pumped with TFC's play. Columbus played well, even though they're missing players too, if I heard correctly.

BUT, 4 points .. can't complain really. Stupid PK against Harmse, it was hit right at his side, his arm wasn't extended or anything. What else was he supposed to do?

Either way, I agree, Carver going "Shhhh" to the Crew fans was priceless.

Kinda' wished the traveling TFC fans got a win :) . Those guys were awesome though.

Good on the Crew fans to show up ;) . Really, it created a better atmosphere. Although there were still empty seats, last year's crowd was just awful.

TEEEE OHHH ARRR

ExiledRed
03-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Does DeRo clock the assist?

Lucky Strike
03-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Does DeRo clock the assist?

Sadly no. I have him on my fantasy team and it would have been nice, but no dice.

ExiledRed
03-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Is the seattle match streaming anywhere? I want to get a look at next weeks opponent.

rocker
03-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Is the seattle match streaming anywhere? I want to get a look at next weeks opponent.

MLS match center ($20 for the whole season).
great service.. high quality.

devioustrevor
03-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Whoever gave Serioux the 6.5, I strongly disagree. I feel he was a 7, maybe even an 8. The last 20 minutes of the game he disrupted almost every Columbus forward move. Winning the ball in 1-on-2 challenges, intercepting passes and quickly moving the ball forward. He was great.

Despite Midfield being our strength, we also got to realize we have some troubling depth issues there. People complain about RR, but if he doesn't play, then who does? Johann Smith?

We got Amado, DeRo, Robbo and Cronin, after them RR is our best Midfielder. Considering after those first 4 I mentioned, our next best central midfielder is Harmse, that says something. That is unless you move Serioux up to Defensive Middie, but then we have to rely on Velez and Harmse on the backline. Hopefully after Gala works out whatever issues he's having he comes back an improved player. I sort of wish we still had Joey Melo so we wouldn't have to rely on Harmse in the Midfield.

wzhxvy
03-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Agree I got Match Centre today and its a great service for just $20 bucks.

devioustrevor
03-28-2009, 09:31 PM

http://www.channelsurfing.net (http://www.channelsurfing.net/)

Check the listings at 10:30 PM

devioustrevor
03-28-2009, 09:33 PM
I also love how every time JB made a forward run, Cronin made sure to cover that flank. That's real heady playing.

TFC07
03-28-2009, 09:36 PM
My points:

- When is MO going to get a CB?! When need one ASAP!

- Vitti should start instead of Barrett.

- Too bad we don't have a decent winger to replace Ricketts on starting line-up.

- Sutton and Frei were both brilliant today. I wonder who is going to start next game.

- Harmse should be benched in the next game. Velez should take his place on starting line-up.

- Overall, this game was awful to watch, but kudos to TFC fans who were at the game. You guys did well with your chants! :)

TFC USA
03-28-2009, 09:45 PM
The KKKrew fans called the TFC fans uncivil and one of them said a draw should be called a "Canadian win".

What tools.

devioustrevor
03-28-2009, 09:49 PM
I really enjoyed reading this:

Did anyone else see the TFC 'luche libre' dude knock the guy out in the east gate right at the final whistle?

Pre punch the guy had one nose. Post punch, he had two!

Sab0tage
03-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Is the seattle match streaming anywhere? I want to get a look at next weeks opponent. Seattle's atmosphere from last week is no where to be found.

devioustrevor
03-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Seattle's atmosphere from last week is no where to be found.

Aren't they playing away this week though? Did we have a huge travelling contingent for our first road game?

dantdot
03-28-2009, 09:59 PM
^ No they're playing at home

devioustrevor
03-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Hejduk just scored the tying goal in the US-El Salvador game.

dantdot
03-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Speak of the devil, 1-0 Seattle

devioustrevor
03-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Speak of the devil, 1-0 Seattle

I'll be switching feeds over to that game after the US-ES game.

wzhxvy
03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
I am not sure if you guys have read big soccer but evidently it was not a pretty scene after the game...accounts of arrests and lots of trouble. I guess we will wait to hear the full story tomorrow but it sound ugly.

Vince Whirlwind
03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Seattle's been ripping RSL apart...

Sab0tage
03-28-2009, 10:13 PM
I am not sure if you guys have read big soccer but evidently it was not a pretty scene after the game...accounts of arrests and lots of trouble. I guess we will wait to hear the full story tomorrow but it sound ugly. It was bound to happen, With the amount of crap that's been thrown back in forth. As bad as it sounds.

devioustrevor
03-28-2009, 10:15 PM
I am not sure if you guys have read big soccer but evidently it was not a pretty scene after the game...accounts of arrests and lots of trouble. I guess we will wait to hear the full story tomorrow but it sound ugly.

It was bound to happen, With the amount of crap that's been thrown back in forth. As bad as it sounds.

I read about mace, tasers and 20 police cruisers being called in as back-up. I think it is safe to say we are now one-half of the best rivalry in MLS.

wzhxvy
03-28-2009, 10:15 PM
^^^I agree but I hope our guys did not start the trouble....evidently there was mace and chase downs etc lol...it sounds funny but I mean seriously...I think these road trips maybe attracting the type of trouble makers that seem to find a way of getting into trouble no matter what they are involved in....

Sab0tage
03-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Apparently a helicopter was called in, too.

Troublemakers will associate themselves with TFC but may not really be "hardcore" supporters. The problem is crap like this paints a picture, and soon the entire league will view all of our supporters the same way.

wzhxvy
03-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Here it is:

"Lotta crap going on afterward. There was some light pushing and shoving on the upper concourse, but that was mainly due to the absolute asinine security plan. Toronto should have been secluded for a while after the whistle. It would have took care of a great deal of the problems.

Anyway, some stuff spilled onto the lower concourse. Mace was used. One Toronto dude was handcuffed. Everybody just sort of lingered around and the macho beer courage contests continued until a larger police presence arrived.

Then the helicopter flew in. Then the cops started buggin' out. Doing 60 mph in a parking lot full of children isn't wise, but I saw several patrol cars pull that shit off. Pretty crazy stuff and probably a tab bit more eventful than the West Ham affair.

I will also echo the sentiments regarding Toronto's behavior. Just foul people. Mexican supporters in February behaved better. "

S_D
03-28-2009, 10:22 PM
wow, just read the post from hard hat mike on B.S.

As for the extracurriculars after the game, lots of pepper spray and people in red :eek: taking swings at Columbus' finest.:eek: That didn't go over so well. Eventually, half of the CPD showed up as backup (Shawn Mitchell said he counted 20 cruisers from the top of the concourse), the helicopter just about landed on a HSH when he tried to pull a Blake and didn't have the stamina to pull it off. Ambulances show up after that and people calmed down. Plenty of blame to go around on both sides.

lets see what is in "that paper" tomorrow.

BRed
03-28-2009, 10:23 PM
lol..Hope anyone who was wearing red is alright. The stupid Columbus cops are probably giving them a beat down..I think if we find out there was any kind of mistreatment to the TFC fans we should boycott going to their next home game and have them go bankrupt.

Sab0tage
03-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, he makes it sound as if we were the major ones causing trouble, then says there was plenty of blame on both sides. We'll see tomorrow, but if pissing on a fence was a major story in the news I wonder what this will be like.

Sab0tage
03-28-2009, 10:27 PM
From Crewture:

**On the after game stuff. No reason to make a big deal out of it and sensationalize it. It is what it is right now. With any rivalry and fans on both sides a little irked that their team didn't win, there is going to be some of that, especially when security shepards them down the same exit. No reason to make a big deal out of it. I don't think anyone found it unexpected considering the circumstances. And, it's just a bunch of people playing the role of tough guy on both sides and nothing really ever happens. Until security at MLS games across the board understands not to allow fans to congregate together after a heated game, then why blame Toronto fans or Crew fans? After a while it just becomes old news. It's just some people are going to do that and alright except it, step around it, move along. That's just the stituation until security gets a bit tougher. And, basically for most of it, it was just people chanting at each other.

That's the end of my comments on that. If Rumors sensationalizes it with a bunch of OMG Crew fans or Toronto fans are at fault. I'm just going to ignore it. Because it's just some on both sides to be honest and really nothing noteworthy ever happens.

wzhxvy
03-28-2009, 10:27 PM
ambulances are not a good sign...I hope everyone is OK...and I do have to say, this culture of non stop drinking that some of our guys have, does not help these situations. I will wait until I hear more before I comment further but there is nothing good about getting a criminal record or being arrested in the US specifically but anywhere for that matter...nothing...it can impact your career, life, etc...

smeghead
03-28-2009, 10:33 PM
The Seattle game next week for sure aint gonna be a cake walk.

Kickit09
03-28-2009, 10:34 PM
funny how colmbus fans get into fights with fans from teams all across MLS and even west ham. yet we are the trouble makers even though the only fans we've gotten into fights with are columbus fans (and montreal that one time).

egoodwin
03-28-2009, 10:35 PM
MLS match center ($20 for the whole season).
great service.. high quality.
was so much better than the TFC feed, except for the commentary

BRed
03-28-2009, 10:38 PM
About the fight..let's wait til the calvary come back home tommorrow. But seriously, why are we fighting Colombus people? I don't see how they justify that kind of reaction from us, there is nothing good about their city or team. Anywho! I really want to watch the Seattle game to know if they are consistent from last week. Anyone who is watching how is their play? Atmosphere?

S_D
03-28-2009, 10:38 PM
The Seattle game next week for sure aint gonna be a cake walk.

Yeah been watching them. RSL has been giving them tons of space, and they are getting nailed.

half time

edit: sorry posted the wrong link.

http://atdhe.net/live-tv-5672.html

mclaren
03-28-2009, 10:39 PM
--There was quite a ruckus caused by fans exiting the stadium, most of them wearing red. Some punches were thrown and pepper spray was used. There were at least 20 Columbus police cruisers on hand.

The highlight from my vantage point on the concourse had to be the perp running toward the railroad tracks who eventually ran out of gas and was taken down with a perfect form tackle by one of the city's finest.

http://blog.dispatch.com/crew/2009/03/crew_1_toronto_fc_1.shtml

Erkan16
03-28-2009, 10:41 PM
i dont want to start a whole American/Canadian thing here... but how dumb do they have to be to let opposing supporters leave through the same exit.

its things like this that support the worlds view of Americans and soccer as uneducated.

Sab0tage
03-28-2009, 10:42 PM
About the fight..let's wait til the calvary come back home tommorrow. But seriously, why are we fighting Colombus people? I don't see how they justify that kind of reaction from us, there is nothing good about their city or team. Anywho! I really want to watch the Seattle game to know if they are consistent from last week. Anyone who is watching how is their play? Atmosphere? They are playing pretty well, but once again their opponent has been making it easy for them. And the atmosphere is no where near last week.

Kickit09
03-28-2009, 10:44 PM
About the fight..let's wait til the calvary come back home tommorrow. But seriously, why are we fighting Colombus people? I don't see how they justify that kind of reaction from us, there is nothing good about their city or team. Anywho! I really want to watch the Seattle game to know if they are consistent from last week. Anyone who is watching how is their play? Atmosphere?

if you read that letter on MLSR sent by columbus supporters they were clearly looking for trouble. no one in their right mind is going to go to america looking to get arrested. BUT sometimes you need to fight back. i have no doubt thats exactly what happened.

Oblio2
It shows how much we missed Robbo today.
The game itself was shit.
I still don't rate Vitti. Didn't do a thing. Velez played well...Serioux has been great. Both our keepers made great saves.
Barrat is...Barrat.
Still, best start we've had...ride the wave and fuck the Sounders next week

Sab0tage
RSL actually brought about 20 fans to Seattle, pretty surprising and good to see.

cy43
03-28-2009, 10:46 PM
i dont want to start a whole American/Canadian thing here... but how dumb do they have to be to let opposing supporters leave through the same exit.

its things like this that support the worlds view of Americans and soccer as uneducated.

Same thing happened at BMO last year, so no need to make it about Can US, the MLS needs a policy on traveling support.

graeme117
03-28-2009, 10:47 PM

didn't our security march their supporters out way to early at bmo?

BRed
03-28-2009, 10:50 PM
if you read that letter on MLSR sent by columbus supporters they were clearly looking for trouble. no one in their right mind is going to go to america looking to get arrested. BUT sometimes you need to fight back. i have no doubt thats exactly what happened.

You guys think we should set something up for people who are stuck down there and are maybe not being treated properly??

I have a feeling too that we were'nt the instigators which makes this hard to think of and not being able to do anything about it.

BRed
03-28-2009, 10:50 PM
didn't our security march their supporters out way to early at bmo?

I don't think any of their supporters will show up this time around.

wzhxvy
03-28-2009, 10:53 PM
I suggest we wait to actually here the real news before we react...if we ever get the real story

Btw, watching the Seattle game...Casey Keller is 39 and he looks it lol...we need to abuse him next week...should be fun ! :-)

EGP
03-28-2009, 10:53 PM

- Scott
you are so right!! everyone crucifies Harmse for every mistake. bottom line: it was a shite call, and if the same was called on Jimmy or Marv we would all be in a riot!

kitchener-TFC
03-28-2009, 10:55 PM
The KKKrew fans called the TFC fans uncivil and one of them said a draw should be called a "Canadian win".

What tools.
ahaha.

btw, what exactly did carver do when he "shushed" the KKKrew fans? I missed the game.

EGP
03-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Vitti suprised me, in the tenacity he showed I liked what I saw, clearly good footy IQ for this league.
De Ro should be the focus of our offence in attack.
Dichio is still a better all around striker then Barrett , other then the lack of speed. Barrett is better suited for the in the whole striker rather then the "point" [ translated from Italian].
Cronin showed me alot, he is shows a good understading for the game, particullarly for a NCAA rookie player.
Ricketts clearly had a sub-par game, but is still one of our top 5 mids.
Smith worked hard, and cotributed through effort but just is not a great all around player.
Wynne good game.
Brennan average game for him.
Serioux, was good. But we still need another CB.
Harmse is just to foul prone.
Sutton looked good.

you are an idiot. harmse didn't get a foul all game. i'm learning that it's cool to shit talk about Harmse and Velez

Corcai
03-28-2009, 10:59 PM
EGP,

Splitting hairs or what?

EGP
03-28-2009, 11:04 PM
haha. i just read the thread and realized that when there is nothing left to say, we bash harmse and velez

Yohan
03-28-2009, 11:04 PM
TFC was lucky to get a point out of Columbus.

Was a frustrating game to watch, esp first half. Seemed like the boys gave Columbus too much respect and almost got ran over in first 20mins. Needed to be more aggressive and take more chances when given that split second to shoot outside the box. Couple of lost chances to take a shot in first half due to hesitation.

Harmse handball... Seemed a tough call. He was turning around, hands not flailing and close to chest and Shitlicker kicked the ball pretty much right at him. Seemed more ball to hand than hand to ball to me.

Lucky on own goal. TFC definitely missed Guevara in mid. Didnt help that DeRo had an off game

Frei good. Sutton was MoM. Made couple of crucial saves and had good judgement collecting dangerous balls into the box. Good to know TFC has two good keepers

Going to watch the game again and make better judgement on players

mr k
03-28-2009, 11:05 PM
seattle atmosphere is nowhere near their first week; but still better than the average MLS stadium. as a team, seattle is still looking good - better than TFC in year 1.

EGP
03-28-2009, 11:06 PM
i think we came away with a great result today. we are lucky to have solid guys like velez and harmse. velez throw ins were an asset due to serioux injury and harmse, despite what has been said, played solid in mid field. he didn't give the ball away and kept pressure off the defense (minus the shite pk)

Kevvv
03-28-2009, 11:10 PM
you are an idiot.

Welcome to the board. How long did it take to form that impression?

harmse didn't get a foul all game. i'm learning that it's cool to shit talk about Harmse and Velez

He managed to be involved in the play that got a penalty called against us. So what word covers fouls and having your arm in the wrong place at the wrong time?

ThunderTundra
03-28-2009, 11:11 PM
I think we looked a little shaky for sure tonight. I'm going to chalk it up to homesickness (though with the amount of fans in C**bus, maybe not) I'm sure we will come into better form as the season moves along, but still we are miles above last years quality. The fact that we managed to make it a draw (ie. not allow more goals) show that we can stick around with teams and fight out a point from games we never would have before.

Kevvv
03-28-2009, 11:11 PM
i think we came away with a great result today. we are lucky to have solid guys like velez and harmse. velez throw ins were an asset due to serioux injury and harmse, despite what has been said, played solid in mid field. he didn't give the ball away and kept pressure off the defense (minus the shite pk)

Completely agree

EGP
03-28-2009, 11:15 PM
haha. touche. i'm just trying to point out that "minus the pk" he had a pretty good game. he didn't boot the ball till it got close to the end. and, he made some good decisions that we didn't see him do in the past. i'm giving him a shot;) i think in a year you guys will stop talking shit about him and move onto serioux and his lack of shape.

Kevvv
03-28-2009, 11:21 PM
i think in a year you guys will stop talking shit about him and move onto serioux and his lack of shape.

Not until we finish discussing why 24 year old Barrett isn't fit enough to last 80 minutes.

MFG1
03-28-2009, 11:22 PM
we have our 4 points we needed last year, that would have got us into the playoffs last year. great start!!

yanggoh
03-28-2009, 11:23 PM
anybody watching this seattle game? montero just scored again.

wzhxvy
03-28-2009, 11:24 PM
yup and what a goal...we are going to have our hands full next week

DoubleUp
03-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Ricketts has Toronto pro athlete syndrome, we've coddled him so much forgot why
he is here. Sometimes in toronto we're to nice to our pro athletes.

EGP
03-28-2009, 11:26 PM
no kidding!! and who's bright idea was it to give barret a huge raise?? i mean he doesnt completely suck, but the guy can't finish a game. we need someone to anchor the offense....i know this is far fetched; but, i'd like to see a proper striker, that can score one goal every third game, and who can play 90 minutes....pretty please.

Corcai
03-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Serioux concerned me late in the first half but seemed to find confidence and made a few bold plays in the 2nd. The last two seasons it sometimes seemed that we played well enough for the win or draw but had one or two plays deflate us.

Tonight, I don't think we deserved a win (maybe a draw) and we got the away point.

I think it speaks volumes when a team that should lose, picks up an away point. In the past two seasons we haven't been so lucky.

The keepers excelled beyond expectations tonight.

EGP
03-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Ricketts has Toronto pro athlete syndrome, we've coddled him so much forgot why
he is here. Sometimes in toronto we're to nice to our pro athletes.

ricketts is smart. he kisses the fans asses...and the coaches. kinda makes it hard to hate him when he's insufficient. i think the accent has put us under a spell. haha

EGP
03-28-2009, 11:33 PM
just think if velez or harmse had a british accent.....we would look at them completely different. hahaha. i could see harmse sayin "what's poppin?" and "my nick name is rohan ricketts"

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2009, 11:38 PM
My personal frustration from today was the linesman on the side near the Crew supporters. That piece of shit douchebag spent the entire game with his fucking eyeballs glued to the referee instead of following the flow of the game. I was in 116 and had a good vantage point to watch the activity on the line. I watched the ball going out and the guy was not looking at the line AT ALL, he was staring at the ref. People I know from Detroit who were over in the Crew supporters section told me they noticed the same thing. Garbage!

Corcai
03-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Carver was concerned about the sloppiness of the play moving the ball down the pitch. Dichio was the only one I saw actually improving on this as the game went on.

Bravo to Carver and Danny D, I noticed the difference in the 2nd half

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Wow, what a blah game. Unlucky on the penalty call, lucky on the own goal. Disappointed in Ricketts and Barrett. Ricketts looks a full step slower this season. I’d like to see Smith and even Gala push him for playing time. Pleased to see Carver making some substitutions before garbage time, something he hasn’t done too much in his time with TFC.

EGP
03-28-2009, 11:46 PM
i wish we could get more time out of DD. Carver did well to sub early....for once.

Jeffro
03-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Pleased to see Carver making some substitutions before garbage time, something he hasn’t done too much in his time with TFC.

He didn't have any players on the bench for most of last season that he had much confidence in

EGP
03-28-2009, 11:52 PM
so true. what a unusual feeling it must be. confidence in guys off the bench??

Kickit09
nevermind

rocker
Pleased to see Carver making some substitutions before garbage time, something he hasn’t done too much in his time with TFC.

Really? Carver made lots of changes before garbage time last year.
I've heard that comment made by others before, but I took a look at all the game reports from last year, and Carver regularly made substitutions before garbage time.

Sab0tage
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM
anyone else think its a little odd that mls keep giving columbus home field advantage for the trillium cup. every year 2 games are played in columbus and 1 in toronto. by the end of this season we'll have played columbus 9 times, 6 in columbus 3 in toronto. just seems very unbalanced and a little unfair. There was one game in Columbus last year and two in Toronto.

rocker
03-29-2009, 12:08 AM
just on the substitution thang....

according to the stats, in 2008 Carver made 75 subs in 30 games last year (2.5 per game... probably as close an average as one might want considering you only get 3 per game).

Of those 75 subs, 47 came before the 75th minute.
33 of those came before the 65th minute.... so he changed 1 player before the 65th in more than every game, and then in about half the rest of the games, he changed a 2nd player before garbage time.

The average minute for Carver's subs to come in was the 67th minute.

Seems about right to me. He seems to have a quick hook if you are really screwing around out there (having changed whole batches of players at or shortly after half in some games last year). If you perform half decently, you stay.

Kickit09
03-29-2009, 12:09 AM
There was one game in Columbus last year and two in Toronto.

my bad, i just looked it up and your right. i only made it to one of the columbus games last year so i thought there were 2 in columbus.

Brooker
03-29-2009, 12:10 AM
i'm speechless.

EGP
03-29-2009, 12:12 AM
great stats. where did you get that info.? and are those averaged out? so some games he could have made very early subs vs. extremely late ones?

EGP
03-29-2009, 12:14 AM
all i know, is i like to see danny d before the 88th minute

Kickit09
03-29-2009, 12:15 AM
i even remember him using up all 3 subs at the half one game last year. but ive had a lot to drink tonight so i could be wrong about that too.

the-lower-eastsider
03-29-2009, 12:16 AM
I am not sure if you guys have read big soccer but evidently it was not a pretty scene after the game...accounts of arrests and lots of trouble. I guess we will wait to hear the full story tomorrow but it sound ugly.hate to say i told u so but, i kinda called this. this is what i wrote last nite (about 12hrs before the match"):

quote:
"wish i was goin on this trip.
give em hell boys. give em some of that good ol fashioned red fury for me. just dont fuck w/the cops down there. these c-suckers already got a chip on their shoulder. believe u me. dont think they will behave like cops from toronto. first off, not only do they dislike canadians in general, they dislike soccer fans even more. i bet theyre gettin theyre billy clubs sharpened and theyre tasers charged up right now. and somebody in red's gonna be on the receiving end if theyre not smart. maybe i'm wrong but my spidy senses say that tensions will be higher than last year. and that goes for altercations between their supporters and our supporters at the match. i see a few clashes happening. more than last year. and most of that i put to canada/US differences. i doubt security will be adequate and fair".
end quote
lump

rocker
03-29-2009, 12:19 AM
great stats. where did you get that info.? and are those averaged out? so some games he could have made very early subs vs. extremely late ones?

here are my numbers, taken from the game reports last year.

Columbus 2 - 0 Toronto FC
Kevin Harmse for Todd Dunivant (65)
Daniele Dichio for Tyler Hemming (66)

DC United 4 - 1 Toronto FC
Andrea Lombardo for Jeff Cunningham (64)
Tyler Rosenlund for Laurent Robert (83)
Tyler Hemming for Daniele Dichio (84)

Los Angeles 2 - 3 Toronto FC
Jeff Cunningham for Daniele Dichio (65)
Todd Dunivant for Jarrod Smith (73)
Tyler Rosenlund for Laurent Robert (90)

Toronto FC 1 - 0 Real Salt Lake
Todd Dunivant for Laurent Robert (81)
Jarrod Smith for Rohan Ricketts (84)
Jeff Cunningham for Daniele Dichio (90)

Toronto FC 2 - 0 Kansas City
Jeff Cunningham for Daniele Dichio (66)
Todd Dunivant for Rohan Ricketts (79)
Jarrod Smith for Laurent Robert (83)

Toronto FC 1 - 1 New York Red Bulls
Jarrod Smith for Rohan Ricketts (75)
Jeff Cunningham for Daniele Dichio (84)

Toronto FC 0 - 0 Columbus
Jeff Cunningham for Daniele Dichio (63)
Kevin Harmse for Maurice Edu (83)
Jarrod Smith for Rohan Ricketts (87)

Toronto FC 1 - 0 DC United
Jarrod Smith for Rohan Ricketts (51)
Todd Dunivant for Laurent Robert (64)

DC United 3 - 2 Toronto FC
Olivier Tebily for Tyrone Marshall (51)
Jeff Cunningham for Daniele Dichio (75)
Jarrod Smith for Rohan Ricketts (74)

Toronto FC 2 - 0 Los Angeles
Julius James for Olivier Tebily (18)
Nana Attakora-Gyan for Jarrod Smith (87)

Houston 3 - 1 Toronto FC
Tyrone Marshall for Marco Velez (46)
Laurent Robert for Todd Dunivant (46)
Daniele Dichio for Rohan Ricketts (54)

Toronto FC 3 - 1 Colorado
Jarrod Smith for Daniele Dichio (78)

Toronto FC 0 - 0 Kansas City
Amado Guevara for Jeff Cunningham (57)
Jim Brennan for Todd Dunivant (58)
Maurice Edu for Kevin Harmse (59)

New England 2 - 1 Toronto FC
Jeff Cunningham for Daniele Dichio (56)
Jarrod Smith for Laurent Robert (64)
Julius James for Rohan Ricketts (65)

Chicago 2 - 1 Toronto FC
Abdus Ibrahim for Julius James (45)
Rohan Ricketts for Jarrod Smith (45)

Toronto FC 0 - 0 San Jose
Jeff Cunningham for Tyler Rosenlund (70)

Real Salt Lake 2 - 1 Toronto FC
Jeff Cunningham for Jarrod Smith (65)

Toronto FC 0 - 2 Dallas
Tyler Hemming for Julius James (65)
Jarrod Smith for Chad Barrett (70)
Kevin Harmse for Jeff Cunningham (87)

Colorado 0 - 1 Toronto FC
Tyler Rosenlund for Tyrone Marshall (32)
Gabe Gala for Rohan Ricketts (78)
Daniele Dichio for Chad Barrett (82)

New York Red Bulls 2 - 0 Toronto FC
Daniele Dichio for Abdus Ibrahim (46)
Johann Smith for Laurent Robert (46)
Jarrod Smith for Daniele Dichio (49)

Toronto FC 1 - 1 New England
Tyler Rosenlund for Kevin Harmse (62)
Abdus Ibrahim for Chad Barrett (78)
Johann Smith for Rohan Ricketts (88)

Chivas USA 2 - 1 Toronto FC
Johann Smith for Julius James (58)
Abdus Ibrahim for Chad Barrett (64)

Toronto FC 1 - 3 Chivas USA
Derek Gaudet for Diaz Kambere (63)

Toronto FC 1 - 1 Columbus
Daniele Dichio for Chad Barrett (62)
Tyler Rosenlund for Amado Guevara (87)
Jarrod Smith for Carl Robinson (87)

Kansas City 2 - 0 Toronto FC
Daniele Dichio for Carlos Ruiz (54)
Abdus Ibrahim for Chad Barrett (54)
Johann Smith for Hunter Freeman (66)

Toronto FC 1 - 1 Houston
Johann Smith for Rohan Ricketts (56)
Abdus Ibrahim for Daniele Dichio (64)
Jarrod Smith for Chad Barrett (76)

New York Red Bulls 1 - 3 Toronto FC
Johann Smith for Rohan Ricketts (74)
Abdus Ibrahim for Chad Barrett (80)

Dallas 2 - 2 Toronto FC
Jarrod Smith for Rohan Ricketts (61)
Abdus Ibrahim for Johann Smith (83)
Julius James for Chad Barrett (90)

Toronto FC 3 - 2 Chicago
Nana Attakora-Gyan for Marvell Wynne (46)
Carlos Ruiz for Chad Barrett (73)
Johann Smith for Rohan Ricketts (90)

San Jose 2-0 Toronto FC
Jarrod Smith for Johann Smith (46)
Carlos Ruiz for Daniele Dichio (47)
Abdus Ibrahim for Carlos Ruiz (81)

75 subs in 30 games -- 2.5 subs per game
47 subs before 75th minute
33 subs before 65th minute
avg 67th minute
28% of subs 80+ minute

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Can’t argue with the stats. I guess I just feel that he never uses Smith properly and was pleased to see him putting him in today at "right time" (in my opinion). Now if they’d just use Gala occasionally, I’d be a happy camper.

Slightly OT, it’s too bad they got rid of the reserve league. I know we don’t have the large development roster anymore, but there’s still going to be a number of players riding the pine a lot this season. I still think they should have entered a reserve team in the CSL instead of the academy teams.

Lucky Strike
03-29-2009, 12:29 AM
About the alleged post-match scuffles and what not, you really can't trust what is said on the Columbus boards, it's obviously going to be biased. They can write about it faster than our people because they can just get home an hour later, while our boys have a long trip back. We have to wait to hear from them.

Shway
03-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Velez was better start him and serioux ...velez bench
Chad wannabe Wayne needs to be on the bench...and start DICHIO!!!
ROHAN....Rohan.......r-o-h-a-n....needs to get his act together
and last but not least CRONIN IS NOT A FLANK MAN!!!!!

Kevvv
03-29-2009, 12:39 AM
About the alleged post-match scuffles and what not, you really can't trust what is said on the Columbus boards, it's obviously going to be biased. They can write about it faster than our people because they can just get home an hour later, while our boys have a long trip back. We have to wait to hear from them.

FUCKING 1-1 WEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY fuck off Clownbus crew you cunts!
SIIICCCCCK beer time... FUCKING WEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Pics of game, smoke show,police brutality coming LMFAO fuck offfffffff...

Details to follow, no doubt

Gixmo
03-29-2009, 12:41 AM
I didnt see no altercation? There was a log jam of people and some police pushing people around. There was one cop who had a taser jammed right into the back of some guy, manhandling him out the gate right in front of me. Cop was losin it but buddy seemed to play it cool.. ? We waited a little bit to celebrate?

What I can tell you was there was smoke, lots of smoke :p

EGP
03-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Velez was better start him and serioux ...velez bench
Chad wannabe Wayne needs to be on the bench...and start DICHIO!!!
ROHAN....Rohan.......r-o-h-a-n....needs to get his act together
and last but not least CRONIN IS NOT A FLANK MAN!!!!!

velez is more of a liability. he had numerous fouls last year and was carded on several occasions for loosing his temper. he's not terrible and did well tonight, but harmse is the guy. he's the best we have for that position. and we need to get used to it. when he gets carded it's usually a shite call due to reputation, or it's for a hard tackle. i'll take a hard tackle over a hot temper any day.
Rohan hasn't done anything positive thus far. why is he even getting rated? chad has choked, but ricketts is invisible.

Kevvv
03-29-2009, 12:48 AM
A couple of times in the second half, the reds were chanting "This is Our House/Get the Fuck Out", like during that series of corners they had. There also seemed something going on in the stands (couldn't see anything, but looked like people were looking at something in 2nd or 3rd row).

What was that chant about, Crew supporters in our end, or cops/security?

stu!
03-29-2009, 02:07 AM

The simplest answer is this; for the most part, Americans just don't care for soccer.

I saw people in the east stands that were clearly there because they were given free tickets and simply had nothing else to do on a Saturday afternoon in Columbus. They looked completely disinterested.

I also though smoke-bombing our own keeper was out of line. I know they probably weren't aiming for him but they sure smoked him out of his box at one point.

Most of the team was in the bar where we were after the game and I'm kicking myself for not asking him what he was thinking at that moment.

Roogsy
03-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Smoke bombing our own keeper was by far the stupidest thing I have seen. And there are some pretty stupid people that accompany us down on this Columbus trip in particular so that is saying something. Idiots. :rolleyes:

koryo
03-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Smoke bombing our own keeper was by far the stupidest thing I have seen. And there are some pretty stupid people that accompany us down on this Columbus trip in particular so that is saying something. Idiots. :rolleyes:

I was wondering why our own fans would smoke out Sutton. Not the brightest move in the world.

Roogsy
03-29-2009, 10:00 AM
2 straight years in the stands of this season kick-off fixture has made me realize that this "big" trip to Columbus in particular brings with us some idiots that otherwise do not accompany us on other trips. I dunno if they think it's a chance to act like "green street hooligans" or if they honestly believe this is how away supporters should behave, but frankly I am tired of quite a few of them. They know NOTHING of how to support a team and are only there to get drunk and cause problems.

MartinUtd
03-29-2009, 11:00 AM
2 straight years in the stands of this season kick-off fixture has made me realize that this "big" trip to Columbus in particular brings with us some idiots that otherwise do not accompany us on other trips. I dunno if they think it's a chance to act like "green street hooligans" or if they honestly believe this is how away supporters should behave, but frankly I am tired of quite a few of them. They know NOTHING of how to support a team and are only there to get drunk and cause problems.

Your right. I went last year and it was really really hostile. I had beer thrown at me and almost got in a fight with a fellow tfc supporter or some retarded shit. I think if I go back to Columbus it will be for a mid season game.

LucaGol
03-29-2009, 11:03 AM
I think the heightened awareness of Columbus supporters due to our rivalry with them (basically started by traveling support) should end after this season. If Columbus support was born out of the first trip to Crew Stadium in 2008, then I think it's time we kill it off. They're getting too much attention as it is.

Next year's large away trip should be to Red Bull Arena, or some other different venue.

DVS
03-29-2009, 11:14 AM
I think the heightened awareness of Columbus supporters due to our rivalry with them (basically started by traveling support) should end after this season. If Columbus support was born out of the first trip to Crew Stadium in 2008, then I think it's time we kill it off. They're getting too much attention as it is.

Next year's large away trip should be to Red Bull Arena, or some other different venue.

You can't stop something like that. Columbus is the nearest MLS city and the rivalry will stay as such. Besides, judging by the empty stadium any publicity is good publicity for the Crew and MLS

rocker
03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
the new Red Bull Arena will only be another 60km further a drive than Columbus from Toronto.. and those Island airport flights go right to the new joisey airport, which is only 10 mins away from the stadium. i'm thinking that might be a better away trip for the masses... bigger better stadium too.

mclaren
03-29-2009, 01:05 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3437/3395175934_7f685f9ffc.jpg?v=0

Keystone FC
03-29-2009, 01:26 PM
The simplest answer is this; for the most part, Americans just don't care for soccer.

Hey!:mad:

:D

Pachuco
03-29-2009, 01:31 PM
just on the substitution thang....

according to the stats, in 2008 Carver made 75 subs in 30 games last year (2.5 per game... probably as close an average as one might want considering you only get 3 per game).

Of those 75 subs, 47 came before the 75th minute.
33 of those came before the 65th minute.... so he changed 1 player before the 65th in more than every game, and then in about half the rest of the games, he changed a 2nd player before garbage time.

The average minute for Carver's subs to come in was the 67th minute.

Seems about right to me. He seems to have a quick hook if you are really screwing around out there (having changed whole batches of players at or shortly after half in some games last year). If you perform half decently, you stay.

Honestly these stats don't change my opinion that Carver is terrible at making and choosing substitutions. He constantly leaves guys out there when they looked absolutely exhausted and when they are performing horribly.

Having said that, Carver made the right moves in yesterday's game so I give him props for that.

Keystone FC
03-29-2009, 01:34 PM
You can't stop something like that. Columbus is the nearest MLS city and the rivalry will stay as such. Besides, judging by the empty stadium any publicity is good publicity for the Crew and MLS

This is true. I'm not just saying it because I live so close to CBus (1 hour away) but it is close by and the tickets are easy to get. Either through one of the supporter groups or even the Crew ticket office. A little over 14,000 for the defending champs home opener....:nonod:
But I also think if we did move our attention towards NY then there wouldn't be that many go to CBus and all the idiots that went to CBus would go to NY. Either way whatever game we say will be 'the one' will have idiots attached to the caravan.

Brooker
03-29-2009, 01:42 PM
John Carver shushing the Columbus fans was epic.

what did he do and when?

colman1860
03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Sorry all you Vitti fans, but he lost most of his one-on-one battles and got dispossessed far too many times for me to be happy with his game.

He lost the ball twice. I was counting. He won it more often than that with his slide tackles. Vitti was a beast out there.

ensco
03-29-2009, 02:21 PM
He lost the ball twice. I was counting. He won it more often than that with his slide tackles. Vitti was a beast out there.

Look I didn't use prozone, but it was obvious that Vitti struggled, with the exception of a couple of moves once Dichio was in. He was not comfortable. He did annoy the hell out of Hesmer on set pieces, which was great.

It was his first game, he got zero support (Barrett, Ricketts and St DeRo were all way off their games), and Columbus, who are very good defensively, marked him closely.

Not slagging anybody, but I think "incomplete" is the only grade that makes sense for him.

Super
03-29-2009, 02:22 PM

Seattle outsold even us in season tickets (if you look at season one - before we had a massive waiting list). I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that when it's really more a matter of certain markets that do not care about football. OR maybe the problem is in the marketing? Look at the Toronto Lynx. People could've easily said that people in Toronto don't care about football, when we all knew it had more to do with the product off and on the field. Also, USL is not that much worse than the standard of the MLS - let's be honest.

There might be thousands of genuine football fans in every MLS market, but they reject he product because the atmosphere isn't there. When teams stop marketing the product to soccer moms we might see full stadiums. DC and Houston is doing well - and so is Seattle. It's going to get better in the future. I'm sure of it!

Nomad
03-30-2009, 12:57 AM
I really enjoyed reading this:

Did anyone else see the TFC 'luche libre' dude knock the guy out in the east gate right at the final whistle?

Pre punch the guy had one nose. Post punch, he had two!

That person obviously wasn't there because that is not who did it.

tfctillidie
03-30-2009, 08:57 AM
haha I was at the TFC site and theres a poll on Who was the Toronto FC Man of the Match vs. Columbus?...I'm disappointed that Gino Padula is not on the selection :eek::noidea: haha

Technorgasm
03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
TFC was lucky to get a point out of Columbus.

Was a frustrating game to watch, esp first half. Seemed like the boys gave Columbus too much respect and almost got ran over in first 20mins. Needed to be more aggressive and take more chances when given that split second to shoot outside the box. Couple of lost chances to take a shot in first half due to hesitation.

Harmse handball... Seemed a tough call. He was turning around, hands not flailing and close to chest and Shitlicker kicked the ball pretty much right at him. Seemed more ball to hand than hand to ball to me.

Lucky on own goal. TFC definitely missed Guevara in mid. Didnt help that DeRo had an off game

Frei good. Sutton was MoM. Made couple of crucial saves and had good judgement collecting dangerous balls into the box. Good to know TFC has two good keepers

Going to watch the game again and make better judgement on players

here are the reasons why the above post is a model for posts in a Post match thread.

1 - game / player focused. as opposed to fans, tickets, trouble, ect.
2. Honest about game result and play
3. calls out specific players and their performances
4. MOTM nomination
5. creative nickmname for Opposing player
5. quick concise and readable

Thanks columbus, scored 2 goals, and got one point.

The complete first have was Columbus
Ekto was a fucking beast for them in the back and stripped our fwds 1 on 1 countless times.
De-ro without guevara, spent too muchtime cleaning up messes and was made to look average (which he is not) was forced to shoot from long range (and almost out of the stadium)

Ricketts played horribly, would not run to the corner or create a target, had a really off game. but, not Carvers fault. Cronin brings lots to the team, but not a left foot, and rickets willhave to stay onthe left. (shame we cant partner him with Marvel but. . Cronin will have to learn)

Penalty was a penalty, FACT wish it was a save.
Frei made 2 GLORIOUS saves to give us the point MOTM in my opinion, esp. considering he played hurt after save #2 for about 15 mins.

Sirioux was also a monster, played confident, safe footy. just waht we need in the back. . a LEADER

Dichio still has the magic, not sure if it was GBS coming off, or him coming on
but the lads seemed to be full of pepper and were not letting the ball through our midfield, still I wish there were more clear chances on net.

Fair result for the game as far as I see it.
Wish we could have potted one so there would be no talk of the own goal but.. . .thanks Padula.

mssion accomplished: celebrate a goal in CCS.

ps. EAT IT

Detroit_TFC
03-30-2009, 06:55 PM
There is some ridiculous mythology getting created about our conduct on Saturday and it's pissing me off. Archer's blog on BS is blaming Garber for not cracking down on us. Crazy stuff. Various one sided reports are circulating that make it sound like we rioted the entire time we were there.